PDA

View Full Version : Nepotism in the NBA

JasonJohnHorn
11-10-2012, 06:15 PM
We've all had to deal with nepotism at some point in our lives. Sometimes the "boss's" kid actually knows what he or she is doing, sometime they aren an albotross on the company's neck. The NBA is no exception.

As a Raptors fan I've seen a franchise fall prey to this. Jerry Coangelo was a great GM. His son is not. Yet for some reason, he's gotten a job based on his name. The sad thing is, the Raptors don't even have a connection with Jerry Coangelo and therefore have no reason to hire his son.

We've seen neoptism work out for some (Brent Barry and Jon Barry were great role players in the NBA), and not work out in other isntances( the Knicks drafted Pat Ewing Jr. for purely sentimental purposes). Stephan Curry though it proving to be even better than his father while Doc Rivers son still has to show if his selection in this years draft was a good call or a mitake.

The worst instance for nepotism in the NBA seems to be the Lakers. I'm not a Lakers fan, or hater, just a fan of the game. I like their roster, but let us be honest. Jerry Buss did a great job setting up the Lakers. Jim Buss though, his son, seems to want to put his "stamp" on everything. Phil Jackson and the Laker's franchise player Kobe, both wanted Brian Shaw to take over the reigns, but Jim Buss brought in Mike Brown, then waited until five games into his second season to fire him. He's also brought in some questionable scouts (Chaz the bartender and I believe his son is also a scout for the Lakers).

It seems that nepotism in the NBA can work out well sometime, while failing utterly in other instances. I think the Lakers would be in a better situation right now if they had somebody other than Jim Buss running the team. Maybe I'm wrong, but Brown, though I will admit he wasn't the right man for hte job, is a scapegoat, the real problem is Jim Buss.

What are your thoughts on nepotism in the NBA?

Ebbs
11-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Colangelo could be worst I bashed him immensely for the Jonas pick and I'm eating crow there. Garbajosa would have been good if he hadn't had that brutal injury. DeRozan is coming together and has all the tools. Lowry trade was a good one.

Quinnsanity
11-10-2012, 06:25 PM
There's way too much money at play in the NBA for nepotism to have a true impact. Colangelo might be the one exception, but Austin Rivers doesn't picked in the lottery if he doesn't have lottery talent. As for the Buss family that's ownership and it almost always runs through family. You can't blame nepotism for that, Jerry Buss isn't going to just give away his multi-billion dollar asset to someone worthy, he's going to leave it in the family.

JasonJohnHorn
11-10-2012, 06:29 PM
There's way too much money at play in the NBA for nepotism to have a true impact. Colangelo might be the one exception, but Austin Rivers doesn't picked in the lottery if he doesn't have lottery talent. As for the Buss family that's ownership and it almost always runs through family. You can't blame nepotism for that, Jerry Buss isn't going to just give away his multi-billion dollar asset to someone worthy, he's going to leave it in the family.

I understand this. But he's still alive. He doesn't have to give his son the top job. His daughter seems more competent than him. And every other owner in the league has children, but most hire people who know basketball to run their teams. I don't think Pat Riley is the son of the Heat's owner. Jerry Buss may eventually turn his team over to his kids, but it doesn't mean he has to let them run the team. Jim Buss's ego is holding that franchise back.

IndyRealist
11-10-2012, 06:30 PM

That's untrue. People hire friends and family all the time in the NBA, who aren't necessarily the best candidate. Isn't there a Buss in the Laker scouting dept? Larry Bird hired Kevin Pritchard (who played with him in Boston), then when Bird retires Pritchard replaces him instead of Morway who had been there for the last 5 years.

Nepotism is a double edged sword. On one hand you probably know the person better than any other potential candidate. But your personal feelings could also cloud your judgement.

theheatles
11-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Jeanie has had more basketball IQ in her than Jim ever had...

Quinnsanity
11-10-2012, 07:06 PM
I understand this. But he's still alive. He doesn't have to give his son the top job. His daughter seems more competent than him. And every other owner in the league has children, but most hire people who know basketball to run their teams. I don't think Pat Riley is the son of the Heat's owner. Jerry Buss may eventually turn his team over to his kids, but it doesn't mean he has to let them run the team. Jim Buss's ego is holding that franchise back.

Just because Jerry is alive doesn't mean he wants to spend his late 70's and 80's in such a high stress environment. He probably wants to enjoy his past few years. I can't speak of the Jeanie/Jim debate because I don't know enough about it. As for Riley, he's an all time great NBA mind, any team would be lucky to have him. Dolan only owns the Knicks because his dad needed something to keep him away from the actual business (Cablevision). The Rooney family has been running the Steelers for years. George Steinbrenner handed the Yankees to his sons because he wanted to keep them in the family. That's just how ownership works.

theheatles
11-10-2012, 07:18 PM
There is definitely some nepotism in the promotion of Nick Arison to CEO and vice president of basketball operations, and although he did pay some dues working on various levels throughout the organization and was a team manager for Duke for 4 years he def put in work...

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2010/07/12/duke-grad-had-hand-in-putting-together-miamis-super-friends/

...and he was the key reason for Battier coming here last season as well

Hellcrooner
11-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Well sometimes it works for the better.
I mean Kiki Vandeweghe was much better than his dad.
Or Al Horford.

Sons of....dont last much if they dont have the talent.

Lakersfanla24
11-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Jeanie has had more basketball IQ in her than Jim ever had...

Thats cuz shes PJaxs woman giggity:D

bucketss
11-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Bryan Colangelo is a great GM.

Bravo95
11-11-2012, 04:33 AM
Michael Gearon Sr. seems like a good guy. His son, however, is a weenie.

torocan
11-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Businesses of any kind are rarely true "meritocracies".

Family, friendship, team chemistry and personal loyalty all count for something because owners, managers and players are fundamentally human beings.

It's not unusual to go with the person you TRUST vs the person you believe has the highest skillset, especially when large amounts of money are involved.

And in the case of family, it's not unusual to put family in charge even if you KNOW they have a lesser skillset because you want them to develop that skillset. They teach through having them DO the job.

So no, it doesn't always end up with the best possible people, but that's not always what the people running the show want or care about the most.

That's life. And in the end the only real judge if the decision is correct or not is history.