PDA

View Full Version : Who would you start your franchise with?

chicagocubsfan
11-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Who would you start your franchise with if you had a choice?
J. Wall
Ty Lawson
Steph Curry
Jrue Holiday
Tyreke Evans
Brandon Knight
Damian Lilliard
Brandon Jennings

PurpleJesus
11-01-2012, 11:04 PM
I dont really like any of the options...I mean, those are a lot of good players, but no superstar type guy in that group.

Out of these options, I choose Wall.

chicagocubsfan
11-01-2012, 11:05 PM
I dont really like any of the options...I mean, those are a lot of good players, but no superstar type guy in that group.

Out of these options, I choose Wall.

Yeah that was kind of the point lol. :D

Eg714
11-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Without the injuries I would take steph curry hands down.

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Lawson's the best, most consistent player on this list, so I went with him. Lillard would have been my second choice based on how impressive his offseason and debut were. I think he might have the most potential of any player on this list. Wall and Curry are two guys who I keep waiting to break out, but Curry's ankles seem to be made of paper mache and Wall still can't hit an outside shot or stop turning the ball over.

Holiday is a very good player, but I don't think he has crazy potential. I think he's a 15/8 type guy who could be a No. 3 on a contending team and play great defense. And Jennings just isn't an NBA point guard. He's a high volume scorer who would probably be best suited as a 6th man than a starter. Evans isn't either. He's just flat out terrible, and I'd let him walk if I were Sacramento.

And I have no idea yet about Brandon Knight, but I sure has hell wouldn't take him over anyone on this list aside from maybe Evans.

ShockerArt
11-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Until I see more of Lilliard, it has to be Wall.

Swashcuff
11-01-2012, 11:31 PM
John Wall with relative ease for me. I'd look at the player with the most potential and John Wall is exactly that IMO. Once he can stay healthy he can be a legit 20, 8 and 5 type PG with quality D.

I remember last off season in all the summer league games John Wall was making sooo much noise everyone was saying he looked like he's ready to break out. One bad season and his potential is forgotten. Not on my part though.

Quinnsanity
11-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Lillard. You have him locked up to a 4 year rookie deal and he has the highest potential (except for Wall). Wouldn't build a team around any of them, but Lillard's my choice.

RonE Coleman
11-02-2012, 12:40 AM
Ty Lawson's by far the best player on this list, too bad curry is never healthy.

Guppyfighter
11-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Curry is actually the best player, he has the most injury concerns.

RonE Coleman
11-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Curry is actually the best player, he has the most injury concerns.

Debateable, there 1 and 2 but Lawson is much more consistent and doesn't break his ankle every other week

Guppyfighter
11-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Debateable, there 1 and 2 but Lawson is much more consistent and doesn't break his ankle every other week

It's pretty not debatable. Curry puts the best stats on the floor when he plays. Only reason to consider taking Lawsom is there is no injury concerns.

Bramaca
11-02-2012, 12:54 AM
PG and combo guard are the last holes I would look to fill if starting a franchise. So I would probably trade whoever got the best wing player or big man.

IgglesFanInCO
11-02-2012, 01:00 AM
Lawson has more upside than people give him credit for, but hes also actually as inconsistent as most of the guys on this list its just not as obvious

RonE Coleman
11-02-2012, 01:02 AM
It's pretty not debatable. Curry puts the best stats on the floor when he plays. Only reason to consider taking Lawsom is there is no injury concerns.

Injuries at a young age are a major concern tho. You'd rather the guy with a a slightly higher upside but you know has a ton of injury problems?

Gagan136
11-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Wall and then Curry

Baller1
11-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Curry or Lawson for me.

RonE Coleman
11-02-2012, 01:04 AM
People really saying wall? Come on now, all flash. Give me Lawson then curry without a shadow of a spubt

meloman1592
11-02-2012, 01:10 AM
Wall...too easy

naps
11-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Since this is a list of up and coming players I would take Wall over anyone without thinking twice. He has by far the most superstar potential on this list.

TO Rapz
11-02-2012, 01:15 AM
Kyle Lowry.

Swashcuff
11-02-2012, 08:32 AM
It's absolutely amazing how hyped one player can get after starting the season off well and having a solid preseason/summer.

We've seen one professional non exhibition game from Lillard and he's 3rd in votes. He's on the fast track to becoming one of the most overrated in the game.

Swashcuff
11-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Lillard. You have him locked up to a 4 year rookie deal and he has the highest potential (except for Wall). Wouldn't build a team around any of them, but Lillard's my choice.

