PDA

View Full Version : So why is LaMarcus Aldridge not labeled 'soft'?

HouRealCoach
11-09-2012, 11:29 AM
I always see so much praise for this guy in this forum it is RIDICULOUS

He is 6'11, 240, always in great shape and has never averaged 9 rebounds or above, He has never made it out of the first round, He never averaged over 2 blocks... With that said he is always labeled as a top 5 PF & sometimes top 3 here

This guy has 'soft' & 'overrated' written all over him...

SteBO
11-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Mind you I don't hate LMA at all, he's a very good player in this league and is no question a top 6-10 PF. My issue is with the people that place him above Chris Bosh and even Blake Griffin to an extent. He's been good on the boards to start the year, but he's never been a consistently good rebounder and he makes little to no impact on the defensive end.

bucketss
11-09-2012, 11:35 AM
i thought everyone called him soft.

Gram
11-09-2012, 11:40 AM
I like him a lot but he is very overrated on this forum.

bucketss
11-09-2012, 11:46 AM
hes a top 5 pf i don't see how you can put 5 pfs over him.

Avenged
11-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Because stats

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-09-2012, 11:49 AM
wtf top 3 pf? lol

heyman321
he is soft, hardly rebounds

b@llhog24
Because "soft" is based on perception.

nycericanguy
11-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Because he's the flavor of the month.

Mind you he put up those big numbers last year on a bad team with no other legit scoring options.

People trash Amare for his rebounding, yet Amare averaged about 8rpg last year in 32mpg, LMA did 8rpg in 36mpg!

LMA's career FG% is 49%, Amare in his worst year last year shot 48%. Actually Amare's PER 36 offensive stats were pretty close to LMA's, yet Amare is "done" and nowhere near a top 5 pf anymore according to most.

Same with Bosh, Amare's numbers were very similar, yet Bosh is all of a sudden a top 3 PF and Amare nowhere near him.

Its all about the flavor of the month.

bucketss
11-09-2012, 11:51 AM
wtf top 3 pf? lol

love - drik - aldridge

HouRealCoach
11-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Love, Duncan, Griffin, Bosh, Randolph, Dirk, hell even Gasol...

& Amare has even averaged more rebounds & blocks than him in the past.. As a matter of a fact his highest rpg in his career is the same as Brook Lopez's lol.. that guy is SOFT

bucketss
11-09-2012, 11:54 AM

Mind you he put up those big numbers last year on a bad team with no other legit scoring options.

People trash Amare for his rebounding, yet Amare averaged about 8rpg last year in 32mpg, LMA did 8rpg in 36mpg!

LMA's career FG% is 49%, Amare in his worst year last year shot 48%. Actually Amare's PER 36 offensive stats were pretty close to LMA's, yet Amare is "done" and nowhere near a top 5 pf anymore according to most.

Same with Bosh, Amare's numbers were very similar, yet Bosh is all of a sudden a top 3 PF and Amare nowhere near him.

he put up similar numbers the year before when they made the playoffs.

nycericanguy
11-09-2012, 11:56 AM
he put up similar numbers the year before that when they made the playoffs.

yep, right aroung 50% shooting, not great, and still horrible rebounding and still couldn't get out of the first round.

He only scores more than the Amare's and Bosh's because he's the only real offensive option on his team and shoots more and plays alot more minutes.

I Rock Shaqs
11-09-2012, 11:56 AM
It's because he is american and black.

b@llhog24
11-09-2012, 11:57 AM

1) Defense. Amare doesn't know what that is.
2) This isn't PHX Amare
3) Amare's Ortg wasn't in LMA's stratosphere.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-09-2012, 11:57 AM
love - drik - aldridge

i think you mean

1. Love
2. Dirk
3. Gasoft
4. griffin/LA

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-09-2012, 11:58 AM
LA is def top 5.

