PDA

View Full Version : Number One Defender In NBA So Far Per Synergy...

Clippersfan86
11-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Blake Griffin. I knew his defense is significantly improved but considering how much people still clown his D I found this funny and think it will make for good discussion. He's allowing just .34 ppg and from what I've seen with my own eyes his D is deterring players from even taking shots as much (KG style). Nobody has scored on him a single time in isolation so far. I wish pre-season was included because he was shutting people down. 6 game sample and no I don't think he's near the best but it does at least show he's playing very good D this year. If you think it's only scrubs he's played against think again.

Pau Gasol
LaMarcus Aldridge
David Lee
Zach Randolph
Tim Duncan

Are the guys he's battled with so far. So while his offense and rebounding are slumping a bit his D looks much improved.

Avenged
11-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Blake Griffin forever underrated.

Kashmir13579
11-11-2012, 02:40 PM
wrong thread.

Clippersfan86
11-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Blake Griffin forever underrated.

On Insidehoops some clown made a knee jerk thread "Is Blake Griffin even a top 30 player anymore??" and here you have tons of people ranking him in the 7-10 range among PF's lmao. I can't wait until dude heals up (maybe healed last 3 days off?) and starts attacking more. I feel like his injuries made him passive on offense.

KnicksorBust
11-11-2012, 02:45 PM
It's early but I like the thread. Get people aware of the improvements of a young player who has HoF written all over him.

I've been sayin it in other threads but I am VERY high on the Clippers and see them making it at least to the WCF.

Clippersfan86
11-11-2012, 02:51 PM
It's early but I like the thread. Get people aware of the improvements of a young player who has HoF written all over him.

I've been sayin it in other threads but I am VERY high on the Clippers and see them making it at least to the WCF.

As the season goes on I too see them in the WCF. Neither the Lakers or OKC have impressed me at all with their changes TBH. I know Lakers will get it together but OKC already has great chemistry they are just missing Harden bad IMO.

I think it's going to be Clippers vs Lakers or Clippers vs Spurs in the WCF at this point. Injuries or unexpected turnarounds may change that obviously. Lakers blowing out bad teams, Clippers blowing out good teams. Spurs have beaten everybody by the Clippers who had them down 25+ points for most of the 4th quarter before winning by 22, so not really THAT impressed with SA so far. Basically the west looks pretty open. Billups and Hill should be returning in the next 3 weeks which will boost the team even more.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Bargnani was at one point the best defender by overall PPP last year.

So what?

TmacBryant
11-11-2012, 02:53 PM
If I flopped I would be good too.

#dat clippers fan.

Clippersfan86
11-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Bargnani was at one point the best defender by overall PPP last year.

So what?

Some things need to be factored. Did he play against frontcourts like the Clippers have so far? Was it more than 5 games? If the answer is yes then he likely WAS playing very effective D up until that point and just didn't maintain it. As I said this thread isn't to convince people that Blake is the best, because he's clearly NOT. This thread is to say hey the guy CAN play defense better than people credit him for and we can stop saying he's a "terrible" defender and all that crap.

Even last year he was in the "slightly above average" to "solid" range defensively despite people continuously saying "horrible" and "terrible" defender. Clippers top defensive lineups had Blake Griffin in them, not Reggie Evans or Kenyon Martin.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Some things need to be factored. Did he play against frontcourts like the Clippers have so far? Was it more than 5 games? If the answer is yes then he likely WAS playing very effective D up until that point and just didn't maintain it. As I said this thread isn't to convince people that Blake is the best, because he's clearly NOT. This thread is to say hey the guy CAN play defense better than people credit him for and we can stop saying he's a "terrible" defender and all that crap.

Even last year he was in the "slightly above average" to "solid" range defensively despite people continuously saying "horrible" and "terrible" defender. Clippers top defensive lineups had Blake Griffin in them, not Reggie Evans or Kenyon Martin.

