PDA

View Full Version : Is Dwight Howard the Most Overrated Player in the NBA?

ztilzer31
11-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Pretty self explanatory post. I just don't see him being the offensive force necessary to be considered a top 5 player in the NBA right now, even though a lot of people think he is. I think he's the best center in the league during an era of bad centers. When I grew up watching basketball it was way different. You had Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, and guys that made differences on both ends of the court. For how big and athletically gifted Howard is, I just don't see it. I don't see him getting better.

He's pretty good, don't get me wrong, but I just don't think he's nearly as dominant as people pretend he is.

netsgiantsyanks
11-03-2012, 07:41 PM
lmao.

ldawg
11-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Dude Was injured and played his 5th game in six months after back injury. What do u expect?

b@llhog24
11-03-2012, 07:46 PM
:facepalm:

Fly
11-03-2012, 07:48 PM
He averages 18.4 PTS/13 TRB/2.2 BLKS in his career.

What a terrible player.

Greedy22
11-03-2012, 07:48 PM
:laugh2:

ztilzer31
11-03-2012, 07:52 PM
I don't think he's bad lol. In fact I mentioned twice that I think he's the best center, but I just don't think he's nearly as valuable as people make him out to be. L.A. is better with him, and its going to take time for him to get use to playing with other stars, but I honestly think people overrate him.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-03-2012, 07:55 PM
You will see by season's end, I'll leave it at that. :)

Cracka2HI!
11-03-2012, 07:58 PM
He is a great player and the best Center in the league, but I think he's overrated because of the hype the Lakers got when the trade was made. I don't think he is so much better than Bynum(who is the 2nd best Center) that it made them as dominant as most thought they would be. Sure it is early in the season, but imagine what would have happened if you posted on this site that the Lakers would start 0-3 after a win less preseason? Dwight is not so much better than Bynum for there to have been 70+ win talk and invincible dynasty team talk IMO. So I voted that he is overrated...at least on this site. I still think the Lakers can win the title if the team gels, but I'm starting to think the team won't gel with Mike Brown as head coach. That would have been crazy talk here 2 months ago.

xxplayerxx23
11-03-2012, 08:00 PM
:laugh:

NetsPaint
11-03-2012, 08:02 PM
He's not better than Tyson Chandler and Noah.

Fly
11-03-2012, 08:04 PM

You're kidding.. right..?

SportsFanatic10
11-03-2012, 08:04 PM

lol at this post and this thread

NetsPaint
11-03-2012, 08:05 PM
You're kidding.. right..?
When's the last time Howard dominated Chandler?

ztilzer31
11-03-2012, 08:05 PM
He is a great player and the best Center in the league, but I think he's overrated because of the hype the Lakers got when the trade was made. I don't think he is so much better than Bynum(who is the 2nd best Center) that it made them as dominant as most thought they would be. Sure it is early in the season, but imagine what would have happened if you posted on this site that the Lakers would start 0-3 after a win less preseason? Dwight is not so much better than Bynum for there to have been 70+ win talk and invincible dynasty team talk IMO. So I voted that he is overrated...at least on this site. I still think the Lakers can win the title if the team gels, but I'm starting to think the team won't gel with Mike Brown as head coach. That would have been crazy talk here 2 months ago.

I agree. I was having such a problem figuring out why they wanted Howard so bad. Howard is not so much better than Bynum. They traded the second best center in the league with attitude problems for the best center in the league with attitude problems.

I just don't see this team winning a championship unless they make a serious move. They need defense in the backcourt, and more options off the bench.

cbs9889
11-03-2012, 08:10 PM
almost 22 ppg and .618 shooting the dude just isn't an offensive person i expect 100 ppg and 1.000 from him or he is overrated lol

THE GIPPER
11-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Pat Burke > Dwight Howard

last stand
11-03-2012, 08:19 PM
you guys do realize he just started running like a month and half ago. yes running. not lifting or playing basketball. running.

Minimal
11-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Seriously u guys are idiots who doesn't think he is the best center in the NBA.

KnicksorBust
11-03-2012, 08:33 PM

Did you even know Dwight was injured all summer? The Lakers are going to be as good as everyone made them out to be and Howard will be the same player we saw in Orlando. Dominating DEFENSIVELY and commanding double teams on offense. It's just going to take Howard getting back into game shape and the team getting chemistry together. Think back to the Heat's start when they got LeBron. They were about a .500 team through the first 15-20 games of the season.

Teeboy1487
11-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Another day another illogical thread on PSD.

nbrod
11-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Lolz

Cracka2HI!
11-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Did you even know Dwight was injured all summer? The Lakers are going to be as good as everyone made them out to be and Howard will be the same player we saw in Orlando. Dominating DEFENSIVELY and commanding double teams on offense. It's just going to take Howard getting back into game shape and the team getting chemistry together. Think back to the Heat's start when they got LeBron. They were about a .500 team through the first 15-20 games of the season.

