PDA

View Full Version : Predict your top 15 players of all time 15 years from now

el hidalgo
11-05-2012, 05:05 AM
If you had to guess, what do you think your top 15 15 years from now will look like? feel free to post top 20 or 30 if youd rather

metsfan99999
11-05-2012, 05:43 AM
The only player currently playing that has a legitimate argument that he can play himself into the top 15 is Kevin Durant. Guys like Kobe, Lebron and Duncan have already done enough to solidify themselves in the top 15 and younger rising stars like Derrick Rose, Kevin Love and Anthony Davis don't have anywhere near the body of work to deserve legitimate consideration at this point. Anything else is pure speculation which I am sure is going to bring out the homers. Also in the next 15 years there is probably going to be another Lebron-esque phenom who catapults himself into the discussion, but odds are he is still in middle school and I don't really feel like speculating on the future of 8th grade AAU players.

IBleedPurple
11-05-2012, 05:56 AM
A bunch of beast 3rd to 5th graders?

JasonJohnHorn
11-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Durnat is the only player in the league right now that I think has top15 potential (that aren't alreaady in my top 15), and perhaps CP3. There are some great talents in the league, Rose and Love for example, who still have a lot to prove and may earn that kind of ranking, but that is a long shot in my book. If Kobe can't crack my top-15, then I don't Love or Rose will, though I expect Love will have a better shot with his range and rebounding.

Guys in my top 15 are (in no particular order):
Russell
Wilt
Kareem
Oscar
Magic
Bird
Jordan
Duncan
Garnett
Barkley
K. Malone
Hakeem
Robinson
Shaq
LBJ
Stockton

Cal827
11-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Kobe Bryant.

Raidaz4Life
11-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Eh, I tried but way too many variables for me to make a legit list. Kobe could win 3 more titles, Lebron could win 3 more titles, Durant could win the next 4 straight MVP's.... I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin.

alexander_37
11-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Eh, I tried but way too many variables for me to make a legit list. Kobe could win 3 more titles, Lebron could win 3 more titles, Durant could win the next 4 straight MVP's.... I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin.

Lmfao, Kobe will not win 3 more titles. I doubt he wins 1 more.

mightybosstone
11-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Of all the recent historical threads that have popped up, I think this one has been my favorite. I think it's a very clever idea to have people predict that far into the future, and one which takes quite a bit of thought. I'm not putting as much work into this as I ought to, because I'm at work, but here's my projected top 15 in 15 years:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Lebron James
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Magic Johnson
5. Larry Bird
6. Bill Russell
7. Wilt Chamberlain
8. Tim Duncan
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Shaquille O'Neal
11. Kevin Durant
12. Kobe Bryant
13. Moses Malone
14. Oscar Robinson
15. Jerry West

I think when it's all said and done, Lebron will pass anyone not named Jordan on the all-time list and post insane career numbers, career achievements and advanced stats. He won't get as many titles as Kobe or Jordan, but his numbers and MVPs will speak for themselves and make him worth of the No. 2 all-time spot.

The only other guy who has a solid shot of reaching the top 15 is Durant. Is 11 a little optimistic? Probably, because OKC has a potential to explode and never win a title. However, I think the West is about to have a lot of elite players retire and OKC could end up being the best team in the conference for a decade. Durant has the potential to win multiple scoring titles, MVPs and rings and he is already a more efficient scorer and shooter than Kobe ever was. If Durant can take his defense to another level (which he has the ability to do), I can definitely see him cracking the top 20 and possibly the top 15.

KnicksorBust
11-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Durant could crack the list but I don't think he will. LeBron will jump into the top 5. MBT might be right. He could be #2. Kobe will be #4. Duncan will be #7. Everybody else (Durant, CP3, Love, Dwight, Nash, Irving) will not crack the top 15.

mightybosstone
11-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Durant could crack the list but I don't think he will. LeBron will jump into the top 5. MBT might be right. He could be #2. Kobe will be #4. Duncan will be #7. Everybody else (Durant, CP3, Love, Dwight, Nash, Irving) will not crack the top 15.

Kobe at No. 4? Who is he jumping? I know you think he's better than Bird, but do you have him jumping Wilt, Russell, Kareem and/or Magic, too? I would disagree with all four, as well as Bird, Duncan, Hakeem and Shaq.

I think my prediction for Durant was a tad optimistic. Part of that is the UT fan in me, but the other part is just how deadly he looked last season in the playoffs and the insane potential I see in him. The dude is 6'11" with the skills of a shooting guard, and when he learns to use his length more defensively, he's going to win a lot of MVPs.

The only other players still playing who I could potentially see cracking that list are Dwyane Wade and Chris Paul. They're both capable of putting up crazy advanced numbers and will always be in the MVP discussion, but they both have shown signs of being injury prone and I don't think either will still be playing this well in five years.

If Blake Griffin ever learns how to shoot a jump shot or use his athleticism on defense, the Clippers would immediately be contenders, but I'm not sure that will happen any time soon, which will prevent Paul from getting higher than maybe 30-40 on the all-time list. Wade is already probably on the decline in his career and playing as Lebron's No. 2 almost automatically means he has no shot at cracking the top 15.

Dirk and KG are both already arguably top 20-25 already, but both are clearly on the decline and I can't see either guy winning another title or being in MVP contention again barring some unforeseen mega trade.

KnicksorBust
11-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Kobe at No. 4? Who is he jumping? I know you think he's better than Bird, but do you have him jumping Wilt, Russell, Kareem and/or Magic, too? I would disagree with all four, as well as Bird, Duncan, Hakeem and Shaq.

