PDA

View Full Version : Need help understanding something

HouRealCoach
11-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Isn't the rule in the NBA is that you can't trade back to back first round picks?

How did the Nets get to trade their first rounders in 2011 & 2012 for Deron Williams & Gerald Wallace?

Gram
11-04-2012, 03:17 PM
I thought that was a rule too. Now I have no idea.

JasonJohnHorn
11-04-2012, 03:19 PM
I think once a player is actually drafted they can be traded because they are no longer considered a pick.

The Nets had 2 first round picks in 2011, one which was theirs and one which they got via a trade. Their own pick was traded to Utah in the D-Will trade I believe, and the other pick was traded AFTER the draft, when he was already a player. So beause they did draft a player in the first round in 2011, I think they were allowed to trade next seasons pick. I could be wrogn though. This is just a guess.

StarvingKnick22
11-04-2012, 03:41 PM
No, you cant trade two consecutive 1st round picks in one trade.

JEDean89
11-04-2012, 03:59 PM
^^^ i don't think that's correct, i'm pretty sure you can't owe consecutive picks, i don't know about what happens if you trade a draft pick, the draft happens, then you trade the next years draft. basically i think that if the first of 2 picks has already been drafted, then you can trade the 2nd?

topdog
11-04-2012, 04:03 PM
I think once a player is actually drafted they can be traded because they are no longer considered a pick.

The Nets had 2 first round picks in 2011, one which was theirs and one which they got via a trade. Their own pick was traded to Utah in the D-Will trade I believe, and the other pick was traded AFTER the draft, when he was already a player. So beause they did draft a player in the first round in 2011, I think they were allowed to trade next seasons pick. I could be wrogn though. This is just a guess.

You must have a 1st round pick every other year going into the draft. As long as you here "the Nets select..." then it counts as a pick made and whatever happens to that player after is just like any other player on the roster.

As for 2011, New Jersey had a pick from LA. They traded that pick (27th) and a future second rounder to Boston for Marshon Brooks (the 25th pick). So, they do have a pick from the 2011 draft still on their roster.

bholly
11-04-2012, 07:33 PM
topdog has it right (although it doesn't make any difference that they have Brooks), starvingknick is hilariously wrong.

You can't ever be in a situation where you could end up with no first rounder in two consecutive future drafts. That's the rule.

The keys are that it only counts for future drafts, and any picks count (not just your own).

When they made the DWill and Wallace trades they still had the Lakers' pick for 2011, and their own 2013,2014,2015,etc picks, so there were no consecutive future drafts for which they might end up with no first round picks.

Also note that it only matters for future drafts. So even though they didn't have a first rounder in 2012, they can still trade their first rounder for 2013 if they want, because they 2012 draft has been and gone and doesn't count towards the rule anymore.

abe_froman
11-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Isn't the rule in the NBA is that you can't trade back to back first round picks?

How did the Nets get to trade their first rounders in 2011 & 2012 for Deron Williams & Gerald Wallace?

no,you can.you just have to have a first round pick(can be anybody's orginally) in every other draft

knicksfan42
11-04-2012, 08:02 PM
No, you cant trade two consecutive 1st round picks in one trade.

:laugh: