PDA

View Full Version : Could Harden surpass Kobe this season?

mrblisterdundee
11-03-2012, 03:24 PM
I know it's only two or three games in for these guys - maybe saying too much too soon - but the results have been very telling so far.
It seems as if Harden's high level of performances isn't a fluke, although most of the time he won't go over 35. Neither is Kobe scoring 40 on an injured foot; he's the toughest player in the league. But it seems like we might be seeing a shift.
It could be because Harden has a bigger role on the Rockets than Kobe does on the Lakers, with their incredibly stacked roster. It could be because Kobe's injury prevented him from dropping 65 and winning against the Clippers.
Harden's had significantly less time to mesh with the Rockets than Kobe has with the new-look Lakers, but he's still just come out of the gate dominating. Could Harden surpass Kobe this season?

lakers4sho
11-03-2012, 03:26 PM
nope

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Question is could Harden surpass Wade to be the #2 best SG in the league.

Jenceman
11-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Kobe scoring a lot does not mean bad things for the Lakers at all. Look up the Laker's record when he scores over 40 points. Just do it. Go look. Come back to the thread.

mrblisterdundee
11-03-2012, 03:30 PM

You'll notice that I didn't say Harden would become the best shooting guard in the NBA. This thread is between him and Bryant.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-03-2012, 03:32 PM
First off, Bryant's better than Wade. Second off, Harden's going to be better than Wade - put it in the books.

We need to see Harden do it consistently now that he has become THE MAN on the Rockets. Hopefully these first 2 games haven't been a fluke because I really want to see the Bearded One succeed after OKC totally disrespected and gave him the boot.

IversonIsKrazy
11-03-2012, 03:33 PM
*COULD* he surpass nd be labelled best SG in league, yes. *WILL* he, we shall see this season!

Hellcrooner
11-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Not sure bout this.

He could ( and SHOULD) get "better" stats ( at least for those who only care bout scoring without taking Fg, Per, Eff , w.s in consideration).

But , be more determinant in getting wins.?

Thats a different animal.

shep33
11-03-2012, 03:35 PM
I dunno. Only 2 games. Dude is awesome, but we need to see him over a full 82

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-03-2012, 03:38 PM
The thing is that a guy like Wade will get too cautious and he at times has a passive and laissez-faire attitude, especially now that he has LeBron running the show. So Harden will easily surpass him at season's end.

As far as surpassing Kobe, the thing is that even though Kobe is aging and getting more injury-riddened, he is as stubborn as ever and he won't relinquish that best SG in the league position. I mean, when push comes to shove, Kobe will be pissed and drop 40+ plus on you. When the games get bigger, so does Kobe's performances. And if the Lakers are struggling against a team, Kobe will take it up a notch and dial into Mamba mode to keep the team in the game.

Kobe has 2 yrs left, he's already has a couple of players surpass him as best players in the league, but he'll be damned if he relinquishes that best SG position before he retires.

So as extraordinary as Harden will be this season, he will still not surpass Kobe.

R. Johnson#3
11-03-2012, 03:38 PM
I know it's only two or three games in for these guys - maybe saying too much too soon - but the results have been very telling so far.
It seems as if Harden's high level of performances isn't a fluke, although most of the time he won't go over 35. Neither is Kobe scoring 40 on an injured foot; he's the toughest player in the league. But it seems like we might be seeing a shift.
It could be because Harden has a bigger role on the Rockets than Kobe does on the Lakers, with their incredibly stacked roster. It could be because Kobe's injury prevented him from dropping 65 and winning against the Clippers.
Harden's had significantly less time to mesh with the Rockets than Kobe has with the new-look Lakers, but he's still just come out of the gate dominating. Could Harden surpass Kobe this season?

No, you obviously don't.

KnicksorBust
11-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Yeah he could but come playoff time Kobe and Wade will be the story again.

