PDA

View Full Version : Since when has LeBron James been the best player in the league?

DanG
11-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Simple question. IMO since 2010 he has been the clear #1. in 09 you can argue Wade and Kobe.

knicks=love
11-01-2012, 01:40 PM
:eyebrow:

dh144498
11-01-2012, 01:42 PM
pretty much 2010. One could argue 09.

kozelkid
11-01-2012, 01:43 PM
I'll say 08-09, around the time when injuries started to hit Paul hard.

JasonJohnHorn
11-01-2012, 01:48 PM
You know what, I'll go back to 2005. 2009 at the very latest, since he won MVP that season. But he lead the league in FG made in 2005, despite the fact AI took over 200 more shots than him. He finished third in scoring over all (Kobe and Iverson were a head of him) but he had more assists and rebounds per game that Kobe, and almost as many assists as Iverson while also handlily outrebounding him. He also had a better FG% than both.

In 2006 Kobe lead the league in scoring, James was second I think, but Kobe took about 250 more shots than James that year and only ended up with about a 100 more FG. And again, James outrebounded him and got more assists.

I think since at least 2008 though, he lead the league in scoring and nearly got 8 board and assists a game that season... Kobe won the MVP that year, but all his averages were lower (points, rebounds, assists) and his FG% was lower, it's just his team had a better record.

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 01:51 PM
He made the leap in the 2007-2008 season when he led the league in scoring and PER, but his numbers started looking MJ-like in 08-09. I voted 2007, but you could probably make the case for 2008-2009 as well. Paul put up some pretty ridiculous numbers in 2007-2008, as well, so you could make a case that he was the best player in the league. One thing's for sure, and that's that Kobe was not the best player in the league, despite winning the MVP.

Andrew32
11-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Wade or Dirk was the best in 2006.

Kobe or Dirk was the best in 2007.
CP3 owned 2008 although Kobe was up there also.
Nash was also balling in 06 / 07 he is up there also.

Lebron was probably the best in 2009 although Wade and Kobe were both great that year.

Lebron was probably the best in 2010 but Wade was right behind him.
No one else was close to them that year (sorry Kobe fans).

In 2011 I am stuck between Lebron, Wade and Dirk probably has a case.
Lebron choked so hard in the Finals.
I lean towards Wade.

2012 = Lebron clearly.

ManRam
11-01-2012, 01:54 PM
I was pretty sure he was in 2008. There's a pretty easy argument to be made that Chris Paul, and not LeBron, was the best player in the 2007-2008 season, but it was close. 2008-2009 it was glaringly obvious (Paul probably the second best, with Dwight being a somewhat distant 3rd). He has been better than Kobe since at least 2008 (if you bring up "RINGZ" I'll bring up the fact that my shower curtain has more than both of them combined).

Ever since then, if you don't think he's been the best player in basketball, you have some skewed definition of "Best player in basketball".

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Wow...

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Glad ppl showing wade some love :)

Dade County
11-01-2012, 02:02 PM
The day he put on a HEAT jersey! lol

Miltstar
11-01-2012, 02:03 PM
I'd say in 2007 right after Big Hoffa Rafael Araujo played his last game! :speechless:

naps
11-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Since 2007 playoffs.

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 02:06 PM

Wade is an excellent basketball player who has consistently been in the top five since 2005-2006, but I don't know that he's every been the best player in the NBA. You could maybe make the case in 05-06, because of the Finals MVP, but he didn't lead in any major statistical categories. And he led the league in PER in 06-07, but I'd give the edge to Dirk that season based on his ridiculous WS and Wade missing so much of that season with injuries.

P Harvy
11-01-2012, 02:06 PM
You know what, I'll go back to 2005. 2009 at the very latest, since he won MVP that season. But he lead the league in FG made in 2005, despite the fact AI took over 200 more shots than him. He finished third in scoring over all (Kobe and Iverson were a head of him) but he had more assists and rebounds per game that Kobe, and almost as many assists as Iverson while also handlily outrebounding him. He also had a better FG% than both.

