PDA

View Full Version : Is there friction between Eric Gordon, Hornets about his knee?

spreadeagle
10-31-2012, 06:59 PM
We told you today that the Hornets Eric Gordon is out indefinitely with a bum knee, which means he will be sitting when the Hornets tip off the season Wednesday night against the Spurs. That is the same knee he missed most of last season with following surgery, the one that has slowed him all preseason. The same knee that the Hornets ignored when giving Gordon a max $58 million extension this summer.

What exactly is the problem with Gordon’s knee? Therein lies the rub.

Hornets GM Dell Demps was pretty vague about what is going on. Or when we might expect him back. Or anything Gordon related. From the Times-Picayune (as pointed out by Deadspin):

“He’s processing some information right now and he doesn’t have any comment,” Demps said, without discussing just what that information was. “We don’t have any comment right now. We’re processing information and we will, at the appropriate time, give a statement.”

Okay… “processing some information.” Not sure what that means exactly, but the tone was pretty terse. Coach Monty Williams, you want to shed some light on how Gordon is feeling and what is going on?

“He probably does feel pain; that would be the only reason why a guy can’t play,” Williams said. “For me to try to read an MRI … I’ll find out more as we go forward. I try to not get into all that because that would just make me upset…

“I’ve checked with Doc,” Williams said, “but for him to explain to me what’s going on with his body and then have Eric feel a certain way doesn’t matter. You know what I’m saying? If Doc says one thing and the guy is feeling another, then you have to . . . what am I supposed to say?

“I’m sure it’s got to be medical. A guy just can’t not play. It’s got to be medical. At this point of the year, everybody is excited to play. I’m sure it’s medical.”

It sounds a whole lot like the Hornets doctors say Gordon is ready to go and he says he still has pain and is not. The problem is only the player really knows what he’s feeling. And like Williams said, it’s hard to imagine Gordon just sitting out because, that’s really not who he is. He’s a competitor.

But there seems to be a lot of friction between the Hornets and Gordon over how much friction is in his knee.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=41

Guppyfighter
10-31-2012, 07:01 PM
If that is true the contract could be voided.

mdm692
10-31-2012, 07:11 PM
^^^:pray:

Hawkeye15
10-31-2012, 07:14 PM
this is sad honestly.

Duncan = Donkey
10-31-2012, 07:16 PM
lol

mdm692
10-31-2012, 07:17 PM
this is sad honestly.

It really is to tell you the truth. NOH have gone through so much the past couple years. Don't take this the wrong way, but at least Minny players want to play there but theres something about the NOH that makes the star players want to leave.

dee279
10-31-2012, 07:17 PM
Void contract. He doesnt deserve it one bit.

OldStyleCubbies
10-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Come back home Eric, come back home. You belong here :pray:. We'll give NO Granger...

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-31-2012, 07:58 PM
This is a perfect opportunity for the Bulls to get Eric Gordon.

Gibson + expiring contract of Hamilton (I think 3rd yr is team option) + 1st rd Pick + 2nd rd Pick.

Rose
Gordon
Deng
Boozer
Noah

:drool:

JasonJohnHorn
10-31-2012, 08:00 PM
I've never been impressed with Eric Grodon. He is a good 3pt shooter and shooter in general. But his productiviety was put out on a losing team. He's a decent passer, but he's a little undersized for the position. He posted a 20+ point per season, but so did Mike James. I need to see that sustained, or put up on a team that is competing with the elite. There is no way I would have given Gordon that contract. It was NOH's mistake for doing so. I would have worked out a trade, like OKC did for Harden if i knew others would pay him that much and that I would lose him for nothing in free agency. I'd rather have a couple of first round draft picks than over pay for an unproven talent who is going through a severe knee injury. But that's just me.

As for friction between the team and Gordon, I expect there is a lot. The team has to support their player. I understand they are paying him millions of dollars, but at the end of the day, an employees health is the most important thing. If he's not able to play due to pain, they have to trust that he is being straight forward and look at getting him the help he needs.

It was obvious that Gordon did not want to play in NO last year and during free agency, and it is clear that he did not want NO to match any offer sheets he signed. I can see that there might be tension on both sides, because this is not an ideal situation, but both parties have to trust that the other is being honest.

