PDA

View Full Version : Denver and George Karl

JasonJohnHorn
11-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Outside of Greg Popovich, George Karl is the longest tenrued coach in the NBA right now. This is his ninth season with the Denver Nuggets and during his tenure he has had some VERY talented teams. In that time however, he's only gotten out of the first round once. Some people would suggest that, despite how much talent he had on his roster, he was competing in a very deep western conference and at the end of the day he has essentially done as well as can be expected with the rosters he's had. Other might suggest that he could have done more.

Since the Melo trade, Denver has put together a good young team with some talented player, and though deep, they do not have a franchise player. This could be seen as the start of a new era for Denver fans, so expectations might not be so high this season, but at the same time, with a tenure as long as Karl has had, results are to be expected. So my question is this: If George Karl doesn't make a deep playoff run this season and get some serious results out of this roster, will it be time for Denver to move on and find a new coach? Or does Karl deserve some more time with this roster even if he suffers another first round exit?

KnicksorBust
11-03-2012, 02:49 PM
I think the Nuggets are grossly overrated and George Karl should only be fired if he loses the players or they get worse as the season goes on. He should be judged by traditional coaching standards with this group.

JasonJohnHorn
11-03-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm thinking the Lakers should offer, Ron Artest, Mike Brown and a first round pick for George Karl right about now though, seriously ;-) lol

Yabaecip
11-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Maybe I'm just impatient, but we have been experiencing enough playoff losses. We need to at least make it to the second round. I don't think he should be fired if we don't make it, but it needs to be done.

JEDean89
11-03-2012, 03:10 PM
GK hides behind his regular season wins, he is not a great coach. he hasn't won **** in this league, only been to the finals once. he is good at player development and that's it. i'd give him one more season, if it doesn't look good in the playoffs, he's got to go. seriously anyone who has watched GK coach knows he is too stubborn to win. he would rather lose his way (run and gun small ball) than win the traditional way. usually i find this approach to fail.

JasonJohnHorn
11-03-2012, 03:14 PM
anyone who has watched GK coach knows he is too stubborn to win. he would rather lose his way (run and gun small ball) than win the traditional way. usually i find this approach to fail.

Some people see this as the reason team USA didn't even medal in the worlds when Karl coached (though Karl had perhaps the worst roster team USA roster since the Dream Team). Karl did, after all, bench his best player (Paul Pierce) for the final game.

I think George Karl is a great coach though. I think he should be given a little time with this roster, and if he had had a roster like LAL's, he'd be winning for sure.

tp13baby
11-03-2012, 03:37 PM
I think they are young. I do think they can finish 3-6. I just hate the lineups Karl has. For example in the Philly game when we were 5 down at one point we had a lineup of Kosta, Brewer, Fournier, Miller, Lawson. That lineup you need your best players in or scorers. Sadly our best shooter doesn't touch the floor (Hamilton). Ty Lawson is playing awful to start the season. McGee isn't there offensively. Karl needs better lineups, go with the hot hand, because Denver lacks two things extremely bad. A player that can stroke night in and out, and a low post offensive presence. And if players don't step up and fill those roles Denver is a first round exit.

Chronz
11-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Very talented? Lmfao wat?

topdog
11-03-2012, 04:52 PM
They are a regular season team i.e. they can throw more starter bodies at you and weather more injuries without missing a beat. When it comes to the playoffs, rotations shrink to 8 players and most West playoff teams' top 8 (playing more minutes than they would in an 82 game season) can beat Denvers top 8. It's not youth, it's overall talent.

Go_NUGGETS
11-03-2012, 05:35 PM
This should be his last season if we dont do something more than 1st and 2nd round.

SportsFanatic10
11-03-2012, 06:07 PM
They are a regular season team i.e. they can throw more starter bodies at you and weather more injuries without missing a beat. When it comes to the playoffs, rotations shrink to 8 players and most West playoff teams' top 8 (playing more minutes than they would in an 82 game season) can beat Denvers top 8. It's not youth, it's overall talent.

this... although i do think that they should be able to get out of the 1st round. however i wouldn't fire him just yet if they didn't.