PDA

View Full Version : No Offer Made To Jackson; Lakers To Interview D'Antoni and Dunleavy, not Sloan

JasonJohnHorn
11-11-2012, 05:41 PM
http://www.nba.com/2012/news/11/10/lakers-mike-dunleavy-mike-dantoni/index.html

NBA.com is reporting that no offer has been made to Jackson as of yet and interviews wiht Mike D'Antoni and Mike Dunleavy are lined up.

Jerry Sloan is quoted in the piece as saying LA has NOT contacted him. I think he may be the best candidate for the job considering the roster. He is a P&R master and great at team-defence. Why they would set up interviews with D'Antoni and Dunleavy and NOT Sloan, to me, indicates just how much of an idiot Jim Buss is. Jerry needs to step in and take this over.

Brian Shaw has also not been contacted as of yet. :facepalm:

EDIT: Does anybody have any news on what was said in the meeting with Jackson and Laker officials? From the sounds of the article Jackson may want a role like Riley has in Miami and want to pick the next coach and work with him.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-11-2012, 05:42 PM
I believe the P&P with Gasol would work better than the P&R with Howard.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Nothing is imminent...

Andrew32
11-11-2012, 05:44 PM
No Jackson No Championship.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-11-2012, 05:48 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/11/report-with-offer-on-table-phil-jackson-to-meet-again-with-lakers/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If Phil Jackson says yes, the job is his (according to the New York Times and other reports). He will for a third time become the head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers.

Jackson and Lakers management are going to meet again Sunday or Monday, reports Marc Spears at Yahoo.com.

But he adds that Jackson — who openly admitted he was tired of the grind of being an NBA coach when he walked away before the lockout — wants some conditions on travel and the like.

Those who have seen Jackson and spoken with him recently say he looks rested and in good shape, but still has concerns about the lengthy travel an NBA schedule requires, sources said. Some possible solutions, sources said, would be to allow his assistant coaches to coach some games and run shootarounds.

That is not a new request, it was something he suggested he would want while coaching in his last stint but never got it from the team.

Jackson is clearly strongly considering saying yes — he’s gone so far as to gauge the interest of potential assistant coaches.

The way the parting of Jackson, 67, and the Lakers went after the team was eliminated in the second round of the playoffs in 2010 made this kind of reunion seem impossible — there was civility but bad blood, and after he left Jim Buss (the son of Jerry and the guy running the Lakers now) cleared out a lot of long-time Lakers seen as Jackson supporters, such as assistant GM Ronnie Lester and much of the scouting staff.

But desperate times… the Lakers had Jackson on the top of their list as replacements for Mike Brown, who was fired following a 1-4 start. Jackson will want more power, will want some travel reduced, he will want a lot of cash in that paycheck.

And the Lakers seem ready to give it all to him.

DoMeFavors
11-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Phil needs to stop leaving all the time, he needs to remain a coach. He leaves when he doesnt have the best team in the league.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Phil needs to stop leaving all the time, he needs to remain a coach. He leaves when he doesnt have the best team in the league.

No, he leaves when the owners get greedy and are ready to lockout the players. He doesn't want what he calls "a stigma" of an "asterisk" NBA Championship in a shortened lockout season.

rsweene
11-11-2012, 07:14 PM

His father told him that after five years people stop listening to you. He uses this quote quite a bit. He needed to leave each time because he lost his effectiveness with players over time.

He recharged and now he should be ready to go if the offer is right.

JasonJohnHorn
11-11-2012, 07:18 PM
His father told him that after five years people stop listening to you. He uses this quote quite a bit. He needed to leave each time because he lost his effectiveness with players over time.

He recharged and now he should be ready to go if the offer is right.

Then why did he stay in Chicago for so long? lol

I think the last time he left he just felt old. He had a lot of health issues. I mean, the dude is 67 years old. He retired at 65, which is when more normal people retire.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-11-2012, 07:29 PM
No, he leaves when the owners get greedy and are ready to lockout the players. He doesn't want what he calls "a stigma" of an "asterisk" NBA Championship in a shortened lockout season.

Too bad there's no asterisk for winning in a shortened lockout season.

todu82
11-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Yeah, surprised Jackson would want to come back though. The guy's 67 and has done all you can do as a coach. Figured he would stay retired this time.

