PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley is reportedly contemplating leaving TNT gig

CB29
11-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Inside the NBA on TNT pregame show is the king of pregame shows. You can try and dispute that, but theres really no reason to do so. And a big reason why its the king of pregame shows is because of Charles Barkley.

Barkley has flourished in his role for the five-time Emmy award winning show and has become one of the biggest stars in sports broadcasting. But according to Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated, Barkley has become increasingly disengaged with his gig at TNT and hes contemplating walking away from it.

I love my job, Barkley said. I love the people I work with. And Im going to try to do things to keep me engaged. But I have four years left on my current deal and to be honest with you, its going to be a struggle for me to make it for the whole four years. I really dont know how much longer Im going to do this. I need something more, or something else to do to be honest with you.

I only thought I would do this for three or four years but now I have been doing it for 13 years, Barkley said. When I got to my fifth year of broadcasting I was like OK, Ill do this a couple of more years. But now Im like, Dude, you have been doing this for 13 years and if I make it to the end of the contract it will be 17 years. Seventeen years is a long time. Its a lifetime in broadcasting. I personally have to figure out the next challenge for me.

That next challenge may be doing color for games, which Barkley got a taste of last season. And he enjoyed every minute of it.

When I did the game with Kevin and Reggie I had a blast, Barkley said. And judging by the feedback we got, I think the fans liked it too. I am excited to do that this year.

Barkley is scheduled to do two more games this season and it sounds like in order for TNT to keep him, doing color for games may have to be a more frequent part of Barkleys duties.

I think that the addition of Shaq may be playing into this... I love Inside the NBA but it would suck without Chuck...

TheRazorboy
11-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Chuck is the only thing that makes the studio show remotely watchable. Shaq is still a brutal broadcaster, Ernie and Kenny are meh. I can't imagine myself watching at all if Charles bails.

BigCityofDreams
11-05-2012, 07:46 PM
I think that the addition of Shaq may be playing into this... I love Inside the NBA but it would suck without Chuck...

Same thing I thought. It happens all the time on different programs. They bring someone in to add a different voice to the show, the new group lasts a yr or two, and then one of the original members leave.

P Harvy
11-05-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't think it really has to do with Shaq.. maybe a little bit but he has been doing this forever and I didn't realize it was as long as it was.

I'd be in the same boat if I were chuck. I can't see myself doing the same damn thing throughout my life so its good to experience different things.

DoMeFavors
11-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Shaq has nothing to do with it. Shaq and Barkley are friends

Best on TNT are

Reggie Miller
Chris Webber
Charles Barkley

D-Leethal
11-05-2012, 07:52 PM
He sucks anyway. Its like listening to JR Smith try to talk sensibly.

JNoel
11-05-2012, 07:55 PM
I never watch the halftimes or pre-games anyways :hide:

CB29
11-05-2012, 07:56 PM

Best on TNT are

Reggie Miller
Chris Webber
Charles Barkley

On the open court episodes you get a feeling that there is some tension between the two at times...

Ezio
11-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Webber is the best.

Cracka2HI!
11-05-2012, 07:58 PM
I love Barkley on the show but he might be just as good at color! Anything to keep the Chuckster on my TV!

HouRealCoach
11-05-2012, 07:58 PM
An NBA game with Marv Albert, Steve Kerr, & Charles Barkley>>>>>>>>

But I agree him leaving Inside the NBA is like Skip Bayless leaving ESPN First Take

flea
11-05-2012, 08:00 PM
I don't watch pregames and I have quit watching the NBA lately in protest, but I will give the TNT halftime props because it's literally the only one in sports I'll watch. That is pretty much only because of Chuck too.

ManRam
11-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Kind of a bummer to hear.

Chuck fills his role well. They brought in Shaq who's basically a less charismatic and slightly dumber version of Chuck. It's really made the show hard to watch. If Chuck left I'd probably never tune in barring a great remolding of that cast.

DoMeFavors
11-05-2012, 08:01 PM
On the open court episodes you get a feeling that there is some tension between the two at times...

Well Kenny kisses Shaqs *** that guy never disagrees

Nick O
11-05-2012, 08:01 PM
good

dibacco59
11-05-2012, 08:04 PM
that would be amazing if they replaced him with gary payton. anyone remember the nbatv show with payton and c-webb??? hilarious.

