PDA

View Full Version : Who would you take as your franchise player in each instance and why?

JordansBulls
11-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Who would you take as your franchise player in each instance and why?

Note: Basically when the player was an elite player but also consider health and the probability the player stays with the franchise as well.

1 -- Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan

2 -- Kareem or Shaquille O'neal

3 -- Lebron James or Hakeem Olajuwon

4 -- Moses Malone or Dirk Nowitzki

5 -- Chris Paul or John Stockton

6 -- Gary Payton or Clyde Drexler

7 -- Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain

8 -- Kevin Durant or Dwyane Wade

9 -- Dominique Wilkins or Paul Pierce

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady or Grant Hill

11 -- Jason Kidd or Steve Nash

12 -- Derrick Rose or Allen Iverson

13 -- Charles Barkley or Karl Malone

14 -- Kevin Garnett or Oscar Robertson

15 -- Julius Erving or David Robinson

ATX
11-09-2012, 11:10 AM

At first glance these are my gut choices, but I don't have time at work to write up a why for each choice. Some of these were tough, and deserve more consideration, but again, gut choices.

kyubi256
11-09-2012, 11:15 AM
1 -- Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan - Position wise it is easier to build a team with a big than with a SG in him opinion. You can do a lot more with Duncan on your team than with Kobe. Spreading works well here.

2 -- Kareem or Shaquille O'neal - Hard one but I think that Kareem had a larger range.

3 -- Lebron James or Hakeem Olajuwon - The King I think will be top 3 to ever play the game.

4 -- Moses Malone or Dirk Nowitzki - Just always been a huge fan of Dirk.

5 -- Chris Paul or John Stockton - Consistency and stability. I like him a lot.

6 -- Gary Payton or Clyde Drexler - No reason here...

7 -- Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain - The ultimate champion.

8 -- Kevin Durant or Dwyane Wade - Size, talent, etc.

9 -- Dominique Wilkins or Paul Pierce - So clutch. Hall of Famer. Knick killer :(

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady or Grant Hill - Could've been one of the best there was if he didn't get injured. Same for Hill though. But Mcgrady was even more incredible.

11 -- Jason Kidd or Steve Nash - Also plays defense.

12 -- Derrick Rose or Allen Iverson - Leads a better team by himself

13 -- Charles Barkley or Karl Malone - The post man!

14 -- Kevin Garnett or Oscar Robertson - Defense!

15 -- Julius Erving or David Robinson - Twin towers!

Joker117
11-09-2012, 11:23 AM

Note: Basically when the player was an elite player but also consider health and the probability the player stays with the franchise as well.

Some of these are tough gotta give you credit for that .

-1- give me Kobe. But I can't hate on the loyal technical stud PF both HOFs .

-2- Shaquille just overall had some extra power than any C we had seen .

-3- LBJ - overall a freak athlete who can play any position? Are you kidding me that's enough to pick him here .

-4- Moses

-5- wow uhm Stockton more loyal and well he runs an O so well not that cp3 sucks but Heath and leaving his team plus he s pres a lot for a PG I love that but ill use it as a knock here lol .

-6-Gary Payton gives me more than drex but I call it a tie .

-7-WILT

-8- Dwade stayed at home and can win a ring for you a freak Sg who could of been a Kobe or Jordan with better health or some teammates previously.

-9- the truth. ...

-10- uhm grant hill ? Similar careers and hill was better on D and healthier overall I think?

-11-Nash 2 time MVP at pg ?! Yeah I'll take him

-12- love rose but I'm sorry AI gets too much BS he snot the best sg/pg ever but head sooo much talent and brought so much heart .. Love to have him even maybe 3 years ago ...

-13- ok we're picking 2 stud hof pfs here who I watched but was young during most these guys careers and Barkley got more hype and solid stats .. I take him but Malone was amazing but did Stockton help him that much?

-14- Big O ..Oscar ..

-15-Julius Erving dr.J. Correct? Damn I need to brush up on my nba history sorry .

:facepalm: my list though.

Hellcrooner
11-09-2012, 11:26 AM
1 Tim Duncan : he will mesh with whoever other star you bring and theres 0 chance he butts heads with him.

2 -- Kareem : Longevity, skill over phisic.

3 -- Hakeem Olajuwon :big over small almost always , never shrinks to pressure

4 -- Moses Malone : Durability

5 -- John Stockton: Better decision maker, defender , Loyalty

6 -- Gary Payton : GOod floor general, better defender.

7 -- Bill Russell: Loyalty, low profile personality.

8 -- Kevin Durant : was close, but wades Injurys are a concern.

9 -- Dominique Wilkins: Neither will lead you to promised land as "the man" but at least Nique makes you money with his highlits and merchandising.

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady : Better health....:rolleyes: not much better...but better

11 -- Jason Kidd : Hands down, better all around , much better defender and took WORSE teams further in the playoffs.

12 -- Derrick Rose : I would only pick Iverson over Role players, never against a star.

13 -- Karl Malone: Durability and conditioning, you dont have to worry bout how many big macs have gone down his throat in the summer, not to even mention defense.

14 -- Kevin Garnett : Big over small.