If that's your goal, then you should probably change the title. "Number One Defender In NBA So Far Per Synergy..." sounds like you're trying to show up some people.

theheatles
11-11-2012, 02:58 PM
On Insidehoops some clown made a knee jerk thread "Is Blake Griffin even a top 30 player anymore??" and here you have tons of people ranking him in the 7-10 range among PF's lmao. I can't wait until dude heals up (maybe healed last 3 days off?) and starts attacking more. I feel like his injuries made him passive on offense.

Blake technically is in the 7-10 range of PFs depending on the PFs listed position like Duncan, KG and Horford

1. Kevin Love
2. Dirk
3. Bosh
4. Aldridge
5. Pau

Clippersfan86
11-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Blake technically is in the 7-10 range of PFs depending on some the PF listed position like Duncan, KG and Horford

1. Kevin Love
2. Dirk
3. Bosh
4. Aldridge
5. Pau

Last year Blake was the 2nd or 3rd best PF according to production, efficiency. I don't judge players on reputation like you seem to. Dirk hasn't played a single game yet ranks 2 why? Last season he played pretty bad. Anyways this is off topic.

Andrew32
11-11-2012, 03:04 PM
lol for some reason I expected it to be Kobe.

I haven't watched much of Blake but good for him if he is finally playing some d.

That has been one of his weaknesses.

b@llhog24
11-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Small sample size.

theheatles
11-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Last year Blake was the 2nd or 3rd best PF according to production, efficiency. I don't judge players on reputation like you seem to. Dirk hasn't played a single game yet ranks 2 why? Last season he played pretty bad. Anyways this is off topic.

Skill set, basketball intelligence, production and intangibles is what I based my rankings on...take a step back and take off your rose colored glasses.

kdspurman
11-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Small sample size.

This pretty much.

Clippersfan86
11-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Skill set, basketball intelligence, production and intangibles is what I based my rankings on...take a step back and take off your rose colored glasses.

Weird that Blake was selected 2nd team all NBA as the 10th best PF. Has that happened in NBA history?

Corey
11-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Another prime example of defensive statistics being subpar.

theheatles
11-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Weird that Blake was selected 2nd team all NBA as the 10th best PF. Has that happened in NBA history?

he's popular

92-93 Larry Johnson...

Blake has the same characteristics...being a great athlete, moderate skill, high flying dunker, popularity in the mainstream

Clippersfan86
11-11-2012, 03:19 PM
he's popular

92-93 Larry Johnson...

Blake has the same characteristics...being a great athlete, moderate skill, high flying dunker, popularity in the mainstream

Popular is his all star starting. Selected to the 2nd team so fresh in his career isn't popularity dude. That's NBA press writers selecting, which ironically ripped Blake a new one all of last year, yet still selected him 2nd team.

Corey
11-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Popular is his all star starting. Selected to the 2nd team so fresh in his career isn't popularity dude. That's NBA press writers selecting, which ironically ripped Blake a new one all of last year, yet still selected him 2nd.

The same NBA press writers that put Josh Smith as the PF for the all-NBA 3rd team? The same NBA press writers that put Kobe over Wade on the first team? The same NBA press writers that put Dwight on the first team after missing half the year and quitting on his team?

Solid validation and reasoning.

theheatles
11-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Popular is his all star starting. Selected to the 2nd team so fresh in his career isn't popularity dude. That's NBA press writers selecting, which ironically ripped Blake a new one all of last year, yet still selected him 2nd.

Media members have to keep a pulse on whats popular. It's their job to know what appeals to the masses. It doesn't make them right.

You seem to be too much of a fan so lets just agree to disagree...

jericho
11-11-2012, 03:25 PM
why is the list full of pfs??

Clippersfan86
11-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Media members have to keep a pulse on whats popular. It's their job to know what appeals to the masses. It doesn't make them right.

You seem to be too much of a fan so lets just agree to disagree...

