PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan, most underrated player in the NBA?

Manimal
11-01-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm watching right now as this hits a bank shot on a fast break play gets the and one. Then battles for the boards and throws a full court touchdown pass for an easy 2 and then serves up a facial on Ibaka.

There is nothing he can't do. His unglamorous style and demeanor hardly gets him any media time. But shouldn't he? We should be waxing lyrical about this guy. He still dominates all over the floor, no matter the opponent. The NBA should be promoting him as the role model for future pros. Instead it's fixated on media guys and divas.

Duncan is easily the greatest PF of all time and still playing at a level that the young guys can only hope to reach in their prime.

69centers
11-01-2012, 10:49 PM
He's overrated as a PF because he's a center.

MrfadeawayJB
11-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Not sure anyone underates him. He has been very good for a very long time

Manimal
11-01-2012, 10:51 PM
He is a PF playing as a Center and still dominating. Makes him more underrated if you ask me.

Chronz
11-01-2012, 10:53 PM
You spit the truth. Duncan never got his due, even form the media. He should have been a multiple DPOY winner but because hes sooooo good offensively, people ignored his tremendous defensive impact.

PurpleJesus
11-01-2012, 10:53 PM
He is just as talented as he was 5 years ago...he just cant play those minutes anymore.

Bravo95
11-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Yes.

Swashcuff
11-01-2012, 11:01 PM
I can seriously agree to this. TD has become very underrated as he's fallen out of the superstar ranks.

Zefflin
11-01-2012, 11:07 PM
He's not underrated he's the GOAT, PF wise, IMO.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-01-2012, 11:13 PM
He's overrated as a PF because he's a center.

He can play both positions.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-01-2012, 11:14 PM
He'd still be considered a superstar if he was playing the 36 mins he would normally have played. He still has the ability to get near 20 and 10 when given the mins. His health can't support it though.

Swashcuff
11-01-2012, 11:33 PM
He's not underrated he's the GOAT, PF wise, IMO.

The way I see it is that the OP means in the league today as in the appreciation in which players get for their game right now.

Bramaca
11-02-2012, 12:29 AM
He is pretty much as dominant as he used to be, just doesn't play the minutes anymore. Parker and all the other players put up some good numbers but he is the main reason that SA is relevant every season.

JayW_1023
11-02-2012, 06:15 AM
He shouldda gotten at least one DPOY yes.

bagwell368
11-02-2012, 06:43 AM
Duncan is underrated no doubt.

Duncan has KG outpointed as best PF because:

Duncan has and uses his fine low post game. KG has one, but doesn't really like to go down on the blocks that much, in particular since he got older.

Duncan can easily play Center against most Centers in his time. KG can do the job for 5 minutes at a clip, but not the whole game - unless it's some smurf Center (most of the league last year in fact).

I don't use the titles argument because if you super impose KG's career onto SA, he wins as many or more than Duncan. It's an accident of the draft that Duncan went to a very fine team and KG went to pretty much the opposite.

Gotta give Duncan the edge in defense the first 2/3 of their careers - although since KG went to the Celts he's outplayed Duncan in that regard.

KG takes outside shooting and yes career value (more games too). Duncan takes the 10 year peak argument with ease.

ragee
11-02-2012, 06:44 AM
Isn't he regarded as the best pf in the nba? How is that being underrated?

Heediot
11-02-2012, 07:16 AM
He's putting up similar advanced numbers per 36 minutes as his prime. But he's clearly not the same beast demanding the attention on offense and being a anchor on D. So stats can mislead. I don't think anyone in their right mind would say he's the same Timmy as he was 8 years ago. He gets by on smarts and fundamentals.

I probably underrate him.

JayW_1023
11-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Duncan is underrated no doubt.

Duncan has KG outpointed as best PF because:

Duncan has and uses his fine low post game. KG has one, but doesn't really like to go down on the blocks that much, in particular since he got older.

