PDA

View Full Version : When It Comes To The Lakers....

StarvingKnick22
11-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Did they make a good decision? It seems to me like they overreact to almost any loss. They are a new team and they are just learning how to play with each other. I'm starting to think that Kobe really is running the team. 6 games into the season. Usually teams would go on at least 30 games. Mike Brown now is the second coach since 1972 to get fired this early. Im actually hoping they lose some more games like they did to see how they would react. Do you think they overreacted?

3ballbomber
11-10-2012, 09:19 AM
You must consider the age of Kobe & Nash. Both have a couple of yrs left in them. So the mentality is 'Win Now' & LA must do all they can to make this happen in around a 1-2 yr window.

Unfortunately w/ all the losses, though still early in the season, is not leading in the direction they are trying to achieve. It's not just the losses alone but how they are not improving w/ each loss. It has to be a major concern considering the talent & caliber that is in that starting 5.

Again, Bryant & Nash age imo plays a big part in this situation. Why take the time to try & make what seems like an incompatible offense to work as it doesn't seem to cater to the strengths of the players. They didn't sign Nash so he couldn't run what he is best at. They gotta find a way to play into their strengths & creating team chemistry at the same time. Mike Brown obviously couldn't figure that out & was wasting valuable time.

LordMalik
11-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Well didn't vote Because of mixed emotion, but yes the lakers did and seems like they forgot they still got to the playoffs wit mike brown while letting Kobe run the off.
I think no too, they didn't overreact because the lakers finally looked beyond mike browns record with cavs and not thinking that he let LBJ run the off.
Mike is a good D coach but that's it, me personally thinks he's really not head coach material. With this fire he might not have a head coaching for a while.

Lakers211221
11-10-2012, 09:32 AM
The firing wasn't based on just the 1-4 start. If the 1-4 start was isolated, he'd probably still be the coach, but going 0-8 in the preseason coupled with the disappointing 2011-12 season led to a realization that Mike Brown wasn't the right coach for the job.

Captain Moroni
11-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Time for a change

Anji
11-10-2012, 10:15 AM
If they bring back Phil then this was a great move in the end.

But how can you say they didn't overreact when they didn't even dot their I's and cross their T's by being able to name the new head coach right away.

Excited to see what Phil can do in the Triangle with Dwight and Nash.

Not so excited to see MDA trying to freeze out Kobe and turn Paul into a catch and shoot guy off of Nash and Dwight pick and rolls.

And does world Peace need a green light to take three's before the shot clock reaches 18 seconds??? *shutters*

kbtwofour
11-10-2012, 10:16 AM
It's funny to see on PSD and ****** say the Lakers overreacted when they have no clue what they're talking about. The Lakers put a championship caliber team together for this season and they were playing the worst basketball in the West. They had the worst record in the West and they had no improvement since the beginning of training camp.

Last night's game was a good example of what a different coach can do. Bernie ran a very simple, but effective offense of all pick and rolls, iso's, and high post plays with no Princeton sets.

He had to be fired because last year's team did not respect him and he was losing this year's team. The team was already tuning him out so the Lakers had to move fast.

kbtwofour
11-10-2012, 10:19 AM
If they bring back Phil then this was a great move in the end.

But how can you say they didn't overreact when they didn't even dot their I's and cross their T's by being able to name the new head coach right away.

You have to understand how the coaching fraternity works in basketball. An unemployed coach is not going to say he is interested in a job that another coach currently has. One of the reason's why I did not believe any of the Jerry Sloan rumors.

If the Lakers were to fire Mike Brown and hire a new coach 24 hours later it would make the Lakers look bad because everyone would say Mike Brown was a sitting duck waiting to take the blame.

Heediot
11-10-2012, 11:36 AM
They have over a dozen champion ships in the last 30 years. Why question that organization?

