PDA

View Full Version : James Harden Wanted More Time To Consider Final Offer From OKC, given only 1 hour

JordansBulls
11-06-2012, 03:09 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--james-harden-disappointed-thunder-didn-t-give-him-more-time-to-consider-offer-06561809.html

Reflecting back on his trade from the Oklahoma City Thunder, James Harden is disappointed that his former team's front office only gave him one hour to consider their final offer of a four-year, $54 million contract.

"After everything we established everything we had done you give me an hour?" Harden told Yahoo! Sports on Monday afternoon. "This was one of the biggest decisions of my life. I wanted to go home and pray about it. It hurt me. It hurt."

"I think they valued my talent there," Harden said. "They built me there: my work ethic, my body. They changed my life. I think they know how good I can be."

Andrew32
11-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Wow... OKC management = :facepalm:

KnickaBocka.44
11-06-2012, 03:12 PM
That's a big time fail

Hawkeye15
11-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Presti needed time to make sure the trade went through with Houston having ample time to create their own offer.

Does seem butch though.

pacofunk64
11-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Here Harden was getting a lot of blame for not wanting to stick with OKC. There is always two sides to a story. Maybe OKC really didn't want to fork out that much money to him?

chitown4eva88
11-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Really okc you just threw your chance at a title out the window!!

Toronto_Fan
11-06-2012, 03:32 PM
1 hour is dissapointing, but like they say, this is a business.

PleaseBeNice
11-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Damn

Nick O
11-06-2012, 03:34 PM
im sure hes happy being a #1 option tho

rocket
11-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Idiots

yojoe792
11-06-2012, 03:37 PM
1 hour is dissapointing, but like they say, this is a business.

Yeah, and any smart business owner treats his employees with a little respect. What a failure.

69centers
11-06-2012, 03:37 PM
If OKC and Durant never win a title, this will forever be talked about.

Dade County
11-06-2012, 03:40 PM
But they was trying to work on the deal for a month...

OKC is still crazy though... I would have bounced Perkins

Dade County
11-06-2012, 03:43 PM
If OKC and Durant never win a title, this will forever be talked about.

And that will lead to this ... http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=774616

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-06-2012, 03:46 PM
But they was trying to work on the deal for a month...

OKC is still crazy though... I would have bounced Perkins

I think they end up amnesty Perkins this summer.

Baller1
11-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Presti ****ed up bad.

MackShock
11-06-2012, 04:14 PM
well..26 million more aint bad bad

Ebbs
11-06-2012, 04:16 PM
It's not like Martin has done bad filling in for Harden though

kenzo400
11-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Last i heard they negotiated for months. Sounds to me like he wanted to think about it over the season and they wanted to settle the issue before it began. Can't blame OKC for that.

b@llhog24
11-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Figured as much. After the trade went down everybody was on here calling Harden a ***** and saying how he doesn't wanna win. There's no loyalty in sports my friends.

torocan
11-06-2012, 05:05 PM
The amount of time to negotiate (1 month) isn't really the issue as they were most likely moving back and forth on various issues.

My issue with what Presti did is when you reach a FINAL negotiation position, IE, "This is it. My last and best offer.", you do NOT give them ONE hour to decide. You're FAR more likely to get pushback than someone coming around to your side.

What he should have said was, "Ok, you have until tomorrow morning. Otherwise, we're going to trade you. We have to do what's best for the organization."

This would have given him time to reflect on EVERYTHING that was in play, instead of just the money on the line.

Sure, he might have gone anyway, but when you've had a player for that long, it's a common courtesy to at least give them the night to think about it.

If the timeline was so short, he SHOULD have given Harden the ultimatum EARLIER so that it didn't become a rush at the end.

Screw up by Presti in my books.

NBAfan4life
11-06-2012, 05:31 PM
You guys are all acting like this was the first offer. He had plenty of time to consider his options. I got respect for Presti even if I think he moved the wrong player.

We all at one point and time have complained about the players having to much control. Presti took control and got a fair offer. I think Harden should of stayed but ultimately the Thunder could of only gave him 6 million more dollars.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-06-2012, 05:38 PM
In a way, I feel OKC also lost that excitement and buzz that Harden generated, a lot of decreased merchandise sales. They can't sell those velcrow Harden beards anymore. So not only do I feel they got worse on the court in the long run, business wise and marketing wise, not a good move.

I mean, Kevin Martin isn't really that marketable player.

JNA17
11-06-2012, 05:51 PM
OKC fail :facepalm:

Just when they finally had a team that can compete for years to come, they blow it up when someone doesn't accept them right away.

They should have two GMs. One: Sam Presti for drafting. Two: TBA GM for trading, because Sam Presti is a fool when it comes to trading. First Jeff Green, now this.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-06-2012, 05:54 PM
OKC fail :facepalm:

Just when they finally had a team that can compete for years to come, they blow it up when someone doesn't accept them right away.

They should have two GMs. One: Sam Presti for drafting. Two: TBA GM for trading, because Sam Presti is a fool when it comes to trading. First Jeff Green, now this.

