PDA

View Full Version : Hasheem Thabeet, Screw up of the decade?

Hellcrooner
11-03-2012, 03:42 PM
For the moment people have debated Kwame ( over Gasol, Parker, Joe Johnson, Arenas .....) vs Darko ( over Melo, Bosh) as the worst draft screw up of the last decade.

But with Harden Emergence, and others like Rubio ( if he comes back well from injury), Tyreke, Curry, derozan..... Could He replace them as the Mistake of the decade? ( specially Considering Grizz already had the position covered with Marc Gasol).

greg_ory_2005
11-03-2012, 03:44 PM
No

SugeKnight
11-03-2012, 03:46 PM
You had to throw Gasol in there at the end lol

mrblisterdundee
11-03-2012, 03:46 PM
If you watched the game last night against the Blazers, you'd see that there's still a little light at the end of the tunnel for Thabeet. He'll never be more than a role player, but even that's better than Brown has managed.

Blitzbolt
11-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Grizzlies are one of the worst draft day teams in the NBA Mayo over Love was another bad pick.

We do all our damage with trades and luck(Gasol,zbo,Gay trades).But yea that thabust pick still hurts.

Hellcrooner
11-03-2012, 03:49 PM
If you watched the game last night against the Blazers, you'd see that there's still a little light at the end of the tunnel for Thabeet. He'll never be more than a role player, but even that's better than Brown has managed.

Well Brown is indeed a role player.

JWO35
11-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Greg Oden

/thread

North Yorker
11-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Grizzlies are one of the worst draft day teams in the NBA Mayo over Love was another bad pick.

We do all our damage with trades and luck(Gasol,zbo,Gay trades).But yea that thabust pick still hurts.

They originally picked Love didnt they, before trading him for Mayo.

If they hung onto Love, they dont go after Z-Bo, and IF they managed to get the 2nd pick again the next season (probably not as likely) they prob take Harden to fill in their final hole on their roster.

Conley
Harden
Gay
Love
Gasol

Thats a ridic lineup.

Hellcrooner
11-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Greg Oden

/thread

Unlike Kwame, Thabeet, Darko, his problem ha sbeen injuries, every team woudl ahve picked him first so not really fair to thorw him under the same bus than the other ones.

Hawkeye15
11-03-2012, 03:58 PM

you took Love though, and then got raped in the trade.

netsgiantsyanks
11-03-2012, 03:59 PM
greg oden actually has skill, his knees are the real problem.

netsgiantsyanks
11-03-2012, 03:59 PM

didn't memphis draft love and then trade him for mayo? the fact that they picked love and then traded him makes it worse.

MrfadeawayJB
11-03-2012, 04:00 PM
As a grizz fan, i say yes

JasonJohnHorn
11-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Thabeet was the logical pick. Everybody knows that big's a hard to cme by and everybody takes gambles on bigs in the draft, especially ones as big as Thabeet.

Hindsight is twenty-twenty. As a rule, Thabeet was a good pick, as was Oden. Brown, not so much, beause he was fresh out of highschool.

But yeah... Thebeet coudl go down as a bigger mistake that Borwn or Darko depending on how he develops and how his draft class developes.

topdog
11-03-2012, 04:04 PM
He's not the "screw up of the decade" because that draft was not nearly as strong or deep as '03, nor even on par with a move like taking Joe Alexander in '08.

It was seemingly insane however. We know that there were purportedly issues with Rubio's camp and Memphis because of JCN's experience so, fair enough, he's out.

Evans was a point guard and they already had Connoly (who beat out Lowry) so you think about it and I guess you say he's out.

Then, there's OJ Mayo. He looked good his first year so you don't need to replace him either, but what team couldn't use a backup SG? (Of course, you could also trade the pick - Kahn wanted it)

Instead, they decided to trust another tall guy who didn't even know if he really wanted to play basketball. If he has to convince you, that's not a good sign.

StarvingKnick22
11-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Greg Oden.

netsgiantsyanks
11-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Greg Oden.

yes, because people can look into the future and see how their pick will pan out. :rolleyes:

Matrix3132
11-03-2012, 04:35 PM

I'd say he needs about 10 years as a role player to equal Kwame Brown, Kwame probably has more decent/good games per month than thabeet has had in his career.

topdog
11-03-2012, 04:40 PM
I'd say he needs about 10 years as a role player to equal Kwame Brown, Kwame probably has more decent/good games per month than thabeet has had in his career.

Thabeet's not even at the end of what would have been his rookie contract though. So, if you're saying it's too early, then I agree. If you're saying Thabeet won't be as good as Kwame, I would advise waiting and seeing how this year plays out.

Baller1
11-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Thabeet has looked solid... And with Perkins possibly being out, he could be starting soon.

LJEATON26
11-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Hes an interesting prospect that I don't think has really gotten a chance. 10 min per game in only 135 games isn't giving a player a chance, especially a center who usually takes 3 years to get accustomed to the nba game.

John Walls Era
11-03-2012, 08:41 PM
The weird thing was that EVERYONE called it. Every single draft article had him labelled as a bust, but Memphis still took him.

mzgrizz
11-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Oh puh leese !!! Oden>Thabeet
Hellcrooner always has to throw a Gasol in there somewhere.......and I like HC !

StarvingKnick22
11-03-2012, 08:58 PM
yes, because people can look into the future and see how their pick will pan out. :rolleyes:

KD was the leader of one of the best teams in NCAA history. If you were in the position you know who you would have picked.
My Second answer would me Marvin Williams over D Will, and Chris Paul.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-03-2012, 08:59 PM
The weird thing was that EVERYONE called it. Every single draft article had him labelled as a bust, but Memphis still took him.

This.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-03-2012, 09:01 PM
I do think he can be a solid 20-25 min C off the bench though.

Bulls_fan90
11-03-2012, 09:45 PM

That's not true at all. Kwame Brown is indeed a role player and will more than likely have a much better career that Thabeet.

topdog
11-04-2012, 02:35 AM
KD was the leader of one of the best teams in NCAA history. If you were in the position you know who you would have picked.
My Second answer would me Marvin Williams over D Will, and Chris Paul.

:confused:

Texas won a single game in the NCAA tournament while Ohio State went to the finals. Your point is going in the wrong direction.

kyubi256
11-04-2012, 03:31 AM
Hindsight is 20/20.

Thabeet was a great pick at the time because he had all the tools to be great. His big issue was if he could put it together or not.

Turns out he couldn't.

kyubi256
11-04-2012, 03:33 AM

Well he always had injury problems in high school if I remember correctly.

Bulls_fan90
11-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Hindsight is 20/20.

Thabeet was a great pick at the time because he had all the tools to be great. His big issue was if he could put it together or not.

Turns out he couldn't.

Actually if you go back and read articles about Thabeet, there were numerous suggestions he would bust. I even remember half of PSD saying the same thing.

MetroMan
11-04-2012, 07:59 AM
no

ewing
11-04-2012, 10:51 AM
For the moment people have debated Kwame ( over Gasol, Parker, Joe Johnson, Arenas .....) vs Darko ( over Melo, Bosh) as the worst draft screw up of the last decade.

But with Harden Emergence, and others like Rubio ( if he comes back well from injury), Tyreke, Curry, derozan..... Could He replace them as the Mistake of the decade? ( specially Considering Grizz already had the position covered with Marc Gasol).

Yes he is awful. He was drafted based on arm length alone.

LJEATON26
11-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Oh puh leese !!! Oden>Thabeet
Hellcrooner always has to throw a Gasol in there somewhere.......and I like HC !

Yet the simple fact remains. Thabeet is still in the league and Oden isn't.