PDA

View Full Version : Magic Johnson's thoughts on the Knicks

RonE Coleman
11-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Earvin Magic Johnson ‏@MagicJohnson
After watching the Knicks beat the Sixers last night, I have no doubt that they are legit.

Earvin Magic Johnson ‏@MagicJohnson
I know it's early, but both the Knicks & the Heat are going to be the teams to beat in the East.

Might not be thread worthy but I'm glad to see someone finally showing the Knicks some respect.

I'd take his opinion over anyone who posts on this site.

knicks=love
11-06-2012, 06:37 PM
ok.. it's only 3 games, though. let's not get out of control here.

Hawkeye15
11-06-2012, 06:38 PM
I mean, the Knicks have started off great, they have. But too many ex-players have stuck their foot in their mouth, and run teams into the ground with their talent evaluation for me to take much stock in their opinions.

That being said, if we started the playoffs right now, the Knicks would be looking awesome. But that is why they play 82 of them..

RonE Coleman
11-06-2012, 06:40 PM
ok.. it's only 3 games, though. let's not get out of control here.

Agreed...I don't think we beat Miami but no other team in the East scares me what so ever.

I don't think there is anything stopping us from the 2 seed in the East and a top 5-8 record overall.

RonE Coleman
11-06-2012, 06:42 PM
I mean, the Knicks have started off great, they have. But too many ex-players have stuck their foot in their mouth, and run teams into the ground with their talent evaluation for me to take much stock in their opinions.

That being said, if we started the playoffs right now, the Knicks would be looking awesome. But that is why they play 82 of them..

Yes but Magic is not just some average kind of ex player...

I'm not saying this really means anything, but its just good to know that we are finally being noticed.

I haven't seen this kind of tough defensive basketball from the Knicks since the Ewing days.

Cal827
11-06-2012, 06:44 PM
THE KNICKS ARE BACK!

But on a more serious note, their wins have been quite impressive. Still a little bit to work on though. I definitely think they can beat Boston for the division, but some things are also dependent on whether or not Amar'e can be properly added back to the rotation.

jmoney85
11-06-2012, 06:44 PM

I'm not saying this really means anything, but its just good to know that we are finally being noticed.

I haven't seen this kind of tough defensive basketball from the Knicks since the Ewing days.

jordan is the GOAT and he has superb talent evaluation

KnicksorBust
11-06-2012, 06:46 PM
I really think this can be merged with the other Knicks thread.

Kashmir13579
Too early. Magic says a lot of things.

Blitzbolt
Magic J last year on ABC sunday games.

Lakers wins =KOBE MVP
HEAT wins=Lebron Mvp
OKC wins=KD

He Flip flop so much is hard to take him seriously.

Nick O
magic johnson is cool and all.... but like... so? .. im pretty sure anyone could some to this conclusion :P

BigBlueCrew
11-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Why is it so bad to be excited???

If the Knicks were struggling I have NO doubt we'd be hearing about it from the same posters who are same "its only three games"

ball4reel
11-06-2012, 06:58 PM
We are gonna catch hell when we drop 1.

Pluvious
11-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Might not be thread worthy but I'm glad to see someone finally showing the Knicks some respect.

I'd take his opinion over anyone who posts on this site.

I didn't read the rest of the responses yet because your comment was so fascinatingly :facepalm::eyebrow:.

"Finally"? Really? The Knicks have not deserved any respect for years...in fact the opposite. If they do turn it around this year then great. But the team has to earn its stripes. Knicks fans every offseason brag about how great their team is. And every year they are WRONG.

Note: I actually like the team this year...Anthony as the focus and a defensive team that has veterans and spot up shooters. Makes sense. Amare doesn't fit that and they are a little thin in some areas but they'll be a solid team. Not a title type team though.

HouRealCoach
11-06-2012, 07:10 PM
I knew this would happen... The minute Knicks lose a game people will act like it's the end of the world

Basketball teams in this era are treated like NFL teams now and judged off of every single game

Hawkeye15
11-06-2012, 07:13 PM

Michael Jordan is the greatest player to ever walk, but he is a sinking ship as a talent evaluator...

RonE Coleman
11-06-2012, 07:14 PM
I didn't read the rest of the responses yet because your comment was so fascinatingly :facepalm::eyebrow:.

