PDA

View Full Version : Better rivalry now L.A.-S.F. or Bos-NYY ?

BoLasAzuL
11-11-2012, 03:44 AM
Whats everyone think is the better rivalry at the moment?

PraiseJesus
11-11-2012, 03:49 AM
LaSf

Quinnsanity
11-11-2012, 04:12 AM
Yankees-Red Sox has a higher ceiling, but there's more random vitriol between the Dodgers and Giants. Their fans legitimately hate each other, Yankees fans and Red Sox fans are just annoyed by each other.

RTL
11-11-2012, 04:44 AM
Dodgers-Giants has always been the better rivalry historically.

PatelJ1010
11-11-2012, 05:04 AM
Giants vs. Dodgers

totally crazy environment.

jbeezy
11-11-2012, 05:54 AM
Duck the Fodgers.

jonnydanger1
11-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Also, historically the Dodger and Giants are close performance wise, while the Yankees have been much better than the Red Sox. It's difficult for rivalry to be taken seriously when one team is dominate.

dtmagnet
11-11-2012, 06:33 AM
Well Yankees and Giants are both clearly better than their supposed rivals, so neither.

Azzacadabra
11-11-2012, 07:12 AM
When both Boston and NY are competitive (Boston wasn't last year) then it's a lot more fun.

HowFit
11-11-2012, 07:54 AM
When both Boston and NY are competitive (Boston wasn't last year) then it's a lot more fun.

Off season just started. How we know how competitive they'll be coming into season. Too early...

bagwell368
11-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Yankees-Red Sox has a higher ceiling, but there's more random vitriol between the Dodgers and Giants. Their fans legitimately hate each other, Yankees fans and Red Sox fans are just annoyed by each other.

I dunno. I know some BRS fans that toast every time they get together near or on the day Munson went down in the plane... more out of general hate of the Yanks, then actual happiness over Munson it must be noted.

Basically you need both of those teams to compete to have it be any good. Like '03-'10. It'll be a few years before we see that again.

Funny that the NY rivalry would make it with a 400 mile drive, and the gentle weather and spirits out West, but sure enough they bring it.

Cubs/Cards would be really good if Theo can restore the Cubs to the ranks of the worthy.

cubfan23
11-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Cubs vs Cards anyone?

Teufelshunde4
11-11-2012, 09:08 AM
There is not great rivalry in baseball right now.. Dodgers arent on the same level as Giants. And Red Sox have returned to also ran team.. Not that the Yanks have been unstoppable last few seasons..

Dodgers are gonna win the World Championship of Insane payroll soon if they havent already clinched it..

Fla.SticKy
11-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Redsox-Yankees.............and as for the the San Fran- L.A parking lot episode, maybe not of that magnitude, but I have seen some blood baths at Bos-NY games! Not taking anything at all away from the Giant-Dodgers rivalry, but its gotta be the Sox and Yanks!

The 6-4-3
11-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Yanks/Red Sox 5 years ago
L.A/SF the passed 2 years.

With LA becoming the Big Time team in the West it makes for a Better rivalry now.

Fly
11-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Yanks/Red Sox 5 years ago
L.A/SF the passed 2 years.

With LA becoming the Big Time team in the West it makes for a Better rivalry now.

Only they're not the big time team in the west :laugh2:.

Azzacadabra
11-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Off season just started. How we know how competitive they'll be coming into season. Too early...

No ****. I'm speaking in general terms.

Scully in 2012
11-11-2012, 11:11 AM
There is not great rivalry in baseball right now.. Dodgers arent on the same level as Giants. And Red Sox have returned to also ran team.. Not that the Yanks have been unstoppable last few seasons..

Dodgers are gonna win the World Championship of Insane payroll soon if they havent already clinched it..

Without injuries we were.... And w most certainly will be next year.and beyond.

Happy Birthday .

wesoutlaw
11-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Red sox/yankees!
whats everyone think is the better rivalry at the moment?

Green_Monster
11-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Also, historically the Dodger and Giants are close performance wise, while the Yankees have been much better than the Red Sox. It's difficult for rivalry to be taken seriously when one team is dominate.

It's better rivalry now. Read the title.

quade36
11-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Is there a third option?

mexican dodger
11-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Dodgers vs giants .......go dodgers

MetsFanatic19
11-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Right now, I'd say LA - SF, just because both teams are contenders in their division. With Boston really falling off the cliff of the Earth, their rivalry with the Yankees really took a toll.

Like with the Mets and Braves years ago, both were great rivals because they were both competing for the division title and they Mets in the NLCS in 1999, which was a very exciting series. Now, the Atlanta - New York rivalry isn'y much because in 2006, 2007, 2008, the Mets were good and the Braves weren't, and in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, the Braves were/are good and the Mets weren't/aren't.

Once the Red Sox and Yankees are both contending for the ALE title again, then it will become the Greatest Rivalry in All of Sports again.

BlackHoleCub
11-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Good thing nobody has mentioned Nationals Braves. that's totally not going to be a rivalry for years to come.

VRP723
11-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Yankees-Red Sox, when both teams are good, is the best rivalry in sports hands down. However, as the Giants won the World Series and the Dodgers are trying to assemble some sort of super team, this coming season Dodgers-Giants should be interesting.

MVPosey28
11-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Those Dodgers fans making fun of Brian Stowe......just shame on you.

Jeffy25
11-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Cubs/Cards

Lol, nm

ciaban
11-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Those Dodgers fans making fun of Brian Stowe......just shame on you.

I made the original joke, but in fairness it's been 2 years and he is getting better, he went to game 2 of the world series,

Also, while it is certainly Macrabe, that doesn't make it any less funny, that is just hilarious,

raidersrock99
11-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Just look at all the dodgers fans post being deleted. Our rivalry is fierce right now

ciaban
11-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Just look at all the dodgers fans post being deleted. Our rivalry is fierce right now

there were giants fans post deleted too, i didn't know this at the time, but brian stowe jokes are a bit of a hot button issue.

cubs1st
11-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Right now it's SF-LA.

xxplayerxx23
11-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Yanks-Redsoxs when the redsoxs are healthy and good. Right now its SF/LA but I think very soon it will go back to Yankees-Soxs

bosox3431
11-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Cubs/Cards

Lol, nm

Maybe not the teams, but the fans are close.

ciaban
11-11-2012, 01:50 PM
on this site at least it's dodgers and giants, we don't get along well at all, just like at the stadium, to quote dodger fan victor morillo, "glubglubglubglub".

GA16Angels
11-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Well, the Red Sox currently suck so I would go with the LA-SF rivalry but it will likely change hands again once the Red Sox become good again. However, I've never found the Red Sox-Yankee rivalry all that interesting.

Not to be a homer, but the Angels-Rangers rivalry is pretty good right now. All we need to do is get into a fight and then everyone will be watching us.

Rush
11-11-2012, 02:08 PM
I made the original joke, but in fairness it's been 2 years and he is getting better, he went to game 2 of the world series,

Also, while it is certainly Macrabe, that doesn't make it any less funny, that is just hilarious,

So what that it's been 2 years? It's still not cool. Dude almost lost his life because of an idiot and his young kids will have the same dad again.

jscotty8
11-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Giants vs. Dodgers is much better, the fans show up like its the playoffs even when both teams are out of it.

Yankees vs. Red Sox is a little contrived by ESPN.

Pakman
11-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Duck the Fodgers.this

MVPosey28
11-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Jokes like that are just awful. Shows the ignorance of Dodgers fans. Low class citizens.

Fly
11-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Stay classy, Ciaban.

Jeffy25
11-11-2012, 02:22 PM
there were giants fans post deleted too, i didn't know this at the time, but brian stowe jokes are a bit of a hot button issue.

Pretty obviously what you said had to be deleted.

The Giants fans posts that were deleted were deleted because they quoted your post.

It was not an okay joke to make, don't do it again.

Tkais9009
11-11-2012, 02:30 PM
now is SF and LA

normally though, its BOS and NYY

Odominator
11-11-2012, 02:53 PM
The brian stowe jokes are tasteless I agree, but people comment as if stowe did not have a part in instigating the fight and was walking innocently in the parking lot. There were phone videos showing stowe heckling other dodger fans. I know plenty of Giants fans who go to the game and safely returned home.

stowe is not all that innocent, but because he is white and was the victim of course people will come to his aid.

oh, btw, stowe had 3 friends with him that night and was beaten down by two men, how did that happen?

Rush
11-11-2012, 03:36 PM
The brian stowe jokes are tasteless I agree, but people comment as if stowe did not have a part in instigating the fight and was walking innocently in the parking lot. There were phone videos showing stowe heckling other dodger fans. I know plenty of Giants fans who go to the game and safely returned home.

stowe is not all that innocent, but because he is white and was the victim of course people will come to his aid.

oh, btw, stowe had 3 friends with him that night and was beaten down by two men, how did that happen?

We're bringing race into this now? If he was another race I'm sure everyone would be as concerned and outraged by this. Give me a ****ing break. That's such a ****ing stupid statement. There'd still be people praying for him, there'd still be people donating money to him, Barry Bonds would still be setting up a college fund for his kids, etc.

I haven't seen any videos, but even if he was talking **** (which is dumb), that still doesn't warrant a vicious beating that nearly ended his life and will never make him the same person or dad again.

LASportsFan1996
11-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Jokes like that are just awful. Shows the ignorance of Dodgers fans. Low class citizens.

You're just a troll anyways

As for the question, LA/SF is the better rivalry, team and fan wise

NYYCowboys
11-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Yanks-Boston.

Nomar
11-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Giants fans came out of the woodwork after the world series a couple years ago. They're gonna be just like the Blue Jays of the early 90's I think. Two great years then they slip back to mediocrity. Belt i like and Sandoval is a bit overhyped but is a good player. Posey is great, but besides that you have an declining ace, an older Vogelsong, and a horrible farm to boot.

Not trying to start an argument because the Sox are way worse presently than SF obviously, but that's just how i see it.

When the Sox and Yankees are actually at a point where their rivalry has some implication on the playoffs, then things will be a lot less heated. Show me a bigger rivalry in baseball than the 03-04 Sox-Yanks.

d79cheese
11-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Giants fans came out of the woodwork after the world series a couple years ago. They're gonna be just like the Blue Jays of the early 90's I think. Two great years then they slip back to mediocrity. Belt i like and Sandoval is a bit overhyped but is a good player. Posey is great, but besides that you have an declining ace, an older Vogelsong, and a horrible farm to boot.
Not trying to start an argument because the Sox are way worse presently than SF obviously, but that's just how i see it.

When the Sox and Yankees are actually at a point where their rivalry has some implication on the playoffs, then things will be a lot less heated. Show me a bigger rivalry in baseball than the 03-04 Sox-Yanks.

you're right, Cain and Bumgarner are just mid level replacement players that will probably be out of the league in 2 seasons :cool:

Rush
11-11-2012, 03:56 PM

The Giants have a solid core to be good for more than just these past few years- Belt, Crawford, Pablo, Posey, Bumgarner, Cain, Romo, Lincecum, Wilson.