Agree to disagree and next time don't derail the thread please. We don't have to agree where Blake ranks but Blake's defense is much improved and it's not just based on these 6 games. You look at the playoffs last year and the preseason and he's been a very respectable to quite good defender.

roshan3ai
11-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Waaaaaay too early. Gallo is shooting 30% from the field and is ranked the best isolation offensive player in the league. All about sample size.

jericho
11-11-2012, 03:27 PM
The same NBA press writers that put Josh Smith as the PF for the all-NBA 3rd team? The same NBA press writers that put Kobe over Wade on the first team? The same NBA press writers that put Dwight on the first team after missing half the year and quitting on his team?

you forgot the same writers that forgot to put iggy in the 1st or 2nd all nba defensive team

ChiSox219
11-11-2012, 03:28 PM

There are plenty of ways to support the claim that Blake is one of the best PFs in the league. While the all-nba selections may not be perfect, in this case Griffin's selection was well deserved.

jericho
11-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Agree to disagree and next time don't derail the thread please. We don't have to agree where Blake ranks but Blake's defense is much improved and it's not just based on these 6 games. You look at the playoffs last year and the preseason and he's been a very respectable to quite good defender.

just because they dont agree with you doesnt mean they are derailing the thread and besides its psd it happens all the time get used to it

Clippersfan86
11-11-2012, 03:35 PM
just because they dont agree with you doesnt mean they are derailing the thread and besides its psd it happens all the time get used to it

Derailing the thread is to change the topic and dominate the thread with said topic, taking it off course. The general theme of my thread is "Blake is an underrated and improved defender" so let's stick with that topic. Like I said.. I'm going by more of a 30 game sample size personally and the Clippers best defensive units last year had Griffin in them.

jericho
11-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Derailing the thread is to change the topic and dominate the thread with said topic, taking it off course. The general theme of my thread is "Blake is an underrated and improved defender" so let's stick with that topic. Like I said.. I'm going by more of a 30 game sample size personally and the Clippers best defensive units last year had Griffin in them.

actually the name of the thread is "Number One Defender In The NBA So Far By Synergy" you tricked us into coming in

Chavacano
11-11-2012, 03:40 PM
you forgot the same writers that forgot to put iggy in the 1st or 2nd all nba defensive team

^^ NBA all-defensive teams are actually voted by the head coaches and not by the media peeps.

Clippersfan86
11-11-2012, 03:40 PM
actually the name of the thread is "Number One Defender In The NBA So Far By Synergy" you tricked us into coming in

Which is accurate is it not? I didn't put the name in the title because it seemed too long. Made it more suspenseful and surprising that way. I even had the common sense to say "so far" and elaborate so people knew I wasn't misleading them and proclaiming OMG BLAKE IS THE BEST DEFENDER IN THE NBA!!!

Ebbs
11-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Wow I'm actually quite impressed by this

jericho
11-11-2012, 04:10 PM
^^ NBA all-defensive teams are actually voted by the head coaches and not by the media peeps.

ups my bad lol but still they robbed him of that spot

Chavacano
11-11-2012, 04:15 PM
ups my bad lol but still they robbed him of that spot

^^ All's well that ends well. :p

cuttydoesit6
11-11-2012, 04:23 PM
i hate the guy, biggest flopper in the entire nba

but damn hes a physical freak, if he puts it all together look out

dudes a beast...

NFLNBA
11-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Blake Griffin to me is a lot like Amare was with Nash. Unstoppable most part to how great the PG is and there ability and athleticism off the high screen and roll. Once Amare left Nash he has never been the same. Griffin is a high fly act with great stregth, hops, and flops lol His offensive game after the pick and roll is miniscule and his defense on a post player is bad but does have good defense on face up players amd decent help defense.

IMO Griffin is a top 10-15 PF. Canr rely on your athleticism forever so he beter get a more all around game. He will be prone to injury with how he plays so thats a concen. and the NBA is coming down on floping so a lot of his game will be hurt there as well

Lakers + Giants
11-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Knew it was a clipper once I saw who the poster was. Small sample size. Just like kobe being extremely efficient so far, it won't last the whole year, sadly.

