PDA

View Full Version : Name 3 players you believe have superstar potential and are being held back

KnicksorBust
11-11-2012, 08:44 PM
There are a lot of situations where a player has trouble thriving until he either reaches a certain level (J.O.) or finds the right environment (Billups). Which young players do you believe have the best chance to break out and still be superstar players?

KnicksorBust
11-11-2012, 08:45 PM
For the record, I pick Tyreke Evans, Evan Turner, and Demarcus Cousins.

Alayla
11-11-2012, 08:52 PM

seeing as i wacth the sixers and kings more than any other NBA teams ...
NO
literately nothing is holding turner back iggy isnt even around anymore and even when he was i believed the argument was overblown Turner never had star potential imo.

And Evans is just bad i take Thornton over evans all day.

Ty Fast
11-11-2012, 08:53 PM
derrick williams

Alayla
11-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Curry (should be at 2)
Rivers (premature but again should be at 2)
and props to ty fast on beating me to derrick williams

D-Leethal
11-11-2012, 08:54 PM
I think this season will tell if OJ Mayo and Andrew Bynum were being held back in the pecking order in MEM and LAL.

Sactown
11-11-2012, 08:56 PM

I think Turner is getting there and has put together some really nice games this season.

DeMarcus is the same way.. 3rd season.. expect a big season IF he can stay out of foul trouble.. the suspension was BS. should of been a fine

Tyreke Evans needs to develop a shot to get there and is working on it, but between the 3 I say he's the least to hit superstar status, but I think has a high chance to become a legit 2nd option/all star quality player

KnicksorBust
11-11-2012, 08:56 PM
I think this season will tell if OJ Mayo and Andrew Bynum were being held back in the pecking order in MEM and LAL.

I'm glad Dleethal was absolutely to pin-point the WHOLE purpose of the thread. This is an opportunity to people to show some guts and find players that are vastly underachieving and make a bold prediction that they can/will break out in a new environment.

KnicksorBust
11-11-2012, 08:57 PM
seeing as i wacth the sixers and kings more than any other NBA teams ...
NO
literately nothing is holding turner back iggy isnt even around anymore and even when he was i believed the argument was overblown Turner never had star potential imo.

And Evans is just bad i take Thornton over evans all day.

We'll re-visit this some day and we'll see how wrong I am. :)

Would you like to share your thoughts?

Ebbs
11-11-2012, 09:01 PM
DeMarcus Cousins
O.J. Mayo
Tyreke Evans
Evan Turner

Pretty much same list as last week

theheatles
11-11-2012, 09:17 PM
John Wall
OJ Mayo
Mario Chalmers:hide:

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Cousins
Turner(but I think he's going to be big this year and he has been so far)
Wall

mightybosstone
11-11-2012, 09:30 PM
DeMarcus Cousins
O.J. Mayo
Tyreke Evans
Evan Turner

Ebbs. Your sig is so ridiculous. For one, Mayo has been incredibly mediocre his entire career up until this season. And he's been good for all of seven games. Plus, you're comparing a player's 5-year contract to a player's 2-year contract.

KnicksorBust
11-11-2012, 09:33 PM
DeMarcus Cousins
O.J. Mayo
Tyreke Evans
Evan Turner

Good list.

John Wall
OJ Mayo
Mario Chalmers:hide:

John Wall is a GREAT pick and exactly the reason why I started this thread. Ton of credit for that choice.

Cousins
Wall

Another good list.

Ebbs. Your sig is so ridiculous. For one, Mayo has been incredibly mediocre his entire career up until this season. And he's been good for all of seven games. Plus, you're comparing a player's 5-year contract to a player's 2-year contract.

Make a list or gtfo of my thread. :)

STL Don
11-11-2012, 09:33 PM
How are guys like OJ Mayo, Tyreke Evans, DeMarcus Cousins, etc. being held back?

BabyJayMusic
11-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Three I think of is
Eric Maynor
Jordan Crawford
Jonas Jerebko

Pluvious
11-11-2012, 09:39 PM
How are guys like OJ Mayo, Tyreke Evans, DeMarcus Cousins, etc. being held back?

