PDA

View Full Version : Will OJ Mayo finally live up to potential with the Mavs?

LTBaByyy
11-06-2012, 11:02 AM
21.5 PPG 2.5 APG 3.3 RPG so far this season and just came off 2 back to back 30 point games

.51% FG%
.67% 3P%
.90% FT%

When Dirk comes back he will get even more points and assist playing the 2 man game pick and roll with Dirk just like Terry did

nycericanguy
11-06-2012, 11:03 AM
the 67% 3 pt shooting suggest he's just had a hot 3 games, because no player can ever keep that up.

justinnum1
11-06-2012, 11:04 AM
bulls could have had oj mayo instead of hinrich.

NYKnickFanatic
11-06-2012, 11:06 AM
I would like to see how he plays with Dirk first. But he has been playing really good. I believe he needs to get his assists and rebounds up more, he can do it too.

LTBaByyy
11-06-2012, 11:08 AM
He has shot 18-27 from threes so it's not like he is 3 for 4 he has shot a lot, he is in the gym more than anyone else on the team shooting and has late night shooting sessions with Carlisle every night after watching film together

He is serious if you watched him play

He didnt care in Memphis

LTBaByyy
11-06-2012, 11:10 AM
I don't know why Pacers and Bulls didnt pursue Mayo hard

Only teams that really wanted him bad was Lakers, Mavs, and Suns

Gram
11-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Oj Mayo.

Swashcuff
11-06-2012, 11:16 AM
OMG an LTBabyyy sighting? :laugh2:

OJ showed his ability as a rookie IMO this is in no way surprising. He just needed a change of scenery and a role in which he would have been a go to scorer (since that's what he does best). I think he has the potential to improving his playmaking and D so if he does that he'll certainly live up to it. In terms of scoring I think that was a given.

nycericanguy
11-06-2012, 11:16 AM
He has shot 18-27 from threes so it's not like he is 3 for 4 he has shot a lot, he is in the gym more than anyone else on the team shooting and has late night shooting sessions with Carlisle every night after watching film together

He is serious if you watched him play

He didnt care in Memphis

exactly, alot of guys can get hot in 3 games and go 18-27, but unless Mayo has all of a sudden become the best shooter in the history of the game there is no way he keeps that up.

a scorer that goes 18-27 from 3 in three games should put up alot more than 21ppg... that % suggest he'll go back to a 15ppg type scorer once the hot streak is over.

He has room to improve, but idont think he'll ever truly live up to his hype and potential he had coming into the league

Swashcuff
11-06-2012, 11:19 AM

Paul George is a better two way player with more size who can guard and play multiple positions with similar upside. It's understandable as to why they didn't pursue him hard. The Bulls though, they are confusing.

LakersIn5
11-06-2012, 11:19 AM
hopefully!

see sig

nycericanguy
11-06-2012, 11:21 AM

CHI always seems to play it safe, they seem afraid to try to make a big move like Melo.

Instead they opt to give $9m per to Taj.

Sportfan
11-06-2012, 11:22 AM
I hope so, he was held back in Memphis

HouRealCoach
11-06-2012, 11:25 AM
I love how all of you guys overreact to Reddick, Varejao, & Mayo lol

If they could be on the same team they would be better than Heat's big three lol

jmoney85
11-06-2012, 11:33 AM
hes gonna win the MVP!

beardown78
11-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Im A Bulls fan and its confusing to me why they didnt pursue OJ harder but im sure all of the Bulls front office fan boys will be in here trying to justify why Hinrich was A better option and how our current team is better than last years

KnickaBocka.44
11-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Paul George is a better two way player with more size who can guard and play multiple positions with similar upside. It's understandable as to why they didn't pursue him hard. The Bulls though, they are confusing.

I agree George is a better two way player. But if they would have landed Mayo, don't you think they could have packaged Granger and someone together and landed a nice haul?

heyman321
11-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Do you guys think OJ Mayo likes drinking OJ and eating Mayo?

GiantsSwaGG
11-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Did he come with sandwiches?

mp3
11-06-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm glad the guy can finally play his game and not be restricted like he was in Memphis. I don't give a dam if Tony Allen was a good defender. Mayo is much better than that scrub.

Munkeysuit
11-06-2012, 12:46 PM
When Dirk comes back and the Mavs are fully staffed? he will only get better.
I never thought he was going to be great, but he can be a damn good player and a dangerous threat.

mgeise
11-06-2012, 01:06 PM
I really liked the pickups of both Mayo and Collison. When fully healthy, I think the Mavs can be pretty competitive in the West. The big men rotation of Dirk, Kaman, Brand, and Wright is solid, even though it would be great to have a bruising defensive center to pair with Dirk. Beaubois might take that next step; a point guard combination of Collison and Beaubois is pretty exciting looking forward to the future. Marion is still solid at the 3.