HouRealCoach
11-09-2012, 11:59 AM

I agree about Amare but Bosh is better than them both but isn't that when you are supposed to put up points? & it was just 21 & 8

b@llhog24
11-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Love, Duncan, Griffin, Bosh, Randolph, Dirk, hell even Gasol...

& Amare has even averaged more rebounds & blocks than him in the past.. As a matter of a fact his highest rpg in his career is the same as Brook Lopez's lol.. that guy is SOFT

Over the course of a season LMA is more valuable to his team than Bosh, Duncan and Gasol. That's why he's ranked ahead of him. Also this isn't a lifetime achievement award. I hardly ever heard anybody call PHX Amar'e soft.

b@llhog24
11-09-2012, 12:01 PM
i agree about amare but bosh is better than them both but isn't that when you are supposed to put up points? & it was just 21 & 8

pace.

nycericanguy
11-09-2012, 12:03 PM
1) Defense. Amare doesn't know what that is.
2) This isn't PHX Amare
3) Amare's Ortg wasn't in LMA's stratosphere.

1) yes because LMA is some sort of defensive juggernaut :rolleyes:

2) I used numbers from LAST YEAR'S Amare, his worse season, not his PHO days.

3) thats one stat. Amare had a much higher DWS last year and much better rebounding numbers.

And finally, i'm not even suggesting that Amare had a better year, because he clearly didn't. I just find it funny how people act like LMA is on another stratosphere all of a sudden just because he scored more points, which was clearly the product of LMA being the only offensive option and taking more shots and playing more minutes than most other PF's. Put Bosh or Amare on POR as the #1 option and play them 36-38mpg and I'm sure they'd both easily put up 21 & 9.

bucketss
11-09-2012, 12:04 PM
i think you mean

1. Love
2. Dirk
3. Gasoft
4. griffin/LA

gasoft better than aldridge??

BALLER R
11-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Because on this forum the same player can be overrated and underrated for the same reasons.

b@llhog24
11-09-2012, 12:05 PM
LA is def top 5.

You're acting as if the seperation between these guys is so distinctive. Aside from Love and Dirk to a lesser extent it could go either way between 3-7.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-09-2012, 12:07 PM
gasoft better than aldridge??

for now.. im a bit skeptical with that choice.. but im sure with limited touches and age would catapult LA at the 3-4 spot.

but not yet..

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-09-2012, 12:07 PM
You're acting as if the seperation between these guys is so distinctive. Aside from Love and Dirk to a lesser extent it could go either way between 3-7.

true true.

HouRealCoach
11-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Over the course of a season LMA is more valuable to his team than Bosh, Duncan and Gasol. That's why he's ranked ahead of him. Also this isn't a lifetime achievement award. I hardly ever heard anybody call PHX Amar'e soft.

Bosh is MUCH better than LMA... It's just the way that the Heat has used him and turned him into a jump shooter on offense but you even saw last year how he played much better than Ibaka and Perkins last year on both ends of the floor. I don't like Gasol one bit but I would choose his solid all around game a lot more than a guy who can't block, rebound, or translate his game into many wins. & Amare averaged 25 & 8 until last year where he was hobbled with injuries and came in out of shape due to the lockout

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-09-2012, 12:08 PM
sigh remember the days amare was top 3? lol poor fella.

MrfadeawayJB
11-09-2012, 12:09 PM

this is actually right

also i'll add to it that he does not flop all the time or scream to get calls

bucketss
11-09-2012, 12:09 PM
LA is def top 5.

when you said ''wtf Aldridge top 3 pf?? you made it seem like he had no business being mentioned as a top 3 pf. you had him top 4. i have a hard time believing you think gasol is THAT much better than lamarcus if at all.

HouRealCoach
11-09-2012, 12:11 PM

3) thats one stat. Amare had a much higher DWS last year and much better rebounding numbers.

