PDA

View Full Version : Is Kobe.............

dh144498
11-02-2012, 11:33 AM
the only one of the all time greats who is constantly belittled and discredited for what he has accomplished throughout his career?

Things I constantly see:

MVP - "it was a consolation prize for being in the league for so long and being a team cancer. It was given to him because everyone felt sorry for him, but he never truly deserved an MVP, EVER."

FMVP - "Kobe was a sidekick to Pau Gasol, who was clearly the best player in 2010 and literally carried the Lakers and especially Kobe to his 5th championship. Kobe has always been bailed out and carried by his teammates, he was never clearly the best player on his team in any championship runs. and in 2009 Kobe and Gasol was 1b/1b."

Honors - "Kobe never deserved any of his All NBA awards/1st Defense awards outside of 2000. He was given the rest due to his reputation."

championships - "Kobe literally got bailed out by Shaq, Fisher, Rick Fox, and crew, he was lucky to have everyone on his team. Then he didnt win jack until Lakers got another one of the most stacked rosters in NBA history and was once again carried to his last 2 championships."

81 points - "against one of the worst teams in NBA history, terrible defense, terrible everything. This doesn't even count."

When all else fails, just resort to: "Kobe's a rapist."

The amount of crap this guy gets and endures is remarkable.... :facepalm:

mightybosstone
11-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Okay.... Can someone PLEASE stop all these Kobe threads from popping up? This is the fourth ****ing Kobe thread on the front page of the NBA forum and there's just no excuse for this. Either discuss your Kobe points in one of the other threads or take this to the Lakers forum, because this is getting completely ridiculous.

asandhu23
11-02-2012, 11:49 AM
What Chamberlain got was much much worse.

KnicksorBust
11-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Yeah LeBron never got any abuse from the media and fans. :rolleyes:

In this modern era, EVERYONE is under the microscope. I can only imagine how Jordan's aggressive, teammate punching, style would have been received in the twitter universe. When the Jordan Rules came out people were shocked.

The only way to avoid the scrutiny is to love the game, be squeeky clean and never come into camp out of shape. Hi Kevin Durant and Tim Duncan. :)

natelpete
11-02-2012, 11:53 AM
I think we have enough Kobe threads at the moment

Swashcuff
11-02-2012, 11:54 AM
It's called putting Kobe's career in perspective. I've never seen anyone say that about Kobe's 81 point game though if they did they're are truly dumbasses.

Swashcuff
11-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Yeah LeBron never got any abuse from the media and fans. :rolleyes:

In this modern era, EVERYONE is under the microscope. I can only imagine how Jordan's aggressive, teammate punching, style would have been received in the twitter universe. When the Jordan Rules came out people were shocked.

The only way to avoid the scrutiny is to love the game, be squeeky clean and never come into camp out of shape. Hi Kevin Durant and Tim Duncan. :)

Well let's close the thread now why don't we.

Mods KoB basically said all that needs to be said. OP PM KoB for anymore information on your topic.

ManRam
11-02-2012, 11:58 AM
I think you're getting a little confused as to what the actual criticism towards him is.

Poor Kobe. He's got it so hard!

Ebbs
11-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Most of what you said is true though. I admit PSD is hard on Kobe but PSD Laker fans made it this way as well. It's threads like these that people find more reasons to hate him.

He is still a top 10 player all time. So it's not like I'm ignoring his accomplishments.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-02-2012, 12:02 PM
i just dont like it that whenever you try and view kobe from an objective point of view, you are viewed as a hater. me personally, i have never used or said anything that the OP suggested, because i respect kobe.

nowadays it is tough having a normal conversation about any of the superstars without having a conflict with extremists from both sides of the coin.

Andrew32
11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
-nvm

JasonJohnHorn
11-02-2012, 12:24 PM
"the only one of the all time greats who is constantly belittled and discredited for what he has accomplished throughout his career?"

Lots of players get belittled. People have called out James for leaving Cleveland, as an example, but guys like Wilt and Russell get dismissed because the 'era' they played in.

