PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte Bobcats Open to Name Change

JordansBulls
11-01-2012, 05:39 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/11/01/3637831/bobcats-jordan-im-in-it-for-the.html

--He said the franchise is open to a nickname switch should New Orleans Hornets owner Tom Benson follow through on changing that team’s name. Some fans want the Hornets name and logo back in Charlotte.

Jordan said he’s open to a name change, but it’s premature to say much more.

“It’s definitely an interest down the road. But right now it’s still the New Orleans Hornets. We’re really not at liberty to discuss something owned by someone else,’’ Jordan said. “We’ve heard the community ask the question, and we would listen.

DoMeFavors
11-01-2012, 05:44 PM
New Orleans Gators

gwrighter
11-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Charlotte Hornets would be cool.

N3TS
11-01-2012, 05:52 PM
3 way nickname trade:

Charlotte Hornets
New Orleans Jazz
Utah Bobcats

This would never happen though, I don't see Utah ever wanting to change their name.

bigsams50
11-01-2012, 05:54 PM
I am praying we change back to the Hornets. Bobcats just never sat right with me. I wonder though, would NO still have the Hornets old history if the name change did happen?

Jumba
11-01-2012, 05:59 PM
I dont see franchises take an old name back, to complicated.

Just come up with something new and make it easy on yourselves.

PleaseBeNice
11-01-2012, 06:00 PM
how about a win % change

John Walls Era
11-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Charlotte Jordans

Greedy22
11-01-2012, 06:04 PM
New Orleans Looters/Jazz
Charlotte Hornets
Utah ???

UPRock
11-01-2012, 06:11 PM
They need to change that name, too many mediocrity involved with it.

SugeKnight
11-01-2012, 06:14 PM
New Orleans Looters/Jazz
Charlotte Hornets
Utah ???

:laugh:

Becks2307
11-01-2012, 06:20 PM
yeah they need a change...

to the Seattle Super Sonics

heyman321
11-01-2012, 06:24 PM
They should rename themselves the Charlotte Tanks. So when they're good, you can say they're tough like tanks, and when they're crap, people can make jokes about how they're tanking.

Greedy22
11-01-2012, 06:25 PM

It fits the city :shrug:

Greedy22
11-01-2012, 06:26 PM
yeah they need a change...

to the Seattle Super Sonics

Wtf did Seattle do wrong to where they should get that team?

pd7631
11-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Charlotte Flight makes the most sense, there should be no other options.

TheNumber37
11-01-2012, 06:43 PM
haha, rebranding. its what companies do when their brand has suffered so much. sure, the.bobcats suck, but about the Wildcats.

bigsams50
11-01-2012, 06:49 PM

If we dont get the Hornets history back with that name change, then i agree. We should change team name to Flight. Fits with NC being first in flight. And with MJ lol

Hugbees
11-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Charlotte gtfouttaheres

jrm2054
11-01-2012, 07:11 PM
They need one

GiantsSwaGG
11-01-2012, 07:12 PM
How about Charlotte sucks

bigsams50
11-01-2012, 07:21 PM
How about Charlotte sucks

Nice input

bholly
11-01-2012, 07:23 PM

Except for that it sounds just like a WNBA team.

Greedy22
11-01-2012, 07:25 PM

so true.

LAKERMANIA
11-01-2012, 07:26 PM
They should have picked Barons..

Charlotte Barons sounds nice

topdog
11-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Hornets would be a good option - it worked before. Otherwise, there is the classic "let the fans vote on a name" option.

It's sad that Bob(cat) Johnson was given the privlege of starting an expansion franchise. Not saying that the team wouldn't necessarily be called the Bobcats since the Timberwolves were originally owned by Marv Wolfenson, but the name was selected via a contest in Minnesota's case.

The goods
11-01-2012, 07:32 PM
how about a win % change

Hahahaha

pd7631
11-01-2012, 07:34 PM

Yeah, but everyone said the same thing about the Thunder when they came into existence, and I'm sure if there were a WNBA when the Magic and Heat were added to the league, people would say the same about them too. Basically, no "s" at the end of the name, and it sounds like a WNBA team. People would get over it.

