PDA

View Full Version : Dan Haren's Destination

SACNYY
10-31-2012, 08:29 PM
So the Angels are trying hard to trade him. Where does he end up? I've always been a fan of his, so I'd like to see him end up in New York. They've already traded Santana to KC today. Haren should be traded very soon.

Vintage
10-31-2012, 08:32 PM
Yankees need to make this happen. Haren is such an underrated starter.

Nomar
10-31-2012, 08:32 PM
Boston :pray:

Yankee Clipper
10-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Yankees need to make this happen. Haren is such an underrated starter.

Especially if he was slated as a #3 starter in the rotation. That would be great.

Rush
10-31-2012, 08:44 PM
There's an offseason trade idea thread for things like this. Just FYI.

Ty Fast
10-31-2012, 08:49 PM
the only way they trade him is if they re sign zach greinke

Vintage
10-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Especially if he was slated as a #3 starter in the rotation. That would be great.

For sure.

CC
Kuroda
Haren

would be fantastic.

ciaban
10-31-2012, 08:58 PM

this is exactly right, if we can't keep grienke there is no way we will let local product dan haren go, also, we traded Santana because we didn't want to keep him, i don't think that's with haren he had one bad year but other wise is very consistent. We also had 6 starters so someone had to go, i think it will take a lot more than a minor league reliever to get haren from the angels

ciaban
10-31-2012, 08:58 PM
For sure.

CC
Kuroda
Haren

would be fantastic.
apparently the dodgers are interested in bringing kuroda back, so don't get to hasty.

Vintage
10-31-2012, 09:06 PM
apparently the dodgers are interested in bringing kuroda back, so don't get to hasty.

Let them throw another 23 million dollars at a reliever. Hiroki deserves to stay in NY we loved him. So consistent.

JdKing7
10-31-2012, 09:14 PM
I'd be pretty upset if Kuroda left the Yanks for any team. He was the definition of consistent and the Yankees best starter for a majority of the season.

SACNYY
10-31-2012, 09:15 PM

That's not true. All the reports are that they are aggressively trying to trade starter Dan Haren.

JdKing7
10-31-2012, 09:15 PM
But i would absolutely love to have Haren in a Yankee uni.

CarniifeX
10-31-2012, 09:18 PM
Honestly, I think he's staying put. I'm thinking they re-sign him for like 3/35 or something.

LakersA's49ers
10-31-2012, 09:20 PM
haren is a perfect fit for a hitters ballpark. pure groundball pitcher

JdKing7
10-31-2012, 09:20 PM
I can defiantly see Boston being players for him if the reports are true

More-Than-Most
10-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Hopefully in front of a bus... This ****er cost me huge from a fantasy perspective. Though I would like him on the Phillies lol

netsgiantsyanks
10-31-2012, 09:25 PM
i could definitely see him on the yankees....which is probably why he won't be a yankee lol.

infernoscurse
10-31-2012, 09:34 PM
the reason they are trading haren and erv is to resign greinke, hes reported to b traded by friday

i like haren but I dont want to give up much for him, i believe hes in decline and as long as they chace him as a 3rd to 4th starter i dont want no part of him to be extended

cubbiefan_est88
10-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Cubbies they could deal him at the deadline

Jays Claw
10-31-2012, 09:45 PM
The Jays could use a guy like Haren.

Haren
Marcum/Jackson ?
Morrow
Romero
Happ

t327
10-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Let them throw another 23 million dollars at a reliever. Hiroki deserves to stay in NY we loved him. So consistent.

So LA fans did not love Hiroki? He was a very solid pitcher with the Dodgers. I'm sure the Dodgers could throw another $23 million to bring him back for a couple years.

PatelJ1010
10-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Angels want more for Haren in term of prospects. Look for a team starving of pitching to deal for him like Miami, Houston, & Cleveland. If I needed to make a definite prediction I would say Houston because their isn't a exp. vet SP

Eagles4Lyfe
10-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Dont forget Toronto^^
We are pitcher hungry, high end ones

natepro
10-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Angels want more for Haren in term of prospects. Look for a team starving of pitching to deal for him like Miami, Houston, & Cleveland. If I needed to make a definite prediction I would say Houston because their isn't a exp. vet SP

Houston is now in our division, which might make that less likely.

ciaban
10-31-2012, 10:42 PM
deserves? that's a strong word, as if any other place would be a punishment, he loved LA in 2011 he turned down trade offers because he didn't want to play else where. He would still be a dodger if McCourt wasn't so cheap, and with the Stienbreners looking to cut payroll below the luxury tax line, if we want him, we will get him. Now Yankee fans get to learn what it's like to loose players they love because someone else has bigger wallets.