Hopefully this gets put behind them both soon and Gordon will prove that he is worth the money they are paying him, but something tells me that is not going to be the case.

sunsfan88
10-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Hey New Orleans, karma is a b***h huh?

Thank god for them matching our offer!! :D

Guppyfighter
10-31-2012, 08:19 PM

He would have played for you if the rumor is true. Which I don't think we should assume is true.

Hawkeye15
10-31-2012, 08:20 PM
It really is to tell you the truth. NOH have gone through so much the past couple years. Don't take this the wrong way, but at least Minny players want to play there but theres something about the NOH that makes the star players want to leave.

I don't mean this to piss off the few NO fans we have here, but its obviously a city not able to carry a team. The Jazz left, they needed the NBA to save them recently, nobody is interested in playing there, and its just sad when there are a couple other markets that have a fan base and the means to get a team.

Ebbs
10-31-2012, 08:21 PM
This is such a sad story. Gordon is a legit player when healthy.

sunsfan88
10-31-2012, 08:35 PM
He would have played for you if the rumor is true. Which I don't think we should assume is true.

Haha yea I know. When Gordon said his "heart is in Phoenix" New Orleans should have taken the hint but now....HAHAHAHAAHAHAH!

Where are all the NO fans talking crap to me when we signed him to the offer sheet?

JeffG20
10-31-2012, 10:43 PM

lol i love how personal you take this.....says alot about you that it bothers you that much

JeffG20
10-31-2012, 10:45 PM
Haha yea I know. When Gordon said his "heart is in Phoenix" New Orleans should have taken the hint but now....HAHAHAHAAHAHAH!

Where are all the NO fans talking crap to me when we signed him to the offer sheet?

either way we can trade him at some point....not sure why you have such a boner about this

xxplayerxx23
10-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Why is that sun fan laughing? Gordan still wont be a sun anytime soon.

JeffG20
10-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Why is that sun fan laughing? Gordan still wont be a sun anytime soon.

yea, not really getting it either....

waveycrockett
10-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Sounds like he is screwing them lol

xxplayerxx23
10-31-2012, 11:00 PM
I'd look into voiding his contract, somehow prove it.
Things are on the up for NOH, Davis looks like a monster, Would suck because I love Gordan but if this is true look into it.

KnickaBocka.44
10-31-2012, 11:02 PM
They already have his successor in Austin Rivers. Making a player stay when he really doesn't want to never works out well

Sadds The Gr8
10-31-2012, 11:05 PM
don't be a douche Gordon i need u for fantasy

waveycrockett
10-31-2012, 11:07 PM
They already have his successor in Austin Rivers. Making a player stay when he really doesn't want to never works out well

Austin Rivers is not half the player Eric Gordon is.

xxplayerxx23
10-31-2012, 11:07 PM
don't be a douche Gordon i need u for fantasy

This x100

Mr. Baller
10-31-2012, 11:10 PM
disgraceful if true. i'd suspend him w/o pay then. make him waste his time on the bench.

netsgiantsyanks
10-31-2012, 11:10 PM
should have took the hint and not match the sheet. their problem now.

KnickaBocka.44
10-31-2012, 11:15 PM

I agree, but if the plan is to develop him as the PG it won't work out with him adn Gordon in the backcourt because Rivers doesn't seem to like to defer too much. Basically what I meant to say is it was a waste of a pick.

JeffG20
10-31-2012, 11:16 PM

as long as rivers can at least stay on the floor he's already more useful then him

waveycrockett
10-31-2012, 11:19 PM
as long as rivers can at least stay on the floor he's already more useful then him
Rivers is just one of those players who likes to get his. It would be one thing if he had the physical ability of Kobe but he is nothing special athletically. Best thing for NOLA to do is wait Gordon out and hope that Davis can convince him to want to be a part of the rebuilding process. Taking Austin Rivers is probably a big reason Gordon doesn't want to be there. Rivers is a typical punk baller who thinks he is better than he really is because he's had so many groupies his entire life. See OJ Mayo, JR Smith, Lance Stephenson and Sebastian Telafair. He should be behind Jarrett Jack and Grevis Vasquez for a long time.