JasonJohnHorn
11-03-2012, 03:46 PM
I voted yes, which doesn't mean I think he WILL, just that he could. Kobe has shown that he's still got what it takes to play at an elite level over the first three games. I don't expect Kobe or Harden to play like this all season. I expect Kobe to finish with a higher average and Harden to finish with better percentages and both to have good rebounding and passing stats. But teams will also be preparing to focus on Harden they way they did for K-Mart, where as, when it comes to the Lakers, teams are going to have to pick their poison (Kobe, Howard, Gasol, Nash).

Andrew32
11-03-2012, 03:47 PM
The thing is that a guy like Wade will get too cautious and he at times has a passive and laissez-faire attitude, especially now that he has LeBron running the show.

Wade always plays hard on both ends of the court.
He will be out there guarding Melo and trash talking him and the next minute verbally rallying his teammates.
He plays with energy and passion.

Not sure why you'd call him passive.

He cares about doing what is best for his team and if that mean scoring or deferring on offense that is what he will do.
That doesn't make him passive.

The thing is that even though Kobe is aging and getting more injury-riddened, he is as stubborn as ever and he won't relinquish that best SG in the league position.
Kobe wasn't the best SG in the league last year (Wade) and he isn't the best SG in the league this year so far (Harden).

Kobe has 2 yrs left, he's already has a couple of players surpass him as best players in the league, but he'll be damned if he relinquishes that best SG position before he retires.
You're acting like Kobe has been the best player/SG every year of his career.
He hasn't been.

Wade has been the best SG from 2009-2012 and has a strong argument for 05 and 06 also.

Time will tell who the Top 3 SG's will be.
It could be Harden / Wade / Kobe or Wade / Kobe / Harden or other orders.

Could Harden surpass Kobe this year...?
Yes its possible but its way 2 early to be making those sort of predictions especially with a semi-unproven guy like Harden.

Greedy22
11-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Could he? Absolutely, but I don't see it happening. He's definitely making me eat crow though for saure, I thought he'd struggle as the man to be honest. So far he's made he look like an idiot lol. OKC messed up trading this guy though.

More-Than-Most
11-03-2012, 03:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp5ekMlQvi4

**** just got real and this will not end well.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Wade always plays hard on both ends of the court.
He will be out there guarding Melo and trash talking him and the next minute verbally rallying his teammates.
He plays with energy and passion.

Not sure why you'd call him passive.

He cares about doing what is best for his team and if that mean scoring or deferring on offense that is what he will do.
That doesn't make him passive.

Kobe wasn't the best SG in the league last year (Wade) and he isn't the best SG in the league this year so far (Harden).

You're acting like Kobe has been the best player/SG every year of his career.
He hasn't been.

Wade has been the best SG from 2009-2012 and has a strong argument for 05 and 06 also.

Time will tell who the Top 3 SG's will be.
It could be Harden / Wade / Kobe or Wade / Kobe / Harden or other orders.

Could Harden surpass Kobe this year...?
Yes its possible but its way 2 early to be making those sort of predictions especially with a semi-unproven guy like Harden.

"Last edited by Andrew32"...

That's when you know when someone spends a lot of time and mental energy trying to discredit another person.

85BearsDefense
11-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Could he... sure. Will he, no. It's way to early to tell. But I don't think anyone passes the Mamba.

Daunter
11-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Yes if he can win 5 rings this season

jerellh528
11-03-2012, 04:16 PM
He would have to pass Dwade first, and i dont see that happening this year.

b@llhog24
11-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Not sure bout this.

He could ( and SHOULD) get "better" stats ( at least for those who only care bout scoring without taking Fg, Per, Eff , w.s in consideration).

Isn't win shares basically the amount of wins a player is worth?

Matrix3132
11-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Yeah he could but come playoff time Shumpert will be the story.

Fixed

Baller1
11-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I argued he passed him last year... So yeah, he will this year.

Supreme LA
11-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Not sure if he'll be better than Kobe but he's already passed Wade for sure

DETFAN69
11-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Anything is possible

Andrew32
11-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Not sure if he'll be better than Kobe but he's already passed Wade for sure
:facepalm:

Wade was better then Kobe last season and could easily be better again this season.

Dade County
11-03-2012, 05:02 PM

Wade is # 1 insane Laker fanatic/Kobe Loyalist...

