PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers win posting for Ryu Hyun-jin Bid $25,737,737.33

Pages : [1] 2

grandsalami
11-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Dan ‏@MyKBO
OSEN is reporting that a still unknown MLB team bid $25,737,737.33 for Ryu Hyun-jin and the Hanwha Eagles have accepted.

Updated per post 152
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showpost.php?p=24262835&postcount=152

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal
MLB confirms that #Dodgers have won rights to Korean LHP Ryu. Now have 30 days to sign him.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/267295792950284288

MetsFanatic19
The Mets! :laugh2:

MetsFanatic19
In all seriousness, I think it's either the Yanks, Cubs, Red Sox, or Dodgers.

DaSox_05
11-09-2012, 08:31 PM
I think its the Cubs

MetsFanatic19
11-09-2012, 08:31 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/08/bids-were-due-today-for-korean-left-hander-ryu-hyun-jin/

UPDATE: Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune reports that the Cubs were among the teams who submitted a bid. The Hanwha Eagles have four business days to decide whether they are going to accept the highest bid.

7:42 PM: We learned early last week that the Hanwha Eagles of the Korea Baseball Organization were planning to post left-hander Ryu Hyun-Jin for MLB teams. We may soon find out who had the winning bid.

According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, bids for Hyun-Jin were due by 5 p.m. ET today. While Grant doesn’t have confirmation, he believes the Rangers may have made a bid.

The Eagles have the right to accept or decline the bid, as Hyun-Jin can’t leave Korea as an outright free agent until 2014. If they accept, Hyun-Jin will have the opportunity to negotiate a contract with the winning team. He has already hired Scott Boras to represent him, which puts an interesting wrinkle in the proceedings. Assuming a contract is eventually worked out, the Eagles will then receive the posting fee.

Hyun-Jin, 25, has been one of the best starters in KBO since winning the Rookie of the Year and MVP in the same season as a teenager. He’s not a hard-thrower, mostly sitting in the high-80s to low-90s (pitch data courtesy of MyKBO.net), but his changeup is considered a quality pitch.

A duo of Ryu and Yu would be pretty cool for Texas.

natepro
11-09-2012, 08:36 PM
I guess the Angels will have to settle for Ken.

LASportsFan1996
11-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Intresting

lol, please
11-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Giants.

:hide:

LASportsFan1996
11-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Not the Cubs

popo85
11-09-2012, 08:58 PM
It was the Padres!!

grandsalami
11-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
#cubs said to have bid aggressively on Ryu but they did not win the bid at $25.7M

MetsFanatic19
11-09-2012, 09:04 PM
The Ranger's international fanbase would be HUGE if they won the bid.

idrinkpepsi
11-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Wonder who it is.

netsgiantsyanks
11-09-2012, 09:07 PM
not the yankees.

thephoenixson28
11-09-2012, 09:12 PM
The Dbacks hahaha yeah right

CHRISDODGERS
11-09-2012, 09:16 PM
$25,737,737.33 was winning bid. 737 is Austin, TX area code.

Hunter48MVP
11-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Dodgers they will spend money on anybody

drew_ellis_23
11-09-2012, 09:21 PM

Makes me think it was Texas. That would be crazy. And they do need more pitching.

ZamboniCub
11-09-2012, 09:26 PM
737 is also my neighbors house number maybe he won.

BKLYNpigeon
11-09-2012, 09:28 PM

yeah, but the Rangers play in Arlington.

it probably the Dodgers. they need pitching real bad.

agureghian
11-09-2012, 09:31 PM
couldnt teams just do that, fail to negotiate and block a team from signing him?

More-Than-Most
11-09-2012, 09:33 PM
I hate that the phillies are never in on these guys... I wanted Yu or Caspy last year...Glad we Dodged those bullets :pity:

Rylinkus
11-09-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm told Rangers did not win Ryu bid; then again I was told last year Toronto had whopper bid for Darvish. Best to wait for MLB to release.

--Evan Grant

Rylinkus
11-09-2012, 09:34 PM
DBL Post

Jays_Win_Again
11-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Good thing this winning team got the 33 cents in there. Thats what definatly won it for them.

CHRISDODGERS
11-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Maybe it's the Angels saying **** you to Texas with the area code? lol

Bob Loblaw
11-09-2012, 09:57 PM
when will the team be announced?

LASportsFan1996
11-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Other teams suspect the Dodgers won the bidding on Hyun-Jin Ryu, the pitcher from South Korea who drew a winning bid of more than $25m.

Cubsfan365
11-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Of course other teams think that. Everybody is going to guess the Dodgers because they apparently don't give a **** about money right now.

LASportsFan1996
11-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Winner of rights for Ryu unconfirmed, but sources tell me and @jonmorosi that #Dodgers submitted aggressive bid.

HowFit
11-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Good, I hope it is the Dodgers...

LASportsFan1996
11-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Mike Petriello ‏@mike_petriello
Very good source I trust a lot confirms to me the Dodgers have won Ryu.

Green Storm
11-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Of course other teams think that. Everybody is going to guess the Dodgers because they apparently don't give a **** about money.

Fixed for ya.

Illa215
11-09-2012, 10:36 PM
I love the Dodgers. Keep spending money...

Baseball takes a lot more than who can spend the most money. They're a great team on paper, but that's not usually the way it works.

ChongInc.
11-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Hope it wasn't the jays. That money needs to be spent else where.

Cubsfan365
11-09-2012, 10:38 PM
I love the Dodgers. Keep spending money...

Baseball takes a lot more than who can spend the most money. They're a great team on paper, but that's not usually the way it works.
This. We see how far it got them in the 2012 playoff race.

bosox3431
11-09-2012, 10:50 PM
It was defintly the red sox. They just resigned david ortiz. In 2005 his zone rating was .737. Welcome to boston mr. Ryu

lajoie
11-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Jeez, they couldn't round it up to a whole number?

Bo Sox Fan
11-09-2012, 10:52 PM
They should be taking notes from there Superior, the World Series Champion San Fransisco Giants.

Hell, even the Yankees are getting away from spending the big dough and are now using there farm system more.

Question: Did someone forget to tell Magic Johnson and the rest of Dodger management that there is a hefty luxury tax fee after the $180 million point? And that it starts getting pretty severe once you start spending over the $200 million range? At this rate t.v. deal or not, the Dodgers are gonna be bankrupt again in 10 years (or less)

Scully in 2012
11-09-2012, 10:58 PM
This just in : Dodger to file for bankruptcy...:rolleyes:

MetsFanatic19
11-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Dodgers just don't give a ****.

I heard they started to grow money trees down there in LA.

Scully in 2012
11-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Dodgers just don't give a ****.

I heard they started to grow money trees down there in LA.

They are bushes...not trees.

THINKBLUE15
11-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Nobody even knows what they're talking about with the Dodgers.

They didn't really 'go bankrupt'. Mccourt bought the team all on debt and spent revenue on himself, having to take the team into bankruptcy because of the initial sale was dumb (Selig, thanks) and he didn't care about the team.

2012 is in the past. I don't get how because they didn't make the playoffs in a year when cards were being shuffled all over the place in limited time with critical injury issues, among other things, means they are gonna be a bust. SAMPLE SIZE. Why don't you wait for this team to play a season together before declaring them a punchline. The Dodgers had ample excuses for coming up short last season.

Kasten is a smart person. Scouting and player development is the biggest priority on his list. In the mean time, they are going to spend a lot of money initially in order to build an intimidate competitor while they rebuild the franchise Mccourt tarnished.

The Dodgers are trying to have their cake (restore/rebuild) and eat it too (win now). Let them. It is their money.

Listen to Stan Kasten. You might learn a thing or two. This is more than just going out and spending money. It's about reestablishing the West Coast's flagship baseball brand.

It's not just players. It's renovating the stadium, land, etc. etc.

There is a sensational article by Keith Law that came out yesterday. Fantastic read, and I recommend it.

Because the consensus amongst PSD is they are foolish, a bust because they came up short in a small sample size with multiple issues, and are destined to fail. That's not the case.

They will not need to take on this much money eventually. Under proven baseball executives in Stan Kasten, Logan White, Gerry Hunsiker, etc. they are working towards building a franchise built upon player development. But that cannot happen over night. It takes time. In the meantime, they are putting together the best team they can with the resources they have.

Back off. They are on their way to great things. They are a rebuilding franchise with the resources to make an exciting team for the fans to watch in the interim.

Killer Clown
11-09-2012, 11:20 PM
I'd love to see the Cubs get him

Cracka2HI!
11-09-2012, 11:24 PM

They didn't really 'go bankrupt'. Mccourt bought the team all on debt and spent revenue on himself, having to take the team into bankruptcy because of the initial sale was dumb (Selig, thanks) and he didn't care about the team.

2012 is in the past. I don't get how because they didn't make the playoffs in a year when cards were being shuffled all over the place in limited time with critical injury issues, among other things, means they are gonna be a bust. SAMPLE SIZE. Why don't you wait for this team to play a season together before declaring them a punchline. The Dodgers had ample excuses for coming up short last season.

Kasten is a smart person. Scouting and player development is the biggest priority on his list. In the mean time, they are going to spend a lot of money initially in order to build an intimidate competitor while they rebuild the franchise Mccourt tarnished.

The Dodgers are trying to have their cake (restore/rebuild) and eat it too (win now). Let them. It is their money.

Listen to Stan Kasten. You might learn a thing or two. This is more than just going out and spending money. It's about reestablishing the West Coast's flagship baseball brand.

There is a sensational article by Keith Law that came out yesterday. Fantastic read, and I recommend it.

Because the consensus amongst PSD is they are foolish, a bust because they came up short in a small sample size with multiple issues, and are destined to fail. That's not the case.

They will not need to take on this much money eventually. Under proven baseball executives in Stan Kasten, Logan White, Gerry Hunsiker, etc. they are working towards building a franchise built upon player development. But that cannot happen over night. It takes time. In the meantime, they are putting together the best team they can with the resources they have.