Good point. They're lucky they have the amnesty clause (due to the new CBA) to use on Perk next summer or else they'd be stuck with his bad contract and wouldn't be able to sign a young stud like Eric Maynor and possibly Jeremy Lamb in the near future to long term lucrative deals and would probably have to get rid of one of them in the future.

bucketss
11-06-2012, 05:54 PM
thats loyalty for you.

IBleedPurple
11-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Likely he had decided if OKC was a place he wanted to stay or not, way before the negotiations heated up.

Then you would have to think he had a number in his head where he would sign or not. At least that is the way that most people would be thinking while going into this process.

At least give the guy a few hours, but Harden should've been prepared IMO. He didn't get that emergency prayer session lol.

JNA17
11-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Good point. They're lucky they have the amnesty clause (due to the new CBA) to use on Perk next summer or else they'd be stuck with his bad contract and wouldn't be able to sign a young stud like Eric Maynor and possibly Jeremy Lamb in the near future to long term lucrative deals and would probably have to get rid of one of them in the future.

It boggles my mind on why OKC couldn't just trade Westbrook instead. He's not a PG. He's a combo guard and doesn't work well with Durant. Not to mention chemistry issues that could turn into kobe/shaq chemistry in the future (only without the rings to fix it). We all know this, OKC knows this, EVERYBODY that's a basketball fan knows this.

Yet, instead of trading Westbrook, they trade the one guy that single handedly dominates any opposing 2nd unit out there, a guy who creates for himself AND OTHERS better than Westbrook ever can or could, and a more efficant scorer than Westbrook, and it already shows.

It's already a popular opinion, especially now i know, but Westbrook for Rondo would have really put the team over the top. Hell best for both teams to. Westbrook gets his own team and the Celtics have a star to build with, and OKC get a pure point guard who can play with even better assets with Harden, Durant and Ibaka.

Hustla23
11-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Why OKC didn't just amnesty Perkins and use that money to sign Harden is beyond me.

Congrats, you're stuck with a fat stiff at center and you lost one of the best players in the league.

Imagine Durant and Westbrook call it quits too. They'd look really smart then.

waveycrockett
11-06-2012, 06:29 PM
OKC did the right thing. They got a nice haul.

THE MTL
11-06-2012, 06:38 PM
OKC messed up but Harden still REJECTED their offer of 54 million dollars. I mean what else was there to do? You dont get any closer to the max than that (and dont say 58 or 59 million cause thats basically the max).

Harden obviously wasnt taking anything less than the max and OKC cannot afford it. They also received a great deal for Harden (way more than what Orl got for Howard).

In the end, I highly doubt it would have worked out. Harden would have dragged it into the season like every other "superstar" does in the league now-a-days

IndyRealist
11-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Consider also that Houston might have put the pressure on, saying their deal was off the table at the end of the day. OKC needed to know right away if Harden was in, or if they needed draw up paperwork for the trade.

tapajafri
11-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Really okc you just threw your chance at a title out the window!!

No.... stop. They're still a legit title contender. Kevin Martin is a solid player. He had 28 points off the bench in OKC's last game.

I don't understand why everyone is acting like OKC gave Harden away for nothing? Im not saying Martin is better than Harden, but Martin is a very good player. OKC is still a contender. Everyone needs to stop acting like this trade just put OKC out of title contention.

IndyRealist
11-06-2012, 06:54 PM
OKC messed up but Harden still REJECTED their offer of 54 million dollars. I mean what else was there to do? You dont get any closer to the max than that (and dont say 58 or 59 million cause thats basically the max).

Harden obviously wasnt taking anything less than the max and OKC cannot afford it. They also received a great deal for Harden (way more than what Orl got for Howard).

In the end, I highly doubt it would have worked out. Harden would have dragged it into the season like every other "superstar" does in the league now-a-days

Why is $5M a big deal for OKC, enough to trade him away, but it shouldn't be a big deal for Harden?

Money_23
11-06-2012, 07:35 PM
their loss. Harden is definitely better than Westbrook.

daboywonder2002
11-06-2012, 08:04 PM
you guys kill me with the amnesty perkins crap. perkins is still a solid center in this league. you cant just put anybody at the 5 spot on the thunder. ive watched ibaka play at center and he is terrible there. perks job isnt to score, its low post defense, set solid screens.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-06-2012, 08:16 PM
No.... stop. They're still a legit title contender. Kevin Martin is a solid player. He had 28 points off the bench in OKC's last game.

I don't understand why everyone is acting like OKC gave Harden away for nothing? Im not saying Martin is better than Harden, but Martin is a very good player. OKC is still a contender. Everyone needs to stop acting like this trade just put OKC out of title contention.

There's a difference between a shoe-in for the Finals (Harden), and being a contender (Kevin Martin).

Trust me, if there was a gap between the Thunder and the Lakers, after the Harden trade, that gap has narrowed for sure.

Supa
11-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Can't wait til OKC play Houston.

---