And harden might put up better numbers, but h still want surpass kobe, just because he had 1 good season (if he has a good season).

goku
11-03-2012, 05:25 PM
in terms of stats yes he could but next year i could see harden becoming the #2 Sg in the league if wade continues to breakdown with injuries and harden improves maybe even the best SG in about 2 yrs

GOON MUSIC
11-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Not sure bout this.

^^^^^^^^^

naps
11-03-2012, 05:31 PM
May be. In the end of regular season he'll be the 2nd best shooting guard in the league behind but Kobe will probably take that 2nd spot back in the playoffs.

Longhornfan1234
11-03-2012, 05:34 PM
It's little too early to say he's better than Kobe, but Harden is better than Wade.

BKLYNpigeon
11-03-2012, 05:35 PM
who cares. kobe is old. harden is young. whats the comparison?

harden wont have 5 rings, thats for sure.

SportsFanatic10
11-03-2012, 05:38 PM
his numbers might be better then wade and kobe's or at least be better in volume since hes the goto guy on his team now. he'll still only end the season as the number 3 shooting guard imo though, the other 2 are on contenders and are likely to play less minutes and play more of a team game and take a back seat sometimes(or at least wade will) since they both have plenty of other scoring options on their teams. and there is no way harden plays at this rate all season long, he's just been lights out this year so far, but it is still only 2 games.

Diabolical
11-03-2012, 05:38 PM

The answer to both is yes. However, I wouldn't bet on it.

Diabolical
11-03-2012, 05:40 PM
We need to see Harden do it consistently now that he has become THE MAN on the Rockets. Hopefully these first 2 games haven't been a fluke because I really want to see the Bearded One succeed after OKC totally disrespected and gave him the boot.

Then you do agree Harden could surpass Kobe this season... assuming Harden "consistently" performs on an elite level.

How did you end up voting?

Supreme LA
11-03-2012, 05:40 PM

Wade was better then Kobe last season and could easily be better again this season.

:facepalm: Says you. We all know your opinions on Kobe already. Get a life dude.

Diabolical
11-03-2012, 05:41 PM
*COULD* he surpass nd be labelled best SG in league, yes. *WILL* he, we shall see this season!

Agreed.

Diabolical
11-03-2012, 05:42 PM
I dunno. Only 2 games. Dude is awesome, but we need to see him over a full 82

So assuming he performs on an elite level, he could?

Diabolical
11-03-2012, 05:47 PM
The thing is that a guy like Wade will get too cautious and he at times has a passive and laissez-faire attitude, especially now that he has LeBron running the show. So Harden will easily surpass him at season's end.

As far as surpassing Kobe, the thing is that even though Kobe is aging and getting more injury-riddened, he is as stubborn as ever and he won't relinquish that best SG in the league position. I mean, when push comes to shove, Kobe will be pissed and drop 40+ plus on you. When the games get bigger, so does Kobe's performances. And if the Lakers are struggling against a team, Kobe will take it up a notch and dial into Mamba mode to keep the team in the game.

So as extraordinary as Harden will be this season, he will still not surpass Kobe.

Kobe, in my opinion, is better than Harden and probably will be this year and next year due to his skill-set and experience. Having said that, what you just wrote is complete subjective rhetoric of a devote homer. You offer no objective data and exalt Kobe Bryant into some sort of super hero.

Diabolical
11-03-2012, 05:50 PM
He would have to pass Dwade first, and i dont see that happening this year.

I think you misread the question; It's not, "Will Harden surpass Kobe this season?" it's, "Could Harden surpass Kobe this season?"

Not to mention, why do you feel the need to even bring up Wade? Are you that insecure you need to let it be known that you think Kobe is still better than Wade? Who cares about that? We are talking about Kobe and Harden.

Diabolical
11-03-2012, 05:54 PM

If Kevin Love can't win four rings this season, is Tim Duncan still a better PF?