VinceCarter
11-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Anybody who flops shouldn't be considered one of the best defenders. Until they learn to stop flopping then we can take a look.

Gritz
11-11-2012, 04:45 PM
If he's not scoring or rebounding, who cares

Clippersfan86
11-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Anybody who flops shouldn't be considered one of the best defenders. Until they learn to stop flopping then we can take a look.

He hasn't been flopping at all really since the playoffs :facepalm:.

VinceCarter
11-11-2012, 05:03 PM
He hasn't been flopping at all really since the playoffs :facepalm:.

Okay, thanks for the info? :facepalm:

Clippersfan86
11-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Okay, thanks for the info? :facepalm:

The only facepalm here is you for your incredibly ignorant comment. Starting with the Grizzlies series Blake hasn't flopped more than a couple times total so to say "You can't be a good defender till you stop flopping" shows how little you know about the game of basketball or keep up with other teams TBH.

VinceCarter
11-11-2012, 05:13 PM
The only facepalm here is you for your incredibly ignorant comment. Starting with the Grizzlies series Blake hasn't flopped more than a couple times total so to say "You can't be a good defender till you stop flopping" shows how little you know about the game of basketball or keep up with other teams TBH.

Oh, I am so incredibly sorry I don't have League Pass. :facepalm: And please tell me how the game of basketball has flopping apart of it? It doesn't. Only very select players do it to try to buy calls.

Also even if what you're saying is true that's a couple of games compared to the other 2 seasons Blake has been flopping. I'm sure he'll be back at it soon enough.

KnicksorBust
11-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Blake Griffin to me is a lot like Amare was with Nash. Unstoppable most part to how great the PG is and there ability and athleticism off the high screen and roll. Once Amare left Nash he has never been the same. Griffin is a high fly act with great stregth, hops, and flops lol His offensive game after the pick and roll is miniscule and his defense on a post player is bad but does have good defense on face up players amd decent help defense.

IMO Griffin is a top 10-15 PF. Canr rely on your athleticism forever so he beter get a more all around game. He will be prone to injury with how he plays so thats a concen. and the NBA is coming down on floping so a lot of his game will be hurt there as well

Its amazing. He is nothing like Amare. Blake posts up a ton... you dont drop 20 on all dunks. Sorry. Hes not tyson chandler.

ChiSox219
11-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Its amazing. He is nothing like Amare. Blake posts up a ton... you dont drop 20 on all dunks. Sorry. Hes not tyson chandler.

It's ok, he doesnt have league pass either.

LA_Raiders
11-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Who? Ah the dunker...

jericho
11-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Which is accurate is it not? I didn't put the name in the title because it seemed too long. Made it more suspenseful and surprising that way. I even had the common sense to say "so far" and elaborate so people knew I wasn't misleading them and proclaiming OMG BLAKE IS THE BEST DEFENDER IN THE NBA!!!

well "so far" it has only been 4 or 5 games so lets not over react to this just a lil bit of knowledge for you it always ends bad when somebody makes a thread in the main forum for their own team they immediately put you in the homer category and dont take you seriously meh it doesnt matter its psd its gonna happen anyways lol

Clippersfan86
11-11-2012, 05:45 PM
well "so far" it has only been 4 or 5 games so lets not over react to this just a lil bit of knowledge for you it always ends bad when somebody makes a thread in the main forum for their own team they immediately put you in the homer category and dont take you seriously meh it doesnt matter its psd its gonna happen anyways lol

Didn't stop people from making 20 Harden threads. Like I said this is based on the entire playoffs, preseason AND now 6 games, not just this year. Blake's made strides as a defender that people seem to be ignoring. Kendrick Perkins of all people flat out said "The biggest thing with Blake now is that he's actually playing defense". He said that last year after the 3rd or 4th time the teams played (which would of been in April).