Duncan can easily play Center against most Centers in his time. KG can do the job for 5 minutes at a clip, but not the whole game - unless it's some smurf Center (most of the league last year in fact).

I don't use the titles argument because if you super impose KG's career onto SA, he wins as many or more than Duncan. It's an accident of the draft that Duncan went to a very fine team and KG went to pretty much the opposite.

Gotta give Duncan the edge in defense the first 2/3 of their careers - although since KG went to the Celts he's outplayed Duncan in that regard.

KG takes outside shooting and yes career value (more games too). Duncan takes the 10 year peak argument with ease.

In head to head match ups, Duncan gets the better more often times than not.

11-02-2012, 07:41 AM
Isn't he regarded as the best pf in the nba? How is that being underrated?

because no-one rates him anymore when he is actually a dominant player, even now.

I agree cos u know what, i underrated him. To be honest i dont really watch many spurs games, and the general perception I've had for duncan is: he will be one of the greatest PF of all time, but his hay-day is over, he's getting old, and he can't play as many minutes as he used to, which means he's probably not as much of a force anymore. He's good, but not that good

oh... i was wrong. watched the game today, duncan isn't athletic, but boy he is stupidly skilled at that position. I was.. amazed.. how is this guy not talked about as much, easily top 3 pf, no jokes.. Not a spurs fan btw, incase the 'never watch spurs games' wasnt a big enough clue

Manimal
11-02-2012, 08:16 AM
because no-one rates him anymore when he is actually a dominant player, even now.

I agree cos u know what, i underrated him. To be honest i dont really watch many spurs games, and the general perception I've had for duncan is: he will be one of the greatest PF of all time, but his hay-day is over, he's getting old, and he can't play as many minutes as he used to, which means he's probably not as much of a force anymore. He's good, but not that good

oh... i was wrong. watched the game today, duncan isn't athletic, but boy he is stupidly skilled at that position. I was.. amazed.. how is this guy not talked about as much, easily top 3 pf, no jokes.. Not a spurs fan btw, incase the 'never watch spurs games' wasnt a big enough clue

This post right here is exactly what I'm talking about. Duncan can still go toe to toe with anyone in the league. But just doesn't get mentioned in the same breath as the others. People harp on about Blake Griffin, Kevin Love etc. But both of them can't influence a game like Duncan still does.

koreancabbage
11-02-2012, 08:24 AM
def not underrated. he's going to be regarded as one of the top PFs EVER to play this game. he won't get the respect he should get cuz he does his job quietly unlike these youngin's nowadays with their loudness.

Swashcuff
11-02-2012, 08:37 AM
I swear dudes can't understand context. The OP isn't talking about career he's talking about the way the player in viewed right now. Look at his post #20. Forget the player's past we're talking about the current.

Capital G
11-02-2012, 08:42 AM
i wouldnt call him underrated. i think everyone knows how good he is.

sadly, the media and NBA dont bother to promote him more bc he is quiet/"boring".

society wants glamour and loud mouthed "cool" players.

Kenny
11-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Duncan can't do it on a night in night out basis anymore but Pop doesn't ask him too.

The most underrated guy in the league is Lamarcus Aldridge. I don't think people realize how good he is.

theheatles
11-02-2012, 09:42 AM
I would still take Duncan over Blake for this season

kdspurman
11-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Certainly is at times. Was still shocked Dirk got the all star nod over him last year. He probably won't make it again this year, but if he keeps up this level of play which is quite possible i don't see how he doesn't. He's still better than so many of these bigs on both ends in the game, but because his minutes are so low the #'s don't reflect.

With that said, he's never been an attention whore and don't think he cares or minds at this point what people think of him aside from his teammates and coach

kdspurman
11-02-2012, 09:45 AM
I would still take Duncan over Blake for this season

Truth

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-02-2012, 09:45 AM
hell yeah he is lol, for him to be that effective at this age is just mind boggling to me.
no wonder he hasnt retired yet, and all this does is add to his legacy imo..

ppl will always underrate him in todays nba, but once he retires, they will look at his resume and appreciate it.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Certainly is at times. Was still shocked Dirk got the all star nod over him last year. He probably won't make it again this year, but if he keeps up this level of play which is quite possible i don't see how he doesn't. He's still better than so many of these bigs on both ends in the game, but because his minutes are so low the #'s don't reflect.

