PDA

View Full Version : Kobe to play until he's 40?

Kobehatersblow
11-05-2012, 03:48 PM
http://www.lakersnation.com/kobe-bryant-my-aim-is-to-play-until-im-40-years-old/2012/11/05/

“My aim is to play until I’m 40 years old and I believe I can do that. This year, we added very good players to our squad. Steve Nash, Dwight Howard will make us stronger. Right now, things are not going very well but I believe it’ll get better soon.”

Question now is how much do you think he will ask for after his current contract is up?
Lets just hope for the lakers sake it's 12 million or less... That way they can sign another star to pair up with Dwight

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Lakers forum, kid.

P Harvy
11-05-2012, 03:58 PM
So he goes from retiring in what was it, 2 years? To now wanted to play til he's 40??

Or does he mean play til hes 40 overseas? I didn't even read it.

Either way Kobe talks too much. Thats why you can't believe anything that comes out of his mouth.

JordansBulls
11-05-2012, 04:00 PM
So he goes from retiring in what was it, 2 years? To now wanted to play til he's 40??

Or does he mean play til hes 40 overseas? I didn't even read it.

Either way Kobe talks too much. Thats why you can't believe anything that comes out of his mouth.

Yeah I don't get it. Just a month ago he said he would stay 2 more seasons and then it would be Dwight's team and he would be gone. Now he says till he is 40.:confused:

spreadeagle
11-05-2012, 04:01 PM
im sure Dwight is lovin that statement lol...

SINCESTARBURY25
11-05-2012, 04:02 PM
I don't see it

dh144498
11-05-2012, 04:03 PM
he's gonna play until until 50 and go after Russell's 11.

HowFit
11-05-2012, 04:06 PM
He'll only be slower, so go for it....

Kobehatersblow
11-05-2012, 04:10 PM
He'll only be slower, so go for it....

27-3-5 60% shooting the slower he gets the better I guess

ztilzer31
11-05-2012, 04:11 PM
He's also has said he doesn't want a limited role, and this is his last year being a top 5 player in the league IMO. Great player, but he's got a lot of miles on him, and can't get to the rim like in the past.

JNoel
11-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Is this credible? People read things and seem to believe it immediately. I demand a good source.

SirSkyHook
11-05-2012, 04:26 PM
“My aim is to play until I’m 40 years old and I believe I can do that. This year, we added very good players to our squad. Steve Nash, Dwight Howard will make us stronger. Right now, things are not going very well but I believe it’ll get better soon.”

“During the lock-out, I had offers from Turkey and other countries. Beşiktaş was interested in me and they had talks with my agent, but I want to use the lock-out time to recover from my injuries and spend more time with my family so I turned the offers down. Who knows, maybe one day I play basketball in Turkey.”

Full statment from
http://www.lakersnation.com/kobe-bryant-my-aim-is-to-play-until-im-40-years-old/2012/11/05/

He mentioned years ago that he would go over sea's when he retires. The only thing to change is the team he would play for. This is the fsecond time I've heard him mention Trukey.

NYSpirit1
11-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Really? By the time he's done Kobe would have had like 8 more chances at a 6th title than Jordan did and he would fail miserably.

What an idiot.

P Harvy
11-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Really? By the time he's done Kobe would have had like 8 more chances at a 6th title than Jordan did and he would fail miserably.

What an idiot.

lol

JasonJohnHorn
11-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Yeah I don't get it. Just a month ago he said he would stay 2 more seasons and then it would be Dwight's team and he would be gone. Now he says till he is 40.:confused:

I think what he said was that he would re-evaluate after two years...

I bet Dwight heard that and was like: Damn? I gotta play with this ball hog for five more years? I'm signing with Dallas!

nickdymez
11-05-2012, 05:07 PM

What an idiot.

hahahahaha

Dade County
11-05-2012, 05:07 PM
smh

JNoel
11-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Lol Lovemeorhateme, was this worth getting banned over?