SportsFanatic10
11-03-2012, 06:00 PM

worst post in this thread...and thats really saying something considering longhornfan posted in here, and laker homers have been posting a bunch of bs

seikou8
11-03-2012, 06:02 PM
people still hanging on to kobe 5 rings people that was the past it has nothing to with right now and its been two games ill wait til have bigger size sample he is stud but its two games

Avenged
11-03-2012, 06:03 PM
He could but at the rate he's going, why single out Kobe? Heck, Harden could be the best player in the league going by the sample size.

Jarvo
11-03-2012, 06:12 PM
:laugh: ***** you just went full ******.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-03-2012, 06:13 PM
He could but at the rate he's going, why single out Kobe? Heck, Harden could be the best player in the league going by the sample size.

Kobe is the gold standard of Shooting Guards in today's league.

(All-time MJ of course).

YoungOne
11-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Kobe scoring a lot does not mean bad things for the Lakers at all. Look up the Laker's record when he scores over 40 points. Just do it. Go look. Come back to the thread.

the problem is only when he tries to get 40 and fails

mightybosstone
11-03-2012, 06:20 PM
As far as surpassing Kobe, the thing is that even though Kobe is aging and getting more injury-riddened, he is as stubborn as ever and he won't relinquish that best SG in the league position.

Wait... I'm super confused. Since when is Kobe a better player than Dwyane Wade? Wade has been the better player for a few years now.

SportsFanatic10
11-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Wait... I'm super confused. Since when is Kobe a better player than Dwyane Wade? Wade has been the better player for a few years now.

at least someone sees it :clap:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Not sure bout this.

Well said.

James Harden is the baddest dude lacin up his sneakers right now.

Baller1
11-03-2012, 06:48 PM

And it could be argued that Kobe was the third best shooting guard in the league last year.

KnicksorBust
11-03-2012, 06:57 PM
And it could be argued that Kobe was the third best shooting guard in the league last year.

My computer is shaking. what is this?!? oh no the lakers fans are coming!!

kyubi256
11-03-2012, 06:58 PM
depends on what you mean by surpass? Kobe will beat him in PPG IMO by season's end. But Harden might have been stats overall and higher efficiency.

Baller1
11-03-2012, 07:01 PM
My computer is shaking. what is this?!? oh no the lakers fans are coming!!

Haha, true... But I have reason to make such a claim, so I'm not worried.

Greedy22
11-03-2012, 07:10 PM
If Kevin Love can't win four rings this season, is Tim Duncan still a better PF?

I literally laughed out loud.

BSardogan
11-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Better question: can Kobe keep up with Harden this season? And yes, I am dead serious about that.

Harden will be the one and only man in Houston. He's been playing like LeBron-light in the last 2 games, he's been doing everything and there is not a single player on the Rockets that's not happy with his play thus far. Averaging 41 points a game (which he, of course, won't be able to hold uo for long) and all of the bizarre advanced stats he put up just show that he is MORE than capable of leading a team's offense.
Another thing is that those two games he played so far were his First two games with the Rockets. Just imagine him getting to know the other guys better, knowing their strenghts/weaknesses and have them run plays for him.

Kobe on the other hand is going to have to share the rock, it's not like he'll be able to jack 25 shots every single night and get away with it for an entire season anymore, and I think that transition will be a lot harder to make for Kobe than for Harden.
Along with his age, which is going to result in a lot more injuries than he even had before, and the fact that Mike Brown is a complete moron, I think Kobe won't be putting up the stats that we're used of seeing from him. At least not without upsetting Dwight (which would be the very worst case scenario for the Lakers)

Matter.
11-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Small Sample Size, But people are not looking at the big picture, Harden will be focused from now on, and his production will drop, unlike Kobe where the team chooses do we focus Howard,Kobe,Gasol or Nash? Kobe Bryant will still be better then Harden but Harden can make a case for 2nd.

TheSource
11-03-2012, 07:19 PM
He's going to end up the greatest of all time and win multiple rings within the next few seasons.

beliges
11-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Small Sample Size, But people are not looking at the big picture, Harden will be focused from now on, and his production will drop, unlike Kobe where the team chooses do we focus Howard,Kobe,Gasol or Nash? Kobe Bryant will still be better then Harden but Harden can make a case for 2nd.