Back off. They are on their way to great things. They are a rebuilding franchise with the resources to make an exciting team for the fans to watch in the interim.
Great post, that is exactly what's happening. 4-5 years from now when all these HUGE contracts go away there will be top young players replacing them! The team is spending everywhere and possibly most aggressively the farm system, with a large emphasis on international talent!

VRP723
11-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Hahahahaha we are awesome

LASportsFan1996
11-09-2012, 11:28 PM
:win:

Still waiting for official word though

Cubsfan365
11-09-2012, 11:30 PM

How are the Dodgers trying to rebuild, while spending money? They traded away arguably 4 of their top 10 prospects, and quality SP arms in Eovaldi, De La Rosa, and Webster

More-Than-Most
11-09-2012, 11:35 PM

A team with a high pay roll who missed the playoffs and watched their division rivals win the title does not equate to awesome.

:shrug:

Overrated/Unproven are all much better words in place of awesome

More-Than-Most
11-09-2012, 11:37 PM
That being said I like the signing depending on how much they offered. I see the offer in the thread title as well but I am not sure if its accurate and will wait for the final announcement

Killer Clown
11-09-2012, 11:39 PM
God I hate the Dodgers

Cubsfan365
11-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Can't wait to see the actual contract offer the Dodgers throw his way.

GA16Angels
11-09-2012, 11:44 PM
This is getting ridiculous. Do the Dodgers have no limit whatsoever in their spending?

THINKBLUE15
11-09-2012, 11:49 PM
How are the Dodgers trying to rebuild, while spending money? They traded away arguably 4 of their top 10 prospects, and quality SP arms in Eovaldi, De La Rosa, and Webster
4 top 10 Dodger prospects doesn't equate to anything, aside from Ruby De La Rosa. They still were able to retain players they believe will be impact Major League players.

We can go back and forth on this, and I am not willing to. Keeping every prospect isn't how you rebuild either. That's so narrow minded.

I am glad Stan Kasten is over seeing the direction of this franchise. The Dodgers are in good hands.

You see Adrian Gonzalez as Adrian. The Dodgers see him as a premiere name to replace James Loney, and a Mexican American star in Los Angeles.

As for More-than-Most. Sorry the team with Juan Rivera and Jerry Hairston as their 4-5 combo at one point...Harerra, Uribe, Gwynn, and Loney running around as starters... with Kemp, Ethier, Billingsley, Lilly, Mark Ellis, Jansen, etc, missing significant time...and a bunch of new players and personnel thrown together past the mid way point of the season couldn't meet your expectations. Kemp was so ineffective when he came off the DL it killed the team even more than the other issues. He had to have shoulder surgery 3 days after the season ended.Oh yeah, and they still missed the playoffs by only 2 games.

Just as it was dumb for Dodger fans and Curt Schilling to declare them champs, it is just as foolish to judge them based on as little as we've seen.

PSD is just a Dodger hate wave. Getting old. Luckily, I don't have to listen.

LASportsFan1996
11-09-2012, 11:51 PM
4 top 10 Dodger prospects doesn't equate to anything, aside from Ruby De La Rosa. They still were able to retain players they believe will be impact Major League players.

We can go back and forth on this, and I am not willing to. Keeping every prospect isn't how you rebuild either. That's so narrow minded.

I am glad Stan Kasten is over seeing the direction of this franchise. The Dodgers are in good hands.

You see Adrian Gonzalez as Adrian. The Dodgers see him as a premiere name to replace James Loney, and a Mexican American star in Los Angeles.

As for More-than-Most. Sorry the team with Juan Rivera and Jerry Hairston as their 4-5 combo at one point...Harerra, Uribe, Gwynn, and Loney running around as starters... with Kemp, Ethier, Billingsley, Lilly, Mark Ellis, Jansen, etc, missing significant time...and a bunch of new players and personnel thrown together past the mid way point of the season couldn't meet your expectations. Kemp was so ineffective when he came off the DL it killed the team even more than the other issues. He had to have shoulder surgery 3 days after the season ended.Oh yeah, and they still missed the playoffs by only 2 games.

Just as it was dumb for Dodger fans and Curt Schilling to declare them champs, it is just as foolish to judge them based on as little as we've seen.

:worthy::worthy: Great Post

This site is infested with haters for sure

Killer Clown
11-09-2012, 11:53 PM
:worthy::worthy: Great Post

This site is infested with haters for sure

This site has a lot of haters, but also a **** load of dodger fans

Cubsfan365
11-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Not saying you have to keep all your prospects, you should use some as trade bait. But at this rate, the Dodgers will have no young pitching left in a year or two. What do they have now in the farm system besides Zach Lee? It's okay though, they'll probably just throw $200 Million at Greinke and $125 Million at Anibal to round out their rotation.

THINKBLUE15
11-09-2012, 11:54 PM
This is getting ridiculous. Do the Dodgers have no limit whatsoever in their spending?
Of course they do.

But Walter came in and said, "We are in this to own a baseball team. We've already made all of our money in life. This franchise has lead MLB in attendance since moving to Los Angeles and we are going to restore this brand by any means necessary." "The Dodgers are a cash cow. I don't need to buy 8 homes. It's about baseball."

Eventually they won't NEED to spend all this money. Right now they do...and they can. So ho cares?

Idk why everyone is getting worked up. If they suck as much as everyone says they do, then who cares?

More-Than-Most
11-09-2012, 11:56 PM

Injuries happen...The Phillies lost several key players as did a ton of other teams but they do not use it as an excuse...A team like the Giants and others traded for several players as well at the deadline and they performed well regardless... I agree it is hard to judge them considering we have not seen them at their best but proclaiming the team to beat or the best team in baseball like some of you have warrants such remarks....It is easy to say they were Injured but just as easy to say buying up everything doesn't equate to winning anything. You guys get mad when we state that but in term jump right to the injury excuse or the new players only had a set amount of time. They look good on paper but they are overrated and unproven....How am I wrong? People have them as the best team in baseball because of the talent alone with 0 proof that they can even play together...That wouldnt be to bad if the team in their division didnt spank them down the stretch and win the world series for the 2nd time in 4 years.

Overrated and Unproven as mean as it might look Describes the current Dodgers team over Awesome.

CHRISDODGERS
11-09-2012, 11:59 PM
lmao i love this

THINKBLUE15
11-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Dodgers TV Rights Could Generate $8.5 Billion (Analysis)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dodgers-tv-rights-359221

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/8/9/3230431/los-angeles-dodgers-tv-rights-eight-billion-dollars

Keith Law on new Dodgers:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove12/story/_/id/8605165/los-angeles-dodgers-spending-new-york-yankees

LASportsFan1996
11-10-2012, 12:00 AM
This site has a lot of haters, but also a **** load of dodger fans

Everybody hates a team with money and trying to do it the "wrong way" of trying to "buy" a title, when in fact that is the name of the game, winning titles and at any cost, especially when this franchise hasn't won a title in 25 years, that is just unexceptable... Whatever, haters gonna hate as they say

Havoc Wreaker
11-10-2012, 12:01 AM
@ken_rosenthal:
Pirates believed to be the team with the winning bid #ryu

:speechless:

PSYCH

Havoc Wreaker
11-10-2012, 12:03 AM
I guess the Angels will have to settle for Ken.
Excellent

Can't believe it went over everyones head

:clap:

THINKBLUE15
I'm just minding my own business now. I'll offer my two cents here and there but I rarely engage in these arguments anymore. I spent the first 5 years of PSD never talking crap on other teams, doing my best to respect others, and the favor is never returned. So the past several months I've been saying whatever is on my mind.

Talk crap on the Dodgers. It is your right, and I suppose it's the nature of sports forums. But I aint engaging in this.

More-Than-Most
Gotta love the rebuttal....

Dodger Hater- They just spend spend spend
Dodger lover- I love it Lol.... Haters gonna hate
Dodger Hater-Jesus christ is there a limit
Dodger Lover- This team is Awsome and amazing
Dodger lover- At the guys post above :clap:

The sad part these types of people will now take over the thread and annoy the people that actually bring something to the thread like Points/Facts/Opinions with weight to help back up their opinions.

THINKBLUE15
11-10-2012, 12:04 AM
And congrats to the Pirates fans. They deserve to be in on players.

More-Than-Most
11-10-2012, 12:05 AM

PSYCH

If this is true it will all of a sudden become a bad deal to all Dodger fans and this player will be terrible and they will of course not want him anyway... and GO

Cubsfan365

PSYCH
:laugh2:

Killer Clown
Wow, lets go Pirates!

ciaban
yeah, but the Rangers play in Arlington.

it probably the Dodgers. they need pitching real bad.
i wouldn't say real bad, we had the 3rd lowest era in the league, there is a need though.

the only real impact pitcher was De La Rosa, the other guys are all right. and they still kept a lot of other guys that can be productive at the big league level.

Can't wait to see the actual contract offer the Dodgers throw his way.

we shouldn't just assume that they were the ones to sign him, it could be anyone, if the dodgers did get him, i am ready to hear people bash them for spending to much, if someone else signs him we will see a lot of :clap:

More-Than-Most

PSYCH

It would have been cooler had they signed a guy like Hamels/Grienke

More-Than-Most
11-10-2012, 12:06 AM
we shouldn't just assume that they were the ones to sign him, it could be anyone, if the dodgers did get him, i am ready to hear people bash them for spending to much, if someone else signs him we will see a lot of :clap:

Only if it is to a team like the Pirates/Pads/Tampa who are spending when they never really do.

THINKBLUE15
11-10-2012, 12:07 AM
I've never hated teams who spent money. Like the Yankees...why hate them? They have money and spend it. That's what it should be. And that's how the Dodgers should be too. Glad they are.

LASportsFan1996
11-10-2012, 12:08 AM
And congrats to the Pirates fans. They deserve to be in on players.