And finally, i'm not even suggesting that Amare had a better year, because he clearly didn't. I just find it funny how people act like LMA is on another stratosphere all of a sudden just because he scored more points, which was clearly the product of LMA being the only offensive option and taking more shots and playing more minutes than most other PF's. Put Bosh or Amare on POR as the #1 option and play them 36-38mpg and I'm sure they'd both easily put up 21 & 9.

Last time Amare was the number one option he put up 25 & 8 and was winning, while getting serious consideration to be MVP

Last time Bosh was the number one option he put up 23 & 11

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-09-2012, 12:12 PM
when you said ''wtf Aldridge top 3 pf?? you made it seem like he had no business being mentioned as a top 3 pf. you had him top 4. i have a hard time believing you think gasol is THAT much better than lamarcus

i dont.
so i wouldnt mind people placing him between 3-6. i was just responding to the OP that said that people place aldridge in top 3, and i havent seen that many ppl place him in top 3..

i do think Gasol is a better player than LA, but only slightly.

and i wouldnt be surprised if LA proves this year to be better than Gasol.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Because he's not European.

Lakers + Giants
11-09-2012, 12:13 PM

this. the only black player I've ever seen called soft is bosh, other than that I can't think of another player.

b@llhog24
11-09-2012, 12:14 PM

Doesn't have to be, a preschool girl is a better defender than Amar'e.

Except when you say that he had "X amount of years with a higher FG%" then it means that you're using his previous body of work within your evaluation. I have no problem with using historical precedent within an argument I just don't think in this case it's relevant seeing as Amare is about 2 seasons removed from his PHX years.

Amare's DWS are inflated due to playing on the fifth ranked defensive team last year. That's more of Chandler's and Shumps doing than Amare's

And finally, i'm not even suggesting that Amare had a better year, because he clearly didn't. I just find it funny how people act like LMA is on another stratosphere all of a sudden just because he scored more points,

Nope, people hype him up because he was underrated the year before. As a Knicks fan you'd think you would refrain from letting your evaluations of a player be influenced by the fans of said player. If that was the case Kris Kardashian would be better than Melo.

which was clearly the product of LMA being the only offensive option and taking more shots and playing more minutes than most other PF's. Put Bosh or Amare on POR as the #1 option and play them 36-38mpg and I'm sure they'd both easily put up 21 & 9.

Bosh? Sure. Amar'e of last year ain't touching those numbers.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-09-2012, 12:14 PM
this. the only black player I've ever seen called soft is bosh, other than that I can't think of another player.

Wade, Amar'e, Harden, etc.

Baller1
11-09-2012, 12:16 PM
He's not labeled soft because he's not soft.

He's absolutely a top 5 PF; last year was the first year in a while that he and his Blazers hadn't experienced success. Aldridge had a chance to be a part of a dynasty, but Roy and Oden's knees prevented that.

b@llhog24
11-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Bosh is MUCH better than LMA... It's just the way that the Heat has used him and turned him into a jump shooter on offense but you even saw last year how he played much better than Ibaka and Perkins last year on both ends of the floor. I don't like Gasol one bit but I would choose his solid all around game a lot more than a guy who can't block, rebound, or translate his game into many wins. & Amare averaged 25 & 8 until last year where he was hobbled with injuries and came in out of shape due to the lockout

Ok.

Last time Amare was the number one option he put up 25 & 8 and was winning, while getting serious consideration to be MVP

Last time Bosh was the number one option he put up 23 & 11

Problem with your points is, they all happened years ago. Look at it like this. Wade is a better player than Westbrook, but over the course of an 82 game season Westbrook is more VALUABLE. Lma being a top 3 pf is no shame to the game.

Well that's a first.

HouRealCoach
11-09-2012, 12:19 PM
i dont.
so i wouldnt mind people placing him between 3-6. i was just responding to the OP that said that people place aldridge in top 3, and i havent seen that many ppl place him in top 3..

i do think Gasol is a better player than LA, but only slightly.

and i wouldnt be surprised if LA proves this year to be better than Gasol.