Back to topic, Mayo still has huge upside and was exactly the type of player the Mavs needed in what was an aging backcourt. The reigns have been let loose on Mayo because the Mavs so desperately need that explosiveness. This is such a better situation for him.

keetyweedy
11-06-2012, 01:06 PM
I said all along that OJ was restricted in memphis and wasnt able to play at his full potential, he is too talented to be a 3rd or 4th option on a team, Oj has co-star potential and playing under carlisle and with Dirk he can finally utilize it. During the offseason he wrote on his twitter "he has never seen a player work as hard as Dirk" which I believe helped push his work ethic to nxt level...more touches and running more plays through him and with the way collinson and Kaman and the rest of the team are meshing once Dirk gets back we will really be a threat in the west

Oefarmy2005
11-06-2012, 01:08 PM
He is going to be the best ever because he plays for the best team ever. I love how people here start making decisions based on 1 good game in the first 2 weeks of the season.

JiffyMix88
11-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Do you guys think OJ Mayo likes drinking OJ and eating Mayo?

:rimshot:

thrice4
11-06-2012, 01:33 PM
I hope he continues. I had a dude crush on this guy while he played high school ball. I thought he'd be the next great one.

DoMeFavors
11-06-2012, 01:36 PM
I dont think so

Blitzbolt
11-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Grizzlies are a inside team they are dead last in 3s made and taken and that was bad news for Mayo.

MrfadeawayJB
11-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Obviously he is much better suited as a starter, but i'm not sure he will get better when Dirk gets back. His 3 pt shot has been inconsistent his whole career, so dont get too excited for 1 good shooting performance. He will average more points this season than last, but when Dirk comes back i actually think his numbers stay the same or go down. He is the type that feels more comfortable with the ball in his hands. He is a bit of a volume shooter. Time will tell if he can or not

MrfadeawayJB
11-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Don't get me wrong OJ is one of my favorite players in the league, i want to see him do well. But to live up to his potential is a tall task when he was a top 5 pick

ThuglifeJ
11-06-2012, 02:51 PM
He wont live up to his potential cuz his potential was really high. I could see him being a top 25 or so player though if he really steps up this year.

but hes gotta earn his right to play more minutes than Carter first.

...(kidding)
but seiorusly VC is still an 80 in nba 2k and Mayos like a 76 so I can pretend when I play the game

montybeasty
11-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Hes gonna do more for Dallas then joe Johnson's gonna do for the nets.

b@llhog24
11-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Not sure how they could pull it off, but he would be sick in Houston next to Harden.

Ezio
11-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Bulls were offering Ronnie Brewer and 3 1st picks for Mayo and Memphis preferred a package of McRoberts and a first that fell apart. We were trying to make space for him but couldn't find a taker for Rip.

KnickaBocka.44
11-06-2012, 05:00 PM
He's gonna get shut down on friday, thats for sure

P Harvy
11-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Orange Juice Mayonnaise has a good shot at being decent.

jfernyc
11-06-2012, 05:15 PM
He has the talent to. He was (maybe one of NBAs) best off season signing considering the team they had and players they lost from their championship year.

Imagine if they didnt get him might still be seeing V.C start

Pluvious
11-06-2012, 05:15 PM
The Suns Front Office looks pretty stupid now. They pursued Gordon and Beasley hard and were rumored to be interested in Mayo but did not give him a big offer. If they had Mayo now instead of Beasley they would be looking at a pretty nice future.

MonroeFAN
11-06-2012, 07:40 PM
grabbed him in every fantasy league I'm in, really happy to see it obviously. I don't expect him to have 13 3-pointers in 2 games often, but it's pretty nasty.

Hawkeye15
11-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Need much more on the guy first. He wasn't that great his first 4 years, and there are all sorts of reasons for that, including OJ himself.

Hawkeye15
11-06-2012, 08:30 PM
He wont live up to his potential cuz his potential was really high. I could see him being a top 25 or so player though if he really steps up this year.

but hes gotta earn his right to play more minutes than Carter first.

...(kidding)
but seiorusly VC is still an 80 in nba 2k and Mayos like a 76 so I can pretend when I play the game

Never got the hype on OJ honestly. Not a great athlete, short for a SG, and wasn't that great in his one season in college. I honestly never got it. Good player? Sure. The next superstar? I didn't see it.