Read the whole post lol, he said psych, Dodgers still look like they got him

More-Than-Most
11-10-2012, 12:09 AM
I've never hated teams who spent money. Like the Yankees...why hate them? They have money and spend it. That's what it should be. And that's how the Dodgers should be too. Glad they are.

Its not about hate at least not to most people who know what they are talking about.... I do not hate the Dodgers for spending I just do not think it equates to winning world titles or being the best team in baseball. I hate my own team for the moronic spending because I understand that there is a limit before you reach hell.

Havoc Wreaker
Read the whole post lol, he said psych, Dodgers still look like they got him
Buzz Killington

Pootamis91
damn wish the Yankees won the bid. Now i can never say Ryu threw a Hadouken to strike a batter out

CHRISDODGERS
11-10-2012, 12:10 AM
wow you suck Havoc lol

Havoc Wreaker
11-10-2012, 12:12 AM
wow you suck Havoc lol
:silly:

ciaban
11-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Only if it is to a team like the Pirates/Pads/Tampa who are spending when they never really do.

so the dodgers deserved to get laughed at over the Brandon League signing, but if tampa or pit gave that exact contract to league it wouldn't have been an overpay? they would have deserved applause

Green Storm
11-10-2012, 12:21 AM
If this is true it will all of a sudden become a bad deal to all Dodger fans and this player will be terrible and they will of course not want him anyway... and GO

Calm down Morton

Cubsfan365
11-10-2012, 12:22 AM
so the dodgers deserved to get laughed at over the Brandon League signing, but if tampa or pit gave that exact contract to league it wouldn't have been an overpay? they would have deserved applause
But they wouldn't have. The Rays do things like sign Rodney for $1.75 Million and then he puts up a 0.60 ERA in 74.2 innings as a closer, the best ERA ever for a reliever over 60 IP. Sure it was some luck, but they'd never pay a reliever that much.

Cracka2HI!
11-10-2012, 12:24 AM
I don't see how Dodgers fans can be upset about this or the team spending unlimited money. I can see people hating on the Dodgers for this, but I don't understand the people who are hating on them and saying they are going to suck. If you think they will suck who cares?

To be objective the team should very good. A contender for sure. No team is lock obviously and I don't think the Dodgers should be ranked ahead of the World Champs going into the season. It doesn't matter what they do, the Giants have proven it and will return with a similar and possibly improved team.

I had never heard of this guy but he looks like a stud! Young too! This isn't even a big post for a starting pitcher of this caliber but everyone is talking **** cause it's the Dodgers...how much did Dice-K and Irabu get?

More-Than-Most
11-10-2012, 12:25 AM

Did I say that? I said they would get applauded for spending...Over paying is something all together Different.. I was using this deal when saying that. I also stated I liked this deal as long as the price is right even with the Dodgers being reported to have landed him.... Go read back before you switch my words around.

Bo Sox Fan
11-10-2012, 12:26 AM
You can't really hate the Dodgers for spending money, it's within there right and well... all the power to them!

It's simple, the more money they spend, the harder you laugh at them when they fail at seasons end, that's all. (Example: 2012)

More-Than-Most
11-10-2012, 12:28 AM
I don't see how Dodgers fans can be upset about this or the team spending unlimited money. I can see people hating on the Dodgers for this, but I don't understand the people who are hating on them and saying they are going to suck. If you think they will suck who cares?

To be objective the team should very good. A contender for sure. No team is lock obviously and I don't think the Dodgers should be ranked ahead of the World Champs going into the season. It doesn't matter what they do, the Giants have proven it and will return with a similar and possibly improved team.

I had never heard of this guy but he looks like a stud! Young too! This isn't even a big post for a starting pitcher of this caliber but everyone is talking **** cause it's the Dodgers...how much did Dice-K and Irabu get?

There is always a limit... As a Phillie fan we spend a ton all the time and it pisses me off because we spend but not wisely and that is a slippery slope because if they do not win anything they will be stuck with large contracts and a mediocre team. So I agree it is fun to spend but there is always a limit and spending a ton is fun as long as you are winning.

VRP723
11-10-2012, 12:31 AM
The haters are my motivators #BamSucka

bosox3431
11-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Haters. How original.

Nymfan87
11-10-2012, 12:41 AM
I hope the Dodgers keep spending money like this. I have absolutely no problem with the Dodgers if they're going to field a $220 million dollar team that plays like a $120-140 million dollar team.

Chucky Woods
11-10-2012, 01:01 AM
You can't really hate the Dodgers for spending money, it's within there right and well... all the power to them!

It's simple, the more money they spend, the harder you laugh at them when they fail at seasons end, that's all. (Example: 2012)Exactly I'm gonna laugh my *** off when the Dodgers are terrible. They got Kemp and Kershaw that's all.

Cracka2HI!
11-10-2012, 01:02 AM
There is always a limit... As a Phillie fan we spend a ton all the time and it pisses me off because we spend but not wisely and that is a slippery slope because if they do not win anything they will be stuck with large contracts and a mediocre team. So I agree it is fun to spend but there is always a limit and spending a ton is fun as long as you are winning.

I meant to post seemingly unlimited. You are correct that they must have a limit, but us fans have no idea what it is. The way they are conducting business I think fans should look at it as an unlimited budget. I'm not saying it's a lock to work, but for now it doesn't look the limit is in sight.

Scully in 2012
11-10-2012, 01:03 AM
:bla::bla:

All of you that are trash talking the Dodgers are ridiculous. If your team was spending like this you would be totally supporting it.

The Dodgers have a very crappy farm system and desperately need to replenish it. At the beginning of the 2012 year our team was average at best. By the end we had acquired several key players that will, very likely, make us a contender. The plan is to win now...not in 6-7 years when the prospects finally develop.

With that in mind, they will now focus on finding new you talent to develop.
try
McCheapo created this situation...They are just trying to fix it fast.

Fly
11-10-2012, 01:07 AM
I don't understand why people hate the dodgers because they spend money.. What are they supposed to do with it?

jej
11-10-2012, 01:08 AM

But the Yankees actually make the playoffs.

THINKBLUE15
11-10-2012, 01:09 AM
All they have is Kemp and Kershaw. That's it.

THINKBLUE15
11-10-2012, 01:13 AM
But the Yankees actually make the playoffs.

Glad you can measure 2 months of the Dodgers and equate it to several years of the Yankees. You're much smarter than I am to pull off such an excellent comparison.

Harerra, Rivera, Uribe, Gordon, Loney, Hairston, and Gwynn Jr are flattered you compared the '12 Dodgers to the evil empire.

LASportsFan1996
11-10-2012, 01:17 AM
This is ****ing hilarious, wow people :laugh:

MetsFanatic19
A few years ago, we would all be bowing down to the Dodgers. I really wonder how Magic will handle the team 3,4,5 years from now.

LASportsFan1996
They got Kemp and Kershaw that's all.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

More-Than-Most
11-10-2012, 01:18 AM
:bla::bla:

All of you that are trash talking the Dodgers are ridiculous. If your team was spending like this you would be totally supporting it.

The Dodgers have a very crappy farm system and desperately need to replenish it. At the beginning of the 2012 year our team was average at best. By the end we had acquired several key players that will, very likely, make us a contender. The plan is to win now...not in 6-7 years when the prospects finally develop.

With that in mind, they will now focus on finding new you talent to develop.
try
McCheapo created this situation...They are just trying to fix it fast.

My team does and has and I have hated it from Contracts as recent as Paps who is a great closer to guys like Howard/Polanco/Pence/Werth/Lee/Hamels

I stated I would have traded Lee or not signed hamels because of how much we have put in pitching. I was against us signing Howard/Polanco/Paps/Werth because all were over paid. Spending is great but winning does not always happen because teams spend and being stuck with horrid contracts and being an older team is not a good feeling. So try again?

We won a world series with like an 80 million dollar pay roll and from that point on spent more and more every year only to fall short each time.

THINKBLUE15
11-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Since the Dodgers had a horrible month of September, why don't they just give up on life?

THINKBLUE15
11-10-2012, 01:21 AM
A few years ago, we would all be bowing down to the Dodgers. I really wonder how Magic will handle the team 3,4,5 years from now.
Magic doesn't even do anything.

Halladay
11-10-2012, 01:29 AM
Good thing those 33 cents got thrown in, definitely put the bidder over the top.

SpecialFNK
11-10-2012, 01:42 AM
what is the purpose of a team bidding 25,737,737.33 ?
is this supposed to mean something? why not round it to like 25 even or 26.
does the winning bid have to be the highest or can that team accept whatever bid they want? maybe the team accepting the bid saw this crazy number and thought it would be funny to accept that instead of say a team that bid just a little higher.
how would the Dodgers even come up with that number to bid.

CHRISDODGERS
11-10-2012, 01:47 AM
the hate makes me happy :)

DodgerLove
11-10-2012, 01:58 AM
Seems chill.

Halladay
11-10-2012, 02:00 AM
the hate makes me happy :)

Dodgers fans saying this in every thread=:yawn:

More-Than-Most
11-10-2012, 02:01 AM

:nod:

iggypop123
11-10-2012, 02:02 AM
a fat korean zito. whatever its not so bad.

LASportsFan1996
11-10-2012, 02:02 AM

The hate in every thread: :yawn: yet :laugh::laugh:

THINKBLUE15
11-10-2012, 02:08 AM

Every other fanbase talking crap about the Dodgers in every thread=:yawn:

THINKBLUE15
11-10-2012, 02:09 AM
And for the record, I'm not high on this move at all.

jbeezy
11-10-2012, 02:33 AM
Dodgers :laugh2:

JRisdabest
11-10-2012, 02:34 AM
Year Team W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR HB BB IBB SO AVG WHIP
2006 Hanwha 18- 6 2.23 30 28 6 1 1 201.2 159 57 50 11 2 52 3 204 .221 1.05
2007 17-7 2.94 30 30 6 1 0 211.0 195 74 69 15 3 68 4 178 .251 1.25
2008 14-7 3.31 26 26 2 1 0 165.2 144 66 61 12 1 67 2 143 .240 1.27
2009 13-12 3.57 28 27 4 2 0 189.1 180 80 75 19 2 67 3 188 .254 1.30
2010 16-4 1.82 25 25 5 3 0 192.2 149 42 39 11 9 45 2 187 .220 1.01
2011 11-7 3.36 24 18 3 0 0 126.0 101 54 47 12 1 38 0 128 .217 1.10
2012 9-9 2.66 27 27 1 0 0 182.2 153 58 54 12 5 46 6 210 .232 1.09
TOTAL 98 52 2.80 190 181 27 8 1 1269 1081 431 395 92 23 383 20 1238 .234 1.15
amazing stats

Krush
11-10-2012, 02:43 AM
He is supposedly the best pitcher in Korea, and he'll be less money than Greinke who wants 25 million a year. The Dodgers are building an all-star team.