3RDASYSTEM
11-05-2012, 08:09 PM
this has DIESEL all over this

recall he said at his retirement that somebody will lose a job, and that TNT is only good for they original big 3, not 4-5 wit CWEBB at times

DIESEL laid it out there,now its formulating

LA_Raiders
11-05-2012, 08:17 PM
he is a hater, so i dont care

JasonJohnHorn
11-05-2012, 08:17 PM
I can understand how that can be boring. I me you talk before the show, you talk at half time, you talk after the game. But you really just sit there for an hour at a time waiting for the half time show which is half-scripted. I think Ernie is a great MC, he's got som funny bits, but he and Kenny feed off of Barkley's energy. Shaq is a comedian, which is what Charles is, so the two don't fit that well together.

But I mean, Chuck raises a good point... 12 years? That is a long time. I can imagine it gets repetative at times and it might be hard to stay engaged. How many times can you talk about: Who's better, LBJ or Kobe? I mean...

Barkley is good at his job, but he will do well where ever he goes, be it to do colour commentary or whatever.

The goods
11-05-2012, 08:18 PM
I love Charles he's always funny

richiesaurus310
11-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Maybe Kobe could replace Chuck in two years, reuniting him with Shaq. Is the studio in LA?

heyman321
11-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Shaq is so unfunny and ruins the flow of TNT, their ratings would definitely decrease if barkley left.

jmoney85
11-05-2012, 08:53 PM
barkley actually knows what hes talking about

Hustla23
11-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Despite having almost no idea what he's talking about, Barkley does add entertainment value.

I can't believe how terrible Shaq has been at this gig. I'm really disappointed and thought he'd add a lot of comedy.

JordansBulls
11-05-2012, 10:25 PM
This would suck badly.

iFYouSeekAmy
11-05-2012, 10:31 PM
bring back Gary Payton

Kuya_Clive
11-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Honestly, I would most likely stop watching pre-game/half-time TNT shows if Charles left. However, I would be interested in hearing him do color commentary.

strahan92osi72
11-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Probably because he can't trash the Knicks anymore.

J4KOP99
11-06-2012, 12:17 AM
this would be ****** news... I love watching Inside the NBA and the halftime/pre-game shows with those guys. Yes, Shaq sucks but Ernie, Kenny, and Chuck have formed some tremendous chemistry and are very entertaining imo.

Chuck on color would be alright but I think he is great at what he is currently doing.

-You really get to see how great the TNT guys are after watching ESPN's ****** pre-game/halftime team... they are awful. Shaq should have went there... he would fit in perfectly.

Say it ain't so chuck!

J4KOP99
11-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Maybe Kobe could replace Chuck in two years, reuniting him with Shaq. Is the studio in LA?

Nah haha, the studio is in Atlanta...

that may be another reason. Chuck is probably tired of traveling back and forth between atlanta and wherever he usually lives.

AddiX
11-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Barkley is probably just trying to renegoiate his contract, he's not leaving.

Captain Moroni
11-06-2012, 12:28 AM
Knicks are legit, Charles quits. About right

KnicksPain
11-06-2012, 12:34 AM
I hate that Barkley rips my team every chance he gets but he is hilarious, makes some good points on occasion, and is so much better than Shaq. I never realized Shaq was as dumb as comedians made him out to be until he joined TNT. I thought he would take the show to another level too smh.

THE MTL
11-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Besides his entertaining ignorant comments, he really SUCKS as an analyst. good riddance.

b@llhog24
11-06-2012, 12:47 AM
If Chuck leaves then the show becomes pretty much unwatchable for me.

Teeboy1487
11-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Charles is truly a funny guy. That show would miss him. I also did not know Shaq would be this bad either. He's more silly than funny and he jokes come off as awkward.

MetroMan
11-06-2012, 12:51 AM
his not going anywhere

jchase3
11-06-2012, 01:00 AM
The job is probably too difficult for him... putting complete sentences together and everything must have finally caught up to him

Diabolical
11-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Barkley is not leaving. TNT is not dumb enough to let him walk. Barkley will do whatever he wants and TNT will permit it.

I love Barkley. ;)

mikekhelxD
11-06-2012, 01:15 AM
I didn't get to see the games he did. Was it good or funny at least? If he do leave the pre/post game show, I'll probably stop watching it. I bet Kenny will leave followed by Ernie. Just replace Shaq, he is close to being useless.

DallasTrilla23
11-06-2012, 01:19 AM
Bring Back GP and fire Shaq

Whenever C-Webb and GP did the tuesday night games, I always laughed so hard. The Rewind the Remix segment was always one of my favorites. They were always having a good time.

Inside the NBA was still pretty good Whenever Chuck left for a little bit during the season where GP joined TNT. GP, Ernie, Kenny and C-Webb were pretty funny together

Evolution23
11-06-2012, 01:39 AM
I love Chuck even though he hates the Knicks. He makes me laugh.