"Finally"? Really? The Knicks have not deserved any respect for years...in fact the opposite. If they do turn it around this year then great. But the team has to earn its stripes. Knicks fans every offseason brag about how great their team is. And every year they are WRONG.

Note: I actually like the team this year...Anthony as the focus and a defensive team that has veterans and spot up shooters. Makes sense. Amare doesn't fit that and they are a little thin in some areas but they'll be a solid team. Not a title type team though.

Yawn.

AddiX
Magicjohnson is by far one of the worst NBA analyst, I can care less for his opinion, and listening to him talk makes me suicidal.

RonE Coleman
Michael Jordan is the greatest player to ever walk, but he is a sinking ship as a talent evaluator...

Wasn't me who said he was lol

D2theJ
11-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Knicks do look really good but still very early. My only question mark is other than Anthony, who is really a realiable scorer? Right now they are moving the ball well and hitting their shots, but all they really have is perimeter shooters other than Anthony (who himself takes a lot of perimeter shots). Thats where I think Amare will be important to bring them a go to offensive player whether its as a starter or off the bench.

blahblahyoutoo
11-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Heat had an off night, and I'm just waiting for amare to come back and ruin the chemistry and floor spacing.

nycericanguy
11-06-2012, 07:35 PM

I think you underrated them and their additions. They are built to withstand injuries such as the current ones to Amare, Camby & Shump. They'll probably have more injuries just like any other team, but unless 5-6 guys go out at once, they have enough depth at every position to really not miss a beat.

Pluvious
11-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Yawn.

Well, I'm genuinely curious why you said "finally" get some respect. What were you thinking when you typed that? Finally after 3 games or finally after all these seasons?

I don't get it...:confused:

kyubi256
11-06-2012, 07:39 PM
This is a PG who respects good point guard play. It is premature but nice to hear the praise since our biggest problem last year was PG and now it's like our biggest asset. That and defensive intensity

numba1CHANGsta
11-06-2012, 07:41 PM
These early records dont mean anything come late April-June, people need to relax and stop judging teams by the first 3-5 games of the season :facepalm:

StarvingKnick22
11-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Knicks arent that good, we beat a tired Miami and a weak Sixers team.

AddiX
11-06-2012, 08:01 PM
I won't judge the Knicks on how good they are yet.

But I can tell you this for sure, this is the first time in a long time I've seen 3 straight games from them, that they have actually played the right way, consistently on every play.

The rotations on defense, the ball movement, the cuts, the spacing, it's a completely different team from the mike d error plagued basketball we have seen over the years.

That in itself is a major improvement.

A lot of our pickups have also been greatly overlooked.

Hawkeye15
11-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Wasn't me who said he was lol

That's my point is all. I think every ex-player has some bias in them, and many simply don't evaluate the game they were great at well. Many of them are constantly wrong, where as some short fat bald dudes who study the game and its history, while weighing analytics, are far more accurate when all is said and done. That being said, there is no replacement for the in game knowledge many of the ex-players have, so it's not as if many of their opinions need to be tossed aside because Michael Jordan and Kevin McHale couldn't manage a Burger King.

blastmasta26
11-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Look I'm excited too, but this means nothing coming from Magic. Only 3 games have been played, two of them against a Sixers team that was missing probably its best player. And Miami honestly didn't play up to par in the first game.

Now we still haven't seen Shumpert, Amare, or Camby take the floor, which means the Knicks can be even better. So there is certainly reason for optimism. But let's not get carried away.

JasonJohnHorn
11-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Didn't NY just play an undermanned Philly team twice? What's the bfd?

nycericanguy
11-06-2012, 09:03 PM

Same undermanned PHI team that blew out DEN.

You don't see a big deal in spanking MIA and then PHI on a back to back?

Holding teams to 85ppg, while scoring well over 100?

It's not just 3-0, its been sheer dominance.

meloman1592
11-06-2012, 09:23 PM
We are gonna catch hell when we drop 1.

this..if we dont go 82 and 0 we're gonna suck to psd posters

JasonJohnHorn
11-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Same undermanned PHI team that blew out DEN.

You don't see a big deal in spanking MIA and then PHI on a back to back?

