PDA

View Full Version : which contract will be worse?

Rain City
11-03-2012, 04:15 AM
alex rodriguez or albert pujols?

Which team will it hinder more long term?

considering arod's already has,

pujols gets a $7m bump after this year to $23m and a $1m increase the following 7.

Halladay
11-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Arod.

YoungStuna
11-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Prince Fielder

ATL#22
11-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Pujols deal is longer and is quickly declining

ciaban
11-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Pujols deal is longer and is quickly declining

quickly declining is a bit of a streatch after he got out of that early season funk, he played well, plus he can and will dh plenty of the time.

SiteWolf
11-03-2012, 07:51 AM
One thing Albert will always have over A.Hole...is class

MetsFanatic19
11-03-2012, 08:09 AM
I have to say A Rod. He still has 5 years left! He's become an above average third baseman with no range who is making an insane amount of money.

Pujols had a down first half, but still ended up with a pretty good stat line. I believe he will come back to form in 2013. By the end of his deal, I expect he'll put up .280/30/85 stat line, much like he did this year.

ATL#22
11-03-2012, 10:30 AM
quickly declining is a bit of a streatch after he got out of that early season funk, he played well, plus he can and will dh plenty of the time.

His ops and obp have steadily declined from 2008(1.115) to now (.859). He walked a career low 52 times this year after walking a career low 61 times last year. Being a DH will hurt his value even more.

jej
11-03-2012, 12:01 PM
ARod easily. He still has half his contract to go, and they want him out! Pujols will hit forever in my opinion.

Nomar
11-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Votto's deal is gonna be bad when hes always hurt and can only draw walks. He doesnt have spectacular power especially considering his home ballpark, by the end of his career he'll be putting up Helton like numbers (recent Helton of course) and getting paid a ridiculous amount for it.

infernoscurse
11-03-2012, 12:20 PM
bryce harpers

Havoc Wreaker
11-03-2012, 12:34 PM
And we all know how important this is to production in the field.

Halladay
11-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Votto's deal is gonna be bad when hes always hurt and can only draw walks. He doesnt have spectacular power especially considering his home ballpark, by the end of his career he'll be putting up Helton like numbers (recent Helton of course) and getting paid a ridiculous amount for it.

The guy who posted a .960 OPS away last season, this is the guy you're talking about? He played in 14 different parks last season and in only 3 of them had an OPS under .700 in a grand total of 11 games. In 5 of them he had an OPS over 1.

VRP723
11-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Pujols.

Rain City
11-03-2012, 05:57 PM
pujols is one of the league's most feared hitters and i anticipate him still being so the next 3 years, but still signs are showing decline, and after 3 years they'll still owe him more than $120m...

he had an offseason knee operation, will be 33 on OD (if thats his real age)...

have fun paying over $27m for multiple years to a DH well into his decline.

Cosmic_Canon
11-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Pujols, because it may affect them resigning Trout in a few years(assuming Trout is a perennial .370 OBP/.510 SLG/40 SB/25 HR guy).

metswon69
11-03-2012, 06:57 PM
I think they will both be equally as bad in the end, the only thing is the Yankees frontloaded A-Rod's contract and he won't be making as much the next in the 5 years as he had made in the last 5.

Whereas Pujols contract jumps incrementally after next year.

Pujols plays the easier position but his WAR has started to take a hit in the last 3 seasons.

Same with A-Rod the last 4 years over his career average.

I say push.

85BearsDefense
11-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Right now Arod but well see if Pujols can stay healthy Arod has he wasn't bad this year he hit well. Pujols has a long way to go.

hugepatsfan
11-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Brandon League

Rylinkus
11-03-2012, 09:22 PM
I think they will both be equally as bad in the end, the only thing is the Yankees frontloaded A-Rod's contract and he won't be making as much the next in the 5 years as he had made in the last 5.

Whereas Pujols contract jumps incrementally after next year.

Pujols plays the easier position but his WAR has started to take a hit in the last 3 seasons.

Same with A-Rod the last 4 years over his career average.

I say push.