I assume your top 3 is Love, Dirk & Gasol so how has he proved to be better than Randolph, Griffin, Bosh, & Amare?

b@llhog24
11-09-2012, 12:19 PM
He's not labeled soft because he's not soft.

He's absolutely a top 5 PF; last year was the first year in a while that he and his Blazers hadn't experienced success. Aldridge had a chance to be a part of a dynasty, but Roy and Oden's knees prevented that.

:nod:

Raps18-19 Champ
11-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Well that's a first.

I consider people who constantly flop as being soft.

b@llhog24
11-09-2012, 12:21 PM
I consider people who constantly flop as being soft.

I noticed the thread. But I mean I don't hear that Wade is soft that often.

nycericanguy
11-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Doesn't have to be, a preschool girl is a better defender than Amar'e.

Except when you say that he had "X amount of years with a higher FG%" then it means that you're using his previous body of work within your evaluation. I have no problem with using historical precedent within an argument I just don't think in this case it's relevant seeing as Amare is about 2 seasons removed from his PHX years.

Amare's DWS are inflated due to playing on the fifth ranked defensive team last year. That's more of Chandler's and Shumps doing than Amare's

Nope, people hype him up because he was underrated the year before. As a Knicks fan you'd think you would refrain from letting your evaluations of a player be influenced by the fans of said player. If that was the case Kris Kardashian would be better than Melo.

Bosh? Sure. Amar'e of last year ain't touching those numbers.

Umm what?...lol Amare per 36 last year was almost 20 & 9 as the SECOND option in NY... thats already pretty close to "touching 21 & 9" dont you think?

When he was the #1 option the year before he was 25 & 9.

Swashcuff
11-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Because he doesn't shy away from physical play and can hold his own on D?

Baller1
11-09-2012, 12:26 PM
I assume your top 3 is Love, Dirk & Gasol so how has he proved to be better than Randolph, Griffin, Bosh, & Amare?

I'm a Randolph fan, but other than his monster performance in the playoffs a couple seasons ago, he's been relatively underwhelming. Definitely a top PF in the game still, but one amazing playoff performance doesn't thrust him above a player like LMA.

Amare... Well, yeah... :laugh2: this isn't 2007. Amare couldn't even pay to lick LMA's gooch at this point in their careers.

Bosh and LMA are similar players in my eyes, and it's hard to judge them at this time because they play such different roles now. One's a franchise player and first option, while Bosh is the third option of a future dynasty. I have no problem with people who would argue Bosh over LMA.

Griffin has the athleticism, which in turn makes him a better rebounder. But I personally think LMA is the better scorer. This is a toss-up as well.

And I'd take LMA over Gasol at this point as well. You have to remember that we're almost in 2013 now... Players decline. LMA is in his prime, and he's a top PF.

Lakers + Giants
11-09-2012, 12:26 PM

Ok I'll agree with amare but not with wade and harden.

Harden is just more of a flopper but dude is pretty tough, wade is injury prone. Amare, yea he's soft.

b@llhog24
11-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Umm what?...lol Amare per 36 last year was almost 20 & 9 as the SECOND option in NY... thats already pretty close to "touching 21 & 9" dont you think?

When he was the #1 option the year before he was 25 & 9.

Understand the concept of PACE and then come back to me. And I love how you keep bringing up his 2011 campaign of "25 & 9." Aldridge last season indiviually was better than that year as well.

HouRealCoach
11-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Problem with your points is, they all happened years ago. Look at it like this. Wade is a better player than Westbrook, but over the course of an 82 game season Westbrook is more VALUABLE. Lma being a top 3 pf is no shame to the game.

The thing with that is Westbrook has success as he is more valuable... LMA missed the playoffs

b@llhog24
11-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Because he doesn't shy away from physical play and can hold his own on D?

I'm a Randolph fan, but other than his monster performance in the playoffs a couple seasons ago, he's been relatively underwhelming. Definitely a top PF in the game still, but one amazing playoff performance doesn't thrust him above a player like LMA.