I don't believe Pablo's overhyped. His two major injuries were to due to the way he held his bat and broke his hamate bone and won't miss time for that injury ever again since both his hamate bones are gone. He still had a good year and is a good defender. Next year I think with no injuries (hopefully), he'll show his 2011 form again.

The Giants don't have a lot of near ready prospects in the upper levels. Gary Brown is the gem of the system right now, but they have some very high talented pitchers in the lower levels that shined this year- Clayton Blackburn and Kyle Crick. They also drafted a good pitcher this year in Chris Stratton. Eric Surkamp has put up good numbers throughout his minor league career, but had to be shelved this year because of TJ surgery so hopefully he returns to form. They also have two good relief prospects in Heath Hembree and Brett Bochy. I think it's an underrated system. Not the best, but definitely underrated.

Nomar
11-11-2012, 04:06 PM
I don't believe Pablo's overhyped. His two major injuries were to due to the way he held his bat and broke his hamate bone and won't miss time for that injury ever again since both his hamate bones are gone. He still had a good year and is a good defender. Next year I think with no injuries (hopefully), he'll show his 2011 form again.

The Giants don't have a lot of near ready prospects in the upper levels. Gary Brown is the gem of the system right now, but they have some very high talented pitchers in the lower levels that shined this year- Clayton Blackburn and Kyle Crick- and draft a good pitcher this year in Chris Stratton along with Eric Surkamp who put up good numbers throughout his minor league career, but was shelved this year because of TJ surgery and have two good relief prospects in Hembree and Bochy. I think it's an underrated system. Not the best, but definitely underrated.

All good points. Sandoval will hopefully be less injury prone; i didn't put much consideration on his injuries given that hamate bone ones wont be recurring.I like Crick too based on his pure stuff.

Gary Brown isn't a gem anymore though. Blackburn is solid but has a #3 ceiling. Stratton had a good year and the last I read about Surkamp said he still profiled as a back end guy, but that doesnt mean there isnt value there.

The biggest problem with SF's system for me is that there seems to be no potential All Star in it right now besides Crick and hes far from that ceiling. Brown has fallen off big time. To me they have to be in the bottom 5 in the MLB.

Nomar
11-11-2012, 04:08 PM
you're right, Cain and Bumgarner are just mid level replacement players that will probably be out of the league in 2 seasons :cool:

When did I ever say that? I never discredited Cain, Posey, or Bumgarner. All 3 are all stars.

CHRISDODGERS
11-11-2012, 04:15 PM
a couple years back I'd say NYY/BOS but since the Giants have won 2 of 3 and the Dodgers are doing apparently whatever it takes to win, i'll go ahead and pick that rivalry.

Fly
11-11-2012, 04:16 PM

Right, because trash talk in a rivalry game warrants a life-threatening beating. Great point. :rolleyes:

GA16Angels
11-11-2012, 04:25 PM
If the best rivalry is determined by which fan base can spew the most stupid ****, then it's safe to say it's a tie between both.

CHRISDODGERS
11-11-2012, 04:27 PM
If the best rivalry is determined by which fan base can spew the most stupid ****, then it's safe to say it's a tie between both.

:laugh2:

cubfan23
11-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Maybe not the teams, but the fans are close.

exactly...the Cubs have sucked the past several years and have been owned but the fans still make it a great rivalry and should at least get mentioned with these other ones.

Scully in 2012
11-11-2012, 06:11 PM

So what that it's been 2 years? It's still not cool. Dude almost lost his life because of an idiot and his young kids will have the same dad again.

Have to agree. No sports team or event is worth taking someone's life from them. In this case he is still alive but a significant portion of his life and the lives of his family, especially his kids, will be changed forever. Totally ridiculous. F the guys that did this.

Jeffy25
11-11-2012, 06:38 PM
exactly...the Cubs have sucked the past several years and have been owned but the fans still make it a great rivalry and should at least get mentioned with these other ones.

Yup.

It's just not a violent rivalry.

My wife is a Cubs fan, I'm a Cards fan.

We both feel safe going to Wrigley and Busch in our gear.

Many of my closest friends are Cubs fans. It's a genuinely fun rivalry, playful jokes back and forth. But nobody hates each other.

I just think it's really the way people are, and the temperament of people in the mid-west vs the coasts. We don't take it that seriously.

ciaban
11-11-2012, 07:23 PM
So what that it's been 2 years? It's still not cool. Dude almost lost his life because he's an idiot and his young kids will have the same dad again.
fixed. I have gone to plenty of games at telephone booth park,i have gotten drunk at games, i never wander off alone, even if i go to the bathroom or something i make sure my friends wait out side, i always stay in a crowed, most large groups of people wont let a couple of jerks jump me, and i don't talk crap unless there is security near by, the fact that he has young kids should have made him that much more careful, if you have kids don't drink and drive, they need you alive. It's as simple as that.

Pretty obviously what you said had to be deleted.

The Giants fans posts that were deleted were deleted because they quoted your post.

It was not an okay joke to make, don't do it again.
on this site at least it's dodgers and giants, we don't get along well at all, just like at the stadium, to quote dodger fan victor morillo, "glubglubglubglub".
don't do it again huh? really, cause i did do it again, damn if only i had known i wouldn't have made a joke about a guy who is dead, is that why it's ok because he is dead? it must be OK because it is still up for the world to see. Is it because he WAS a dodger fan, he was a prison guard in vacavile i want to say, 27 years old, with a family, but that's ok. Making fun of poor brain stowe, for wandering off from his group and getting his head beat in that's a problem, awesome. I didn't think it was all that obvious, because i made a similar joke later and it's still up there.

that joke is objectively funny, absolutely mean and macabre, but still very funny, like danile tosh,
Oh yeah race definitely plays a part in this, if 2 girls get kidnapped, one is white one is non-white, the white girl is all we will hear about, look at nancy grace for instance, all the kidnappings and missing kids she covers are all cute little white girls. She is on national television.

We're bringing race into this now? If he was another race I'm sure everyone would be as concerned and outraged by this. Give me a ****ing break. That's such a ****ing stupid statement. There'd still be people praying for him, there'd still be people donating money to him, Barry Bonds would still be setting up a college fund for his kids, etc.

I haven't seen any videos, but even if he was talking **** (which is dumb), that still doesn't warrant a vicious beating that nearly ended his life and will never make him the same person or dad again.
not for as long and it wouldn't have got the same coverage, and sure money would be donated but not as much, lets not kid ourselves. this is the way things have always worked.
No one said he deserved to be beaten to death, just like if someone works with pyrotechnics you hope they never get burned, but if they do it is understandable,
Why was Stowe alone? He was with 2-3 other people at that game, why wasn't he in an area with lots of people, most dodger fans wouldn't have let him get beat to death, they would have intervened, or the thugs wouldn't have wanted to do something with too many witnesses. If you put yourself in dangerous situations bad things will happen.
If you live with a crack head don't come crying when that person steals from you, I mean yeah the person shouldn't have done it, and you didn't deserve to be robbed, however, the only persons actions I can control are my own, so i won't put myself in positions with little control.
He was being dumb and unfortunately got hurt, but he isn't holy, if the president of the united states can be mocked, if the catholic church can be mocked, if the bible or quran can be mocked, why can't he? People make Holocaust and 911 jokes, but Brian Stowe is untouchable? Why?

ciaban
11-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Yup.

Many of my closest friends are Cubs fans. It's a genuinely fun rivalry, playful jokes back and forth. But nobody hates each other.

I just think it's really the way people are, and the temperament of people in the mid-west vs the coasts. We don't take it that seriously.

the temperament around the country is about the same, except in Utah,
Isn't San Francisco considered the definition of a laid back city?

SportsAndrew25
11-11-2012, 07:30 PM
If you asked this question in 2004, I would unblinkingly say Yankees/Red Sox. Consider how bereft of quality players the current Red Sox roster is, the Giants and Dodgers are clearly the better rivalry. The Giants just won the World Series and the Dodgers are very well going to be a contending team for years to come with the new ownership group and the massive influx of cash that will come in.

Jeffy25
11-11-2012, 08:44 PM
....or it could just have something to do with the fact that the Cubs have been a non-threat for so long.

Won 97 games in 08

LASportsFan1996
11-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Won 97 games in 08 (best record in baseball)

Those playoffs were fun :D

Rush
11-11-2012, 08:53 PM
not for as long and it wouldn't have got the same coverage, and sure money would be donated but not as much, lets not kid ourselves. this is the way things have always worked.
No one said he deserved to be beaten to death, just like if someone works with pyrotechnics you hope they never get burned, but if they do it is understandable,
Why was Stowe alone? He was with 2-3 other people at that game, why wasn't he in an area with lots of people, most dodger fans wouldn't have let him get beat to death, they would have intervened, or the thugs wouldn't have wanted to do something with too many witnesses. If you put yourself in dangerous situations bad things will happen.

If you live with a crack head don't come crying when that person steals from you, I mean yeah the person shouldn't have done it, and you didn't deserve to be robbed, however, the only persons actions I can control are my own, so i won't put myself in positions with little control.
He was being dumb and unfortunately got hurt, but he isn't holy, if the president of the united states can be mocked, if the catholic church can be mocked, if the bible or quran can be mocked, why can't he? People make Holocaust and 911 jokes, but Brian Stowe is untouchable? Why?

This issue would just be as big if he was non-white. I truly believe it. To bring race into this is just stupid. It's about a guy who almost got killed. Why do we need to argue that it would be different otherwise? It's pointless and just not going to end up pretty.

I think Holocaust and 911 jokes are bad as well. I seriously don't see the need to make fun of Brian Stow and the situation. If this happened to your dad you wouldn't think it's funny and I'm sure would be pissed off if you heard a joke about it. When people say jokes like that they look pretty low. You trying to even reason why it's ok to make fun of the situation just makes yourself look bad. It's just not cool (as you can see by the response on PSD at least).

jonnydanger1
11-11-2012, 09:22 PM
It's better rivalry now. Read the title.

What? It's historically a better rivalry because of the close numbers and it's obviously a better rivalry right now, considering the dodgers and giants fought it out until the end of August. The Dodgers are now spending Yankee money to compete for a World Series that the Giants just won, is there any question it's a better rivalry right now?

Tragedy
11-11-2012, 09:35 PM

True. No rivalry is fantastic right now because at least one team in all the rivalries isn't close to the same level as the other team.

Dodgers are not on the level of the World Series Giants.

Red Sox suck, Yankees are old (at least they made the Playoffs, though).

Cardinals are solid, Cubs are laughable.