15 -- David Robinson : Big over small, durability, loyalty

Lucky.
11-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Money_23

1 -- Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan quite an easy choice between bigs vs guards besides michael jordan. Kobe is great, but Duncan can anchor a team together really well. example: Spurs.

2 -- Kareem or Shaquille O'neal Shaq is great, but he wanted to only play for a big market team.

3 -- Lebron James or Hakeem Olajuwon was with the rockets just about his whole career. One of the most skilled centers of all time.

4 -- Moses Malone or Dirk Nowitzki this is a tough one, but dirk wins slightly because of his determination and will to win. His mental toughness is high. He played his mind out in the 2011 finals against all odds.

5 -- Chris Paul or John Stockton this is another tough one as well, but I went with Chris paul. His crunch time numbers are off the roof.

7 -- Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain I went with Wilt because he was an overall better player than Russell.

8 -- Kevin Durant or Dwyane Wade I'm going with Wade here because Wade is already a Miami Heat franchise player, winning their first chip in 2006 as finals mvp. Kevin Durant is still young, so it's not really a good comparison atm.

11 -- Jason Kidd or Steve Nash this is extremely tough for me. Both were franchise players for the Nets and Suns, respectively. 2 consecutive finals appearances vs 2 mvps. Chose Nash because he can score as well. Both playmaking and passing are pretty even.

Joker117
And about James saw some1 say top 3 ever ..it depends on how we vote .

Rings? MJ then who Kobe and ect .

PURE TALENT AND ATHLETICISM ? Dudes always been a freak could of been solid in the NFL if he stayed healthy and could take a hit ..never know now but freakish .

On position idk man bc old guys like wilt Chamberlain whose from a diff era was so. Dominate but a lot of ppl like me just..question well say that era but others say nope he's 1 of the best and that will never change ..

Jetsguy
11-09-2012, 11:30 AM

mlisica19
11-09-2012, 11:38 AM
I just think Duncan is a smarter player. College years really made him be a smart bball player in all aspects. I usually tend to go with SGs for #1 but I guess I would rather have Duncan. Im shocked at my choice but these two options, going with the big man.

Kareem... I like versatility and though SHAQ was SOOOO dominant down low Kareem is more athletic. I think his best years was before LA, and yet he dominated during the LA years. Where Shaq seemed to drop. Kareem is faster, swifter but still keeps the mean streak of American Center style

Hakeem is currently teaching James on offensive technique lol. I am not a fan of LeBrons mindset though it seems hes maturing since last years post season run. But Hakeem is just more versatile.

I think hes underrated because hes European... The guy has the right mindset and is one of the most dominating PFs i ever got to watch. Versatility is key here... I think Dirk is a better shooter. Tough choice here though

I am more inclined to choose 80s and 90s players because I appreciated that style more. Its a tougher game, smarter players i believe.

Dk much about Gary but Clyde is Clyde. On a Portland team of 6 strong guards, he stood out easily and then changing teams and roles he won a championship. Once again dk much about gary

Wilt was more athletic, faster and possibly stronger but if there was ONE man who knew how to play against big men and legends like Wilt it was Russel

Wades always hurt, Durant seems like a smarter and more modest leader as well as player. I think Durant will have a better career.

Not a fan of Pierce lol... actually im prob joking, if i really had to sit down and think of this I would prob reconsider

tracy is too flashy for my taste, I think Hill was a much smarter player. Tracy was more offensively skilled but theres a reason why Hill lasted so long

Loved Kidd during the Nets years but he truly impresed me when playing the Heat and winning his first ring. Both defensively and offensively.

I tend to go more for stronger mindset. A versatile player no matter what the stats show. I like that 80s 90s style basketball, rough tough and smart

eddyv7
11-09-2012, 11:56 AM

3 -- Lebron James or

1. Kobe because of the age he was drafted and the tons of potential he also has that killer instinct. the only other guard to play at that kind of all star level in his 17th season was Jordan.
2.kareem is way more dominate than shaq
3.hard to choose but i'll choose lebron becuase hes one of a kind. theres never been an athlete his size that can play all 5 positions since magic. lebron is just pure skill a 6'9 point gaurd
4.moses malone because he is more dominant and he would accomplish more than dirk if he was on your team.
5.john stockton the better point guard and better defender. grittier.
6. clyde drexler he was more versatile . hes kind of like the original Lebron if you look at it that way.
7.wilt charmberlain outshines bill rusell in almost every category.
8.kevin durant will be better the better scorer , develop into a better defender with time , have an healthier career, and have more all star selections and more championships.
9.dominique wilkins a better scorer and defender than paul pierce.
10. grant hill if only he woulve stayed healthy he wouldve been the face of the nba.
11. jason kidd more versatile better defender
12. derrick rose would have a better career and more humble.
13.charles barkley because he could create his own shot without playing with a point guard like john stockton. and he had less turnovers a game for his career.
14 garnett becuase even at his age hes locking opponents down and playing at a higher level.
15.julius was just spectacular imagine if he averaged what he averaged in the aba in the nba. pure dominance.

I Rock Shaqs
11-09-2012, 12:00 PM
1 -- Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan - Position wise it is easier to build a team with a big than with a SG in him opinion. You can do a lot more with Duncan on your team than with Kobe. Spreading works well here.

