PDA

View Full Version : Memo to the Lakers

mightybosstone
10-31-2012, 02:50 PM
(Let me preface what I'm about to say by noting that (despite popular belief), this is NOT a Lakers' hating thread and I'm not trolling for the sake of pissing off an entire fanbase. What I'm simply doing is pointing out something that many Lakers fans are in total denial over and should accept after last night. Also, this is not necessarily time to panic, but this should be a wake up call.)

Dear Lakers Fans,

I've spent the last few months since the Dwight Howard and Steve Nash acquisitions reading countless posts touting how incredible your team is going to be and how likely they are to win the title. After the Harden trade, I read dozens of posts from Lakers fans and non-Lakers fans alike praising how the Lakers were the real winners of the trade, because the Western Conference would likely be a cakewalk for them. All the time I just kept saying "It's not going to be that easy."

Last night should be a slap in the face.

There shouldn't be rioting in the streets or mass suicide outside of the Staples Center, but you should all be a tad concerned right now because the offense was in disarray, Nash looked like a fish out of water and a Mavs team without their best player beat the Lakers in their house in what was supposed to be a revealing of the next great Lakers team.

It wasn't and you should be worried.

Be worried because you have four of arguably the 100 greatest players in the history of the league on one team, but three of them are older than 32 and on the decline and the fourth (Howard) hasn't been locked up long term yet.

Be worried because if this Lakers team doesn't ease its way into the playoffs and make a deep run, that Howard could potentially walk and leave LA with the shattered remains of the possibilities, another gigantic "what if" in the history of the NBA.

Be worried because you have a mediocre coach who could never figure out how to be successful with the best player in the NBA now trying to coach arguably the league's most talented roster. And Phil Jackson is not walking through that door.

But all is not lost.

Eventually they're going to develop some level of chemistry together and they'll realize that you cannot confine Steve Nash to that pathetic excuse for an offense they showed last night. For this team to be successful, the ball has to run through Nash and Kobe has to be a playmaker without the ball in his hands 24/7. If that happens, this team could still be very good. They could contend. They could be champions.

But above all else, be worried because even if they do figure it out, there's never any guarantee. Super teams are not a new development. They've been around since the early years of the NBA, and they were not always successful. Wilt joined the Lakers in 68 with Jerry West and Elgin Baylor, but lost to Bill Russell one more time in the 69 Finals. Philly had Moses, Barkley and Erving (three of the 20 best players in league history) for two seasons in the mid-80s and earned no hardware.

And we just got done a season and a half ago learning that it can take a while for three or more superstars to mesh together and figure out how to play together as we watched the Heat get embarrassed on the biggest stage against a more seasoned, more practiced Mavericks team.

A year and a half later, however, and the Heat have risen from their mediocre beginnings to become champions. Watching them last night and the rest of the league should be concerned with the fact that they looked even better than the team that demolished the second best basketball team in the world in the NBA Finals just a few months ago.

The Heat aren't the only obstacles, either. The Thunder are no cakewalk, nor are the Spurs, the Clippers or the new-look Nuggets. All of these teams should concern you, because while they may not be as talented as your Lakers, they will look better in their openers than your team did last night and all it takes is one bad playoff series for your team to be watching the NBA Finals from a television at their homes.

People will say this thread is an overreaction. That I'm just doing this to piss off Lakers fans because they had one bad game and this is the perfect opportunity to do so. Maybe. Or maybe last night merely personified all the questions and concerns I had going into this season about this team so perfectly that I had to write this down while it still has meaning.

I know it's been easy for you in the past, seeming to always get the players and the outcomes that you want and winning countless titles with star players donning the purple and gold. But wake up Lakers fans. It's October, it's gonna be a long season and you haven't won anything yet.

Sincerely,
The rest of the NBA and its fans

P Harvy
10-31-2012, 02:53 PM
They'll get it together eventually but I do find it comical how cocky Lakers fans are.

I mean a kid on Facebook last night probably posted 10 statuses before the game about Laker this and Laker that, Kobe this and Kobe that, Dwight this and Dwight that.. and when they lost all I could do is sit there and laugh at him. Don't let us sit there and laugh at you. Be humble.

dnewguy
10-31-2012, 02:55 PM
Them dudes are just old...it will take them slower to catch up to the young guns but once they get going, they'll be tough to beat. Same thing happens to the Celtics and Spurs.