Harden looks like he's a legit 1st or 2nd option. He's gonna make a strong push for 2nd team all.NBA this year. But we all know Kobe will be 1st team once again. The man is greatness defined. Sorry but Wade is simply not on kobes level.

b@llhog24
11-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Harden looks like he's a legit 1st or 2nd option. He's gonna make a strong push for 2nd team all.NBA this year. But we all know Kobe will be 1st team once again. The man is greatness defined. Sorry but Wade is simply not on kobes level.

Not last year and probably not this year either. This ain't a lifetime achievement award pops.

jericho
11-03-2012, 07:30 PM
My computer is shaking. what is this?!? oh no the kobe fans are coming!!

sorry had to fix that for you lol

Bruno
11-03-2012, 07:32 PM
if Houston makes the playoffs will Harden be a MVP candidate?

b@llhog24
11-03-2012, 07:39 PM

Sure thing, he'd be responsible or at least credited for a monumental turnaround in his teams record from a slightly above .500 club which would have been about 42 game to an 8 game difference (50 wins has been the norm in the West the last few seasons), the resurgence of the Houston Franchise/Market, and the whole "he came of the bench" thing makes for a great underdog story. Doubt he wins it though.

Kashmir13579
11-03-2012, 07:40 PM
He already has in my opinion.

Hardaway Here
11-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Wade is already considered #1 SG in the league by many people around the league and ESPN ranked him #1 already these Laker fans just can't accept that and it's sad. So rather or not Harden will pass Kobe as #2 is questionable but possible

kobebabe
11-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Nope!!!

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Wade is already considered #1 SG in the league by many people around the league and ESPN ranked him #1 already these Laker fans just can't accept that and it's sad. So rather or not Harden will pass Kobe as #2 is questionable but possible

http://www.nba.com/news/2012-13-gm-survey/index.html

Who is the best shooting guard in the NBA?
1. Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers -- 66.7%
2. Dwyane Wade, Miami -- 23.3%
Also receiving votes: Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City; Manu Ginobili, San Antonio; James Harden, Oklahoma City
Last year: Kobe Bryant -- 55.6%

dolfan720
11-03-2012, 08:39 PM
yes.

Hardaway Here
11-03-2012, 09:07 PM

not what they said on open court always a difference on opinion

SportsFanatic10
11-03-2012, 09:24 PM
lol how did durant get a vote at sg.

Baller1
11-03-2012, 09:49 PM

Using this is an absolute joke, so try again.

Greedy22
11-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Using this is an absolute joke, so try again.

His response fit that dudes statement about people around the league.

Greedy22
11-03-2012, 09:57 PM
lol how did durant get a vote at sg.

:laugh2:

I was wondering this as well...Lebron better start getting votes at positions 1-4 now.

AWC713
11-03-2012, 10:07 PM
in name value, no chance.

in actually game efficiency...yes

blastmasta26
11-03-2012, 10:12 PM
With the bias in this thread, I thought I traveled back in time a few years and Kobe was still the best SG in the league. But he's not, Wade is.

On to the OP...I can see Harden surpassing Kobe in the regular season, but mostly because of Kobe's age catching up to him. I believe Harden will still put up good numbers, but his current status will begin to waver once defenses focus on him more.

beliges
11-03-2012, 10:23 PM

Not last year and probably not this year either. This ain't a lifetime achievement award pops.

Then why would you bring,up Wade? His major achievement came in 06. He was surpassed by westbrook last season according"to most people around the league."

XerxestheGreat
11-03-2012, 10:36 PM
It's ridiculous to compare Kobe on his 17th season to a youngster like Harden...not sure if you watched the game but Kobe was our only offense. Dwight was in foul trouble, Nash is injured, and Pau was softer than peach fuzz. Of course Harden can score more he is younger, faster, at the beginning of a fat contract compared to a guy two years away from retirement.
For Kobe to be so late in his career and still perform the way he does makes him incomparable to anybody save Steve Nash.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-03-2012, 10:40 PM
His response fit that dudes statement about people around the league.