VRP723
11-10-2012, 02:50 AM
Dodgers fans need to be more mature and ignore people who regardless of what happens are going to talk down on them.

Other fans need to be more mature and realize that spending money isn't always negative because in a few instances it's been negative. It's actually, most often, positive, which is strangely enough the opposite of negative.

Krush
11-10-2012, 02:55 AM
I remember in 2009 the Yankees paid a crap load of money to sign Sabathia, Texeira, and Burnett.....They won the world series that season.

VRP723
11-10-2012, 02:58 AM
It's something Dodgers fans have to live with. Stop trying to rationalize with it. Go into the Cubs forum, the Red Sox forum, whatever other forums have threads for this guy, everyone wanted him. Hell, even this thread. Then he signs and everyone is suddenly an accountant.

The mentality in the sports community of being a know-it-all, even when people know very, very little, is really started to get to me I think.

Pootamis91
11-10-2012, 03:13 AM
I remember in 2009 the Yankees paid a crap load of money to sign Sabathia, Texeira, and Burnett.....They won the world series that season.

this is a easy one this is what the Yankees had for the rotation going into 2009

?
?
Hughes
Chamberlain
Kennedy

they had to sign Sabathia & Burnett or else they were in big trouble as for Texeria the Yankees lost Giambi and they knew they were not going to sign Damon or Matsui to a extension so that is why they made that move.

Killer Clown
11-10-2012, 03:13 AM
A lot of guys dont transition well from other countries. Darvish definitely didnt live up to the hype

More-Than-Most
11-10-2012, 03:17 AM
It's something Dodgers fans have to live with. Stop trying to rationalize with it. Go into the Cubs forum, the Red Sox forum, whatever other forums have threads for this guy, everyone wanted him. Hell, even this thread. Then he signs and everyone is suddenly an accountant.

The mentality in the sports community of being a know-it-all, even when people know very, very little, is really started to get to me I think.

Has anyone argued with it being a bad deal or that the player is bad? I find it humerus that as soon as someone mentions money you guys jump to the conclusion that its hate or you guys have an endless amount. There are going to be a ton of people that do hate that you guys spend and no spending isn't a bad thing when it is done wisely....Time will decide that but to talk about the mentality of the forum when all you guys are doing in return in trolling any anti argument made against your team is a bit ludicrous. When you pronounce your team favorites when they have done nothing to help back up your opinion there will be hate.

More-Than-Most
11-10-2012, 03:19 AM

The haters are my motivators #BamSucka

Dodgers fans need to be more mature and ignore people who regardless of what happens are going to talk down on them.

Other fans need to be more mature and realize that spending money isn't always negative because in a few instances it's been negative. It's actually, most often, positive, which is strangely enough the opposite of negative.

You preach that but you seem to ignore it yourself. :shrug:

VRP723
11-10-2012, 03:27 AM
You preach that but you seem to ignore it yourself. :shrug:

I'm also admittedly an annoying troll. Other people are just bitter losers.

More-Than-Most
11-10-2012, 03:29 AM

Point taken. Glad we worked this out Lol

ZamboniCub
11-10-2012, 03:51 AM
here's the deal dodger fans... just 17 of ur players = roughly 186.55mill next year alone. before Ryu. you just came off bankruptcy. and didnt even make playoffs last year.

LASportsFan1996
11-10-2012, 03:54 AM
here's the deal dodger fans... just 17 of ur players = roughly 186.55mill next year alone. before Ryu. you just came off bankruptcy. and didnt even make playoffs last year.

Point?

ZamboniCub
11-10-2012, 03:55 AM
a loser is someone who expects to win and does not.... ( i . e . Karl Rove....) #mathyoudoasarepublicantomakeyourselffeelbetter

Halladay
11-10-2012, 03:57 AM

Until your team starts winning, it's pretty hard to make this statement with a straight face. You want your team spending money? great, I want the Jays to do the same but to blindly follow everything management does is absurd. I won't pretend I know much about the Korean guy from Street fighter but it seems like the status quo is to read a one paragraph scouting report you found on google then proclaim he's awesome.

ZamboniCub
11-10-2012, 04:00 AM
point is u aint won ****.

LASportsFan1996
11-10-2012, 04:10 AM
point is u aint won ****.

We haven't had much of a chance to win anything with this team, I don't get why people judge after 1 month of the team playing together, not saying you specifically but damn

1908_Cubs
11-10-2012, 04:11 AM
At first I wanted him, even at a $25m posting fee, but the more I think of it, the more I'm glad the Cubs don't appear to be the winner. Reports on him vary wildly, with him sitting between high 80's and low 90's. If he's low 90's he's a viable starter. At high 80's.....he's not. Some reports have said he's a reliever. Well...if he's a reliever....simply put, $25m posting, plus the contract he'll get? It's not worth it. At all. He's probably looking at $10m a year, minimum, after that posting. Is he really worth $60m all told (my guess is he gets 4/$40 or something around that if someone is willing to post at $25m)? For an upside number 3, and a downside middle reliever with no track record in America? I really don't know.

Lastly, the Cubs were the first major market US team to really take to the Korean market. They've been one of the best scouting teams in that region. With no doubt that they've heard of, and seen this guy in their scouting in the past, and if they weren't the team who bid $25.......you've got to think they have seen something they didn't think was worth it to go that high. So I'll also trust in my scouting department.

In the end, I think the posting fee is too high when all things are considered. If the Cubs won, then great, but really, the more I think of it, the more I think this just isn't a good move.....for whomever won. And the more I read, the closer to Kei Igawa he reminds me of, and less of a true number 3.

VRP723
11-10-2012, 04:12 AM
Until your team starts winning, it's pretty hard to make this statement with a straight face. You want your team spending money? great, I want the Jays to do the same but to blindly follow everything management does is absurd. I won't pretend I know much about the Korean guy from Street fighter but it seems like the status quo is to read a one paragraph scouting report you found on google then proclaim he's awesome.

Nope, it's actually the opposite. We have no ****ing idea if he's good or not, so to say either is foolish and immature. We'll see. All we know is the Dodgers like him enough to pay this money.

PraiseJesus
11-10-2012, 04:14 AM
Dan ‏@MyKBO
OSEN is reporting that a still unknown MLB team bid $25,737,737.33 for Ryu Hyun-jin and the Hanwha Eagles have accepted.

WOW!

33 cents they are insane!

VRP723
11-10-2012, 04:14 AM
At first I wanted him, even at a $25m posting fee, but the more I think of it, the more I'm glad the Cubs don't appear to be the winner. Reports on him vary wildly, with him sitting between high 80's and low 90's. If he's low 90's he's a viable starter. At high 80's.....he's not. Some reports have said he's a reliever. Well...if he's a reliever....simply put, $25m posting, plus the contract he'll get? It's not worth it. At all. He's probably looking at $10m a year, minimum, after that posting. Is he really worth $60m all told (my guess is he gets 4/$40 or something around that if someone is willing to post at $25m)? For an upside number 3, and a downside middle reliever with no track record in America? I really don't know.

Lastly, the Cubs were the first major market US team to really take to the Korean market. They've been one of the best scouting teams in that region. With no doubt that they've heard of, and seen this guy in their scouting in the past, and if they weren't the team who bid $25.......you've got to think they have seen something they didn't think was worth it to go that high. So I'll also trust in my scouting department.

In the end, I think the posting fee is too high when all things are considered. If the Cubs won, then great, but really, the more I think of it, the more I think this just isn't a good move.....for whomever won. And the more I read, the closer to Kei Igawa he reminds me of, and less of a true number 3.
Or maybe the Cubs were really high on him, but thought that 25.6 million dollar posting fee would get him. There's no way of knowing what their opinions of him are.

1908_Cubs
11-10-2012, 04:19 AM

Well....lets not go that far. How many of those 8 year contracts that have been handed out in FA been good all 8 years? Most of them are good in the interim, and then, really bad at the end. You have to qualify that.

Secondly, just look at the players the Dodgers have acquired with the big price tags. Carl Crawford? The Red Sox wanted to jettison that contract. Hanley Ramirez? The Marlins wanted to jettison that contract. Josh Beckett? The Red Sox wanted to jettison that contract. There are three examples of spending money working out poorly on the roster right this moment, so it's not as cut and dry as "most often....positive".

Spending money on your franchise is always done to help....but it needs to be done intelligently, and with, even the slightest air of caution. I think you'd be right if you said "most often it works out in the short run", because, most of the mega contracts help immediately. But I also think it's fools gold to say that most often, these big contracts are positive...because honestly, I cannot think of more than a very small handful of these big-contracts given out to late 20's and early 30's players that have ever, truly worked out for more than the front half. There will come a time, probably in under 3 years, and possibly under 2, that these deals become a hindrance to the Dodgers, and I think that's the message Dodgers fans tend to be ignoring.

The Dodgers have a very good baseball team in 2013 and probably 2014. After that...it's very murky. It can quickly go from great team, to good core surrounded by crappy players, to a crappy team after that due to the contracts, and when people mention the Dodgers' questionable interim spending, I think this is the caution they're preaching.

1908_Cubs
11-10-2012, 04:29 AM
Or maybe the Cubs were really high on him, but thought that 25.6 million dollar posting fee would get him. There's no way of knowing what their opinions of him are.