"MVP - "it was a consolation prize for being in the league for so long and being a team cancer. It was given to him because everyone felt sorry for him, but he never truly deserved an MVP, EVER.""

I don't hear people saying that at all. Kobe deserved the MVP award. Each season there are several players deserving of it. The year Kobe won, he deserved it. Obvioulsy the MVP voting is subjective, so there will always be people who believe somebody else should have won. I thinks statistically LBJ had a better season that year and was likely the best player in the NBA that year, but Kobe had the better team. People define the award differently, so people end up with different choices. The year Kobe won, CP3 lead the league in winshares I think, LBJ put up better all-around stats, and Kevin Garnett was seen by many as the biggest reason the Celtics had the biggest turnaround in league history. so yes, there are people who don't think Kobe should have gotten the award that year, and many of them have a solid arguement. That said, there were other years where other players won the MVP where Kobe had a solid case.

"FMVP - "Kobe was a sidekick to Pau Gasol, who was clearly the best player in 2010 and literally carried the Lakers and especially Kobe to his 5th championship. Kobe has always been bailed out and carried by his teammates, he was never clearly the best player on his team in any championship runs. and in 2009 Kobe and Gasol was 1b/1b.""

The finals MVP usually goes to whoever scores the most points. Gasol shot at a higher percentage than Kobe abd he was the best rebounder on the team. For some people, that means Gasol has a case for FMVP. Anybody can score a lot of points if they shoot a lot. Did Kobe deserve the FMVP? Yes, but there is a case for Pau Gasol as well, though I personally think it is a weak case despite the fact that Kobe shot at a low percentage because Kobe also rebounded the ball very well that series. I don't know anybody who actually thinks Gasol carried Kobe to his 4tha dn 5th championship. Would LA have won without Pau? No. But likewise they would not have won without Kobe. Where as with Shaq... I think the Lakers still would have won at least two of the titles.

"Honors - "Kobe never deserved any of his All NBA awards/1st Defense awards outside of 2000. He was given the rest due to his reputation.""
His All-NBA awards he deserved. Is All-Defense... not so much. He is not as great a defender as some people say. Certainly nowhere near the level that Jordan was. I saw Miller light Kobe up in the finals, and Hamilton shot at a higher percentage against Kobe in the finals than he did in the regular season and scored a little more too it I remember right. Kobe doesn't "lock" players down the way Jordan did.

"championships - "Kobe literally got bailed out by Shaq, Fisher, Rick Fox, and crew, he was lucky to have everyone on his team. Then he didnt win jack until Lakers got another one of the most stacked rosters in NBA history and was once again carried to his last 2 championships.""

There was a time when it was Fisher and Horry hitting the game winners. It's true. I remember one shot Horry hit, Kobe jacked up a bad shot and bricked it, it popped out to Horry who hit the three to win the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_fhwqXmUMk&feature=related

So yeah, Kobe got bailed out by guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSnAvhvfniw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4DUjHUBXc

By Fox? No. By Horry? and Fisher? Yes. And by Shaq, because Shaq was the anchor fo that team and his high FG% made up for Kobe's low FG%. Let us be honest, Kobe is not the most efficient scorer of his generation let alone of all time.

"81 points - "against one of the worst teams in NBA history, terrible defense, terrible everything. This doesn't even count.""

I've never heard anybody say this? The Raptors weren't even the worst team in their division that season, let alone one of the worst teams in league history.

"When all else fails, just resort to: "Kobe's a rapist.""

He kinda brought that one on himself. Obviously, some people are put off by this, and for good reason.

Money_23
11-02-2012, 01:01 PM
the only one of the all time greats who is constantly belittled and discredited for what he has accomplished throughout his career?

Things I constantly see:

MVP - "it was a consolation prize for being in the league for so long and being a team cancer. It was given to him because everyone felt sorry for him, but he never truly deserved an MVP, EVER."

FMVP - "Kobe was a sidekick to Pau Gasol, who was clearly the best player in 2010 and literally carried the Lakers and especially Kobe to his 5th championship. Kobe has always been bailed out and carried by his teammates, he was never clearly the best player on his team in any championship runs. and in 2009 Kobe and Gasol was 1b/1b."