No idea...seemed like a good idea for a thread but the names so far have been off. Except for Williams.

Derrick Favors
Jodie Meeks
Delonte West

:D

KnicksorBust
11-11-2012, 09:42 PM

OJ Mayo definately had the cuffs on in Memphis. Look at his production in Dallas.

Evans isn't getting enough usage and doesn't have a quality team to reach his peak.

Cousins doesn't have the right coach or PG.

A lot of blah blah, no list. You can't contribute?

MrfadeawayJB
11-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter

ManRam
11-11-2012, 09:43 PM
It terrifies me to think what Josh Smith (who's already a fringe star) could be if he didn't have one of the lowest offensive IQs in the NBA.

KnicksorBust
11-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Three I think of is
Eric Maynor
Jordan Crawford
Jonas Jerebko

Now this is a ballsy list. You could look like a genius in a year or two... You won't because those players are not superstars. But I respect you for taking a chance. Crawford actually is terrible and will be out of the league like Adam Morrison in 3-4 years.

KnicksorBust
11-11-2012, 09:44 PM
No idea...seemed like a good idea for a thread but the names so far have been off. Except for Williams.

Derrick Favors
Jodie Meeks
Delonte West

:D

THIS is a great choice. I'm really surprised about Meeks and would love to hear you clarify that. West is definately a bad pick. Look at his entire tenure in the NBA. You can't possibly expect a breakout this late in his career.

KnicksorBust
11-11-2012, 09:44 PM
It terrifies me to think what Josh Smith (who's already a fringe star) could be if he didn't have one of the lowest offensive IQs in the NBA.

Humor me... what superstar does he remind you of? For me, it's... yeah nobody ever.

KnicksorBust
11-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter

Spot on. This is another great post. Something has to give with that Utah frontcourt. I don't know who and I don't know when but they need to make sure they make the right decision on which players need to stay and which needs to go because they are sitting on a goldmine of frontcourt talent.

Favors must stay.

BabyJayMusic
11-11-2012, 09:47 PM
I can see Crawford developing into a 6man type think Maynor would be great for a team like the Kings or Sixers and i appreciate the ballsy shout seen a lot of known names wanna dig into the players that haven't been giving a chance to shine yet

PurpleJesus
11-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Regarding Derrick Williams, he has been given ample opportunity, and has yet to deliver.

xxplayerxx23
11-11-2012, 09:54 PM

Poor guy doesn't know KOB is never WRONG :pity: that guy ;)

I also think Evans and Turner as well though, Also Favors IMO is a stud needs more minutes.

Kyben36
11-11-2012, 09:57 PM
OJ mayo, Tyreke evans, Demarcus cousins, John Wall.

here are two of mien though,

Enes Kantar and Derrick Favors, both IMO could or should get more minutes on any team, but with Milsap and Jefferson its hard.

KnicksorBust
11-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Regarding Derrick Williams, he has been given ample opportunity, and has yet to deliver.

I'd just like to say... for the record... Derrick Williams is NOT on my list.

Poor guy doesn't know KOB is never WRONG :pity: that guy ;)

I also think Evans and Turner as well though, Also Favors IMO is a stud needs more minutes.

:clap:

2-ONE-5
11-11-2012, 10:00 PM
I agree with Maynor I think he can be a solid starting PG for some teams.

Also surprised no one mentioned Eric Bledsoe.

Kyben36
11-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Wesley johnson is also a plaer I cant understand why he hasnt had succes

Hasheem thabeet i feel like is a good player as well that hanst gotten a chance, a 7'3 guy athletic and shot blocking as he does sould be able to at least rebound to a point he could stay on the floor.

Legitimate
11-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Monta Ellis! Huge offensive threat, very quick and able to score at all spots on the floor. Dude is always on a ****** team, now I see him on the Bucks and I don't know one player on that roster besides dalambert and jennings :facepalm: .

I think he can carry a team offensively if he actually got put half decent players around him.

