PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the Timberwolves win any titles had they kept Ray Allen?

JordansBulls
11-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Did anyone realize that the Twolves selected Ray Allen in 1996 and traded him to the Bucks for Marbury?

Say they kept Ray Allen instead and he was teamed up with KG thru his Minnesota tenure. Do you think they win any titles?

HouRealCoach
11-09-2012, 11:33 AM
In the years 03, 06, & 07 they would have had a great chance so I say maybe 1 or 2 just in those years though

Avenged
11-09-2012, 11:46 AM
You're on a roll today jb

#Shumpert Up
11-09-2012, 12:01 PM
well considering they won together twoards the end of their primes in boston (with the help of a younger paul pierce of course), it's not a stretch to say they could have won a couple together both at the top of their games.

JiffyMix88
11-09-2012, 12:07 PM
if they stayed together and were the same players they were when they were with their different team i would say they would win at least 1 from 2002-2005

xxplayerxx23
11-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Yes for sure IMO.

Baller1
11-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Absolutely. Those two would've complimented each other brilliantly in their primes.

JasonJohnHorn
11-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Yes. I think they would have. It is a little easier to fill the PG spot, and with Garnett rebounding the ball as well as he did, and playing the defence he was playing, to go along with Allen's 3-ball and sharp shooting, I think they would have been able to win, in part because I think they would have been able to attrack more talented free agents. The only thing that would have held them back is the horrible front office Minny had back then. Want proof of how bad they were? They traded Ray Allen for Marbury ;-) lol. Then they let Billups walk in free agency. Could you imagine Billups, Allen and Garnett playing together? They would have had to get another rebounder though. Garnett can clean up the glass all by himself.

Rivera
11-09-2012, 12:32 PM
depends...do they have HCA?

SMH!
11-09-2012, 12:36 PM

:clap::clap:

mightybosstone
11-09-2012, 12:41 PM
This is a really great "What if" JB, especially when you consider that Minnesota did have some talented players in the 2000s that could have complimented Allen and KG really well, like Billups, Cassell and Sprewell, to a lesser extent. I think Minnesota would have been one of the two or three most dominant teams (other than San Antonio) during that span between the Lakers' two championship teams of the 2000s. They certainly would have made at least a couple of Finals appearances and the East didn't really have any great teams aside from Detroit (who would have been without Billups), the Shaq/Wade Heat (which was short lived) and the Celtics (which would never have happened). Also, the idea of a Billups/Allen/KG duo facing a Parker/Manu/Duncan duo in the playoffs every season is :drool: I kinda wished this had happened now...

nickdymez
11-09-2012, 12:44 PM
With the lakers and spurs around, I say no

MrfadeawayJB
11-09-2012, 01:00 PM
I say they may have been able to squeak one or two out of the 2000's. The lakers and spurs were legit though

Dade County
11-09-2012, 01:05 PM
They would have made it to the finals once and lost, but they would have been in the WCF like, 3 to 4 times... But I would have loved for this to happen.

Daze9900
11-09-2012, 01:07 PM
They might have; they let a couple of good point guards go and i would liked to say ray kg and cassel what they could have done or imagine if they still got sprewell also #cray

mdm692
11-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Probably but if that were the case then we're probably seeing Rubio in a different uniform along with Derrick Williams and K-Love.

iliketurtles24
11-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Probably but if that were the case then we're probably seeing Rubio in a different uniform along with Derrick Williams and K-Love.

I still would have been happy with a couple of ships in the 00's.

JasonJohnHorn
11-09-2012, 01:32 PM
I wonder what would have happened had the Bucks not traded Dirk!

topdog
11-09-2012, 03:39 PM
This is one I have thought about many times before and especially after the Boston trade. Him and KG in their prime would have been perfect together.

NBAfan4life
11-09-2012, 04:14 PM
I believe NBA history would be viewed differently had they paired up early in their careers. Maybe a title, maybe even a shift in the all time rankings of SG's and PF's.

Of course it could easily nothing drastic would of changed, but it would of been interesting to watch.

Hawkeye15
11-09-2012, 06:13 PM
gee, I never thought of this before........

KnicksorBust
11-09-2012, 06:40 PM
No. They wouldn't have gotten by Shaq or Duncan. They would have needed a great PG or SF to facilitate their offenses and they wouldn't have the cap space to get that player.

Twinsfan24
11-09-2012, 06:57 PM
This is one of those "what if's" that really hurts as a T-wolves fan. Just to think what could have been... :cry:

But in response to the question. I think they get one. But they do make it out of the first round alot more than they did.

topdog
11-09-2012, 06:58 PM
No. They wouldn't have gotten by Shaq or Duncan. They would have needed a great PG or SF to facilitate their offenses and they wouldn't have the cap space to get that player.

I don't know about the facilitating part, but Minnesota did have both Chauncey Billups and Sam Cassell at different times and they only made about $5M.

Terrel Brandon also had some nice years starting at $6M.

Twinsfan24
11-09-2012, 06:59 PM
I don't know about the facilitating part, but Minnesota did have both Chauncey Billups and Sam Cassell at different times and they only made about $5M.