NYtilIdie
11-11-2012, 08:01 PM
There's no such thing as an "asterisk" championship. He only believes that bulls**t because he didn't win the title that year.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Too bad there's no asterisk for winning in a shortened lockout season.

I know there isn't, I'm just stating one of Phil's reasons not to come back for 2011-2012. I'm just expressing his sentiments.

Captain Moroni
11-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Can't believe mike Dantoni would even be in consideration here.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-11-2012, 08:04 PM
There's no such thing as an "asterisk" championship. He only believes that bulls**t because he didn't win the title that year.

What yr? 1998-99 (50-game season) when he took his 1 yr sabbatical and made the transition from Chicago to LA? Or are you talking about last season?

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Can't believe mike Dantoni would even be in consideration here.

Steve Nash.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-11-2012, 08:06 PM
I know there isn't, I'm just stating one of Phil's reasons not to come back for 2011-2012. I'm just expressing his sentiments.

I know. I was saying that his opinions were wrong.

kobe4thewinbang
11-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Sloan makes the most sense. Lakers have needed defense post-repeat, and their offense is terrible. Bring in the P&R master!

Captain Moroni
11-11-2012, 08:08 PM

If he had coached in Milwaukee or memphis instead of Chicago would he have believed Buck***t or bear***t? If he coached at orlando/Woodstock magic ***t? Or nugget sized s**t in Denver. Birds**t in Atlanta?

Just wondering.

Captain Moroni
11-11-2012, 08:11 PM
With Dantoni, they would score 150 ppg and still figure a way to lose.

Captain Moroni
11-11-2012, 08:12 PM
If Dantoni goes there. Straight up trade of Gasol for Amare.
Nash reunited with Amare sick offense

Captain Moroni
11-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Jackson always takes the job when he has the most talent.

torocan
11-12-2012, 01:47 AM
If Phil doesn't take the job, I suspect D'Antoni is the hands on favorite.

Kobe and Nash have LOTS of history with him. Not only did D'Antoni coach him for multiple years on Team USA and through 2 Olympics, D'Antoni was one of Kobe's idols when he was a child.

Also, players like Kobe fit perfectly with D'Antoni's coaching style -- completely self-motivated, not to mention he's willing to act as the team disciplinarian.

The only question would be defense, which really isn't an issue when you have Dwight guarding the paint and Kobe as a perimeter defender.

Gritz
11-12-2012, 01:55 AM
Jackson always takes the job when he has the most talent.

Yea they had the best team when he came back a 2nd time. :rolleyes:

FOBolous
11-12-2012, 02:03 AM
I actually want D'Antoni to get the coaching job. I think he'll make the Lakers very fun to watch.

Daze9900
11-12-2012, 02:06 AM
I don't understand the D'antoni interest. i he loves to run his starters into the ground by playing them the entire game; never goes to his bench and if he does you're lucky to get into the 6th or 7th man and usually it's just to replace someone in foul trouble; he loves to play undersized ball and have all kind of people playing out of position; doesn't matter if you have a rookie of the year candidate he's not playing and he usually loves to start a mutiny by singling out one person to be in his so-called doghouse and he doesn't manage in game time outs well lol actually he just doesn't call them so be prepared to see a time out after a 20 to nothing run lol. He is bloody awful at calling set plays out of a time out. He's good at letting the players just play lol.

Max.This
11-12-2012, 02:06 AM
No jackson no championship. It doesn't matter who plays for Lakers or what the bench is. There is pretty much consensus through mankind that PJ makes Lakers unbeatable.

LA_Raiders
11-12-2012, 03:21 AM
lol, lakers playing mind games with media.

Phil is a lock

Chavacano
11-12-2012, 03:48 AM
Brian Shaw has also not been contacted as of yet. :facepalm:

^^ They'll need the Pacers' permission to talk to Shaw. Besides, Phil wants to groom the heir to triangle offense which will most likely be between Shaw, Pippen or Rambis so why contact him for the HC job? They'll make contact once Phil's officially hired. Chill.

Edit: Oh crap.

Source: Mike D'Antoni will be the next coach of the Lakers. Not Phil Jackson.

Mike D'Antoni signed a four-year deal with the Lakers. Phil Jackson was "asking for the moon," accoring to source familiar w/ the situation.

-Mike Bresnahan (https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan)

OT: For a forum that doesn't like Laker, Heat or Knick threads, you, guys, sure make a lot of them. llullz