PDA

View Full Version : Had the Boston Celtics won the 2007 lottery, what would they have done?

JordansBulls
11-11-2012, 02:18 AM
Hijacked this thread but thought it was interesting.

I remember people at the time saying that Boston kind of tanked that year in order to try and win the lottery, so that they could go after either Durant or Oden, because both were considered can't miss superstars entering the league. I know they ended up with the #5 pick, which was considered a huge disappointment.

But they turned that pick into Ray Allen, which then convinced KG to come aboard, and we all know that it turned out great for Boston in the long run.

What would have happened if they won the lottery though? Would they have picked Oden or Durant? This is more of a question for people that remember the feeling about those two at the time better than I do.

And how would it have turned out for Boston if they went with Durant (since we know now that going for Oden was a big mistake)?

Ebbs
11-11-2012, 02:21 AM
Well at the time they would have taken Oden. They had Pierce already locked in. They made the right choice trading it

John Walls Era
11-11-2012, 02:34 AM
They should thank the basketball gods for that one. Oden had injury concerns even during the draft period. One of his legs were shorter than the other one.

DreamShaker
11-11-2012, 02:40 AM
They are glad they didnt. First championship in 20 years is better than another heartache any day. And scouts had a big ole sweaty woody for Oden. I am not sure any team besides Orlando, Houston, or LAL would have passed on him.

Quinnsanity
11-11-2012, 04:26 AM
My guess is that they would have gone the OKC route and traded Pierce like the Sonics did with Ray Allen for another lottery pick and some other assets. They tried to trade him to Portland for the #3 pick (presumably to pick Chris Paul) in 2005 but Pierce heard and squashed it. My guess? Pierce to Phoenix for Kurt Thomas' expiring contract, Atlanta's unprotected '08 pick (which at the time seemed like a sure top 5 pick) and Leandro Barbosa (only 24 at the time). Charlotte would have offered the No. 8 pick (which they traded for Jason Richardson), but the Celtics would have given Pierce the respect of trading him to a contender. The Celtics lose Pierce and rebuild around Oden (who inevitably gets hurt), Robin Lopez (the No. 15 pick Boston would have gotten from Phoenix) and... Kevin Love! How did I get there? Without Pierce and Oden (missed his rookie year) the Celtics would have had the worst record in the league. However, the bad karma from tanking would have screwed them in the lottery and gotten them the No. 4 pick, which was actually Russell Westbrook, but considering Rajon Rondo had potential at the time they passed. If Oden magically stays healthy in this universe they get three stars. Phoenix wins a few titles with Nash, Pierce, Marion and Amare. Everyone wins.

JasonJohnHorn
11-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Oden was going first overall that draft no matter who had the pick. Teams always want the next big man. Its why Portland drafted Bowie ahead of Jordan. Its why Houston took Hakeem over Jordan.

Boston and OKC are both luck things turned out the way they did. They have better rosters because of it.

Now just imagine if Portland had ended up with the number 2 pick? Roy, Durant and LMA? Come on....

Heediot
11-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Another legit question for Boston was the year in which they had the worst record and ended up drafting 3rd. If they had won the lotto that year, they would of drafted Duncan. They also had the 6th pick (Mercer).

If they had drafted Duncan how good would they have been? Would Pitino still be in the NBA instead of returning to College?

Quinnsanity
11-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Another legit question for Boston was the year in which they had the worst record and ended up drafting 3rd. If they had won the lotto that year, they would of drafted Duncan. They also had the 6th pick (Mercer).

If they had drafted Duncan how good would they have been? Would Pitino still be in the NBA instead of returning to College?

They would have been a dynasty if they got Duncan. Pitino is on record as saying he would have taken Tracy McGrady with the 6th pick if he would have gotten Duncan because he felt like he could afford to take the risk.

Burkey3472
11-11-2012, 03:50 PM
They would have built around Oden. They must be glad that didn't happen.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-11-2012, 04:00 PM
They would've picked Oden but they probably would've considered Durant more than the Blazers did.

PAOboston
11-11-2012, 04:01 PM
The Celtics ended up drafting Jeff Green and trading him to Seattle in the deal for Ray Allen. Grousbeck admitted Thursday that had the Celtics won the lottery and had the first overall pick, president of basketball operations Danny Ainge's intention was "absolutely" to draft Texas' Kevin Durant over Ohio State center Greg Oden, the latter of whom was the consensus No. 1 pick and ended up being drafted first overall by Portland.

"I'll tell you, Danny was picking Durant," Grousbeck said.

Asked if the team would have traded down a spot to take Durant, Grosubeck replied, "I don't know. It wasn't my pick. Danny does our drafting."

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21114751/wyc-ainge-wanted-durant-over-oden

i believe the c's were also fined for excessive contact with the durant family before the draft as well.