Amare... Well, yeah... :laugh2: this isn't 2007. Amare couldn't even pay to lick LMA's gooch at this point in their careers.

Bosh and LMA are similar players in my eyes, and it's hard to judge them at this time because they play such different roles now. One's a franchise player and first option, while Bosh is the third option of a future dynasty. I have no problem with people who would argue Bosh over LMA.

Griffin has the athleticism, which in turn makes him a better rebounder. But I personally think LMA is the better scorer. This is a toss-up as well.

And I'd take LMA over Gasol at this point as well. You have to remember that we're almost in 2013 now... Players decline. LMA is in his prime, and he's a top PF.

I :love: when you guys post in the Nba forum

b@llhog24
11-09-2012, 12:31 PM
The thing with that is Westbrook has success as he is more valuable... LMA missed the playoffs

:facepalm:

Baller1
11-09-2012, 12:33 PM

LMA missed the playoffs for the first time in a while because that team was in shambles last season. They started great, but then injuries and the firing of Nate McMillan just killed their season.

Before that, he and Roy were leading them to the playoffs consistently.

Baller1
I :love: when you guys post in the Nba forum

:hi5:

mightybosstone
Aldridge IS a top 5 PF. Love and Dirk are most definitely ahead of him, and I think Pau and Bosh are debatable but within the same discussion. Blake is inferior to those players until he learns to play defense, develop a jump shot or hit a free throw. And Randolph is on the outside looking in until he proves himself again and stays healthy.

Aldridge was third among PFs in PER last season, 4th in USG% and 11th in TS%. And to the poster trying to compare Amare to Aldridge, it's not even close, dude. Stoudemire has clearly take a step back without Steve Nash and Aldridge's numbers last season absolutely crushed Amare in every possible way aside from rebounds and shot blocking (which doesn't make up for LMA's superior defense to Amare).

As for the whole "soft" debate, I don't think it's fair to call LMA soft. Does he get a lot of his points from his mid range game? Yes. But so do some of the other best bigs in the league. Dirk, Love, KG, Bosh and Pau all take the vast majority of their attempts from jump shots. And LMA was still fifth in free throw attempts, so he's clearly attacking the basket. Defensively, Portland gave up 7.8 fewer points per 100 possessions with Aldridge on the floor last season, so the dude is definitely having an effect.

Call him "soft" all you want to, but he is without a doubt one of the five best PFs in the NBA, and you could make a decent argument for him as a top 5 big man overall.

popo85
11-09-2012, 12:52 PM
i thought everyone called him soft.

I call him Softdridge:D

JasonJohnHorn
11-09-2012, 12:54 PM
I have seen people rank him high on here, and while I understand it, I do expect a starting PF to grab 10 boards a game. I think part of his ranking goes to intangibles, like his leadership ability, but yeah, he should be rebounding the ball better than he has.

JasonJohnHorn
11-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Amare couldn't even pay to lick LMA's gooch at this point in their careers.

What is a gooch?

MintBerryCrunch
11-09-2012, 12:58 PM
I would take Pau over Aldridge

MintBerryCrunch
11-09-2012, 12:59 PM
What is a gooch?

:eyebrow:

popo85
11-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Lmao

Baller1
11-09-2012, 01:12 PM
What is a gooch?

The Gooch

According to Johnny Knoxville, the area between a mans balls and his *******. Equivilent to the "chin rest" on a woman.

She licked my gooch on the way to tossing my salad.

http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=The%20Gooch

JasonJohnHorn
11-09-2012, 01:16 PM
I think when ranking PF it is important to take certain things into consideration, like who they play with and what is expected of them. If Bosh was playing in Portland last season, he would have been posting 25 points a game. He has a lower average now because he shares the ball with two of the best players on the planet, but that doesn't mean his skills are diminished. That said, Bosh should be working the glass hard than he is. Bosh still ranks high with despite his lower point-per average.