ChiSox219
11-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Eric Bledsoe
Enes Kanter
Andre Drummond

Kyben36
11-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Eric Bledsoe
Enes Kanter
Andre Drummond

drumonds a rookie, I dont think we can say that yet bro.

as far as bledsoe and Maynor, neither would be considers good pgs for teams. starters, maybe, but not good who you could say would have their starting job year in and out.

UPRock
11-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Paul George, Derrick Favors and OJ Mayo.

I am Smart
11-11-2012, 10:16 PM
derrick williams

Do you even watch the T-Wolves? Derrick Williams is absolutely dreadful.

Meaze_Gibson
11-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Eric Bledsoe
Serge Ibaka
Anthony Randolph
Maureese Speights
Terrence Williams

Andrew32
11-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Nate Robinson... well I'd say All-Star rather then Super-Star.

UPRock
11-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Bledsoe, that kid can be PRETTY GOOD! The Hornet should've gotten him in the Chris Paul trade.

Meaze_Gibson
11-11-2012, 10:25 PM
drumonds a rookie, I dont think we can say that yet bro.

as far as bledsoe and Maynor, neither would be considers good pgs for teams. starters, maybe, but not good who you could say would have their starting job year in and out.

I can't vouch for maynor, but Bledsoe is averaging 10 pts 3 *** 2 bds, and 1.5 steals in 18 min. Plus he has the potential to be one of the best defensive pgs.

VinceCarter
11-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Eric Bledsoe?

phlp_bj
11-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Taj Gibson. When Boozer is amnestied, he will shine in a full time starting role.

mightybosstone
11-11-2012, 11:06 PM
To me, any list has to begin with Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter playing behind Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap in Utah. The Jazz have some major decisions to make in the next few months and if I'm the Jazz, I'd try to develop the young guys rather than dishing out huge contracts to Favors and Kanter.

Paul George is another guy who clearly wasn't reaching his potential last season with Granger taking so much of the scoring wing role. With Granger out, George is already getting more shots and I wouldn't be surprised if he's averaging 16-18 points a night by the end of the season while contributing in a number of other areas, especially on defense.

And obviously Taj Gibson should be in the discussion. He's already a better player than Carlos Boozer and if he had a more diverse offensive game, he'd be starting and Boozer would have been amnestied already. Regardless, Boozer will get the amnesty after this season and we'll get to see what Gibson is really made of as a starter.

mightybosstone
11-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Taj Gibson. When Boozer is amnestied, he will shine in a full time starting role.

Lol. I hadn't even seen this post before I made mine. Great minds think alike. ;)

D-Leethal
11-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Paul Millsap, Paul George, Eric Bledsoe, Jimmer Fredette.

netsgiantsyanks
11-11-2012, 11:14 PM
derrick favors would have been better off staying with jersey/brooklyn. gosh was i pissed when he got traded, we couldn't have gave up something else? oh well :sigh:

Bramaca
11-11-2012, 11:17 PM
I agree with the people saying Favors and Kanter, both players need more minutes on the floor.

I also think that if Charles Jenkins got a chance to start he could be a top end pg.

Alayla
11-11-2012, 11:20 PM

Turner is a bit to slow to regularly get to the rim and lacks even the smallest semblance of an outside shot. However he is a very good mid ranged shooter and a downright Video game on the glass hes man to man D seems to be fair and his passing isnt bad but hes more of a carrer role player type than a star

Evans problem seems to be more when he gets his shots then how or why alot of the times he seems to be forcing the issue and it hasn't helped him or his team he has the skills to be useful from the 1 2 and 3 positions but he doesn't really belong in any of them and his outside shooting doesn't help at all hes clearly quicker than turner so maybe when he calms down and plays within the rythem of the game he can be half of what people think he is but right now he doesn't have the maturity or control to be an allstar player

dwadefan03
11-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Eric Bledsoe for sure

SINCESTARBURY25
11-11-2012, 11:32 PM
James Harden..Oh wait...
But seriously id have to say Wilson Chandler.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-11-2012, 11:32 PM
John Wall
Enes Kanter
Derrick Favours

iamsteel
11-11-2012, 11:35 PM
How can people say Derrick Williams? Last game he was 0-10 shooting! He does have star potential, but he is getting his chance now with Love out. And he is just too inconsistent still.