PraiseJesus
11-06-2012, 01:42 AM
He wants to be a GM or coach

Yo, how funny would it be if Barkley was hired to coach the Lakers lol

Sadds The Gr8
11-06-2012, 02:30 AM
I doubt he leaves. he's talked about leaving for years and never has. It would suck *** for him to leave if it happened. Inside the NBA makes basketball 10x more enjoyable

jam
11-06-2012, 04:56 AM
They've got to find a way to get rid of Shaq. The show is literally painful to watch with him in it.

AsfanSince99
11-06-2012, 05:09 AM

Best on TNT are

Reggie Miller
Chris Webber
Charles Barkley
This!
Plus, if you guys haven't seen it, you must watch the new show on NBA tv called Open Court. That show is fun to watch, I always get a few laughs every episode.

No it isn't.

If it was, don't you think Chuck would have said so. He doesn't hold anything back. The article says it all, he needs a new challenge, that's all..

AsfanSince99
11-06-2012, 05:15 AM
I hate that Barkley rips my team every chance he gets but he is hilarious, makes some good points on occasion, and is so much better than Shaq. I never realized Shaq was as dumb as comedians made him out to be until he joined TNT. I thought he would take the show to another level too smh.

Everyone use to rip the Knicks, it's just Barkley never let up..

Manimal
11-06-2012, 05:56 AM
Barkley and Kenny know their stuff. Both probably should be doing more in basketball rather than just being studio analysts. I can see Chuck in a front office and Kenny being a coach.

Shaq is useless. TNT should waive him and bring Webber in full time.

Losoway
11-06-2012, 06:47 AM
chris webber. dennis scott . and the other white guy on Nba tv are the best

nyKnicks126
11-06-2012, 09:03 AM
He is leaving because he is wrong most of the time anyway.. Plus since the Knicks are actually PLAYING DEFENSE, and MELO IS PLAYING DEFENSE, he won't have anything to talk about..

He talks out of his *** most of the time anyway.. Chuck just leave..maybe you can salvage some embrassment..

Andrew32
11-06-2012, 09:29 AM
That would really suck.

I loved the addition of Shaq.
His chemistry with the other has improved dramatically since the beginning and he is a very funny guy and occasionally drops insider knowledge which is fascinating.

The show is perfect imo how it is now.

Barkley kind of feels like the anchor of the show though... I dunno I'd really dislike it if he left.

I'd still watch though even if he got replaced.

Badluck33
11-06-2012, 09:35 AM
I think the best tandem doing commentary is Chuck and Miller. Its the only time I would prefer that over my local broadcast.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-06-2012, 10:13 AM
HEY HONEY.

lol i love chuck.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-06-2012, 10:15 AM
chuck, webber, and reggie are the best imo.

kenny has his moments.

todu82
11-06-2012, 10:48 AM
This would be really to bad for that crew. Barkley's by far the best part of the crew.

PraiseJesus
11-09-2012, 02:49 AM
I only caught the end of the TNT show tonight

Did Chuck say when hes retiring??

KnicksTape
11-09-2012, 02:59 AM
I love Shaq being on there. It's fun when he talks ****.

kblo247
11-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Charles is truly a funny guy. That show would miss him. I also did not know Shaq would be this bad either. He's more silly than funny and he jokes come off as awkward.

Shaq is only good with 3D on NBA tv, once Dennis Scott isn't there he has no feel for commentary or chemistry with others

sintaks12
11-09-2012, 07:56 AM
I guess my sense of what's funny is drastically different than some of you. Barkley is neither funny nor knowledgeable. He's there for one reason: shock value. What will Charles say next? Blah blah blah. He's a horrible analyst. Give me Legs, Smith, Anthony, Barry... hell even Ernie over Charles. I will go so far as to say he's the worst announcer in all of pro sports. "No Sidney... you're just making my eardrums hurt."

mgsports
11-09-2012, 08:05 PM
He can just buy the Kings who are looking to move to Virginia Beach and move them to Auburn. He would do good calling Fan Night Game on Tuesday's.

Jahari Kavi
11-09-2012, 10:43 PM
No...Not Chuck!

JohnStarks94
11-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Good i hope that fat **** never shows his face on tv again.. Fat ****in knick hater. Barkley is a loser and a fat drag queen comercail makin *** lmao.. **** em

KnicksR4Real
11-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Frankly Chuck is absolutely terrible. He is biased and just says the dumbest ****.

TheSource
11-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Gary Payton should be on TNT with C-Webb, Kenny and those boys.

Vinny642
11-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Shaq ruins everything

KnicksorBust
11-10-2012, 12:12 AM
Quote me if you're with me: I don't care.

Aust
11-10-2012, 12:18 AM
He's bored. The man has made it clear he wants to be a GM right? Or was it an owner? I don't remember