LTBaByyy
11-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Y'all keep saying one good game. We have played 4 games and he has been amazing

Collison, Mayo, Brand, Jones, Kaman >>>> D Will

I am so happy we didn't get D Will

LTBaByyy
11-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Carlisle and Dirk have changed Mayo work ethic

He studies film every single night with Carlisle

He is in the gym more than anyone on the team shooting

Has even said time in Memphis was a waste

And has solo practices with Carlisle every night they don't have a game

He wants to be great and Carlisle is given him the light to be

He will get even better when Dirk is back

1) Pick and Roll with Dirk is unstoppable where they have to double and leave Mayo

2) Will get a lot more open shots

AddiX
11-06-2012, 08:41 PM
The OJ mayo love fest on psd has always boggled my mind. It seems every fan base in the NBA thinks mayo will be a beast on there team.

I think ppl just like his name. I don't get it.

LTBaByyy
11-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Collison 16 PPG 9 APG + Mayo 22 PPG 3 APG 3 RPG >>>> D Will 18 PPG 11 APG

I didn't even bring up Kaman 14 PPG or Brand 6 PPG 6 RPG

Not signing D Will was a blessing in disguise

I love this team! 3-1 without Dirk, keep it going :)

Mavs still proving people wrong

ThuglifeJ
11-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Never got the hype on OJ honestly. Not a great athlete, short for a SG, and wasn't that great in his one season in college. I honestly never got it. Good player? Sure. The next superstar? I didn't see it.

ya i never saw him as the next huge thing either. Not even in his high school days I always thought he was too short as well and didnt see him as the next AI or anything.

hes still a awesome dude tho good attitude for bball

Diabolical
11-06-2012, 11:02 PM
I think it's wise to be pleased with OJ Mayo's play but not get TOO excited yet. If he can be a 20 pts, 4 reb, 4 ast, 1.5 steals, on 47% fg, 40% 3pt%, 85% ft, I think Dallas should lock him up long term.

MetroMan
11-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Always liked oj.

Jint.
11-06-2012, 11:17 PM
if this isnt his breakout year.. it will never happen

lilojmayo
11-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Mavs fans all i ask is you stay humble. You acquired a special player in OJ Mayo. He will up to his full potential, his numbers will keep rising, but his percentages will fall obviously. And become a all-star cailber player this year

Comparing him to the likes of Paul George is laughable or will become laughable at the end of this month.

OJ Mayo is currently the 4th best SG in the NBA. I'll give James Harden 3rd spot right now, but that is subject to change depending on what happens this month.

MrfadeawayJB
11-06-2012, 11:37 PM
wow

Diabolical
11-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Mavs fans all i ask is you stay humble. You acquired a special player in OJ Mayo. He will up to his full potential, his numbers will keep rising, but his percentages will fall obviously. And become a all-star cailber player this year

Comparing him to the likes of Paul George is laughable or will become laughable at the end of this month.

OJ Mayo is currently the 4th best SG in the NBA. I'll give James Harden 3rd spot right now, but that is subject to change depending on what happens this month.

OJ Mayo is definitely not the 4th best SG in the NBA. However, he definitely has the potential to be 3rd and 4th best by the end of this year. If he averages the 20, 4, 4, 1.5 on 47% fg, 40 3pt%, 85% ft, then I think he deserves 3rd-5th best SG.

lvlheaded
11-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Kobe Bryant

In all seriousness, I have always liked Mayo. I would have liked him on the Knicks. I hope he keeps it up

MetroMan
11-07-2012, 01:04 AM
OJ, orange juice is very healthy to drink

KB24PG16
11-07-2012, 01:17 AM
:dance:

MetroMan
11-07-2012, 01:20 AM
Obama Obama obama

kyubi256
11-07-2012, 01:42 AM
One of my favorite players in that draft. I hope he does succeed. He has too much talent not to

ThuglifeJ
11-07-2012, 01:54 AM
OJ, orange juice is very healthy to drink

it's actually not that healthy. Unless it's that organic puply ****

Gagan136
11-07-2012, 02:16 AM
I really wanted OJ on the Lakers this year and i knew it was a very slim chance , but he is doing good and i am happy for him.

Mr.B
11-07-2012, 02:25 AM
When Dirk comes back he will get even more points and assist playing the 2 man game pick and roll with Dirk just like Terry did

It's been great watching this young Mavs teams and I do think Mayo will be better once Dirk comes back. That doesn't mean however that he will score more points. I think his assist number will go up because of the pick and roll with Dirk however a lot of the points Mayo is getting now are going to go to Dirk. Also Mayo is not going to continue to shoot that percentage the whole year. I think Mayo will end up averaging about 20 ppg.

blazerman
11-07-2012, 02:44 AM
I think Mayo will benefit more once Dirk is playing and he looks good to me so far. Good pickup for the Mavs and he put it to the Blazers the other night pretty good. Send him to Portland if you decide to trade him Mavs.

keetyweedy
11-07-2012, 10:53 AM
x10

I think once dirk returns we have the potential to drop 15-20 points in any position with our starting 5 on any given night and Oj should avg somewhere between 16-19 ppg, with that being said I believe the one player who will benefit the most is Darren Collinson, carlisle will utilized his talents, it will be a lot of pick n rolls and penetrating

yaswaggin
11-07-2012, 11:04 AM
mayo looking good, i think hel average close to his rookie year numbers.

you know who else is looking good? e'twaun moore, loved watching him play at purdue and hes been balling this season too.

actually, afflalo, moore, and reddick have all been terrific in orlando so far.