KnicksorBust
11-10-2012, 11:39 AM
The firing wasn't based on just the 1-4 start. If the 1-4 start was isolated, he'd probably still be the coach, but going 0-8 in the preseason coupled with the disappointing 2011-12 season led to a realization that Mike Brown wasn't the right coach for the job.

Exactly. From what I heard he had already lost the team. That's all that matters.

Chavacano
11-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Did they make a good decision? It seems to me like they overreact to almost any loss. They are a new team and they are just learning how to play with each other. I'm starting to think that Kobe really is running the team. 6 games into the season. Usually teams would go on at least 30 games. Mike Brown now is the second coach since 1972 to get fired this early. Im actually hoping they lose some more games like they did to see how they would react. Do you think they overreacted?

^^ That's some TMZ stuff you have there. llullz Kobe publicly supported Brown during his somewhat short tenure as a Laker coach.

If the basis was system (princeton offense) alone then Brown was sacked prematurely. You could also say that the offense should've been dumped instead of Brown but matter of fact is, if you watched not only this season but last season as well, he sucked at time management, rotations and in-game adjustments and didn't show any improvements at all. Do you really want someone like that to coach your team to a championship on a two-year window? I don't think so. As Magic said, "(I) don't think he was the right guy for the job in the first place."

Pluvious
11-10-2012, 01:49 PM
^^ That's some TMZ stuff you have there. llullz Kobe publicly supported Brown during his somewhat short tenure as a Laker coach.

If the basis was system (princeton offense) alone then Brown was sacked prematurely. You could also say that the offense should've been dumped instead of Brown but matter of fact is, if you watched not only this season but last season as well, he sucked at time management, rotations and in-game adjustments and didn't show any improvements at all. Do you really want someone like that to coach your team to a championship on a two-year window? I don't think so. As Magic said, "(I) don't think he was the right guy for the job in the first place."

Yeah its pretty said when the fans ALL agree regarding the issues with rotations and then the replacement coach (Bikerstaff) comes in and basically does what the fans have been saying (play Meeks, play Jamison at the 4, etc) the first game.

Brown was trying to FORCE his system/thoughts instead of really playing to the strengths of the players/team. Basically player management issues and losing the team's trust.

Meeks looked so happy like he was freed from a cage. He was catching and shooting without any hesitation...where before it seemed like he was worried about messing up. Same with Jamison and others. That kind of thing is huge...and based on what I could perceive where Brown was really lacking.

Gritz
11-10-2012, 02:18 PM
What a ******** thread. If you compared yesterdays game to the previous 5, the difference was phenomenal and the sad thing, Kobe said they played as if they would a pick up basketball game.

kobebabe
11-10-2012, 02:25 PM
No. The divorce was wayyyyyy over due ;)

KB24PG16
11-10-2012, 02:40 PM
you cant just look at the first 5 games of this season mike brown has been horrible since last year

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-10-2012, 02:43 PM
This is about Dwight Howard and keeping him happy and here in the P&G long-term. He had problem with SVG, and now Mike Clown was just horrendous, bringing back the starters when up 24 in the 4th against the lowly Pistons, and Dwight was like WTF?!

GREATNESS ONE
11-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Not over-reacting if you get the best coach of all-time to replace one of the worst coaches in the current NBA

raiderposting
11-10-2012, 02:54 PM
why would they do it 20 games later? do it now so by 20 games with a new coach you can be that much further in their system. **** if they were 3-1 and phil wanted to come back axe that potato head.

BKLYNpigeon
11-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Lakers are fine.

they could end up as the 4-6th seed in the West and it wouldnt surprise me if they won the championship.

NBAfan4life
11-10-2012, 03:00 PM
The bad decision was to hire Mike Brown in the first place. He would of been better suited to be the assistant coach in charge of defense.

