PDA

View Full Version : Jrue Holiday gets 4 years/41 million

StriveGreatness
11-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Four years, $41 million for Jrue Holiday before midnight buzzer, sources tell ESPN

Swashcuff
11-01-2012, 12:14 AM
All things considered solid deal. Just glad he didn't get the 52+ mil he was looking for.

KnickaBocka.44
11-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Fair deal

John Walls Era
11-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Im not a huge fan of his, but he can play. How many more 10 per deals are they giving away tonight?

KnickaBocka.44
11-01-2012, 12:16 AM
im not a huge fan of his, but he can play. How many more 10 per deals are they giving away tonight?

i want one!

P Harvy
11-01-2012, 12:17 AM
What a great Holiday for him

Hawkeye15
11-01-2012, 12:18 AM
I mean, I know we are at the deadline, but how many deals exceeding $10 million a year need to be handed out tonight?

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Considering what some other guys are getting, I think this is a steal. Without Iggy, Holiday is going to get a ton of assists this season. And then you consider his shooting skills and his potential as a scorer, plus the fact that he's one of the best defensive players at his position. Paying $10 million a year for a likely 15/8 type guy who plays elite defense and is only 21 and going to get better is great value.

netsgiantsyanks
11-01-2012, 12:29 AM
well, he kind of deserves it so...

Sixerlover
11-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Whoo! Wasn't close to the max. Not a bad deal. Great job Philly

topdog
11-01-2012, 12:32 AM
He set us all up. He's probably worth about $8M per, but his previous demands for a max contract make this $10M seem reasonable.

topdog
11-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Also, '09 was supposed to be a "weak" draft. If a weak draft nets this many $40M deals, I shudder to think what a strong one looks like.

Sixerlover
11-01-2012, 12:35 AM
You would think it breaks down to something like 9 mil / 10 mil / 11 mil / 11 mil per. Not terrible if he lives up to expectation.

Duncan = Donkey
11-01-2012, 12:40 AM
im sorry but he is now another overpayed player

Knowledge
11-01-2012, 12:42 AM
As I said in the 76er forum, not bad at all.

UPRock
11-01-2012, 12:46 AM
****!, I want to go to the NBA!

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Outside of the Harden extension, I think this was easily the second best extension signed today.

Alayla
11-01-2012, 03:06 AM
im sorry but he is now another overpayed player

Then u havent wacthed him nearly enough as a sixers fan im cool with this

NoahH
11-01-2012, 03:11 AM
Good deal.

seikou8
11-01-2012, 03:12 AM
good deal

Yabaecip
11-01-2012, 03:28 AM
Seems like everyone is getting their contracts on time. Glad we got Lawson, and Jrue is a solid player as well.

Duncan = Donkey
11-01-2012, 03:30 AM
Then u havent wacthed him nearly enough as a sixers fan im cool with this

delusional

Alayla
11-01-2012, 03:40 AM
delusional

:rolleyes:

DreamShaker
11-01-2012, 03:47 AM
You would think it breaks down to something like 9 mil / 10 mil / 11 mil / 11 mil per. Not terrible if he lives up to expectation.

What are Sixers fans expectations? Just curious.

More-Than-Most
11-01-2012, 03:49 AM
I love this deal :clap:

PhillyFaninLA
11-01-2012, 04:01 AM

I believe he has top 5 PG talent and has developed pretty well. I think with the addition of all the 3 point shooters and Bynum this deal could become a steal, keep in mind no every player comes in a star, sometimes it takes guys a little bit of time and he's only 22 (he was born in June of 1990 I believe).

The thing I like the most about the deal is not that I believe it will be a value deal, but that he took less then the team would have given him allowing more money to resign Turner (I predicted by the end of year 3 he would be a really nice player), resign Bynum (if his knee is not jello), and still be able to sign another max deal or come pretty darn close. Its a deal that makes him very rich and allows the team to do more.

Can't speak for my fellow Sixers fans but that is my take.

Duncan = Donkey
11-01-2012, 04:32 AM
:rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

MagicBucsSox
11-01-2012, 04:55 AM
well, he kind of deserves it so...

Based on what? 14&5 lmaoooooo standards are low nowadays.

Dude got a 100% pay increase for avg stats lmao. Evan 12 pts Turner is next

rabzouz 96
11-01-2012, 05:44 AM
one would think that the new cba made owners hand out more financially sane contracts. oh well...

bringinwood
11-01-2012, 06:16 AM
One of these guys that signed one of these deals will become a max or near max player....
Every team hopes its their guy....

For that team, they made the deal of the century last night...

Alayla
11-01-2012, 06:30 AM
Based on what? 14&5 lmaoooooo standards are low nowadays.