I think my prediction for Durant was a tad optimistic. Part of that is the UT fan in me, but the other part is just how deadly he looked last season in the playoffs and the insane potential I see in him. The dude is 6'11" with the skills of a shooting guard, and when he learns to use his length more defensively, he's going to win a lot of MVPs.

The only other players still playing who I could potentially see cracking that list are Dwyane Wade and Chris Paul. They're both capable of putting up crazy advanced numbers and will always be in the MVP discussion, but they both have shown signs of being injury prone and I don't think either will still be playing this well in five years.

If Blake Griffin ever learns how to shoot a jump shot or use his athleticism on defense, the Clippers would immediately be contenders, but I'm not sure that will happen any time soon, which will prevent Paul from getting higher than maybe 30-40 on the all-time list. Wade is already probably on the decline in his career and playing as Lebron's No. 2 almost automatically means he has no shot at cracking the top 15.

Dirk and KG are both already arguably top 20-25 already, but both are clearly on the decline and I can't see either guy winning another title or being in MVP contention again barring some unforeseen mega trade.

That's true. I didn't think of Wade. He'll tack on another 2-3 titles easily with LeBron/Bosh. His resume will be tough to beat against the all-time greats.

In regards to Kobe, I believe he'll "get" to #4 because he's already AT #4. :)

Hellcrooner
11-05-2012, 01:49 PM
too much time, we have no ****ing idea if there is another lebron/durant out there that is like 12 right now and will be at his prime in 15 years.

Neither do we now the real ceilling of some rookies/sophomores.

mightybosstone
11-05-2012, 01:56 PM
That's true. I didn't think of Wade. He'll tack on another 2-3 titles easily with LeBron/Bosh. His resume will be tough to beat against the all-time greats.
But it probably won't matter.

In regards to Kobe, I believe he'll "get" to #4 because he's already AT #4. :)
Two things... 1. That's absolutely ridiculous to begin with. Kobe at No. 4, means you think he's already better than Kareem, Magic, Wilt, Russell and/or Bird, which is disgusting. I think Duncan, Hakeem and Shaq are at least debatable (although still misguided). What are you basing your all-time list off of? Do you even look at advanced stats or consider that the dude won ONE MVP that he didn't even deserve? I have him top 10 and can even stomach someone putting him in the 6-8 range, but 4th is absolutely insane.

2. If you have Lebron jumping Kobe to No. 2, then Kobe would have to jump someone to stay at No. 4. So the question remains who is Kobe jumping to stay at that spot and what is he accomplishing at this point in his career in order to make that jump?

mightybosstone
11-05-2012, 02:04 PM
too much time, we have no ****ing idea if there is another lebron/durant out there that is like 12 right now and will be at his prime in 15 years.
To crack the top 15 all-time 15 years from now, a player would have to probably at least be in high school right now to accomplish that feat. No one is going to crack the top 15 after only five or six years in the league. So I'm not buying that argument.

Neither do we now the real ceilling of some rookies/sophomores.
This is probably true to some extent, but the only guys who I think could even have the potential to touch this kind of greatness are possibly Kyrie Irving and Anthony Davis. Irving, IMO, will never be as good of a PG as Chris Paul and while he could end up being a Derrick Rose type player, no way will he be an all-time top 15 guy. Davis could, but right now he has no post game and his offensive game is extremely raw despite his off the charts defensive potential. Could he be the next Duncan or Olajuwon? Possibly, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

KnicksorBust
11-05-2012, 02:39 PM
But it probably won't matter.

Two things... 1. That's absolutely ridiculous to begin with. Kobe at No. 4, means you think he's already better than Kareem, Magic, Wilt, Russell and/or Bird, which is disgusting. I think Duncan, Hakeem and Shaq are at least debatable (although still misguided). What are you basing your all-time list off of? Do you even look at advanced stats or consider that the dude won ONE MVP that he didn't even deserve? I have him top 10 and can even stomach someone putting him in the 6-8 range, but 4th is absolutely insane.

2. If you have Lebron jumping Kobe to No. 2, then Kobe would have to jump someone to stay at No. 4. So the question remains who is Kobe jumping to stay at that spot and what is he accomplishing at this point in his career in order to make that jump?

Will respond to this later. For clarification:

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Magic
4. Kobe

And you are correct on your other point. Once LeBron becomes #2, Kobe would slide to #5.

Hellcrooner
11-05-2012, 02:59 PM
To crack the top 15 all-time 15 years from now, a player would have to probably at least be in high school right now to accomplish that feat. No one is going to crack the top 15 after only five or six years in the league. So I'm not buying that argument.

This is probably true to some extent, but the only guys who I think could even have the potential to touch this kind of greatness are possibly Kyrie Irving and Anthony Davis. Irving, IMO, will never be as good of a PG as Chris Paul and while he could end up being a Derrick Rose type player, no way will he be an all-time top 15 guy. Davis could, but right now he has no post game and his offensive game is extremely raw despite his off the charts defensive potential. Could he be the next Duncan or Olajuwon? Possibly, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

Kareem, Magic, Bird settled their position in the top 10 in like 4 years or something like that.

Jordan took a slight bit longer..... his 7th season.

Lebron, had his FO at cleveland not been cheap would have probably stablished himself fast enough.

So, i find 100% posible that some 12 year old we have not heard about can crack the top 15 ever in 15 years , he will be 27 and he may be on his 9th season in the league.

Also i have a hint that the "next big thing" wont come from Usa or Europe but from Africa ( developed either in HS and COllege in the states or in Europe)