Hunter48MVP
11-10-2012, 03:13 PM
The Lakers are all about winning Mike Brown wasn't doing that

JEDean89
11-10-2012, 03:52 PM
it's funny to me that the Lakers now need Phil Jackson Jerry Sloan to do anything. The rest of the league is like WTF? Howard, Pau, Peace, Bryant and Nash, and 3 half decent bench players and you guys can't win? Now that's not enough and you need Jackson? Honestly if the Lakers took Kobe Bryant and their GM to a small market, they would never win a chip. They need a 100 million dollar roster to make their fans happy and guess what, it's not enough, they now need the Greatest Coach of all time.

justinnum1
11-10-2012, 04:09 PM
it's funny to me that the Lakers now need Phil Jackson Jerry Sloan to do anything. The rest of the league is like WTF? Howard, Pau, Peace, Bryant and Nash, and 3 half decent bench players and you guys can't win? Now that's not enough and you need Jackson? Honestly if the Lakers took Kobe Bryant and their GM to a small market, they would never win a chip. They need a 100 million dollar roster to make their fans happy and guess what, it's not enough, they now need the Greatest Coach of all time.

lol...so true. Lakers are a mess, if that roster cant win a championship with PJ that says a lot.

JasonJohnHorn
11-10-2012, 04:25 PM
The Mike Brown hiring was bad. There was the root problem. Letting Denver push them to seven games was bad. Getting knocked out in the second round was bad. I would have understood if they had gotten rid of Brown in the offseason, but they chose to stick with him. If that was what they decided on, they should have given him a fair shake. This roster is not healthy and has not played together very much. Nash is out. Howard only played 1 or 2 pre-season games and still isn't at 100% and Kobe is playing on a bum foot.

They should have not even hired Brown to start with, and after last eyars performance, they should have moved on. By doing it this way, the Lakers have put themselves in a bad position. The inclination will be to bring Phil back, but this roster won't fit the triangle. Bringing in anybody else is going to lead to at least of month of learnign a new system. Since they decided to stick with Brown, they should have given him more time. But that said, he wasn't the right man for the job.

Nate McMillan is a great choice for the head coaching spot I think, as would be Brian Shaw.

But yeah, when you put together a roster like LAL has, expectations are high. You need to produce.

mngopher35
11-10-2012, 04:52 PM
It was just because they had Mike Brown enter the season as the coach, and then fired him right away. You cant blame the first games completely on him, and if the reason is last year then they could have changed things in the offseason. On the other hand they did what will give them the best chance to win this season (assuming they get pj). In the end that's what matters so they did what they needed to do.

MintBerryCrunch
11-10-2012, 07:01 PM

U mad bro

amos1er
11-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Safe to say that 28% of this poll are Heat fans. :D

Quinnsanity
11-10-2012, 07:08 PM
You have to give the Lakers credit for being proactive. We have several years of evidence to see that Brown isn't a good coach. They realized that and acted rather than wasting months of the season giving him a chance.

Avenged
11-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Did the Lakers make the right call? Or are the PSD trolls right? :rolleyes:

Yeah that's pretty easy for me. And to the people saying the Lakers are so stacked, what the hell happened to "they have no bench, they have an old nash, metta sucks, kobe is an inefficient chucker".. Make up your minds. Is this team good or not? It's not just when it benefits you.

kblo247
11-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Age, health, and contracts.

Nash and Kobe have game, more than most of the 20-30 year old young bucks still but the fact is they can choose to retire at their age over being embarrassed because Brown can't manage a team or over works them to the point they end up leaving against their will in a heap

Health problems should have happened as Brown was told don't play Kobe big minutes fresh off the foot sprain, admitted he did the opposite of what the doctors said to the media, and said he needed a win basically admitting the HOT seat he was on. He was told to ease Dwight back and then he chose to play him big minutes anyhow despite Dwight coming back almost two months early. The fact is he was playing with the health of their franchise players and investments which La wouldn't stand for.