2 -- Kareem or Shaquille O'neal - Hard one but I think that Kareem had a larger range.

3 -- Lebron James or Hakeem Olajuwon - The King I think will be top 3 to ever play the game.

4 -- Moses Malone or Dirk Nowitzki - Just always been a huge fan of Dirk.

5 -- Chris Paul or John Stockton - Consistency and stability. I like him a lot.

6 -- Gary Payton or Clyde Drexler - No reason here...

7 -- Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain - The ultimate champion.

8 -- Kevin Durant or Dwyane Wade - Size, talent, etc.

9 -- Dominique Wilkins or Paul Pierce - So clutch. Hall of Famer. Knick killer :(

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady or Grant Hill - Could've been one of the best there was if he didn't get injured. Same for Hill though. But Mcgrady was even more incredible.

11 -- Jason Kidd or Steve Nash - Also plays defense.

12 -- Derrick Rose or Allen Iverson - Leads a better team by himself

13 -- Charles Barkley or Karl Malone - The post man!

14 -- Kevin Garnett or Oscar Robertson - Defense!

15 -- Julius Erving or David Robinson - Twin towers!

How does Derrick Rose lead a team better than Iverson....

Hellcrooner
11-09-2012, 02:02 PM
How does Derrick Rose lead a team better than Iverson....

by looking to pass the ball to the open man every now and then?
By not creating lockeroom drama?
By not getting in trouble outside the court?

JasonJohnHorn
11-09-2012, 07:10 PM
1 -- Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan: Duncan. He's a defensive anchor, a team player with no ego and great on the glass, and he's a great facilitator.

2 -- Kareem or Shaquille O'neal: Kareem had a better all around game and played longer at a high level.

3 -- Lebron James or Hakeem Olajuwon: Hakeem. It is easy to build around a great center than a great SF. Hakeem is a defensive anchor, will rebound the ball and provide lots on ofence.

4 -- Moses Malone or Dirk Nowitzki: Moses. Defence, rebounds and scoring. Dirk is soft. And Moses played for a long time at a high level.

5 -- Chris Paul or John Stockton: Stockton, the greatest passing PG and the greatest shooter at his position. CP3 is a better cutter and better defender, but Stockton was better team-defender and was great at guarding the passing lanes. Stockton also played for a long time at a high level.

6 -- Gary Payton or Clyde Drexler: Tough one. I'll go with GP, defence, passing and scoring. But Drexler is just as good a pick.

7 -- Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain: :facepalm: I... cannot... choose...

8 -- Kevin Durant or Dwyane Wade: Durant. I think he's got more potential than Wade and will play at a higher level longer.

9 -- Dominique Wilkins or Paul Pierce: PP. Nique was a more explosive scorer and better rebounder in some seasons, but PP is a better defender, better passer and better team player.

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady or Grant Hill: If both were healthy, Grant Hill. I think he was more mature, and a better all-around player than T-Mac, and he was a team player.

11 -- Jason Kidd or Steve Nash: I love Steve Nash... but Kidd is such a great all-around player.... it would depend on what I had on my roster.

12 -- Derrick Rose or Allen Iverson: Too early to compare the two, but my gut says Rose because Iverson was too small.

13 -- Charles Barkley or Karl Malone: Malone played at a higher level for longer, but I love Barkley.... I can't pick between the two.

14 -- Kevin Garnett or Oscar Robertson: Garnett because Oscar's talents were amasing, but in his era you could get away with being 6'3 and playing anything from PG to SF. Today though, you have guys who are 6'11 playing SF. He's be a great PG still today, but it's easier to build around a big. Defence is great from both players, but i think interior defence is perhaps a little more important than wing defence, and Garnett is the better rebounder.

15 -- Julius Erving or David Robinson: Robinson easily. Anchor in the post on both ends and great rebounding. Easier to build around a cetner than a SF.

JasonJohnHorn
11-09-2012, 07:13 PM
by looking to pass the ball to the open man every now and then?
By not creating lockeroom drama?
By not getting in trouble outside the court?

OMG YES!!!

Though Iverson did post a very high assist average several times.

KnicksorBust
11-09-2012, 07:14 PM
I keep waiting for someone to give me answer so I can just quote them but it's just not happening. :) Main reason: People need to stop getting the Chris Paul vs. John Stockton question wrong.

StarvingKnick22
11-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Even I would take John Stockton over Chris Paul.

PleaseBeNice
11-09-2012, 07:15 PM
1 -- Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan - winner, fundamental, was the key to his rings, not a robin role like kobe for 3 of his. Maybe 1 with d rob

2 -- Kareem or Shaquille O'neal Most dominant player ever

3 -- Lebron James or Hakeem Olajuwon Soon to be GOAT

4 -- Moses Malone or Dirk Nowitzki gotta go big

5 -- Chris Paul or John Stockton better athlete, great court vision, great defender

6 -- Gary Payton or Clyde Drexler because

7 -- Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain I feel russel is overrated

8 -- Kevin Durant or Dwyane Wade he can only get better

9 -- Dominique Wilkins or Paul Pierce dont like pierces games

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady or Grant Hill just to tickle your fancy JB

11 -- Jason Kidd or Steve Nash more overall game, better defender

12 -- Derrick Rose or Allen Iverson was just unreal

13 -- Charles Barkley or Karl Malone look at those points

14 -- Kevin Garnett or Oscar Robertson trip dub

15 -- Julius Erving or David Robinson much more dominant, great defender

mightybosstone
11-09-2012, 07:17 PM
JB, I like these threads, but to encourage more discussion, you need to pick fewer in the future. Narrow it down to like 5-7 really good ones. Because essentially you're just going to have everyone picking their 15 guys and moving on, rather than thoroughly discussing it and encouraging conversation.

mightybosstone
11-09-2012, 07:29 PM
1 -- Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan - Superior defensive player who impacts the game more on both sides of the floor.