Apparently anything outside of the biased LeBron, Wade and Heat sucking and dickriding BSPN is a joke. :rolleyes:

Greedy22
11-03-2012, 10:54 PM
It's ridiculous to compare Kobe on his 17th season to a youngster like Harden...not sure if you watched the game but Kobe was our only offense. Dwight was in foul trouble, Nash is injured, and Pau was softer than peach fuzz. Of course Harden can score more he is younger, faster, at the beginning of a fat contract compared to a guy two years away from retirement.
For Kobe to be so late in his career and still perform the way he does makes him incomparable to anybody save Steve Nash.

:laugh:

Apparently anything outside of the biased LeBron, Wade and Heat sucking and dickriding BSPN is a joke. :rolleyes:

:laugh2:
Lol I suppose so.

dh144498
11-03-2012, 11:33 PM
This is the trend I notice in the forum:

Kobe wins an award/honor - "based on reputation, lifetime achievement award."
everyone else who wins it - "totally deserving as long as Kobe doesn't get it."

JNoel
11-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Hardens already better than Kobe :laugh2:

rockbottom2010
11-03-2012, 11:46 PM
kobes attributes is only scoring and being clutch....as for harden...hes an all around player...hes can score, pass, rebound, steal, and defend...it won't be this year....he will be top notch in a year or 2...and once he's at his prime...hes going to be scary

AIRMAR72
11-04-2012, 12:17 AM
LIKE bron and wade, james harden enter the NBA a better player compare to kobe HARDEN has a better IQ and shooting ability better finisher in the paint kobe have a better overall game(post moves) model from the BLUE PRINT (Micheal Jordan) but WATERED DOWN plus kobe misses too many shots over his privilage career and ALWAYS have the best players at their position playing with him advantage goes to harden as far surpassing tobe(kobe)

dh144498
11-04-2012, 12:24 AM
LIKE bron and wade, james harden enter the NBA a better player compare to kobe HARDEN has a better IQ and shooting ability better finisher in the paint kobe have a better overall game(post moves) model from the BLUE PRINT (Micheal Jordan) but WATERED DOWN plus kobe misses too many shots over his privilage career and ALWAYS have the best players at their position playing with him advantage goes to harden as far surpassing tobe(kobe)

lpdunks8
11-04-2012, 01:28 AM

Who do you think has better sentence structure; Bryant or Harden?

Supreme LA
11-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Hardens already better than Wade :laugh2:

Fixed :eyebrow:

nickdymez
11-04-2012, 01:32 AM
Yea sure, why not......

Hardaway Here
11-04-2012, 01:33 AM
Fixed :eyebrow:

I only see delusional Laker fans edit other peoples comments to have it fit their views just sad

Greedy22
11-04-2012, 01:35 AM
I only see delusional Laker fans edit other peoples comments to have it fit their views just sad

All people do it lol.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-04-2012, 01:36 AM

Actually, Andrew32 is notorious for doing that. Why don't you call him out for that?

Oh yes, that's right, you won't, because he's one of you Kobe haters. :clap:

Hardaway Here
11-04-2012, 02:18 AM
Actually, Andrew32 is notorious for doing that. Why don't you call him out for that?

Oh yes, that's right, you won't, because he's one of you Kobe haters. :clap:

I don't hate Kobe at all I think he is a great player I just don't like arrogant biased fans. As far as that Andrew guy goes I see him post stats more than anything else so guess I nvr noticed

waveycrockett
11-04-2012, 02:26 AM
James Harden is a beast. He will passed Kobe this season because Dwight will and that crappy princeton offense.

sunsfan88
11-04-2012, 02:36 AM

If Phoenix makes the playoffs, will Dragic be a MVP candidate?

b@llhog24
11-04-2012, 02:52 AM
Then why would you bring,up Wade?

Except I didn't.

His major achievement came in 06.

Who cares if it was his major achievement. Doesn't mean he doesn't have other achievements to go for his career.

He was surpassed by westbrook last season according"to most people around the league."