While that might make ARod's contract easier to stomach for fans as he goes through decline, I'm not sure it really makes much of a difference. The way Pujols contract is structured you get his best years cheaper. ARod's best are the most expensive. But in the end you're paying a ton of money for a player who will see an ugly decline at the end. If I had to say worst, I'd probably lean Pujols, simply because I have questions about his age. But both are going to be bad.

metswon69
11-03-2012, 09:35 PM
While that might make ARod's contract easier to stomach for fans as he goes through decline, I'm not sure it really makes much of a difference. The way Pujols contract is structured you get his best years cheaper. ARod's best are the most expensive. But in the end you're paying a ton of money for a player who will see an ugly decline at the end. If I had to say worst, I'd probably lean Pujols, simply because I have questions about his age. But both are going to be bad.

Well obviously both will have ugly declines, the good thing is A-Rod being a 2+ WAR 3rd baseman is still considered above average (even if you guys are paying him to be significantly better at least he can give you that).

And i think he could give the Yankees that next year, maybe even 2014 too.

Pujols on the other hand, the way he has declined WAR wise that could end up being more difficult. That's the only reason why i say his waning years will be more difficult on the Angels than A-Rods will with the Yankees (not to mention that Pujols will make more money)

Rylinkus
11-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Thankfully, despite his decline he has yet to become a disaster in the field. The biggest concern with him should be keeping him healthy and on the field.

YoungStuna
11-03-2012, 10:20 PM
I say Pujols.

Pujols at 31: .384 wOBA 5.0 WAR
Pujols at 32: .360 wOBA 3.9 WAR

Rodriguez at 31: .445 wOBA 9.7 WAR
Rodriguez at 32: .409 wOBA 6.3 WAR

So Pujols has started the decline sooner, and has 9 years left on his deal. He also plays 1B while Rodriguez plays 3B.

Nomar
11-03-2012, 11:02 PM
The guy who posted a .960 OPS away last season, this is the guy you're talking about? He played in 14 different parks last season and in only 3 of them had an OPS under .700 in a grand total of 11 games. In 5 of them he had an OPS over 1.

Strictly was talking from a HR standpoint. Without question he is an amazing player, but at the end of his deal he is going to be very overpaid. I guess that goes for every big slugging superstar now though.

nirvana235
11-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Strictly was talking from a HR standpoint. Without question he is an amazing player, but at the end of his deal he is going to be very overpaid. I guess that goes for every big slugging superstar now though.

He has a lot of power, just that he doesn't swing for the fences so he hits for a very high avg and a lot of doubles. I would take him and his contract over Pujols and Prince Fielder easily.

joseph aka Jman
11-03-2012, 11:26 PM
I say Pujols, his contract is incredibly back-loaded, If they want Trout and Trumbo long term while paying him 30M and vernon wells ouch

Yankees90.
11-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Pujols easily.

A-Rod's contract was "mid-loaded" for lack of a better term. He'll be making "only" 20 million in his last year. Pujols is backloaded like hell.

Would you rather pay 20 million for a 42 year old A-Rod or 30+ million for a 42 year old Pujols? And this is no way me taking a shot at the Angels, because I know they don't necessarily have income issues, but the Yankees have a much easier time paying A-Rod's contract. I mean they practically paid it already. When you're making close to 500 million in revenue a year, 275 million over ten years isn't an issue. The issue is trying to get under 189 million.

And not to mention, if I'm not mistaken, Pujols after this current contract will have another 10 year deal with the Angels for 1 million a piece in an office job i assume. I know 1 million won't be much to the Angels, and his playing days will be over, but still lol

redbird89
11-04-2012, 01:21 AM
The Cardinals were smart for not signing Pujols. He's declining and aging and will still be good for a few years, but I doubt he will ever measure up to his salary.

The Angels can DH him and apparently they can afford flush half his salary down the toilet.

redbird89
11-04-2012, 01:25 AM
Pujols easily.

A-Rod's contract was "mid-loaded" for lack of a better term. He'll be making "only" 20 million in his last year. Pujols is backloaded like hell.