Honors - "Kobe never deserved any of his All NBA awards/1st Defense awards outside of 2000. He was given the rest due to his reputation."

championships - "Kobe literally got bailed out by Shaq, Fisher, Rick Fox, and crew, he was lucky to have everyone on his team. Then he didnt win jack until Lakers got another one of the most stacked rosters in NBA history and was once again carried to his last 2 championships."

81 points - "against one of the worst teams in NBA history, terrible defense, terrible everything. This doesn't even count."

those things sound ridiculous, but unfortunately some people actually say it....

Chronz
11-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Well do you have any argument for why they are belittling him and not just being truthful? The MVP argument is the easiest to pick out, at the time I was glad that Kobe got it because it would be a shame for such a great player to miss out on at least one, Im a romantic at heart but there is no denying that it was a career achievement award for him. Just like when Doc finally won an MVP, people just wanted to reward him for all hes meant and done for the game. I dont mind those kind of gifts but I recognize the meaning behind it. What argument is there for Kobe as the MVP? From everything Ive read the only argument people can come up with is that he beat CP3 for the best record in the league by 1 measly game despite a drastic disparity in talent/production. Forgive us if we aren't swayed by that, its even more hilarious when you talk to kobephiles who actually believe the final game they played against each other was the game that decided who wins MVP, whats sad is that there may be a lot of truth in that but its still foolish to base a regular season MVP on 1 game.

nickdymez
11-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Its mostly just PSD and these insane stat clowns who base ones carrer off advanced stats, not accomplishments.

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-02-2012, 01:11 PM

Things I constantly see:

Yes he is the amount of disrespect he gets is amazing, I've never seen anything like it, but it's psd what do u expect almost everyone is either 15 or under or they are a big fan of a player that Kobe is close to surpassing or is always being compared to and that's why they hate him

lakers4sho
11-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Okay.... Can someone PLEASE stop all these Kobe threads from popping up? This is the fourth ****ing Kobe thread on the front page of the NBA forum and there's just no excuse for this. Either discuss your Kobe points in one of the other threads or take this to the Lakers forum, because this is getting completely ridiculous.

Well you started it...

lakers4sho
11-02-2012, 01:12 PM

ie. a mindless PC robot

Hardaway Here
11-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Some of the stuff you listed isn't even about him being belittled legit arguments have been put up for for a few of those topics. It's called having an opinion not everyone has to agree with everything Kobe has accomplished just leave it alone and don't worry about it. Cuz guess what Kobe doesn't care

Raidaz4Life
11-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Eh, I see both sides. I agree he is probably the most controversial great of all time, but I still think he warranted a lot of it. That being said there are plenty of people here that fail to acknowledge what Kobe has brought to the game over his career. He really was the true successor to MJ and I think a lot of people have always felt threatened by that. That's not to say he was as good or had as big of an impact because neither is true... he is however the closest thing we have seen to MJ since he left and probably will be for quite some time.

I have the biggest love/hate relationship for Kobe. I quite honestly cannot stand him in comparison to most of the all time greats. If you asked me to build a team around any one player in history he would be quite a ways down the list, but at the same time his skill set didn't always translate into the most eye popping stats and it really wouldn't be a reach to suggest he was a top 5 talent to ever play the game. He is just an egomaniac and that has both helped and hurt him throughout his career.

The thing about Kobe is he probably would be recognized as a much better player if he didn't always put so much focus into being what he thought was a great player.

Money_23
11-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Eh, I see both sides. I agree he is probably the most controversial great of all time, but I still think he warranted a lot of it. That being said there are plenty of people here that fail to acknowledge what Kobe has brought to the game over his career. He really was the true successor to MJ and I think a lot of people have always felt threatened by that. That's not to say he was as good or had as big of an impact because neither is true... he is however the closest thing we have seen to MJ since he left and probably will be for quite some time.