Holding teams to 85ppg, while scoring well over 100?

It's not just 3-0, its been sheer dominance.

No... I don't see the big deal. It's a good start, but the Spurs are riding a 14-game regular season winning streak and are 4-0 on the season, the blew out the Pacers and won a tight game with the Thunder and got two more wins under the belt besides and nobody is going on about them.

Philly's two best scorers (Richardson and Bynum) were out due to injury and Iggy was trade who was one of their better scorers. Of course they didn't score a lot.

The Miami game was impressive, granted, but just because Philly beat Denver doesn't mean I should be impressed by NY blowing out Philly on back-to-back nights.

I am excited about NY. I think Woodson is a great coach and NY has one of the most talented rosters in the league and is filled with potential and I hope to see them play to their max potential this season because that would be fun to watch. But I'm not going to pop a bonner three games into the season because a big market team blew out a short handed team twice.

I mean, the Spurs are 14-0 since last season and nobody but me is going on about that!

The Bucks and Magic are undefeated, nobody is going on about them. If Portland, or Minny were undefeated, nobody would be going on about them either.

This is a good start. Something to build on, and greatness comes one step at a time. NY is walking in the right direction, but it's too early to tell whether this much hype should be made about them just yet.

kyubi256
11-06-2012, 09:59 PM

The big deal is that most teams usually don't win against the same opponent twice in a row. ESPECIALLY if they blow them out in the first game. The NBA is too talented to have that happen.

Even though they are undermanned, that is still hard to do. There are 82 games in the season. Teams are bound to lose questionable games. Surprised Knicks didn't against Philly

Jint.
11-06-2012, 10:12 PM
I agree with Magic

knicksfan42
11-06-2012, 10:20 PM

What you say here is true, but you were way way way off with your analysis of the Knicks offseason acquisitions. We didn't get marginally better we got significantly better.

The IQ department is where the improvement is most evident. Jason Kidd has been excellent he ensures the ball is always moving, the offense never gets stagnant. If hockey assists were measured Jason Kidd would be averaging 10+ per game. Honestly his impact is indescribable you just have to see it. He was worth every penny and I'm ready to give him an extension right now I don't give a **** how old he is. Oh and he is for sure still an above average defender. Felton and Prigioni are no slouches either. Felton looks like 2010-11 Felton minus much of the bad selection. And Prigioni is an excellent passer and a good defender, and possibly a solid shooter (he's solid when he actually decides to shoot but he overpasses way too much), I just wish we could have signed the guy 10-15 years ago. Either one of the three blows TD (worst player in the NBA who started for the first 3rd of the previous season) way out of the ****ing water.

You said Ronnie Brewer is going to be a stop gap until Shumpert returns, well let me tell you that from what I've seen he is better than Shumpert. He is a better defender, a better passer, and plays with an overall higher bball IQ. Oh and as of recently his shot has been wet. I don't know if thats going to last, but if it does and he could give an efficient 10-12 PPG than I see Shumpert having to work pretty hard to overtake the starting spot. Last bit on Ronnie's play, he has taken absolutely ZERO plays off this season. He hustles and plays defense every single play. For the vet minimum Brewer is a steal plain and simple. My biggest concern with Brewer right now is retaining him past this season.

Kurt has also been solid. Sheed's an ok end of the bench guy, he got a few blocks but otherwise his defense hasn't looked good. Non factor though.

Oh and Camby (one of the best rebounders in the league the past few seasons) hasn't even played yet.

Melo has been playing great defense and playing within the offense a lot more. I expect him to dispel the myth of him being a subpar defender this season.

Our team chemistry (thanks largely to our three new PGs) has seen a tremendous improvement over last year and is really what's going to push us over the top (out of the first round) this year. Our defense and ball movement are extraordinary right and I don't see that changing any time soon. At least until the dreaded return of Amare. That's something we'll deal with when we get to it.

I wasn't happy when we re-signed Woodson, but I can't argue with the results. The chemistry, defense, and rotations are great, the players are motivated. I couldn't ask for more from him right now.

Oh and to the people saying its just 3 games. Since Woodson became coach the Knicks have gone 21-6. 27 games is, I think, a decent sample size.