Vintage
10-31-2012, 10:46 PM
deserves? that's a strong word, as if any other place would be a punishment, he loved LA in 2011 he turned down trade offers because he didn't want to play else where. He would still be a dodger if McCourt wasn't so cheap, and with the Stienbreners looking to cut payroll below the luxury tax line, if we want him, we will get him. Now Yankee fans get to learn what it's like to loose players they love because someone else has bigger wallets.

:laugh:

Lol at Dodger fan idiocy. Yet again.

MetsFanatic19
10-31-2012, 10:48 PM
If the Mets planned on contending and taking on money, he would be perfect for them in my opinion. He'd be the perfect veteran guy who can reliably be a number 2 or 3 starter and be a role model for the younger guys like Harvey, Wheeler, Niese, Gee, Mejia, and Familia. Whoever ends up with him should be very fortunate. He's always been one of my favorite pitchers.

Mudvayne91
10-31-2012, 10:54 PM
Hopefully in front of a bus... This ****er cost me huge from a fantasy perspective. Though I would like him on the Phillies lol

Indeed, he was downright awful.

I can understand wanting the guy because of what he's done in years past, but he was pretty awful last year. 15.3 is a fair chunk of change for a player you don't really know what you're going to get.

gaughan333
10-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Indeed, he was downright awful.

I can understand wanting the guy because of what he's done in years past, but he was pretty awful last year. 15.3 is a fair chunk of change for a player you don't really know what you're going to get.

Not if you have infinite money

Rush
10-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Has anyone mentioned Colorado?

ciaban
10-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Has anyone mentioned Colorado?

i would feel really bad for him lol.

Pfeifer
10-31-2012, 11:36 PM
He would fit the bill perfectly in Toronto. What would the angels be looking for as far as prospects go?

ciaban
11-01-2012, 12:12 AM
He would fit the bill perfectly in Toronto. What would the angels be looking for as far as prospects go?

brett lawrie! lol

um honestly, idk, maybe good relievers back personally.

Killerjug
11-01-2012, 12:41 AM
if minnesota was even remotely clost to competing i'd say us because our pitching staff is hideous

Jeffy25
11-01-2012, 12:43 AM
I wish STL had a place for him, I miss him.

But he makes no sense for us.

agureghian
11-01-2012, 12:50 AM
love to have him back on the A's

thrice4
11-01-2012, 01:09 AM
Does anyone think the brewers would have pieces to get him?

DeyAce
11-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Hope the White Sox go for him

Jeffy25
11-01-2012, 01:48 AM
So, everyone is in agreement.....

Everybody wants their team to land him :)

OldStyleCubbies
11-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Cubs :pray:

Halladay
11-01-2012, 03:32 AM
Haren, along with any frontend starter makes a ton of sense for the Jays. Whether it be trade or through free agency, I can see AA going after at least 2 starters. I don't like Harens drop in velocity but he could slide in as a number 3 here.

ciaban
11-01-2012, 05:20 AM
Does anyone think the brewers would have pieces to get him?
can we have back some of what we gave up for grienke?

the angels want to trade him, so almost everyone :)

Cubs :pray:
what would you do with him other than not make the playoffs again!

LAFord
11-01-2012, 07:14 AM

Everybody wants their team to land him :)I don't want him. I have a problem with injury prone pitchers. :(

Jeffy25
11-01-2012, 08:25 AM
I don't want him. I have a problem with injury prone pitchers. :(

Dan Haren is injury prone?
:confused:

Something about throwing 200 innings 7 consecutive seasons tells me otherwise

Only CC has thrown more innings since 2005

Pinstripe pride
11-01-2012, 08:32 AM
if minnesota was even remotely clost to competing i'd say us because our pitching staff is hideous

he just looks like the kind of guy minnesota would have.

Pinstripe pride
11-01-2012, 08:33 AM
i'd like to see him on the yankees, but my guess is he ends up in boston

natepro
11-01-2012, 08:40 AM
It makes me sad that we're not keeping him. I really like him, and think he's almost criminally underrated.

Jeffy25
11-01-2012, 08:43 AM
It makes me sad that we're not keeping him. I really like him, and think he's almost criminally underrated.

I have always called him the Matt Holliday of pitchers (helps that they both have Cardinals ties)

Good at everything, not great at anything. Have never been the 'go-to' guy in the lineup/rotation, but have always been the consistent all-star caliber guy that anchors a good team. Both have moved around a little bit, which keeps a fan base from locking on to them.

I wish the Cardinals had never traded him, and he and Wainwright and Carpenter could have been stuck together all these years.

thrice4
11-01-2012, 08:59 AM
I have always called him the Matt Holliday of pitchers (helps that they both have Cardinals ties)

Good at everything, not great at anything. Have never been the 'go-to' guy in the lineup/rotation, but have always been the consistent all-star caliber guy that anchors a good team. Both have moved around a little bit, which keeps a fan base from locking on to them.