I have the biggest love/hate relationship for Kobe. I quite honestly cannot stand him in comparison to most of the all time greats. If you asked me to build a team around any one player in history he would be quite a ways down the list, but at the same time his skill set didn't always translate into the most eye popping stats and it really wouldn't be a reach to suggest he was a top 5 talent to ever play the game. He is just an egomaniac and that has both helped and hurt him throughout his career.

The thing about Kobe is he probably would be recognized as a much better player if he didn't always put so much focus into being what he thought was a great player.

very well said.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Kobe Bryant.

P Harvy
11-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Well first off Kobe has only 2 FMVPs with 5 rings?? I mean that should tell you something right there. And thats not even to mention that Pau was the better player in the finals in 2009-2010 season. Without a doubt in my mind Kobe should only have 1 FMVP with 5 rings.. I mean that ain't a great percentage.

Number 2, he is a rapist so people just have to deal with that. You can't defend that at all.

Number 3, Kobe shoots a lot so does an 81 point game surprise me? No.

Number 4, Kobe arguably should have never won an MVP award.

Number 5, Kobes defense has been extremely overrated throughout his entire career.

And look he played with arguably one of the best centers the game has ever seen when Shaq was in the prime of his career.. Would Kobe had won those championship without Shaq? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Would Kobe have won those championships without Gasol?? Absolutely NOT.

Kobe is one of the most overrated players on this forum due to the mass amount of Laker fans who patrol this area. He's a top 15 player all time imo but could have been a lot better if he wasn't such a cancer.

rickshaw
11-02-2012, 03:01 PM
MVP- It can be ARGUED that each season he wasn't an MVP. Most agree he should have one, probably over Nash, and CP3 should have the one Kobe got. Just because you were the best player over a decade, doesn't mean you had the best season in any year.

FMVP- It's given out for those 4-7 games, not just to who was the better player on the team. It can be easily argued Pau was better in the Finals, don't see your point here. Nobody says they were 1a/1b all year, but in the finals they were.

Honors: Most of the defensive teams are usually wrong and like to pick big names. Goes for everyone, not just Kobe.

Championships: Only really brought out in MJ/Kobe/Lebron debates. Mj was the clear alpha dog for all 6, with good surrounding help and other HOFers (Pippen, Rodman). Lebron was the clear alpha dog in his 2012 run with good surrounding help (Wade, Bosh). Kobe wasn't the clear #1 and most would say Shaq was for the first 3. Every star that has won a championship has had good help (Shaq, the Pau,Bynum,Artest). Surrounding cast is a dumb argument, since any of the players you compare with chips will have them. It's why comparing championships is dumb, one player can only do so much.

81 points- who cares?

Money_23
11-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Well first off Kobe has only 2 FMVPs with 5 rings?? I mean that should tell you something right there. And thats not even to mention that Pau was the better player in the finals in 2009-2010 season. Without a doubt in my mind Kobe should only have 1 FMVP with 5 rings.. I mean that ain't a great percentage.

Number 2, he is a rapist so people just have to deal with that. You can't defend that at all.

Number 5, Kobes defense has been extremely overrated throughout his entire career.

And look he played with arguably one of the best centers the game has ever seen when Shaq was in the prime of his career.. Would Kobe had won those championship without Shaq? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Would Kobe have won those championships without Gasol?? Absolutely NOT.

Kobe is one of the most overrated players on this forum due to the mass amount of Laker fans who patrol this area. He's a top 15 player all time imo but could have been a lot better if he wasn't such a cancer.

how very insightful. Just throwing claims out there without anything to back itup. You must be speaking the truth. You, sir, is one of the reasons why this thread was made.

rickshaw
11-02-2012, 03:04 PM

#2 - Stop Trolling

#3 - He shot a high percentage that game, it's a classic no matter who did it.

#4 - yes

#5 - He has been a very good defender his whole prime, and the defensive teams are given to stars who can defend above average.

Would Jordan have won without Pippen? Magic without Kareem? Bird without Mchale?

P Harvy
11-02-2012, 03:05 PM
how very insightful. Just throwing claims out there without anything to back itup. You must be speaking the truth.