Likewise Pau Gasol still ranks very high with me. Jerry Buss was in LOVE with Bynum, and he wanted the Bynum to have a big role on offence, and Brown is a kobe nuthugger, so he let Kobe take as many shots as he wanted. That didn't leave much for Gasol, but if Gasol was playing for Portland I expect they would be giving him more on offence. Gasol out-rebounded LMA last season, and shot as high a FG%. I think that Pau is underrated on defence. People call him soft, but you see he still works the boards, and he physical inside. I mena, he was working the glass alongside Bynum and still finished with 10+ a game. LMA doesn't do what Gasol does on the glass, and what's more, Gasol is also one of the best passing big men in the league.

I think Love and Griffen are both better than LMA. Both are monsters on the glass, and while Love obviously has the best offensive game among all power forwards, Griffen is underrated in that respect. He does more than just dunk, though many people on PSD seem to have a back-lash again Griffen and I'm not sure why. And Blake is not so bad at moving the rock either.

I frankly wouldn't even argue with somebody who has David Lee ranked ahead of LMA, or even Josh Smith.

LMA is great, but at 27, I think we've seen him reach his potential. He can keep this play up for a few season yet, but I don't expect to see him grow much as a player. Most players have reached their max potential in terms of what they do on the court by 27 (though obviously there are exceptions, the truly great players continue to improve their game throughout their careers, like when Kobe added the post-up game in his 30's, and Kidd actually learned how to shoot the ball at like 35 years old, though he should have done that at 25).

LMA is a top ten PF. That is impressive. That means that at his position in the world, there are less than 10 people who are as good as him right now. But I wouldnt put him in my top 3.
As for Amare... he's stuggled with injury last season. But when he first came to NY and was running the pick-and-roll with Felton, he was playing very well. At this point, I would take LMA over Amare because he's younger and isn't struggling with injury, but that said, I don't see a big difference in their output.

mightybosstone
11-09-2012, 01:17 PM
I have seen people rank him high on here, and while I understand it, I do expect a starting PF to grab 10 boards a game. I think part of his ranking goes to intangibles, like his leadership ability, but yeah, he should be rebounding the ball better than he has.

Two things I want to address. First, you're forgetting that Aldridge has played a good chunk of his career next to Marcus Camby, one of the best rebounders in the league over the last decade. Second, you said you expect a starting PF to have 10 rebounds per game. Guess how many PFs averaged 10 a game last season? 4. And only 8 players averaged 10+ overall. So I think that's pretty unfair when only seven out of 30 teams had a player capable of accomplishing that feat last season.

Aldridge could definitely improve his rebounding and shot blocking, and he'll have a chance to this season without veteran centers next to him. But I don't think he should get knocked for averaging 8 per game when guys like Bosh (7.9) and Dirk (6.8) average fewer and yet don't receive similar criticism.

JasonJohnHorn
11-09-2012, 01:19 PM
http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=The%20Gooch

lol

Thanks.

mightybosstone
11-09-2012, 01:26 PM
I think Love and Griffen are both better than LMA. Both are monsters on the glass, and while Love obviously has the best offensive game among all power forwards, Griffen is underrated in that respect. He does more than just dunk, though many people on PSD seem to have a back-lash again Griffen and I'm not sure why. And Blake is not so bad at moving the rock either.
I won't argue with Gasol or Bosh, although I think they're debatable, and you could just as easily rank Aldridge higher. There's no telling what Aldridge would average playing with better teammates or how he could shine with a decent team in the playoffs, so it's hard to judge him compared to those players who are in very different positions.

And I certainly won't argue with Love, who is easily the best PF in the NBA when healthy. But I will definitely argue Griffin. I don't buy the "he only dunks" argument either, but he's nowhere near as skilled as Aldrdige. Blake is a great passer and he pounds the glass better than most, but he has no jump shot whatsoever, very few post skills, cannot make a free throw even though he gets to the line a ton and is just piss poor on defense. To me, there are far too many holes in Griffin's game to put him ahead of skilled, solid defensive players like Aldridge, Pau and Bosh.