PatsSoxKnicks
11-11-2012, 05:47 PM

Yeah, I question whether people actually watch Blake in the context of a game or just catch the highlights where they'll never show you Blake posting up. Because if you actually watch a Clippers game, he does post up and scores on post ups. It just looks ugly but it works so who cares?

dee279
11-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Small sample size.

What does his penis have to do with anything? :rimshot:

kdspurman
11-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Didn't stop people from making 20 Harden threads. Like I said this is based on the entire playoffs, preseason AND now 6 games, not just this year. Blake's made strides as a defender that people seem to be ignoring. Kendrick Perkins of all people flat out said "The biggest thing with Blake now is that he's actually playing defense". He said that last year after the 3rd or 4th time the teams played (which would of been in April).

I know there was talks of him being injured in the Playoffs but I didn't notice any drastic improvements on defense in the series with SA. Still seemed pretty mediocre, rotation and effort wise

Swashcuff
11-11-2012, 07:04 PM
After watching the Clips game today my intention was to come onto PSD and start a thread or at least comment in the game thread about how much his D is improved. Glad to see this hear. Haters will STILL be haters however and he'd get the LeBron treatment for a while.

Swashcuff
11-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I question whether people actually watch Blake in the context of a game or just catch the highlights where they'll never show you Blake posting up. Because if you actually watch a Clippers game, he does post up and scores on post ups. It just looks ugly but it works so who cares?

I don't question it anymore. Its a certified fact that most who are ignorantly critical of Blake see him play 2 times. On ESPN top 10 highlights and on PSD when there is a thread created about one of his dunks.

No way one can possibly look at the game of basketball and see what garbage those guys spew. When Blake develops a nice little post game however the knock will be he can't drain Js and when he develops that the knock will be he can drain 3s. People just continue to bask in their ignorance as it relates to Blake. Its pitiful if you ask me.

Clippersfan86
11-11-2012, 07:15 PM
After watching the Clips game today my intention was to come onto PSD and start a thread or at least comment in the game thread about how much his D is improved. Glad to see this hear. Haters will STILL be haters however and he'd get the LeBron treatment for a while.

:clap: you definitely stay informed and knowledgeable and I respect that. People are as ignorant with Blake as they were with Lebron. For example Lebron's been a clutch player his entire career but one playoff run on the Heat and now EVERYBODY recycles the "choke" tag for him?? People are ignorant as hell.

Hustla23
11-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Small sample size.
This.

TornadoOfSouls
11-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Griffin's merely average according to Def RAPM. Based on RAPM, the best big man defenders this year are KG, Duncan, Tyson, Dwight, and Bogut. Then you have guys like Asik, Mark Gasol, Varajao, Taj Gibson, Hibbert, etc. You have to go pretty far down the list just to get to Griffin.

MrfadeawayJB
11-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Clippers forum?

Swashcuff
11-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Griffin's merely average according to Def RAPM. Based on RAPM, the best big man defenders this year are KG, Duncan, Tyson, Dwight, and Bogut. Then you have guys like Asik, Mark Gasol, Varajao, Taj Gibson, Hibbert, etc. You have to go pretty far down the list just to get to Griffin.

With the exception of Gibson (who right now is IMO the best defender at the PF in the NBA) all those guys are Cs who guard opposing C which happens to be a much weaker position than the PF currently. Next?

Also RAPM is more accurate the bigger the sample size gets. 6 games of RAPM is way less accurate than 6 games of synergy.

KnicksorBust
11-11-2012, 08:21 PM
It's ok, he doesnt have league pass either.

This actually made me :laugh:

It's only $179 in four installments. I did the math. It's like $0.25 per game. You can't beat those prices.

IndiansFan337
11-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Blake Griffin. I knew his defense is significantly improved but considering how much people still clown his D I found this funny and think it will make for good discussion. He's allowing just .34 ppg and from what I've seen with my own eyes his D is deterring players from even taking shots as much (KG style). Nobody has scored on him a single time in isolation so far. I wish pre-season was included because he was shutting people down. 6 game sample and no I don't think he's near the best but it does at least show he's playing very good D this year. If you think it's only scrubs he's played against think again.