AWC713
11-05-2012, 05:58 PM
no chance.

kobes a diva. he wont play if he cant average 20 ppg. i really dont see that happening

amos1er
11-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Kobe has got one of the best "old man games" in the history of the NBA. He could easily play till 40.

StarvingKnick22
11-05-2012, 06:13 PM
He changes his mind everytime.

Chronz
11-05-2012, 06:33 PM
What happened to retiring in a few years or once he was no longer a star scorer?

Raidaz4Life
11-05-2012, 06:35 PM
What happened to retiring in a few years or once he was no longer a star scorer?

I honestly think he is realizing he can find ways to be productive well into his older age and I agree. He is taking a much more passive role this year and looking a lot better as a result of it.

I doubt he plays with the Lakers that long though, especially if he wins his titles. I can see him upping 1 more year after his contract is up and then playing in Europe.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-05-2012, 06:38 PM

What an idiot.

oh noez! :ohno:

theheatles
11-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Kobe will be playing in China by 38

NBAfan4life
11-05-2012, 06:44 PM

I bet Dwight heard that and was like: Damn? I gotta play with this ball hog for five more years? I'm signing with Dallas!

Kobe hasn't been a ball hog so far this year. Maybe this is finally the year he evolves his game one step further and expand on his facilitating abilities.

Chronz
11-05-2012, 06:47 PM
I honestly think he is realizing he can find ways to be productive well into his older age and I agree. He is taking a much more passive role this year and looking a lot better as a result of it.

I doubt he plays with the Lakers that long though, especially if he wins his titles. I can see him upping 1 more year after his contract is up and then playing in Europe.
He said something along the lines of "you wont be seeing me averaging 15-16 PPG". I get the feeling he wants to keep scoring rather than remaining productive but I hope your right.

Raidaz4Life
11-05-2012, 06:53 PM
He said something along the lines of "you wont be seeing me averaging 15-16 PPG". I get the feeling he wants to keep scoring rather than remaining productive but I hope your right.

I think he is beginning to mature beyond that and seeing how he can still be the top dog by playing within the offense and picking his spots. At least I hope so. I think the biggest hindrance to him playing until 40 is himself. Not his body but his mentality. If he can finally settle himself into a team role I can see him being an all-star caliber player until he is 40.

Even though its a small sample size that is what I have seen out of him this year. Not nearly as many bone head shots, but rather him trying to get a play going and getting his teammates involved. Whether or not that keeps up is a different story but even though the Lakers are 1-3 I have loved what I've seen out of Kobe and I rarely say that.

THE MTL
11-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Kobe is playing at an extremely high level. he'll be top 3 SG and top 10 nba player till he retires most likely.

fresh prince
11-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Kobe is a monster. He dropped an easy 40 on the Clipps then came out last night and almost went for a triple double. He can still do whatever the hell he wants and he's been in the league since most of us were either in diapers or just guppy little teenagers. If he wants to play til 40 he'll do it and still be an absolute beast. If anything he will only play smarter as he ages. Big up Kobe Respect!

netsgiantsyanks
11-05-2012, 08:38 PM
overseas?

AIRMAR72
11-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Kobe is a monster. He dropped an easy 40 on the Clipps then came out last night and almost went for a triple double. He can still do whatever the hell he wants and he's been in the league since most of us were either in diapers or just guppy little teenagers. If he wants to play til 40 he'll do it and still be an absolute beast. If anything he will only play smarter as he ages. Big up Kobe Respect!

Its early in the seaon thats why he look good sofar new age wonders Tobe Cryant(Kobe Bryant) is FINISH tobe is not Grant Hill OR MJ neither Kurt Thomas, Robert Parish ,Herb Williams etc his copy style requires too much energy AND leg and ankle strength to play 82games furthermore Tobe I MEANT Kobe is a poor shooter just wait till after the allstar break to see wheels start falling off

BKdoubleStacker
11-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Its early in the seaon thats why he look good sofar new age wonders Tobe Cryant(Kobe Bryant) is FINISH tobe is not Grant Hill OR MJ neither Kurt Thomas, Robert Parish ,Herb Williams etc his copy style requires too much energy AND leg and ankle strength to play 82games furthermore Tobe I MEANT Kobe is a poor shooter just wait till after the allstar break to see wheels start falling off