Lol some claims are just not worth the time to back up. I'll have my opinion. You can have yours.

It really doesn't matter to me to try and defend such opinions cause at the end of the day it will just be a waste of time.

Money_23
11-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Lol some claims are just not worth the time to back up. I'll have my opinion. You can have yours.

It really doesn't matter to me to try and defend such opinions cause at the end of the day it will just be a waste of time.

so raping someone is now an opinion? It's a waste of time expressing such an opinion without good reasoning and logic because you are just saying garbage.

P Harvy
11-02-2012, 03:07 PM
#2 - Stop Trolling

#3 - He shot a high percentage that game, it's a classic no matter who did it.

#4 - yes

#5 - He has been a very good defender his whole prime, and the defensive teams are given to stars who can defend above average.

Would Jordan have won without Pippen? Magic without Kareem? Bird without Mchale?

It was a classic. I'm not going to take that game away from him.

Jordan was better than Pippen. Magic was better than Kareem. Bird was better than McHale. You just named three guys who had great sidekicks.

The difference was that Kobe was Shaqs sidekick.

I'll give him the two titles with Pau tho. That's fine.

P Harvy
11-02-2012, 03:07 PM
so raping someone is now an opinion?

No, you're right, it's a fact lol.

Money_23
11-02-2012, 03:08 PM
No, you're right, it's a fact lol.

facts are proven by evidence. Tell me where's the evidence?
Kids......

Quinnsanity
11-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Can we ban kobe threads? I'm sick of these things.

P Harvy
11-02-2012, 03:09 PM
facts are proven by evidence. Tell me where's the evidence?
Kids......

When you got boatloads of money its easy to make things go away
Kids......

Money_23
11-02-2012, 03:11 PM
When you got boatloads of money its easy to make things go away
Kids......

says the 15 year old with a 8 year old brain. You have a alot of imagination. Rape isn't something you just throw out there to insult someone for fun, you better be sure it's true or else you'll just look like an idiot.

P Harvy
11-02-2012, 03:14 PM
says the 15 year old with a 8 year old brain. You have a alot of imagination. Rape isn't something you just throw out there to insult someone for fun, you better be sure it's true or else you'll just look like an idiot.

How did you know I was 15? Man you really got me!!

But you do realize you idiotic you just made yourself look? It's quite ironic how you're going to say that rape isn't something you throw around yet you go and insult me by calling me 15 years old with an 8 year old brain...

I didn't insult you ever. I insulted Kobe. So stop trying to defend someone you don't even know. And guess whats worse? That you're defending a bad human being. Congrats tho. It's time I remove myself from this thread.

Hawkeye15
11-02-2012, 03:15 PM
I mean, he is one of the more polarizing athletes of this generation, so his fans fight so hard for him. Fact is, many critics simply speak the truth, whether it be bringing up his so called "clutch" time numbers that paint a different light, or bringing up his production versus the other top 10 players ever, and showing longevity is why he is there, not because his peak was with theirs.

His fans fight for him. Here, in the media, all over the world. And they do it blindly many times, like you would your sibling.

Besides, like LeBron James hasn't dealt with, oh, I don't know, 1000000000000000000 times as much criticism? Stop being so sensitive.

mngopher35
11-02-2012, 03:16 PM
At first I thought people needed to get off the lakers back with all of these threads etc. Now after seeing their responses to everything and homer attitudes I kind of get why people here are acting how they are. You cant be serious with this? The answer is no, the past few years Lebron has easily been the most scrutinized basketball player in the NBA. I agree that many things people claim about Kobe are ridiculous but they do the same thing to all stars. Every star player and all time great has a few haters out there.

Money_23
11-02-2012, 03:19 PM
How did you know I was 15? Man you really got me!!

But you do realize you idiotic you just made yourself look? It's quite ironic how you're going to say that rape isn't something you throw around yet you go and insult me by calling me 15 years old with an 8 year old brain...

I didn't insult you ever. I insulted Kobe. So stop trying to defend someone you don't even know. And guess whats worse? That you're defending a bad human being. Congrats tho. It's time I remove myself from this thread.