Even if we don't end up being great I can honestly say I have a team I enjoy watching. A team that plays ball the right way.

D-Leethal
11-06-2012, 10:31 PM
No... I don't see the big deal. It's a good start, but the Spurs are riding a 14-game regular season winning streak and are 4-0 on the season, the blew out the Pacers and won a tight game with the Thunder and got two more wins under the belt besides and nobody is going on about them.

Philly's two best scorers (Richardson and Bynum) were out due to injury and Iggy was trade who was one of their better scorers. Of course they didn't score a lot.

The Miami game was impressive, granted, but just because Philly beat Denver doesn't mean I should be impressed by NY blowing out Philly on back-to-back nights.

I am excited about NY. I think Woodson is a great coach and NY has one of the most talented rosters in the league and is filled with potential and I hope to see them play to their max potential this season because that would be fun to watch. But I'm not going to pop a bonner three games into the season because a big market team blew out a short handed team twice.

I mean, the Spurs are 14-0 since last season and nobody but me is going on about that!

The Bucks and Magic are undefeated, nobody is going on about them. If Portland, or Minny were undefeated, nobody would be going on about them either.

This is a good start. Something to build on, and greatness comes one step at a time. NY is walking in the right direction, but it's too early to tell whether this much hype should be made about them just yet.

The Spurs have been doing this for 14 straight years. Thats why its not a big deal.

Chronz
11-07-2012, 12:15 AM
I dont take Magic all that seriously anymore

D-Leethal
11-07-2012, 12:25 AM
I dont take Magic all that seriously anymore

Why not?

Patrick Ewing33
11-07-2012, 12:28 AM
If the Knicks play like this consistanly they will be the second best team in the east.. I just dont see a better team that the Knicks, besides the Heat. But lets see if they could keep it up.

Hawkeye15
11-07-2012, 01:23 AM
What you say here is true, but you were way way way off with your analysis of the Knicks offseason acquisitions. We didn't get marginally better we got significantly better.

The IQ department is where the improvement is most evident. Jason Kidd has been excellent he ensures the ball is always moving, the offense never gets stagnant. If hockey assists were measured Jason Kidd would be averaging 10+ per game. Honestly his impact is indescribable you just have to see it. He was worth every penny and I'm ready to give him an extension right now I don't give a **** how old he is. Oh and he is for sure still an above average defender. Felton and Prigioni are no slouches either. Felton looks like 2010-11 Felton minus much of the bad selection. And Prigioni is an excellent passer and a good defender, and possibly a solid shooter (he's solid when he actually decides to shoot but he overpasses way too much), I just wish we could have signed the guy 10-15 years ago. Either one of the three blows TD (worst player in the NBA who started for the first 3rd of the previous season) way out of the ****ing water.

You said Ronnie Brewer is going to be a stop gap until Shumpert returns, well let me tell you that from what I've seen he is better than Shumpert. He is a better defender, a better passer, and plays with an overall higher bball IQ. Oh and as of recently his shot has been wet. I don't know if thats going to last, but if it does and he could give an efficient 10-12 PPG than I see Shumpert having to work pretty hard to overtake the starting spot. Last bit on Ronnie's play, he has taken absolutely ZERO plays off this season. He hustles and plays defense every single play. For the vet minimum Brewer is a steal plain and simple. My biggest concern with Brewer right now is retaining him past this season.

Kurt has also been solid. Sheed's an ok end of the bench guy, he got a few blocks but otherwise his defense hasn't looked good. Non factor though.

Oh and Camby (one of the best rebounders in the league the past few seasons) hasn't even played yet.

Melo has been playing great defense and playing within the offense a lot more. I expect him to dispel the myth of him being a subpar defender this season.

Our team chemistry (thanks largely to our three new PGs) has seen a tremendous improvement over last year and is really what's going to push us over the top (out of the first round) this year. Our defense and ball movement are extraordinary right and I don't see that changing any time soon. At least until the dreaded return of Amare. That's something we'll deal with when we get to it.

I wasn't happy when we re-signed Woodson, but I can't argue with the results. The chemistry, defense, and rotations are great, the players are motivated. I couldn't ask for more from him right now.

Oh and to the people saying its just 3 games. Since Woodson became coach the Knicks have gone 21-6. 27 games is, I think, a decent sample size.