DaBulls311
11-07-2012, 11:06 AM
The Bulls should have signed Mayo instead of Marco and giving Kirk a 2 year deal.

lilojmayo
11-08-2012, 12:24 AM
22 points 5 rebounds 6 assists 8/17 FG 3-6 3pt in another W for Juice Mayo
just another day in the office. All this guy does is win games.

lulz Paul George comparison is becoming laughable at this point.

Not too much longer before we get James Harden vs OJ Mayo vs Russell Wesbrook who's better debates.

I'll be ready for them.

ThuglifeJ
11-08-2012, 12:35 AM
ur really annoying but I do love Mayo! perfect fit

kyubi256
11-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Mayo is doing well. I'm happy for him. And what's with the hate on Paul George? The guy is a great player. Especially on defense

Swashcuff
11-08-2012, 12:53 AM

Not too much longer before we get James Harden vs OJ Mayo vs Russell Wesbrook who's better debates.

I'll be ready for them.

Didn't you disappear for like a year or something?

SportsFanatic10
11-08-2012, 12:55 AM

:eyebrow:

Diabolical
11-08-2012, 01:33 AM

I'll be ready for them.

You need to relax. You are going to make people hate OJ Mayo the way you're talking. The best way to promote a player that is spanking everyone is just to give a simple complement and let them do most of the talking on the basketball floor.

This is a reason I can't stand Derrick Rose. Their fans really made me dislike him as a player (although I recognize he is a top 3 PG).

Ebbs
11-08-2012, 02:20 AM
He might be my favorite college player ever... I told people since day 1 in memphis hr was legit. When he became a 4th option off the bench I told people he needed to be a top 2 option to be successful. I think he will have a very nice 18-4-4 on 45-33-80 shooting

ClearSoulForce
11-08-2012, 02:29 AM
He's a 3 pt sniper but his mid range has improved. Very nice passer as well. The Mavs are stacked. Collison, Mayo, Marion, Dirk, Kaman with Brand, Carter, Crowder, Wright off the bench. I could see them making the WCF. Add Dirk to them. Wow.

Ebbs
11-08-2012, 02:42 AM
He's a 3 pt sniper but his mid range has improved. Very nice passer as well. The Mavs are stacked. Collison, Mayo, Marion, Dirk, Kaman with Brand, Carter, Crowder, Wright off the bench. I could see them making the WCF. Add Dirk to them. Wow.

Before the season I thought we were a first round exit 7th/8th seed. But the way we've played without Dirk is scary..

ThuglifeJ
11-08-2012, 03:09 AM
this mavs team is the first team in my many years of watching basketball where I've liked the ENTIRE roster head to toe (minus Beaibious and Dominique Jones who are very small rotation players)

theres usually always one or two who drive me nuts.

Watching this team so far has proved to me chemistry really does matter. Everyone wants to share the ball and everyone can score/defend in similiar ways so it just works, they get good shots and dont hesitate.

Definitely still too early to judge a lot but the team is at the tops in terms of chemistry so far from what I've watched. It's like everyone enjoys there current roles already..

ewmania
11-08-2012, 06:08 AM
always liked mayo, hope he shows the world what he can do

lilojmayo
11-09-2012, 12:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=598l2M3L3hc

His last game highlights tell me.....
that he is closing in on his potential. Even in his " good years" as a Grizz, he never brought that type of game to the table. Not saying he wont have a bad game, but he knows that Mavnation is depending on him to keep us. So when does have bad game he knows what is at stake.

#playoffbound and then #championshipbound

OJ can do no wrong.

stipe1280
11-09-2012, 12:36 PM
I really believe that OJ Mayo wants to prove something after the Memphis debacle...and he's proving it so far.

lilojmayo
11-09-2012, 11:19 PM
OJ getting close to the Kobe treatment of 06. Teams trying they hardest on him, face guarding him 40 ft from the rim.

When Dirk comes back that nonsense will stop, or Dirk will make you pay.

kyubi256
11-10-2012, 05:10 AM
He looks much healthier this year also. Did he lose weight/get more fit?

kyubi256
11-10-2012, 05:13 AM
My favorite part of Mayo is that even with this hot start he is still pass first.

He can be a mini Lebron if he could hone his skills. He won't be dominant as The King but he'd be close to a triple double every game if he can put it together

ThuglifeJ
11-10-2012, 02:10 PM

His last game highlights tell me.....
that he is closing in on his potential. Even in his " good years" as a Grizz, he never brought that type of game to the table. Not saying he wont have a bad game, but he knows that Mavnation is depending on him to keep us. So when does have bad game he knows what is at stake.