KnickaBocka.44
10-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Rivers is just one of those players who likes to get his. It would be one thing if he had the physical ability of Kobe but he is nothing special athletically. Best thing for NOLA to do is wait Gordon out and hope that Davis can convince him to stay. Taking Austin Rivers is probably a big reason Gordon doesn't want to be there. Rivers is a typical punk baller who thinks he is better than he really is because he's had so many groupies his entire life. He should be behind Jarrett Jack and Grevis Vasquez for a long time.

Jarrett Jack is in Golden State now. I agree with your analysis of Rivers though. And Vasquez had a good game tonight, I like him as a big PG.

topdog
10-31-2012, 11:27 PM

Just like the Blazers "shouldn't have matched Batum" who was the first to purportedly say, "my heart is [elsewhere]?"

That's just a ridiculous statement.

aussie
11-01-2012, 12:01 AM
pfft, it'll all work in our favour so dw, lottery rig round 2.

PacersForLife
11-01-2012, 12:09 AM
I don't know if it's just New Orleans or what. I think Eric either wants to be back home, in Pheonix, or in a big market. That's the only way to make him happy. Family is obviously important to him, but it's selfish of him to do this to the Hornets. They could be nice if he played...

Then again maybe he really is injured... who knows.

Losoway
11-01-2012, 12:11 AM
they should have just let him go to phoenix! smh

imagesrdecievin
11-01-2012, 12:20 AM
NO should take the hint and then sit him down and let him know that they will trade him going forward but they need him back on the court in order to get his value back up.

Be a good soldier, show you can play and we'll work with you on where you get dealt to.

RaiderKid318
11-01-2012, 12:30 AM
lol people saying they should just let him walk know NOTHING about the business stand point of sports. You do not let a "star" player walk if he wants to be there or not. If anything you sign him and trade him when you are allowed too. Worse case scenario we trade him to a team that thinks he will be healthy for( phx please to shut their damn fans up) or his contract gets voided and he gets a suspension and probably a **** contract for the rest of his career haha

netsgiantsyanks
11-01-2012, 12:47 AM
Just like the Blazers "shouldn't have matched Batum" who was the first to purportedly say, "my heart is [elsewhere]?"

That's just a ridiculous statement.

is batum rumored to be faking a injury?

Duncan = Donkey
11-01-2012, 12:52 AM
cant blame the dude, who would would to play for the Hornets......seriously?

sunsfan88
11-01-2012, 01:00 AM
either way we can trade him at some point....not sure why you have such a boner about this
Hahaha you think some other team is going to trade for him?! NO is likely going to have to trade multiple 1st rd picks to just get rid of his contract.

No other team in the NBA will trade for him because a) his injury history and b) he wants to play for no team other than the Suns

I think NO will hang on to him for the rest of this season and then next off season the Hornets will trade us a 1st rd pick and probably Vazquez for us to take on Gordon.

sunsfan88
11-01-2012, 01:04 AM
they should have just let him go to phoenix! smh

Exactly. Even Gordon ripped the Hornets FO for how they drafted another SG when they clearly needed more size.

topdog
11-01-2012, 01:04 AM
is batum rumored to be faking a injury?

No, and that's my point. You said:

I am simply stating that Batum also "hinted" he wanted to go to Minnesota and he's playing very well for the Blazers tonight. In other words, there is no reasonable assumption to be made that matching (even if only to trade in December) would lead to a player potentially acting like a child who didn't get his way.

dhopisthename
11-01-2012, 01:05 AM

I'd rather for the hornets with with anthony davis then anyone the suns have

topdog
11-01-2012, 01:08 AM
Hahaha you think some other team is going to trade for him?! NO is likely going to have to trade multiple 1st rd picks to just get rid of his contract.

No other team in the NBA will trade for him because a) his injury history and b) he wants to play for no team other than the Suns

I think NO will hang on to him for the rest of this season and then next off season the Hornets will trade us a 1st rd pick and probably Vazquez for us to take on Gordon.

Seriously, are Suns fans this mean-spirited and delusional?