Skippy15
11-11-2012, 10:01 PM

Exactly. It's like the trayvon Martin ****. The kid was a bit of a thug and a punk. Thats not arguable, he was a class ditcher, bad student (obvious even further since family is fighting to keep school records private), he wasnt a bad person it sounds like but he was still a bit of a teenage punk. He didnt deserve to be killed by any means but people had to make it a race thing. The actual crime itself was a racial crime. But the people claiming the only reason it got publicity was because he was black, that's ridiculous. It was news because a young boy was shot and killed in an extreme manner.

Skippy15
11-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Im also throwing out that while there isn't a ton of history as of right now their is more bad blood between the reds and cardinals than there is between any of these teams

Scully in 2012
11-11-2012, 10:38 PM

Exactly. It's like the trayvon Martin ****. The kid was a bit of a thug and a punk. Thats not arguable, he was a class ditcher, bad student (obvious even further since family is fighting to keep school records private), he wasnt a bad person it sounds like but he was still a bit of a teenage punk. He didnt deserve to be killed by any means but people had to make it a race thing. The actual crime itself was a racial crime. But the people claiming the only reason it got publicity was because he was black, that's ridiculous. It was news because a young boy was shot and killed in an extreme manner.

Hate to break It to you but the media attention was entirely based in race.

They simply take the story that sells, period. Two white guys,two black guys, two asian or whatever, in the same situation would have been an overnight come and go story.

It is what it is.

Skippy15
11-11-2012, 10:44 PM

They simply take the story that sells, period. Two white guys,two black guys, two asian or whatever, in the same situation would have been an overnight come and go story.

It is what it is.

Race plays into everything to an extent in news stories like these. But no matter the race people would still be watching and sending prayers and whatever to these families.

Race matters a small amount, they will play things off to certain to certain races to make people watch but as long as they report it people will watch.

So hate to break it to you but race had nothing to do with it as far as people being captivated by the story, people would make the same amount of fuss if either of these cases were Asian, white, black, Hispanic or any other race. If a teen is dragged down and shot or a dad is beaten to near death at a baseball game, no matter what people will watch and care

NY_Heartbreak
11-11-2012, 10:49 PM
L.A., S.F.

Both teams are good right now. L.A. is in win-now mode with bottomless pockets and S.F. just won the World Series. The Red Sox are rebuilding and the Yankees are trying to get younger. This isn't a hard question.

theproof
11-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Personally, I feel that as of right now the Giants/Dodger rivalry is far ahead of the Yankees/Redsox rivalry in terms of fan interaction. It's looking like it's only going to gett worse in the future too now that both teams are looking to be really good in 2013.

netsgiantsyanks
11-11-2012, 11:19 PM
LA-SF is way more intense, just ask bryan stow. (no offense).

doyerfan59
11-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Whichever rivalry spends less money is the better one

Odominator
11-11-2012, 11:25 PM

No, he got killed because of racial profiling. Sounds like you were privileged enough to be white, its something that people of color like to call "white privilege." When you are ignorant and discard issues of race and discrimination, you are blinded by white privilege. I did not say the guy deserve to get beat, but anyone can practice common sense. If I was a Giants fan attending a dodger home game, I would definitely not call out dodger fans.

JoeDirt05
11-11-2012, 11:29 PM
cards vs cubs best in baseball

Odominator
11-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Race plays into everything to an extent in news stories like these. But no matter the race people would still be watching and sending prayers and whatever to these families.

Race matters a small amount, they will play things off to certain to certain races to make people watch but as long as they report it people will watch.

So hate to break it to you but race had nothing to do with it as far as people being captivated by the story, people would make the same amount of fuss if either of these cases were Asian, white, black, Hispanic or any other race. If a teen is dragged down and shot or a dad is beaten to near death at a baseball game, no matter what people will watch and care

People of color die everyday in communities that are underserved, however, we get breaking news of thugs vandalizing some "white" persons pumpkins in their front yard.

Breaking news buddy, race is still a huge factor in contemporary social issues. A majority of conservatives supported Romney because Obama is not a wealthy white protestant male from traditional white families.

And who are these people you are referring too? Quit being general and playing down the role of race in todays social issues. You are just another privileged sheltered kid who don't understand the racial hierarchy in place to keep down people who are not white.

Odominator
11-11-2012, 11:38 PM

And you typcasting Trayvon martin just shows how you perpetuate stereotypes fed to you through the media. The murder was motivated by racial profiling, that is why it was a relevant news story.

And there is no need to call someone who has passed a "thug" and a "punk." You are a low life scum for blaming others for being tasteless for making jokes about stowe but you go and claim that Martin is a thug and punk? Did you know him personally? I am betting you didn't.

11-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Yup.

Wow. Talk about a mixed marriage.. :speechless:

11-11-2012, 11:46 PM

Actually Giants-Dodgers rivalry goes back way farther than that. They both played in NY at one time. (Strewth, look it up... :) )

But seriously, I grew up in CT. And Sox-Yanks is all you hear about there. For me being an NL fan in CT, it was rough...

Giants-Dodgers and Sox-Yanks are two of those 'natural' rivalries that will always be heated no matter how good the teams are or where they are in the standings. One of the great things about baseball...

raidersrock99
11-12-2012, 12:39 AM

ya not really a joking matter

raidersrock99
11-12-2012, 12:43 AM
why is race even an issue, man dodgers fans

Krush
11-12-2012, 01:54 AM
LA/SF because Boston is no longer a threat to New York.

d79cheese
11-12-2012, 02:08 AM
When did I ever say that? I never discredited Cain, Posey, or Bumgarner. All 3 are all stars.

You claimed they would slip back to mediocrity becuase they had belt, sandoval, posey and rotation of a "declining ace" and older vogelsong. A 1-2 punch of Cain and Bumgarner can easily keep a team in relevance for many years to come.

The Giants have the best collection of proven young talent in the entire NL West, which should def. keep them relevant. The Blue Jays ran into the problem of starting a dynasty right around the time free agency really took off. And they didn't take the necessary steps to maintain their quality players.

Yes, the Giants don't have a very good farm system right now, but that is mainly because they have graduated top talent in a very short amount of time. No team can compete with the major league talent the Giants produced from 2006-2008 first rounds (Lincecum, Bumgarner, Posey). Additionally, the Giants produced Belt and Crawford who contributed heavily in this WS run and Sandoval has been a jewel of the international signings. The Giants don't have any top tier talent ready to produce this year, but a guy like Gary Brown can easily contribute as Crawford did this year (gold glove defense at a crucial position) with elite speed on the base paths. Pitching wise, they have two of the more interesting guys in the lower minors. Kyle Crick who has only been pitching for 2 years and this year only allowed 75 hits in 111 innings with ONE homerun allowed. Walks are a huge issue, but the Giants organization has a lot of recent success with similar pitchers. Clayton Blackburn probably had the best season from any lower level minor league starter. They also just drafted the SEC pitcher of the year (Chris Stratton).

Giants have been one of the better run organizations the last 4-5 years, and I see no reason why things will change in the near future. No longer will they go out and overpay for a Rowand or Zito when they are putting the necessary resources into scouting and player development. Giants won't ever go dollar for dollar witht he Dodgers, but they have a good amount of money and have increased payroll the last 4 seasons and that trend will probably continue with another deep playoff run, lucrative TV deal, and a "Wrigleyville" West being built in near vacant lots (condos, buisness buildings, bars/restaurants).

Nomar
11-12-2012, 02:19 AM
You claimed they would slip back to mediocrity in part cuz of the rotation conisisting of a "declining ace" and older vogelsong. A 1-2 punch of Cain and Bumgarner can easily keep a team in relevance for many years to come.

The Giants have the best collection of proven young talent in the entire NL West, which should def. keep them relevant. The Blue Jays ran into the problem of starting a dynasty right around the time free agency really took off. And they didn't take the necessary steps to maintain their quality players.

Yes, the Giants don't have a very good farm system right now, but that is mainly because they have graduated top talent in a very short amount of time. No team can compete with the major league talent the Giants produced from 2006-2008 first rounds (Lincecum, Bumgarner, Posey). Additionally, the Giants produced Belt and Crawford who contributed heavily in this WS run and Sandoval has been a jewel of the international signings. The Giants don't have any top tier talent ready to produce this year, but a guy like Gary Brown can easily contribute as Crawford did this year (gold glove defense at a crucial position) with elite speed on the base paths. Pitching wise, they have two of the more interesting guys in the lower minors. Kyle Crick who has only been pitching for 2 years and this year only allowed 75 hits in 111 innings with ONE homerun allowed. Walks are a huge issue, but the Giants organization has a lot of recent success with similar pitchers. Clayton Blackburn probably had the best season from any lower level minor league starter. They also just drafted the SEC pitcher of the year (Chris Stratton).

Giants have been one of the better run organizations the last 4-5 years, and I see no reason why things will change in the near future. No longer will they go out and overpay for a Rowand or Zito when they are putting the necessary resources into scouting and player development. Giants won't ever go dollar for dollar witht he Dodgers, but they have a good amount of money and have increased payroll the last 4 seasons and that trend will probably continue with another deep playoff run, lucrative TV deal, and a "Wrigleyville" West being built in near vacant lots (condos, buisness buildings, bars/restaurants).

There are plenty of teams with good 1, 2 punches that dont contend. Kershaw and Billingsley make just as good of a punch i would say. I like Stratton, and love Belt. Crawford is very good defensively, but isnt really an impact player. Gary Brown's speed is well known but look how many times he got caught stealing this year. Pretty horrible amount considering how fast he is. Mediocrity may have been a harsh term, i shouldve said i dont see them being the front runners for the pennant. It will be nice to have Zito off of the books, but that money will be needed to keep Sandoval and probably Belt who i think will have a breakout year next year. And Crick as i said before has nasty stuff, I like him a lot. I'm in the minority i know that, but i see the Giants falling off a bit. Just an opinion though.

d79cheese
11-12-2012, 02:23 AM
There are plenty of teams with good 1, 2 punches that dont contend. Kershaw and Billingsley make just as good of a punch i would say. I like Stratton, and love Belt. Crawford is very good defensively, but isnt really an impact player. Gary Brown's speed is well known but look how many times he got caught stealing this year. Pretty horrible amount considering how fast he is. Mediocrity may have been a harsh term, i shouldve said i dont see them being the front runners for the pennant. It will be nice to have Zito off of the books, but that money will be needed to keep Sandoval and probably Belt who i think will have a breakout year next year. And Crick as i said before has nasty stuff, I like him a lot. I'm in the minority i know that, but i see the Giants falling off a bit. Just an opinion though.

I can agree witht this. When you compared them to the Blue Jays it didn't make much sense cuz the Blue Jays went basically irrelevant after the strike.

Jeffy25
11-12-2012, 02:33 AM
Breaking news buddy, race is still a huge factor in contemporary social issues. A majority of conservatives supported Romney because Obama is not a wealthy white protestant male from traditional white families.