I wish the Cardinals had never traded him, and he and Wainwright and Carpenter could have been stuck together all these years.

You guys prolly would have won even more! Its good to give other teams in the central a chance and not have a rotation with a top three like that haha

RTL
11-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Glad the Giants don't need him. I can see a lot of teams going after him, just hope the Dodgers don't land him.

nithanyo
11-01-2012, 12:16 PM
AA needs to get up off his *** and get this guy. Did the angels pickup the option

SenorGato
11-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Anyone else worried about the significant drop in velocity? The mileage on the arm? What level of production do you guys expect?

iAugust
11-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Anyone else worried about the significant drop in velocity? The mileage on the arm? What level of production do you guys expect?

Yeah I'm surprised at how gung-ho everyone is about him in here. He's 32 years old, coming off a lower back injury and the worst year of his career. His velocity, k-rate and swinging strike % have all been dropping for 4 years now, this isn't something that just happened last year due to injuries. He has also been throwing less strikes and pitching to more contact for 4 years in the making.

That doesn't sound like the kind of guy I would want to give up top prospects for or shell out $15m a year for. I think whoever ends up with this guy is going to feel like they overpaid for him.

Maintain87
11-01-2012, 01:40 PM
11:14am: The Red Sox have no interest in acquiring Wells, Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal reports.

10:15am: Dipoto could try to send Vernon Wells to the Red Sox along with Haren, Mike DiGiovanna of the LA Times suggests (Twitter link). Perhaps the Angels would obtain John Lackey in an exchange of bad contracts.

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that Wells is in play for others (Twitter links). The Angels are actively trying to trade Wells, who has a full no-trade clause and $42MM remaining on his contract through 2014.

9:00am: The Red Sox are among the teams interested in Dan Haren, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports (on Twitter). The Angels appear to be working to trade Haren and have been weighing possible deals for at least three days.

Haren's contract includes a $15.5MM option with a $3.5MM buyout. The Angels are expected to decline the option if they don’t complete a trade first. Yesterday GM Jerry Dipoto sent Ervin Santana to Kansas City for minor league left-hander Brandon Sisk in a move that could be a precursor to a trade involving Haren.

The 32-year-old started 30 games for the Angels this past season. He posted a 4.33 ERA with 7.2 K/9 and 1.9 BB/9 in 176 2/3 innings, numbers that fall short of his career norms.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#EMYyxtjvPL41hSPh.99

Fack!

ATL#22
11-01-2012, 01:41 PM

It's wrong but I think it's because he's never had an insanely low ERA. Thats how Greinke got noticed

todu82
11-01-2012, 03:26 PM
He's going to be a name to watch this off-season. I'm hoping he ends up in Boston.

LAFord
11-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Dan Haren is injury prone?
:confused:

Something about throwing 200 innings 7 consecutive seasons tells me otherwise

Only CC has thrown more innings since 2005

Well he didn't last season (176 IP) and he's getting older. I heard from Angel fans he's had back issues, those usually don't go away as you get older. He's not exactly a candidate for missing a season though, so yeah I exagerated a bit, but what matters is his last season, not his 7 prior with back problems.

popo85
11-01-2012, 04:02 PM
No one is going to want that bum Wells included in a deal.

Pfeifer
11-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Haren, along with any frontend starter makes a ton of sense for the Jays. Whether it be trade or through free agency, I can see AA going after at least 2 starters. I don't like Harens drop in velocity but he could slide in as a number 3 here.

I agree totally. I think he is a smart enough pitcher to overcome the loss of velocity and being a ground ball pitcher is what we need at Rogers centre.

dballss
11-01-2012, 05:25 PM
8 straight years of 30+ starts, 6/8 seasons with 3ish era...thats consistency right there

Jeffy25
11-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Well he didn't last season (176 IP) and he's getting older. I heard from Angel fans he's had back issues, those usually don't go away as you get older. He's not exactly a candidate for missing a season though, so yeah I exagerated a bit, but what matters is his last season, not his 7 prior with back problems.

176 innings is nothing to sneeze at, it's the sign of a strong durable starter.

he has always battled some back issues, but still posted 1800 innings in the last 8 seasons.

I would take Haren in a heartbeat on any rotation.

Rylinkus
11-01-2012, 05:34 PM

he has always battled some back issues, but still posted 1800 innings in the last 8 seasons.

As would most GMs

natepro
11-01-2012, 05:51 PM

And despite those back problems, he's been on the disabled list exactly once in his career.

JobaRules26
11-01-2012, 06:14 PM
I'd love to have him in New York. I see him going to Toronto or Boston.

natsbats
11-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Nobody cares about him being 33 next September with a lot of wear and tear and all signs pointing to a decline.....for 12 million+ for 3 years at least?