Would you rather pay 20 million for a 42 year old A-Rod or 30+ million for a 42 year old Pujols? And this is no way me taking a shot at the Angels, because I know they don't necessarily have income issues, but the Yankees have a much easier time paying A-Rod's contract. I mean they practically paid it already. When you're making close to 500 million in revenue a year, 275 million over ten years isn't an issue. The issue is trying to get under 189 million.

And not to mention, if I'm not mistaken, Pujols after this current contract will have another 10 year deal with the Angels for 1 million a piece in an office job i assume. I know 1 million won't be much to the Angels, and his playing days will be over, but still lol

The whole services thing in the contract is stupid. Albert had to have known that if he had remained a Cardinal (which would mean making less money), he could have a choice of jobs for the Cardinals after he retired. Rumor was that the Cardinals originally offered the services contract to Pujols' agent, and then Lozano turned around and told the Angels to offer it. I have to wonder if Albert was really kept objectively informed through the whole process, or if he just trusted Lozano completely.

Water under the bridge of course and it turned out better that he left. Still, to me Lozano is the sleaziest of all agents.

It will be funny if Albert still goes into the Hall of Fame as a Cardinal, which, given how the HOF decides those things, seems likely.

Yankees90.
11-04-2012, 01:33 AM
The whole services thing in the contract is stupid. Albert had to have known that if he had remained a Cardinal (which would mean making less money), he could have a choice of jobs for the Cardinals after he retired. Rumor was that the Cardinals originally offered the services contract to Pujols' agent, and then Lozano turned around and told the Angels to offer it. I have to wonder if Albert was really kept objectively informed through the whole process, or if he just trusted Lozano completely.

Water under the bridge of course and it turned out better that he left. Still, to me Lozano is the sleaziest of all agents.

It will be funny if Albert still goes into the Hall of Fame as a Cardinal, which, given how the HOF decides those things, seems likely.

I would assume so. Two world titles, and a ton of other accolades. Can't see him doing half of what he did in St. Louis with the Angels.

seikou8
11-04-2012, 01:45 AM

who need class when your richest baseball player of all time :p

Rain City
11-04-2012, 04:06 AM
Thankfully, despite his decline he has yet to become a disaster in the field. The biggest concern with him should be keeping him healthy and on the field.

this is what i see the concern with arod, he will have a bad hip the rest of his career, you have to give him regular days off and i think yanks will be lucky to get 120 games per yr the next 5, and how much longer will he stay above average?

but with angels i think there is much higher likelihood of carnage, as great as pujols is he gets hurt too and he cant fend off a sharp decline into his late 30s when he will be pd the most... it definitely compromises trout getting locked up, and at some point they are going to be forced to play ML guys bc they wont afford to play a full team of proven big leaguers, prolly not close.

after the next couple years angels' GM job is going to get really tough, they gotta be pissed they didnt win it this year when on paper it seemed like it was their's to lose.

Bo Sox Fan
11-04-2012, 04:41 AM
It's an embarrassment to Albert Pujols to EVER be mentioned in the same sentence as Alex Rodriguez.

Albert will go down as one of the greatest MLB players in league history while A "Roid" will be rememberd as one of the biggest male divas with an asterisk beside every record he was supposed to break but fell short.

Jeffy25
11-04-2012, 04:49 AM
I think Pujols will decline like Manny personally

a few more seasons with an OBP over .400, and slugging at or near .600, and then a gradual decline really hitting him around the age of 37/38. But he will still draw his walks and get on base even without his power.

metswon69
11-04-2012, 04:51 AM
It's an embarrassment to Albert Pujols to EVER be mentioned in the same sentence as Alex Rodriguez.

Albert will go down as one of the greatest MLB players in league history while A "Roid" will be rememberd as one of the biggest male divas with an asterisk beside every record he was supposed to break but fell short.

In regards to who is the worse contract i think you mention them in the same sentence.

I don't think that's a fair statement about A-Rod because he has been a great player since he broke out in 1996.