In 2006 Kobe lead the league in scoring, James was second I think, but Kobe took about 250 more shots than James that year and only ended up with about a 100 more FG. And again, James outrebounded him and got more assists.

I think since at least 2008 though, he lead the league in scoring and nearly got 8 board and assists a game that season... Kobe won the MVP that year, but all his averages were lower (points, rebounds, assists) and his FG% was lower, it's just his team had a better record.

I was just going to say.. Where is the 2005 option on the poll?

Htownballa1622
11-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Since 2007 playoffs.

ooh my first quoted sig. thnks lol

oh and to answer the question since 08-09

ManRam
11-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Wade is an excellent basketball player who has consistently been in the top five since 2005-2006, but I don't know that he's every been the best player in the NBA. You could maybe make the case in 05-06, because of the Finals MVP, but he didn't lead in any major statistical categories. And he led the league in PER in 06-07, but I'd give the edge to Dirk that season based on his ridiculous WS and Wade missing so much of that season with injuries.

Agreed.

Wade is much like Kobe: consistently top 3-5, but perhaps never the clear best player in any single year. That's not a knock...very few players ever are the clear best players for very long. What LeBron is doing, as evidenced by this poll, is extremely rare. Some of the all time top 5-10 players never were the clear best players in the league for more than a couple years. What both Wade and Kobe have done in their careers are tremendous, but if you go look at it year-by-year, you'll be hard pressed to find many objective people ever claiming that either were obviously the best players in the league.

dh144498
11-01-2012, 02:09 PM
I was pretty sure he was in 2008. There's a pretty easy argument to be made that Chris Paul, and not LeBron, was the best player in the 2007-2008 season, but it was close. 2008-2009 it was glaringly obvious (Paul probably the second best, with Dwight being a somewhat distant 3rd). He has been better than Kobe since at least 2008 (if you bring up "RINGZ" I'll bring up the fact that my shower curtain has more than both of them combined).

Ever since then, if you don't think he's been the best player in basketball, you have some skewed definition of "Best player in basketball".

except yours are worth nothing, and those "RINGZ" are worth something.

TheScab
11-01-2012, 02:11 PM
He never was and he still isn't. He's just been hyped up for years and throned as a "King" since he came in this league because Stern and the NBA needed to create another superstar to keep this league alive. He's just been ESPN's poster boy and the media hype man.

Is he a physical freak and can dunk the ball very hard with flash? yes. Is he the best player in the league? No. Michael Vick and Cam Newton are taller, faster and can throw the ball farther than Drew Brees. Are either of them better than him? No.

When i look at best player in the NBA, i look at everything all around including character and work ethic and impact on your team. Without Wade, Lebron goes nowhere. Without Wade and Bosch, Lebron isn't even in the playoffs.

Best player in the NBA? Guys who ARE the team? I think of Dirk Nowitzki and Derek Rose.

ManRam
11-01-2012, 02:13 PM

And those "RINGZ" are a team accomplishment...not an individual one.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-01-2012, 02:14 PM
It was a matter of time before Kobe vs bron would come up
:catfight:

Htownballa1622
11-01-2012, 02:15 PM
He never was and he still isn't. He's just been hyped up for years and throned as a "King" since he came in this league because Stern and the NBA needed to create another superstar to keep this league alive. He's just been ESPN's poster boy and the media hype man.

Is he a physical freak and can dunk the ball very hard with flash? yes. Is he the best player in the league? No. Michael Vick and Cam Newton are taller, faster and can throw the ball farther than Drew Brees. Are either of them better than him? No.

When i look at best player in the NBA, i look at everything all around including character and work ethic and impact on your team. Without Wade, Lebron goes nowhere. Without Wade and Bosch, Lebron isn't even in the playoffs.

Best player in the NBA? Guys who ARE the team? I think of Dirk Nowitzki and Derek Rose.