Don't forget Spreewell... If that could have worked money wise that would have been a really good team...

mightybosstone
11-09-2012, 07:03 PM

They would have had enough to add Billups or Cassell. And you don't think that Billups, Allen and Garnett could have challenged Parker, Manu and Duncan from 2005-2007 and maybe even those Lakers teams the next couple of years? Because I certainly do. I don't think they could have done much against Kobe and Shaq, though. Hardly anybody could.

KnicksorBust
11-09-2012, 07:17 PM

Terrel Brandon also had some nice years starting at $6M.

They would have had enough to add Billups or Cassell. And you don't think that Billups, Allen and Garnett could have challenged Parker, Manu and Duncan from 2005-2007 and maybe even those Lakers teams the next couple of years? Because I certainly do. I don't think they could have done much against Kobe and Shaq, though. Hardly anybody could.

I don't understand. So we are supposed to just magically assume the T-Wolves roster would have still worked out the same way with Billups falling into their laps... only THIS TIME they wouldn't be dumb enough to let him sign elsewhere? Sure, Chauncey-Ray-Spree-KG could have won a title but I don't see how a reasonable person can re-write the history of the Wolves so that they only make great transactions after 1996.

mightybosstone
11-09-2012, 07:33 PM
I don't understand. So we are supposed to just magically assume the T-Wolves roster would have still worked out the same way with Billups falling into their laps... only THIS TIME they wouldn't be dumb enough to let him sign elsewhere? Sure, Chauncey-Ray-Spree-KG could have won a title but I don't see how a reasonable person can re-write the history of the Wolves so that they only make great transactions after 1996.

Why is it unlikely that they would have gotten Billups in 2000? He hadn't done anything up to that point in his career and they certainly didn't break the bank to get him. The only question mark would be whether or not they would have held onto him after that second season. BUT, I think that Allen-KG duo would have been a perennial playoff team at that point, and Billups likely would have woken up a little sooner next to better teammates.

Sprewell is a huge if, but I don't see why Chauncey is such a huge leap. And based on that trio, I can easily see the Wolves making 2-3 finals appearances and coming away with at least one ring.

topdog
11-09-2012, 07:48 PM

It's fair to assume that the Wolves would have one of Billups, Brandon or Sprewell. Brandon was signed as a free agent. When he was injured, they brought in Billups for the year. They let Billups go thinking that Brandon was healthy again but he had a career-ending injury and his contract was traded for Spree.

So, it would seem to be fair, not to mention the potential for attracting players who might (not a given) be more inclined to come to a Minnesota team with 2 all-star/superstar talents.

Hawkeye15
11-09-2012, 10:03 PM

In the Wolves defense, Terrell Brandon was playing exceptional, and Billups was going to need a new deal and the Wolves weren't going to pay for it. The Wolves FO didn't know Brandon was going to suffer a career nagging injury shortly...

mgsports
11-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Know if Magic kepted Shaq A starting Lineup of Shaq,Howard,Hedo,McGrady,Nelson and off the Bench Carter,Ryan Anderson,Reddick,Davis,Lee,Gortat,QRich,JRich and so on they would have won lots of Championships in a row.

stawka
11-10-2012, 08:28 AM

This

Close thread lmfao

Swashcuff
11-10-2012, 08:32 AM
This is a really great "What if" JB, especially when you consider that Minnesota did have some talented players in the 2000s that could have complimented Allen and KG really well, like Billups, Cassell and Sprewell, to a lesser extent. I think Minnesota would have been one of the two or three most dominant teams (other than San Antonio) during that span between the Lakers' two championship teams of the 2000s. They certainly would have made at least a couple of Finals appearances and the East didn't really have any great teams aside from Detroit (who would have been without Billups), the Shaq/Wade Heat (which was short lived) and the Celtics (which would never have happened). Also, the idea of a Billups/Allen/KG trio facing a Parker/Manu/Duncan trio in the playoffs every season is :drool: I kinda wished this had happened now...

Fixed :D MBT a little drunk while making this post :eyebrow:

Agreed though. Had that team been on the floor with say Earvin Johnson on the floor a decent SF like Trenton Hassell, yeah they'd be formidable. Coaching would come into play and I was never really confident with Flip Saunders as a coach however so SA would have the clear advantage in that department IMO.

As for the answer to the question it all depends on the cast/coaching around them as well. KG for as good as he was wasn't prime/peak Shaq and Ray Ray wasn't Kobe. The Spurs were well coached and in most years had a better cast that what the Timberwolves would have. KG and Allen would be legit though.

StarvingKnick22
11-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Its hard to say seeing that they would still have too deal with the young Lakers and Spurs.

KnicksorBust
11-10-2012, 11:51 AM
In the Wolves defense, Terrell Brandon was playing exceptional, and Billups was going to need a new deal and the Wolves weren't going to pay for it. The Wolves FO didn't know Brandon was going to suffer a career nagging injury shortly...

don't see how them having Ray Allen makes this play out any differently...

PleaseBeNice
11-10-2012, 12:16 PM

Lmao

greg_ory_2005
11-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Know if Magic kepted Shaq A starting Lineup of Shaq,Howard,Hedo,McGrady,Nelson and off the Bench Carter,Ryan Anderson,Reddick,Davis,Lee,Gortat,QRich,JRich and so on they would have won lots of Championships in a row.

No. Never post again.