PDA

View Full Version : Any chance the Spurs can still win it all in the 2012-2013 season?

JordansBulls
11-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Any chance the Spurs can still win it all in the 2012-2013 season?

The role players they have have gotten better since last year, I guess it will hinge on which Duncan you can get consistently.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-02-2012, 01:59 PM
ugh yes. lol

spurs, heat, lakers, celtics, thunder

imo

RonE Coleman
11-02-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't see why not... especially if Leonard takes the next step and the big 3 are healthy come playoff time

SteBO
11-02-2012, 02:01 PM
They have a good chance. My fear for them is when they go up against the more athletic teams. I think they can match up pretty well with the Lakers, but the Thunder would be more of an obstacle, though I firmly believe that challenge eased up a bit with Harden gone. Seriously, Harden shot like 60% from the 3pt line in the WCF. The Thunder in general were hitting a good majority of their jumpshots, and the Spurs could do little to stop it. The odds of that happening again aren't the greatest, so I like their chances.

I think they match up pretty well against any team in the eastern conference as well.

chicagocubsfan
11-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Yes. Kawhi Leonard is a stud in the making.

mightybosstone
I certainly would not put money on them, and if it's down to a healthy Heat team against a healthy Spurs team, I think Miami would crush San Antonio. But that doesn't mean there isn't a chance. San Antonio is probably one of the five best teams in the NBA when healthy, and if the right pieces fall into place, I can definitely see a scenario where they get Duncan his fifth title.

ManRam
Of course there is a chance. I'm don't think they will, but they're one of 7-8 teams I think with a legit chance.

Cal827
11-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Nah, this is Milwaukee's year.

Lab Rat Robby
11-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Go spurs go, it'll only happen if the fans cheer the other team outta the building. lol kinda serious. Spurs look confident, its early and injury is already an issue. if it becomes more of an issue ill stop being a homer.

DoMeFavors
11-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Not with Heat, Nets, OKC in the league

gotoHcarolina52
11-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Yes, but only if they have HCA :p

Max.This
11-02-2012, 02:17 PM
They definitely have a great chance of winning it all. They will make teams adjust to them

torocan
11-02-2012, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't call them the favorites, but they're real.

Sleeping on Duncan/TP and the Spurs would be a serious mistake for anyone, including the Heat.

Raph12
11-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Yes and an even better one if they don't get the Thunder/Lakers in the second round (otherwise they might have to play both)...

douglas
11-02-2012, 02:23 PM
I believe if the San Antonio Spurs make the NBA playoffs this year, they have a chance of winning the championship. If they do not make the NBA playoffs, I do not think they have a chance of winning the championship.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Yes they do.

JasonJohnHorn
11-02-2012, 02:34 PM

:facepalm:

JasonJohnHorn
11-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Of course the Spurs have a chance to win it all. They have the best coach in the league and one of the deepest rosters. I mean, if they are deep enough to waive Eddy Curry they must be pretty fawking good.

Yabaecip
11-02-2012, 02:35 PM
They always seem to pull out a good playoff run every year.

SouthSideRookie
11-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Now that Harden got traded they can definitely win the west but I doubt they would beat the Heat.

Ebbs
11-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Always a chance but I DOUBT IT.

Quinnsanity
11-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Don't sleep on Denver. They ****ed up against Philly, but if they get it together they're scary.

Dade County
11-02-2012, 03:28 PM

:whistle:

AlexTmz2
11-02-2012, 03:43 PM

I respect the love for your team. But Brk hasn't even played a damn game yet. How good is this team really going to be? They have a lot to prove.

IversonIsKrazy
11-02-2012, 03:57 PM
I think Spurs will make it out of the West this year. I mean, they were a couple of miss-shots/couple of plays away from the FInals last year. There role players got better, Tony is just as good, and Duncan does not seem worse than last year.
*IF* Spurs are 100% healthy come playoff time, I see them out of the WEst forsure, and probably lifting their 5th and final trophy!

StarvingKnick22
11-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Nah, this is Milwaukee's year.

FEAR the DEAR.

KnicksorBust
11-02-2012, 04:01 PM
No.

pebloemer
11-02-2012, 04:02 PM
I'd never count out a Popovich team. I wouldn't call them favourites to win, but I don't see a reason why they couldn't.

ChicagoJ
11-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Duncan is still a very good player and with everything else they have, yes there is a chance.

Punk
11-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Nope.

kdspurman
11-02-2012, 04:06 PM
When you factor in the incredibly high % some of the players on OKC shot last year in the WCF, it's hard to imagine that kind of performance being repeated. Add that to the fact that Harden is now gone, and while Martin is solid, he won't cause the same headaches Harden did.