1. The Suns cannot touch Eric Gordon for the duration of the contract that they attempted to sign him to and which was matched. League rules state this.

2. No need to act like it's okay for a player to do this (if he is) because you are disappointed your team didn't get him.

3. Face it. It sucks, but the Suns are on the outside looking in as far as the playoffs go. Cheer for your team regardless, but don't turn to crapping on other teams to make yourself feel better.

4. Eric Gordon has plenty of value to teams that would end up on his "short list" if he is looking to pout/be traded. Indiana would seem to be a very logical option #1.

Juju
11-01-2012, 01:22 AM
that suns fan guy still sounds pretty bitter he didn't get gordon. =l

Gordon is to talk to the media tomorrow after practice. Hopefully he sheds some light on this. I think he's going to get another scope but... hoping for the best. We need him running the show with the Brow. /cry

Sota4Ever
11-01-2012, 01:33 AM

Haha. Who knew Phoenix fans were so delusional.

sunsfan88
11-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Seriously, are Suns fans this mean-spirited and delusional?

1. The Suns cannot touch Eric Gordon for the duration of the contract that they attempted to sign him to and which was matched. League rules state this.

2. No need to act like it's okay for a player to do this (if he is) because you are disappointed your team didn't get him.

3. Face it. It sucks, but the Suns are on the outside looking in as far as the playoffs go. Cheer for your team regardless, but don't turn to crapping on other teams to make yourself feel better.

4. Eric Gordon has plenty of value to teams that would end up on his "short list" if he is looking to pout/be traded. Indiana would seem to be a very logical option #1.
Gordon can be traded after 1 year of signing the offer sheet to the Suns.

Although it was first reported that he can't be traded for the duration of the contract, it was later corrected.

And I told you, I'm not mad or bitter in anyway cause if we had signed Gordon, we wouldn't have had the cap room to go after Scola or acquire the free 1st Ed pick in the Minny trade. I still love Gordon as a player and will continue to root for him to play well (except against us of course)

mdm692
11-01-2012, 01:56 AM

Basically this is it. But no they wanted to **** with the Suns by waiting the entire 3 days to match now Karma is a ***** lol.

topdog
11-01-2012, 02:40 AM
Gordon can be traded after 1 year of signing the offer sheet to the Suns.

Although it was first reported that he can't be traded for the duration of the contract, it was later corrected.

And I told you, I'm not mad or bitter in anyway cause if we had signed Gordon, we wouldn't have had the cap room to go after Scola or acquire the free 1st Ed pick in the Minny trade. I still love Gordon as a player and will continue to root for him to play well (except against us of course)

He can be traded to any team except the Suns. Here's the link to ESPN Trade Machine: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine Choose New Orleans and drag the arrow over the little red "no" circle under Gordon's name. It shows you trade restrictions. True, he cannot be traded until July 14th, 2013 without his consent (December 15th with consent), but if you read on it says "The players cannot be traded to the team who gave the offer sheet."

sunsfan88
11-01-2012, 03:18 AM
He can be traded to any team except the Suns. Here's the link to ESPN Trade Machine: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine Choose New Orleans and drag the arrow over the little red "no" circle under Gordon's name. It shows you trade restrictions. True, he cannot be traded until July 14th, 2013 without his consent (December 15th with consent), but if you read on it says "The players cannot be traded to the team who gave the offer sheet."

That's cause it's basing off the past CBA. The ESPN "Trade Machine" (lol) has been wrong plenty before.

Here's a better source:

For one year after exercising the right of first refusal to keep a restricted free agent. The player must consent to a trade to any team, although he cannot be traded to the team that signed him to the offer sheet.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q97

I know it's ambiguous and the wording was more clear under the previous CBA but this does mean after the first year the player no longer needs to consent to the trade but can be traded to the team that gave them the offer sheet. Larry Coon replied to this specifically(either via tweet or in a Q&A) and clarified it during the off-season.

NoahH
11-01-2012, 03:46 AM
I don't mean this to piss off the few NO fans we have here, but its obviously a city not able to carry a team. The Jazz left, they needed the NBA to save them recently, nobody is interested in playing there, and its just sad when there are a couple other markets that have a fan base and the means to get a team.