Certainly possible, but I really feel unlikely. $25m is about $10m more than was originally expected to be the winning posting fee, and this is something that has been mentioned by a Korean poster (who was also the first in our forum to find the winning posting fee from a Korean outlet, even prior to any major source), and someone in our forum who's known to have ties to multiple professional scouts and sources (who told him, anyone who posted over $12m was kidding themselves). It's when I start hearing things like this that I think the $25.7m posting fee was quite a bit higher than most other teams.

I'm not certain however, It's simple conjecture. And honestly? I'm not so much concerned about the posting fee, but the total commitment to him. But we do know that opinions on him vary wildly. Reports have him tagged as anywhere between reliever and number 3 SP, anywhere between high 80's and low 90's in velocity. That's the more important thing here. It's a case where, if he's low 90's velocity and can be an MLB quality number 3, the contract probably lives up to his value when you consider posting fee. But for that same $50-70m total investment, someone like Edwin Jackson could have been had, who's a much more known commodity. And that's where my issue is. I think it's an overpayment (by anyone, and if the Cubs have won, and reports are wrong, you'll hear me echo the same sentmiments, so it's not an anti LA thing, it's really an anti-this-price, thing) on the market for someone who could really end up a lot of places on the floor/ceiling scale.

rcs15
11-10-2012, 04:31 AM
He is supposedly the best pitcher in Korea, and he'll be less money than Greinke who wants 25 million a year. The Dodgers are building an all-star team.

Best pitcher in Korea doesn't mean a whole ton.

Chucky Woods
11-10-2012, 04:42 AM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:Enlighten me who else do they have??? Ethier is atrocious against lefties so he is basically a platoon hitter. Crawford is injured all season. Beckett is washed up and so is A-Gonz. Dee Gordon can only run and do nothing else. Hanley is a shell of his former self. A.J. Ellis and Capuano are decent.

What am I missing here.

LASportsFan1996
11-10-2012, 04:45 AM
AGon is washed up, .300 110 RBI is my kind of washed up then

Chucky Woods
11-10-2012, 04:52 AM
BTW I am not "hating" I'm just breaking down the team based on stats and what they got.

From what I see they are going to have a tough time competing with the Giants and gonna have to really fight for a playoff spot. It would be crazy with that amount of money spent and not making the playoffs.

Halladay
11-10-2012, 04:53 AM
Nope, it's actually the opposite. We have no ****ing idea if he's good or not, so to say either is foolish and immature. We'll see. All we know is the Dodgers like him enough to pay this money.

But as long as you're spending money right?

Chucky Woods
11-10-2012, 05:03 AM
AGon is washed up, .300 110 RBI is my kind of washed up thenI shouldn't have said washed up, I should have said not what he used to be. Last year with 2 teams he had 3.6 WAR a gross under performance for the contract he is under. He was decent last year but nowhere near his all star past.

Also RBI's aren't a very good indication of a hitter's value. so....

Chucky Woods
11-10-2012, 05:08 AM
I also heard he was not much of a power pitcher in Korea, and the balls are smaller there so you have to take that into account. He's got a plus changeup also. Crazy bid for a kid that is a crapshoot though.

Halladay
11-10-2012, 05:16 AM
AGon is washed up, .300 110 RBI is my kind of washed up then

If you're going to make a sarcastic remark, usually it's a good idea to actually post a relevant stat.

ciaban
11-10-2012, 06:16 AM
Exactly I'm gonna laugh my *** off when the Dodgers are terrible. They got Kemp and Kershaw that's all.
if you are going to laugh your *** off when they are terrible, what are you going to do if they are good? Like if they make the playoffs will you not laugh your *** off? What if they are just mediocre, not awful not great like a 85-89 win team?

i don't know if this is the dodgers who signed him first of all, secondly, who ever did get him has him for 25 million over the life of the contract instead of 25 to grienke over 1 year.

A lot of guys dont transition well from other countries. Darvish definitely didnt live up to the hype
Darvish went to an extreem pitchers park in a place that is hotter than hell to pitch in, and has only 1 year of experience under his belt, i think the jury is still out on him considering he has only been here 1 year, lets give it 3 years.
Btw what about Hedeo Nomo, or Hiroki Kuroda?

I shouldn't have said washed up, I should have said not what he used to be. Last year with 2 teams he had 3.6 WAR a gross under performance for the contract he is under. He was decent last year but nowhere near his all star past.

Also RBI's aren't a very good indication of a hitter's value. so....

the only thing that really worries me about Adrian was the drop in home runs, he is still crapping out doubles for breakfast and all his other numbers were the same as they have always been, considering how big of a mess boston has been while he was with them, I'm not surprised it got into his head a little bit,
Hanley was coming off a shoulder injury had to learn a new position, saying he is a shell of his former self is a little premature, he still 20-20 in fact i am less worried about him than i am about kemp, he will be fine, and put up good numbers again,
Ethier does suck vs lefties, but he will be hitting further down in the order, and pitchers will have to go after him now that the order as a whole is better.
You forgot AJ Ellis, he is a pretty decent catcher, i would say top 5 NL and top 10 MLB. He also has a really good OBP

They got Kemp and Kershaw that's all.
Btw i am honestly surprised you or anyone else is giving Kershaw or Kemp credit at all, with the way people talk about this team, you would think that the dodgers spent 300 million on all scrubs who have zero competitive value.

Havoc Wreaker
11-10-2012, 09:03 AM
a fat korean zito. whatever its not so bad.

:laugh:

#hatersgonnahate
#YOLO
#Yourhatemotivates

Scully in 2012
11-10-2012, 10:52 AM
This guy looks decent but to pay 25 mil. (Plus 10+ per year) For and unproven player with a suspected ceiling of a # 3 is absurd. That said, I hope it isn't the Dodgers.

I get we have an apparent unlimited amount of money but I would much rather use that money on a proven guy such as Kuroda, Lohse, Haren, Sanchez, etc.

There is nothing wrong with spending wisely.

AI
11-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Winner still hasn't been revealed?

AI
11-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Winner still hasn't been revealed?

showtym24
11-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Is he projected to be in the rotation on opening day?

AI
11-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal
MLB confirms that #Dodgers have won rights to Korean LHP Ryu. Now have 30 days to sign him.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/267295792950284288

jmkh
11-10-2012, 12:21 PM
it's official

Ken Gurnick ‏@kengurnick

The Dodgers are the winning bidder for Korean pitcher Ryu Hyun-Jin.

Tkais9009
11-10-2012, 12:34 PM
big surprise there

VRP723
11-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Is he projected to be in the rotation on opening day?

From what I was reading, yes.

I'm really intrigued to see what they do now. We have 6 SP on the roster, and to be honest I think there's a chance they sign another one. Wonder if they'd be able to trade Lilly for anything.

Rylinkus
11-10-2012, 12:35 PM
To me the posting fee seems high. It seems that money might be better spent on more known pitchers. LA will probably have 50+ million invested in him by the time it's all said and done.

jmkh
11-10-2012, 12:45 PM

I'm really intrigued to see what they do now. We have 6 SP on the roster, and to be honest I think there's a chance they sign another one. Wonder if they'd be able to trade Lilly for anything.

Lilly has 22.5mil with 2 years left. I highly doubt they can move him due to high salary and injury last year. Maybe Bills and Lilly's injury are more serious than thought and might need some time before he can come back.

Edit: My guess Capuano comes out of the bullpen

R. Johnson#3
11-10-2012, 12:46 PM
What a surprise.

VRP723
11-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Well....lets not go that far. How many of those 8 year contracts that have been handed out in FA been good all 8 years? Most of them are good in the interim, and then, really bad at the end. You have to qualify that.

Secondly, just look at the players the Dodgers have acquired with the big price tags. Carl Crawford? The Red Sox wanted to jettison that contract. Hanley Ramirez? The Marlins wanted to jettison that contract. Josh Beckett? The Red Sox wanted to jettison that contract. There are three examples of spending money working out poorly on the roster right this moment, so it's not as cut and dry as "most often....positive".

Spending money on your franchise is always done to help....but it needs to be done intelligently, and with, even the slightest air of caution. I think you'd be right if you said "most often it works out in the short run", because, most of the mega contracts help immediately. But I also think it's fools gold to say that most often, these big contracts are positive...because honestly, I cannot think of more than a very small handful of these big-contracts given out to late 20's and early 30's players that have ever, truly worked out for more than the front half. There will come a time, probably in under 3 years, and possibly under 2, that these deals become a hindrance to the Dodgers, and I think that's the message Dodgers fans tend to be ignoring.

The Dodgers have a very good baseball team in 2013 and probably 2014. After that...it's very murky. It can quickly go from great team, to good core surrounded by crappy players, to a crappy team after that due to the contracts, and when people mention the Dodgers' questionable interim spending, I think this is the caution they're preaching.

No one ever argued that the 2017 Dodgers are in good shape. The 2013 Dodgers, however, are most likely going to be really good, and the people denying that just aren't looking at things objectively. They won 86 games last season with replacement level production at 1B for 60% of the year, and below replacement level production from SS and LF for over half the season. We don't need Hanley, Crawford or A-Gon to be 6 win players again to be successful. We just need decent production.

It's fair to say all this spending could eventually backfire, it's foolish to say the 2013 Dodgers are going to suck.

VRP723
11-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Lilly has 22.5mil with 2 years left. I highly doubt they can move him due to high salary and injury last year. Maybe Bills injury is more serious than thought and might need some time before he can come back.

He has one year left at 13 million.

jmkh
11-10-2012, 12:50 PM
To me the posting fee seems high. It seems that money might be better spent on more known pitchers. LA will probably have 50+ million invested in him by the time it's all said and done.