And Obama got 93% of the African-American vote.

If you are going to profile, make sure you are aware it works both ways.

Skippy was never trying to use race as a crutch. He was saying race shouldn't matter when discussing these things, that all people should see things as color-blinded individuals.

It was in response to it being brought up that Stowe was white, which doesn't matter, just like it wouldn't/shouldn't matter if he was Black, Latino, Asian, Jewish, female, etc.

It shouldn't matter, and it shouldn't have been brought up.

raidersrock99
11-12-2012, 03:03 AM

Skippy was never trying to use race as a crutch. He was saying race shouldn't matter when discussing these things, that all people should see things as color-blinded individuals.

It was in response to it being brought up that Stowe was white, which doesn't matter, just like it wouldn't/shouldn't matter if he was Black, Latino, Asian, Jewish, female, etc.

thank you jeffy, people think that its only "white" people that are racist. but everyone said im voting for obama because he is black. it shouldnt happen either way. and its definately not a factor when it comes to how much giants fans care about brian stowe. if he was purple i would have the same feeling about it

raidersrock99
11-12-2012, 03:08 AM

you forgot one very important name in this post posey.

think if the giants lock up pagan

our teams core will be

rf-pagan
cf-brown
1b-belt
ss-crawford
3b-pablo
c-posey
lf-pence(depending on how he does this year)
2b-panik

pitching staff

cain
bumgarner
stratton
timmy-one bad year
vogey/crick

our core is young, and still higly talented this is without any free agents or trades to come.. anyway i know the dodgers are stacked in the farm should be an interesting few years

jbeezy
11-12-2012, 03:12 AM

They are not even the best team in Souther California.

dodgerdave
11-12-2012, 03:13 AM
LA/SF these days isn't what it was in the past. If you want to see a real rivalry, then turn back the clock to the 1960's during the age of the Drysdale/Marichal beanball wars. And I would say the rivalry has ebbed even more in recent years with the departure of Barry Bonds.

dodgernation
11-12-2012, 04:22 AM
yeah! every dodger fan is a low class citizen! makes sense! :facepalm:

The SF Giant
11-12-2012, 04:53 AM

BS

If Brian Stowe was Carlos Hernandez, he'd be forgotten a week after the incident.

You gotta be real naive if you think white victims don't get way more press than non-whites.

Where's the non-white version of Natalee Holloway, Jon Benet Ramsey, Elizabeth Smart etc?

ciaban
11-12-2012, 06:22 AM
I didn't see your original joke, but all I can say to this long-winded group of responses is: GET A CLUE. No one is mistaking you for Daniel ****ing Tosh, man.
i didn't think anyone would confuse me for danile tosh, there would be no need to think that.
Also, i guess i am just confused because i made joke about a dodger fan who drowned and it's still up there, but Brian Stowe lived and that joke isn't cool? I don't really get it. Are people afraid that Brian Stowe will read that joke? Because, he can't read and i am not sure if he knows how to be offended anymore but i am not Doctor.
And are you saying my response is long winded or everyone else is long winded, because some of the people i responded to i was agreeing with, it sounds like you just kind of glossed over stuff but want talk crap anyway.

This issue would just be as big if he was non-white. I truly believe it. To bring race into this is just stupid. It's about a guy who almost got killed. Why do we need to argue that it would be different otherwise? It's pointless and just not going to end up pretty.

I think Holocaust and 911 jokes are bad as well. I seriously don't see the need to make fun of Brian Stow and the situation. If this happened to your dad you wouldn't think it's funny and I'm sure would be pissed off if you heard a joke about it. When people say jokes like that they look pretty low. You trying to even reason why it's ok to make fun of the situation just makes yourself look bad. It's just not cool (as you can see by the response on PSD at least).
Victor Murillo, that's my response, the dude drowned in the bay out side of telephone booth stadium, he got none of the attention, there aren't any players donating money to his family, he is just dead.

Why are Holocaust and 911 and pearl harbor jokes bad? Are you saying that no one has written a good joke about these things? Or no one should be allowed to? Why? If George Carlin can make rape jokes, anyone should be allowed to do anything. Also, me and my father don't have the best relationship, so if someone was making fun of him being dead i probably wouldn't care. My mom feels the same way about her father.

Also, the jokes couldn't be that inappropriate, because i made a Victor Murrillo joke and it's still up there. So i guess this stuff isn't that bad. Selective censorship is confusing.

ciaban
11-12-2012, 06:51 AM
LA-SF is way more intense, just ask bryan stow. (no offense).
GOD DAMN IT, I SAID THIS EXACT THING AND IT GOT CENSORED, I AM SO GOD DAMN JEALOUS

People of color die everyday in communities that are underserved, however, we get breaking news of thugs vandalizing some "white" persons pumpkins in their front yard.

And who are these people you are referring too? Quit being general and playing down the role of race in todays social issues. You are just another privileged sheltered kid who don't understand the racial hierarchy in place to keep down people who are not white.
in fairness Romney isn't a protestant he is a Mormon. But race is still absolutely a prevalent issue.

ya not really a joking matter
why not? Just because things are mean or dark doesn't mean they can't be funny

It is what it is.
absolutely

No, he got killed because of racial profiling. Sounds like you were privileged enough to be white, its something that people of color like to call "white privilege." When you are ignorant and discard issues of race and discrimination, you are blinded by white privilege. I did not say the guy deserve to get beat, but anyone can practice common sense. If I was a Giants fan attending a dodger home game, I would definitely not call out dodger fans.
I'm going to be honest, i love white privilege, i never leave home with out it. Your right he wasn't applying any common sense, and got his *** kicked, that's what happened, i never leave a crowd, or go off alone when i go to games in SF

because black people don't run the media and don't have any control over the content, however, when looking at what gets played in the news cycles, a little white girl getting kidnapped will always get billing over a little black girl getting kid napped, and i don't think people are racist for voting a certain way. Are all Mormons racist for voting for Romney?

RTL
11-12-2012, 12:23 PM
How is this thread still open?

Leandres_sf
11-12-2012, 01:25 PM

:clap:

Leandres_sf
11-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Are all Mormons racist for voting for Romney?

Mormon isn't a race, it's a religion.

Az_Dodgers_Fan
11-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Dodgers/Giants. They have been rivals since before the other teams even existed. Besides until 5 years ago (and one massive force feeding of said "rivalry") the Yankees/Red Sox wasn't even a rivalry. If ESPN wasnt halfway between Boston and NYC no one would even care about them.

lol, please
11-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Well Yankees and Giants are both clearly better than their supposed rivals, so neither.

This.

I am more concerned with our postseason rivals: Cardinals, Phillies (come back!) now hopefully the Tigers, etc.

ciaban
11-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Rush
11-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Victor Murillo, that's my response, the dude drowned in the bay out side of telephone booth stadium, he got none of the attention, there aren't any players donating money to his family, he is just dead.

Why are Holocaust and 911 and pearl harbor jokes bad? Are you saying that no one has written a good joke about these things? Or no one should be allowed to? Why? If George Carlin can make rape jokes, anyone should be allowed to do anything. Also, me and my father don't have the best relationship, so if someone was making fun of him being dead i probably wouldn't care. My mom feels the same way about her father.

Also, the jokes couldn't be that inappropriate, because i made a Victor Murrillo joke and it's still up there. So i guess this stuff isn't that bad. Selective censorship is confusing.

You're comparing Victor Murillo to Brian Stow? That's ****ing stupid and not even the same situation. Murillo was drunk and fell off the pier. His own fault. It's unfortunate, but not even close to each other. Stow was almost beaten to death and will never be the same person again because of those stupid *** people. Get a clue.

Go ahead, keep trying to justify yourself that it's ok to make a joke right now about Brian Stow. :facepalm: Just stop.

P.S. The thing about your dad was just an example to tie yourself to a loved one, your dad or whoever else, to see how you would feel if someone made a joke about that loved who died just recently. Would you be ok with it?

ciaban
11-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Mormon isn't a race, it's a religion.
I understand that members of the church of jesus christ of latter day saints are in a religion however, the fact that they voted almost unilaterally for the member of their church is equivalent to African Americans voting unilaterally for the black candidate. There is nothing wrong with that and people can vote for who ever they want.

This.

I am more concerned with our postseason rivals: Cardinals, Phillies (come back!) now hopefully the Tigers, etc.
really your not the least bit concerned with the diamondbacks?

You're comparing Victor Murillo to Brian Stow? That's ****ing stupid and not even the same situation. Murillo was drunk and fell off the pier. His own fault. It's unfortunate, but not even close to each other. Stow was almost beaten to death and will never be the same person again because of those stupid *** people. Get a clue.

Go ahead, keep trying to justify yourself that it's ok to make a joke right now about Brian Stow. :facepalm: Just stop.

P.S. The thing about your dad was just an example to tie yourself to a loved one, your dad or whoever else, to see how you would feel if someone made a joke about that loved who died just recently. Would you be ok with it?
They were both drunk the difference is that, Murrilo wasn't starting crap, he was just walking and fell, Stowe wandered off from his group was talking **** and got his *** kicked, the thing is we have no idea what happened, he could have been the instigator for all we know and the assailants could have taken things to far or stowe could have hit his head on something in the fight and caused the brain damage, we don't know. No one was there, and we probably will never really know what happened, but if people can make aids jokes or holocaust jokes i don't see why he is untouchable.

I am going to let you in on something, I have a identical twin brother, he has sever autism and aspergers syndrome, if you were to start making fun of him for his disability i would probably be annoyed, but what can i do?
I could cuss you out i guess, but that would be about it, I am not going to get worked up over something some anonymous person says, or give them a lecture on ethics, because there is nothing i could say that will really make a difference or diffuse the situation.

Rush
11-12-2012, 04:45 PM
They were both drunk the difference is that, Murrilo wasn't starting crap, he was just walking and fell, Stowe wandered off from his group was talking **** and got his *** kicked, the thing is we have no idea what happened, he could have been the instigator for all we know and the assailants could have taken things to far or stowe could have hit his head on something in the fight and caused the brain damage, we don't know. No one was there, and we probably will never really know what happened, but if people can make aids jokes or holocaust jokes i don't see why he is untouchable.

I am going to let you in on something, I have a identical twin brother, he has sever autism and aspergers syndrome, if you were to start making fun of him for his disability i would probably be annoyed, but what can i do?
I could cuss you out i guess, but that would be about it, I am not going to get worked up over something some anonymous person says, or give them a lecture on ethics, because there is nothing i could say that will really make a difference or diffuse the situation.

Once again, Murillo's and Stow's situation are not like each other.

Just forget the whole thing, you're not getting it. I don't want to continue this argument.

Scully in 2012
11-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Once again, Murillo's and Stow's situation are not like each other.

Just forget the whole thing, you're not getting it. I don't want to continue this argument.