Pau Gasol
LaMarcus Aldridge
David Lee
Zach Randolph
Tim Duncan

Are the guys he's battled with so far. So while his offense and rebounding are slumping a bit his D looks much improved.

I always thought Gasol could be a much better defender due to his incredible length. If he puts forth the effort most guys aren't going to be able to get good shots up on him.

I am very surprised to see Randolph on this list. He barely can get off the ground to contest shots, so I didn't expect him to be near the top of a defensive list.

Clippersfan86
11-11-2012, 08:32 PM
I always thought Gasol could be a much better defender due to his incredible length. If he puts forth the effort most guys aren't going to be able to get good shots up on him.

I am very surprised to see Randolph on this list. He barely can get off the ground to contest shots, so I didn't expect him to be near the top of a defensive list.

You misread it guys. These aren't PF's rankings on Synergy. These are Blake's matchups so far to get here defensively.

Clippersfan86
11-11-2012, 08:33 PM
With the exception of Gibson (who right now is IMO the best defender at the PF in the NBA) all those guys are Cs who guard opposing C which happens to be a much weaker position than the PF currently. Next?

Also RAPM is more accurate the bigger the sample size gets. 6 games of RAPM is way less accurate than 6 games of synergy.

Ether... the sh** that makes your soul burn slow :laugh::laugh:. Swash dropping fools like flies as usual.

Alayla
11-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Lol blake is still 2nd to Love imo this changes nothing

Chronz
11-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Blake Griffin to me is a lot like Amare was with Nash.

Says everyone who doesnt study the game but loves making lazy comparisons.

mdm692
11-11-2012, 10:38 PM
I can't wait for Blake Griffins athletic ability starts declining and he proves how EXTREMELY OVERRATED he is.

Chronz
11-12-2012, 03:34 AM
I can't wait for Blake Griffins athletic ability starts declining and he proves how EXTREMELY OVERRATED he is.

All that proves is that you dont know what the word overrated means

P Harvy
11-12-2012, 03:37 AM
Lol Blake Griffin best defender in the NBA?? :facepalm:

Hawkeye15
11-12-2012, 03:41 AM
I mean, I would care if this were after game 30, but I am sorry, I just don't right now.

Hawkeye15
11-12-2012, 03:42 AM

thats like a decade from now man. Not sure why so many always attack freakish athletes with this criticism.

Baller1
11-12-2012, 03:44 AM
I mean, I would care if this were after game 30, but I am sorry, I just don't right now.

Agreed.

Far too early for this thread.

IBleedPurple
11-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Sample size, If I drive in a Formula 1 race, I may be able to lead for a few laps. Same thing here.

Alayla
11-12-2012, 08:08 AM

you have convinced me in a single post that u have never wacthed griffin play

Alayla
11-12-2012, 08:09 AM

Alayla
11-12-2012, 08:12 AM
I Never have liked Griffin but the sheer amount of hate he gets is changing my mind im really pulling for this guy to turn some heads now.

Hawkeye15
11-12-2012, 10:36 AM
I Never have liked Griffin but the sheer amount of hate he gets is changing my mind im really pulling for this guy to turn some heads now.

well, he turned into a flop machine last year, and with the Clips getting a lot of nationally televised games, a lot of people got sick of it.

He has pleeeeeeenty of time to turn the perception of him around, in that regard I pointed to above.

He115ing
11-12-2012, 11:14 AM
as true as this might be, I will never have respect for a player who hits himself in the head with his own arm and flops:
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=blake+griffin+hits+himself&mid=BE7A1EEC30593B5F9ADEBE7A1EEC30593B5F9ADE&view=detail&FORM=VIRE3

Chronz
11-12-2012, 12:32 PM

well, he turned into a flop machine last year, and with the Clips getting a lot of nationally televised games, a lot of people got sick of it.

He has pleeeeeeenty of time to turn the perception of him around, in that regard I pointed to above.
Was that spose to explain anything?