2 -- Kareem or Shaquille O'neal - Both were dominant in their era, but Kareem's longevity was ridiculous and he just cared more than Shaq ever did.

3 -- Lebron James or Hakeem Olajuwon - I cannot answer this question out of my iconic, almost Godlike opinion of Hakeem and my stats boner for Lebron. This is perhaps the hardest question I have ever been asked.

4 -- Moses Malone or Dirk Nowitzki - If I had more time to think about it, I'd probably go Dirk, but I'm taking Moses because he was one of the greatest rebounders in NBA history while being an all-defensive center and dominant offensive player. Both guys were arguably the greatest in the league at different points in their career.

5 -- Chris Paul or John Stockton - Both are/were great all-around point guards who can score, shoot, distribute and defend, but Paul's efficiency has been otherworldly in his prime. And he has carried bad teams to the playoffs, whereas Stockton was a playoff choker and No. 2 on a team with perhaps the league's greatest playoff choker.

6 -- Gary Payton or Clyde Drexler - This is another really tough one, but I'm probably narrowly taking Drexler, who carried the Blazers in the late 80s and early 90s and is one of the greatest, most athletic wings in NBA history.

7 -- Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain - I don't want to get into this one again. If you don't know my reasoning, Bill Simmons can describe it better than I can.

8 -- Kevin Durant or Dwyane Wade - It's extremely close, but I think Durant's potential is greater than Wade's peak. He's already a greater scorer and shooter than Wade ever was, and once the rest of his game comes around, his career could dwarf Wade's.

9 -- Dominique Wilkins or Paul Pierce - It's all about the postseason. Wilkins was the more prolific scorer, but he never shined in the playoffs, whereas Pierce has been money for the Celtics. Pierce is also the superior defender and distributor.

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady or Grant Hill - McGrady's peak crushes Hill's and he has perhaps the greatest court vision of any wing player to ever play the game.

11 -- Jason Kidd or Steve Nash - Nash was the better scorer, shooter and distributor. Not only was he the better point guard, but you could count on him in big moments to hit a 3-pointer.

12 -- Derrick Rose or Allen Iverson - This was tough and I initially picked Iverson because Rose is so young. But even though I thoroughly disagree with his MVP, he's still a top 10 player and his potential is greater than Iverson's peak.

13 -- Charles Barkley or Karl Malone - I hate Karl Malone.

14 -- Kevin Garnett or Oscar Robertson - This one is almost unfair, because you're talking about a 30 year gap in talent. Also, if you give me choice between a wing or a big and they're of similar talent, I'll almost always take the big because of the defensive impact.

15 -- Julius Erving or David Robinson - Nearly an identical answer to the one above.

jericho
11-09-2012, 07:37 PM
for the people using the mvp argument for nash did you guys forget that he was the least deserving mvp we ever had??

Da Knicks
11-09-2012, 07:55 PM
1 -- Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan timmy go with the big and less drama

3 -- Lebron James or Hakeem Olajuwon one of my favs of alltime, with offense and defense plus the teacher right now.

4 -- Moses Malone or Dirk Nowitzki as great as a scorer that Dirk is Moses was just a beast.

5 -- Chris Paul or John Stockton stockon was a great leader and could shoot lights out when needed.

6 -- Gary Payton or Clyde Drexler more passion and great defensively

7 -- Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain just the best athlete at his height

8 -- Kevin Durant or Dwyane Wade his defense is what makes me the choice over Durant although Wade will continue his decline.

9 -- Dominique Wilkins or Paul Pierce streaky but when he is on he is pretty much unstoppable

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady or Grant Hill pretty similiar players i go tmac

11 -- Jason Kidd or Steve Nash his defense alone makes him the better player

12 -- Derrick Rose or Allen Iverson got to pass the ball to win

13 -- Charles Barkley or Karl Malone just cause chuck gets on my nerves

14 -- Kevin Garnett or Oscar Robertson defense and size

15 -- Julius Erving or David Robinson[/QUOTE] go with the big man who can score and defend.

b@llhog24
11-09-2012, 08:31 PM
1 -- Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan.

Timmy comes with less drama, was an elite two way big and constantly raised his level of play in the playoffs.

Shaq was the most dominant force I ever witnessed.

Close but give me the Dream, Statiscally LBJ is the better player but this could go either way but I just prefer elite big men over perimeter players.

4 -- Moses Malone or Dirk Nowitzki.

Moses by a hair.

Chris Paul put up the best regular season performance statically by a PG ever in 09 and was the best player in the league in 08. Stockton could never make that claim.