You obviously aren't looking at everything.

dh144498
11-01-2012, 02:16 PM
And those "RINGZ" are a team accomplishment...not an individual one.

but your curtain rings are worth..... what?

ManRam
11-01-2012, 02:17 PM

What an amazingly stupid post. Congrats!

The difference between Vick and Newton is that LeBron actually has an amazingly profound and dominating impact on his team. No player can do the variety of things he can do on the court. The other difference is that no matter what stats you like to use, LeBron is in a league of his own. His basic counting stats are as gaudy as anyone in recent memory. His advanced stats are just through the roof.

To simplify his game down to "he can dunk the ball very hard with flash" is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever read here. It shows you have a very limited ability to judge NBA talent.

It also leads me to believe that you are trolling...so if you are, then I am quite impressed with your commitment and execution.

dh144498
11-01-2012, 02:17 PM
It was a matter of time before Kobe vs bron would come up
:catfight:

it's inevitable. Extremists on both sides will never let this one go.

ManRam
11-01-2012, 02:18 PM
but your curtain rings are worth..... what?

First, I was being facetious. I don't actually think my shower curtains rings mean anything. I was using extreme hyperbole :laugh:

Secondly, they're probably worth, combined, maybe $1.50. :shrug:

Sactown
11-01-2012, 02:18 PM

Reading this actually made me dumber, you are a cancer in society.

ManRam
11-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Oh, and character and worth ethic literally can have absolutely no impact on how good a player is. You can be the scummiest human being in the world and have no work ethic, and still be the best at what you do. If you really are looking at EVERYTHING to judge a player, those would probably the last things you worry about...if you even worry about them at all. They're only an issue when it hinders teammates...LeBron has never been accused of being a bad teammate, in fact, he's usually lauded.

dh144498
11-01-2012, 02:22 PM
advanced $tat$, PER, that's what it's all about.

-Lebron is the greatest of all time, his PER is AMAZING.
-What about Jordan? His had really good PER and he's still the leader in career PER.
-But Lebron puts up better numbers, a walking triple double.
-Oscar was literally a walking triple double, but no one seems to have him near the GOAT status.
-But his PER sucks. Lebron has a combination of GOAT PER and the triple double abilities, he's the GOAT, better than Jordan. Forget winning championships, just stat paddle your way to the top.

Hawkize31
11-01-2012, 02:23 PM

But Kobe's or Lebron's or Duncan's are all part of a team effort and note soley because of individual players.

TheScab
11-01-2012, 02:23 PM
What an amazingly stupid post. Congrats!

The difference between Vick and Newton is that LeBron actually has an amazingly profound and dominating impact on his team. No player can do the variety of things he can do on the court. The other difference is that no matter what stats you like to use, LeBron is in a league of his own. His basic counting stats are as gaudy as anyone in recent memory. His advanced stats are just through the roof.

To simplify his game down to "he can dunk the ball very hard with flash" is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever read here. It shows you have a very limited ability to judge NBA talent.

It also leads me to believe that you are trolling...so if you are, then I am quite impressed with your commitment and execution.

Go ahead and taunt if you like. Most think Lebron is the best player because he's so hyped up. Media has a large impact on the way people view things.

But from a basketball perspective, most GM's would rather build a championship contender around Dirk Diggler or Rose rather than Lebron.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Go ahead and taunt if you like. Most think Lebron is the best player because he's so hyped up. Media has a large impact on the way people view things.

But from a basketball perspective, most GM's would rather build a championship contender around Dirk Diggler or Rose rather than Lebron.

Wow so you're sayin most people think lebron is the best player because he is hyped up?:confused:

*eats popcorn*

Continue.

dh144498
11-01-2012, 02:28 PM

I'd take Lebron over those two, and I think most GM's would do it too.

xnick5757
11-01-2012, 02:30 PM
he has led the league is WS and WS/48 every year since the 2008-09 season, so i'll go with that one

Ill21
11-01-2012, 02:31 PM
2007 is when he really started to dominate

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-01-2012, 02:34 PM
I think he's been the best player in the game ever since game 7 in the 2008 ECSF.

b@llhog24
11-01-2012, 02:35 PM
08-09 season. Cp3 was the best player in basketball in 07-08.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-01-2012, 02:35 PM
2008-2009.