#playoffbound and then #championshipbound

OJ can do no wrong.

Im a Mayo fan but man he was pissing me off that Knicks game. He had 8 turnovers and I think they didnt count a few of them.. He was very unclutch as well. Just one game though he's still hot from deep so far hope he keeps it up

THE MTL
11-10-2012, 02:13 PM
I always believed in OJ Mayo. When Dirk declines, I fully expect him to take over as the franchise player. He nearly averaged 20ppg in his rookie season. There is NO reason why the guy shouldnt have been a 20+ppg scorer a couple years ago. Totally misused in Memphis.

lilojmayo
11-10-2012, 03:39 PM

for those that are curious on how he is doing it. Playing like an MVP candidate:clap::clap:
this Dallas team would be 0-6 without him AND dirk .

Ebbs
11-10-2012, 04:05 PM
He's been fantastic. My favortie signing ever as a Mavs fan. He was y favorite college player all time and drove me nuts getting ****ed around in Memphi's offense.

To put things in perspective. Harden who is being compared to the elite of the elite on this site.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=hardeja01&y1=2013&p2=mayooj01&y2=2013

Msyo is right with him while being more efficient.

ThuglifeJ
11-10-2012, 04:16 PM

for those that are curious on how he is doing it. Playing like an MVP candidate:clap::clap:
this Dallas team would be 0-6 without him AND dirk .

Please dont make me dislike Mayo dude. Please

edit: btw why did you jump from 1st quarter to 4th to 3rd to 2nd to 1st to 4th?

and **** just realized how scary it can get when Dirk is back

Blitzbolt
11-10-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm Glad OJ is doing better but I don't miss him as a Grizz our BIG low Post/Defensive style of play did not fit him at all.We replace him with 2 solid 3 point shooting role players to spread the floor which makes us better.

Also I'm glad liloj Mayo left our forums he takes the fan boy stuff to a whole new level is a little creppy.

Swashcuff
11-10-2012, 09:39 PM
LilOjMayo took a year off from the forum and suddenly returns as a Mavs fan? If I were Mavs fan I wouldn't even welcome him on the bandwagon.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-10-2012, 09:40 PM
I wanted the Raptors to sign him. I still believed in Mayo.

Ebbs
11-10-2012, 09:42 PM
It sucked for most OJ fans. I really like Tony Allen but he took away from Mayo

kobebabe
11-11-2012, 11:09 AM
like this dude. I wish Lakers put their hands on him. I hope this is his yr

lilojmayo
11-22-2012, 08:01 PM
To sum up this thread. If you thought OJ Mayo was going to be better than Kobe Bryant, he hasn't lived up to his potential

If you thought OJ Mayo was going to be the next best thing in comparison to Kobe Bryant and carry his torch ( if/whenever he declines)

Then yes he lived up to his potential

/thread

NYKNYGNYY
11-22-2012, 08:20 PM
I've seen him twice so far ....and a non homer answer ...yes ,DUDE CAN SHOOT AND PLAY. Enjoy it mavs fans him and dirk will be nice when dirk is covered,,,,I guess gay was holding him back a little

LTBaByyy
11-22-2012, 09:11 PM
He should be an All Star this year

Eric Gordon and Brandon Roy averaged the same numbers and y'all thought they were great

But no one or the media talks about Mayo

LTBaByyy
11-22-2012, 09:13 PM
22, 3, and 3 is greats stats

Especially when he is 48 % on field goals and 59 % on 3 point field goals

Swashcuff
11-22-2012, 09:50 PM
He should be an All Star this year

Eric Gordon and Brandon Roy averaged the same numbers and y'all thought they were great

But no one or the media talks about Mayo

Gordon was a top tier two way guard and Brandon Roy was one of the best leaders with an uncanny knack to run an offense who gets you assists and rebounds.

Mayo has gotten off to a hot shooting start to the season really doesn't offer much playmaking, leadership, rebounding or D. When his hot shooting starts to cool he'll even out and still be a stellar player but needs to continue to add to his game. If you can't admit this simple fact you can't seriously be a fan of OJ.

Swashcuff
11-22-2012, 09:51 PM
To sum up this thread. If you thought OJ Mayo was going to be better than Kobe Bryant, he hasn't lived up to his potential

If you thought OJ Mayo was going to be the next best thing in comparison to Kobe Bryant and carry his torch ( if/whenever he declines)

Then yes he lived up to his potential

/thread

He isn't even as good as prime Joe Johnson so NO he's no where near being the next best thing after Kobe.

el hidalgo
11-22-2012, 09:52 PM
he has looked great so far. still wish the bulls would have gotten him via trade at some point.

xxplayerxx23
11-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Its 10 games :eyebrow: He has played well but lets see him keep the shooting % up.