Wes_Craven
11-01-2012, 07:35 PM

Same was said for the Thunder.

SINCESTARBURY25
11-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Name change? Aint nobody got time for that

11-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Many people already call them Dudcats so why not that?

Hornets just doesn't seem right since it's not the franchise that began there. It's not like the Cleveland Browns where the Browns name stayed in the city. Seattle could go back to the Supersonics because of this reasoning. Charlotte going back to the Hornets would be just like the Houston Texans all of a sudden being the Oilers again even though the franchise name went to Tennessee temporarily.

JasonJohnHorn
11-01-2012, 08:33 PM
The new ownership in NOH wants to change the name. They should wait until that process is over and then take Hornets back. Or just leave it as the Bobcats. I don't think that's a bad name. People think it's bad not because the team sucks so they assoicate "Bobcats" with sucking... it's like the word "********", it just meant "slowed down" originally, but then the made it a medical term and people started associating it with that condition and it became insulting. Bobcats works the same way. Start winning and the name won't be so bad.

kobebabe
11-01-2012, 09:13 PM
bout time! We have learned to associate that name with losing anyway

P Harvy
11-01-2012, 09:19 PM
I think I have a really good name idea actually.

How about the Charlotte Web?

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Charlotte Tarheels

thechom80
11-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Charlotte Opposingteamsguaranteedtowintonights

CrasH-X
11-01-2012, 09:41 PM
I know very little about Charlotte or NC other than their sports teams and school and that NASCAR is there (or race there ?) .. Why not something fast like Charlotte Race or NC Jolt or something along those lines ?

You Charlottonians should be able to come up with something other than Bobcats, anything's better !

P Harvy
11-01-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm telling you guys the Charlotte Web...

topdog
11-01-2012, 09:55 PM
The new ownership in NOH wants to change the name. They should wait until that process is over and then take Hornets back. Or just leave it as the Bobcats. I don't think that's a bad name. People think it's bad not because the team sucks so they assoicate "Bobcats" with sucking... it's like the word "********", it just meant "slowed down" originally, but then the made it a medical term and people started associating it with that condition and it became insulting. Bobcats works the same way. Start winning and the name won't be so bad.

It's not that. If I understand correctly, the locals hate the name because Bob Johnson named them after himself, then, he proceeded to made the team crap and sell it for more than he paid.

kingsdelez24
11-01-2012, 09:56 PM
http://blogs.centrictv.com/shows/oncentric/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/juwannamann.jpg

The Charlotte Juwanna's

q-town81
11-01-2012, 10:01 PM
new orleans voodoo should be their new name

InRoseWeTrust
11-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Utah Bobcats
Charlotte Hornets
New Orleans Jazz

Make it happen!

Puck017
11-01-2012, 10:23 PM
How about the Carolina Charlatans.

As a Charlotte native the name was one of my biggest reasons to not really give the teams a chance when they first expanded, but the fact that I left the area of tv coverage to go to college that same year probably played a bigger role. The fact that the majority of people that are casual basketball fans could have made better front office decisions than the Bobcats have is the reason why I haven't become a fan since I graduated and returned to Charlotte.

bigsams50
11-01-2012, 10:34 PM
It's not that. If I understand correctly, the locals hate the name because Bob Johnson named them after himself, then, he proceeded to made the team crap and sell it for more than he paid.

This exactly. Named the team after himself. I remember the 3 final names that were being decided were Bobcats, Dragons, and Flight

Puck017
11-01-2012, 10:46 PM
This exactly. Named the team after himself. I remember the 3 final names that were being decided were Bobcats, Dragons, and Flight

Let be honest all three of those names are pretty lame. Its hard to find a decent mascot these days that isn't already tied to something. The name may of dug them a early hole but being a poorly run franchise has kept them down ever since.