I don't disagree with that, but this should have been noted at the time where people where saying the Lakers will easily win 70 games and the Championship. I thought it was pretty obvious the Lakers could struggle to start the season. I don't think they should have been considered a favorite over OKC or San Antonio and certainly not over the Heat. I don't think they should with Howard at 100%. They should be considered a contender for sure, but they should have never been considered the favorite IMO. That's why I think he's overrated.

KnicksorBust
11-03-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't disagree with that, but this should have been noted at the time where people where saying the Lakers will easily win 70 games and the Championship. I thought it was pretty obvious the Lakers could struggle to start the season. I don't think they should have been considered a favorite over OKC or San Antonio and certainly not over the Heat. I don't think they should with Howard at 100%. They should be considered a contender for sure, but they should have never been considered the favorite IMO. That's why I think he's overrated.

It's a reasonable response... but if you wanted to narrow your perspective to accept the ramblings of every clown PSD as gospel then there are a LOT of overrated players in the NBA. There are ridiculous claims made on this site every minute. Oh and in my book the Lakers and Clippers are the still the faves to come out of the West.

Mr. LA
11-03-2012, 09:07 PM
where is the poll option that says: No, you are a clown! ????

StarvingKnick22
11-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Deron Williams is.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-03-2012, 09:16 PM
question to everyone stalking this thread...

if the Lakers need a point and kobe is having a horrible shooting night, who would you go to to get the point (high chance howard gets fouled if given to him in the post)?

jimm120
11-03-2012, 09:26 PM
I don't think he's bad lol. In fact I mentioned twice that I think he's the best center, but I just don't think he's nearly as valuable as people make him out to be. L.A. is better with him, and its going to take time for him to get use to playing with other stars, but I honestly think people overrate him.

look....if you measure him up to the standards of :

PATRICK EWING
Shaq
David Robinson
Hakeem

...then you're not gonna have him highly. But if you put Dwight in during the 90's, he'd be a mix ofMutombo with more athleticism (allowing for better offense)

Greedy22
11-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Deron Williams is. :nod:

P Harvy
11-03-2012, 09:35 PM
He's a top 10 player in the league but yes he's somewhat overrated. Always has been in my opinion.

xxplayerxx23
11-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Top 3 still IMO. top 5 at worst.

KnickaBocka.44
11-03-2012, 09:54 PM

if the Lakers need a point and kobe is having a horrible shooting night, who would you go to to get the point (high chance howard gets fouled if given to him in the post)?

You give the ball to Nash and let him get into the lane and either take the shot himself or set someone up.

Greedy22
11-03-2012, 10:03 PM

I want the ball in Nash's hands always in this case even if Kobe is hot. He's one of the best shooters and a top playmaker in the league, I trust him to make the best decision possible rather than Kobe play hero mode and I :love: Kobe.

uncleben989
11-03-2012, 10:11 PM
blake griffin runs away with that title

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-03-2012, 10:29 PM
I want the ball in Nash's hands always in this case even if Kobe is hot. He's one of the best shooters and a top playmaker in the league, I trust him to make the best decision possible rather than Kobe play hero mode and I :love: Kobe.
ok lets say you can only choose howard posting or kobe iso.

and you need a desperate shot..

what would you want?

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-03-2012, 10:31 PM
i feel with howard, kobe would need to be scoring a lot more. with bynum, he not only was a better ft shooter, but has a better array of post moves.

imo bynum would be the better fit for the lakers with the current play calls and tempo the lakers are utilizing.

mike brown better think of a new way to better utilize howard.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-03-2012, 10:33 PM
not saying he is overrated, i was just curious what other posters felt about howards fit in LA.

imo hes not overrated. top 3 player.

MTL_123
11-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Skip is that you?

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-03-2012, 10:44 PM
-_-

Greedy22
11-03-2012, 10:49 PM
ok lets say you can only choose howard posting or kobe iso.

and you need a desperate shot..

what would you want?

Well if you're talking desperate where it needs to be shot quickly without a trail of thought I want Kobe shooting it, but I'd want him shooting over both Bynum and Howard.

Greedy22
11-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Skip is that you?

-_-

:laugh:

rockbottom2010
11-03-2012, 10:55 PM
hes the best center in the league....w/o question...unlike skip bayless...saying that bynum is the best center...what a truck

Rndy
11-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Howard sucks what kind of man has Back surgery and isn't 100% right away? What a scrub.

Rndy
11-03-2012, 10:57 PM
dbl

JNoel
11-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Howard sucks plain and simple

Greedy22
11-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Howard sucks what kind of man has Back surgery and isn't 100% right away? What a scrub.