Push.

Wilt. More dominant, better scorer, passer & athlete while not giving up too much to Russell in terms of rebounding and defense.

Wade, Durant is still in comparison to Wade an unproven commodity. I've seen placed in Wade a multitude of roles and be successful while Durants role has remained relatively consistent. Also Wade's peak/prime is greater anyways.

Give me the Truth. Better defender, more clutch, and the better passer.

Tmac was better at Hill in just about every facet of the game.

Steve Nasty. Was the better playoff performer and Lead the Suns to some of the greaters offenses ever. Also he won two MVPs during his prime.

A.I. for now, not sure what Rose prime will look like with his injury.

Chuck was the better offensive player and post season performer.

And the last two can be summed up basically by my general rule of taking a big over a small.

#Shumpert Up
11-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Timmy is the Greatest PF of all time, nuff said.

Sky-Hook

The potential to be the G.O.A.T (not saying he will be)

was torn here, dirk because of his versatility

again, very difficult choice. Haven't seen stockton play(too young) but CP3 isn't done yet and is the undisputed best PG in the league with the potential to win the chip, same situation as stockton, we'll see how it ends.

great wings are harder to come by than great guards

history tells us who the real winner is.

dynasty potential off the bat

nothing to say here.

ManRam
11-09-2012, 09:01 PM

Duncan, he's bigger and was better.

Shaq by a nose

LeBron because he's better

Moses by a hair

Ooofff....this is close. I LOVE Stockton, but Paul is sooooo good too. Chris Paul has had the best individual season IMO that any PG not named Magic has ever had. So, I pick him.

Really close. Drexler by a narrow margin.

I flip flop on this one. I'm currently in the Wilt State of Mind.

Wade, but KD very easily could topple him as he enters his own prime.

Pierce pretty comfortable. Nique was wildly overrated

Tracy by the TINIEST of margins. I'd love to have seen them fight for this distinction on the court as teammates...unfortunately that hardly happened. :sigh:

Kidd's ability to defend makes this close, and I think picking either is fine, but Nash was a force on offense unlike any PG I've seen in a long *** time.

Great comp. Iverson...but Rose has the tools to pass him.

Chuck

KG

Robinson. Easiest one here.

That was actually interesting. Good work, JB. Since you said "explain", I was gonna just say "HCA" for each...but they weren't easy comparisons.

Also, bolding started to require too much energy.

theheatles
11-09-2012, 09:17 PM

Wade, but KD very easily could topple him as he enters his own prime.

I was stunned that everyone before this post picked Durant. Can Durant surpass Wade in career greatness? Yeah sure, he has a good chance, but what Wade has done in his career compared to what Durant has done, it should be Wade unless you just started watching the NBA 2 years ago.

ManRam
11-09-2012, 09:25 PM
I was stunned that everyone before this post picked Durant. Can Durant surpass Wade in career greatness? Yeah sure, he has a good chance, but what Wade has done in his career compared to what Durant has done, it should be Wade unless you just started watching the NBA 2 years ago.

I think Wade has had at least 2 seasons that are CLEARLY better than Durant's best season. Maybe as many as 4-5. And you'd think people's obsession with RINGZ would help his cause too. Prisoner of the moment maybe. Hell, I think Wade was better in the regular season last season :shrug:

I think Wade is the OBVIOUS pick right now. Let's see if KD can take the next step and round out his game a bit more.

Lakers211221
11-09-2012, 09:43 PM

1 -- Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan: As great a player as Timmy was, Kobe was better. In his prime, I'd take Kobe over any player not named Michael Jordan.

2 -- Kareem or Shaquille O'neal: Kareem. He's just the better player. He had a great basketball IQ and all around game.

3 -- Lebron James or Hakeem Olajuwon: Lebron. I don't like the guy, but he is a great basketball player.

4 -- Moses Malone or Dirk Nowitzki: Hmm, this is a tough one. I'm going to go with Moses Malone because he was a tougher player.

5 -- Chris Paul or John Stockton: John Stockton. Anyone who would take Chris Paul clearly didn't watch John Stockton play. I'd take Stockton over any PG not named Magic Johnson. Loved his game.

6 -- Gary Payton or Clyde Drexler: Clyde Drexler and it isn't even close. Much better player than the glove in my opinion.

7 -- Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain: This is one of the toughest ones on the list, but it's hard to go against Bill Russell.

8 -- Kevin Durant or Dwyane Wade: Durant, he's just a better player.

9 -- Dominique Wilkins or Paul Pierce: Wilkins was a better player. Not really much to comment on.

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady or Grant Hill: Out of the two injured players, I'd go with Hill. It's really just because I like him more. McGrady at his best/healthiest was probably the better player.

11 -- Jason Kidd or Steve Nash: Nash was the better player and made players around him a lot better with the Suns.

12 -- Derrick Rose or Allen Iverson: I don't like AI so this was easy. We talking bout practice. Enough said.

13 -- Charles Barkley or Karl Malone: Two of the best PFs to ever play the game, but I'm going to go with Sir Charles because he makes me laugh.

14 -- Kevin Garnett or Oscar Robertson: Easily Oscar Robertson.

