PDA

View Full Version : Marc Stein Gives LeBron 9 (.7)

mrblisterdundee
11-03-2012, 03:03 PM
I thought this was an interesting piece about not overreacting after one season of complete and utter dominance by LeBron James (http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-121102-04/weekend-dime-why-lebron-james-not-perfect-10). It's especially fitting after James and the Heat lost to the Knicks, a team some thought the Heat would easily dominate.
I believe James will continue his dominance over multiple seasons, a la Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. I also believe that if he wins five or six championships - at least - that he'll end up the greatest of all time when he retires.
His piece brings up another important point: #NBARank needs to be more flexible, going down to tenths of a point in the scores judges are allowed to give.

JasonJohnHorn
11-03-2012, 03:11 PM
I think James has been dominating the league for more than just one season. He's been putting up the best all-around numbers in the game since 05. I don't think it's overreacting at all. James is already one of the best players to ever step foot on the hardwood, and this is coming from a Heat-hater.

mrblisterdundee
11-03-2012, 03:16 PM
I think James has been dominating the league for more than just one season. He's been putting up the best all-around numbers in the game since 05. I don't think it's overreacting at all. James is already one of the best players to ever step foot on the hardwood, and this is coming from a Heat-hater.

But when he's talking about a 10 ranking, he's talking about complete and utter dominance. That includes winning a championship.

JasonJohnHorn
11-03-2012, 03:28 PM
But when he's talking about a 10 ranking, he's talking about complete and utter dominance. That includes winning a championship.

I understand that, but for me, chapionships are as much about what situation you are in as is it about how good you are.

Kobe, for example, has been blessed with several great situations. First with Shaq, then with Paul and Bynum, now with Howard and Nash. Where as Duncan... well, he came in with Robinson, but he's been playing on his own now for a few years and he's only got one less ring that Kobe. Wilt, likewise, dominated the league, but his teammates were never as good as Russell's.

LBJ got drafted by the worst team in the league. He spent a long time helping them become contenders. Mo-Will was the only All-Star he played with, and he made the team as a reserve after a couple other players got injured, but he dominated the league in Cleveland. Nobody's numbers touched LBJs. He can't be blamed for not winning it all. Paul Pierce had better teammates. Kobe had better teammates. What is LBJ supposed to do? He can't play all five positions on the floor at once?

James, to me, has been dominating since 05.

I understand what you are saying, or rather, what he is saying, but in my book, James has left if out on the floor every night night since 05 and nobody has been performing at a higher level than him (though some have performed at as high a level).

mrblisterdundee
11-03-2012, 03:36 PM
I understand that, but for me, chapionships are as much about what situation you are in as is it about how good you are.

Kobe, for example, has been blessed with several great situations. First with Shaq, then with Paul and Bynum, now with Howard and Nash. Where as Duncan... well, he came in with Robinson, but he's been playing on his own now for a few years and he's only got one less ring that Kobe. Wilt, likewise, dominated the league, but his teammates were never as good as Russell's.

LBJ got drafted by the worst team in the league. He spent a long time helping them become contenders. Mo-Will was the only All-Star he played with, and he made the team as a reserve after a couple other players got injured, but he dominated the league in Cleveland. Nobody's numbers touched LBJs. He can't be blamed for not winning it all. Paul Pierce had better teammates. Kobe had better teammates. What is LBJ supposed to do? He can't play all five positions on the floor at once?

James, to me, has been dominating since 05.

I understand what you are saying, or rather, what he is saying, but in my book, James has left if out on the floor every night night since 05 and nobody has been performing at a higher level than him (though some have performed at as high a level).

Good point. LeBron James probably deserves more credit for winning so much with the Cavaliers. By that same logic, though, Kobe Bryant should have won the regular season MVP award in 2005-06 instead of Steve Nash.

KnicksorBust
11-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Once LeBron added the 3pt shot to his arsenal... he became a 10. He literally does it all.

Greedy22
11-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Uhh what? lol, he's been dominating quite easily since 08-09 and one could even argue since 07-08, last year I believe we saw him enter his prime though.

Greedy22
11-03-2012, 04:01 PM

Championships are a team effort though, Stein is off on that 1.

LakersSaintsLSU
11-03-2012, 04:12 PM
I thought this was an interesting piece about not overreacting after one season of complete and utter dominance by LeBron James (http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-121102-04/weekend-dime-why-lebron-james-not-perfect-10). It's especially fitting after James and the Heat lost to the Knicks, a team some thought the Heat would easily dominate.
I believe James will continue his dominance over multiple seasons, a la Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. I also believe that if he wins five or six championships - at least - that he'll end up the greatest of all time when he retires.
His piece brings up another important point: #NBARank needs to be more flexible, going down to tenths of a point in the scores judges are allowed to give.

