PDA

View Full Version : Would you want your star to hustle like mad or preserve stamina/durability?

Chronz
11-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Say you had a choice between 2 comparable players except that 1 hustled for every loose ball, never gave an inch to the opposition and just took an all out beating. The consequence is that he has a shorter career but happens to get more out of his talent in lets say a 12 year run.

Or would you rather have a guy who didn't sacrifice his body for the team, and while he didn't try to go full bore to win every game he ends up lasting 16-18 years in the NBA.

b@llhog24
11-02-2012, 01:32 PM
The latter. Leave hustling for the role players. I only really appreciate star plays hustling in the playoffs/key plays.

RonE Coleman
11-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Isn't there already a Larry Bird vs Kobe Bryant thread? Go away with your subliminal thread, too easy to see right through it

Joshtd1
11-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I love what Manu brings because he is always hustling, and he makes huge impacts on games...however due to the level of play, it just seems his body can't handle it so he is always injured. A mixture of both if possible I suppose..

Chronz
11-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Isn't there already a Larry Bird vs Kobe Bryant thread? Go away with your subliminal thread, too easy to see right through it
The idea behind this thread can hold true for alot of players and Im more interested in the fundamental meaning behind the question than I am about knowing if you prefer Bird to Kobe. Lots of people dont want to enter a thread about Kobe vs Bird so you shouldnt be telling me what to do.

RonE Coleman
11-02-2012, 01:51 PM
The idea behind this thread can hold true for alot of players and Im more interested in the fundamental meaning behind the question than I am about knowing if you prefer Bird to Kobe. Lots of people dont want to enter a thread about Kobe vs Bird so you shouldnt be telling me what to do.

Yeah okay... yet you make it blatantly obvious thats what you are referring to.

Cal827
11-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Kobe Bryant.

Raph12
11-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Seeming as how I'm usually the one watching other guys dive for loose balls, I'll take the latter... I don't think it's worth potential injury to be putting that much on the line for a regular game; the playoffs are a whole different ball game though.

THE GIPPER
11-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Bird

Ebbs
11-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Leave it all on that floor every night. Even if your career ended early you can say you fought every night.

Greedy22
11-02-2012, 02:36 PM
I want the guy who is gonna last longer and preserve his body for the postseason.

Greedy22
11-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Way too much crying in here, answer the question or don't even post in here lol.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Way too much crying in here, answer the question or don't even post in here lol.
The guy in your sig.

JasonJohnHorn
11-02-2012, 02:44 PM
I'll take Larry Bird's 12 years over Kobe's 18... at least I won't have to worry about him missing games due to court appearances, and he won't run any franchise players out of town because he's not mature enough to share the ball.

In all seriousness, I look at a guy like Michael Jordan, Jason Kidd and Dennis Rodman, and they all hustled every play while they were on the court and they all had reletively long careers. I mean, Jordan retired a couple of times, but Kidd is almost 40 and he's stil playing. Jordan was still playing at an All-Star level at the age of 39. Dennis Rodman was still the best rebounder in the league and one of the best defenders at 36, and likely cuold have played a little longer if he wasn't so distracted due to personal issues. Garnett likewise hustles every play and he's playing well into his late 30's now.

Duncan, when you think about him, he seems like a guy that paces himself, but he tries to make it count every play.

I don't think you have to give up the hustle to get the long career. But if I had to choose one, I'll take the guy that hustles. A guy like Garnett, his hustle is contagious. If you have the best player on your team not busting his balls on the floor, the guys around him are going to notice. Certain guys will always hustle, but others guys adopt the attitude of the people around them. like last season, D-Will was going on about players laughing in the locker room about losing so much, and he was not cool with that. If you are laughing about losing, you don't care enough.

Anyways.. I'm rambling as I usually do... I'll take the All-Star the hustles, then I never have to wonder IF we could have won, I'll know that he left everythign on the court and that we did as best we could.

Greedy22
11-02-2012, 02:44 PM
The guy in your sig.

:love: :hi5:

Greedy22
11-02-2012, 02:49 PM
I'll take Larry Bird's 12 years over Kobe's 18... at least I won't have to worry about him missing games due to court appearances, and he won't run any franchise players out of town because he's not mature enough to share the ball.
In all seriousness, I look at a guy like Michael Jordan, Jason Kidd and Dennis Rodman, and they all hustled every play while they were on the court and they all had reletively long careers. I mean, Jordan retired a couple of times, but Kidd is almost 40 and he's stil playing. Jordan was still playing at an All-Star level at the age of 39. Dennis Rodman was still the best rebounder in the league and one of the best defenders at 36, and likely cuold have played a little longer if he wasn't so distracted due to personal issues. Garnett likewise hustles every play and he's playing well into his late 30's now.

Duncan, when you think about him, he seems like a guy that paces himself, but he tries to make it count every play.