Chronz
11-22-2012, 11:43 PM
I'm coming around, hes never looked so confident.

LTBaByyy
11-23-2012, 12:55 AM
I'm coming around, hes never looked so confident.

:clap:

And he is so poised, he should be shooting way more but he doesn't chuck up bad shots or Carlisle will get on him

Lim
11-23-2012, 03:19 AM
not quite sure why memphis gave up so easy on him. after 2 very good seasons they nail him to the bench??

MackSnackWrap
11-23-2012, 04:00 AM
Hes nice. He needs to be on the all star team no doubt.

lilojmayo
12-09-2012, 06:40 AM
first 40 point game for OJ this season. more to come no doubt.

Swashcuff
12-09-2012, 08:09 AM
More impressive than OJ scoring 40 is him grabbing 8 rebounds IMO. Sure he's an excellent scorer but he needs to develop other areas of his game or he'll just be another Kevin Martin type player for his career.

AnthonyTyrael
12-09-2012, 10:07 AM
More impressive than OJ scoring 40 is him grabbing 8 rebounds IMO. Sure he's an excellent scorer but he needs to develop other areas of his game or he'll just be another Kevin Martin type player for his career.

That's my opinion too and I'm a Mavs homer. I just don't get and share all this hype.

So what you've said, that's exactly what it's all about. He's still one-dimensional and to peak at scoring once in a while is the easiest to reach. It's still a long way to go. As a sidekick for Dirk, depending on what he's able to give at his age... he's the right choice nevertheless. wouldn't mind him being the scoring option number one if Dirk would, therefor, care a lot more about rebounding but this will never happen anyway. Two high prolific scorers and someone who's finally taking care of Dallas rebound weakness and this team would begin to improve.

LTBaByyy
12-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Harden is more of a Kevin Martin, gets all his points from Free Throws

Mayo only had 4 Free Throws and the other 36 were buckets

Harden had like 20 free throws and the other 19 were buckets

mzgrizz
12-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Yes, yes he will

rhymeratic
12-09-2012, 12:24 PM
OJ Mayo is legit. I thought he was a bust in Memphis but it turns out he was just being held back by his surroundings. He's Ray Allen-lite.

Spiderman 1nner
12-09-2012, 12:54 PM
I don't think he was underperforming before, its what his third or fourth season? It takes everyone time to adjust to the speed of the pros. I will say this tho, I think he's an egotistical selfish player and when Dirk comes back there are going to be major chemistry problems unless one of them plays the sixth man role. Dirk is a humble dude and will do what it takes for the good of his team but when OJ plays a Westbrook at his worst type game, will he be able to keep OJ in check? I just don't know, it really all depends how OJ handles the success

Htownballa1622
12-09-2012, 01:17 PM

I know you like to toot your own teams players horn but if you're trying to slight harden for being effecient by comparing HOW he gets points you're off.

Harden is much more of a playmaker than Martin and it's not close.

And i know you're trying to do this to say oj is better than harden. You're off with that too.

AnthonyTyrael
12-09-2012, 01:23 PM
I don't think he was underperforming before, its what his third or fourth season? It takes everyone time to adjust to the speed of the pros. I will say this tho, I think he's an egotistical selfish player and when Dirk comes back there are going to be major chemistry problems unless one of them plays the sixth man role. Dirk is a humble dude and will do what it takes for the good of his team but when OJ plays a Westbrook at his worst type game, will he be able to keep OJ in check? I just don't know, it really all depends how OJ handles the success

Can't see this coming. They'll get along fine. One will profit by the other. Mayo isn't like Terry. Not coming off the bench, finishing a fastbreak one against three off the dribble with a threepointer overpacing at times. They'll help each other create space, especially with Kaman around them. Just the point guards and Brand need to step up big time and they gotta begin to play some D somehow. This is the only concern.

Mayo is clearly a starter. So is Dirk. Even once when blond turns into grey. ;)

Hawkeye15
12-09-2012, 01:49 PM
his +/- numbers are still concerning. His team has been better on both ends with him sitting. Not sold on him yet.

waveycrockett
12-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Mayo reminds me of Jamal Crawford. He can score thats for sure.

Chronz
12-09-2012, 02:24 PM

So you dont think Mayo will ever be able to address that weakness in his game?

Chronz
12-09-2012, 02:26 PM
OJ Mayo is legit. I thought he was a bust in Memphis but it turns out he was just being held back by his surroundings. He's Ray Allen-lite.
So players cant just improve? Mayo was given plenty of opportunities in Memphis, he was meh in every role they tried to give him.

I mean what did you see that makes you think he was held back?