With that said, he's never been an attention whore and don't think he cares or minds at this point what people think of him aside from his teammates and coach

especially after that facial, he just looked down and ran back on defense haha

kdspurman
11-02-2012, 09:48 AM
especially after that facial, he just looked down and ran back on defense haha

That's what I love about the guy. He doesn't yell and beat his chest or anything to show up Ibaka. Just business as usual.

His defense last night was great. Just wish they had another big when he goes to the bench to give him more rest at times

torocan
11-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Unfortunately, outside of the gearheads Duncan gets lost amongst the highlight, posterizing, loudmouth players on big market teams.

Folks seem to perpetually underestimate Duncan and the Spurs.

It amazes me that there are "analysts" running around writing the Spurs off year after year. Then act all shocked when the Spurs come out and kick butt year after year.

Duncan may not be the player he was in his prime, but he's still way ahead of many of the so called "stars".

Duncan is a perfect example of the quiet professional. He won't talk smack, or show up on TMZ, but he'll happily show up and kick your butt up and down the court.

#norespect

JasonJohnHorn
11-02-2012, 10:43 AM
One of the best players in the league on both ends of the floor. Most people would rank Kobe higher than Duncan, but at the end of the day, Duncan is the guy you want to build your franchise around.

Twins Fanatic
11-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Don't think he's underrated, a lot of players and analyst respect his talents and ability (even at that age), that's why the spurs are projected top 3 in the West and projected as title contenders.

KnicksorBust
11-02-2012, 11:28 AM
His career is a testament to how sound is game has always been. Big men age in dog years and where other bigs careers have fallen to pieces... his fundamentals and IQ are so strong that he remains nearly as productive now as he did toward the end of his prime. I can't think of a better nickname than The Big Fundamental. Well-deserved and it's been an honor to watch him play.

Although I may not have been so generous with my words back in 1999...

SanAntonioSpurs23
11-02-2012, 08:53 PM

^^^^^
This post wins. That is the exact reason why Duncan doesnt get the media love. Ever since 2007 nobody has watched the Spurs (consistently) except from the occasional PO game. The 2007 Spurs were given the "boring" label and it stuck.

Its true that Duncan has played center for the past 5 years, but he has luterally had no choice. Look at the bigs hes played with since Oberto retired. 36/37 year old Mcdyess, Drew Gooden, Ian Mahinmi, Matt Bonner, Dejaun Blair, Michael F***ing Finley (yeah Spurs fans remember him getting minutes playing PF (same as Richard Jefferson). Im probably missing some other names, but ive tried to block that memory of SA basketball out of my mind.

Duncan can no longer dominate in the low post for 48 minutes, but he has changed his game to allow him to still be effective. His 17 foot jumper is money from dead on, the bank is still there, his passing has improved, and even his FT shooting has improved.

Defensively Duncan has still been the defensive anchor. He just hasnt had anyone next to him that could play solid D. Mcdyess was probably the best, but he was undersized and old. Points in the paint are eaiser to come by against the Spurs not because Duncan is aging, but because there hasnt been even an average defender next to him since Oberto.

Duncan and the Spurs have been incredibly fun to watch for the past two years. Yall just laughed at us when we said that "The Spurs arent boring (or old) anymore". It is cool to see that Tim Duncan is still turning heads! Legend......

KnicksorBust
11-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Seriously... I'd cup Tim Duncan's balls just to meet him. And I can honestly say that's only true for a FEW players.

Alayla
11-02-2012, 09:19 PM
yes but also he is a center JS

bagwell368
11-02-2012, 10:37 PM
In head to head match ups, Duncan gets the better more often times than not.