Let me help you all out with this one. Anytime a person or persons get in a fight over a sports team they are a moron. There is never any excuse. Sticks & Stones....

Say what you want about the other team and if you visit your opponents ballpark expect to get verbally abused, it goes with the territory. Throwing objects or fighting over the team/game itself is ridiculous.

Does not matter who said what first.....sticks & stones.

This whole argument is ridiculous....

lol, please
11-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Oh? Ciaban derailing another thread whilst baiting Giants fans? Nothing new here.

Scully in 2012
11-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Oh yea, and SFrush90,

if you make another bad comment about the dodgers I am going to punch you in the mouth.:box::box::rolleyes:

Rush
11-12-2012, 04:57 PM
:censored: I'm sorry :(

Scully in 2012
11-12-2012, 04:58 PM
:censored: I'm sorry :(

:laugh2::laugh2:

BrianWestKins
11-12-2012, 05:03 PM
I punched a Red Sox fan once.

Felt good

Will 2 BE
11-12-2012, 05:12 PM

You have no idea then. I wore a Yankee hat to help my uncle move to the suburbs of Boston and A 70 something year old grandma walked right up to me a 6'3 man and cursed me out. Red Sox fans haaaaaaaate Yankee fans with a passion

ciaban
11-12-2012, 05:13 PM
You sure act as though you know exactly what went on. Stop turning this in to some stupid personal crusade for free speech, when we all know you're just upset that someone dared to remove your senseless (and clearly not humorous) post. You've been on PSD long enough to know that you can't just say whatever you want around here. Perhaps you should try having this conversation at one of your local bars and see how much further you get with it.

You are really coming off as clueless here. The Bryan Stow and Victor Mujillo situations have almost nothing to do with each other.

You're trying to play martyr because people don't appreciate that you are making fun of someone who was brutally beaten to the point of basically being a barely mobile vegetable. No one here finds your version of edginess as humorous or appropriate, so please stop trying to compare your ill-conceived remarks as somehow being analogous to the work of a well respected speaker like George Carlin (RIP).

Wake up.

while i think it's a little weird that you made two separate post in response to one post of mine, w/e it's not big deal.

I have never stated that i know exactly what went on, i thought that was clear when i said that we will never know what really happened.

Also, i guess i disagree with censorship, the way i see it is that no one has to read or listen to a word i say, and i never would make anyone, though i don't see why i or anyone else should censored, I wasn't using any vulgarity, i just referenced a tragic event and put it in juxtaposition with a joke, that's about it. Then i did it again with a dodger fan who died, but wasn't censored which i find weird,

i never compared myself to Carlin or Tosh, just referencing their work to point out that dark and mean stuff can be funny, and that i don't see why Brian Stowe should be off limits, if other people can make jokes about much more tragic things than some drunk guy getting beaten to death.

PS. the way you worded "Mobile Vegetable" is pretty funny, however isn't that dark or mean? Maybe that post should be censored

ciaban
11-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Let me help you all out with this one. Anytime a person or persons get in a fight over a sports team they are a moron. There is never any excuse. Sticks & Stones....

Say what you want about the other team and if you visit your opponents ballpark expect to get verbally abused, it goes with the territory. Throwing objects or fighting over the team/game itself is ridiculous.

Does not matter who said what first.....sticks & stones.

This whole argument is ridiculous....

Oh yea, and SFrush90,

if you make another bad comment about the dodgers I am going to punch you in the mouth.:box::box::rolleyes:

i loved these posts in juxtaposition of one another.

ciaban
11-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Oh? Ciaban derailing another thread whilst baiting Giants fans? Nothing new here.

first of all i don't bait anyone.
secondly, why only stop with Giants fans, why not include everyone?

rkelly7
11-12-2012, 05:46 PM
So.... this thread has taught me:

1. If your a Dodger fan, you say the SF-LAD Rivalry is better

2. If your a Giants fan, see #1

3. If you are a Yankees fan, the Red Sox-Yanks rivalry is better

4. If you are a Red Sox fan, see #3.

Right now, I think its the West Coast rivalry, mostly in part because the Red Sox and Yankees have slowed donw their spending. One of the reasons the NYY/BOS rivalry was so heated was because it lasted 365 days a year through the offseason. In years past, it was are the Red Sox/Yankees going to get Sabathia/Texeria/Matt Holiday/etc etc etc.

Now, NY and BOS want to get their payrolls under the luxury tax threshold (178 mill) and this has led to less competition in the offseason. They are both smarter for it, but it is becoming tough for these teams to keep their rivalries going.

If you don't spend the way they have in the past, there are going to be years where the on field results are less than desirable. You have good years and you have bad years, and the Sox/Yanks are going to find that out if they decide to be smart with their money.

Plus, BOS had an awful year and are in a mini rebuild.

Scully in 2012
11-12-2012, 05:50 PM
I punched a Red Sox fan once.

Felt good

Was his Dad pissed?

todu82
11-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Dodgers/Giants. The Red Sox/Yankees rivalry has lost a lot of its magic the past few years.

Tragedy
11-12-2012, 11:14 PM
You have no idea then. I wore a Yankee hat to help my uncle move to the suburbs of Boston and A 70 something year old grandma walked right up to me a 6'3 man and cursed me out. Red Sox fans haaaaaaaate Yankee fans with a passion
I've lived my entire life in Boston and I've barely seen times in which Red Sox fans escalated a problem with Yankee fans to the point of it not being good natured fun. Obviously it happens, but I see people constantly wearing Yankees gear in Boston proudly. Most Boston fans rib them.

But no question, there are plenty of people that have an issue with it and start fights. But that's not even close to the norm.

Pinstripe pride
11-13-2012, 09:46 AM
astros vs mediocrity

ahoda
11-13-2012, 10:30 AM
ESPN says it's Yanks/Red Sox so it must be true. You can also see this since they broadcast almost all of their games.

Scully in 2012
11-13-2012, 10:38 AM
ESPN says it's Yanks/Red Sox so it must be true. You can also see this since they broadcast almost all of their games.

I read it on the Internet too...it has to be true:rolleyes:

ciaban
11-13-2012, 11:05 AM

They really do broadcast all of their games but with dodgers vs giants we're lucky to get one out of three.

otatop
11-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Dodgers/Giants. The Red Sox/Yankees rivalry has lost a lot of its magic the past few years.
That tends to happen when one of the rival teams starts to suck a lot. Hard to get worked up about a rivalry when either A) Your team is going to easily ruin your rival or B) Your rival is going to easily ruin your team.

astros vs mediocrity
:laugh:

Pinstripe pride
11-13-2012, 12:20 PM

i alkways find it hilarious people ***** at ESPN for that. if you don;'t like ti, dont watch it. watching it is why they keep putting it on TV

Tragedy
11-13-2012, 02:47 PM

i alkways find it hilarious people ***** at ESPN for that. if you don;'t like ti, dont watch it. watching it is why they keep putting it on TV
Exactly. There is a reason as to why ESPN does a lot of the same stuff. It sells. Jets suck but they talk about them often. Why? Huge market and it brings ratings.

Twins Fanatic
11-13-2012, 03:04 PM
How is this even a question? Really?

giantspwn
11-13-2012, 04:22 PM

Most people don't but when it's the only place to watch it, your options are kind of limited.

Exactly. There is a reason as to why ESPN does a lot of the same stuff. It sells. Jets suck but they talk about them often. Why? Huge market and it brings ratings.

Or maybe because there's a time difference and most people are asleep for West Coast games? Also, last I checked there's some big market's on the west coast. In fact LA's the biggest.

Hypocritical to say both of you wouldn't have some reservations of a biased opinion if a team you didn't follow was forced down your throat.

Pinstripe pride
11-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Most people don't but when it's the only place to watch it, your options are kind of limited.

Or maybe because there's a time difference and most people are asleep for West Coast games? Also, last I checked there's some big market's on the west coast. In fact LA's the biggest.

Hypocritical to say both of you wouldn't have some reservations of a biased opinion if a team you didn't follow was forced down your throat.

100% false. yankees red sox games are normally some of the highest rated games out there. people are certianl;y ewatching, if most people didnt watch, the games would not get the ratings that keep them on. in reality people just bithc at the problem, while at the same time contribute to its cause

EwanSellars
11-13-2012, 06:17 PM
red sox yankees is great when theyre both competitive going to fenway in a sox yanks game is so great but also what about the cards astros a couple years ago like 2003-07 i think im not really sure but the cards always knocked the astros out until 05 when the astros beat them

Jeffy25
11-13-2012, 07:02 PM
because black people don't run the media and don't have any control over the content, however, when looking at what gets played in the news cycles, a little white girl getting kidnapped will always get billing over a little black girl getting kid napped, and i don't think people are racist for voting a certain way. Are all Mormons racist for voting for Romney?

That's like arguing that the news isn't liberal because the media is ran by liberal journalists.

And to your question, A does not equal B. Which is why I responded to odominator.

Stowe's beating getting publicity is because it was based on fan over-reaction. Had nothing to do with him being white, and if he had been black, there still would have been the same public out-cry. A man was basically murdered (not quite) or rather beaten to near death for being a fan. Maybe he was being obnoxious, maybe he deserved to have his *** whooped in perspective. But regardless of what anyone says, you never deserve to have your life ruined forever for the things you say.

The joke you made earlier was clearly crossing the line, very unacceptable, and it looks like it's trolling. You can make those jokes if you want, privately, with your friends or at home. But this is a public forum, where racism, gay intolerance, and otherwise, hurtful and hateful jokes against a race, religious group, etc are not acceptable. Making the joke you made was clearly crossing the line, and was completely out of nowhere and not acceptable. Don't do it here again. Jokes in bad taste are not accepted on PSD.

And this entire discussion about race is not only off-topic, but shouldn't even be discussed any further in a baseball thread, if you guys can't talk about the topic at hand, I'll close the thread. Stowe's beating is unacceptable regardless of his background, skin, religious beliefs or whatever. And making any kinds of jokes in that regard will now be deemed offensive and action will be taken upon them. Discuss it if you like, like adults. Consider this a formal warning to anyone who wants to make a Stowe joke in the future.

lol, please
11-13-2012, 07:54 PM
astros vs mediocrity

This made me laugh. Good one Pinny.

Pinstripe pride
11-14-2012, 09:53 AM
This made me laugh. Good one Pinny.

not as good as my old one for the NFL sbiggest rivalry: al davis vs sanity

Scully in 2012
11-15-2012, 12:45 AM

That's like arguing that the news isn't liberal because the media is ran by liberal journalists.

And to your question, A does not equal B. Which is why I responded to odominator.

Stowe's beating getting publicity is because it was based on fan over-reaction. Had nothing to do with him being white, and if he had been black, there still would have been the same public out-cry. A man was basically murdered (not quite) or rather beaten to near death for being a fan. Maybe he was being obnoxious, maybe he deserved to have his *** whooped in perspective. But regardless of what anyone says, you never deserve to have your life ruined forever for the things you say.