I frankly wouldn't even argue with somebody who has David Lee ranked ahead of LMA, or even Josh Smith.
This is just completely ridiculous. Lee guards about as well as a cardboard cutout of him would do and Smith's awful scoring efficiency and shot selection make him a huge liability on offense at times. Neither player should be in the same discussion as Aldridge.

LMA is great, but at 27, I think we've seen him reach his potential. He can keep this play up for a few season yet, but I don't expect to see him grow much as a player.
I both agree and don't agree. Statistically, I don't think you'll see much improvement, BUT what we haven't seen is how the guy will perform on the big stage with a decent supporting cast. If Lillard can grow into a top 10 PG and guys like Matthews and Batum continue to improve, then Portland will be a 4-5 seed in a couple of years. That's when we'll see what Aldridge is really made of.

At this point, I would take LMA over Amare because he's younger and isn't struggling with injury, but that said, I don't see a big difference in their output.
Then you're not looking in the right places. Aldridge is clearly a more efficient scorer and so much better defensively that it's not close. The fact that you would debate this makes me question your knowledge a bit.

Run&Gun
11-09-2012, 01:48 PM
LMA is definately more lazy than he is soft. I think he can get pretty nasty when he wants to be and can amazingly finish through a lot of contact and can play great defense when he wants to. I'm not sure if it's becasue he's always played next to a great rebounding/defensive center or if it's because he focuses all his effort on offense since the last few years he's had to be a #1 offensive option, but I think if you just isolate his talent he's a top 5 for sure.

lol, please
11-09-2012, 01:54 PM
I always see so much praise for this guy in this forum it is RIDICULOUS

He is 6'11, 240, always in great shape and has never averaged 9 rebounds or above, He has never made it out of the first round, He never averaged over 2 blocks... With that said he is always labeled as a top 5 PF & sometimes top 3 here

This guy has 'soft' & 'overrated' written all over him...

Because "soft" is Pau Gasols label until he chooses to pass it on.

Shlumpledink
11-09-2012, 02:57 PM
I look at LMA as undersized. He's got height, but his body isn't really fit for banging in the post. He's got a high center of gravity, and he's thin. I call players soft when their abilities are best suited for them to be physical, yet they are not. Gasol is a prime example of something I'd call soft. He needs to hit the post and not be afraid, turnaround jumpers aren't what I like to see from him.

LMA though, turnaround jumpers for him are great. Same with Dirk. I wouldn't call them soft.

Trueblue2
11-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Because he's black and from america. You have to be a lanky Euro player to be soft, how did you not know that?

kswissdaf
11-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Because he plays for Portland and nobody cares or watches him

Chronz
11-09-2012, 03:41 PM
I look at LMA as undersized. He's got height, but his body isn't really fit for banging in the post. He's got a high center of gravity, and he's thin. I call players soft when their abilities are best suited for them to be physical, yet they are not. Gasol is a prime example of something I'd call soft. He needs to hit the post and not be afraid, turnaround jumpers aren't what I like to see from him.

LMA though, turnaround jumpers for him are great. Same with Dirk. I wouldn't call them soft.

Good point

Chronz
11-09-2012, 03:42 PM
I won't argue with Gasol or Bosh, although I think they're debatable, and you could just as easily rank Aldridge higher. There's no telling what Aldridge would average playing with better teammates or how he could shine with a decent team in the playoffs, so it's hard to judge him compared to those players who are in very different positions.
Hes had 3 different playoff runs in all sorts of roles, he was never exceptional in any. Why are you acting as if Aldridge is the 3rd year player and not a known commodity. I do agree they are all debatable tho.