15 -- Julius Erving or David Robinson: The Admiral is one of my favorite non-Lakers. The definition of class act.

b@llhog24
11-09-2012, 09:55 PM

What am I chopped liver?

DreamShaker
11-10-2012, 12:29 AM
1 -- Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan- Duncan. Loyal big man. Defensive anchor. Better player.

2 -- Kareem or Shaquille O'neal- Kareem. More durable. Less drama.

3 -- Lebron James or Hakeem Olajuwon- Hakeem. Biased.

4 -- Moses Malone or Dirk Nowitzki- Dirk. More diverse.

5 -- Chris Paul or John Stockton- Paul. Better scorer.

6 -- Gary Payton or Clyde Drexler- Drexler. Better overall superstar.

7 -- Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain- Wilt. More exciting.

8 -- Kevin Durant or Dwyane Wade- Durant. More potential, more durable.

9 -- Dominique Wilkins or Paul Pierce- PP. Better winner.

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady or Grant Hill- Close. But T-Mac. Toss up.

11 -- Jason Kidd or Steve Nash- Kidd. Defense.

12 -- Derrick Rose or Allen Iverson- Rose. Less drama.

13 -- Charles Barkley or Karl Malone- Barkley. I can't stand Malone.

14 -- Kevin Garnett or Oscar Robertson- KG. Defensive anchor.

15 -- Julius Erving or David Robinson- Robinson. Brought more to the table.

Chronz
11-10-2012, 12:49 AM
1 -- Tim Duncan

2 -- Shaquille O'neal

3 -- Hakeem Olajuwon

4 -- Moses Malone

5 -- Chris Paul

6 -- Clyde Drexler

7 -- Wilt Chamberlain

8 -- Kevin Durant

9 -- Paul Pierce

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady

11 -- Jason Kidd

12 -- Derrick Rose

13 -- Charles Barkley

14 -- Oscar Robertson

15 -- Julius Erving [/QUOTE]

KnicksorBust
11-10-2012, 12:52 AM
1 -- Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan- Duncan. Loyal big man. Defensive anchor. Better player.

2 -- Kareem or Shaquille O'neal- Kareem. More durable. Less drama.

3 -- Lebron James or Hakeem Olajuwon- Hakeem. Biased.

4 -- Moses Malone or Dirk Nowitzki- Dirk. More diverse.

5 -- Chris Paul or John Stockton- Paul. Better scorer.

6 -- Gary Payton or Clyde Drexler- Drexler. Better overall superstar.

7 -- Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain- Wilt. More exciting.

8 -- Kevin Durant or Dwyane Wade- Durant. More potential, more durable.

9 -- Dominique Wilkins or Paul Pierce- PP. Better winner.

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady or Grant Hill- Close. But T-Mac. Toss up.

11 -- Jason Kidd or Steve Nash- Kidd. Defense.

12 -- Derrick Rose or Allen Iverson- Rose. Less drama.

13 -- Charles Barkley or Karl Malone- Barkley. I can't stand Malone.

14 -- Kevin Garnett or Oscar Robertson- KG. Defensive anchor.

15 -- Julius Erving or David Robinson- Robinson. Brought more to the table.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Except for Dirk over Moses.

JordansBulls
11-10-2012, 09:40 PM
1 -- Tim Duncan

2 -- Shaquille O'neal

3 -- Hakeem Olajuwon

4 -- Moses Malone

5 -- Chris Paul

6 -- Clyde Drexler

7 -- Wilt Chamberlain

8 -- Kevin Durant

9 -- Paul Pierce

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady

11 -- Jason Kidd

12 -- Derrick Rose

13 -- Charles Barkley

14 -- Oscar Robertson

15 -- Julius Erving

I'm surprised you are taking Hakeem over Lebron here.

ManRam
11-10-2012, 09:48 PM
1 -- Tim Duncan

2 -- Shaquille O'neal

3 -- Hakeem Olajuwon

4 -- Moses Malone

5 -- Chris Paul

6 -- Clyde Drexler

7 -- Wilt Chamberlain

8 -- Kevin Durant

9 -- Paul Pierce

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady

11 -- Jason Kidd

12 -- Derrick Rose

13 -- Charles Barkley

14 -- Oscar Robertson

15 -- Julius Erving [/QUOTE]

I don't like when I disagree with you...but we disagree a good amount here :sigh:

Munkeysuit
11-10-2012, 10:19 PM
1 -- Tim Duncan

2 -- Shaquille O'neal

3 -- Lebron James

4 -- Dirk Nowitzki

5 -- John Stockton

6 -- Clyde Drexler

7 -- Bill Russell

8 -- Kevin Durant

9 -- Paul Pierce

10 --Grant Hill

11 -- Jason Kidd

12 -- Derrick Rose

13 -- Karl Malone

14 -- Kevin Garnett

15 -- David Robinson

Heediot
11-11-2012, 07:54 AM
1 -- Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan - One of the most rounded players in NBA history. Great D, efficient O.

2 -- Kareem or Shaquille O'neal - Just too dominant down low. IF he could shoot FT's, he would easily be top 5 all time.

3 -- Lebron James or Hakeem Olajuwon - When it's close, I take the Big.