The joke you made earlier was clearly crossing the line, very unacceptable, and it looks like it's trolling. You can make those jokes if you want, privately, with your friends or at home. But this is a public forum, where racism, gay intolerance, and otherwise, hurtful and hateful jokes against a race, religious group, etc are not acceptable. Making the joke you made was clearly crossing the line, and was completely out of nowhere and not acceptable. Don't do it here again. Jokes in bad taste are not accepted on PSD.

And this entire discussion about race is not only off-topic, but shouldn't even be discussed any further in a baseball thread, if you guys can't talk about the topic at hand, I'll close the thread. Stowe's beating is unacceptable regardless of his background, skin, religious beliefs or whatever. And making any kinds of jokes in that regard will now be deemed offensive and action will be taken upon them. Discuss it if you like, like adults. Consider this a formal warning to anyone who wants to make a Stowe joke in the future.

Well said, Jeffy.

As to your murder comment - they two scumbags were charged with Mayhem which carries a max of life in prison, like murder. That easily explains the severity if their heinous actions.
I'm not sure of an appropriate venue to make jokes about this topic or make jokes about race, religious beliefs or sexual orientation but I do know this is NOT it.

Sports....(Pro SPORTS Daily) keep it that way.

dodgerdave
11-15-2012, 12:54 AM

And nobody really gave a hoot about Yankees/Red Sox games before 1995.

The SF Giant
11-15-2012, 04:50 AM
The Astros wish they could be mediocre.

Pinstripe pride
11-15-2012, 09:23 AM
The Astros wish they could be mediocre.

hence my point of it being a rivalry for them

BKLYNpigeon
11-15-2012, 10:04 AM
The Dodgers and Giants Rivalry started in April 18, 1883.

The Yankees and Red Sox Rivalry started in April 26, 1901.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodgers%E2%80%93Giants_rivalry

7chuck7
11-15-2012, 10:41 AM

It has to be Dodgers/Giants. The red sox have not even been in the playoffs for years now and have turned into one of the worst teams/organizations in baseball. The rivalry with the always in contention Yankees will be on hold for who knows how long. Too bad. It is barely even fun when we beat them now.
Hope they get better.

DodgerBlue24
11-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Like someone said already the Dodgers and Giants fans really do hate each other... I live in Central CA, Which is covered in Orange and as you can tell I wear the Blue proudly... No NY/BOS game has ever had a hitter charge the mound and take out the catcher with a bat like Marichal did... Dodger/Giants carried over from NY when both teams moved West... Just nobody really outside of the west coast sees is because all sports channels focus on nothing but the AL East... 30 min shows you have 24 mins of Yankee/Red Sox highlights and fit 28 other teams into 6 mins...

The Giants won the world series but MLB TV, Sports Center and everything else wanted to talk about Bobby V being fired...

Dodgers/Giants hands down... THE BEST in all of sports

benzni
11-15-2012, 02:27 PM
its gotta be Marlins Rays

Pinstripe pride
11-15-2012, 02:55 PM
its gotta be Marlins Rays

the bloody battle for the lowest payroll!

leftymo
11-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Someone brought this up during the year...

but if you combine the number of HOF'ers for the Red Sox and Yankees... they are completely dominated by the number of HOF'ers for the Dodgers/Giants.

It's not even remotely close. Dodgers/Giants. But the media machines in the east don't pay attention to the west, nevermind that CA is the #1 state in the country both in terms of productivity and population.

lol, please
11-16-2012, 04:40 PM
It has to be Dodgers/Giants. The red sox have not even been in the playoffs for years now and have turned into one of the worst teams/organizations in baseball. The rivalry with the always in contention Yankees will be on hold for who knows how long. Too bad. It is barely even fun when we beat them now.
Hope they get better.

Someone brought this up during the year...

but if you combine the number of HOF'ers for the Red Sox and Yankees... they are completely dominated by the number of HOF'ers for the Dodgers/Giants.

It's not even remotely close. Dodgers/Giants. But the media machines in the east don't pay attention to the west, nevermind that CA is the #1 state in the country both in terms of productivity and population.

LongIslandIcedZ
11-16-2012, 04:54 PM
What does amount of Hall of Famers have to do with a Rivalry between two teams? I dont think there is a more hated rivalry in baseball then the Yanks/Sox, especially when the Sox were competitive.

lol, please
11-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Hopefully they become competitive again.

LongIslandIcedZ
11-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Hopefully they become competitive again.

Agreed, baseball is much more exciting for me personally when Boston is very good.

I cant speak for California teams as I've never been there, but I just cant imagine it better than the Yanks/Sox

Could be wrong though.

EwanSellars
11-16-2012, 06:06 PM
this is gonna seem arrogant but i feel like the red sox yankees rivalry attracts a ton of people to baseball i mean look at the world series had the lowest ratings ever i think im not exactly sure why but it could be a posibility people would rather see the red sox and yanks battle it out for the american leagues championship more than most other sporting events. i would say La sf right now but in 2-3 years itll be back to red sox and yanks in the playoffs and both being very competitive.

dtmagnet
11-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Agreed, baseball is much more exciting for me personally when Boston is very good.

I cant speak for California teams as I've never been there, but I just cant imagine it better than the Yanks/Sox

Could be wrong though.

Hopefully Blue Jays Yankees can become the new rivalry.

BadnewzNiners
11-16-2012, 10:14 PM
100% false. yankees red sox games are normally some of the highest rated games out there. people are certianl;y ewatching, if most people didnt watch, the games would not get the ratings that keep them on. in reality people just bithc at the problem, while at the same time contribute to its cause

You think maybe the reason why they're the highest rated games is because espn pushes those games like none other? not to mention every bar in the country has they're T.V.'s tuned to ESPN, Just because the game is on it doesn't mean the people are watching.

lol, please
11-16-2012, 11:49 PM
Hopefully Blue Jays Yankees can become the new rivalry.
This.

You think maybe the reason why they're the highest rated games is because espn pushes those games like none other? not to mention every bar in the country has they're T.V.'s tuned to ESPN, Just because the game is on it doesn't mean the people are watching.

East Coast people don't understand the concept of Esat Coast bias.

giantspwn
11-17-2012, 12:38 AM
What does amount of Hall of Famers have to do with a Rivalry between two teams? I dont think there is a more hated rivalry in baseball then the Yanks/Sox, especially when the Sox were competitive.

There's no measurement of hate between heated rivalries. Any random person can claim they hate their rival more. There's only history.

As Lefty alluded earlier, to more HOF's, that just proves a point of a more competitive history between the teams. Both organizations are ranked #1 and #3 in organizational wins all time. Both are separated by only one World Series(7-6). They've played over 2300 games against each other, the Giants barely lead 1190-1166. You realize how close that is in over a century given span?

Your also, not going to find a rivalry with as many back and forth spoilers. Both teams denying the other of pennant chases countless times. Coaches, players denying trades to play or coach the other's teams. Players hitting other players with bats. They've been cross town/cross state rivals since 1880.

Definition of Rivalry:Competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field.

Your not going to find a closer rivalry than these two teams.

Pinstripe pride
11-19-2012, 09:36 AM

no. they are the highest rated games because people watch them./ ESPN can push the game all they want, its still up to the viewer to actually tune in or not. yankees sox get tremendous ratings because people watch it, simple as that

Pinstripe pride
11-19-2012, 09:37 AM
This.

East Coast people don't understand the concept of Esat Coast bias.

sure i do. i also understand the concpet of TV rating, which are very high whenever the yankees and red sox are televised.

DodgerBlue24
11-19-2012, 03:56 PM
no. they are the highest rated games because people watch them./ ESPN can push the game all they want, its still up to the viewer to actually tune in or not. yankees sox get tremendous ratings because people watch it, simple as that

I beg to differ... This is not true at all... But in fact that the Yankees/redsox game gets so much attention is because of the time zones... A 7pm game is shown at 4 on the west coast while all of America is still awake... But a dodger/giant game is shown at 7pm west cost time while half of the east cost is asleep at 10pm there time... Has nothing to do everyone wanting to watch it or not... We don't have a choice because espn is biased towards the Yankees and Red Sox

Pinstripe pride
11-19-2012, 04:00 PM
I beg to differ... This is not true at all... But in fact that the Yankees/redsox game gets so much attention is because of the time zones... A 7pm game is shown at 4 on the west coast while all of America is still awake... But a dodger/giant game is shown at 7pm west cost time while half of the east cost is asleep at 10pm there time... Has nothing to do everyone wanting to watch it or not... We don't have a choice because espn is biased towards the Yankees and Red Sox

so? how does that change anything i said. i never gave a reaosn why, just that when the yankees and red sox are on, the ratings are high. people watch it, so they put it on. if people stopped watching those games, they wouldnt be on as much. the reaosning behidn why doens't matter to them, only the ratings themsevles

Jeffy25
11-19-2012, 04:02 PM

I don't see how what pinstripe said is 'not true at all'

They have the highest ratings because people actually watch them. They are constantly thrown on ESPN because it's what people want to see around the country.

The Yankees have by far, the most fans in baseball. The Red Sox have the second most fans.

The Dodgers and Giants have between the 4th and 6th most fans in baseball (Cubs are 3rd).

You have the two most popular teams in the sport consistently playing each other 18 times a season, people are going to watch it.

The Yankees and Red Sox are the greatest rivalry in baseball, Giants and Dodgers are behind them, and then the Cubs and Cardinals are behind that (at least in terms of popularity and money).

It isn't because of the time zones. People make the effort to watch their two favorite teams on national television because they are playing their bitter rivals.

ESPN furthers this rivalry by glorifying it, but it is easily the most popular.

giantspwn
11-19-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't see how what pinstripe said is 'not true at all'

They have the highest ratings because people actually watch them. They are constantly thrown on ESPN because it's what people want to see around the country.

The Yankees have by far, the most fans in baseball. The Red Sox have the second most fans.

The Dodgers and Giants have between the 4th and 6th most fans in baseball (Cubs are 3rd).

You have the two most popular teams in the sport consistently playing each other 18 times a season, people are going to watch it.

The Yankees and Red Sox are the greatest rivalry in baseball, Giants and Dodgers are behind them, and then the Cubs and Cardinals are behind that (at least in terms of popularity and money).

It isn't because of the time zones. People make the effort to watch their two favorite teams on national television because they are playing their bitter rivals.

ESPN furthers this rivalry by glorifying it, but it is easily the most popular.

Jeffy, I usually agree with a lot of your posts but I'm sorry, your full of **** on this one.

Where's your evidence that the rivalry is the greatest? Is it a great rivalry if the other one beats on them for the better part of a century? Giants-Dodger history puts almost any sports franchise rivalry to shame.

Also, how can you say the time zones make no difference? Are you saying all people on the East Coast would gladly stay up till 1-2 in the morning to watch a baseball game? LOL Of course, the east coast ratings will always be higher!