For what its worth

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
on lhp Ryu, hear there was at least 1 more bid in $20M range. so winning bid of $25,737,737 wasnt way high. some see as SP

Also, Dodgers will probably get a good chunk back from ticket sales (huge korean community in So Cal) and marketing

jmkh
11-10-2012, 12:52 PM
He has one year left at 13 million.

lol you're right i guess i thought 2012 season hasnt started

Yankee Clipper
11-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Yowzers.

Killer Clown
11-10-2012, 01:09 PM
I hope the Dodgers lose 100 games this season.

northsider
11-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Really know nothing about him other then a few spotty reports and conflicting articles.

However should be a good get for the Dodgers they seem to be on over drive in the off season.

Should be a fun team to watch this upcoming season.

DodgerB24
11-10-2012, 01:29 PM
I'll be shocked if we don't trade some pieces before the start of the season.

KB24PG16
11-10-2012, 01:31 PM
damn

The1_Who_knocks
11-10-2012, 01:41 PM
No way dodgers lose 100 games this year

SenorGato
11-10-2012, 02:05 PM
No way dodgers lose 100 games this year

With that kind of inefficient payroll it's going to be alot more. Kershaw and Kemp are just burdened with more expensive mediocrity around them.

Rylinkus
11-10-2012, 02:09 PM
With that kind of inefficient payroll it's going to be alot more. Kershaw and Kemp are just burdened with more expensive mediocrity around them.

I'm not really sure you can classify the rest of the players on that team as Mediocre. Gonzalez is certainly not a mediocre ball player. Maybe Loney was. Ethier is certainly a good ball player. Are we all simply hating the Dodgers now?

giants73756
11-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Knew it would be the Dodgers. What other team would bid a stupid amount like $xx,737,737.33?

SenorGato
11-10-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm not really sure you can classify the rest of the players on that team as Mediocre. Gonzalez is certainly not a mediocre ball player. Maybe Loney was. Ethier is certainly a good ball player. Are we all simply hating the Dodgers now?

Yes. Stop spending money, it's not the Right Way.

Also, I'm almost willing to put money on Carl Crawford being better than Andre Ethier moving forward. Ethier can't hit lefties, can't play defense, can't run...meh. I get that I'm supposed to react to an extreme to his past 2 years, but a guy who's been a 5 WAR player his whole career didn't suddenly forget how to play because he got recognized, paid, and dared to age.

Gritz
11-10-2012, 02:22 PM
My favorite street fighter. Hadouken!

Rylinkus
11-10-2012, 02:47 PM

Also, I'm almost willing to put money on Carl Crawford being better than Andre Ethier moving forward. Ethier can't hit lefties, can't play defense, can't run...meh. I get that I'm supposed to react to an extreme to his past 2 years, but a guy who's been a 5 WAR player his whole career didn't suddenly forget how to play because he got recognized, paid, and dared to age.

Despite all the spending, let's not pretend there aren't some other solid players on that team. That's all I'm saying. I'm not expecting Ramirez, Crawford, or Ethier to be MVP candidates. But I certainly think they're going to be good players that helps the team. To not expect this team to be a playoff team going forward is insane.

Nomar
11-10-2012, 02:49 PM
I think the Dodgers will be a good team, but not a World Series team. Their spending will hurt them eventually though.

The 6-4-3
11-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I think the Dodgers will be a good team, but not a World Series team. Their spending will hurt them eventually though.

Our lack of spending has hurt us for years!
McCourt passed on all the big names AND killed our scouting and international development for new young players.

We have to spend cause we have no great prospects we can bring up that will make a difference in 2-3 years

PraiseJesus
11-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Why does Ryu look like Gangnam style?

Scully in 2012
11-10-2012, 03:17 PM
:laugh::laugh:

If you won $100,000,000.33 in the lottery what would you do? According to your logic "it's not the right way" you would not spend it. No new house, no new car, no new clothes, no new TV, no new whatever. No upgrading your lie, at all. You would keep your job and only life off of your earnings from that job, right?

I know this will sound crazy but I'm guessing your principles would fly out the window very quickly.

There is no reason to believe the Dodgers will spend like this forever, they have said they will not. This is a temporary - get the fans and sponsors (TV deal) back and rebuild this franchise. You have to remember that Mc****o completely ruined this team. Our farm system is crap. What we did have we traded away to get anything we could. It will take at least 5-7 years to rebuild the farm system. During that time they will spend on the best players we can get to build a competitive team. It's a pretty simple concept.

PraiseJesus
11-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Wow! !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOkBrH8hnXc

I guess Ryu frequents Dodgers Stadium already

Mell413
11-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Gato is being sarcastic

SenorGato
11-10-2012, 04:02 PM
If you won $100,000,000.33 in the lottery what would you do? According to your logic "it's not the right way" you would not spend it. No new house, no new car, no new clothes, no new TV, no new whatever. No upgrading your lie, at all. You would keep your job and only life off of your earnings from that job, right?

Um, yes? I still have The Future to worry about.

VRP723
11-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Lol, I'm beginning to like this SenorGato guy

ciaban
11-10-2012, 04:17 PM
an inefficient payroll isn't going to loose them 100 games, that is just ridiculous, there would need to be a lot of injuries for that to happen. that is as silly as Jeffy saying that we wont win 85 games again after this year.

they have like 40 mill coming off the books next year, and even more the year after, only like 20 mill or so in 2016, but then all these big contracts start coming off the books, and i am sure Ned&Co are well aware of all this, i don't think they will spend stupid money forever, if they win one soon awesome if not oh well, but i believe to much in stan kasten to think they can't do it.

CHRISDODGERS
11-10-2012, 04:18 PM
ye go Dodgee[s

LASportsFan1996
11-10-2012, 04:22 PM

I'll be shocked if we don't trade some pieces before the start of the season.

Trade Capuano is what makes sense to me, Lilly if at all possible too

I hope the Dodgers lose 100 games this season.

:laugh:

giants73756
11-10-2012, 04:25 PM
they have like 40 mill coming off the books next year, and even more the year after, only like 20 mill or so in 2016, but then all these big contracts start coming off the books, and i am sure Ned&Co are well aware of all this, i don't think they will spend stupid money forever, if they win one soon awesome if not oh well, but i believe to much in stan kasten to think they can't do it.
What contacts are expiring soon? Your worst contacts like Crawford will be around for years to come.

LASportsFan1996
11-10-2012, 04:27 PM
What contacts are expiring soon? Your worst contacts like Crawford will be around for years to come.

Not really the huge contracts, but Lilly, Capuano, Harang, Ellis, Guerrier etc are gonna walk next year

giants73756
11-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Trade Capuano is what makes sense to me, Lilly if at all possible too
Of course you'd want to trade away your worst starter, just don't expect to get anything good for him in return.

LASportsFan1996
11-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Of course you'd want to trade away your worst starter, just don't expect to get anything good for him in return.

Never said I expect anything much back, expect for him cleared off our roster

VRP723
11-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Cap makes the most sense to trade. Harang would be a better fit as a swingman, and Cap with his history of arm troubles wouldn't fit in that role.

rcs15
11-10-2012, 04:50 PM
I really hope this is the Dodgers big starting pitching move.

Inb4 they sign Greinke next week

LASportsFan1996
11-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Dylan Hernandez ‏@dylanohernandez
The #Dodgers view Ryu as a starter. But even if they sign him, they will continue to pursue the likes of Greinke and Kuroda.

Good ****

rcs15
11-10-2012, 04:52 PM
an inefficient payroll isn't going to loose them 100 games, that is just ridiculous, there would need to be a lot of injuries for that to happen. that is as silly as Jeffy saying that we wont win 85 games again after this year.

Kershaw will eat up a large portion or that. They do have money coming off the books, but it's going to be very difficult for them not to have a 200+ mil payroll the next few years.

I don't doubt they can afford it, but they are still going to have to spend stupid money for a while.

sacgiants1213
11-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Hopefully Scutaroid can hit this guy.

DodgerB24
11-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Hopefully Scutaroid can hit this guy.

Scutoro could hit prime Pedro.

CHRISDODGERS
11-10-2012, 05:34 PM
I wanted to trade for Scutaro last season :(

Scully in 2012
11-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Um, yes? I still have The Future to worry about.

:bs: :laugh:

Lol, I'm beginning to like this SenorGato guy

Me too. He is a little stinky from all that crap he is slinging but he is funny.

Side note: You have the most disturbing SIG ever. Creeps me out.:hide:

SenorGato
11-10-2012, 06:07 PM

Name a great team without an efficient payroll.

The Rays have basically built a dynasty within the sport - two division titles and one WS trip is comparable to winning the WS multiple times - and they do it as efficiently as anyone has ever done it. All it took was a decade of top 8 picks including 4 #1 overall picks and at least seven top 3 picks aka The Right Way.

You can't buy wins with money. You buy wins with losses and prospects. It's science. Now the Rays don't even have to spend money to win ever, they'll just always win because they made the sacrifice the Dodgers were too dumb to even know you have to make.

Ask Matt Kemp or Clayton Kershaw if they're happy the Dodgers spent money in a clearly desperate attempt to win...Those guys are right in the middle of their primes and now they have to deal with the egos of other well paid veterans rather than a clubhouse of hardworking, humble, winning, guaranteed to succeed, cheap, young prospects like they themselves once were.

Scully in 2012
11-10-2012, 06:23 PM

The Rays have basically built a dynasty within the sport - two division titles and one WS trip is comparable to winning the WS multiple times - and they do it as efficiently as anyone has ever done it. All it took was a decade of top 8 picks including 4 #1 overall picks and at least seven top 3 picks aka The Right Way.

You can't buy wins with money. You buy wins with losses and prospects. It's science. Now the Rays don't even have to spend money to win ever, they'll just always win because they made the sacrifice the Dodgers were too dumb to even know you have to make.

Ask Matt Kemp or Clayton Kershaw if they're happy the Dodgers spent money in a clearly desperate attempt to win...Those guys are right in the middle of their primes and now they have to deal with the egos of other well paid veterans rather than a clubhouse of hardworking, humble, winning, guaranteed to succeed, cheap, young prospects like they themselves once were.