That's when he started playing on both ends of the floor. That 08 Summer Olympics with Kobe really put things into perspective for him. He saw how hard Kobe worked and what it took, and from that point on, LeBron basically took that torch.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-01-2012, 02:36 PM
2007 is when he really started to dominate

But not defensively. He was average on one side of the court and pretty damn great on the offensive end.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-01-2012, 02:37 PM

First of all, it's Derrick Rose, not Derek.

And Second....no

Hardaway Here
11-01-2012, 02:49 PM

I know it's such a rare thing on this site outside of miami fans

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 02:53 PM

I can't tell if you're trolling or if you honestly believe this nonsense that you're spewing. Either way, you come off as incredibly ignorant.

Greedy22
11-01-2012, 02:57 PM
One could argue 08-09, but clearly and without a doubt it was 09-10.

Greedy22
11-01-2012, 02:59 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, can you provide a list of these gms so I can notify their owners it's time to hand said gm their pink slip?

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 03:00 PM
LeBron has never been accused of being a bad teammate, in fact, he's usually lauded.

Lebron's also never been accused of rape. :D

(Awaits onslaught of angry Lakers' fans)

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Holy the amount of homerism is laughable Kobe was the best until 2010, ill even look up a thread on it where lots of people on psd agreed it wasn't until 2010 that he was the clear cut #1 that's when every analyst went from saying Kobe to Lebron.... Lol at 07 and 08 what a joke there is a case for 09 but 10' and been hes been te best

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-01-2012, 03:11 PM
One could argue 08-09, but clearly and without a doubt it was 09-10.

Yeah they year after the lakers won the 2nd championship so yeah 2010

Greedy22
11-01-2012, 03:13 PM

I thought he was better individually than Kobe in 09-10. Kobe's body took an absolute beating playing through those injuries and he hasn't really been the same since.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Holy the amount of homerism is laughable Kobe was the best until 2010, ill even look up a thread on it where lots of people on psd agreed it wasn't until 2010 that he was the clear cut #1 that's when every analyst went from saying Kobe to Lebron.... Lol at 07 and 08 what a joke there is a case for 09 but 10' and been hes been te best

Approximately 95% of the people in here who've said 09 or earlier aren't Heat fans.

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 03:16 PM

If you think this, please provide some kind of a statistical basis for your argument. Don't speak in vague generalizations and use team accomplishments like championships to back it up. Let's hear a legitimate argument for why Kobe was a better basketball player than Lebron James in 2008-2009.

mngopher35
11-01-2012, 03:17 PM

While I disagree about what your saying about kobe, I do agree that some people are voting for lebron too early. I think that in 2008 paul was the best player (lebron and kobe could be argued but personally I have paul). 08 is the earliest I can imagine someone voting lebron and even then I think its still too early. 2009 I think is very fair to say Lebron was the best player and from there on out he has been at the top.

DanG
11-01-2012, 03:18 PM

It isn't because the lakers won the championship, it's because Wade had an amazing season. You can argue both Kobe, Wade with Bron in 2009

Quinnsanity
11-01-2012, 03:19 PM
I voted he has never been the best player in the league just to be an ******* and wow, only one other guy did it, I'm impressed PSD.

ManRam
11-01-2012, 03:20 PM

It's easier, IMO, to argue that Kobe was never the best player in the NBA than it is to argue that he was for multiple seasons.

And homerism? I think the only Heat fan to chime in has been here to stand up for Wade...

I voted he has never been the best player in the league just to be an ******* and wow, only one other guy did it, I'm impressed PSD.

It really is mind boggling. PSD making strides towards towards being a bit intellectual???