It's debatable in the sense that over the course of 82 games Westbrook's durability can make him more valuable than Wade because he gets injured a lot.

PLAYERS FAN
11-04-2012, 03:37 AM
James Harden is better than Durant! He's make his team mates better. Durant and Westbrook don't.

Andrew32
11-04-2012, 06:55 AM
This is the trend I notice in the forum:

Kobe wins an award/honor - "based on reputation, lifetime achievement award."
everyone else who wins it - "totally deserving as long as Kobe doesn't get it."

The league makes money by building up the resumes of popular players.
Many people have biases especially people in the media who vote for many of these so called awards.

The fact is just because someone wins MVP does not mean they are the best player in the league.
Just because a player gets 1st team All-NBA does not mean he is the best player at his position.
Just because a player gets on the All-D team does not mean he is a good defender.

Kobe is not the only one who has received awards he has not deserved.
There are countless other players who have received one or multiple awards they shouldn't have gotten.

Kobe is just more popular then them so its discussed more.

Kobe has been a flat out terrible defender since 2010 so yeah its absolutely ridiculous that he has gotten on any All-D teams since then.

Kobe was pretty bad in the 2012 regular season and his individual impact and value probably wouldn't have even put him in the Top 10 and yet he was Top 4 in MVP voting... that was pretty fuvking absurd.

The media is biased and often superficial in the way they judge players.
Some treat it like a popularity contest or just give the award to the guy who is more decorated career wise.
Some are like casual fans who judge based on what ESPN says or on highlight plays or simply on who they like the most.

So really... most "awards" especially media based ones like MVP/All-Teams are close to worthless in the eyes of a true basketball head.

DanG
11-04-2012, 07:20 AM
No. I think he'll slow down soon. He is #3 for sure.

TheIlladelph16
11-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Its certainly possible. Kobe is aging pretty quickly with all the miles he has on his legs and is an "old" 34. Harden finally has the freedom to run a team as the man and should be able to keep up a high level of play.

I don't see it happening though. Kobe will play at a high level until he retires, so I think he will get the benefit of the doubt until he retires in 2 seasons.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-04-2012, 01:01 PM
James Harden is a beast. He will passed Kobe this season because Dwight will and that crappy princeton offense.

Kobe coming off a bad foot, and in his 3 games, he's shooting 61% from the field and averaging 31 PPG with games of 22, 30 and 40. So I think in any offense, Kobe will pretty much flourish because he is one of if not the best offensive maestro of this game.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-04-2012, 01:02 PM
The league makes money by building up the resumes of popular players.
Many people have biases especially people in the media who vote for many of these so called awards.

The fact is just because someone wins MVP does not mean they are the best player in the league.
Just because a player gets 1st team All-NBA does not mean he is the best player at his position.
Just because a player gets on the All-D team does not mean he is a good defender.

Kobe is not the only one who has received awards he has not deserved.
There are countless other players who have received one or multiple awards they shouldn't have gotten.

Kobe is just more popular then them so its discussed more.

Kobe has been a flat out terrible defender since 2010 so yeah its absolutely ridiculous that he has gotten on any All-D teams since then.

Kobe was pretty bad in the 2012 regular season and his individual impact and value probably wouldn't have even put him in the Top 10 and yet he was Top 4 in MVP voting... that was pretty fuvking absurd.

The media is biased and often superficial in the way they judge players.
Some treat it like a popularity contest or just give the award to the guy who is more decorated career wise.
Some are like casual fans who judge based on what ESPN says or on highlight plays or simply on who they like the most.

So really... most "awards" especially media based ones like MVP/All-Teams are close to worthless in the eyes of a true basketball head.

What's with this new bolding trend to try to advertise the fact that you don't hate Kobe (but in actuality you do).

Can't fool us kiddo.

el hidalgo
11-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Kobe coming off a bad foot, and in his 3 games, he's shooting 61% from the field and averaging 31 PPG with games of 22, 30 and 40. So I think in any offense, Kobe will pretty much flourish because he is one of if not the best offensive maestro of this game.

and whats their record?