LAKERMANIA
10-31-2012, 03:17 PM
One game.

JordansBulls
10-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Going 0-8 in preseason didn't help in the least bit, not a team that talented. But then again the Lakers with that squad could be the 8th seed and still make the finals.

aman_13
10-31-2012, 03:26 PM
One game.

Very true, but I'm sure you guys are acknowledging that there is a cause for concern. In the end tho we need to just be patient and give these guys 30 games to figure it out. No need to make early evaluations.

lakers4sho
10-31-2012, 03:30 PM
tl;dr

BHF
10-31-2012, 03:30 PM
ohhh its not Mehmet Okur :(

BIG worm
10-31-2012, 03:31 PM
this seems more like a letter to yourself rather than laker fans...reassurance your fav team has a chance im guessing? they will be fine....dwight staying or leaving is not going to make or break the lakers franchise.

Cubbiefan8
10-31-2012, 03:41 PM
It's just one game, but Mike Brown is not the answer at coach. He gets pushed around too easily by these players. They need a no nonsense/my way, coach.

IndyRealist
10-31-2012, 03:41 PM
They went 12-31 from the line. That won't continue to happen. They shot better, outrebounded, had more assists and less fouls than the Mavs.

Byronicle
10-31-2012, 03:42 PM
wasn't kobe injured and missed a lot of practices?

didn't the miami heat started off what 2-8 the 1st season Lebron went to the Heat?

I am not a Lakers fan but this is pretty damn premature, especially after 1 game

When you are so determined to prove someone wrong, you sometimes look stupid

Kobe2324
10-31-2012, 03:44 PM
slight over reaction but also hit some really good points, this offense is terrible for this team and more specifiacly Nash, this will get Mike Brown fired before the new year if he sticks to this offense. With the personel on that team you need to go back to the triangle but in spurts, let nash run the pick and roll and run and gun offense once that stops working you go into the tiangle, it needs to be a mix of the two, the current offence is taking Nash out of the game completely, its relying heavily on pau and Dwight to get things done down low which is not a terrible thing but the only true benefit is that Kobe got a few easy baskets last night which is a nice change, but he barely had the ball in his hands. Brown will have to figure this out quickly before hes looking for another job come xmas time. Now with that said, when the lakers get together and they will, they will steamroll anyone in their path, but they have to be clicking come playoff time.

b@llhog24
10-31-2012, 03:45 PM
It was one game man.

The goods
10-31-2012, 03:46 PM
wasn't kobe injured and missed a lot of practices?

didn't the miami heat started off what 2-8 the 1st season Lebron went to the Heat?

I am not a Lakers fan but this is pretty damn premature, especially after 1 game

When you are so determined to prove someone wrong, you sometimes look stupid

Hahaha theirs really not much else to say after this.

Diesel44
10-31-2012, 03:46 PM
(Let me preface what I'm about to say by noting that (despite popular belief), this is NOT a Lakers' hating thread and I'm not trolling for the sake of pissing off an entire fanbase. What I'm simply doing is pointing out something that many Lakers fans are in total denial over and should accept after last night. Also, this is not necessarily time to panic, but this should be a wake up call.)

Dear Lakers Fans,

I've spent the last few months since the Dwight Howard and Steve Nash acquisitions reading countless posts touting how incredible your team is going to be and how likely they are to win the title. After the Harden trade, I read dozens of posts from Lakers fans and non-Lakers fans alike praising how the Lakers were the real winners of the trade, because the Western Conference would likely be a cakewalk for them. All the time I just kept saying "It's not going to be that easy."

There shouldn't be rioting in the streets or mass suicide outside of the Staples Center, but you should all be a tad concerned right now because the offense was in disarray, Nash looked like a fish out of water and a Mavs team without their best player beat the Lakers in their house in what was supposed to be a revealing of the next great Lakers team.

Be worried because you have four of arguably the 100 greatest players in the history of the league on one team, but three of them are older than 32 and on the decline and the fourth (Howard) hasn't been locked up long term yet.

Be worried because if this Lakers team doesn't ease its way into the playoffs and make a deep run, that Howard could potentially walk and leave LA with the shattered remains of the possibilities, another gigantic "what if" in the history of the NBA.

Be worried because you have a mediocre coach who could never figure out how to be successful with the best player in the NBA now trying to coach arguably the league's most talented roster. And Phil Jackson is not walking through that door.

But all is not lost.