Right?!

Gospel.

49erGiantLaker
11-03-2012, 11:27 PM
No. Mike Brown just sucks as the Lakers coach.

seikou8
11-03-2012, 11:37 PM

:facepalm:some miami fans man

JNoel
11-03-2012, 11:38 PM
:facepalm:some miami fans man

:facepalm:some new york fans man #sarcasm

Longhornfan1234
11-03-2012, 11:43 PM
They should've kept Bynum.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-03-2012, 11:56 PM
wow lakers better win tomorrow otherwise the laker haters will be out in bunches.

JNoel
11-04-2012, 12:03 AM
If Mike Frown didn't run the Harvard offense, Dedrick Howard would be a much better underall player than he is currently.

AIRMAR72
11-04-2012, 12:35 AM
look ive said this multiple times howard is OVERRATED the man is like ROBO-COP trying to hoop with his greek god body runs the floor well and block shots but he lacks shooting touch no legit go to moves very stiff and predictable with his moves poor IQ, poor bigman ball skills ,poor offensive game ,poor passer from the post a magnet for fouls NO TRUE progress in his overall game the man is not serious about basketball in the NBA thats Dwight Howard

nickdymez
11-04-2012, 01:30 AM

This is just a silly sentence. I dont know why :facepalm:

Raph12
11-04-2012, 04:25 AM
He's coming off back surgery, isn't 100% and yet makes scoring look easy... When you play on the same team as Kobe, yet draw more defensive attention, I think you qualify as a dominant offensive force.

Ignorant posters.

NYKNYGNYY
11-04-2012, 04:55 AM
People need to relax its the first week of the season , lakers will he just fine ,new pg new center its gonna take a little time to gel , look at the knicks still tryna figure it out ..(just an example )

Iron24th
11-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Bring back kwame!

Cracka2HI!
11-04-2012, 06:51 AM
This is just a silly sentence. I dont know why :facepalm:
Maybe, but I don't think you can make an intelligent argument against anything else I said. If you don't think the Lakers are WAY over hyped on this forum than :facepalm: to you as well.

Andrew32
11-04-2012, 07:07 AM
Dude Was injured and played his 5th game in six months after back injury. What do u expect?
Exactly... good post and by the way how is scoring 20ppg on amazing efficiency not making a difference on the offensive end???

Sure he isn't and probably will never be a Shaq or Kareem offensively but he isn't that far behind guys like Robinson or Ewing either.

They scored more then Dwight but were much less efficient.

Assuming he stays averaging 20+ppg on great efficiency and remains the best defensive anchor/rebounder in the league he will surely be Top 5 in terms of overall impact & value.

Howard does play with the most overrated player in the NBA though. ;)

MetroMan
11-04-2012, 07:26 AM
:cricket:

DanG
11-04-2012, 07:28 AM
No.

Lakers4life08
11-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Agree, Shawn Bradley>>>>>Howard

DeadlyVeyerus31
11-04-2012, 08:11 AM
JaVale McGee > Dwight Howard

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-04-2012, 08:44 AM
yes very overrated, look whats going on with the lakers.

JasonJohnHorn
11-04-2012, 02:32 PM
People don't say he's the best player in the league, just the best center.

Jarvo
11-04-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't like him, But he isn't overrated :facepalm:

lol, please
11-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Howard couldn't hold Shaq's jock-strap with two pairs of gloves on.

JWO35
11-04-2012, 04:28 PM
It isn't his fault...it's the lack of Bigs in the NBA, but yeah he's overrated

netsgiantsyanks
11-04-2012, 04:40 PM

is shaq in the nba right now? he isn't? ok.

JordansBulls
11-04-2012, 10:48 PM
How is he overrated?

LaLa_Land
11-04-2012, 10:54 PM
You will see by season's end, I'll leave it at that. :)

The thread should have ended here. Explains everything.

Raph12
11-05-2012, 01:25 AM

Bynum is as overrated as the come, Dwight has shown what playing next to Kobe and Pau does for your efficiency. He draws more defensive attention than Bynum does and yet is putting up over 23ppg on about 65% shooting with ease, not to forget the fact that he's a much better passer, defender and rebounder.... The only thing Bynum does better than Dwight, is shoot FTs, which at 65ish%, isn't all that impressive.

The Lakers are dangerous, but they have a lot of significant new additions, they're learning a new offense and defense; and they're playing for a garbage coach. They'll be the most dangerous team out West by the time the playoffs start.

b@llhog24
11-05-2012, 01:30 AM

The better question is, who would want to hold Shaq's jockstrap? :confused:

Diabolical
11-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Kevin Durant is the most overrated player in my opinion. He is definitely one of the best players in the NBA, however, with his talent and help, he has not really accomplished anything yet. Until he gets MVP, wins a ring, and/or gets Finals MVP, etc... I don't think he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as LeBron James. He is a top 5 player but he is given way too much credit. He was on the same level as Dirk Nowitzki before Dirk was an MVP and Finals MVP yet no one gave him the same prestige Durant has. Both were/are great player, but Dirk was underrated while Durant is overrated.