Even if we don't end up being great I can honestly say I have a team I enjoy watching. A team that plays ball the right way.

Need more time before I am convinced, sorry. Amare will actually hurt you guys when he gets back, and he will get minutes. I think the age of the roster is such that injuries will set in throughout the season.

Time will tell. I still had NY fighting for HCA in the playoffs, despite all of this, during the preseason.

Captain Moroni
11-07-2012, 01:32 AM
Knicks do look really good but still very early. My only question mark is other than Anthony, who is really a realiable scorer? Right now they are moving the ball well and hitting their shots, but all they really have is perimeter shooters other than Anthony (who himself takes a lot of perimeter shots). Thats where I think Amare will be important to bring them a go to offensive player whether its as a starter or off the bench.

Raymond Felton is showing a solid mid range shot to go along with a nice 3 point game. JR Smith is a Bonafide scorer as well. Jason Kidd playing the 2 right now is a deep and spot up threat. Novak is probably the best pure shooter in the league.
Knicks have plenty of perimeter shooters and inside scorers. Might want to watch them play a game or two, this team can score in so many ways. And play very unselfish ball
As a matter of Fact, JR Smith was scolded by coach Woodson and told to shoot more he was passing so much.
And to think we had Landry fields at the 2.

Captain Moroni
11-07-2012, 01:42 AM
Need more time before I am convinced, sorry. Amare will actually hurt you guys when he gets back, and he will get minutes. I think the age of the roster is such that injuries will set in throughout the season.

Time will tell. I still had NY fighting for HCA in the playoffs, despite all of this, during the preseason.

No one can predict injuries. But age has little to do with it.
Look at who s out right now.
Rose
Bynum
Love
Stoudemire
Nowitski
Rubio
The list goes on. And almost all haven't even hit 30 yet.

What people don't see with the Knicks, is that they more than most can actually handle injuries.
Their front court is stocked, chandler, Camby,Stat, Wallace, Thomas are all veteran players who can play. Camby gets back on Friday. Wallace is showing no ill effects of a two year layoff. One or two go down, three more are still there.

Melo, Novak, smith, Copeland can all score.

Kidd, Prigioni, and Felton are all solid PGs.

Very deep team. Add Shumpert.....not too shabby.

Hawkeye15
11-07-2012, 01:45 AM
No one can predict injuries. But age has little to do with it.
Look at who s out right now.
Rose
Bynum
Love
Stoudemire
Nowitski
Rubio
The list goes on. And almost all haven't even hit 30 yet.

What people don't see with the Knicks, is that they more than most can actually handle injuries.
Their front court is stocked, chandler, Camby, Wallace, Thomas are all veteran players who can play. Camby gets back on Friday. Wallace is showing no ill effects of a two year layoff. One or two go down, three more are till there.

Melo, Novak, smith, Copeland can all score.

Kidd, Prigioni, and Felton are all solid PGs.

Very deep team. Add Shumpert.....not too shabby.

Age does matter at some point dude. It will limit minutes, older players tend to deal with nagging injuries that younger men don't have. Rose, Love, and Rubio had freak injuries. Amare and Dirk are lingering, etc.

Fact is, there may very well be times this year when they have a few guys go down for a stretch. Am I nostradamus? No. But age is age dude. I am 37. Things just get tougher the older you get.

Chronz
11-07-2012, 02:06 AM
Why not?

I cant think of anything specific but I know Ive gone WTF is he thinking quite abit with him. Nothing against the Knicks but you dont know much about any team within 3 games. You might be able to see if a team that is suppose to be crap is suddenly competitive and that could change your outlook on them but overall I think we need to chill on any sort of prediction. I think people miss basketball so much that when it finally comes back we treat it like the NFL, in how every week carries so much significance.

After about a month or so, reality sets in that players/teams will have highs and lows throughout the year and that its the overall quality of play and peaking at the right moment that matters.

AddiX
11-07-2012, 02:13 AM

Mark my words, amare won't be handed anything this year. Team is playing well , melo loves his position at pf. Chandler gets easy buckets without him and isn't working overtime to cover him up on d.

And believe me, we didn't bring in Thomas, camby, and Wallace, because of our faith in amare.

