PDA

View Full Version : Correcting Draft Day Mistakes

JasonJohnHorn
11-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Every team has made some bone-headed moves in the draft over the years. Portland drafting Bowie over Jordan. Detroit drafting Darko over Wade, Bosh and Melo. ATL drafting Jon Koncak and Sac-town drafting Joe Klien over Karl Malone! The Clippers drafting the Candy Man over just about anybody, including Dirk. Washington drafting Brown ahead of Gasol.

This list goes on.

but if you could go back in time and make one change to your fav team's draft choice, what would it be?

abe_froman
11-04-2012, 08:14 PM
77 aba dispersal draft-i'd take moses over a train
95-passing on mike finley for jason caffy was something to correct
04-while deng and bg arent a bad haul.iggy,al jerfferson,josh smith,kevin martin all where sitting for awhile
06-trading lma for tyson(if there's no ripple effect that causes 08 draft to be different)is an obvious and well publicized mistake

but the biggest one and my pick for this,knowing what i know now.is 2002 not taking amare with the 2nd pick

KnicksorBust
11-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Talk about nit-picking ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ damn

Raps08-09 Champ
11-04-2012, 08:43 PM
06-trading lma for tyson(if there's no ripple effect that causes 08 draft to be different)is an obvious and well publicized mistake

The Bulls originally wanted Tyrus Thomas to begin with. The only reason they made a trade was because Portland didn't want to risk waiting for him with the 4th and the Bulls didn't want to reach for Tyrus when they could've traded down.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Rafael Araujo over Iguodala.

JasonJohnHorn
11-04-2012, 09:29 PM
I remember SVG, complaining as a commentator, that the Knicks had drafted Frederic Weis over Ron Artest (aka Metta World-Peace). Who is Frederic Weis you asked? Well, he never played a single game in the NBA, but as an international player he was involved in one of the most watched plays in the history of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

Baller1
11-04-2012, 09:35 PM
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports/files/library/swift2.jpg

JasonJohnHorn
11-04-2012, 09:45 PM
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports/files/library/swift2.jpg

Who is that guy? lol

Edit: Nevermind... I looked up... came straight outta highschool? And made over 3 million in the final year of his contract. Now he plays in Japan... I can just hear the GM's excuse now: "You can't teach height!"

KnicksorBust
11-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Picks outside of the top 5-6 you can't really ***** about it. I'm sorry those picks are more likely to be role players or outright busts than starting quality players or even all-stars.

quadsas
11-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Rockets fans still give Morey **** about trading Gay for Battier (don't know exact details). ofc it might've not been a bad move at time, Battier was younger and still good, but with Gay plus Yao and T-Mac and all of them healthy Rockets would've probably shipped some rangz.

JasonJohnHorn
11-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Rockets fans still give Morey **** about trading Gay for Battier (don't know exact details). ofc it might've not been a bad move at time, Battier was younger and still good, but with Gay plus Yao and T-Mac and all of them healthy Rockets would've probably shipped some rangz.

Battier was a solid pick that year. He was extremely profession, had a great college career, in the Final Four twice in four years and won it all with Duke, swept all the award. I was surprised to see him drop as far down as he did to be honest. He went 6th overall... thought he might go a little higher than that. I remember getting into an arguement with a friend and I said: Battier is going to have a way better career than Kawme Brown. It was the hole: highschool vs. 4 years a college debate.

I think, in hindsight, I was right ;-)

Baller1
11-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Who is that guy? lol

Edit: Nevermind... I looked up... came straight outta highschool? And made over 3 million in the final year of his contract. Now he plays in Japan... I can just hear the GM's excuse now: "You can't teach height!"

It was a brutal pick. You should see a before and after picture.

NBAfan4life
11-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Timberwolves have made many mistakes. I would simply keep Ray Allen instead of trading for Marbury. Allen Kg would of been fun to watch in Minnesota

Ty Fast
11-04-2012, 10:32 PM
bowie over mj
darko over melo
oden over kd

JordansBulls
11-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Bulls 2003, I would have traded up in the draft and taken Wade instead of hoping he fell to 7th and getting Hinrich.