PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible that James Dolan is this much of a jerk?

torocan
11-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Is it possible that this article from Forbes is true?

Another Dolan Disaster: MSG Reportedly Forcing Sandy-Struck Employees To Work Or Take Vacation Time

As my colleague Kashmir Hill reported earlier today, in the wake of Hurriane Sandy, there are just two kinds of companies: those that get it and those that donít.

If a memo just published on Gawker turns out to be the real deal, you can plunk the Dolans, that nice, low-key Long Island clan who run Madison Square Garden, to the donít category.

According to Gawker, MSG sent all employees a memo yesterday that told them that, yes, the hurricane had made life hard, but they had a business to run, and a game to play against the Heat, and if you couldnít make it in, well, youíd need to take those days as vacation. Via Gawker:

ďWe recognize that many employees are impacted by the transportation issues as well as a lack of power, and that some are even dealing with personal damage and health issues. In the event that you need to make the personal decision that you are unable to come to work, you will need to notify your supervisor and take a personal or vacation day to cover the time off.

Insensitive? Absolutely. Surprising? Absolutely not. For those who follow the New York sports scene, the Dolans are synonymous with managerial ineptitude. They own the second-most most valuable basketball team in the NBA (worth $780 million, up 19% from a year earlier), yet canít muster championships. Jimmy Dolan runs through coaches like his players run through towels. He had Jeremy Lin, he lost Jeremy Lin. Then there was that little sexual harassment suit.

Hereís the thing, though. In the past, it didnít matter. If you wanted to root for someone, you were stuck with the product the Dolans put on the courtĖand the Dolans. But as of Saturday, thatís no longer the case. With the Nets in town (and soon the Islanders), there are actually basketball options for New Yorkers for the first time in more than a generation.

Itíll be interesting to see how they put out this fire. Thereís a lot of grumpy people around the area right now who will be reading this in the Post as they ride out a brutal, three-hour commute from their cold, dark house in New Jersey or Long Island or Brooklyn. Jimmy Dolan just gave them someone to get angry at. Comon, how stupid can you be?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danbigman/2012/11/01/another-dolan-disaster-msg-reportedly-forcing-sandy-struck-employees-to-work-or-take-vacation-time/

Could anyone be THIS screwed up? :facepalm:

Anyone able to confirm this?

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-02-2012, 05:04 PM
wow... thats messed up

KnickaBocka.44
11-02-2012, 05:05 PM
It is gawker, but I also wouldn't doubt that Dolan is that big of a jergoff

jam
11-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Dumb Dolan at it again.

Knicks suck!

theheatles
11-02-2012, 05:15 PM
No statement pisses me off more than when someone says "I have a business to run" or "It's not personal, it's business"

Business is never an excuse for being a scumbag. Being a scumbag and having a successful business are not mutually exclusive.

TyrionLannister
11-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Yes.

Seriously, how much does Dolan have to trash his own image before Stern or Silver seize the team Selig vs. McCourts style?

knicks=love
11-02-2012, 05:19 PM
i ****ing hate james dolan

Blitzace137
11-02-2012, 05:20 PM
I would be lying if I said I'm surprised. This is classic Dolan this is the same guy who kicked his own father out of cablevision.

KnickaBocka.44
11-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Yes.

Seriously, how much does Dolan have to trash his own image before Stern or Silver seize the team Selig vs. McCourts style?

The 2 situations have absolutely nothing in common.

8kobe24
11-02-2012, 05:22 PM
S'all about the Dolla Dolla bills y'all.

Punk
11-02-2012, 05:24 PM
This is how ALL of NYC jobs are operating. My aunt's supervisor told her, because she didn't come into work on Monday and Tuesday, she shouldn't get a paycheck.

It's beyond insensitive and disgraceful but I'm not buying this article until I hear it from actual employees.

P Harvy
11-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Dolan is a ****.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-02-2012, 05:30 PM
James Dolan is the worst owner in the history of professional sports. He's the reason Max Kellerman left being a Knicks fan and became a Lakers fan. :laugh2:

Evolution23
11-02-2012, 05:30 PM
That's the way the world works.

TyrionLannister
11-02-2012, 05:35 PM
The 2 situations have absolutely nothing in common.

Oh I know, it's just that, as commissioner, wouldn't it be "in the best interest of the league" that James Dolan is forced to hand over the Knicks (one of the league's signature franchises) to a legitimately competent owner? Dolan is a terrible owner who either doesn't care or inexplicably doesn't notice how much ire he draws from the fanbase as its owner.

StarvingKnick22
11-02-2012, 05:41 PM
No statement pisses me off more than when someone says "I have a business to run" or "It's not personal, it's business"

Business is never an excuse for being a scumbag. Being a scumbag and having a successful business are not mutually exclusive.

Funny a heat fan says that.

KnickaBocka.44
11-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Oh I know, it's just that, as commissioner, wouldn't it be "in the best interest of the league" that James Dolan is forced to hand over the Knicks (one of the league's signature franchises) to a legitimately competent owner? Dolan is a terrible owner who either doesn't care or inexplicably doesn't notice how much ire he draws from the fanbase as its owner.

Okay, I see where you're coming from. I'm not sure if it warrants league intervention, he just needs to learn how to shut his mouth and sign checks, as far as the team is concerned, and he would be fine. He's been more than willing to spend the moeny to put a solid team together, which isn't the case for many NBA owners.

LongIslandIcedZ
11-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but Dolan is not the only company owner making his employees come in, and if they cant, its a personal day. My company is doing it too. I'm sure if it was Dolan's choice, they wouldnt even be having this game. However, they are having this game, and they will need employees to come in.

