PDA

View Full Version : PSA for those on League Pass Broadband free trial - cancel or you'll be charged

bholly
11-06-2012, 02:41 AM
I know there's a thread about league pass already, but I think it's pretty important people see this, and not everybody on the trial is reading that thread.

The free trial is automatically turning into a full paid subscription for the year if you don't cancel before your trial is up, and you will be charged - or at least that's what it told me would happen on the international service, even though it wasn't clear when I signed up and I could've easily missed it.

If you're on the free trial and it's almost up, but you don't want to subscribe, log in to the full version of the website, hold your cursor over "welcome, [your name]" in the top right, select "my packages" from the drop-down menu, and then select to cancel the paid subscription + free trial, which are all as one option.

Again, this might not be the same for everyone, but it's how it was for me on the international league pass broadband.

P Harvy
11-06-2012, 02:42 AM
There's no way this can be legal.

bholly
11-06-2012, 03:00 AM
I dunno, I'm sure they have everything they need for legal purposes all written there when you sign up, it's just nobody reads that stuff.

P Harvy
11-06-2012, 03:01 AM
I dunno, I'm sure they have everything they need for legal purposes all written there when you sign up, it's just nobody reads that stuff.

But the free trial just allows you to watch the NBA games league pass offers. Once the trial is up when you switch to one of those channels it should say you have to pay for this subscription and you won't be able to watch it.

FOBolous
11-06-2012, 03:04 AM

many companies do this...if you don't cancel by the time the free trial session ends, they assume you want to subscribe to them and charge you. all websites that offer "free" credit reports do this..hulu does too i think, so does Netflix and gamefly.

thanks for the heads up bholly

P Harvy
11-06-2012, 03:11 AM
many companies do this...if you don't cancel by the time the free trial session ends, they assume you want to subscribe to them and charge you. all websites that offer "free" credit reports do this..hulu does too i think, so does Netflix and gamefly.

thanks for the heads up bholly

I know but this is something completely different. In this case you would have already signed up for the subscription and given them your billing information. Granted the cable company already has your billing info but you wouldn't have purchased league pass because all that is up is the free trial.

I compare this to my xbox live. My mom bought me xbox live on her credit card back when I was in high school and to this day it stills renews every year. I don't even think shes noticed that she still pays for it lol.

bholly
11-06-2012, 03:16 AM
But the free trial just allows you to watch the NBA games league pass offers. Once the trial is up when you switch to one of those channels it should say you have to pay for this subscription and you won't be able to watch it.

I know but this is something completely different. In this case you would have already signed up for the subscription and given them your billing information. Granted the cable company already has your billing info but you wouldn't have purchased league pass because all that is up is the free trial.

I compare this to my xbox live. My mom bought me xbox live on her credit card back when I was in high school and to this day it stills renews every year. I don't even think shes noticed that she still pays for it lol.

This is for League Pass Broadband, ie online streaming, not through cable. No idea about tv league pass.

They already have my info because I buy a subscription every year, so I have no idea if people signing up for the free trial had to give credit card info. If someone didn't give info then obviously they won't have this problem.

Did anyone sign up for the free trial and have to give credit card info to do it?

P Harvy
11-06-2012, 03:18 AM
This is for League Pass Broadband, ie online streaming, not through cable. No idea about tv league pass.

They already have my info because I buy a subscription every year, so I have no idea if people signing up for the free trial had to give credit card info. If someone didn't give info then obviously they won't have this problem.

Did anyone sign up for the free trial and have to give credit card info to do it?

Well I remember this happening last year though. I had the free trial on cable and got to watch the games on my big screen for the first few games and then once the trial was done that was it.

rocketfuel
11-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Hmmm. Don't know about the free trial thing, but I do know that if you buy NBA league pass or NFL total package one year, they used to have this thing where they automatically renew you the next year unless you cancel. I was pretty annoyed when I saw the charge coming, but cancelled in time.

GunFactor187
11-06-2012, 03:23 AM
Yeah, this is the same thing that happened to me when I had the ESPN Insiders trial a little while back ago, they almost were gonna charge me but luckily I cancelled before the trial was over to get it over and done with, got 2 free ESPN mags out of it though so I'm happy, lol.

JOhnnyTHaJet
11-06-2012, 03:30 AM
Has color TV been invented yet?

aussie
11-06-2012, 10:17 AM
It happened to me with ESPN and the Free Month of Insider.

Will be watching my Hornets (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61) play the Sixers tomorrow then cancelling it.

#geauxhornets

justinnum1
11-06-2012, 10:27 AM
i cant get to the page where it says "welcome justin"

Manimal
11-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Thats the reason I didn't subscribe in the first place. I read that it would automatically change to paid subscription.

I've been watching free streams on the net and they are usually streaming from league pass itself, so why bother with this crap.

Chronz
11-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Ahhh this method was perfected by AOL back in the day, I remember having to call to cancel my service every month only for them to tell me they would give me another 45 days of free service, this went on for months and I never understood why they did it until the day finally came when I forgot to cancel the subscription.

astrosmaniac
11-06-2012, 12:22 PM
well i never gave them my credit card info, so i think i'll be fine

mgeise
11-06-2012, 12:43 PM
I believe this is only for international League Pass subscribers. I don't believe I ever entered in any credit card information; I'm pretty sure the free trial of League Pass is available to anyone in the U.S. with an NBA.com account. I may be wrong on this, so please correct me if I am.

bholly
11-06-2012, 03:29 PM
i cant get to the page where it says "welcome justin"

Says it in the top right hand corner of any page once you're logged in, I think.

well i never gave them my credit card info, so i think i'll be fine

I believe this is only for international League Pass subscribers. I don't believe I ever entered in any credit card information; I'm pretty sure the free trial of League Pass is available to anyone in the U.S. with an NBA.com account. I may be wrong on this, so please correct me if I am.

Ah, well that's good if it isn't a USA thing as well.

shizzle09
11-06-2012, 04:06 PM
the service is amazing.

0nekhmer
11-06-2012, 08:38 PM
You should always read a little of the terms and conditions. took me less than a minute to find out they will charge you after the trial.Netflix does this too.

JeffG20
11-06-2012, 08:41 PM

i see many subscription services that do it....Netflix, Amazon prime, Huly, etc