A-Rod did have over a 50 career rWAR till that point having been a full time player from 96 on till 2002 (before he admitted using steroids for the 2003 season)

That's similar to Pujols who had roughly the same rWAR in his first 7 seasons playing everyday.

Jeffy25
11-04-2012, 04:51 AM
I don't see how Albert would go into the hall of fame as anything but a Cardinal.

He will spend more time in the end as a Cardinal as a ball player, will end up being far more productive as a Cardinal, and likely will end up with a lot more success as a Cardinal.

He would have to repeat his first half of his career in LA, and that's just not going to happen.

TallicaFan87
11-04-2012, 05:31 AM
I think Pujols will decline like Manny personally

a few more seasons with an OBP over .400, and slugging at or near .600, and then a gradual decline really hitting him around the age of 37/38. But he will still draw his walks and get on base even without his power.

Kind of curious what makes you think this way when he hasn't had an OBP over .400 or slugged near .600 in either of the last two years. That obviously doesn't mean he can't bounce back but right now it seems like he's already hitting a gradual decline.

Leandres_sf
11-04-2012, 01:57 PM
ARod's will be worse than Pujols, but as someone else mentioned, Prince Fielder's will be worse than either of them.

Jeffy25
11-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Kind of curious what makes you think this way when he hasn't had an OBP over .400 or slugged near .600 in either of the last two years. That obviously doesn't mean he can't bounce back but right now it seems like he's already hitting a gradual decline.

Considering he did it since May of each of the last two seasons, it's more than reasonable to assume he will again.

Each of the last two seasons he was much more aggressive at the beginning of each season chasing a lot of pitches out of the strike zone, he then calmed down by June and hit like his old self each season.

I'm guessing 2011 he was playing for the contract a bit, and in 2012, he was playing to impress the new team and fans.

It's when he is patient that he is his most dangerous. He still has the explosive bat.

Nomar
11-04-2012, 04:26 PM
He has a lot of power, just that he doesn't swing for the fences so he hits for a very high avg and a lot of doubles. I would take him and his contract over Pujols and Prince Fielder easily.

Definitely. Fielder's health has been impressive but theres gonna be a point where he is a DH and Miggy is as well. Gonna be a tough spot for Detroit.

GasMan
11-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Definitely. Fielder's health has been impressive but theres gonna be a point where he is a DH and Miggy is as well. Gonna be a tough spot for Detroit.

Miggy's contract is done after 2015 and its likely Prince and his contract will force Miggy to leave if he wants a Pujols type contract.

klane079
11-04-2012, 07:34 PM

I'm predicting Detroit trades Prince to Texas this offseason, taking Young in return

Jeffy25
11-04-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm predicting Detroit trades Prince to Texas this offseason, taking Young in return

Because that kind of trade happens

metswon69
11-04-2012, 09:09 PM

This has to be sarcasm..

Otherwise :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

klane079
11-04-2012, 10:13 PM

Signed

Boston

I'm not saying just those 2 players BTW...but there will be a package centered around Fielder...Detroit will either throw in some $ or take a contract like Young

JTSnowLetItSnow
11-04-2012, 10:18 PM
VRP's and Idiot Pujols is the best player like ever.

-dontstop

metswon69
11-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Signed

Boston

I'm not saying just those 2 players BTW...but there will be a package centered around Fielder...Detroit will either throw in some $ or take a contract like Young

I guess you aren't being sarcastic.

Why would the Tigers, after just making the WS, trade a guy they just gave 200 million dollars to the Rangers for a package around a 36 year old DH/INF who just had his worse season in the big leagues?

That makes absolutely zero sense.

I don't care what minor leaguers they throw in, the Tigers are built to win now and if the Rangers wanted Prince Fielder they could have signed him last offseason.

klane079
11-04-2012, 10:42 PM

Why would the Tigers after just making the WS trade a guy they just gave 200 million dollars to the Rangers for a package around a 36 year old DH/INF who just had his worse season in the big leagues?

Like I said....I'm not saying player for player...we will have to throw in some $ or take a contract like Youngs in return.

