PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Sloan to Lakers Gaining Steam

LaLa_Land
11-06-2012, 09:21 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-mike-brown-on-the-hot-seat/

My belief is that the Lakers need to do this sooner rather than later. There is nothing Mike Brown can do to redeem himself. People may say, "its only 5 games, don't panic", but the guy's problems this year are identical to last years:

Poor rotations
Players play out of position..for no reason.. (Ebanks)
Ineptitude to get bench to play fluidly
Starters are stretched when they shouldn't be
Pulls young players after one or two mistakes
Fails to utilize stars properly
Miserable play calling in clutch moments
...and the players just don't seem to play hard for him.

The guys (other than Kobe) don't seem to have any confidence in Brown. Dwight gives very impersonal responses in regard to Brown during interviews, and he was even seen laughing at him upon being placed into the game while up 24 against the Pistons.

Sloan to the Lakers would be a Godsend. Kobe's field goal percentages are great and he his shooting very, very well from three. Sloan would instill the simplest of concepts to get the Lakers going smoothly. P&R Nash with Dwight, with Kobe moving off screens to get open looks.

P Harvy
11-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Sloaner boner

PraiseJesus
11-06-2012, 09:24 PM
smh

JasonJohnHorn
11-06-2012, 09:24 PM
I hope he would bring Stockton and Malone out or retirement if he came to the Lakers.... :-)

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Doubt it happens.

rocket
11-06-2012, 09:38 PM
No it's not gaining any steam.

Bishnoff
11-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Brown sucks.

MetroMan
11-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Brown de bezt

Chill_Will_24
11-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Nash and Howard pick and roll under Sloan?

:drool:

thephoenixson28
11-06-2012, 09:53 PM
They need someone like Diantoni.

Diabolical
11-06-2012, 09:56 PM
That would be great for the Lakers. A Lakers vs Nets finals would be great. Sloan would get back at Deron Williams. :P

Baller1
11-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Noooo... Please don't Sloan.

Slug3
11-06-2012, 10:03 PM
The thing with Sloan is he can sometimes butt heads with his stars. Hopefully if he goes they can all get along.

Munkeysuit
11-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Mike Brown is an idiot, his coach of the year award was handed to him by Lebron James.
At this point I do not know if Sloan is a good match, but what I do know is anyone else would be an upgrade.

Sssmush
11-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Sloane could not pull his authoritarian coach routine on a team of superstars like the Lakers.

Maybe he could adjust and just be a solid xs and os coach on the Lakers, but how can anybody not have doubts after watching him on Utah for so many years? He specializes in scrappy, cohesive, overachieving teams with no stars, or else one or two very lightweight and coachable "stars" like Malone or Stockton, who "know their place" and don't have egos; he's not going to be able to "mold" the Lakers to his ironclad system, nor would doing that be the best approach.

MetroMan
11-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Obama not looking good out there :(

shep33
11-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Not happening unless brown goes leads us to like a 5-10 record

Incublime24
11-06-2012, 10:59 PM
smh

Please, go on...

Evolution23
11-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Didn't they just beat the Pistons by 30? Why panic now?

jerellh528
11-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Didn't they just beat the Pistons by 30? Why panic now?
pistons suck, they should be beating most teams by 30

Lakerfan In NY
11-06-2012, 11:37 PM
too early for all this...

LaLa_Land
11-07-2012, 12:57 AM
It may be early, but what if it's too late? Its not like that lakers have some huge window to win titles...time is of the essence.

Just ask yourself this question, and answer in the eyes of a prospective GM:

"Does Mike Brown make my team better than Sloan or D'Antoni could"?

I am not sure what the answer to that question is, but I think that everyone could draw a viable conclusion during the 5 games after Nash comes back. Then the team will be whole (hopefully) and we could see what the potential of a Mike Brown lakeshow may be.

Doesn't mean much - but if it were me in the ownership role, I would give Sloan and D'Antoni private interviews out of the ever present glow of the media over the next few weeks.

TBH, I just don't see a realistic chance that Brown finishes the season. He is starting to turn into a walking punchline. Almost everyone criticizes his coaching decisions - and whether it is right or not, he is universally thought to be very stupid. I am not sure that the lakers management wants something like that as the face of their coaching staff.