The idea this team owes amare anything is long gone. Amares leash was short before the season started, the more we win, the shorter it gets.

Gritz
11-07-2012, 02:23 AM
Who cares? How do I get ahold of some "Magic Johnson Insurance"?

Antipod
11-07-2012, 02:30 AM
Ppl, especially NYK fans, need to chill .. it`s just the beginning of the season ... also, when Amre will be back he`ll f* up the chemistry and the losses will come :D

nycericanguy
11-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Age does matter at some point dude. It will limit minutes, older players tend to deal with nagging injuries that younger men don't have. Rose, Love, and Rubio had freak injuries. Amare and Dirk are lingering, etc.

Fact is, there may very well be times this year when they have a few guys go down for a stretch. Am I nostradamus? No. But age is age dude. I am 37. Things just get tougher the older you get.

They already so, Amare, Shump & Camby. But they are not missing a beat.

Unless half their roster goes down at once they'll be fine.

AI
11-07-2012, 09:27 AM
I love how people predict Amare will screw things up. Do you know that for a fact? No, stop trolling and let the games be played.

JayW_1023
11-07-2012, 09:31 AM
I do like Melo as PF. Amare should be a part-time player until he proves otherwise.

nycericanguy
11-07-2012, 09:36 AM
I love how people predict Amare will screw things up. Do you know that for a fact? No, stop trolling and let the games be played.

Not to mention people ignore the fact that the big 3 of Chandler/Amare & Melo was 8-2 under Woodson last year and dominated IND on back to back nights.

Amare and NY in general struggled under D'antoni, under Woodson NY is now 21-6 with a +12ppg differential.

Amare is going to help NY, not hurt them.

SteBO
11-07-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm aware they went 8-2 under Woodson, but I'd like to know who they played during that 10 game span. This is the regular season, where games can very well be won on talent alone with disregards to actual chemistry, which is something that hasn't been great between 'Melo-Amare. I'm sorry, but there hasn't been anything over this 2 year experiment that tells me that Amare is all of a sudden going to help them. Amare is probably going to have to accept a bench role if the Knicks continue to win games at this pace.

nycericanguy
11-07-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm aware they went 8-2 under Woodson, but I'd like to know who they played during that 10 game span. This is the regular season, where games can very well be won on talent alone with disregards to actual chemistry, which is something that hasn't been great between 'Melo-Amare. I'm sorry, but there hasn't been anything over this 2 year experiment that tells me that Amare is all of a sudden going to help them. Amare is probably going to have to accept a bench role if the Knicks continue to win games at this pace.

Ironically that was actually one of their tougher stretches of the year in terms of SOS. Including a dominating back to back set against Indiana.

NY just has alot of stigmas attached to them, for years it was "they don't play defense", even when they actually started playing defense. Now its "Amare will screw it up", even though they have been great with Amare under Woodson.

SteBO
11-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Ironically that was actually one of their tougher stretches of the year in terms of SOS. Including a dominating back to back set against Indiana.

NY just has alot of stigmas attached to them, for years it was "they don't play defense", even when they actually started playing defense. Now its "Amare will screw it up", even though they have been great with Amare under Woodson.
I do remember that, and it helps the Knick fans' case. I think the Knicks are the real deal this year because of their commitment defensively right now, and their surprising bench production, at least to me. The guy that stands out the most to me is Prigioni. Their depth at the PG position isn't anywhere as bad as I originally thought comingin to the year.

Pluvious
11-07-2012, 01:45 PM

He's one of (if not the worst) defensive players in the league and he plays an important defensive/rebounding position (pf). And the Knicks are playing great defense right now so they don't need him. Whether he messes them up on offense you can certainly argue (he probably will) but defensively he will positively hurt.

nycericanguy
11-07-2012, 01:51 PM
He's one of (if not the worst) defensive players in the league and he plays an important defensive/rebounding position (pf). And the Knicks are playing great defense right now so they don't need him. Whether he messes them up on offense you can certainly argue (he probably will) but defensively he will positively hurt.

He did fine under Woody, and say what you want but he makes NY bigger and he's still a very good rebounder and shot blocker.

Not EVERY single player on a roster has to be great defensively, heck most of the "elite" PF's play horrible defense.