Detroit approached Boras after VMart got injured for a 1-year deal. Here is the exact quote
"‘Would Prince Fielder be interested in a one-year deal?’ I said, ‘He would. For nine years,’”
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2012/02/detroit_tigers_first_baseman_p.html

Long term we all know Fielder will be a DH...as will Cabrera. Cabrera is signed thru 2015, and is a MUCH better hitter....doesn't make sense to keep a guy like Fielder over him....

Verlander is also going to get paid. We can't keep a competitive team having half our payroll tied up in 3 guys (2 of which are DH types). Scherzer, Fister, and Jackson are only going to get more expensive.

We need to improved our defense, so I'm thinking something a package involving Prince for Andrus. Profar is ready, making Adrus expendable for Texas. Detroit picked up Peralta's option, they could either move him to 3rd or trade him.

VMart will be back in 2013...so losing Fielder won't be a huge loss offensively...and anyone else at 1B would be a defensive upgrade.

metswon69
11-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Like I said....I'm not saying player for player...we will have to throw in some $ or take a contract like Youngs in return.

Detroit approached Boras after VMart got injured for a 1-year deal. Here is the exact quote
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2012/02/detroit_tigers_first_baseman_p.html

Long term we all know Fielder will be a DH...as will Cabrera. Cabrera is signed thru 2015, and is a MUCH better hitter....doesn't make sense to keep a guy like Fielder over him....

Verlander is also going to get paid. We can't keep a competitive team having half our payroll tied up in 3 guys (2 of which are DH types). Scherzer, Fister, and Jackson are only going to get more expensive.

We need to improved our defense, so I'm thinking something a package involving Prince for Andrus. Profar is ready, making Adrus expendable for Texas. Detroit picked up Peralta's option, they could either move him to 3rd or trade him.

VMart will be back in 2013...so losing Fielder won't be a huge loss offensively...and anyone else at 1B would be a defensive upgrade.

They're not dealing a 1st baseman they just gave 214 million dollars to, one offseason after signing him.

I don't care what prospects are built around that deal.

Yeah the Rangers would love that just to get rid of Young's contract and clear out space because they already have too many INF (with Olt and Profar) but they are going to have to find a different way to get rid of Young than Prince Fielder.

Especially considering like i said if the Rangers wanted him so bad they could have signed him last offseason.

The Tigers will have to live dangerously like all teams that spend large amounts of money on 3 or 4 players do but don't expect Prince Fielder to be traded after one year (a year in which they made the WS)

They'll DH Victor and let Delmon Young walk.

Cabrera and Fielder played over a 150 games in the field last year too.

Jeffy25
11-04-2012, 10:52 PM
No one is going to trade for Fielder, and Detroit is not going to trade him away

how many times has someone signed a 9 year deal, and been traded 12 months later?

GasMan
11-04-2012, 10:55 PM

While I don't think Illitch would go for trading Prince, I think that if the Rangers were interested in Prince last offseason the probable loss of Hamilton, poor production from the 1B/DH spots, and early exit from the playoffs would make them more interested this offseason. If they got Andrus/Young for Fielder/Villareal (or something similar) and $$, I think it would make sense for both sides. But it won't happen.

Rain City
11-04-2012, 11:38 PM
speaking of bad contracts, throw in ryan howard...

detroit fell in love with prince enough to pay $214M knowing this is what they're team would like like+ made WS, dont see it happening.

klane079
11-04-2012, 11:49 PM
They're not dealing a 1st baseman they just gave 214 million dollars to, one offseason after signing him.

I don't care what prospects are built around that deal.

Yeah the Rangers would love that just to get rid of Young's contract and clear out space because they already have too many INF (with Olt and Profar) but they are going to have to find a different way to get rid of Young than Prince Fielder.

Especially considering like i said if the Rangers wanted him so bad they could have signed him last offseason.

The Tigers will have to live dangerously like all teams that spend large amounts of money on 3 or 4 players do but don't expect Prince Fielder to be traded after one year (a year in which they made the WS)

They'll let Victor DH and let Delmon Young walk.

Cabrera and Fielder played over a 150 games in the field last year too.