LaLa_Land
11-07-2012, 01:02 AM
No it's not gaining any steam.

I appreciate your thoughtful, well-backed opinion. It's encouraging to see smart people out there.

LA_Raiders
11-07-2012, 01:17 AM
I would be great for LA, but I doubt it Potato head is the FOs Puppet...

beliges
11-07-2012, 04:11 AM
Its absolutely evident that the Lakers coaching staff is one of their biggest weaknesses. Lucky for them however they are one on the few teams in the league out there more than capable if winning a championship without a good coach. Kobe and Nash make that possible.

kbtwofour
11-07-2012, 04:38 AM
The Lakers need a coach that is respected around the league and a coach that the players will respect.

Mike Brown is a horrible head coach and horrible fit in LA. He will go down as the worst coach in Laker history.

thenaj17
11-07-2012, 06:55 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-mike-brown-on-the-hot-seat/

My belief is that the Lakers need to do this sooner rather than later. There is nothing Mike Brown can do to redeem himself. People may say, "its only 5 games, don't panic", but the guy's problems this year are identical to last years:

Poor rotations
Players play out of position..for no reason.. (Ebanks)
Ineptitude to get bench to play fluidly
Starters are stretched when they shouldn't be
Pulls young players after one or two mistakes
Fails to utilize stars properly
Miserable play calling in clutch moments
...and the players just don't seem to play hard for him.

The guys (other than Kobe) don't seem to have any confidence in Brown. Dwight gives very impersonal responses in regard to Brown during interviews, and he was even seen laughing at him upon being placed into the game while up 24 against the Pistons.

Sloan to the Lakers would be a Godsend. Kobe's field goal percentages are great and he his shooting very, very well from three. Sloan would instill the simplest of concepts to get the Lakers going smoothly. P&R Nash with Dwight, with Kobe moving off screens to get open looks.

The rotations aren't that bad at all. He's keeping 1 of Dwight/Pau in at all times and when Nash is back, he'll have 1 of Kobe/Nash in aswell mixed with 3 reserves. Give it time until everyone on the team knows the offense and rotations will start to even out.

Ebanks is technically a SF by name but so what? He's a wing player, 2 or 3 doesn't matter. I'd rather have Ebanks for defense than Meeks who is not only getting burned over and over again but looks completely lost on both ends. Having EBanks on the floor when Metta rests still gives us some defense when Jamison is playing SF. Mike Brown knows that Meeks and Jamison cannot play wing together, it's embarrasing.

The bench isn't fluid because they don't know the offense, a few players are new and still trying to fit in and find their place. Blame Brown if it still looks the same at he end of the year, not after 4 games. Last season was lockout with different offense again 1 year removed from phil and the Triangle so you can't judge on that.

Starters are stretched because the bench just isn't very good. It is not a worry to be playing these minutes this early. I'd lean on my stars and starters more this early in the season whilst learning a new offense and as the season goes on, this will ease off once the bench knows what they are doing.

Young players have been pulled when making ridiculous mistakes but what do you want to do? Leave them in there and cost us a bunch more games in the process? He's a little too panicky sometimes but when you see games slipping away because of poor bench play and it's been a recurring theme, these players have to earn your trust. They haven't done that so i'll defend Brown on this all day.

Star players are being used perfectly in this system. The only possible exception is Nash but pick and roll will be blended in as Mike Brown has said. Do you not think he used Bynum perfectly last year? Career numbers, all star place and recognised as 2nd best Centre - that's a coach giving his players best opportunity to thrive.

Play calling isn't a problem, he's not on the court failing to execute what has been drawn up because of sloppy ball handling, turnovers.

I agree that he doesn't seem to instill confidence or inspire his team as his body language is often terrible. But if you're not motivated to play well when earning millions of dollars and playing for the most famous franchise in all sports (maybe Yankees), then maybe they shouldn't be playing at all.

Evolution23
11-07-2012, 07:09 AM

It's only 4 games in.

KaganRS
11-07-2012, 07:42 AM

As a Pistons fan , I can confirm this.