4 -- Moses Malone or Dirk Nowitzki - One of my favourite players of all time. Pure heart and hustle.

5 -- Chris Paul or John Stockton - Personal Bias, and I truly believe he is better.

6 -- Gary Payton or Clyde Drexler - Consistent winner, smooooth.

7 -- Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain - Just too dominant.

8 -- Kevin Durant or Dwyane Wade - Durant will have a better career when it's all said and done.

9 -- Dominique Wilkins or Paul Pierce - Clutch and winner.

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady or Grant Hill - Better defense, more of a facillitator. Personal bias.

11 -- Jason Kidd or Steve Nash - Bias

12 -- Derrick Rose or Allen Iverson - I don't like chuckers.

13 -- Charles Barkley or Karl Malone - I think Barkley was the better player and pure back to the basket scorer.

14 -- Kevin Garnett or Oscar Robertson - Bias

15 -- Julius Erving or David Robinson - The afro.

JayW_1023
11-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Tim by a landslide. Better leader and like another poster said, he cares for winning over personal glory. He will allow his teammates to flourish, contrary to Kobe. Although I do respect Kobe for his individual prowess, willpower and competitiveness, he just isn't a leader by example.

Kareem. Shaq in his prime was one of the best. Not only physically dominant, but just as skilled as Kareem. But I pick Kareem because of his durability and efficiency beyond the paint. Shaq on the other hand is injury prone and had a shorter prime.

Close, but I pick LBJ. Probably the most versatile player since Magic and Bird, while running the floor like a guard and finishing like a big. Just a monster.Appreciate his prime, because the level he is playing at has rarely been seen.

Really though. A matter of power vs. finesse. While Dirks game is way more perimeter oriented (yet remarkably efficient) and therefor more unorthodox, he is great to pair with a lot of different players on offense. But Moses was arguably the best offensive rebounder ever, and a factor on defense. Moses by a HAIR because of his defense.

Stockton is the ultimate floor general, and a better defender as well. Lacks Pauls quickness and handles, but a slightly better shooter (although not as good contested). So, just the better overall player - not by much though.

Clyde The Glide. The best SG in the game at one point in his career behind MJ of course. Not many SG's have his complete game. Payton is well rounded too, but never had Clydes ability to finish around the rim.

Wilt. Russell is the ultimate champ, yes, but his teams were talented and well coached. Wilt was simply the best overall basketball athlete in the history if the game. Even today he would be stronger, faster, taller and more skilled than any C. The best individual player in the history of basketball. Surround him with Russells talent and he would be even more of a wrecking ball.

Close, as Wades prime was nearly Jordanesque, but Durant is already really good and has a lot of upside left. One of the best pure scorers ever, and much more durable than Wade.

As much as I love Pierces throwback game, I pick the Human Hghlight Film, because he was one of the best perimeter players of his era. He matched Bird in the playoffs. Pierce is great, but he had a lot more help, and Dom did more with less.

Grant Hills all-star years were great, but T-mac was a different animal before injuries struck. So T-mac.

Kidd. Both are immensely gifted playmakers, but Kidd is a much better defender and rebounder, while Nash the better shooter. Kidds game has more layers, and he can impact the game on more levels.

A healthy Derrick Rose by far. If AI was Rose's size, he might have become as dominant. Rose is the better teammate and during his best season he was more efficient than AI ever was. However, if he isn't the same coming back, I might want to pick AI instead. Time will tell.

Malone. I love Barkleys combo of unorthodox physical attributes and skills, but Malone was the prototypical PF. Physical, intelligent, skilled and efficient.

KG, because in his prime he could do it all like the Big O, plus be a defensive anchor, something O can't be as a guard. KGs prime was just torrid.

David Robinson, when in doubt, always take a great big over a great wing. Robinson was the most physically gifted C after Wilt. Could defend, rebound and outmuscle foes, but also run the floor like a gazelle. Easy pick.

Raidaz4Life
11-11-2012, 10:00 AM

Chronz
11-11-2012, 01:42 PM
I don't like when I disagree with you...but we disagree a good amount here :sigh:
A good amount you say? Thats probably because the close ones were decided by putting myself in a hypothetical league where everyone competes against everyone. If I take Cap that means someone else is taking Shaq. That means for the next 14 years, hes going to have the one guy best suited to absolutely PUMMEL Cap. Think what Moses did to Kareem x2. I dont know about you but Ill gladly take the most productive bully of all time and relish in the knowledge that your "superior" player stands no chance against him.

Chronz
11-11-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm surprised you are taking Hakeem over Lebron here.

Its been a long time since you've surprised me, ehhh Mr.Ctrlv?

Sadds The Gr8
11-11-2012, 01:48 PM

JordansBulls
11-16-2012, 12:11 PM
I think Wade has had at least 2 seasons that are CLEARLY better than Durant's best season. Maybe as many as 4-5. And you'd think people's obsession with RINGZ would help his cause too. Prisoner of the moment maybe. Hell, I think Wade was better in the regular season last season :shrug:

I think Wade is the OBVIOUS pick right now. Let's see if KD can take the next step and round out his game a bit more.

Not with the games he was out.

torocan
11-16-2012, 12:56 PM

Duncan. More versatile player.