I would say Favors probably, and Kanter too. Big Al and Milsap are just too good not to get the minutes. But, almost everyone people have said on here are only holding themselves back. Not the team.

topdog
11-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Favors/Kanter

Andre Drummond

All the young players riding Houston's pine.

Lost track of the title and "superstar potential." I don't know that anyone is being held back from that. Some guys could definitely be all-star caliber though.

TheSource
11-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Cousins has the potential to be a good player and a top 5 center. He needs the right coach and management to keep him in the right mindset, and continue to develop his game.

ACanadian
11-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Terrence Ross, Enes Kanter and Taj Gibson. If their was a fourth, Derrick Williams

KnicksorBust
11-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Terrence Ross, Enes Kanter and Taj Gibson. If their was a fourth, Derrick Williams

I give you a ton of credit for coming up with a new list. Well done.

ACanadian
11-11-2012, 11:54 PM

Thanks, it took awhile... who else is their that hasn't been said?:rolleyes:

ACanadian
11-11-2012, 11:59 PM

Jeremy Lamb, Ed Davis and ?Iman Shump?

Slimsim
11-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Shumpert

Bulls_fan90
11-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Superstar potential lol?

There are very few superstars in the NBA. Now All-Star potential is something totally different. I assume that is what you are referring to.

My list would include: Favors, Monroe, Wall and Afflalo.

EDIT: If we're talking about Superstar, maybe Westbrook. Minus Durant he may very well come into his own as a franchise player.

meloman1592
11-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Idk about the "held back" term but I'd say John Wall, Tyreke and Beasely

topdog
11-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Idk about the "held back" term but I'd say John Wall, Tyreke and Beasely

Beasley is on his third stop and still chucking. I give that a :down:

Tyreke has no game now that people know that they just need to keep him out of the paint. I think he'd be best as a 6th man somewhere.

I think we all pretty much expect Wall to challenge for top 10 PG here eventually...

RaiderKid318
11-12-2012, 12:14 AM
EJ, but he is not because he is a *****

lvlheaded
11-12-2012, 12:16 AM
John Wall is the best example IMO. Mayo was being held back in MEM but he is the guy so far in Dallas so this year is his chance to show that he can be a star

Il Mago50
11-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Nothing is holding back John Wall, he's just not that good of a basketball player.

My top three are Brandon Knight, Anthony Randolph and Ty Lawson

lilojmayo
11-12-2012, 12:28 AM
John Wall is the best example IMO. Mayo was being held back in MEM but he is the guy so far in Dallas so this year is his chance to show that he can be a star

I was getting confused also reading the thread. The OP said " are" not " were". Both Harden and Mayo are not being held back anymore, but were on their previous teams.

KnicksorBust
11-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Jeremy Lamb, Ed Davis and ?Iman Shump?

You definately swung for the fences. :D I respectfully disagree but this thread has your prediction.

Superstar potential lol?

There are very few superstars in the NBA. Now All-Star potential is something totally different. I assume that is what you are referring to.

My list would include: Favors, Monroe, Wall and Afflalo.

EDIT: If we're talking about Superstar, maybe Westbrook. Minus Durant he may very well come into his own as a franchise player.

:laugh: Yeah I DQ the Westbrook pick but your actua list is solid.

KnicksorBust
11-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Nothing is holding back John Wall, he's just not that good of a basketball player.

My top three are Brandon Knight, Anthony Randolph and Ty Lawson

uhhhhhhhhh I respectully disagree. You don't think playing with Nick Young/Blatche/McGee would hold you back?

mightybosstone
11-12-2012, 12:34 AM
I realize it's a bit of a homer pick, but Houston is really holding back Terrence Jones right now after the kid dominated in the Summer League and played great in the preseason. Patterson and Morris are playing okay, but not so well that Jones shouldn't be getting playing time. Motiejunas is in the same situation, but he's still incredibly raw and didn't play that well in the preseason.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-12-2012, 12:40 AM

Terrence Ross does not have superstar potential.