Yes the Rangers passed on Fielder last year...but they were interested. A lot has changed over the last year...they were pursuing Hamilton long term which obviously fell apart, Napoli was mashing, and struggled all 2012, now a FA. It will be tough for them to make upgrades offensively in the FA market this year.

Losing Hamilton is a HUGE blow to Texas' offense. This would be a win for both sides IMO. Yes there is a good chance it won't happen...but shedding Fielder needs to happen in the next 2 years.

No one is going to trade for Fielder, and Detroit is not going to trade him away

how many times has someone signed a 9 year deal, and been traded 12 months later?

There is a good chance it won't happen...then again very few thought he would come to Detroit with Cabrera already being their 1Bman..

Rush
11-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Prince Fielder is not getting traded.

Originally Posted by klane079
This would be a win for both sides IMO.

How exactly does this help the Tigers?

iam brett favre
11-05-2012, 01:10 AM
John Lackey.

todu82
11-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Arods.

Pinstripe pride
11-05-2012, 10:42 AM
bobby bonilla

klane079
11-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Prince Fielder is not getting traded.

How exactly does this help the Tigers?

Solid SS, frees up payroll to resign Cabrera & Verlander, and retain one of our starting pitchers who are going to continue to get more expensive, along with Austin Jackson

Pierzynski4Prez
11-05-2012, 07:19 PM
I think the Yankees can absorb Arod's contract for the last few years much easier than the Angels will be able to absorb Pujol's contract in the last few years.

natepro
11-05-2012, 08:33 PM
I say Pujols, his contract is incredibly back-loaded, If they want Trout and Trumbo long term while paying him 30M and vernon wells ouch

We don't actually want Trumbo, and I'm hoping we trade him this off-season. Or, wait until he gets hot again, people salivate over his power and forget his pretty terrible OBP skills, and trade him then.

And we won't have Vernon Wells much longer, either. Wells won't be an issue when it comes to resigning Trout. At worst, we have him for another two seasons and then his money comes off the books.

BrianWestKins
11-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Both contracts will most likely be equally horrible

Rain City
11-05-2012, 09:48 PM
if angels extend trout and are paying him in the same ballpark as pujols' final years... they will have to fill a healthy portion of their roster with guys at the beginning of their career or over the hill guys just trying to hang on in the MLB...

and i know albert is amazing, but at 39,40,41 there is a good chance he is a part time type player.

thawv
11-07-2012, 02:10 PM
alex rodriguez or albert pujols?

Which team will it hinder more long term?

considering arod's already has,

pujols gets a $7m bump after this year to $23m and a $1m increase the following 7.

Here's a little input to the question. Who will be worse of a player? ARod today, or Pujols in 5 years? That will give you the answer to your question.

:cheers:

benzni
11-07-2012, 02:19 PM
obviously Alex Rodriguez

klane079
11-20-2013, 09:51 PM

Bump:cheers:

LASportsFan1996
11-21-2013, 12:04 AM

Welp

FortDetroit
11-21-2013, 12:06 AM

This has to be sarcasm..

Otherwise :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Signed

Boston

Why would the Tigers, after just making the WS, trade a guy they just gave 200 million dollars to the Rangers for a package around a 36 year old DH/INF who just had his worse season in the big leagues?

I don't care what minor leaguers they throw in, the Tigers are built to win now and if the Rangers wanted Prince Fielder they could have signed him last offseason.

Good call Klane. Lol at all the "experts" mocking you and trying to make you sound stupid for the idea.

goingfor28
11-21-2013, 12:33 AM
Poo-holes bc it's 3 years longer

metswon69
11-21-2013, 12:38 AM

metswon69
11-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Good call Klane. Lol at all the "experts" mocking you and trying to make you sound stupid for the idea.

I'm sorry but did they make that trade for Michael Young like he suggested? No because they actually got decent value in return for Fielder (and saved 76 million dollars) and not a guy who produced a -1.2 WAR last year.

And read the post, they didn't trade him last offseason like Klane predicted. This is year two...

There are rules about bumping old threads btw.