I apologize if I'm missing something, and I could be, I'm tired. This seems like something a lot of company owners are doing.

And I hate Dolan.

uprightciti
11-02-2012, 05:54 PM
#****dolan
START THIS PLEASE

uprightciti
11-02-2012, 05:55 PM
sorry #f u c k dolan

asandhu23
11-02-2012, 05:55 PM
James Dolan is the worst owner in the history of professional sports. He's the reason Max Kellerman left being a Knicks fan and became a Lakers fan. :laugh2:

False. you haven't endured Chris Cohan.

beasted86
11-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Funny a heat fan says that.

What is that supposed to mean?

The Miami HEAT is a classy organization, every fan, player, coach, employee and otherwise says this. You've obviously never heard anything nearly as ridiculous as this happening with HEAT / Carnival cruise employees in any of the number of hurricanes or natural disasters that happen here in South Florida.

Knicks on the other hand run through coaches like nobody's business, have had a sexual harassment scandal, are totally mismanaged as far as payroll vs. quality product / winning goes, have had a number of disgruntled players, and obviously have an ownership group that doesn't have a clue about ethical treatment of their employees.

Remember, I didn't make this into a HEAT vs. Knicks thread, you did.

DreamShaker
11-02-2012, 06:20 PM

Amen to that! That has always been a poor excuse.

douglas
11-02-2012, 06:25 PM
If I were James Dolan's mother I would be very disappointed with my son. I would send him to bed without dinner. And what makes it worse is that I made his favorite, green bean casserole.

Pluvious
11-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Why would people not go to work? If you want money you have to work...correct?

Spurred1
11-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Kind of hard to go to work when transportation is not available or you may be really concerned about your home being destroyed. If this is true, what an *******.
The fat **** who was the superintendent of Dallas ISD had staff and kids come in when it was snowing and icing because it was a benchmark testing day and he didn't want to postpone it-Texans aren't used to ice/snow, so you can guess how many accidents there were. He probably stayed at home on his festering *** bundled up in his bed. Bosses/supervisors often get where they are by being cold blooded shitheads.

Knicks21
11-02-2012, 06:47 PM
What is that supposed to mean?

The Miami HEAT is a classy organization, every fan, player, coach, employee and otherwise says this. You've obviously never heard anything nearly as ridiculous as this happening with HEAT / Carnival cruise employees in any of the number of hurricanes or natural disasters that happen here in South Florida.

Knicks on the other hand run through coaches like nobody's business, have had a sexual harassment scandal, are totally mismanaged as far as payroll vs. quality product / winning goes, have had a number of disgruntled players, and obviously have an ownership group that doesn't have a clue about ethical treatment of their employees.

Remember, I didn't make this into a HEAT vs. Knicks thread, you did.

No you're not, fans are apart of the organisation and to be honest, you dont have the best fans, not even close. And as far as the players, coachers, front office and employees, I cannot speak for them, and neither can you.

Kashmir13579
11-02-2012, 06:59 PM
If I were James Dolan's mother I would be very disappointed with my son. I would send him to bed without dinner. And what makes it worse is that I made his favorite, green bean casserole.

Sig worthy.

Kashmir13579
11-02-2012, 06:59 PM
I already thought Dolan was an evil man.. This changes nothing.

TyrionLannister
11-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Sig worthy.

Indeed.

Kashmir13579
11-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Indeed.
:laugh:

Douglas is the best in the biz. Ask anyone.

Hawkeye15
11-02-2012, 07:16 PM
I had to report to work 2 days after Ike, which left Houston without power and gas in most areas for 2 weeks (I was without power for 15 days, in 97 degree temps).

That being said, if you are a popcorn vendor, are you really an "essential" employee?

Kashmir13579
11-02-2012, 07:24 PM
I had to report to work 2 days after Ike, which left Houston without power and gas in most areas for 2 weeks (I was without power for 15 days, in 97 degree temps).

That being said, if you are a popcorn vendor, are you really an "essential" employee?

When pocorn runs you $10.

FOBolous
11-02-2012, 07:27 PM
I would be lying if I said I'm surprised. This is classic Dolan this is the same guy who kicked his own father out of cablevision.

wow seriously? that's messed up

abe_froman
11-02-2012, 07:30 PM
from what i've heard about the guy,this actually him being nice

John Walls Era
11-02-2012, 07:32 PM
What did you expect? Thats why Dolan has made terrible decisions and they always come back and bite them in the ***. Over-emotional and thinks the world revolves around him. Knicks won't even get past the 2nd round with him running things from here on out.

John Walls Era
11-02-2012, 07:33 PM

popcorn makes knicks game (which are terrible anyways cuz the product sucks) watchable. IMO the popcorn vendor is the Knicks MVP.

seikou8
11-02-2012, 07:40 PM
wow

beasted86
11-02-2012, 07:46 PM
No you're not, fans are apart of the organisation and to be honest, you dont have the best fans, not even close. And as far as the players, coachers, front office and employees, I cannot speak for them, and neither can you.

You have a very skewed perspective if you think fans are part of the team organization. Essentially you are saying any stakeholder (not shareholder) in the team is part of the organization. Basically a bookie in Vegas who has never even been to a HEAT game is a part of the organization just because he has a vested interest or stake in the team.

Either way, as far as fans, the HEAT fans are some of the more classy fans in the NBA regardless of what you think. Other teams around the league have had players assaulted by fans, fans throw items on the court, fans throw items at players entering/exiting the tunnel, fans with insensitive heckling messages on posters, fans who taunt their own players with chants, fans who constantly bad mouth their coaches and the ownership, Etc. None of this happens in Miami, and almost everything I listed above has happened in NY.