PDA

View Full Version : Should Jim Buss Be Fired?

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2012, 07:47 AM
I know Jim Buss is not going to be fired. His father owns the team for crying out loud, but let's be honest. This guy is going a horrid job. When Jackson retired he and Kobe both put Brian Shaw forward as the heir apparent. Jim Buss didn't even include Kobe in the coaching conversation and went and hired a guy who was known for not being able to handle and offense. Brown is a great defensive coach, but everbody knows the guy can't run an offense.

When Jim Buss finally gets around to firing Brown, he is given an opprotunity to take in one of the best basketball minds in the game in Phil Jackson. Now, from rumours, Jackson was asking for a lot, he wanted a role similar to what Pat Riley has in Miami. Similar to what Red had with Boston. This is a chance for a special relationship. Jackson has done so much for the Lakers franchise (7 finals appearances? 5 championships?), and having him in the front office would have been a great move. But Jim Buss decided not to bring Jackson in. Was Jackson the only HOF coach available? No. Larry Brown has expressed and interest in returning to coaching, as has Jerry Sloan, and Sloan is perhaps the great pick-and-roll coach in the history of the game. Brian Shaw was available to talk to, and Nate McMillen is currently looking for a job as well, though neither has the HOF credentials of Jackson, Brown or Sloan. Not only did he ignore Bryant the first time he started looking for a coach, but he's ignored him again! and ignored Dwight!

What does Buss do instead? He doesn't even CALL Brown and Sloan. Instead he hires D'Antoni, who everybody knows is a polarization of Mike Brown. Sure, he can run an offense, but he can't run a defense to save his life! There were so many great options for coach, and Jim Buss didn't even take the time to explore them. Now he has hired two problematic coaches who even casual fans know are not the right person for the job. One that can't run and offense, and one that can't run a defense.

Not to mention bringing in Chaz the bartender and his own son as scouts. Not only will the Lakers not be coached well, but they won't be drafting well either.

Jim Buss made it clear when Jackson retired that he wanted to put his own "stamp" on the team. Well, in a couple short seasons he has done exactly that. He's passed up on a special opprotunity to invite one of the best basketball minds in the game to be a big part of the organization, and didn't even both to call up 2 of the 3 HOF coaches who would have wanted the job, and now he's traded in one set of problems in Mike Brown, for another set in Mike D'Antoni.

It seems clear to me that Jim Buss does not know how to run a basketball organization and that he has too much of an ego admit it. The Lakers are lucky in that they have an extrodinarily talented team that may make up for Jim Buss's inability to run a basketball team, but since Howard already forced an exit from Orlando because he wasn't consulted about the coaching situation (he was pushing for Jackson to coach Orlando, and expressed Jackson as being his choice for LA as well), it wouldn't be surprising to see him pass on LAL in free agency this year for ignoring his request to bring Jackson in and opting for a team that would be more inclined to listen to his input.

Should Jim Buss be fired?

Sssmush
11-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Nope.

Dwight + Nash = great job Jim Buss.

Bringing in D'Antoni is also a good move, and will bring long term stability to the organization -- developing with D'Antoni over time, a coach who could be in Los Angeles for 10 or more years, and might possibly mentor Steve Nash as an assistant coach in 2016, if Nash doesn't keep playing after 3 years.

He's an Olympic coach, clearly one of the best coaches in the nation, so, bravo!!

I'm also slightly relieved to see that the Lakers didn't just run back to an over-the-hill Phil Jackson, and pay him $10M+ a year, plus give him road games off AND put him in charge of the front office, when he was only coming to title-hunt for one or two years anyway.

Clearly some of the more conservative elements were hoping to recreate the past, and buy a quick title run by bringing in Phil Jackson, just get Phil no matter what, but you know what? It never felt right, and hiring D'Antoni seems like a much fresher and more exciting path to travel.

idrinkpepsi
11-12-2012, 08:20 AM
:facepalm:

kingsdelez24
11-12-2012, 08:25 AM
1) Kobe's favorite player used to be D'Antoni

2) Any team with defenders like Dwight, Pau, Metta and Kobe doesn't really have to worry about how bad their coaches defense sets will be.

3) Any team with Nash as point guard and D'Antoni as coach is going to do extremely well

Iron24th
11-12-2012, 08:25 AM
How can you call it a fail, when Dantoni hasn't even coached 1 single Lakers game?