Dwight's contract was coming to an end, and he wasn't signing on to stay with Mike Clown. I'm sorry but when a guy is that bad at managing minutes, game situations, and plays so many people out of position on top of over practicing them and then being lost with the answers he gives to explain himself, he just wasn't.

Brown just really screwed up and was in so far over his head it was sad. Say what you want about Artest being crazy, but he said it last year when he compared Phil to Mike, Mike lacked a feel for basketball at that level as he is a box score and video guy, and just doesn't get it like Jackson and several other guys do

ManRam
11-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Both. I think they acted too soon...but ultimately Brown wasn't the right man. He never was. But 5 games into a season where you're implementing a new offense with a lot of new personnel? Well...you can't judge anything in that circumstance after just 5 games.

Aust
11-10-2012, 08:50 PM
It's a tough situation. I may be in the minority on this one, but I still think Mike Brown is a good coach and will find success wherever he goes. I think he was too much of a 'nice guy', wrong personality for the job.

kblo247
11-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Well to be fair, it was coming when he said they called him in to discuss his minute management of Kobe and Dwight. Brown went against orders to cool his seat off, and didn't use personnel that he asked for in the role he told Mitch they would be used. It was like a line of **** ups that was compounded with h fact he was 1-5 on the season, 0-8 in the preseason, and literally blew the last two playoff games with rotations and minute management.

I think they could stomach the slow start if
- he was preserving Dwight and Kobe by following doctors orders
- he was playing Meeks as backup SG like they were told or Jamison at PF
- he wanted to use Nash like Nash and didn't insult him by saying his style was a losing one
- he didn't advocate jump shooting, 3pt taking Pau
- he didn't admittedly ask Ron to focus less on man D and more on team this year

At some point a coach can be his own worst enemy

If you know Dwight isn't supposed to be back so soon, ease him up to 30 minutes gradually. If you know Kobe sprained his foot don't play him 40 minutes, say yeah Kobe and Vitti told me he was hitting a needed a rest, but I needed a win. Don't tell the gm in the exit meeting you don't want to us Pau at C, you want to use Hill there, keeping Pau a full time PF, and have them go out and hard sell Jamison to be the backup at one huge discount, only to play him at SF. Don't tell the team the reason you played Kobe the year before 12 regular season and 4 playoff games where he didn't sit a second of the second half of games was you had no legit SG on your roster, have them use the mle on Meeks, and then not play him instead opting to play Blake/MWP/Ebanks there as they aren't legit sgs. Asking Ron to not be Ron and try to lockdown guys is also silly to do as he got paid in this league to be a one on one lockdown mercenary, not a team defensive anchor

He screwed himself over a lot

Teeboy1487
11-10-2012, 09:04 PM
I might be bias, but I thought the Lakers made the right decision. Brown was not a good fit for this team. His rotations completely stunk, he was making questionable coaching decisions and number one, he did not win. I don't think Brown was the cause of all the problems, but he was a problem. The fact is, the Lakers did not trust him and the writing was on the wall for an eventual firing. In this situation, this was the perfect time to get rid of him instead of waiting for him to "experiment". The Lakers have no time to waste. Hiring someone else right now is perfect because by season's end, the system should be learned. Also, if Phil is hired, even more perfect considering when most of the core players knows his system. This was a great decision in my book just like the Kings did last year with Paul Westphal.

JayW_1023
11-11-2012, 07:18 AM
If Jerry Sloan comes in that would be hi-la-rious. One of the few people who would stand up to Kobe.

Supa
11-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Did they make a good decision? It seems to me like they overreact to almost any loss. They are a new team and they are just learning how to play with each other ... Usually teams would go on at least 30 games.

It's better than 30 games into the season then switch coaches and system. Like a lot of people already said, Lakers are in win now mode, and no time to wait out or experiment.

Not really Brown fault, he is just not in the right time or situation to coach this Lakers team.

Trying to implement a system to players that yourself are not familiar with is not a problem that can be solved in a short amount of time.

---