GOAT? gtfo if kobe cant get that love no way in hell lebron does...PSD where ESPN controls your mind smh

JasonJohnHorn
11-03-2012, 04:23 PM
GOAT? gtfo if kobe cant get that love no way in hell lebron does...PSD where ESPN controls your mind smh

Kobe is an amazing player. But he's never been as good a rebounder as James, and has never been as good a passer, and he's not as good a defender, and while he does score more than James, he also does it with a lower FG%. James does everything Kobe does and does it better.

Kobe is Jordan Jr. He did everything Jordan did, but Jordan did it better. So obviously Kobe will never be in the discussion for GOAT, because every argument that can be made for Kobe can be made for Jordan being ahead of Kobe.

LBJ though is different. He rebounds and passes as well as Jordan, and is as good on defence as Jordan. I still sya Jordan is better, but as we see more and more of LBJ he may prove that he's in the conversation as the GOAT. Kobe's best season are behind him, and there is no argument for Kobe being the GOAT. There just isn't. He will always rank behind Jordan.

topdog
11-03-2012, 04:46 PM
I agree with Stein. I want to see sustained excellence in the form of titles. All 104 analysts giving him a "10" is like saying he doesn't have anything to work on or to improve upon. I don't know about all of you, but I want and need to see more before I rate Lebron as "perfect."

Stein also points to the fact that maybe people were too harsh on Lebron after the Dallas championship loss. Expectations are high for Lebron, but people expect him to challenge for GOAT and that doesn't happen with just one title (are more forthcoming? almost certainly). Finally, I agree with Stein that the rankings should have the ability to go by "0.5" simply to differentiate between a top 5 player and the top player.

Dade County
11-03-2012, 05:12 PM

Did anyone really watch this game... It was a Mercy game... Everyone knows it in the media, but some fans are still blind and think the League is not rigged ( I am not saying that you mrblisterdundee, don't no or do know that the league is rigged or not).

But everyone that watch the game has to know this... The world can't be that blind!

naps
11-03-2012, 05:27 PM
One season of dominance? LOL. He's been dominating the league since 2005-06.

ThuglifeJ
11-03-2012, 05:35 PM
1. How does Lebron winning 5 more championships, after leaving his team to join forces with 2 other top players (and now an insanely stacked supporting cast), make him the GOAT. How? Where is the Logic in that when Jordan did it with his own franchise and had one of the most perfect legacies ever in sports. Lebron CANT top Jordan's legacy (which determines who's the GOAT) after leaving Cleveland it's as simple as that. The only way he can become GOAT now is if he doe's something out of this world. Like you know hits some more gamewinners ( he lacks hard in this), has a season where he averages 36-40 points.

I just dont get people's logic to how Lebron still has a shot at being GOAT, Jordan's legacy is untoppable unless something unreal happens.

2. Who the **** is this heat fan saying that the only reason they lost was because the league was rigged. There wasnt an invisible tunnel that was carrying the balls shot by the Knicks into the hoop every time they shot a 3. shush

3. Whoever says Lebron does everything Kobe does but better is wrong. Lebron is no where near fluent on offense as Kobe or Bron or many other past scorers. Even James Harden has a better half court offensive game than Lebron and I hate that guy. James doesnt necessarily need that perfected Offensive game with footwork/post game but he definently doesn't do everything BETTER than Kobe (at least a prime Kobe). He's the best player today but he can't be better than Jordan.

ESPECIALLY SINCE HE IS **** OUTA LUCK ONCE HIS ATHLETICISM DIES DOWN IN 5 YEARS. You guys fail to see this but I'll be there to watch the misery of Lebron fans when his athleticism goes away and his knees start wearing down.

ThuglifeJ
11-03-2012, 05:38 PM
I hate to sound like Jordansbulls but if Vince and Tmac can both drop off dramtically in there game after there athleticism died out (both were as atheltic as Lebron) then there is no reason the same thing cant happen to Lebron if not worse. Which if you do some research seems to always happen around the age 32

RLundi
11-03-2012, 06:15 PM
I don't have a problem with the ranking or score.

mrblisterdundee
11-05-2012, 01:26 AM

My calling LeBron James the greatest of all time is dependent on him winning more championships than Kobe currently has. That will go along with at least four or five MVP awards compared to Kobe's one. Trust me; he'll earn the right to be called better than Kobe all-time.