Eventually they're going to develop some level of chemistry together and they'll realize that you cannot confine Steve Nash to that pathetic excuse for an offense they showed last night. For this team to be successful, the ball has to run through Nash and Kobe has to be a playmaker without the ball in his hands 24/7. If that happens, this team could still be very good. They could contend. They could be champions.

But above all else, be worried because even if they do figure it out, there's never any guarantee. Super teams are not a new development. They've been around since the early years of the NBA, and they were not always successful. Wilt joined the Lakers in 68 with Jerry West and Elgin Baylor, but lost to Bill Russell one more time in the 69 Finals. Philly had Moses, Barkley and Erving (three of the 20 best players in league history) for two seasons in the mid-80s and earned no hardware.

And we just got done a season and a half ago learning that it can take a while for three or more superstars to mesh together and figure out how to play together as we watched the Heat get embarrassed on the biggest stage against a more seasoned, more practiced Mavericks team.

A year and a half later, however, and the Heat have risen from their mediocre beginnings to become champions. Watching them last night and the rest of the league should be concerned with the fact that they looked even better than the team that demolished the second best basketball team in the world in the NBA Finals just a few months ago.

The Heat aren't the only obstacles, either. The Thunder are no cakewalk, nor are the Spurs, the Clippers or the new-look Nuggets. All of these teams should concern you, because while they may not be as talented as your Lakers, they will look better in their openers than your team did last night and all it takes is one bad playoff series for your team to be watching the NBA Finals from a television at their homes.

People will say this thread is an overreaction. That I'm just doing this to piss off Lakers fans because they had one bad game and this is the perfect opportunity to do so. Maybe. Or maybe last night merely personified all the questions and concerns I had going into this season about this team so perfectly that I had to write this down while it still has meaning.

I know it's been easy for you in the past, seeming to always get the players and the outcomes that you want and winning countless titles with star players donning the purple and gold. But wake up Lakers fans. It's October, it's gonna be a long season and you haven't won anything yet.

Sincerely,

I'll sum up what he said.

Dear Laker Fan,

Shut the Eff up!!!

Sincerely,
All fans of other teams

PS - If you win we will deal with it, but the back patting and parade planning is a bit premature.

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Be worried? Be worried that Howard might leave? Be worried about the Franchise? Lol.. Worry about the Rockets, the Lakers problem is a problem that any team would love to have year in and year out.

Hawkeye15
Their talent will catch up with the rest of things, but Brown is an idiot, and Nash has declined the last few years, and this may be the year its noticeable to the human eye. Kobe will get healthier, Dwight more in sync, and they should be fine.

But yes, it goes to show you, throwing big names at people, while neglecting their age and mileage, as well as the man coaching them, gets you nowhere. I fear the Lakers in the playoffs regardless however. Give them the season to click.

blastmasta26
Their offense didn't look good, but there were injuries during preseason and such that prevented the Lakers from being able to mesh properly. As said by some, a similar thing happened to Miami in the first year of the big 3 there. They got off to a slow start, only to make it to the Finals. A similar thing could happen to the Lakers.

Rivera
10-31-2012, 03:48 PM
it was one game and they played eddy curry. eddy curry is a beast. i excuse dwight for being abused by the great eddy curry. eddy curry gets the best out of everyone, including himself

Yabaecip
10-31-2012, 03:49 PM
I thought this thread was about Mehmet Okur signing with the Lakers...

greg_ory_2005
10-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Damn you! I wanted this to be about Okur! :mad:

blastmasta26
10-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Lol I thought it was about Okur as well initially.

Hawkeye15
10-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Their offense didn't look good, but there were injuries during preseason and such that prevented the Lakers from being able to mesh properly. As said by some, a similar thing happened to Miami in the first year of the big 3 there. They got off to a slow start, only to make it to the Finals. A similar thing could happen to the Lakers.

The Mavs were missing Dirk and Kaman. On the road..

Quinnsanity
10-31-2012, 03:53 PM
Even as I lost money on my Lakers (-8.5) bet last night, I couldn't help but laugh at how Lakers fans must have been reacting to it.

ThunderousDemon
10-31-2012, 03:58 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcqx2s7tck1rk4cceo1_1280.gif

Rivera
10-31-2012, 03:59 PM

yea but they had eddy curry! eddy curry > dirk and kaman combined

85BearsDefense
10-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Good chance Lakers start 0-3... Don't normally play well in Portland have lost 7 of 9... and then Clippers are good.