Where does this highest potential come from? Curry has a chance to be one of the best shooters in the history of the league while being a quality volume scorer. This isn't just his potential the truth.

Chavacano
11-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Johnathan Hildred Wall Jr.

theheatles
11-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Considered Curry but I'm going with Wall

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-02-2012, 09:32 AM
def between 3 pgs imo
wall, curry, and lawson.

went with wall because dude was gettin 9 steals, 10 assists every other game during his rookie season before he got injured..

i really expect him to blossom once the wizards give him somethin to work with, and of course if he can stay healthy.

Ty Fast
11-02-2012, 09:50 AM
wall

yaswaggin
11-02-2012, 10:03 AM
lawson>curry>wall

ewing
11-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Cant believe the love Wall is getting. I don't think he ever puts it together to be honest. Anyway, injury free i would have taken Curry. He is flat baller but it doesn't seem like he'll get the chance to live up to his potential so i took lawson

yaswaggin
11-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Cant believe the love Wall is getting. I don't think he ever puts it together to be honest. Anyway, injury free i would have taken Curry. He is flat baller but it doesn't seem like he'll get the chance to live up to his potential so i took lawson

yeah i took lawson over curry due to curry's ankle problems too.

also lawson is extremely underrated, he is awesome.

looka09
11-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Wall,curry,lillard in that order

yaswaggin
11-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Wall,curry,lillard in that order

wall has a turnover problem and has yet to develop a consistent jumper, his game is all flash.

curry is a superior shooter and good distributor, hes second on my list, but would be first if he didnt have nagging injuries on his ankles.

lillard has played ONE game, you're all buying into the hype. give him a season before you hail him this highly.

JasonJohnHorn
11-02-2012, 10:41 AM
I went with Curry becuase he's such a great shooter. I can't believe Wall is in the lead right now. He is likely my last pick among this group. He cannot shoot the ball at all, not to mention his turnovers.

DanG
11-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Lillard or Lawson for me.

KnicksorBust
11-02-2012, 11:19 AM
John Wall with relative ease for me. I'd look at the player with the most potential and John Wall is exactly that IMO. Once he can stay healthy he can be a legit 20, 8 and 5 type PG with quality D.

I remember last off season in all the summer league games John Wall was making sooo much noise everyone was saying he looked like he's ready to break out. One bad season and his potential is forgotten. Not on my part though.

Spot on.

wall has a turnover problem and has yet to develop a consistent jumper, his game is all flash.

curry is a superior shooter and good distributor, hes second on my list, but would be first if he didnt have nagging injuries on his ankles.

lillard has played ONE game, you're all buying into the hype. give him a season before you hail him this highly.

Look at his team. Wall has the pedigree of the great PGs. The Isiah/KJ/Stick/Nate type of PG who can penetrate like a machine and creates easy looks for teammates. It's just damn hard when you're feedin the rock to Andray Blatche and Nick Young. With Nene and Beal... now he's got a chance. We'll see how he responds.

Twins Fanatic
11-02-2012, 11:31 AM
John Wall, I think he's the most talented on this list, the guys going to tear it up when he's back now that he has solid players around him.

mightybosstone
11-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Lillard or Lawson for me.
This guy gets it.

Look at his team. Wall has the pedigree of the great PGs. The Isiah/KJ/Stick/Nate type of PG who can penetrate like a machine and creates easy looks for teammates. It's just damn hard when you're feedin the rock to Andray Blatche and Nick Young. With Nene and Beal... now he's got a chance. We'll see how he responds.
But dude, his turnover problem and lack of a jump shot kill him compared to Lawson, who is the superior basketball player right now. And those aren't things that are just going to go away. Are his teammates awful? Yes. But that has nothing to do with why he's such an inefficient scorer and why he turns the ball over so much. Until I see a vast improvement in those two areas, he's probably third or fourth on my list of these players.

KnicksorBust
11-02-2012, 11:42 AM
But dude, his turnover problem and lack of a jump shot kill him compared to Lawson, who is the superior basketball player right now. And those aren't things that are just going to go away.

Tell that to Tony Parker who was nowhere near as talented as Wall when he entered the league.

Are his teammates awful? Yes. But that has nothing to do with why he's such an inefficient scorer and why he turns the ball over so much.

:laugh: What?!

Until I see a vast improvement in those two areas, he's probably third or fourth on my list of these players.

We value different skills. I like PGs that can penetrate (get to the foul line) and create easy baskets for my other scorers. I don't see a player on that list that does that better than Wall.