Duncan also has played for the better team, do not underestimate that.

KnicksorBust
11-02-2012, 10:42 PM
You'd take KG over Duncan? Of course you wouldn't. So don't make irrelevant posts.

mzgrizz
11-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Give me a break. He's Tim Duncan and NO one, NO one should ever underestimate the man

JayW_1023
11-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Unfortunately, outside of the gearheads Duncan gets lost amongst the highlight, posterizing, loudmouth players on big market teams.

Folks seem to perpetually underestimate Duncan and the Spurs.

It amazes me that there are "analysts" running around writing the Spurs off year after year. Then act all shocked when the Spurs come out and kick butt year after year.

Duncan may not be the player he was in his prime, but he's still way ahead of many of the so called "stars".

Duncan is a perfect example of the quiet professional. He won't talk smack, or show up on TMZ, but he'll happily show up and kick your butt up and down the court.

#norespect

JA "Laker bias" Adande does it every year. The fool.

SanAntonioSpurs23
11-04-2012, 04:02 AM
yes but also he is a center JS

David Robinson, Rasho Nesterovic, Nazr Mohammed, and Oberto disagree with your statement.

TRF929
11-04-2012, 05:00 AM
Quick thing to add, I don't think he's underrated but gets lost between all the dumb story lines. There's only so much you can say about Duncan, so once it's said then its over with. He doesn't bring any extra/outside drama, so there's no reason to bring him up because ppl have already said what needs to be said. There's only so many times you can repeat yourself, can anyone tell me anything new that hasn't already been said. Hard to think of anything (and I live in SA), even 5 years ago the same **** was said that ppl would say now. Media/people like hearing drama, so if none of that is going around then there's no reason to mention it (that's San Antonio as a whole) rarely any drama and so that also helps everyone saying the spurs are boring. That goes for ppl as well, drama ppl get talked about 1000x more than someone that stays away from drama. They'll probably have a lot more friends as well, in so, the spurs fan base is smaller than teams with drama.

I feel like I over used the word drama, but oh well, you should know what I'm saying

ink
11-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Under-rated, maybe, maybe not.

Under-appreciated, absolutely. Favourite player in the league for me.

ink
11-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Quick thing to add, I don't think he's underrated but gets lost between all the dumb story lines. There's only so much you can say about Duncan, so once it's said then its over with. He doesn't bring any extra/outside drama, so there's no reason to bring him up because ppl have already said what needs to be said. There's only so many times you can repeat yourself, can anyone tell me anything new that hasn't already been said. Hard to think of anything (and I live in SA), even 5 years ago the same **** was said that ppl would say now. Media/people like hearing drama, so if none of that is going around then there's no reason to mention it (that's San Antonio as a whole) rarely any drama and so that also helps everyone saying the spurs are boring. That goes for ppl as well, drama ppl get talked about 1000x more than someone that stays away from drama. They'll probably have a lot more friends as well, in so, the spurs fan base is smaller than teams with drama.

I feel like I over used the word drama, but oh well, you should know what I'm saying

You nailed it with the first line.

Becks2307
11-04-2012, 10:22 AM
he is balling with the increased minutes thus far.

kdspurman
11-04-2012, 10:51 AM
he is balling with the increased minutes thus far.

Yep, and last year with his PER 36 #'s, they were comparable to just about anyone at his position. It's only been 3 games, but he somehow looks better than he did last year. His last game vs OKC he did have 25 & 14. I think that series has motivated him knowing how close he was and how close he is to retiring.

torocan
11-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Part of the problem is Duncan's low key personality.

He's a team player. He doesn't shoot his mouth off. His game isn't especially flashy or media friendly.

And the team is basically dramaless. There's no off season hype about great players leaving, or strife in the locker room, or battles with the ownership and coaching.

The Spurs are close to an ideal NBA franchise in terms of how they are run and how they play... just not media friendly.