PDA

View Full Version : Roy Hibbert

JayW_1023
11-11-2012, 10:20 AM
What are your opinions on his game? Where can he improve? A lot of people say he is soft.

I do think he is finesse more than power despite his physique. Where do you draw the line?

HYFR
11-11-2012, 10:47 AM
He just disappears too much in the games that I see. He's a solid big man and that's about it.

IndyRealist
11-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Probably belongs in the Pacers forum.

Roy has an average-decent offensive game. But it's being suffocated by David West. West is obviously a better scorer and so he a) gets the majority of the touches in the paint, b) never leaves the post area (and therefore never draws his man out of the post), and c) doesn't pass.

One thing Roy worked on last year that he's seem to forgotten is catching the ball on the move. It doesn't matter if the post holds the ball for cutters to run through if the cutters aren't actually trying to score. All it does is give time for the defense to collapse on you. Between that and West's man always being camped in the lane, and it's been hard for Roy to score when he gets the ball.

Defensively, he is worth every penny. He's rebounding fairly well, blocking a TON of shots, and controlling the paint without fouling.

I Rock Shaqs
11-11-2012, 11:29 AM
I've never heard anybody say he is soft.... And who are these a lot of people?

KnickaBocka.44
11-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Theres a difference between being soft and stiff, Hibbert is definitely stiff. Not really his fault though, he's 7'2'' and just can't move the way a 6'11'' or 7'0'' player does.

Being that he is 7'2'' though, I would expect him to be getting more than 7-8 rebounds per game on average. Again, this could be attributed to his stiffness. But he has definitely been extremely effective in the paint blocking and altering shots.

JasonJohnHorn
11-11-2012, 12:19 PM
I think part of the reason his rebounding numbers are a little low, is because he only gets 30 minutes a game. I think, especially considering how much he makes, Hibbert should be getting more minutes.

I know, as a Raptors fan, I was furious that the year Coangelo FINALLY made a good pick, he went and traded it for Jermain O'Neal! WTF?!?!!? And the Raps had passed up on Granger... we could have had Granger, Bosh and Hibbert starting in the front court! :-(

C'est la vie. Hibbert is good, and he's still getting better. Has had kind of a slow start to the season, but I expect him to pick it up a bit. The Pacers are deep though, and with West and Hansborough rebounding the ball well, AND Paul George working the glass, it would be hard for any player to grab 10+ a game. The Pacers are a great rebounding team.

ombada
11-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Green, George, stephenson and even Hill are all strong rebounding wings. In last nights game Hibbert had 12, Green had 8 and George had 7 (i think). Hansbrough had 6. Mahinmi, Stephenson and West all had 4. We have a lot of very lengthy athletic players that grab rebounds.

mvb815
11-11-2012, 02:07 PM
he's not playing up to his contract so far this season

THE MTL
11-11-2012, 02:39 PM
No reason why a 7-2 center doesnt get more rebounds. He is the tallest player in the NBA (that actually gets meaningful playing time). His contract extension was for the maximum. NO EXCUSES! He should be one of the best centers in the league and he has the tools to become that.

IndyRealist
11-11-2012, 07:22 PM
No reason why a 7-2 center doesnt get more rebounds. He is the tallest player in the NBA (that actually gets meaningful playing time). His contract extension was for the maximum. NO EXCUSES! He should be one of the best centers in the league and he has the tools to become that.

Other than being 7'2", he doesn't really have "tools". Coming into the NBA he was overweight, underdeveloped, extremely uncoordinated, and had no aggression. But he's a hard worker, systematically tackled every problem he has, and has gotten better every year. But his offense is extremely mechanical and easy to predict with game footage, because it's just not natural for him.

Chronz
11-11-2012, 09:43 PM
When will people realize rebounding isnt about height

ombada
11-12-2012, 01:18 AM
When will people realize rebounding isnt about height

exactly, its about positioning, boxing out. It helps if you can eat up space, but thats more about width than height.