This is the new generation of kids we're dealing with.... Idk you are a 15 or an 8 year old, but as time progresses, you seem to be like a 2 year old who can only cry about things he can't deal with.
Read your post again and see how hypocritical you are. "Stop trying to defend someone you don't even know," but it's ok for you to insult someone you don't even know? How do you know Kobe's a bad human being? The very fact that you still keep regurgitating that rape case 10 years later after it was proved that he was innocent really shows your immaturity, that of a 2 year old. You aren't even worthy enough to be 8.

You must feel really accomplished to insult someone you know nothing about. If that's one's of your goals in life and it makes you happy, then good luck.

Just run away from your problems because I just ethered you.

P Harvy
11-02-2012, 03:22 PM
This is the new generation of kids we're dealing with.... Idk you are a 15 or an 8 year old, but as time progresses, you seem to be like a 2 year old who can only cry about things he can't deal with.
Read your post again and see how hypocritical you are. "Stop trying to defend someone you don't even know," but it's ok for you to insult someone you don't even know? How do you know Kobe's a bad human being? The very fact that you still keep regurgitating that rape case 10 years later after it was proved that he was innocent really shows your immaturity, that of a 2 year old. You aren't even worthy enough to be 8.

Just run away from your problems because I just ethered you.

Haha I love tough boy talk on the internet.

I can insult someone who has a history of being a bad person. Just talk to his teammates. Usually when you're a good person there isn't anything bad to say about someone but when you have a history of questionable instances then I can come to a conclusion.

I must be a damn smart 2 year old if I can type this well.

Hawkeye15
11-02-2012, 03:22 PM
At first I thought people needed to get off the lakers back with all of these threads etc. Now after seeing their responses to everything and homer attitudes I kind of get why people here are acting how they are. You cant be serious with this? The answer is no, the past few years Lebron has easily been the most scrutinized basketball player in the NBA. I agree that many things people claim about Kobe are ridiculous but they do the same thing to all stars. Every star player and all time great has a few haters out there.

exactly. Difference is, now was have the internet, chat boards, insider, etc. Stars have been crapped on forever.

mightybosstone
11-02-2012, 03:55 PM
You know what would have been a much better thread? If the title had been "Is Kobe..." and then the first post had been "...a rapist?" I would lol'd and then given some serious props to OP for that. This thread is a much bigger disappointment.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-02-2012, 04:24 PM
:dance: Amnesty Kobe! :dance:

nickdymez
11-02-2012, 04:35 PM

lol@ this post

KingPosey
11-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Kobe was not bailed out by his teammates in the early 3peat. As a kings fan I can tell you he was destroying people with absolutely crippling shots

naps
11-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Threads like this doesn't help either. Kobephiles at one hand overrate the **** out of him but can't handle when it comes from another direction. Stop being so sensitive.

Bullsfan22
11-02-2012, 05:02 PM
I mean, he is one of the more polarizing athletes of this generation, so his fans fight so hard for him. Fact is, many critics simply speak the truth, whether it be bringing up his so called "clutch" time numbers that paint a different light, or bringing up his production versus the other top 10 players ever, and showing longevity is why he is there, not because his peak was with theirs.

His fans fight for him. Here, in the media, all over the world. And they do it blindly many times, like you would your sibling.

Besides, like LeBron James hasn't dealt with, oh, I don't know, 1000000000000000000 times as much criticism? Stop being so sensitive.

This. And people seem to forget that LeBron has basically been a class act off the court. His most critiqued action was the "decision" and even then he was giving the proceeds to the Boys and Girls club.

IKnowHoops
11-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Kobe should of gotten the mvp the year nash won his second. Other than that he really never deserved the MVP. I think Kobe's biggest enemy is himself. He'd rather look good and loose than look bad and win more than any other player in history.

My all time starting five would be-

Magic
Mike
Lebron
Duncan or Olajuwan or D. Robinson
Shaq

or

Lebron
Mike
Kobe
Duncan or Olajuwan or D. Robinson
Shaq