NYYCowboys
11-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Serge Ibaka. Great defender, but when I saw him play internationally, for Spain, he also had a pretty good offensive arsenal. With Westy and KD getting most of the shots he really won't get an opportunity to showcase what a good OVERALL player he is. If he was the 1st/2nd option on a team I think he could average up around 20 a game.

KnicksorBust
11-12-2012, 12:47 AM
I realize it's a bit of a homer pick, but Houston is really holding back Terrence Jones right now after the kid dominated in the Summer League and played great in the preseason. Patterson and Morris are playing okay, but not so well that Jones shouldn't be getting playing time. Motiejunas is in the same situation, but he's still incredibly raw and didn't play that well in the preseason.

No disrespect but I don't get this post at all. Jones is being held back but he shouldn't be getting playing time? That makes no sense. Either get off the fence or make your list.

mightybosstone
11-12-2012, 12:56 AM
No disrespect but I don't get this post at all. Jones is being held back but he shouldn't be getting playing time? That makes no sense. Either get off the fence or make your list.

When did I say he shouldn't be getting playing time? I'm saying he SHOULD be getting playing time. He was every bit as good as Morris and Patterson in the preseason and far more explosive and versatile offensively and on the glass. But for some reason, the coaching staff is sticking with Patterson and Morris. I think it's because Morey and the front office want to see what they have in those two guys before they give Jones and D-Mo room to shine, but I'd still like to see Jones getting a lot more minutes than he is now.

And did you not see my post in the previous page? If I had to make a list, it would be:
1. Derrick Favors/Enes Kanter
2. Paul George
3. Taj Gibson

Although, now that I'm thinking about it, one more guy who should get some credit on this list is Isaiah Thomas. He was one of the best rookies in the NBA last season, and he's not getting nearly enough minutes on a mediocre Sacramento team that is determined to play Tyreke Evans even though he's an awful NBA player. If I'm the Sacramento coaches, I easily swap the number of minutes I'm giving Evans and Thomas.

CavsYanksDuke
11-12-2012, 01:07 AM
JJ Redick. He should have on a Bulls jersey by now. Instead, Magic matched his contract. He would have been on the Bulls when they played the Heat in the playoffs.

Why? So he could sit on the bench in Orlando. Can't wait for his free agency. **** Orlando.

mightybosstone
11-12-2012, 01:12 AM
JJ Redick. He should have on a Bulls jersey by now. Instead, Magic matched his contract. He would have been on the Bulls when they played the Heat in the playoffs.

Why? So he could sit on the bench in Orlando. Can't wait for his free agency. **** Orlando.

I actually really like the Redick pick as well. I don't know that he'll ever be a 20 PPG kind of guy, but I could see him as a 15 PPG and a relatively efficient No. 3 scorer on a playoff team.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-12-2012, 01:15 AM
Oh and to add on from my OP, Eric Gordon and Derrick Favors. Only thing holding back Gordon is injuries.

scaramantula
11-12-2012, 01:31 AM
i dunno if anyone has said him yet, (probobly he's) the first that comes to mind; mike james

MagicBucsSox
11-12-2012, 01:50 AM
Cousins
Wall

Don't know how Orlando didn't demand Turner for Bynum

bholly
11-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Monta Ellis! Huge offensive threat, very quick and able to score at all spots on the floor. Dude is always on a ****** team, now I see him on the Bucks and I don't know one player on that roster besides dalambert and jennings :facepalm: .

I think he can carry a team offensively if he actually got put half decent players around him.

Eric Bledsoe
Serge Ibaka
Anthony Randolph
Maureese Speights
Terrence Williams

Nate Robinson... well I'd say All-Star rather then Super-Star.

If it were my first day on these forums I would just be shocked at some of these names. What the hell is holding any of these guys back other than that they're awful? The reason Monta's teams are bad is Monta. David Lee and Brandon Jennings and whoever else don't exactly help, but it's not like Monta's a huge net plus on teams full of negatives.

Also surprised to see Evan Turner named so many times - well, again, I'm not surprised, but you're all wrong. He has some fundamental problems with his game that are his own doing - he isn't being held back by anything other than himself.

footballer2369
11-12-2012, 02:46 AM
Older: Jamal Crawford, Lemarcus Aldridge, Thad Young.