"All it took was a decade of top 8 picks including 4 #1 overall picks and at least seven top 3 picks"

The Dodgers and their fans do NOT want to wait another decade before they can produce a winning team. They/We have waited long enough. The idea is to put a winner on the field TODAY and begin to build the farm system for the future. It is idiotic to expect them to have a crap team for the next "decade" until they can rebuild. :facepalm:

"the Dodgers were too dumb to even know you have to make."

Again, McDicko ruined our team. He would not allow us to draft the top players due to signing bonuses. So, as a result, our farm system is depleted. Time to rebuild it....:punish:

"Ask Matt Kemp or Clayton Kershaw if they're happy the Dodgers spent money in a clearly desperate attempt to win"

These two could care less what the team spends on other players. Kemp is filthy rich and Kershaw will be very soon. What they care about is playing for a winning team every year.

Players get pissed when a team will not spend money to build a winning team not when they spend too much.:facepalm:

And remember, Kemp was very vocal about signing Prince Fielder - he was all for it...totally blows your theory.

PS. I changed my Sig just for you!

VRP723
11-10-2012, 06:27 PM
"All it took was a decade of top 8 picks including 4 #1 overall picks and at least seven top 3 picks"

The Dodgers and their fans do NOT want to wait another decade before they can produce a winning team. They/We have waited long enough. The idea is to put a winner on the field TODAY and begin to build the farm system for the future. It is idiotic to expect them to have a crap team for the next "decade" until they can rebuild. :facepalm:

"the Dodgers were too dumb to even know you have to make."

Again, McDicko ruined our team. He would not allow us to draft the top players due to signing bonuses. So, as a result, our farm system is depleted. Time to rebuild it....:punish:

"Ask Matt Kemp or Clayton Kershaw if they're happy the Dodgers spent money in a clearly desperate attempt to win"

These two could care less what the team spends on other players. Kemp is filthy rich and Kershaw will be very soon. What they care about is playing for a winning team every year.

Players get pissed when a team will not spend money to build a winning team not when they spend too much.:facepalm:

And remember, Kemp was very vocal about signing Prince Fielder - he was all for it...totally blows your theory.

PS. I changed my Sig just for you!

Have you not got yet that he's being sarcastic?

Scully in 2012
11-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Have you not got yet that he's being sarcastic?

:eyebrow: Nope.... Neither am I...:eyebrow: I even changed my Sig just for him.

Cracka2HI!
11-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Not really the huge contracts, but Lilly, Capuano, Harang, Ellis, Guerrier etc are gonna walk next year

Not to mention to worst contract of them all...Uribe.

LASportsFan1996
11-10-2012, 06:35 PM

Thanks, I knew I forgot somebody, that is the worst contract of them all

VRP723
11-10-2012, 06:37 PM
:eyebrow: Nope.... Neither am I...:eyebrow: I even changed my Sig just for him.

He's mocking everyone. You wasted all this time in an argument with someone who agrees with you.

Scully in 2012
11-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks, I knew I forgot somebody, that is the worst contract of them all

Are we done paying Manny and Andruw Jones next year?

Scully in 2012
11-10-2012, 06:39 PM
He's mocking everyone. You wasted all this time in an argument with someone who agrees with you.

My wife thinks I am doing something important on the computer and is leaving me alone. Its either this or get nagged, complained at and ultimately forced to complete a "honey - do" list....I think I will keep typing.:shush:

I get it. But if he s going to be sarcastic why cant we play along?

mikekhelxD
11-10-2012, 06:39 PM

When we signed Uribe, he is probably the best one the team could get since most of the money is strapped onto McCourts' mansions.

How things have changed.

LASportsFan1996
11-10-2012, 06:43 PM

Are we done paying Manny and Andruw Jones next year?

Manny will be done after next year, but we'll still be paying Andrew Jones in 2014 also

VRP723
11-10-2012, 06:43 PM
My wife thinks I am doing something important on the computer and is leaving me alone. Its either this or get nagged, complained at and ultimately forced to complete a "honey - do" list....I think I will keep typing.:shush:

I get it. But if he s going to be sarcastic why cant we play along?

Lol, fair enough

Scully in 2012
11-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Manny will be done after next year, but we'll still be paying Andrew Jones in 2014 also

:facepalm:

SenorGato
11-10-2012, 06:45 PM
What does losing those contracts save you - 20 maybe 25 million? I'm too lazy to check, but I know it doesn't matter. It's still a horribly inefficient roster and you still need to fill key spots on the roster like passable starting 2B, 4/5/6 starter, and whatever Guerrier and Uribe do.

Scully in 2012
11-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Lol, fair enough

My 7 year old son: "Daddy, why is their a naked man with a baseball bat on your computer?"

Thanks, Pal....:eyebrow:

Scully in 2012
11-10-2012, 06:49 PM
What does losing those contracts save you - 20 maybe 25 million? I'm too lazy to check, but I know it doesn't matter. It's still a horribly inefficient roster and you still need to fill key spots on the roster like passable starting 2B, 4/5/6 starter, and whatever Guerrier and Uribe do.

Just so you know, Uribe is filling in nicely as asst. equipment manager and concessions consumer.

LASportsFan1996
11-10-2012, 06:52 PM

This is what is coming off the books, with 3 of them having 1 M buyouts for next year, might be missing some

Capuano: 6M this year
Lilly: 12 M this year
Harang: 7M this year
Ellis: 5.2 M this year
Uribe: 8 M this year
Guerrier: 4.75 M this year
Manny: 4M this year
Hairston: 3.75 M this year
Punto: 1.5 M this year

Scully in 2012
11-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Lilly and Uribe alone will pay for Grienke. we may have to add Manny in there too.

VRP723
11-10-2012, 07:01 PM
This is what is coming off the books, with 3 of them having 1 M buyouts for next year, might be missing some

Capuano: 6M this year
Lilly: 12 M this year
Harang: 7M this year
Ellis: 5.2 M this year
Uribe: 8 M this year
Guerrier: 4.75 M this year
Manny: 4M this year
Hairston: 3.75 M this year
Punto: 1.5 M this year

That's 50 mill, figure a Kershaw extension will be around 20 per, but still, we'll have at least 20 million to play with next offseason.

LA RO
11-10-2012, 07:11 PM
The #Dodgers view Ryu as a starter. But even if they sign him, they will continue to pursue the likes of Greinke and Kuroda.

lol, please
11-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Go Dodgers! :clap:

SenorGato
11-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Wow. Are you really that dense? :facepalm:

He was just humoring me I think. I had fun.

CHRISDODGERS
11-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Go Dodgers! :clap:

:D yay!

Scully in 2012
11-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Wow. Are you really that dense? :facepalm:

He was just humoring me I think. I had fun.

Read my previous post to VRP....

It was painfully obvious that you were being a smartass...why not play along. I thought changing my sig - just for you - was a nice touch. ;)

Jeffy25
11-10-2012, 10:31 PM
couldnt teams just do that, fail to negotiate and block a team from signing him?

You have to negotiate 'in good faith' otherwise the player is up for auction again in the same year.

Jeffy25
11-10-2012, 10:33 PM

I love when people make this argument, as if that is how the Rays became good.

Take a look at the talent they got in those picks.

Longoria and Price are the only one's worth a damn to them.

It's not like they were assembled by getting hall of fame caliber players consistently with top picks. This team was assembled starting in 2006, when the team was bought, and was good by 2008.

ciaban
11-11-2012, 02:40 AM
Lilly 12
Uribe 8
Harang 7
Capuano 6
Mark Ellis 4.75
Gurrier 4.5
Manny 4
and some others that i am forgetting.

I'd assume the posting fee doesn't count towards the luxury tax. For a team on the brink of such, not the worst use of resources (assuming this guy isn't Dice K 2.0).
the fact that we have spent half as much tells me he wont be as bad as Dice K, hopefully he is the Korean Hiroki Kuroda

Kershaw will eat up a large portion or that. They do have money coming off the books, but it's going to be very difficult for them not to have a 200+ mil payroll the next few years.

I don't doubt they can afford it, but they are still going to have to spend stupid money for a while.
keershaw hanley and bills are the only ones they really need to resign, and the only free agent i really want is Mat Latos, i guess Posey too, but that's more just to piss off Giants fans. There is a lot of money coming off in 2014 along with 2015 and then the big deals start to disappear, so it's really not that bad, hopefully we will have developed a good minor league system by that point.

1)the yankees in 2009
2)What the rays did isn't comparable to what the giants have done over the last 3 years.
3)You don't need a decade of top 10 picks to build a good minor league system, signing international free agents is another way, but you can make a pretty good system out of late first rounders too, i mean if tampa was so great at scouting and drafting then why didn't they get mike trout?
4)actually they need to spend to lock players up, also, if they trade a guy say shields, and the haul sucks they are screwed
5)most players like winning.

Agree to disagree, but if fun was had by all....that's coo too.

thanks Mom! :p

raidersrock99
11-11-2012, 03:46 AM
Cool keep spending money and losing! Giants will let scoots and gritty vets lead us to victory

UPRock
11-11-2012, 04:12 AM
This guy reminds me of Dice-K and in a bad way.

ciaban
11-11-2012, 07:05 AM

really? I mean i don't know to much about him so i can't say either way, but the dodgers will have half as much invested in him so who cares.

The 6-4-3
11-11-2012, 10:37 AM

really? I mean i don't know to much about him so i can't say either way, but the dodgers will have half as much invested in him so who cares.

The Dodgers always seem to pick the good Japanese players too. With Jazz Iahi probably being the least talented but even then he was a quality pitcher

ciaban
11-11-2012, 12:53 PM
You have to negotiate 'in good faith' otherwise the player is up for auction again in the same year.

he would go up for auction the following year, if he didn't hit free agency out right.

ciaban
11-11-2012, 12:55 PM
i like that this guy is left handed, so he doesn't need to throw triple digits to get outs.

rcs15
11-11-2012, 01:38 PM
i like that this guy is left handed, so he doesn't need to throw triple digits to get outs.