Haha...who am I kidding. This is a fluke.

JasonJohnHorn
11-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Approximately 95% of the people in here who've said 09 or earlier aren't Heat fans.

Count me in there. I said 2005, and I don't even like the Heat or LBJ.

todu82
11-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Sometime in 2010.

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-01-2012, 03:33 PM
http://www.the-top-tens.com/lists/best-nba-players-2010.asp

http://www.muscleprodigy.com/the-top-10-nba-players-entering-the-2010-2011-season-arcl-1000.html

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/lists/2010-11-NBA-preview-Top-10-players#tab=photo-title=Kobe+Bryant%252C+SG%252C+Los+Angeles+Lakers&photo=21287112

http://bestplayerontheplanet.com/nbas-top-10-players-2010/

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=490515

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 03:35 PM
It really is mind boggling. PSD making strides towards towards being a bit intellectual???

Haha...who am I kidding. This is a fluke.

It's because all of the crazy 15-year-old Kobe fans are still in their remedial math classes right now. But as soon as they get off the bus when they got home, I expect a lot more votes and unreadable Lebron-hating comments.

Greedy22
11-01-2012, 03:38 PM
It's because all of the crazy 15-year-old Kobe fans are still in their remedial math classes right now. But as soon as they get off the bus when they got home, I expect a lot more votes and unreadable Lebron-hating comments.

Please don't classify all kobe fans that way lol, he's my all time favorite and I'm not here bashing Lebron nor being irrational. :laugh2:

DanG
11-01-2012, 04:51 PM

:facepalm:

This is just wrong. You wanna say that he is not a superstar? Since when are 27-8-6 not superstar numbers? Last time I checked he won the EAST without Wade and Bosh.

JordansBulls
11-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Since 2007 playoffs.

Duncan was the best player in the league still in 2007 and Dirk was better as well and probably Kobe that season.

JordansBulls
11-01-2012, 04:56 PM
I was just going to say.. Where is the 2005 option on the poll?

He didn't even make the playoffs in 2005, how the hell is he the best player then?

bucketss
11-01-2012, 05:00 PM

If you were starting a franchise today and could sign any player in the NBA, who would it be?

1. LeBron James, Miami -- 80.0%
2. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City -- 16.7%
3. Dwight Howard, L.A. Lakers -- 3.3%

Last year: Kevin Durant, LeBron James -- 37.0%

gm survey from nba.com. go troll elsewhere.

UPRock
11-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Since 07.

UPRock
11-01-2012, 05:10 PM

lol says the guy that puts Kobe's name in every freakin post, even when the thread isn't about him.

Greedy22
11-01-2012, 05:26 PM

:laugh2: :clap:

Stunner
11-01-2012, 05:27 PM
i'll say 09

3RDASYSTEM
11-01-2012, 05:35 PM

Of course media has large influence, just based off what you said is reason why JORDAN is universally regarded as greatest because of the 'hype'(mcdonalds,nike,gatorade,hanes,spacejam and etc.) and BRON is the new 'hype' but they both had game to back it, but BRON just shattered the media agenda when he dropped 20/6/6 as rookie, they wanted him to fail badly....this PER **** has nothing to do with how 'great' he is, his game speaks for itself

i dont know what GM list you been watching but since like 03 rookie yr, hes been no1 on GM list to build a franchise around, and last 4yrs easily...its like his 10th yr, he was who he was from day1, nothing more nothing less...FRANCHISE

Bravo95
11-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Before I gave a damn about advanced metrics, just as a fan of the game, I thought Duncan and Bryant were the best players until around maybe 2009 or 10. Been James ever since.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Before I gave a damn about advanced metrics, just as a fan of the game, I thought Duncan and Bryant were the best players until around maybe 2009 or 10. Been James ever since.

lol not to us miami fans, we were arguing for wade hardcore with our homer glasses on ;)

3RDASYSTEM
11-01-2012, 05:45 PM
He didn't even make the playoffs in 2005, how the hell is he the best player then?

