PDA

View Full Version : An honest question...

BlueJayFanDan
11-10-2012, 05:29 AM
I have to ask, what is with all the hype around here about Denard Span? I keep seeing people, mostly Braves fans, wanting to give up Hanson or Delgado or Teheran for Span, assuming they lose Bourn. Span is a good player, but why do people feel he is worth a really good #2 type pitcher? Span is awesome defensively, but I don't think he is anything all that special on offense...He has virtually no power, doesn't steal a ton of bases, doesn't drive in many runs. He gets on base, but not even top 10 among center fielders in OBP. His BB/K ratio is really the only super impressive thing I see about him, and he has a solid contract as well. But really, I just don't see it.

chipper10
11-10-2012, 05:40 AM
Im Braves fan and can tell u while tommy hanson is a great pitcher they have like a million arms in the farm. Some of which can crack the roster now and opening day. Im not sure its a matter of wanting to just give up hanson but pitching is pretty much the money they will use to spend on a bat if u get what im sayin. Were not gettin carlos gonzalez or matt holiday for hanson nor r we overpaying to get anything. Spans defense and obp give him goid value for the bravos. Maybe not for the jays. All the braves need is a cf or 3b/lf (depending on where prado plays). Plus hanson has decent value but i honestly think some of the young pitchers can meet ir exceed his numbers so why not flip him?

Fly
11-10-2012, 09:51 AM
I have to ask, what is with all the hype around here about Denard Span? I keep seeing people, mostly Braves fans, wanting to give up Hanson or Delgado or Teheran for Span, assuming they lose Bourn. Span is a good player, but why do people feel he is worth a really good #2 type pitcher? Span is awesome defensively, but I don't think he is anything all that special on offense...He has virtually no power, doesn't steal a ton of bases, doesn't drive in many runs. He gets on base, but not even top 10 among center fielders in OBP. His BB/K ratio is really the only super impressive thing I see about him, and he has a solid contract as well. But really, I just don't see it.

No... I promise no Braves fan has ever wanted to trade Teheran for Span.

But to answer your question: he's great defensively and very cheap for the next 3 years. He also gets on base well as a leadoff guy and has the ability to steal 20+ bases.

cubbiefan_est88
11-10-2012, 11:12 AM
With clint eastwood as a scout the braves farm will continue to prosper.

Rush
11-10-2012, 01:09 PM
No... I promise no Braves fan has ever wanted to trade Teheran for Span.

But to answer your question: he's great defensively and very cheap for the next 3 years. He also gets on base well as a leadoff guy and has the ability to steal 20+ bases.

There was one that did suggest Teheran for Span. Only one I believe though.

Fly
11-10-2012, 01:17 PM
There was one that did suggest Teheran for Span. Only one I believe though.

I know there was someone in the Braves forum that suggested Teheran+ for Span and Willingham, but I haven't seen anyone say straight up Teheran for Span.

BlueJayFanDan
11-10-2012, 02:51 PM
I know there was someone in the Braves forum that suggested Teheran+ for Span and Willingham, but I haven't seen anyone say straight up Teheran for Span.

It was in the trade idea thread a few pages back. But realistically, I don't know if people are overvaluing Span, or just feel safe that all the Braves pitchers will succeed, but I just don't see much there other than defense and an OBP that isn't even that incredible...

BlueJayFanDan
11-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Maybe being a Jays fan, I value rotation arms more than Braves fans I guess, but I would rather have a plethora of awesome starters over an average center fielder any day of the week.

beldugo
11-10-2012, 03:21 PM
It was in the trade idea thread a few pages back. But realistically, I don't know if people are overvaluing Span, or just feel safe that all the Braves pitchers will succeed, but I just don't see much there other than defense and an OBP that isn't even that incredible...

Agree, but three years of control for him at a reasonable price is also a plus. I won't trade Hanson for him, he just have a bad year, the guy was one of the rising star pitchers before this year, he still have a couple of years of control. However i will do a Hanson for Span and Willingham trade.

BlueJayFanDan
11-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Agree, but three years of control for him at a reasonable price is also a plus. I won't trade Hanson for him, he just have a bad year, the guy was one of the rising star pitchers before this year, he still have a couple of years of control. However i will do a Hanson for Span and Willingham trade.

Well of course you would do that. Willingham can hammer 25+ home runs and 90 RBI in pretty much any given year. But I was seeing posts in the trade idea thread like Hanson + prospects for Span...That's just stupid. But if you can get a 25 home run guy like Willingham who is also pretty cheap + Span, then Hanson's value is going towards a more worthy cause, considering the Braves were a couple good bats from maybe winning it all this year.