:confused:

I feel bad for your teachers who had to read your papers

mrblisterdundee
11-06-2012, 12:17 AM
27-3-5 60% shooting the slower he gets the better I guess

Everybody forgets how good Michael Jordan was in his old age. Don't for a second think Kobe can't average 20 points per game at age 36 to 40. Whether that's good or bad for the Lakers is another matter.

thenaj17
11-06-2012, 09:57 AM

Your ignorance is outstanding

Andrew32
11-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Honestly... I am very impressed by Kobe's play so far this year.

However how long can he really keep this up?

I thought he played far beyond his ability last year and as a result had a pretty $hitty year on the whole.
He was horribly inefficient/inconsistent last year offensively.
His defense still sucks and it isn't getting any better.

The point is unless he can magically find some new treatment to renew his body I don't see how he can sustain anywhere near his normal mpg/production until he is 40.

Even 2-3 more years is pushing it.
I think his body will eventually break down and he'll be forced to retire.

The only way I could see him making it to 40 is if he drastically lowers his minutes after this year and eventually settles on like 15-20mpg.

That way he can conserve his body and still contribute offensively to the Lakers without doing too much and hurting them.
He can still be a factor and be a valuable player but he is going to have to change his role to do it.

fresh prince
11-06-2012, 01:56 PM
:confused:

I feel bad for your teachers who had to read your papers

:laugh2: Lots of red marker involved.

whitemamba33
11-06-2012, 02:11 PM
no chance.

kobes a diva. he wont play if he cant average 20 ppg. i really dont see that happening

How is that a diva attitude? He has a standard that he wants to maintain, and if his body can't maintain that standard, he plans to do what is best and walk away.

Lots of ex-superstars have done the opposite, and it ends up hurting the team more than anything else.

Kobe2324
11-06-2012, 02:57 PM
this is great news, the guy can still play clearly, he does not hog the ball when Dwight is in the game, he goes to work when Dwight goes out which is exactly how it should be, he is much more efficient this season and I think that will continue because his shot are coming much easier in the offense. If this continues and nash get him even easier shots and kobe's min stay in the low 30s he could easily extend his career to age 40 and still put up great numbers.

Money_23
11-06-2012, 02:59 PM

what the heck did I just read?

Money_23
11-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Honestly... I am very impressed by Kobe's play so far this year.

However how long can he really keep this up?

I thought he played far beyond his ability last year and as a result had a pretty $hitty year on the whole.
He was horribly inefficient/inconsistent last year offensively.
His defense still sucks and it isn't getting any better.

The point is unless he can magically find some new treatment to renew his body I don't see how he can sustain anywhere near his normal mpg/production until he is 40.

Even 2-3 more years is pushing it.
I think his body will eventually break down and he'll be forced to retire.

The only way I could see him making it to 40 is if he drastically lowers his minutes after this year and eventually settles on like 15-20mpg.

That way he can conserve his body and still contribute offensively to the Lakers without doing too much and hurting them.
He can still be a factor and be a valuable player but he is going to have to change his role to do it.

I personally think his defense was really good in his younger years: all of #8 and the first half of #24.

numba1CHANGsta
11-06-2012, 03:11 PM
I can see him playing that long, i mean look at J. Kidd and Grant Hill, old players playing well into their late 30's, I also expect Nash to play til he's 40

Andrew32
11-06-2012, 03:14 PM
He has a standard that he wants to maintain, and if his body can't maintain that standard, he plans to do what is best and walk away.

Standard? More like image and yes that is very "diva" like.

He could still be a very valuable player later on if he'd accept playing less minutes and averaging less points in a different role but he wouldn't do it because of his ego.

Andrew32
11-06-2012, 03:15 PM
I personally think his defense was really good in his younger years: all of #8 and the first half of #24.

Yeah I meant his defense sucked last year.
I wasn't talking about his whole career obviously.

It wasn't until 2010 imo that his defense started going down hill.