That said, of course they have a chance. With them keeping the same team, they have probably the best chance at the very least of winning the #1 spot which will be very important this year.

Of course the Lakers are a huge threat, and the Clippers, and the defending WCF champs, but it's a new year, and personally the West seems to be wide open.

They have 1 advantage over the other teams out west and that's chemistry, which should translate to wins. Especially with the emphasis on defense and the different things they're doing defensively, (a big problem for them last year) and the continuing growth of Leonard, they can certainly do better than last year.

TheSource
11-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Kawhi Leonard's development will also play a factor, he's going to have to step up and we'll have to see how Duncan, Parker, and Ginobli can play as many minutes as they can without tiring out.

nickdymez
11-02-2012, 04:17 PM
33%

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Kawhi Leonard's development will also play a factor, he's going to have to step up and we'll have to see how Duncan, Parker, and Ginobli can play as many minutes as they can without tiring out.

I'm a big fan of Kwame Leonard.

-Charles Barkley

No but seriously, that kid has game, fundamentally sound, good defender, big shot maker. The whole package.

kdspurman
11-02-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm a big fan of Kwame Leonard.

-Charles Barkley

No but seriously, that kid has game, fundamentally sound, good defender, big shot maker. The whole package.

:laugh2: It's so funny when he tries to pronounce his name. I start to think maybe he'll get it this time, but he never does!

TheSource
11-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Not sure myself whether it's Ka-WHY(?), or Ka-WEEEE(!) Leonard.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-02-2012, 04:38 PM
ITS KA-WHY-EEE.

jeeze, get these african names right.

just be glad there is no clicking sound lol

TheSource
11-02-2012, 04:49 PM
!Xobile

naps
11-02-2012, 04:49 PM
JB, will they have HCA? It depends on HCA you know.

TyrionLannister
11-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Of course.

Hell, they probably would've been in the Finals last year had Serge Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins not shot 16 for 18 in game 4.

Eg714
11-02-2012, 05:28 PM
They have good players, are deep, and have the best coach in the league.

SportsFanatic10
11-02-2012, 06:16 PM
they have a chance but they are in the 2nd tier of contenders with the likes of the celtics and clippers. pretty much everything has to go right for one of those teams to win it imo.

Alayla
11-02-2012, 06:20 PM
I believe if the San Antonio Spurs make the NBA playoffs this year, they have a chance of winning the championship. If they do not make the NBA playoffs, I do not think they have a chance of winning the championship.

you did something like this once before old hat XD

Kashmir13579
11-02-2012, 06:57 PM
They always have a chance.

kdspurman
11-02-2012, 07:40 PM
they have a chance but they are in the 2nd tier of contenders with the likes of the celtics and clippers. pretty much everything has to go right for one of those teams to win it imo.

How so?

SportsFanatic10
11-02-2012, 07:54 PM
How so?

tier 1
heat/lakers/thunder

tier 2
spurs/celtics/clippers

i just think that the gap between the tiers is fairly noticible(although the thunder did bring themselves close to dropping to tier 2 with the harden deal). especially with the spurs being in the west they'd likely need to beat either the thunder or the lakers and possibly both, then they'd probably have to beat miami. thats a tall order for an older team. by everything going right i mean duncan and manu staying healthy, and possibly injuries to some of the other top contenders.

JayW_1023
11-03-2012, 05:19 AM
I know better than to keep my hopes up, unlike Knicks fans overrating their team already.

Spurs will be there in the mix.

seikou8
11-03-2012, 05:34 AM
I know better than to keep my hopes up, unlike Knicks fans overrating their team already.

Spurs will be there in the mix.

yup we do. but what do you expect we have biggest fan base in NBA forum there going to be some trolls

kobe4thewinbang
11-03-2012, 05:47 AM
If Tony Parker steps up in place of Timmy & Ginobili's aged effectiveness, sure. He's been great so far.

JayW_1023
11-03-2012, 05:48 AM
yup we do. but what do you expect we have biggest fan base in NBA forum there going to be some trolls

Knicks fans generally like flashy, ankle breaking basketball - which is why I find it really nice one Knicks fan compared the Knicks to the Spurs.

I did like their play yesterday, they have some veterans to manage things in the locker room. Makes a huge difference.

kdspurman
11-03-2012, 12:04 PM
tier 1
heat/lakers/thunder

tier 2
spurs/celtics/clippers

i just think that the gap between the tiers is fairly noticible(although the thunder did bring themselves close to dropping to tier 2 with the harden deal). especially with the spurs being in the west they'd likely need to beat either the thunder or the lakers and possibly both, then they'd probably have to beat miami. thats a tall order for an older team. by everything going right i mean duncan and manu staying healthy, and possibly injuries to some of the other top contenders.