Nobody "needs" to throw triple digits to get out. However if reports of him throwing 89-90 are true, he better have impeccable command and that hyped changeup better be dominant or he's going to bust.

ciaban
11-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Nobody "needs" to throw triple digits to get out. However if reports of him throwing 89-90 are true, he better have impeccable command and that hyped changeup better be dominant or he's going to bust.

he is still pretty young, so maybe he can learn to throw harder, but i think he can be effective as a reliever even if he can't start.

rcs15
11-11-2012, 01:43 PM
he is still pretty young, so maybe he can learn to throw harder, but i think he can be effective as a reliever even if he can't start.

He is 25 years old. That is not young.

And your velocity does not increase with age. This should be his peak years velocity wise.

You can't just "learn to throw harder." It doesn't work like that.

If he is a 89-90 MPH guy then that is all he will ever be.

MetsFanatic19
11-11-2012, 02:05 PM

Huh? He may not really improve his velocity, but pitchers usually peak around 28,29,30. He's still young, especially since he'll be a rookie with many things to learn here in America.

MVPosey28
11-11-2012, 02:52 PM

And if he comes here to America and is just a mediocre pitcher...all hell is going to break loose in Dodgertown. I'm going to just sit back and laugh my ***** off.

rcs15
11-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Huh? He may not really improve his velocity, but pitchers usually peak around 28,29,30. He's still young, especially since he'll be a rookie with many things to learn here in America.

And that's the point of the post. Nothing says he has peaked in his ability, just his velocity is not going to get any higher. It's laughable to think he might "learn to throw harder as he gets older" when he's already in his mid 20s.

If he was 17 or 18 you could say as he fills out and ages he might add a few more MPH, but not now.

Pitchers usually hit their peak velocity in their early 20s, and Ryu is past that stage.

LASportsFan1996
11-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Ryu doesn't throw hard anyways, not worried about his velocity improving

Rush
11-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Ryu doesn't throw hard anyways, not worried about his velocity improving

But ciaban believes he can improve it.

MetsFanatic19
11-11-2012, 05:46 PM
And that's the point of the post. Nothing says he has peaked in his ability, just his velocity is not going to get any higher. It's laughable to think he might "learn to throw harder as he gets older" when he's already in his mid 20s.

If he was 17 or 18 you could say as he fills out and ages he might add a few more MPH, but not now.

Pitchers usually hit their peak velocity in their early 20s, and Ryu is past that stage.

I see what you're getting at now. I assume you meant 25 isn't young for improving velocity. My fault.

VRP723
11-11-2012, 05:49 PM
And if he comes here to America and is just a mediocre pitcher...all hell is going to break loose in Dodgertown. I'm going to just sit back and laugh my ***** off.

I think you're confusing us with a team that isn't already loaded with good players. This guy is not a centerpiece, he's a role player.

gaughan333
11-11-2012, 06:14 PM

Is your sig a video of a bus driver punching a woman?

Jeffy25
11-11-2012, 06:33 PM
he would go up for auction the following year, if he didn't hit free agency out right.

He can be auctioned for again this year, if the Dodgers just bid on him with no intention of actually signing him.

note, I am not saying they did this, I am responding to a poster who asked that question specifically.

SenorGato
11-11-2012, 06:40 PM
I love when people make this argument, as if that is how the Rays became good.

Take a look at the talent they got in those picks.

Longoria and Price are the only one's worth a damn to them.

It's not like they were assembled by getting hall of fame caliber players consistently with top picks. This team was assembled starting in 2006, when the team was bought, and was good by 2008.

Huh? BJ Upton has long been a highly productive player for them....Delmon Young got them Matt Garza... and if you expand it - draft position allowed them to draft Matt Moore, who the Cubs were going to select later in that 8th round but the Rays got wind of it and took him with their earlier pick.

Yes, Price and Longoria are the keepers - both were the top rated player in their draft - but on top of two elite talents they landed some really key players. Only recently is their farm system coming down from that wave of talent too, and we're seeing a drop as they pick lower in the draft.

Also interesting to note is how Price, Upton, and Longoria - 1, 2, and 3 in their drafts - put up so much more value than the #4 pick on the roster (Jeff Neimann). A microcosm of the historic WAR values of draft picks...big dropoff after the first three picks.

Jeffy25
11-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Huh? BJ Upton has long been a highly productive player for them....Delmon Young got them Matt Garza... and if you expand it - draft position allowed them to draft Matt Moore, who the Cubs were going to select later in that 8th round but the Rays got wind of it and took him with their earlier pick.

Yes, Price and Longoria are the keepers - both were the top rated player in their draft - but on top of two elite talents they landed some really key players. Only recently is their farm system coming down from that wave of talent too, and we're seeing a drop as they pick lower in the draft.

Also interesting to note is how Price, Upton, and Longoria - 1, 2, and 3 in their drafts - put up so much more value than the #4 pick on the roster (Jeff Neimann). A microcosm of the historic WAR values of draft picks...big dropoff after the first three picks.

And what about
Dewon Brazelton
Rocco Baldelli
Josh Hamilton
Wade Townsend

These are draft picks BEFORE the current ownership group (as well was Neimann) and all were top 10 picks.

The team was not built by having decades of horrible seasons and stock piling top draft picks. They passed on guys like Tex because of signing bonus demands, and passed on great players because of Naomi their owner. They were ran like a cheap organization. New ownership who put a focus on drafting and developing is what changed the organization around. And a completely new culture.

They had a scout obsessed with Pujols, who thought he was a first round talent. He resigned when they didn't even draft him in the 12th round. They were a horrible culture, who didn't even have internet in their offices until the new ownership bought them.

The year they took Longoria.

They could have taken Lincoln, Miller, Morrow, Stubbs, Rowell

They were wise when they took Longoria and developed him, and then extended him a month into his big league career. They did not get Hochevar or Reynolds who went ahead of him.

In 07 they could have taken Moustakas or Vitters, but they believed in Price. Wise of them.

This is new culture for a new organization that isn't made of dummies. Their only bad draft choice has been Tim Beckham, and he probably would have made the majors this year if not for failing a drug test (pot).

This is not a team that was assembled by having top draft picks.

They are a good team because of Ben Zobrist (traded for Aubrey Huff), Fernando Rodney (cheap FA), Desmond Jennings (10th round), Matt Moore (8th round), Matt Joyce (trade for Edwin Jackson), Jeff Keppinger (FA), James Shields (16th round), Jeremy Hellickson (4th round).

This is a developed organization, and it's the new ownership group. Their farm system is still built. They had a rough year this year because of a lot of minor league injuries to their top prospects, but it won't stop them from developing more good, young talent.

This team has two top draft picks that are essential to them. Longoria and Price, and Longoria missed basically all of this season and they are still a 90 win team.

It's just false to say they are good because of several high draft picks. It's simply not true.

08 and 09 were not their best drafts. In 08, they should have spent the money and taken Posey (obviously), and in 09 they didn't sign two of their guys (Washington and Diekroeger). But 10, 11, and 12 were all awesome drafts for the Rays, and their system is still very strong. They have really put a focal point on the international front lately as well (Jose Castillo, Rodriguez, and Jose Mujica). They are still widely considered a top 10 farm system in all of baseball. Right around where the Red Sox rank.

There is a very distinct pattern in this organization

ciaban
11-11-2012, 07:50 PM

And your velocity does not increase with age. This should be his peak years velocity wise.

You can't just "learn to throw harder." It doesn't work like that.

If he is a 89-90 MPH guy then that is all he will ever be.

i haven't seen this guys body, but adding muscle and getting stronger in certain places can help, so can technique, i think saying that he can add another 1-2 MPH isn't that crazy, i am not suggesting that he can hit triple digits.

ciaban
11-11-2012, 07:54 PM
jeffy in fairness to Rocco Baldeli, he was a crazy athletic guy who was always nagged down by some injury or another, Also, I think it's obvious with Hamilton, that was a good draft pick that really screwed things up for himself and the team, the problem is they traded him too soon.

ciaban
11-11-2012, 07:58 PM
But ciaban believes he can improve it.
what's crazy about thinking that he can add 1-2 mph, Timmy at times this year get over 88mph, but i don't think that has to be the way things will go the rest of his career, i don't see why he couldn't get back up to 91-3 consistently on the radar gun. I really don't see what's crazy about the idea that adding mussel and improving technique can help in how hard a pitcher can throw. I would appreciate some enlightenment on the subject though :)

He can be auctioned for again this year, if the Dodgers just bid on him with no intention of actually signing him.

note, I am not saying they did this, I am responding to a poster who asked that question specifically.
i understand, i thought that he couldn't be put back on the block and had to wait a year, no biggie.

it's interesting chris dodger can't call me an idiot but you can quote it and laugh at me, oh well. like i care what chris dodger thinks,

MetsFanatic19
11-11-2012, 08:05 PM
I have to agree with ciaban in that getting his velocity up to 91-92 wouldn't be a crazy thought. He could learn some new things, train better, etc. He will never hit 95+, but I think he could add 1 mph or 2 onto his fastball.

gaughan333
11-11-2012, 08:13 PM
what's crazy about thinking that he can add 1-2 mph, Timmy at times this year get over 88mph, but i don't think that has to be the way things will go the rest of his career, i don't see why he couldn't get back up to 91-3 consistently on the radar gun. I really don't see what's crazy about the idea that adding mussel and improving technique can help in how hard a pitcher can throw. I would appreciate some enlightenment on the subject though :)

i understand, i thought that he couldn't be put back on the block and had to wait a year, no biggie.

it's interesting chris dodger can't call me an idiot but you can quote it and laugh at me, oh well. like i care what chris dodger thinks,

How much muscle are you going to add to a 25 year old pitcher without affecting his flexibility? Also, how much of his technique are you going to change? 25 isn't old, but it's kinda late to be messing with these things.

Rush
11-11-2012, 08:29 PM

How will mussels effect how he pitches?

:D