NOTE: overrated does not mean "he sucks"... it simply means he is given more credit than his actual worth

LA_Raiders
11-05-2012, 02:43 AM
lol

Hawkeye15
11-05-2012, 02:54 AM
The man didn't play basketball for months. Can we give him a month to get back in basketball shape, and get his timing back?

SirSkyHook
11-05-2012, 03:15 AM
The man didn't play basketball for months. Can we give him a month to get back in basketball shape, and get his timing back?

Agreed lol. A good month or so he'll have his legs back under him and he'll be back in basketball shape.

JordansBulls
11-05-2012, 10:09 AM

And it is not like he sucks. He is averaging 23/10 and 2.5

The goods
11-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Considering that Howard is playing right now when everybody thought he wouldn't come back till January or December shows he isn't overrated plus the guy is balling right now and isn't even 100 percent, plus the second best center isn't even playing right now,and who knows when he's coming back.

thenaj17
11-05-2012, 10:25 AM

When's the last time Chandler dominated Dwight? Never. Chandler is massively overrated and completely inept offensively.

Andrew32
11-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Chandler is massively overrated and completely inept offensively.

That isn't true at all.
You obviously haven't watched Chandler with any sort of consistency.

He has some real offensive skill.

There is a reason he is so hyper efficient and it isn't only because he takes high percentage shots.

Dude has reasonably good footwork and court awareness and I have seen him pull off some pretty fancy moves in the post.

Not trying to hype him up offensively since he hasn't proved much in terms of creating for himself but to say he is completely inept is obviously a huge exaggeration.

mlisica19
11-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Give him some time in LA but yes hes overrated in general. I think every other center is underrated because of him too. Everyone wants to see a big center with big muscles be able to fly like superman. People forget how centers use to dominate the game, playing simple strong style. Brook Lopez is highly overlooked. So is Marc gasol.

basketfan4life
11-05-2012, 11:32 AM

I'd give the ball to Nash and accept anything he does.

Pluvious
11-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Howard may be underrated at this point. He does not quite have his conditioning or athleticism back yet but he's already opening things up for the Lakers much more than Bynum. He's not a "great" post up player (he is very good in the post though) but his ability to run and catch over the top passes is huge. It cannot be underrated.

His defense is the thing that is most off so far. But he's starting to have an impact. You can start to see where this Laker team will be eventually with the additions of him and Nash (if Nash is healthy).

Raph12
11-05-2012, 12:06 PM

Dwight dominated Chandler in both games against the Mavs in 2011 (24.5ppg-18rpg-2spg-2bpg on over 57% shooting from the floor); now that Chandler has better help defense (and double teams Dwight almost all the time in the post) they did a good job of defending him last season... This year Dwight will have Kobe, Pau and Nash with him, so expect him to go back to destroying Chandler 1v1 as per usual.

kbtwofour
11-05-2012, 12:09 PM
LMAO.

Tell me a better defensive big in the league? There is a reason why he has been the defensive player of the year multiple times. Nobody dominates on defense like him.

Let's see how overrated the 2nd best player in the league is at the end of the year. :facepalm:

KnicksorBust
11-05-2012, 12:14 PM
That isn't true at all.
You obviously haven't watched Chandler with any sort of consistency.

He has some real offensive skill.

There is a reason he is so hyper efficient and it isn't only because he takes high percentage shots.

Dude has reasonably good footwork and court awareness and I have seen him pull off some pretty fancy moves in the post.

Not trying to hype him up offensively since he hasn't proved much in terms of creating for himself but to say he is completely inept is obviously a huge exaggeration.

Not trying to bait you but this is a load of BS. I watch basically every minute of every Knicks game. Especially since I got DVR a few years ago. Chandler's bball IQ is through the roof but almost all his baskets are from offensive rebounds, PnR, cutting, or in transition. He does NOT post up. I can say this from watching the games and I can back this up from synergy which tracked a total of 14 post-ups the entire season last year.

KnicksorBust
11-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Dwight dominated Chandler in both games against the Mavs in 2011 (24.5ppg-18rpg-2spg-2bpg on over 57% shooting from the floor); now that Chandler has better help defense (and double teams Dwight almost all the time in the post) they did a good job of defending him last season... This year Dwight will have Kobe, Pau and Nash with him, so expect him to go back to destroying Chandler 1v1 as per usual.

Just curious, are you a Dwight fan or a Magic fan who will continue to root for him?