And I certainly won't argue with Love, who is easily the best PF in the NBA when healthy. But I will definitely argue Griffin. I don't buy the "he only dunks" argument either, but he's nowhere near as skilled as Aldrdige. Blake is a great passer and he pounds the glass better than most, but he has no jump shot whatsoever, very few post skills, cannot make a free throw even though he gets to the line a ton and is just piss poor on defense. To me, there are far too many holes in Griffin's game to put him ahead of skilled, solid defensive players like Aldridge, Pau and Bosh.
I dont know if you've been watching Pau lately but his defense looks pretty awful lately but yes when hes on his game he can be a good 2-way player. Bosh has proven that as well. But LMA? Ive always felt he was a solid defender but Ive been struggling to find proof of it. What stands out to you, anything objective or just opinion?

Swashcuff
11-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Because he plays for Portland and nobody cares or watches him

Amar'e must be one TANNED illegal Alien then

Chronz
11-09-2012, 03:46 PM
If you have LMA ahead of Blake, then you must also have Bosh/Pau/Love ahead of LMA. That simple to me. If you want to argue LMA ahead of any of those guys then you lose ground on the Blake comparison.

Hellcrooner
11-09-2012, 04:06 PM
1 I dont know why you attack Aldrige, he is very good, a top 5 PF hands down with a lot of skill and fundamentals.

2, answering your question, because he is not European and he is not White.

The "soft" tag only falls on them ( Pau/Dirk/ Love/ David Lee etc).

HouRealCoach
11-09-2012, 04:07 PM
I have seen Amare called soft a lot in this forum... & Bynum averaged what 12 or 13 rebounds last year? Pau Gasol still averaged 10+ & like the other guy said he was buried behind Kobe jacking up shots and Bynum emerging as the second option so his offense numbers wouldn't look that great but you seen him as the second option and tear it up & he's ALWAYS labeled soft even after getting rebounds, playing in the post, & blocking shots

But if Amare is soft because he is often lazy on defense and doesn't rebound then so is LMA. & you guys have seen him in the playoffs with Camby, Miller, Batum, Matthews, Wallace in his 5th year and still got beat in the first so don't give me that "Let's see him with a decent supporting cast" this is his 7th year? He is no youngster anymore

P Harvy
11-09-2012, 04:16 PM
One of the most overrated players in this forum lol.

Swashcuff
11-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Never seen anyone call Kevin Love soft.

Swashcuff
11-09-2012, 04:22 PM
I have seen Amare called soft a lot in this forum... & Bynum averaged what 12 or 13 rebounds last year? Pau Gasol still averaged 10+ & like the other guy said he was buried behind Kobe jacking up shots and Bynum emerging as the second option so his offense numbers wouldn't look that great but you seen him as the second option and tear it up & he's ALWAYS labeled soft even after getting rebounds, playing in the post, & blocking shots

But if Amare is soft because he is often lazy on defense and doesn't rebound then so is LMA. & you guys have seen him in the playoffs with Camby, Miller, Batum, Matthews, Wallace in his 5th year and still got beat in the first so don't give me that "Let's see him with a decent supporting cast" this is his 7th year? He is no youngster anymore

In the West that's a weak **** supporting cast to try and get out of the first round. What are you talking about? None of those players were even fringe all stars much less making up for a strong supporting cast.

Yunqn
11-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Alridge isnt better than love dirk griffin gasol randolph bosh or amare.. Each of these guys can do betterthan him in his situation in portland.. You guys overrate him i always looked at him as a top 10 & thats it

b@llhog24
11-09-2012, 07:34 PM
^Well I'm convinced let's all pack up and go home boys. This one is over.

Sactown
11-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Because Portland fans don't come in the forum and post ridiculous things about LMA.. like...

Nets fans with Brook Lopez...
Orrrr
Knicks fans with Amare...
ORRRR
Heat fans about Bosh.

nirvana235
11-09-2012, 09:50 PM
If he's soft, then what is Andrea Bargnani? A marshmallow?