Chronz
12-09-2012, 02:28 PM
And i know you're trying to do this to say oj is better than harden. You're off with that too.

Are you sure? I thought he was complimenting Harden by saying he focuses on scoring in the most efficient way.

And OJ and Harden have played at identical levels, have been all year. I just trust the guy who relies on getting to the rack to keep it up more than the guy whos relying on the less consistent aspect of shooting. Im also hoping Harden eventually figures out how to limit his turnovers as the number 1.

Hawkeye15
12-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Are you sure? I thought he was complimenting Harden by saying he focuses on scoring in the most efficient way.

And OJ and Harden have played at identical levels, have been all year. I just trust the guy who relies on getting to the rack to keep it up more than the guy whos relying on the less consistent aspect of shooting.

exactly. Sorry, Mayo is not sustaining those outside numbers. Harden will sustain living at the line.

Htownballa1622
12-09-2012, 02:32 PM

And OJ and Harden have played at identical levels, have been all year. I just trust the guy who relies on getting to the rack to keep it up more than the guy whos relying on the less consistent aspect of shooting. Im also hoping Harden eventually figures out how to limit his turnovers as the number 1.

I agree with what you're saying.

But i don't feel he's complimenting Harden when comparing him to Kevin Martin.

Evolution23
12-09-2012, 02:32 PM
I always knew OJ Mayo was gonna be a beast. He was being under used in Memphis.

Chronz
12-09-2012, 02:42 PM
I agree with what you're saying.

But i don't feel he's complimenting Harden when comparing him to Kevin Martin.

But Martin is one of the most efficient scorers, always has been. I think he was just talking about scoring style because its obvious to anyone that Harden is a far better playmaker than that.

So imagine if he can become that efficient of a scorer while being a superior play maker. Thats a beast, too bad it hasnt happened or else we wouldn't be comparing Harden to these guys. He would have illustrious company

Chronz
12-09-2012, 02:43 PM
I always knew OJ Mayo was gonna be a beast. He was being under used in Memphis.

Thats no excuse. Harden was being under used in OKC, that didn't turn him into an inefficient chucker with inconsistent effort/roles. Mayo just improved but his shooting seems fluky to me.

Htownballa1622
12-09-2012, 03:01 PM
But Martin is one of the most efficient scorers, always has been. I think he was just talking about scoring style because its obvious to anyone that Harden is a far better playmaker than that.

So imagine if he can become that efficient of a scorer while being a superior play maker. Thats a beast, too bad it hasnt happened or else we wouldn't be comparing Harden to these guys. He would have illustrious company

So if he were complementing Harden, why would he then bring mayo into that conversation? He's the one who's been raving about how good mayo has been.

I agree with everything else you're saying though.

I just hope Harden can grow as a better player here in Houston. He can cut down turnovers and improve on the defensive side imo.

Swashcuff
12-09-2012, 03:37 PM

That's great. More impressed by Harden. Usually this would mean that the opposing team would not only be getting into more foul trouble but James Harden would also be taking the 3rd highest % shot in basketball on a consistent basis which is the FT. Thus making him a more efficient scorer. From a scorers POV Harden's better than OJ. Let's see how OJ makes out when he goes into a funk and isn't shooting the ball at a 50% + clip from the 3.

JNA17
12-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Loved this guy since his senior year in High School. Always complained on how Memphis underused this guy so much and how the Lakers should have somehow got him in the off-season.

While Memphis is a very good team this year and have been for the last couple of years, they have no idea how to develop young talent TO THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. They know how to use older veteran players like Zach Randolph, Shane Battier when he was there for example, but with Mayo, Conley, and even Rudy Gay who should be a superstar in this league but he's not.

Mayo know is being used and treated in the role in Dallas as he should have been on Memphis, a star player. Instead, Memphis focused on their front court and the fact Mayo was already surrounded by proven players like Randolph, Gasol, Gay, Conley didn't help at all either.

Chronz
12-09-2012, 04:23 PM
So if he were complementing Harden, why would he then bring mayo into that conversation? He's the one who's been raving about how good mayo has been.

I agree with everything else you're saying though.

I just hope Harden can grow as a better player here in Houston. He can cut down turnovers and improve on the defensive side imo.

Cuz hes excited that Mayo is playing at a Harden level? :confused:

Htownballa1622
12-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Cuz hes excited that Mayo is playing at a Harden level? :confused:

Well I took it a different way but I would be thrilled too. No doubt mayo is playing well though.

lilojmayo
12-09-2012, 08:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV6DCFAfuDo

40 point game highlights

talk about hoopin.