Dude got a 100% pay increase for avg stats lmao. Evan 12 pts Turner is next

The stats dont point out his great defense the stats dont take into account that he has good size for the position and the ability to play 2 positions on BOTH ends of the court the stats dont point out that he was Held back by IGGY and lou between 1 playing point forward and the other Chucking his brains out Jrue lacked consistent touches

You also failed your bring up how much better he played in the playoffs..
Mabye try wacthing the games before u comment on players next time

Chavacano
11-01-2012, 09:36 AM
A bit overpaid IMO.

Swashcuff
11-01-2012, 10:10 AM

Jrue is a bit confusing to me as he really isn't the worlds greatest playmaker (don't really see him being a 10 apg kind of player) nor does he have natural scorers ability (I see Lawson as being better in this regard) but he does have a solid stroke and has the tools to be the best defensive PG in the NBA. He can maybe put on a couple more pounds of muscle which IMO can only help his cause since he's already one of the taller starting PGs in the league and is capable of guarding the two G positions sufficiently.

As for my expectations I'd say by midway through this contract he'd be a fringe all star 16-18, 8, 5, 53% TS type PG with some of the best D at his position and a solid head on his shoulders.

Two of my biggest knocks on him right now (well as of last season rather) was his shot selection and his inability to get to the line. Once he gets those two things together I think he can really throw his name into the top 6 PG contention (Rose, Westbrook, Williams, Paul and Kyrie will always be considered as better than him IMO).

BIG worm
11-01-2012, 10:21 AM
People saying Jrue is overpaid must not have seen him play much. Dude is really good and still improving. His length can make him an elite defender. Great deal for Philly.

basketfan4life
11-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Solid signing for both sides.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-01-2012, 10:30 AM
jrue has potential.
honestly wtf greg oden got paid 8 mill while he was injured last year and derozan got paid 10mil while his shooting is pathetic.

this is not a bad deal at all.

TheIlladelph16
11-01-2012, 10:33 AM
I don't really understand how anyone can truly criticize this deal. He is a borderline elite or at least the potential to be an elite defender at the 1 & 2 and his offensive has improved. With the amount of shooters on the perimeter this year, I expect those numbers to jump up nicely.

Great deal for the team and Jrue. Definitely was not worth a max contract, but this deal is spot on for his value.

JasonJohnHorn
11-01-2012, 11:29 AM
I think the 76ers would have been better off to let him go into restricted free agency and let the market decide his price. I think teams like Philly and Toronto, are simply outbiding themselves with these deals (not that I mean to compare Jrue and DeMar, Jrue is clearly the better player of the two and is more deserving of the dela than is DeRozen).

You've got to contextualize this though. Jrue has been getting starting minutes and only posting 14 points and less than 5 assists. Granted, he's a solid three-point shooter and he's no slouch on defense, but is that worth 10 million a year? I mean, good for Jrue getting the deal, but, would another team have offered him that much? Philly doesn't usually make stupid moves, and they've gotten a close look at this guy for three years now, so I'm going to guess that they plan on putting more in his hands. The departure of Iggy and Williams tells me that they will likely be depending on Jrue more for ball handling, and perhaps Philly wants to put more in Jrue's hands than in Turner's at this point, and that doesn't seem unreasonable.

I like Williams and Iggy a lot...and Brand was really starting to fit in, though still overpaid. I thought that Philly had something special with the players they had, but getting Bynum was obviously a big opprotunity. I'm all over the map with Philly's offseason, but i'm hoping it works our for them.

This contract isn't crazy, and I suppose the organization wanted to know, moving forward, that they had a PG for the long term since they let Iggy and Williams go in the offseason, so it makes sense, but still, I would have let him test the market.

Chronz
11-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Outside of the Harden extension, I think this was easily the second best extension signed today.

I like Taj extension, was disappointed with Jrue last year.

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 11:41 AM
People saying Jrue is overpaid must not have seen him play much. Dude is really good and still improving. His length can make him an elite defender. Great deal for Philly.

This. Jrue didn't post super efficient numbers in his last few seasons, but I think a lot of that has to do with him playing on an insanely crowded backcourt and not having the ball in his hands that much. I think his assists will skyrocket this season and his scoring efficiency will improve, as well. By the end of this contract, I think $10 million a year will seem like a steal.

sixer04fan
11-01-2012, 11:47 AM
This. Jrue didn't post super efficient numbers in his last few seasons, but I think a lot of that has to do with him playing on an insanely crowded backcourt and not having the ball in his hands that much. I think his assists will skyrocket this season and his scoring efficiency will improve, as well. By the end of this contract, I think $10 million a year will seem like a steal.

