PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Free Agent Signing 2012-2013 Off Season

ilovesports
11-04-2012, 09:04 AM
After it is all said and done, which free agent signings this off season will we look back upon as the BEST and WORST contracts.

Factors like production, length, and amount should all apply. My picks are just quick as im playing poker, so feel free to expand!

Mine

Best Signing: BJ Upton - figures it all out, realizes and plays to his potential

Worst Signing: Josh Hamilton - injuries continue to be an issue and only produces for the first few years of his contract

JOSKOMANG4
11-04-2012, 09:16 AM
if someone that isnt the st. louis cards signs kyle loshe, then yes worst signing this offseason.

best signing, imo, will be bj upton to the washington nationals or adam laroche goin to the red sox.

ilovesports
11-04-2012, 09:33 AM
I was tempted to put Laroche, happy im not totally out to lunch lol

SenorGato
11-04-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm with you on Upton putting it together. I think the team that signs him is going to be very happy and possibly getting themselves someadat surplus value. Prime aged CF showing more HR power to go with speed, patience, and some excellent defensive tools.

I also think Russel Martin is going to be a high quality buy for someone who wants a C who brings some HRs to go with his D and durability.

Worst is going to be some pitcher probably.

Scully in 2012
11-04-2012, 01:52 PM
IF a team gives Josh Hamilton the 7X175 he is asking for I think that skyrockets him to the top of the worst contract. Injuries and substance abuse make him to risky for that kind of commitment.

The best - Dan Haren or Kyle Loshe...leaning towards Haren. If a team can lock him up for a 3 years X 40 mil. Type deal they will be the best.

Jeffy25
11-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Fangraphs did a breakdown on this.

5 worst
Lohse, Dice K, Delmon Young, Napoli, and Bourn

5 best
Swisher, Upton, Sanchez, Greinke, and Pagan

I don't necessarily agree, but I would say Sanchez, Melky, McCarthy are my best signigns

SenorGato
11-04-2012, 02:51 PM
I think Hamilton is going to be a better buy than hes credited for.

Pinstripe pride
11-05-2012, 10:49 AM
soriano will be the worst

greinke will be the best

dodgersuck
11-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Upton or Hamilton will be the worst, Soria or Madson will be the best (see Fernando Rodney last year).

levignjw
11-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Fangraphs did a breakdown on this.

5 worst
Lohse, Dice K, Delmon Young, Napoli, and Bourn

5 best
Swisher, Upton, Sanchez, Greinke, and Pagan

I don't necessarily agree, but I would say Sanchez, Melky, McCarthy are my best signigns

This, x1000000000

adab
11-05-2012, 11:34 AM
This entire thing is a bit premature. Wait till you see the years and dollars before you assess the value. Pure speculation until then.

ilovesports
11-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Agreed it is premature, but that's kind of the point. We can do nothing but speculate at this point... give me your best Miss Cleo

MetsFanatic19
11-05-2012, 01:28 PM
If Hamilton can go to a team where he has plenty of protection and the spotlight wouldn't be only on him, I think he could be a very good signing for a contending team.

Jeffy25
11-05-2012, 03:40 PM
I think Hamilton is going to be a better buy than hes credited for.

If he gets anything close to his asking price he won't.

If he tops 5 years AND 125 million, you have to think it's a bad signing.

popo85
11-05-2012, 05:12 PM
If he gets anything close to his asking price he won't.

If he tops 5 years AND 125 million, you have to think it's a bad signing.

I also think he gets 5yrs 125 mill at most

DerekJeterDan
11-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Kevin Youkilis played extremely well in Chicago after being traded from Boston, where he struggled. If a team gets him on a short term deal I think he is the perfect player who has "best deal potential.'' He's a grinder, he gives you 100 percent every single at-bat and he is capable of playing first and third in a pinch. Youk quickly becomes a fan favorite wherever he plays. If healthy and if signed to the right deal, I wouldn't be shocked to see Youkilis be a player that fans enjoy seeing in the daily lineup. Total gamer.

As for pitching, I'm going with Mariano Rivera just on sentimental reasons alone. It's good he will be back in 2013, his final year, after all he struggled through last year. If he stays healthy and if he even pitches remotely close to what he has done in the past Yankee fans will have so much to look forward too since this is the final year of his career, most likely. Rivera will go down as one of the better signing this offseason regardless of result.

Tkais9009
11-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Lohse will be the worst contract of this offseason by far.... at least for pitchers