LTBaByyy
12-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Mayo better be an all star this year

Harden gets more publicity in one night than Mayo has this whole season

Mayo has better stats in less minutes

LTBaByyy
12-09-2012, 10:03 PM
I think Harden and Mayo will be the best SGs in a few years when Kobe retire and Wade keeps declining

Both dudes are amazing. I hope they have a rivalry (Rockets vs Mavs)

LTBaByyy
12-09-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm glad we didn't resign all those old players and Tyson

Also glad we didn't sign Deron Williams

If we did any of that we would not have Mayo

Now we have Mayo and Dirk with the best cap space the next 2 years

b@llhog24
12-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Mayo better be an all star this year

Harden gets more publicity in one night than Mayo has this whole season

Mayo has better stats in less minutes

No.

lilojmayo
12-09-2012, 10:20 PM
i am not going to lie i still find it hysterical that in the beginning of the thread. PSD thought Paul George was better than OJ Mayo.

funny how quickly things change huh

Sactown
12-09-2012, 10:46 PM
He's a condiment and a beverage in one

lilojmayo
12-11-2012, 08:08 AM
I'm glad we didn't resign all those old players and Tyson

Also glad we didn't sign Deron Williams

If we did any of that we would not have Mayo

Now we have Mayo and Dirk with the best cap space the next 2 years

I mean talk about Irony. Not only did Mark Cuban dodge the biggest bullet is what is soon to be one of the worst max deals out there for Deron 5 years 100 million dollars.

but got a better player right in OJ Mayo, younger, higher upside for only 2 years 8 million ( although will opt out and probably receive his max of 14 million a year) .

but here is the irony

last season the Nets could have obtained OJ Mayo at deadline for Anthony Morrow + Scrubs, but didn't think OJ was worth that.

Then this past off free agency, the Nets looked at OJ Mayo as plan B, just in case they weren't able to get Joe Johnson.

Nets Owner is basically spending almost 200 million dollars over the next 5 season with a Deron Williams + Joe Johnson backcourt

Mark Cuban got the better player in OJ Mayo for 8 million dollars total

There is a reason why Cuban is such a fabulous business man. Guy knows how to make the right investments

Swashcuff
12-11-2012, 09:38 AM
You know what's most ironic? Had Mayo gone to the Nets you would have been a Brooklyn fan and not a Dallas "fan".

Chronz
12-11-2012, 12:48 PM
You know what's most ironic? Had Mayo gone to the Nets you would have been a Brooklyn fan and not a Dallas "fan".

I do believe that's a win

Swashcuff
01-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Thoughts on Mayo now gentlemen? His hot shooting has frozen, he's been rather unclutch lately and he really has nothing to fall back on. In this thread he was called the 3rd best SG in the league. That was less than a month ago. Right now he doesn't look like he'll be able to crack the top 10 by season's end.

AnthonyTyrael
01-01-2013, 02:19 PM
It's def. disappointing right now. He's on his careers crossroad.

Hyping him was wrong but hammering now would be too. Still he's on the crossroad. He's been at that point before for various ballclubs so... and Mavs are a troubled club right now. Slumps are grnated to everyone but it just doesn't look like it's one. He's taking himself out of the game.

el hidalgo
01-01-2013, 02:19 PM
He was drawing kobe comparisons when he came out of USC. while i dont think he will be the inefficient volume scorer kobe is, i think he will continue to improve his shooting and become an efficient scorer.

score as many points as kobe? no sir, he wont become a scorer like him. shoot efficiently and be as effective as kobe? it's possible in my mind.

Sportfan
01-01-2013, 02:39 PM
He's a top 10 SG to me.

AnthonyTyrael
01-01-2013, 02:39 PM
double post

AnthonyTyrael
01-01-2013, 02:40 PM
He was drawing kobe comparisons when he came out of USC. while i dont think he will be the inefficient volume scorer kobe is, i think he will continue to improve his shooting and become an efficient scorer.

score as many points as kobe? no sir, he wont become a scorer like him. shoot efficiently and be as effective as kobe? it's possible in my mind.

That's amusing

Swashcuff
01-01-2013, 02:56 PM
It's def. disappointing right now. He's on his careers crossroad.

Hyping him was wrong but hammering now would be too. Still he's on the crossroad. He's been at that point before for various ballclubs so... and Mavs are a troubled club right now. Slumps are grnated to everyone but it just doesn't look like it's one. He's taking himself out of the game.

Honestly its been his career MO. He's always been extremely streaky since being in the NBA. He got on the hottest possible tear from the field but now he's fallen so hard that its borderline astonishing to think that he's the same player from just about a month ago. I'm not trying to beat him down I'm just saying that those who hyped him up should be saying to themselves he needs to become less reliant on jumpers and work on his all round game. Shooting is the streakiest thing in basketball and Mayo is as streaky as they come. I honestly hope he learns from his play to start the season (UP and down) and can work on other aspects of his game for when he is unable to sustain such hot shooting.