PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Team That Never Was (Fantastic Read, Long)

TyrionLannister
11-08-2012, 03:35 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8600657/view/full/an-oral-history-hakeem-olajuwon-ralph-sampson-1980s-houston-rockets

It's long as ****, but its great and really makes you wonder what could've been with 86 Rockets.

JasonJohnHorn
11-08-2012, 06:24 PM
That was looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong!

Fly
11-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Holy hot-****ing-damn that's a long article.

Quinnsanity
11-08-2012, 08:35 PM
If you have the time I'd recommend reading the whole thing. Really interesting read for NBA history buffs.

Hawkeye15
11-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Read it just now. Very good article, basically a lot of opinions from players/coaches, etc at the time. Basketball, or any sport, is always a "what if" for many players and teams, and especially their fans.

StarvingKnick22
11-08-2012, 08:42 PM
1999 Knicks. Ewing gets a ring. Alan Houston Finals MVP.
It was needed for history's sake.

P Harvy
11-08-2012, 08:43 PM
2008 Wolves.. How we didn't win the trophy I don't know.

Hawkeye15
11-08-2012, 08:46 PM
1999 Knicks. Ewing gets a ring. Alan Houston Finals MVP.
It was needed for history's sake.

Cassell's hip in 2004 :mad:

TheSource
11-08-2012, 08:49 PM
If Tracy McGrady were to stay in Toronto with Vince Carter..

JasonJohnHorn
11-08-2012, 09:51 PM
There are a lot fo great teams that never were, though the Rockets with Hakeem and Drexler from the get go would have been great!

The Boston Celtics with Len Bias, Reggie Lewis and Nikos Galis (nod to Chronz for teaching me about Galis) to go along with Bird, McHale and Parish would have been an amazing roster!

The Hornets had a great pairing in Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning, but couldn't keep them together, and then of course, as a Raptors fan, I have to mention the potentially amazing pairing of Carter and McGrady that got busted up way too early :-(

But yeah, that Rockets roster was pretty impressive, but I was never much of a fan of Fitch.

jericho
11-08-2012, 10:08 PM
what if grant hill was injury free when he went to orlando and joined tmac and what if duncan signed with them like it was rumored 2 back then what if game sucks we all have our Q with a lot of speculation on how it would have played out not much we can do

jericho
11-08-2012, 10:14 PM
There are a lot fo great teams that never were, though the Rockets with Hakeem and Drexler from the get go would have been great!

The Boston Celtics with Len Bias, Reggie Lewis and Nikos Galis (nod to Chronz for teaching me about Galis) to go along with Bird, McHale and Parish would have been an amazing roster!

The Hornets had a great pairing in Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning, but couldn't keep them together, and then of course, as a Raptors fan, I have to mention the potentially amazing pairing of Carter and McGrady that got busted up way too early :-(

But yeah, that Rockets roster was pretty impressive, but I was never much of a fan of Fitch.

got curious and google him up. HOLY ****!!!!!!!!!! why didnt he come to the nba whats the story there what just what happen there.

netsgiantsyanks
11-08-2012, 10:19 PM
kidd-carter-martin would have been a nice trio.

Chronz
11-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Reid: The late, great Dennis Johnson, one time he brought the ball up to half court and I opened up the gate. He said, "Reid, what are you doing? You ain't going to play no defense?" I said, "Look down there. Do you feel lucky?" He cussed me out.

LOL

Chronz
11-08-2012, 10:29 PM
got curious and google him up. HOLY ****!!!!!!!!!! why didnt he come to the nba whats the story there what just what happen there.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=775270

SupeLongRichard
11-08-2012, 10:34 PM
I read some of it earlier today. Skipped the 2nd part (the long part). It was a great read. Imagine Hakeem not "wasting" the first half of his career. He'd be comfortably in the top 5 of all time if his teams were a little better in his first 10 years.

jericho
11-08-2012, 10:53 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=775270

damn they could have mached russels celtics if everything went right its sad that it didnt

THE MTL
11-08-2012, 11:36 PM
I didnt read it but I think the greatest team that never was is the PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS.

Think about the roster that had at one point that was NEVER healthy.

Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Oden, Nicholas Batum. Those are 3 franchise players and a REALLY good player. Oden had potential to be an all-time great center. And if Roy stayed healthy he would EASILY be the best SG in the NBA today

U thought OKC was good? Well, these Blazers were all drafted by the same team, they would have grown up together/ This team would have ANNIHILATED any team in the league if they were healthy/together.

Hellcrooner
11-09-2012, 12:15 AM
I like more what if Sabonis reported in time to blazers, the racist coach back then gave a a real chance to Petrovic ( slide clyde to Sf) and Fernando martin and injuries didnt derail Audie Norris.

Porter, Petrovic, Drexler; Buck Williams, Sabonis, + Vandeweghe, Duckworth, Norris, Martin, Ainge and so on.

A certain dude would have less than 6 rings.

Another good one is if cavs didnt trade ron harper for danny ferry :facepalm: and his injurys never happened

SirDJ
11-09-2012, 01:11 AM
hell of an article

Hellcrooner
11-09-2012, 02:03 AM
thinkg too bout Lucius Allen, Oscar robertson, JULIUS ERVIN, Dandrige, kareem

Damm was the DR J wrong not joining the bucks.

Heediot
11-09-2012, 06:17 AM
I like more what if Sabonis reported in time to blazers, the racist coach back then gave a a real chance to Petrovic ( slide clyde to Sf) and Fernando martin and injuries didnt derail Audie Norris.

Porter, Petrovic, Drexler; Buck Williams, Sabonis, + Vandeweghe, Duckworth, Norris, Martin, Ainge and so on.

A certain dude would have less than 6 rings.

Another good one is if cavs didnt trade ron harper for danny ferry :facepalm: and his injurys never happened

Man is Portland cursed. Sabonis could have been one of the best.