LaLa_Land
11-07-2012, 06:02 PM
The rotations aren't that bad at all. He's keeping 1 of Dwight/Pau in at all times and when Nash is back, he'll have 1 of Kobe/Nash in aswell mixed with 3 reserves. Give it time until everyone on the team knows the offense and rotations will start to even out.

Ebanks is technically a SF by name but so what? He's a wing player, 2 or 3 doesn't matter. I'd rather have Ebanks for defense than Meeks who is not only getting burned over and over again but looks completely lost on both ends. Having EBanks on the floor when Metta rests still gives us some defense when Jamison is playing SF. Mike Brown knows that Meeks and Jamison cannot play wing together, it's embarrasing.

The bench isn't fluid because they don't know the offense, a few players are new and still trying to fit in and find their place. Blame Brown if it still looks the same at he end of the year, not after 4 games. Last season was lockout with different offense again 1 year removed from phil and the Triangle so you can't judge on that.

Starters are stretched because the bench just isn't very good. It is not a worry to be playing these minutes this early. I'd lean on my stars and starters more this early in the season whilst learning a new offense and as the season goes on, this will ease off once the bench knows what they are doing.

Young players have been pulled when making ridiculous mistakes but what do you want to do? Leave them in there and cost us a bunch more games in the process? He's a little too panicky sometimes but when you see games slipping away because of poor bench play and it's been a recurring theme, these players have to earn your trust. They haven't done that so i'll defend Brown on this all day.

Star players are being used perfectly in this system. The only possible exception is Nash but pick and roll will be blended in as Mike Brown has said. Do you not think he used Bynum perfectly last year? Career numbers, all star place and recognised as 2nd best Centre - that's a coach giving his players best opportunity to thrive.

Play calling isn't a problem, he's not on the court failing to execute what has been drawn up because of sloppy ball handling, turnovers.

I agree that he doesn't seem to instill confidence or inspire his team as his body language is often terrible. But if you're not motivated to play well when earning millions of dollars and playing for the most famous franchise in all sports (maybe Yankees), then maybe they shouldn't be playing at all.

I like everything you said, but when you combine all of those seemingly insignificant deficiencies, it makes for a poor situation overall. And by using Bynum "well", Gasol suffered and Kobe played astonishing minutes. Sessions was mis-used in the playoffs against Westbrook, I don't think he was put in a position to succeed - and that playoff series flop ultimately earned him the boot. Brown isn't providing a consistent atmosphere and clear-cut expections, he is very star-reliant (which isn't really coaching at all).

I disagree with you a lot on the idea of Ebanks though. Meeks has a better +/- because though he doesn't play as effective D, he is much, much more potent offensively. Similar concept to a lesser extent with Jamison.

I think the best chance for our bench is for them to style their play around breaking more often. They can't score in the half-court, so playing a style like the suns play (little D lotta offense, taking risks for steals) can suit them moreso than trying to be some defensive Juggernaut that can't score..but you need Jamison and Meeks out there to do that.

Heediot
11-07-2012, 06:50 PM
He's going to LA but to whichever team fires their HC first. Could be the Clippers.

nickdymez
11-07-2012, 06:52 PM
I called this 2 years ago

el hidalgo
11-07-2012, 08:25 PM
IMO i think kobe's ego will be too big for sloan. sloan couldnt work with deron williams, but he can work with egomaniac kobe? no chance. It would have to be kobe's way or the highway, and sloan wouldnt let that fly. dont see it happening.

--23--
11-07-2012, 08:43 PM
One of my fav coaches, it would be a great opportunity for him in LA (Lakers or Clippers)

MintBerryCrunch
11-07-2012, 08:48 PM
IMO i think kobe's ego will be too big for sloan. sloan couldnt work with deron williams, but he can work with egomaniac kobe? no chance. It would have to be kobe's way or the highway, and sloan wouldnt let that fly. dont see it happening.

Silence Hater

KnicksorBust
11-07-2012, 09:01 PM

Do you even realize how many years and how many players Sloan coached? He was the longest tenured coach in the NBA before he "retired." He gives credibility to a locker room and is significantly more accomplished than Mike Brown.

I hate early season coaching changes but this once makes a lot of sense... It would also give Nash a better chance to succeed.