KOBE 'didnt' start offtop and was a backupguard for basically his first 4yrs right?

why didnt he win 6th man of the yr every season as a superstar 'top 5 ever' backup and now is widely considered as a top5 ever after starting for 12yrs? See how funny that **** sound? imagine if GINOBILI played/got drafted in LA market instead of SA

i bet BRON game was 'allnba' level in 05 regards if his squad didnt make the playoffs

BRON got drafted 2yrs earlier to a 18-21 win team

not a 56 win team like some lucky players get

dh144498
11-01-2012, 06:23 PM
KOBE 'didnt' start offtop and was a backupguard for basically his first 4yrs right?

why didnt he win 6th man of the yr every season as a superstar 'top 5 ever' backup and now is widely considered as a top5 ever after starting for 12yrs? See how funny that **** sound? imagine if GINOBILI played/got drafted in LA market instead of SA

i bet BRON game was 'allnba' level in 05 regards if his squad didnt make the playoffs

BRON got drafted 2yrs earlier to a 18-21 win team

not a 56 win team like some lucky players get

what does all this have to do with this thread or what JB wrote?

Bravo95
11-01-2012, 06:32 PM
lol not to us miami fans, we were arguing for wade hardcore with our homer glasses on ;)
Ha, I mean you had the right to feel that way, Wade was killing it and moving up into the discussion.

Alayla
11-01-2012, 06:38 PM

Hawkeye15
11-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Since the beginning of the 08-09' season.

seikou8
11-01-2012, 07:18 PM
08-09

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-01-2012, 08:59 PM
lol says the guy that puts Kobe's name in every freakin post, even when the thread isn't about him.

Same goes for all the heat fans when there is always something about Kobe the Lebron and wade trolls show up

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Same goes for all the heat fans when there is always something about Kobe the Lebron and wade trolls show up

Same can be said about Laker fans when LeBron and Wade are being talked about.

Man this forum is so God damn sensitive.

I Rock Shaqs
11-01-2012, 09:13 PM
08-09 season.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Same can be said about Laker fans when LeBron and Wade are being talked about.

Man this forum is so God damn sensitive.

You're a mod and you use such language? :no:

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-01-2012, 09:17 PM
what does all this have to do with this thread or what JB wrote?

It never does. Nobody can even understand what he's trying to say. He's like the DJ Mbenga of PSD.

popo85
11-01-2012, 09:36 PM
2009-2010

RulerSlick
11-02-2012, 05:00 AM

:clap: ether

Lebron has the been w/o a doubt the best player in the NBA since 2008. That's the year when the modern eff/all around beast Lebron came about. I would also argue since 2005 when he put up that 31 pts 7 rbs 7 ast line...numbers not see since young MJ.

Chavacano
11-02-2012, 05:24 AM
'08-'09.

eso
11-02-2012, 07:31 AM
I think he will go down as #2 of all time behind MJ (and im a huge Kobe fan) but the man is amazing.. but nobody will ever touch his airness....

oopps and to answer the Question 2009 for me. Kobe was still above him before that. (will to win)

Fnom11
11-02-2012, 01:38 PM
08, although 09 I think Wade was better. Wade was a monster that season.

SteBO
11-02-2012, 01:58 PM
'08-'09 personally.

mngopher35
11-02-2012, 03:02 PM
08, although 09 I think Wade was better. Wade was a monster that season.

I agree that Wade was awesome that season but Lebron was too. Offensively they were very similar wade slightly better raw numbers and Lebron slightly better efficiency. The difference to me that year was defense, and Lebron really started to dominate on that end this year. Not saying wade wasnt a good defender or anything but Lebron definitely had the defensive edge that year and offensively they were basically equal. Not to mention the difference in playoff output (small sample size I know but when players seasons are so close its worth looking at).

Lakers4life08
11-02-2012, 03:10 PM
since yesterday