TV ratings is a sad example to prove a rivalry's better.

Once again lets go over the definition of "rivalry".

Rivalry- Competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field.

I don't see where it says, better rivalry is equivalent to ESPN's TV ratings.

Jeffy25
11-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Jeffy, I usually agree with a lot of your posts but I'm sorry, your full of **** on this one.

Where's your evidence that the rivalry is the greatest? Is it a great rivalry if the other one beats on them for the better part of a century? Giants-Dodger history puts almost any sports franchise rivalry to shame.

Considering that the Yankees and Red Sox are not only the two most popular teams in the country, but economically, their games make by far the most money.

And the Red Sox did win two championships last decade, and yes, the Yankees owned the Red Sox for the better part of a century, and the Red Sox winning last decade helps bring them closer to together. Their rivalry is easily the most popular one in baseball.

Also, how can you say the time zones make no difference? Are you saying all people on the East Coast would gladly stay up till 1-2 in the morning to watch a baseball game? LOL Of course, the east coast ratings will always be higher!
Sure, but that's not WHY the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is the greatest in baseball.

TV ratings is a sad example to prove a rivalry's better.
Why? How else do you want to measure the popularity of a rivalry?

Once again lets go over the definition of "rivalry".

Rivalry- Competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field.

I don't see where it says, better rivalry is equivalent to ESPN's TV ratings.

If you ask anyone that isn't a Giants or Dodgers fan, they will automatically say, without hesitation, that the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry is the strongest in baseball. Even with the Red Sox not being so great right now, it's a very strong rivalry.

When was the last time a Dodgers/Giants game wasn't sold out?

October 2, 2012, under 35k fans.

Even with the Red Sox not winning 70 games this year, they haven't had under 35k fans at a Red Sox/Yankees game since Sept 2, 2001

I don't know how else you want to measure this, but people care more about Red Sox/Yankees games than they do about Dodgers/Giants games nationally.

The two most popular teams in baseball routinely play each other, it's going to be most watched games in the sport.

Greedy22
11-19-2012, 06:00 PM
When the NY/BOS fans can carry on a thread for 23 pages arguing like SF/LA fans let me know :laugh2:

In all seriousness, I think the SF/LA rivalry is better because they are so close in titles, pennants, battled in NY and moved to CA together, but when it comes to popularity, economics, fans the NY/BOS rivalry takes the cake. It's easier to appeal to a national audience showing the NY Yankees and Boston Red sox because everyone knows who they are.

Greedy22
11-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Considering that the Yankees and Red Sox are not only the two most popular teams in the country, but economically, their games make by far the most money.

And the Red Sox did win two championships last decade, and yes, the Yankees owned the Red Sox for the better part of a century, and the Red Sox winning last decade helps bring them closer to together. Their rivalry is easily the most popular one in baseball.

Sure, but that's not WHY the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is the greatest in baseball.

If you ask anyone that isn't a Giants or Dodgers fan, they will automatically say, without hesitation, that the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry is the strongest in baseball. Even with the Red Sox not being so great right now, it's a very strong rivalry.

Even with the Red Sox not winning 70 games this year, they haven't had under 35k fans at a Red Sox/Yankees game since Sept 2, 2001

I don't know how else you want to measure this, but people care more about Red Sox/Yankees games than they do about Dodgers/Giants games nationally.

The two most popular teams in baseball routinely play each other, it's going to be most watched games in the sport.

Ahh didn't see your post :p

Vampirate
11-19-2012, 06:14 PM
In terms of the onfield product there is no rivalry with Bos/NYY.

That has probably been replaced, at least for this year NYY/Tor

The Biggest most known baseball team in the United States Vs The biggest most known baseball team in Canada. :D

Of course with the fans it'll be NYY/Bos.

giantspwn
11-19-2012, 08:13 PM

It's to bad your completely missing the point. :pity:

Your changing the point of this thread to popularity which has nothing to do with a better rivalry.

For the third time lets looks at the definition of Rivalry. LOL

Rivalry: Competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field.

If you know anything of the history between SF-LA starting in 1880 in New York, maybe you'd feel otherwise. There's no better balance between a back and forth rivalry nor team with the longevity than these two teams have.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree with what Rivalry means.

lol, please
11-20-2012, 02:52 AM

Your changing the point of this thread to popularity which has nothing to do with a better rivalry.

Rivalry: Competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field.

If you know anything of the history between SF-LA starting in 1880 in New York, maybe you'd feel otherwise. There's no better balance between a back and forth rivalry nor team with the longevity than these two teams have.

Greedy22
11-20-2012, 04:42 AM

Actually, this is an opinion thread if you look back at the OP. Neither of you are wrong here. :cheers:

Pinstripe pride
11-20-2012, 09:39 AM
In terms of the onfield product there is no rivalry with Bos/NYY.

That has probably been replaced, at least for this year NYY/Tor

The Biggest most known baseball team in the United States Vs The biggest most known baseball team in Canada. :D

Of course with the fans it'll be NYY/Bos.

it has interantional incident written all over it!

ciaban
11-22-2012, 12:51 PM

you mean the last day of the season, when the dodgers were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, that day? Yeah, that's not very surprising.

Wait are you arguing for the popularity of a rivalry or the best rivalry, because the arguments your making sound like popularity is the only criteria, because if that's the case, the cards/cubs isn't really a rivalry as much as 18 games that get played, and that's it. No different from the Astro or Pirates games last year. Which i am totally fine with.

How about measuring it in terms of intensity and closeness or the records.

ciaban
11-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Actually, this is an opinion thread if you look back at the OP. Neither of you are wrong here. :cheers:

this is what it says. Better not more popular.

lol, please
11-22-2012, 01:03 PM
If better, then SF/LA right now. More competitive, more history, and bigger names. The Dodgers falling on their face and the Red Sox becoming contenders again would most likely change that. And I wouldn't mind. Lord knows I don't want the Dodgers to be competitive.

Blue french
11-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Duck the Fodgers.
Well I think there are not many comments to add. I hope the Yankees/ Red Sox will stay a rivalry while in this forum, the Dodgers /Giants rivalry will be a contest of insult... at least in this forum only. Now I use the Phil Jackson Mr zen attitude, when I am insulted, I insult more. Sun Tse " the Art of war", use your opponennent weapons against him.

Otherwise I met in 25 years around 100 Giants fans for real, and they all were baseball lovers, of course laughing at me when the Dodgers were loosing and I was laughing at them when we were winning. And we drunk beers together.

Now the Giants are the reference, the team to beat. They became the Champions with a team without the highest payroll at all, and far less talented on paper than the Tigers. But team wins versus paper.

But I hope Yankees/ Red Sox keep the rivalry the American way, the baseball way. When you imagine a Giant fan was cowardly attacked in the car park after a game by a group of so called Dodgers fans. An insult for all real Dodger fans. If you have a problem with someone, you deal with it one on one !

No, Dodgers/Giants rivalry is becoming like the European soccer rivalry I hate so much... Death are coming soon like in Europe.

2 years ago after a soccer game in Paris, a fan was going to be killed, only because a was a Jew. He is still alive thanks to one of the most courageous policeman in the world, with one gun versus one hundred people protected him and risking his own life.

I am very, very afraid it could and will happen in your great country too, especially when fans are so proud to use as a signature "F.. the Dodgers". I don't say that person is a violent man, but it's not a way to write in a forum, at least not an adult, mature way.

And it starts like that, and ends with 2 500 policemen for each Dodgers/Giants games, like each football game Paris vs Marseille in France

Bo Sox Fan
11-22-2012, 03:17 PM
I really don't believe there is another rivalry in sports that touches the Yankees and Red Sox. The closest thing would be the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs of hockey.

'America' get's giddy when the Cowboys/Eagles or Dodgers/Giants take the field, or Celtics/Knicks take the floor, but...

'The World' takes notice when the New York Yankees take on the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park or Yankees Stadium. No one touches this rivalry in any sport, it is GOLD.

keymax
11-22-2012, 03:26 PM
IMO there can't be a great rivalry if your playing the other team 18 times a year. It gets watered down.

Boston / NYY isn't what it used to be. The Bucky Dent game, the 2003/04 ALCS was great but other than that? Just two teams that take too long to play 9 innings of baseball.

Oh and if you're arguing that the world takes notice and best rivalry of all sports. Barcelona/Real Madrid is the biggest rivalry in sports and it isn't close compared to Boston/New York.

Rush
11-22-2012, 04:24 PM
The world? Ya right.

DodgerB24
11-22-2012, 04:36 PM
'The World' takes notice when the New York Yankees take on the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park or Yankees Stadium. No one touches this rivalry in any sport, it is GOLD.

I don't think any American rivalry, in any sport, can touch what soccer (also cricket in say India) means to other countries. You don't have cities against each other, you have entire countries picking a side.

Country vs country rivalries like Spain vs Italy, Germany vs England/Netherlands, France vs England ect blow ANYTHING the US has to offer out of the water, and that's not getting into the EPL/ euro leagues either.

Rush
11-22-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't think any American rivalry, in any sport, can touch what soccer (also cricket in say India) means to other countries. You don't have cities against each other, you have entire countries picking a side.

Country vs country rivalries like Spain vs Italy, Germany vs England/Netherlands, France vs England ect blow ANYTHING the US has to offer out of the water, and that's not getting into the EPL/ euro leagues either.

I was thinking the same thing.

Bo Sox Fan
11-22-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't watch soccer at all sorry. You'd think with a tiny ball and massive goal nets they'd find a way to score more than 3 times combined between 2 teams in an entire match. Instead I'd rather watch paint dry and wait for a drip to trickle down and touch the carpet. It's liable to happen more times than a goal in soccer and is just as exciting.

Rush
11-22-2012, 05:38 PM
Cool. The world still isn't watching the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry when it's on.

dodgerdave
11-22-2012, 05:57 PM
IMO there can't be a great rivalry if your playing the other team 18 times a year. It gets watered down.

Boston / NYY isn't what it used to be. The Bucky Dent game, the 2003/04 ALCS was great but other than that? Just two teams that take too long to play 9 innings of baseball.

Oh and if you're arguing that the world takes notice and best rivalry of all sports. Barcelona/Real Madrid is the biggest rivalry in sports and it isn't close compared to Boston/New York.

Yankees/Red Sox games were relatively irrelevant between 1979 and 1994.

Blue french
11-23-2012, 01:15 PM
I know a few things about soccer as I attended around 50 games, and saw 500 on TV. It can be very hot, especially country versus country and very violent. But like Ice Hockey, the violence stays often on the field.
But soccer kills too, or nearly. What happened to the poor Brian Stow, (I checked his internet site) happenned during the word cup in france in 1998. A policeman called Nivelle was nearly beaten to death by a group of neo nazis. See my pervious mail for another sadly famous incident.