OKC took a step back without Harden, there's no denying it. LA has a lot of chemistry issues and depth issues to work out, but SA is not Tier 1 after making the WCF last year? Doesn't add up to me. Same with the Celtics

And not to mention the way Pop manages minutes to keep guys healthy. Manu missed a ton of games and SA still had the #1 seed. There's a lot of depth on this squad

ColtsSpursTerps
11-03-2012, 01:58 PM

we would dismantle the nets

ColtsSpursTerps
11-03-2012, 02:02 PM
You never count us out
just gotta stay healthy..and hope Boris is athletic enough and develops even more chemistry with the longtime spurs to add to his already natural passing skills
kawhi leonard will likely become something special, it'll be nice to see how soon that is

Blitzbolt
11-03-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't get the Spurs they keep doing the same thing over and over again same plays from 3 ago.

They refuse to get a shot blocking Center to help Duncan and play about 12 players every game when in the playoffs all you need is 8 players.

ColtsSpursTerps
11-03-2012, 04:50 PM
I don't get the Spurs they keep doing the same thing over and over again same plays from 3 ago.

They refuse to get a shot blocking Center to help Duncan and play about 12 players every game when in the playoffs all you need is 8 players.

my nightmare that's been true for the past few yrs
and we use the 12 players to keep players fresh and healthy...

SportsFanatic10
11-03-2012, 05:53 PM
OKC took a step back without Harden, there's no denying it. LA has a lot of chemistry issues and depth issues to work out, but SA is not Tier 1 after making the WCF last year? Doesn't add up to me. Same with the Celtics

And not to mention the way Pop manages minutes to keep guys healthy. Manu missed a ton of games and SA still had the #1 seed. There's a lot of depth on this squad

yeah honestly i went into this season thinking that really only 3 teams were gonna be able to win it all in the end (assuming everyone to be healthy of course) those teams obviously are

miami

la

thunder

before the harden trade i had the thunder ahead of the lakers, but like you said there is no denying that they took a step back. i still have them in the top 3 after la, but barely. i'm not one to over react to the lakers start, i still think they're gonna be in the finals vs miami when its all said and done. after all i witnessed first hand how the heat struggled, not as bad as la but still it was a rough start for them too.

the spurs have been good for a long time and they still are. but i just don't they they're good enough at this point to take it unless like i said earlier everything goes right for them. it seems like a pattern every year lately where nobody pays the spurs any attention, and then people stop sleeping on them just in time to see their season end in disappointing fashion. at this point it just feels like the spurs season is scripted to end before the finals once again. they're a good team don't get me wrong but i don't think they are quite good enough to get over the hump and make it out of the west let alone beat miami if they come out of the east like i expect.

out of the 3 2nd tier teams that i think have an outside shot i'd put them in this order:

clippers
spurs
celtics

thats just my opinion...

kdspurman
11-03-2012, 06:32 PM

You say it as if there are free agent centers, one with great shot blocking ability that is just available on the market, willing to not take a ton of money and choose SA over some of these other markets. Like the Spurs don't have one of the if not the best front office to realize the need they have, but don't always have the necessary assets to make it happen.

Next year they will have a good amount of space depending on what happens with Manu, and even then the challenge is getting FA's to want to play there. It's not an easy thing..

kdspurman
11-03-2012, 06:33 PM
yeah honestly i went into this season thinking that really only 3 teams were gonna be able to win it all in the end (assuming everyone to be healthy of course) those teams obviously are

miami

la

thunder

before the harden trade i had the thunder ahead of the lakers, but like you said there is no denying that they took a step back. i still have them in the top 3 after la, but barely. i'm not one to over react to the lakers start, i still think they're gonna be in the finals vs miami when its all said and done. after all i witnessed first hand how the heat struggled, not as bad as la but still it was a rough start for them too.

the spurs have been good for a long time and they still are. but i just don't they they're good enough at this point to take it unless like i said earlier everything goes right for them. it seems like a pattern every year lately where nobody pays the spurs any attention, and then people stop sleeping on them just in time to see their season end in disappointing fashion. at this point it just feels like the spurs season is scripted to end before the finals once again. they're a good team don't get me wrong but i don't think they are quite good enough to get over the hump and make it out of the west let alone beat miami if they come out of the east like i expect.

out of the 3 2nd tier teams that i think have an outside shot i'd put them in this order:

clippers
spurs
celtics

thats just my opinion...

I don't necessarily agree, especially about about the Clippers as they too have to get accustomed to playing with one another and staying healthy, but I respect your opinion!

We shall see what happens

PleaseBeNice
11-03-2012, 07:05 PM
JB creating threads just for fun

JordansBulls
11-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Tim Duncan looks like he has found the fountain of youth.:)