SINCESTARBURY25
11-02-2012, 11:45 AM
I take Melo

Swashcuff
11-02-2012, 11:46 AM
This guy gets it.

But dude, his turnover problem and lack of a jump shot kill him compared to Lawson, who is the superior basketball player right now. And those aren't things that are just going to go away. Are his teammates awful? Yes. But that has nothing to do with why he's such an inefficient scorer and why he turns the ball over so much. Until I see a vast improvement in those two areas, he's probably third or fourth on my list of these players.

Like KoB said... what?

mightybosstone
11-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Tell that to Tony Parker who was nowhere near as talented as Wall when he entered the league.
But Parker still isn't a good 3-point shooter! (And yes, I'm aware he hit big threes in back-to-back games, but those are anomalies, not the norm.)

:laugh: What?!
You can't entirely blame awful teammates for the fact that you can't hit a jump shot or that you're turning the ball over so much. Would his turnovers go down if he played with better players? Probably a little bit. But he isn't going to all of a sudden develop a jump shot and become a more efficient scorer.

We value different skills. I like PGs that can penetrate (get to the foul line) and create easy baskets for my other scorers. I don't see a player on that list that does that better than Wall.
But it doesn't matter that he's getting to the foul line that often, because it still doesn't offset the other aspects of his scoring, which are just awful. If he was getting to the line a lot and he wasn't shooting jump shots as much, then I wouldn't care that he can't he a 3-pointer or long 2s.

Here's a fun fact for you. According to 82games.com, 61% of Wall's shot attempts last season came on jump shots. How did he do on those attempts? He shot a wretched .313 EFG%. That completely discounts his ability to get to the rim and get the foul line, IMO. If he cuts back on his jump shots and sticks to what he does best, then he's got a chance to be an elite PG. But until he does those things, I'm taking Lawson and not thinking twice about it.

mightybosstone
11-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Like KoB said... what?

And like I just said in my previous post, better teammates don't make you a better jump shooter. If he played with better players, you'd probably see a slight improvement in those areas, but not monumental. And for a guy who was drafted No. 1 on a terrible team, he's expected to carry terrible players for a while, so I don't buy the "my teammates are the reason I'm not better" argument.

Swashcuff
11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
And like I just said in my previous post, better teammates don't make you a better jump shooter. If he played with better players, you'd probably see a slight improvement in those areas, but not monumental. And for a guy who was drafted No. 1 on a terrible team, he's expected to carry terrible players for a while, so I don't buy the "my teammates are the reason I'm not better" argument.

You're exactly right. It doesn't make him a better jump shooter. What it does however is allow him to get easier shots with the opposing offense focused more on the other players than just him. One needs to remember that when you are as quick and crafty as John Wall is not having a solid jumper is not going to hurt you a GREAT deal once your shot selection is good (something he vastly improved as last season went on).

I agree on the knock of him not being a good jump shooter as it is merited however his offensive efficiency will be impacted by the support he has around him.

*Silver&Black*
11-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Wall

RonE Coleman
11-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Lawson > Wall

KnickaBocka.44
11-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Wall gets a lot of love on here for a point guard who turns the ball over so much and can't shoot a lick...Give me Lawson.

RonE Coleman
11-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Ty lawson scores the same amount in less minutes per game on 49% shooting compared to John Walls 41% shooting.

Not to mention Lawson turns the ball over almost HALF the amount per game Wall does.

Is this really a question?

RonE Coleman
11-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Wall gets a lot of love on here for a point guard who turns the ball over so much and can't shoot a lick...Give me Lawson.

This exactly.

John wall is just another brandon jennings

blastmasta26
11-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Curry is my favorite on this list, but he's injured too much. That leaves Wall and Lawson. Lawson is better now, but Wall has star potential. However, there's a chance he might never reach his ceiling. So I'll take Lawson for now.

GoferKing_
11-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Curry has no D. Lillard has it all, slashing, shooting, passing, defence.

MrfadeawayJB
11-02-2012, 01:39 PM
How is Irving not on the list? I would say him. I'm tempted by Lilliard to be the #2 option after his awesome debut

chicagocubsfan
11-02-2012, 01:42 PM
How is Irving not on the list? I would say him. I'm tempted by Lilliard to be the #2 option after his awesome debut

I thought about it. But he seems to be a lock down franchise player compared to all of these guys on the list. It would be the obvious choice. In hindsight I don't why the **** I put Knight or Jennings on the list.

RonE Coleman
11-02-2012, 01:42 PM

Because there would be no point in a poll, you'd have to lack a brain if you chose anyone other than Kyrie. Think the OP was just excluding the obvious choices