Younger: Jrue Holliday, Kawhi Leonard, Eric Gordon.

Mizzy27
11-12-2012, 03:08 AM
Jarett jack (really good)
Gerald green (possibly)
Terrance Williams (possibly)
Marshon Brooks (real possibility)

Chacarron
11-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Derrick Favors
Jrue Holiday
Eric Bledsoe
Danilo Gallinari

I know I put four but I love Danilo too much to leave him out.

P Harvy
11-12-2012, 03:16 AM
derrick williams

lol no

cuttydoesit6
11-12-2012, 03:31 AM
FAVORS
mayo (was/not anymore)
wall

ugh give me favors on the bulls any day, that kid is a beast. he needs more minutes

dee279
11-12-2012, 03:52 AM
Josh Selby. I could see him being a good scoring guard. Not exactly a superstar but could put up numbers. Also, Larry Sanders and his foul trouble. Thats his own fault but he is a monster for Milwaukee. Im sure having the most inconsistent back court in the league hurts him a bit. And of course Favors. Just was trying to say new people who werent named.

Chavacano
11-12-2012, 04:09 AM
I'll go with Jerryd Bayless since most of the somewhat obvious choices were already picked.

Be back with the other two if I could still come up with it. llullz

nothappyinut
11-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Derrick mother fn favors!! He will be dopy Allstar and a superstar defender when he gets to play 30 mins a game

He115ing
11-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Greg Monroe

dalton749
11-12-2012, 11:44 AM
jonas valanciunas because he deserves to be out there but coach casey isnt giving him the minutes

Corey
11-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Steph Curry...But he's getting held back by his ankles, not his team.

Greg Monroe...If he was on a competitive team, he'd be much more highly regarded. He's still a very good player, but he could be a star on the right team.

Paul George...I'm not really sure what's holding him back. With Granger out, he's in the perfect situation to prosper, but :shrug: He has star potential, he just needs to 'click'.

Bonus: Andrew Bogut. Injury city. He'd be a star player if he could have just stayed healthy.

On top of those, there's a list of guys that would be looked at as stars if they were on different teams. Al Horford, Chris Bosh (Only because people are underrating him as the 3rd wheel -- he's still already a star), Kyle Lowry (By the end of the season once he gets healthy. Moving to Toronto is huge for his reputation as he has his own team now)

THE MTL
11-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Well, it was OJ Mayo for the longest but now that he is a starter in Dallas and no Dirk playing right now....he is proving to have allstar potential that I always knew he had.

bartron_44
11-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Tyreke Evans- The guy is a PG being forced to play SF. Give him the ball and let him make plays (like he did in college and his rookie season) and he can give you 20+ points and 5+ assists with a couple steals

Nic Batum- not sure if he still counts (just like Mayo), but he is finally getting his shot in Portland to be one of their top options now that Gerald Wallace is gone. He is averaging 19/6/3 with 2.7 steals and a block per game.

Derrick Favors- If he got to play 30mpg he would be a walking double-double with solid block numbers.

Derrick Williams- He is a great athlete with good perimeter jump shot...at the age of 21!! If he got to start at SF instead of PF I think he would be a MUCH better NBA player.

Jerryd Bayless- I am a Raptors fan and watched him play a lot for a couple years. In 14 starts in 2010/11 he averaged 18/7/4, and in 11 starts in 2011/12 he averaged 18/5/3. The guy has great handles, a very quick first step, can shoot well from behind the arc and competes on defense. He needed time to learn how to play like a PG and not just a scorer, but as you can see when he got to start and play 35mpg, he found his team mates and put the ball in the basket.

DreamShaker
11-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Derrick Favors
Enes Kanter
Terrance Jones (homer pick)

KnicksorBust
12-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Thought this would be a fun bump from a year ago. :)

John Wall is a GREAT pick and exactly the reason why I started this thread. Ton of credit for that choice.

Heatles/B's both picked Wall and I thought it was good. Clearly I was off on Tyreke... (or maybe he just still haven't found the right team?) but pretty happy with how Turner/Cousins/Wall all took huge steps forward.