Doesn't seem like a good investment.

Jays Claw
11-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Why exactly are the Angels trading him? So they could offer more money to Greinke? I would imagine a team like the Angels won't mind to keep assets at the expense of increasing payroll. I guess not...

ciaban
11-01-2012, 07:30 PM

holliday has great power.

No one is going to want that bum Wells included in a deal.
the idea is that the angels take a bad contract back their way like John Lackey

the angels don't feel the same as you, and haven't you said the cards have zero place for him?

Jeffy25
11-01-2012, 07:39 PM
the angels don't feel the same as you, and haven't you said the cards have zero place for him?

I'm speaking in generalities.

If he was making league min, no team in baseball wouldn't want him on their rotation.

The issue is that he is going to top 10 million in 2013 regardless.

And yes, we don't have a spot for him, we have about our first 8 rotation spots filled.

If he joined our rotation, he would probably be our number 3-4 starter (behind Carp and Waino, possibly behind Garcia/Lynn/Miller depending on success moving forward). But we have young guys that it's their turn, and we don't have the need to waste 10+ million, even if I do like him.

ruckus16969
11-01-2012, 08:10 PM
There's an offseason trade idea thread for things like this. Just FYI.

Really it bothers you that much??? Relax bud

I can defiantly see Boston being players for him if the reports are true

If had to bet right now I would say to Boston for a BP arm

Houston is now in our division, which might make that less likely.

I keep forgetting that and still seems weird to me still

i'd like to see him on the yankees, but my guess is he ends up in boston

I hope so. My gut feeling is saying Boston

8 straight years of 30+ starts, 6/8 seasons with 3ish era...thats consistency right there

I never realized how much of a horse this guys is

the idea is that the angels take a bad contract back their way like John Lackey

I have a feeling Lackey is going be allot better now that he has had surgery. He may end up being a really solid 3 or 4 guy. If he winds up turning things around this year his contract won't look so bad.

Maintain87
11-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Nobody cares about him being 33 next September with a lot of wear and tear and all signs pointing to a decline.....for 12 million+ for 3 years at least?

Doesn't seem like a good investment.

Three years isn't exactly an investment. Haren would win 15 games next year if he stays healthy. In the MLB a win = $1,000,000.00. 12 mill is average if you ask me.

Kelly Gruber
11-01-2012, 08:32 PM
He'll be good for a couple years, tack on a year because that's how FA works. He'll get 3 years without much trouble.

Rush
11-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Really it bothers you that much??? Relax bud

I'm just saying. People will be making more threads in the offseason about possible destinations for players when we have a thread dedicated for that. Just more clutter that isn't needed.

Rush
11-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Angels still working on dealing Haren before deadline and are not interested on picking up option and trying to trade later. Expect a trade

- Jim Bowden

The Red Sox and Cubs are among a few teams talking to the Angels about Dan Haren, who could be traded in advance of an option that is coming due.

- Jon Heyman

Gibby23
11-02-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm speaking in generalities.

If he was making league min, no team in baseball wouldn't want him on their rotation.The issue is that he is going to top 10 million in 2013 regardless.

And yes, we don't have a spot for him, we have about our first 8 rotation spots filled.

If he joined our rotation, he would probably be our number 3-4 starter (behind Carp and Waino, possibly behind Garcia/Lynn/Miller depending on success moving forward). But we have young guys that it's their turn, and we don't have the need to waste 10+ million, even if I do like him.

Thats not saying much.

DRose01
11-02-2012, 01:57 PM
cubs should offer marmol for haren. fills the angels need for a closer.

grandsalami
11-02-2012, 07:43 PM

Yancen Pujols ‏@YancenPujols
Carlos Marmol (Cubs) have been traded to the Angels. The pitcher confirms the move to @ElCaribeRD. "Anaheim is a good team".

Wrench
11-02-2012, 07:49 PM
MikeDiGiovanna

#Angels are on the verge of trading RHP Dan Haren to the #Cubs for RH reliever Carlos Marmol.

j-bay
11-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Haren's a good pitcher. But the Cubs need more than Haren to turn the Cubs around to a .500 win ball club.

ZamboniCub
11-02-2012, 08:03 PM
haren will turn into more for the cubs thats the point of the deal bra

MetsFanatic19
11-02-2012, 08:06 PM

Good call man!

1908_Cubs
11-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Haren's a good pitcher. But the Cubs need more than Haren to turn the Cubs around to a .500 win ball club.

Doubt that's really the plan here. Although, if you get a healthy Garza, 2012 Samadrjiza and a resurgence from Haren, they'll have a 1-2-3 that might be good enough to keep them around for the first half of the season.

More than likely they're thinking that Haren will be able to be flipped for much more at the deadline than Marmol.