JEDean89
11-01-2012, 10:55 PM
NO should rebrand to the NO Brass takeing on a similar gold and black theme that the saints use.
Char should then go back to Hornets using the same style from back in the day
Kings Move to Seattle to become the Supersonics with a more updated look, maybe something like the oregon uniforms.

that would make the nba feel better. i think the NO Brass both encompasses the cities culture and sounds bad ***.

topdog
11-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Let be honest all three of those names are pretty lame. Its hard to find a decent mascot these days that isn't already tied to something. The name may of dug them a early hole but being a poorly run franchise has kept them down ever since.

You don't get it. It's not about "that name's not cool," it's about a douchebage owner basically saying FU to the locals and deciding to name the team after himself. The team does nothing under him and he sells out. That's messed up.

iFYouSeekAmy
11-01-2012, 11:23 PM
New Orleans Cajuns

Puck017
11-01-2012, 11:34 PM
You don't get it. It's not about "that name's not cool," it's about a douchebage owner basically saying FU to the locals and deciding to name the team after himself. The team does nothing under him and he sells out. That's messed up.

I think you don't get it. I'm one of the locals that gave Bob Johnson the name for that very reason gave Bob Johnson the finger and didn't even consider being a Bobcat fan until like 2009.

Don't think for a second if things happened a little differently and they got a Dwight Howard (#2 pick that year him and Okafor we're pretty evenly rated going into the draft), Chris Paul (backed out of a deal to trade up for him that year and ended up using two pick on Sean May and Raymond Felton), or even Rudy Gay instead of Adam Morrison fans wouldn't have started to forgive the franchise for what Bob Johnson did with the name especially since he doesn't own the team anymore. I'm sure a lot more people would get behind the team if Bob Johnson owned it if the team had Howard or Paul.

mrblisterdundee
11-01-2012, 11:36 PM
That shows how truly desparate Michel Jordan is for a second chance. Maybe he'll change the name and stop, stop trying to be a general manager and let somebody who knows what they're doing run the show. Maybe he should ask Larry Bird to be his GM.

topdog
11-01-2012, 11:43 PM
I think you don't get it. I'm one of the locals that gave Bob Johnson the name for that very reason gave Bob Johnson the finger and didn't even consider being a Bobcat fan until like 2009.

Don't think for a second if things happened a little differently and they got a Dwight Howard (#2 pick that year him and Okafor we're pretty evenly rated going into the draft), Chris Paul (backed out of a deal to trade up for him that year and ended up using two pick on Sean May and Raymond Felton), or even Rudy Gay instead of Adam Morrison fans wouldn't have started to forgive the franchise for what Bob Johnson did with the name especially since he doesn't own the team anymore. I'm sure a lot more people would get behind the team if Bob Johnson owned it if the team had Howard or Paul.

I don't quite follow what you're saying here. My point was that the issue of the "Bobcats" name has nothing to do with "coolness." Obviously, there have been some bad moves, but that sort of alienation (selfishly naming a team after yourself) does far more damage than poor FO work imo.

Puck017
11-01-2012, 11:52 PM
I don't quite follow what you're saying here. My point was that the issue of the "Bobcats" name has nothing to do with "coolness." Obviously, there have been some bad moves, but that sort of alienation (selfishly naming a team after yourself) does far more damage than poor FO work imo.

What I'm saying is that winning could have overcome that issue., but it didn't happen so what your saying is reality.

CubsBullsBucs
11-01-2012, 11:58 PM
The Charlotte Saltine Crackers?

SINCESTARBURY25
11-02-2012, 03:36 AM
Charlotte Pawn stars

Chavacano
11-02-2012, 03:39 AM
Charlotte Douglas.

bigsams50
11-02-2012, 04:40 AM

They are all lame. Bobcats was the worst choice though. Out of those options, i would have prefered Flight. Makes sense since NC is first in flight. And now that MJ is the owner

bigsams50
11-02-2012, 04:41 AM
That shows how truly desparate Michel Jordan is for a second chance. Maybe he'll change the name and stop, stop trying to be a general manager and let somebody who knows what they're doing run the show. Maybe he should ask Larry Bird to be his GM.

Jordan isnt the general manager anymore. Rich Cho is.