KnicksorBust
12-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Lot of people were very high on Utah's young frontcourt (Kanter/Favors).

Raps18-19 Champ
12-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Jonas Valanciunas is being held back as a sophomore after getting reasonable minutes as a rookie.

Mr.ATLHawks
12-24-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm going to go with:

Dion Waiters
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Iman Shumpert

THE MTL
12-24-2013, 07:32 PM
I thought Kanter was being held back and he was really good in the beginning of this season but the dude has really fell off

Shammyguy3
12-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Superstar potential is the key here. There are a ton of guys being held back that could turn out to make an all-star roster a few times in their career (see Jimmy Butler with Luol Deng holding him back). But superstar potential? That can only be applied to players like Cousins, Wall (which were brought up a year ago).

Thus far this season, the only players with superstar ceilings that are being held back would be Andre Drummond, Jonas Valanciunas, and Nikola Vucevic off the top of my head

KnicksorBust
12-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Superstar potential is the key here. There are a ton of guys being held back that could turn out to make an all-star roster a few times in their career (see Jimmy Butler with Luol Deng holding him back). But superstar potential? That can only be applied to players like Cousins, Wall (which were brought up a year ago).

Thus far this season, the only players with superstar ceilings that are being held back would be Andre Drummond, Jonas Valanciunas, and Nikola Vucevic off the top of my head

I will sign off on Jonas and Vuj as picks but Drummond is just naturally progressing. You would be hard pressed to find someone who doesnt believe he will get there.

Asik's better
12-24-2013, 09:42 PM
As a homer pick, chandler parsons. The man averages 17 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists in a team where harden, Howard and Lin get a lot of the touches. He would be a all star if he got the ball more.

WES KOAST
12-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Isaiah Thomas
reggie Jackson
Harrison barnes

Shammyguy3
12-24-2013, 09:55 PM
I will sign off on Jonas and Vuj as picks but Drummond is just naturally progressing. You would be hard pressed to find someone who doesnt believe he will get there.

He's progressing definitely, but I think he's being held back nonetheless. Me being a Chicago fan, I can only imagine what Thibs would be able to do with him. The Josh Smith acquisition was pointless seeing as Monroe is better and younger, even though Monroe isn't an ideal fit.

To each his own though - I was trying to think of players that have the superstar potential you were asking about

As a homer pick, chandler parsons. The man averages 17 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists in a team where harden, Howard and Lin get a lot of the touches. He would be a all star if he got the ball more.

Does Parsons have superstar potential though? Not to me. Will he ever be better than say Paul Pierce? Who in his prime wasn't even a superstar but was a top-20 player without question for multiple seasons

KnicksorBust
12-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Isaiah Thomas
reggie Jackson
Harrison barnes

Love these picks. They show a clear understanding of the thread.

D-Leethal
12-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Don't watch Harrison Barnes a ton, but seems like he might be a candidate that fits the bill.

KnicksorBust
12-24-2013, 09:59 PM

He's progressing definitely, but I think he's being held back nonetheless. Me being a Chicago fan, I can only imagine what Thibs would be able to do with him. The Josh Smith acquisition was pointless seeing as Monroe is better and younger, even though Monroe isn't an ideal fit.

To each his own though - I was trying to think of players that have the superstar potential you were asking about

Does Parsons have superstar potential though? Not to me. Will he ever be better than say Paul Pierce? Who in his prime wasn't even a superstar but was a top-20 player without question for multiple seasons

Pierce was definitely a superstar. He's a HOFer and was a perennial allstar.

Chrisclover
12-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Bynum is being held back by his previous antics and endless injuries. .He even shot a 3!lmao

B'sCeltsPatsSox
12-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Cousins
Wall

Dis list yo.

Lot of people were very high on Utah's young frontcourt (Kanter/Favors).

Give them so more time together, and a new coach.

True Sports Fan
12-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Isaiah Thomas
reggie Jackson
Harrison barnes

This.

Shammyguy3
12-25-2013, 02:46 AM
Pierce was definitely a superstar. He's a HOFer and was a perennial allstar.