Badluck33
11-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Why?

Because the Lakers didn't wanna give Phily Jax a blank check?

c'mon....

Lakers have done great things with Jim Buss. Just because he choose not to give Jackson whatever $ he wanted doesn't warrant him to be fired.

Lets say the headline reads "Lakers sign Phil Jackson to 3 year @ $30Million" just to make you happy.

THEN HE SHOULD BE FIRED.

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Nope.

Dwight + Nash = great job Jim Buss.

I think the GM did that. Jim Buss approved the deal, but Mitch is the one the pulled it off. And Jim Buss also approved the deal WITHOUT and extension from Dwight, which may prove to be a huge mistake.

And I'm not saying he should have given Jackson a blank check, but the guy didn't even CONSIDER Sloan. :facepalm:

That, in and of it self, is a huge fail. When you have a HOF coach that wants to coach your team and you don't even give him a call? Jim Buss did NOT do a thorough job on this one.

Heediot
11-12-2012, 08:47 AM
I think the GM did that. Jim Buss approved the deal, but Mitch is the one the pulled it off. And Jim Buss also approved the deal WITHOUT and extension from Dwight, which may prove to be a huge mistake.

And I'm not saying he should have given Jackson a blank check, but the guy didn't even CONSIDER Sloan. :facepalm:

That, in and of it self, is a huge fail. When you have a HOF coach that wants to coach your team and you don't even give him a call? Jim Buss did NOT do a thorough job on this one.

Like Cp3 this year and Deron last year, Howard benefits from waiting till the season is over to re-up. He gets an extra year and more guaranteed money. Even if they hired his mom as coach he'd still wait till the offseason to re-sign.

Buss is not doing as bad as you make it seem in my view.

Heediot
11-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Another point, Sloan has had issues with star players. Maybe that was a factor in him not being called.

sixer04fan
11-12-2012, 09:18 AM
You know Larry Brown is coaching college right now, right? He's not expressing any desire to return... He already has a job, lol.

waveycrockett
11-12-2012, 10:02 AM
How do you fire the owner of the team? Be serious. Would Mark Cuban fire himself?

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2012, 10:13 AM
How do you fire the owner of the team? Be serious. Would Mark Cuban fire himself?

Mark Cuban = Jerry Buss
Donnie Nelson = Jim Buss

Jerry owns the team as of right now, and will until he dies. He put his son in charge. And in case you didn't read my post, I concede at the start that Jim Buss would obviosuly not get fired since his father owns the team. My point is that he's isn't doing a good job.

Mark Cuban though was smart enough to hire somebody who has experience in basketball to run the team.

Would Mark fire Donnie Nelson? You bet he would if Nelson was dong as $#!T a job as Jim Buss is doing.

You clearly didn't read the post, and don't know what you are talking about since Jim Buss does not in fact own the team (yet). You are right that he won't get fired, but it's his dad that gave him the job. And if his dad wanted to, he could sell the team, or leave it to Jeannie.

LakersKB24
11-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Even though I'm really disappointed that the Lakers didn't hire Phil, I'm sure there's more to it than just Jim saying he doesn't want him. If the Lakers REALLY wanted Phil, Dr. Buss would have overruled Jimbo if necessary.
Phil probably demanded more than we know, because I don't think travel restrictions, $10m and having a say in FO decisions would have been an issue for Jerry.

Heediot
11-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Lakers spokesperson John Black said team owner Jerry Buss, executive vice president Jim Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak were "unanimous that D'Antoni was the best coach for the team at this time."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8622878/stunned-phil-jackson-was-prepared-return-los-angeles-lakers-source-says

I think in this case of hiring D'atoni and possibly in the case of hiring Mike Brown, it was a group consensus that included the Owner (Jerry), Jim and GM Mitch. So before we blame anyone we may not have all the facts and information that goes on behind the scenes.

YeaDat
11-12-2012, 10:48 AM
i guess i can cancel the parade plans in june this year and as long as he's there. smh

nickdymez
11-12-2012, 11:14 AM
1) Kobe's favorite player used to be D'Antoni

2) Any team with defenders like Dwight, Pau, Metta and Kobe doesn't really have to worry about how bad their coaches defense sets will be.

3) Any team with Nash as point guard and D'Antoni as coach is going to do extremely well

You must not watch a lot of Lakers games sir...