I don't think you have to give up the hustle to get the long career. But if I had to choose one, I'll take the guy that hustles. A guy like Garnett, his hustle is contagious. If you have the best player on your team not busting his balls on the floor, the guys around him are going to notice. Certain guys will always hustle, but others guys adopt the attitude of the people around them. like last season, D-Will was going on about players laughing in the locker room about losing so much, and he was not cool with that. If you are laughing about losing, you don't care enough.

Anyways.. I'm rambling as I usually do... I'll take the All-Star the hustles, then I never have to wonder IF we could have won, I'll know that he left everythign on the court and that we did as best we could.

Shaq was dealt because Buss didn't wanna pay him a fat contract knowing his body was breaking down.

Yeah, Kidd is 40 and ****ing awful now...should've hung them up 4-5 years ago.

You're talking about the GOAT, not fair lol.

Garnett while still a damn good ball player is not what he once was.

JasonJohnHorn
11-02-2012, 02:51 PM
JasonJohnHorn, el hidalgo and now Chronz.

All notorious for the "mystery player" thread, which always (indirectly) is about Kobe Bryant.

Kobe Bryant will haunt you haters even long after he retires.

Haters can't get enough of Kobe's Black Mamba.

Keep slurping away haters! :laugh2:

I respect Kobe's game and freely admit he's the second best SG in the history of the game and I have to hear it from the Heat fans every time I say Kobe is still better than Wade, but I still say it, because I believe it. I just don't think Kobe is on the same level as Bird and Magic and Jordan. Those three guys are all on another level. They are equals in my book, and Kobe is just not on that level.

And yes, I don't like Kobe as a person. He's arogant and on the court he's a ball hog and takes too many shots. If he was more like Magic and Bird, his scoring average would be a little lower, his assists would be higher, he'd have a better assist-to-turnover ration and, he'd have more MVPs and rings. I like a certain style of game. I love Duncan and I love Stockton. Those to guys, for me, are the epitomy of what basketball should stive to be. the guys who put up circus shots to make the highlight reel don't impress me. Kobe has grown and matured as a player, but he just doesn't have what Magic and Bird had in terms of being able to facilitate and make the players around them better. My personal opinion of him doesn't blind me to what he does on the court. I recognize his greatness. But again, I mean, i got to watch Bird and Magic play, and Thomas and Jordan, and Stockton and Hakeem... how impressed do you want me to be wit Kobe?

I don't like LBJ for leaving Cleveland but it doesn't change the fact that he is the best basketball player on the planet.

Also, I don't get the impression that this is actually a Kobe vs. Bird thread, because I get the impression that Kobe is one of the players that hustles on every play and has played long.... but I'll still take Bird over Kobe.

JiffyMix88
11-02-2012, 02:54 PM
i like players like noah rose nash and players of this nature the ones that leave it on the floor give every ounce they got not players like rondo kobe who pout and play dirty instead of the right way

Chacarron
11-02-2012, 03:21 PM
But how many titles do they win without an asterisk next to them? No bias by the way.

StarvingKnick22
11-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Durability.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-02-2012, 03:41 PM
i think it depends on the talent around him, like for instance, last year for the heat, i wanted bron to utilize everything and hustle because we needed him to. (with wade injured and bosh injured in the playoffs)

so it really depends on the talent on the squad

Money_23
11-02-2012, 05:14 PM
lol lots of deleted posts, I wonder what they all typed.

I think you wouldn't go wrong with either one.
In Bird's case, your team will need rebuilding sooner than with Kobe. So it really depends on the team/supporting casts as well. If you have a good enough team around the more durable guy, then you can sustain the core of team and team chemistry for a long time.

Alayla
11-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Sounds like AI and kobe when i think about it and Id take the shorter carrered hustle player its just much more exciting to wacth somone leave it on the floor

Chronz
11-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Yeah okay... yet you make it blatantly obvious thats what you are referring to.
Even if you have a point, so? Im not referring to any particular player, Im simply using something that came to mind when I was reflecting on that comparison. I dont see why your so gung ho about this, your really trying to make something out of nothing. I cant even tell what your mad about.

Chronz
11-02-2012, 05:39 PM
LOL at all the modded posts, really wish I knew what I missed out on.

JordansBulls
11-02-2012, 07:19 PM
If they are in there primes, I want them to hustle like crazy. If they are older then I want them to conserve there stamina as we will depend on them later on in the game when they may not have energy if they were running around like crazy.

Kashmir13579
11-02-2012, 07:21 PM
I would rather my star play like Gerald Wallace than Carmelo.

KnicksorBust
11-02-2012, 07:30 PM
I don't want my star player diving into the crowd. That's why there are Reggie Evans types in the world.

Sactown
11-02-2012, 07:51 PM
If they are in there primes, I want them to hustle like crazy. If they are older then I want them to conserve there stamina as we will depend on them later on in the game when they may not have energy if they were running around like crazy. I agree with JB, it's about being smart with your body, and the coach managing your minutes correctly. No need to dive for balls in garbage time.