This violence did not appear in one day. It starts by words and are never solved between men one to one, There are riots, burned cars, broken windows, then wounded people... and deaths And I am frigtened baseball is following the soccer exemple. Let's call it a rivalry, as long as we can do it. One day, rivalry will change into slaughters and we will have to find a new name for the Dodgers/Giants or Yankees/Red Sox "games"

StayOnBoard
11-23-2012, 01:37 PM

Well said

ciaban
11-23-2012, 02:23 PM
I know a few things about soccer as I attended around 50 games, and saw 500 on TV. It can be very hot, especially country versus country and very violent. But like Ice Hockey, the violence stays often on the field.
But soccer kills too, or nearly. What happened to the poor Brian Stow, (I checked his internet site) happenned during the word cup in france in 1998. A policeman called Nivelle was nearly beaten to death by a group of neo nazis. See my pervious mail for another sadly famous incident.

This violence did not appear in one day. It starts by words and are never solved between men one to one, There are riots, burned cars, broken windows, then wounded people... and deaths And I am frigtened baseball is following the soccer exemple. Let's call it a rivalry, as long as we can do it. One day, rivalry will change into slaughters and we will have to find a new name for the Dodgers/Giants or Yankees/Red Sox "games"
very well said french.
Btw, Bo Sox Fan was saying that world takes notice when the rexdsox and yankees play, does anyone in europe really give a crap about the redsox and yankees?

Blue french
11-23-2012, 03:09 PM
very well said french.
Btw, Bo Sox Fan was saying that world takes notice when the rexdsox and yankees play, does anyone in europe really give a crap about the redsox and yankees?
Nobody in Europe cares about the World Series at all and nobody can give a single baseball player name since 1876.
At least in France, and in England (I lived 2 years in London). It can be Yankees / Red Sox or Anchorrage/ Helena, same result, they watch footbal, sometimes basketball, tennis, and the Tour de France.
Many of my students wear a fantasy Yankee cap...without even knowing who the Yankees are !

redbird89
11-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Cubs vs Cards anyone?

Cardinals/Cubs is a historical rivalry, but friendly lately. It's a different kind of rivalry than the nastiness of the Dodgers/Giants and Yankees/Red Sox.

Lately the Cardinals/Reds rivalry gets more attention, since both teams are in contention every year and hate each other. The Dusty vs. Tony element and the fact that the Reds have so many former Cardinal players (and GM) just added fuel to the fire.

The vicious rivalries are not better, but they get more attention. The Cardinals/Cubs rivalry has the history and the dislike, but it's not heated lately. When the Cubs finish rebuilding if we are still in contention every year then expect the rivalry to heat up again.

I think the other teams in the division have some resentment toward the Cardinals for being good lately. That's only natural. The Cardinals have been in the postseason most of the last ten years and whichever team tried knock them off became the rival.
The late 1990s the Astros won quite a bit. The Cardinals won the division 2000-2002. In 2003 the Cardinals competed with the Cubs who won the division and got to the NLCS (La Russa's book Three Nights in August is about 2003 and his rivalry with Dusty). The Astros were in contention in 2003 also.
In 2004-2006 it was Cardinals vs. Astros (Houston won the Wild Card in 2004 and 2005 and faced the Cardinals in the NLCS both years, Cardinals winning in 2004 and Astros in 2005. 2006 both teams were not great, but the Astros nearly took the division from the Cardinals. The Cardinals won the World Series in 2006).
2007-2008 the Cubs had two good years, but not good playoffs. The Brewers were in the mix those years, winning the Wild Card in 2008. Both teams lost in the NLDS in 2008.
2009 the Cardinals won the division again, but lost the NLDS. Neither team came very close to catching the Cardinals.
2010 Cincy won the division, but lost in the NLDS.
2011 you had the Reds, Brewers, and Cardinals competing to win the division. Cincinnati ending up falling off the map and the Cardinals on the Wild Card, beat the Brewers in the NLCS, and won the World Series.
And last year the Reds won the division but didn't get any farther than the Cardinals. Of course, the Cardinals being in the postseason was controversial because of the second Wild Card.

The Cardinals main rival the last decade has changed over the years. The Brewers and Reds and Cubs and Brewers have rivalries as well, but most of the big rivalries in the NL Central the past 10 years have included the Cardinals. The only team left out is Pittsburgh.

The Cardinals Cubs rivalry is interesting and deep-seated, but not especially heated the last 5 years. It's more of a traditional rivalry. I kind of prefer it that way, but it gets less attention. The Cardinals rivalry with the Cubs and the Reds are made all the more complicated because the teams have shared players (like Theriot, Edmonds, Rolen, and GM Jocketty) and Dusty managed for both the Reds and Cubs.
The St. Louis/Chicago rivalry goes back a long way. The baseball teams have been playing each other since the 1880s. St. Louis and Chicago also competed for the World's Fair way back in 1904. Since then Chicago is a much bigger city so you really can't compare them, but you still have the hockey and baseball rivalries. I think St. Louisans get tired of their city being compared to Chicago just like Chicagoans get tired of their city being compared to New York. The Cardinals and Cubs (then called the Browns and White Sox) haven't faced each other in the postseason since the 1885 championship of the American Association. That year their "World Series" went 7 games and ended in a disputed tie.
St. Louis and Cincinnati are similar cities (smaller cities on a river), but don't have much of a rivalry outside of baseball.

One thing the Cardinals Cubs and Yankees Red Sox rivalries have that Giants and Dodgers don't is that the first two rivalries never moved. The Giants and Dodgers left their first fanbases behind and developed new hatred in two new fanbases. Also the Cardinals and Yankees have quite a few more championships than their rivals. The Giants and Dodgers might be more vicious because their fanbases are younger and neither team really has bragging rights.

MVPosey28
11-24-2012, 02:24 AM

I actually agree here.

ciaban
11-24-2012, 03:23 AM
Nobody in Europe cares about the World Series at all and nobody can give a single baseball player name since 1876.
At least in France, and in England (I lived 2 years in London). It can be Yankees / Red Sox or Anchorrage/ Helena, same result, they watch footbal, sometimes basketball, tennis, and the Tour de France.
Many of my students wear a fantasy Yankee cap...without even knowing who the Yankees are !

lol, that's what i thought, i went to san diego state university, which has the highest percentage of international students and second highest percentage of students proficient in a second language, i had two roommates from Europe one was from Copenhagen the other from Stockholm neither knew crap about baseball, though i did take them to a Padres game on beer night(good times) they both watched soccer and even taught me some stuff about the game, and they both watched hockey with me.
Btw why do you watch baseball? No one else does in Europe? Except maybe Holland.
(also what do you teach?)

Blue french
11-24-2012, 10:55 AM
lol, that's what i thought, i went to san diego state university, which has the highest percentage of international students and second highest percentage of students proficient in a second language, i had two roommates from Europe one was from Copenhagen the other from Stockholm neither knew crap about baseball, though i did take them to a Padres game on beer night(good times) they both watched soccer and even taught me some stuff about the game, and they both watched hockey with me.
Btw why do you watch baseball? No one else does in Europe? Except maybe Holland.
(also what do you teach?)
Hi Ciaban,
And you are still a Padres fan ? Must be tough. 5 years ago around they won the disvision and I wanted to post a congratulation message in their forum.... There was nobody !!!
I am bleeding Blue since the 29th of JUly 1985. My late father worked in the USA and the family joined himfor summer vaccations. One game, one 10-85 victory versus old Vida Blue and the Giants. It was magical. No stadium in France at the time had a giant screen for instance.
Their most feared hitter was Chili Davis at the time. Not that frightening compared with our Pedro Guerrero. Then not internet, no baseball on TV, I bought books, newspapers and videos and learned everything by myself.
Holland and Italy have the 2 best teams in Europe, but far, far, far after socccer.
I am teaching marketing and management to a high school. Then prepare them for the exam they must pass to enter university, schools, etc. And among 1,500 students, I have seen at least 25 Yankees Caps, all different, none the real one.

lol, please
11-24-2012, 12:00 PM
lol at Ciaban being a Padres fan. And how are the Dodgers and Giants fanbases younger, and without bragging rights?

hype707
11-27-2012, 01:56 AM
I hate the dodgers since I could remember. Wild never strap a bomb or throw files of blood/urine at them some soccer should be out of this topic

YoungStuna
11-27-2012, 02:20 AM
Mets and Marlins.... The battle for last place gets intense!

Pinstripe pride
11-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Mets and Marlins.... The battle for last place gets intense!

not anymore now that miami has one MLB caliber player

ciaban
11-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Hi Ciaban,
And you are still a Padres fan ? Must be tough. 5 years ago around they won the disvision and I wanted to post a congratulation message in their forum.... There was nobody !!!
I am bleeding Blue since the 29th of JUly 1985. My late father worked in the USA and the family joined him for summer vaccations. One game, one 10-85 victory versus old Vida Blue and the Giants. It was magical. No stadium in France at the time had a giant screen for instance.
Their most feared hitter was Chili Davis at the time. Not that frightening compared with our Pedro Guerrero. Then not internet, no baseball on TV, I bought books, newspapers and videos and learned everything by myself.
Holland and Italy have the 2 best teams in Europe, but far, far, far after socccer.
I am teaching marketing and management to a high school. Then prepare them for the exam they must pass to enter university, schools, etc. And among 1,500 students, I have seen at least 25 Yankees Caps, all different, none the real one.
Lol i am a dodger fan through and through i was born in LA but grew up in San Jose which is the largest most populated most important city in the SF bay area, i just went to San Diego state for school.

Yeah my last name is Krommenhoek, which is the name of a small fishing village in Zeeland. I root for Holland in all the tournaments, and despite being a dodger fan i love me some Bert Byleven.

Also, that's interesting i studied that Marketing at San Diego State University.

Ciabatta Fryer
i loved this.

not anymore now that miami has one MLB caliber player
hey they got logan morrison too, and yunel escobar, and rickey nolasco, all of whom will be traded by opening day.

BayArea91
11-29-2012, 02:47 AM
California, man. The East Coast is cool, but the Yay is the mecca, feel me?

Anyways, the Giants-Dodgers have been around much longer and they are much more in depth to one another and even. Like old friends who keep up like that.

Rush
11-29-2012, 03:48 AM
No, I do not feel you.

MickeyMgl
11-29-2012, 04:12 AM

Big spenders.

Greedy22
11-29-2012, 06:29 AM
No, I do not feel you.

Pinstripe pride
11-29-2012, 09:48 AM
hey they got logan morrison too, and yunel escobar, and rickey nolasco, all of whom will be traded by opening day.

true i gues si am jumping gun yet, since they ahvent offically be traded yet

BayArea91
11-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Do
YOU
Feel meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

No. Lets be grown ups.

Things are stale in the world these days, I figure to lighten things up when I can.