Seattle???? :rolleyes: :pray:

reffahead
11-01-2012, 12:57 PM
I dont get it. All I'm reading is his knee is still tender but he could play if it was anyone but the hornets. The guy has had terrible body language ever since the trade was announced.

He wanted to play in phoenix, that tells you how much he wanted out of new orleans.

RaiderKid318
11-01-2012, 01:05 PM

dude your team sucks too

:facepalm:

JeffG20
11-01-2012, 02:15 PM
we wouldnt have too do jack **** trade or no trade.

"Monty's seems to be saying that the doctor's have cleared Gordon to play but that he is refusing to do do by claiming he is still injured. As an attorney, Gordon could potentially be breaching his contract. If a player is healthy enough to play and refuses to do so, he has breached his contract. The team might have a legal recourse to get out of this deal and get rid of the guy."

PleaseBeNice
11-01-2012, 02:16 PM
This dude is a cry baby

jacquewho?
11-01-2012, 02:19 PM
He was at IU's gym in late August playing pick up games with the students for a couple days. If I'm the Hornets I'm not liking this.

JeffG20
11-01-2012, 02:19 PM
dude your team sucks too

just do like i did and put him on your ignore list....saves the headach of dealing with this guy

topdog
11-01-2012, 04:51 PM
That's cause it's basing off the past CBA. The ESPN "Trade Machine" (lol) has been wrong plenty before.

Here's a better source:

For one year after exercising the right of first refusal to keep a restricted free agent. The player must consent to a trade to any team, although he cannot be traded to the team that signed him to the offer sheet.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q97

I know it's ambiguous and the wording was more clear under the previous CBA but this does mean after the first year the player no longer needs to consent to the trade but can be traded to the team that gave them the offer sheet. Larry Coon replied to this specifically(either via tweet or in a Q&A) and clarified it during the off-season.

You need to find that tweet or Q&A on this one if you want to be right. Check Coon's #10 "What changes did they make..." It's not there. They didn't change the rule.

Your quote says it pretty clearly - "[The player] cannot be traded to the team that signed him to the offer sheet." The ambiguity is that it doesn't add the phrase "for the duration of the contract," but nonetheless "December 15th or 3 months" applies to consent, "one year after" applies to non-consent and "_____" applies to trading to the offer sheet team - meaning it can't happen.

Stunner
11-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
Wow, Eric Gordon may miss whole year. RT @GerrityJoe Gordon said its painful, he doesnt know "at all" when or if he'll be back this season.

AddiX
11-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Da ***?

GiantsSwaGG
11-01-2012, 07:19 PM

You're classless

GiantsSwaGG
11-01-2012, 07:29 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/eric-gordon-attempts-clarify-injury-situation-fails-video-212455222--nba.html

He's clearly faking guys

Wes_Craven
11-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Seattle???? :rolleyes: :pray:

I wish.

mdm692
11-01-2012, 07:38 PM
dude your team sucks too

It's not about what team sucks its about the fact that player aren't interested in the NOH. First CP3, now EJ. Thats 2 stars that have tried to force themselves out of that organization in the last 2 years.

Yabaecip
11-01-2012, 07:42 PM
I hope he's not acting like a wus after he got a big contract. He can be the number one scoring option on a team and possibly an all-star. I really hope he's not taking that for granted. He better not stink it up this year, my fantasy team can't take that haha.

JeffG20
11-01-2012, 07:55 PM
It's not about what team sucks its about the fact that player aren't interested in the NOH. First CP3, now EJ. Thats 2 stars that have tried to force themselves out of that organization in the last 2 years.

difference between those situations is New Orleans has no leverage with the CP3 situation.

Gordon's options are

1. refuse to play and risk getting his contract voided for breach of contract

2. play the injury card and waste years on his career.

3. get some balls and actually play and maybe increase his value and be traded (although not to PHO)

AddiX
11-01-2012, 08:11 PM
I think Gordon is incredibly overrated. But I have a hard time accusing a guy of something like this without real proof.

RaiderKid318
11-02-2012, 12:35 AM

Hmmm let me think of stars that want to play for your team...