Kareem. Better health.

Tough one, but gotta go with Hakeem. It's crazy easy to build a team around a great big man.

Malone.

Stockton.

Drexler.

Wilt. Wilt was not only the superior athlete (Russell himself says that in interviews), but everyone forgets the advantage of having Red Auerbach. Wilt under Red with the talent that was on the C's? Who knows how great Wilt would have been?

Durant. More versatile scorer, toss in athleticism and length and he's still young? Wow.

Pierce. Crazy finisher.

McGrady.

Kidd. Defense has to count for something.

Iverson.

The mailman.

Ugh... tough one. The big O, just because.

15 -- Julius Erving or David Robinson[/QUOTE]

Dr. J. If you're so good people call you Doctor, that alone should tell you something. :D

JordansBulls
12-07-2012, 01:35 AM

Duncan. More versatile player.

Kareem. Better health.

Tough one, but gotta go with Hakeem. It's crazy easy to build a team around a great big man.

Malone.

Stockton.

Drexler.

Wilt. Wilt was not only the superior athlete (Russell himself says that in interviews), but everyone forgets the advantage of having Red Auerbach. Wilt under Red with the talent that was on the C's? Who knows how great Wilt would have been?

Durant. More versatile scorer, toss in athleticism and length and he's still young? Wow.

Pierce. Crazy finisher.

McGrady.

Kidd. Defense has to count for something.

Iverson.

The mailman.

Ugh... tough one. The big O, just because.

Dr. J. If you're so good people call you Doctor, that alone should tell you something. :D[/QUOTE]

With the Wade and Durant it isnt now but when they came into the league.

RealLiveBear
12-07-2012, 01:52 AM
Jordan should have been compared to someone just for fun... Jordan v Kobe? :shrug:

mrblisterdundee
12-07-2012, 02:24 AM
1 -- Kobe Bryant: He's way more versatile and impactful in the fourth quarter.

2 -- Shaquille O'neal: Kareem wouldn't be as good in the 1990s NBA - he's too finesse. O'Neal, on the other hand, can dominate in the paint in any era.

3 -- Lebron James: James can do everything Hakeem can do and more, if he's asked to.

4 -- Moses Malone: I have a bias towards tougher players.

5 -- John Stockton: Nobody point guard has ever matched Stockton's consistent greatness.

6 -- Clyde Drexler: Payton can't dunk.

7 -- Wilt Chamberlain: Part of the reason Russell looks so good was the team he was on. Chamberlain was always more productive.

8 -- Dwyane Wade: Without injuries playing a part, Wade is more versatile than Durant and can score just as much, while putting other players into more foul trouble with his attacking style.

9 -- Dominique Wilkins: How can you turn down the human highlight reel? And once again, Pierce is a product of the team he was on.

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady or Grant Hill: Barring injuries, I honestly can't decide this one. Both guys approached LeBron's level of effectiveness.

11 -- Jason Kidd: Kidd might have scored less, but he's the closest player in modern NBA history to averaging a triple double over an entire season. I'll take that versatility any day. And he's better on defense than Nash.

12 -- Derrick Rose: Both he and Iverson can get to the hoop like few others, but Rose is more forceful.

13 -- Karl Malone: Why take the cream puff when you can mail in a 20 and 10 average for the next 20 seasons?

14 -- Oscar Robertson: Versatility reigns supreme.

15 -- David Robinson: The Admiral was in impeccable condition.

JordansBulls
12-17-2012, 01:04 PM
1 -- Kobe Bryant: He's way more versatile and impactful in the fourth quarter.

2 -- Shaquille O'neal: Kareem wouldn't be as good in the 1990s NBA - he's too finesse. O'Neal, on the other hand, can dominate in the paint in any era.

3 -- Lebron James: James can do everything Hakeem can do and more, if he's asked to.

4 -- Moses Malone: I have a bias towards tougher players.

5 -- John Stockton: Nobody point guard has ever matched Stockton's consistent greatness.

6 -- Clyde Drexler: Payton can't dunk.

7 -- Wilt Chamberlain: Part of the reason Russell looks so good was the team he was on. Chamberlain was always more productive.

8 -- Dwyane Wade: Without injuries playing a part, Wade is more versatile than Durant and can score just as much, while putting other players into more foul trouble with his attacking style.

9 -- Dominique Wilkins: How can you turn down the human highlight reel? And once again, Pierce is a product of the team he was on.

10 -- Tracy Mcgrady or Grant Hill: Barring injuries, I honestly can't decide this one. Both guys approached LeBron's level of effectiveness.

11 -- Jason Kidd: Kidd might have scored less, but he's the closest player in modern NBA history to averaging a triple double over an entire season. I'll take that versatility any day. And he's better on defense than Nash.

12 -- Derrick Rose: Both he and Iverson can get to the hoop like few others, but Rose is more forceful.

13 -- Karl Malone: Why take the cream puff when you can mail in a 20 and 10 average for the next 20 seasons?

14 -- Oscar Robertson: Versatility reigns supreme.

15 -- David Robinson: The Admiral was in impeccable condition.

In what way would Kareem not be able to dominate in the 90's when guys like Hakeem and Robinson could and they were finesse as well?