What's your definition of a superstar then? To me, that's a top-5 player in the league at worst. His prime years, ages 23-29 he averaged 24.8/6.7/4.1 on a 55.8ts% 22.0 PER 0.161 WS/48 108 ORtg. That's awesome, that's damn good. But was Pierce ever a top-5 player in the league? To me he wasn't :shrug:

EDIT: just to add a little bit: I don't think every player that makes the HOF is a superstar. Not every perennial all-star is a superstar caliber player

NoahH
12-25-2013, 03:32 AM
Jimmer is still getting black balled by the illuminati and the homeboys according to FreeJimmer so ill go with Jimmer.

tredigs
12-25-2013, 03:36 AM
Harrison Barnes is a ridiculous choice. He has all the opportunity in the world to showcase himself right now - especially back with a 2nd unit that badly needs it - and it isn't happening.

kingsdelez24
12-25-2013, 03:49 AM
Jimmer is still getting black balled by the illuminati and the homeboys according to FreeJimmer so ill go with Jimmer.

This

/thread

ROY 2 MVP Braun
12-25-2013, 04:02 AM
As a bucks fan I think if henson can develop a better outside jumpshot he could be come an all star/ on the verge of being a superstar like a kg

Another pick is giannas he just turned 19 but is a freak athletically anf at 6'10 can play point forward. If he lives up to full potential I think his ceiling could be close to durant but not quite the same caliber scorer but a better rebounder

lamzoka
12-25-2013, 06:08 AM
How is demarcus cousin held back? the only thing holding that guy back is himself

lamzoka
12-25-2013, 06:09 AM
jeremy lin :hide:

Minimal
12-25-2013, 06:16 AM
I still believe in Beasley, I think in the end he will be starting for Miami at PF position.
Wall is already a star pretty much.
And Turner seems like he found his game.

WadeKobe
12-25-2013, 02:21 PM
The only player in the league with true superstar potential who is bein held back by anyone bit himself is Jordan Hill.

Beyond that, Patrick Beverly is a stud and would be a star. He needs to be playing big minutes in Houston.

Can't really think of anyone else.

tredigs
12-25-2013, 04:27 PM
The only player in the league with true superstar potential who is bein held back by anyone bit himself is Jordan Hill.

Beyond that, Patrick Beverly is a stud and would be a star. He needs to be playing big minutes in Houston.

Can't really think of anyone else.
"Superstar potential" lol. No man. 26 year olds on their 3rd team in 5 years and are perennial backups don't have superstar potential. He could be a fantastic role player on a contender, but he isn't leading any team on deep playoff runs, ever. Don't get too caught up in WP.

JayW_1023
12-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Greg Monroe
Bev
Andray Blatche

Blatche basically deserves starter's minutes. Kid has matured alot pat two seasons.

Also, I actually agree about jeremy Lin. He has actually become underrated. People always emphasize his weaknesses, not his strengths. He is capable of beating a team by himself any given night when healthy.

Also, Serge Ibaka, who is basically used as a stretch four. I really wonder how good he would be with more low post touches.

JayW_1023
12-25-2013, 04:45 PM
I also agree with the poster who said Harrison Barnes. Probably the best example. That kid's a legitimate two way player.

ChiSox219
12-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Eric Bledsoe
Enes Kanter
Andre Drummond

Gonna give Kanter some more time but he's been a major let down this year. Those other two have gotten more minutes and proved they are legitimate all-star caliber players.

WadeKobe
12-25-2013, 05:32 PM
"Superstar potential" lol. No man. 26 year olds on their 3rd team in 5 years and are perennial backups don't have superstar potential. He could be a fantastic role player on a contender, but he isn't leading any team on deep playoff runs, ever. Don't get too caught up in WP.

Look at his rebounding, WS, PER you name it. The guy has gotten better every time he has been given more minutes and is the only reason the Lakers are playing any defense right now.

Obviously I don't think he will be a superstar if give. The chance. But the fact is he has gotten better and better and better every time his role and minutes increases.

So using his 3 team backup status doesn't work. Because it plays exactly to what I have said. He has been held back by not getting opportunities