I agree. I'm starting to truly believe that Jrue's lack of statistical production (which doesn't include his defense and leadership) was mostly due to the fact that Iggy played a huge role as a distributor and ball handler last year.

Well, Iggy's gone now, and it's the Jrue show. I can see Jrue stepping up to 15 and 8 this year. And Bynum's presence is only going to help him whenever he comes back.

Chronz
11-01-2012, 11:53 AM

Its not like Doug didnt try to hand him the offense, early in 2010 the offense ran through Jrue until it became apparent that Iggy was the better decision maker. That probably says more about Iggy than it says about Jrue so 10M isnt a drastic reach given his potential but based on what hes proven its still something of a gamble. When is the kid going to get to the line? I know hes not a speedster but hes big and strong.

Chronz
11-01-2012, 11:56 AM
I agree. I'm starting to truly believe that Jrue's lack of statistical production (which doesn't include his defense and leadership) was mostly due to the fact that Iggy played a huge role as a distributor and ball handler last year.

Well, Iggy's gone now, and it's the Jrue show. I can see Jrue stepping up to 15 and 8 this year. And Bynum's presence is only going to help him whenever he comes back.

That doesnt explain the lack of improvement in that system. And Bynums presence could limit his assists. How will Jrue respond to the added scoring burden? Will he finally start getting to the line or replace long 2's for 3's. Thats what its going to take to become a better scorer because hes already strong from midrange

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Its not like Doug didnt try to hand him the offense, early in 2010 the offense ran through Jrue until it became apparent that Iggy was the better decision maker. That probably says more about Iggy than it says about Jrue so 10M isnt a drastic reach given his potential but based on what hes proven its still something of a gamble. When is the kid going to get to the line? I know hes not a speedster but hes big and strong.

I think, above all else, that has to be the biggest improvement in his game this season. He's got to get to the line five or six times a game to be a more efficient scorer and jump up into that second tier of NBA point guards. The assists will come, but he has to be more aggressive driving to the basket.

HowFit
11-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Reasonable deal...

MagicBucsSox
11-01-2012, 02:17 PM
The stats dont point out his great defense the stats dont take into account that he has good size for the position and the ability to play 2 positions on BOTH ends of the court the stats dont point out that he was Held back by IGGY and lou between 1 playing point forward and the other Chucking his brains out Jrue lacked consistent touches

You also failed your bring up how much better he played in the playoffs..
Mabye try wacthing the games before u comment on players next time

See every game he's ever played damn near. I hate when ppl like u say stuff like that. It's foolish. He ain't worth that

And his reg season stats and postseason are damn near identical. Where's the "play better"? Stop tryna convince yourself

Byronicle
11-01-2012, 02:22 PM
in comparison to other signings, this is a pretty good deal

popo85
11-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Good deal

king4day
11-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Probably a smart move. Chances are another team out there would have signed him to a big deal next season. Philly has some guys it needs to lock up and it's best to do it before their values go up.

sixer04fan
11-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Probably a smart move. Chances are another team out there would have signed him to a big deal next season. Philly has some guys it needs to lock up and it's best to do it before their values go up.

Eh... Besides Bynum, who will be looking at a max deal after the season pretty much no matter what, who else do we need to lock up?

The only permanent building blocks are Jrue and Bynum. After that, Thad Young is signed for 4 more seasons. Besides that, who do we need to lock up? Turner? No... He's been severely underwhelming since he came into the league and he doesn't appear to be a good fit with Jrue, who they want to dominate the ball now that Iggy is gone. Everyone else on the team is pretty much on one or two year deals, and while they are good players, they are replaceable role players, a la Hawes, Wright, Nick Young, Lavoy Allen, etc.

Besides Bynum, I think the Sixers are done "locking up" players for a while. Or at least players that are currently on their own team.

M.Bibby2.0
11-01-2012, 03:47 PM
The Kings will regret not offering Tyreke one of these 10/year offers, he's an RFA in the summer and he will get some fat offer sheets I suspect.

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 03:50 PM
The Kings will regret not offering Tyreke one of these 10/year offers, he's an RFA in the summer and he will get some fat offer sheets I suspect.

If I'm Sacramento, I let Tyreke walk with a hand shake, a smile and a "Don't let the door hit you on the way out." He's an insanely inefficient scorer with no jump shot and nowhere near good enough playmaking ability to play PG. He's going to get a ridiculous contract that he doesn't deserve, and if I'm Sacramento, I wouldn't let it be me.

sixer04fan
11-01-2012, 03:51 PM

Not sure Tyreke would be too interested in a 4/40M type deal right now. I'd bet he believes he's worth more. And I'm not sure the Kings would interested in committing to him either, based on his steady regression after his rookie year.