Hawkeye15
10-31-2012, 04:03 PM
yea but they had eddy curry! eddy curry > dirk and kaman combined

I was literally laughing at my television when I realized a team playing Eddie Curry heavy minutes was beating up on the Lakers new superteam at home.

But again, give them time to figure it out. Dwight hasn't played in months, he looked like it. Kobe's foot was obviously bugging him, he was dragging it around half the night. And any idiot on the planet should figure out how to incorporate Nash a bit more.

--23--
10-31-2012, 04:11 PM

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: That guy looked confused as hell, he will be the Lakers number one issue.

Cracka2HI!
10-31-2012, 04:11 PM
The only pepole who look really stupid are the ones talking about how the Lakers would win 70+ games. That does cover a lot of idiots however.

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 04:16 PM
The only pepole who look really stupid are the ones talking about how the Lakers would win 70+ games. That does cover a lot of idiots however.

Didn't the Clippers lose 70 games in a season? 1986.

blastmasta26
10-31-2012, 04:17 PM
lol I know, it was a bad loss. But I'm just saying that we should give them a bit of time.

Rivera
10-31-2012, 04:17 PM
I was literally laughing at my television when I realized a team playing Eddie Curry heavy minutes was beating up on the Lakers new superteam at home.

Eddy Curry was amazing! he was beating up on Dwight and the Lakers at their place. Eddy Curry doesnt need HCA! Hes just a hungry beast!

Cracka2HI!
10-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Didn't the Clippers lose 70 games in a season? 1986.

Probably. Is that some kind of joke? You must have predicted 70 + wins. Sorry if I offended you.

dh144498
10-31-2012, 04:28 PM
inb4 Lakers win the next 81 games.

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 04:30 PM
Probably. Is that some kind of joke? You must have predicted 70 + wins. Sorry if I offended you.

Yes. No.

FlashMacker
10-31-2012, 04:32 PM
How did the Lakers lose? Kobe Gasol and Dwight did pretty good and they still lost with no Dirk lol

Cracka2HI!
10-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Yes. No.Oh snap. A 1986 reference after an 0-8 preseason followed by a loss to Eddy Curry. I got served. For the record I think the Lakers will be fine and could even beat my Clipps Friday. However a ton of Lakers fans made themselves look like fools.

LakersSaintsLSU
10-31-2012, 04:39 PM
You know the have the best team in sports when you get bashed for losing ONE game with 81 to go way to OP i guess youll be writing 3 novel when the season ends right? damn i love being a lakers fan cats pay more attention to us then their own teams GO LAKERS!!

asandhu23
10-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Oh snap. A 1986 reference after an 0-8 preseason followed by a loss to Eddy Curry. I got served. For the record I think the Lakers will be fine and could even beat my Clipps Friday. However a ton of Lakers fans made themselves look like fools.

Brandan Wright. Eddy didn't play.

Chacarron
10-31-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm a Bobcats fan so this doesn't concern me...

Iron24th
Haters show up after one game lol

We'll not forget.

mightybosstone
You know the have the best team in sports when you get bashed for losing ONE game with 81 to go way to OP i guess youll be writing 3 novel when the season ends right? damn i love being a lakers fan cats pay more attention to us then their own teams GO LAKERS!!

Apparently Lakers fans also can't pass remedial English courses.

Zefflin
10-31-2012, 04:42 PM
On the road..

That never matters at the Staples Center, crowd is a complete non factor, snubby LA people

Cracka2HI!
10-31-2012, 04:42 PM

Yes he did.

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Oh snap. A 1986 reference after an 0-8 preseason followed by a loss to Eddy Curry. I got served. For the record I think the Lakers will be fine and could even beat my Clipps Friday. However a ton of Lakers fans made themselves look like fools.

And? Hasn't the Clippers franchise been doing that for decades to Clipper fans? The Lakers will never be bad for a long period and they always try and do right by the fans. Clip Show! Win a title.

LakersSaintsLSU
10-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Hawkeye15 is if not the num 1 laker hater i bet he's banned more laker haters in the past six months then the history of psd...guy gets mad and wants to ban you when you tell them how bad their team sucks and that makes you follow us laker fans like twitter accounts

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Apparently Lakers fans also can't pass remedial English courses.

And Rocket fans thought they were getting Howard.

Teeboy1487
10-31-2012, 04:48 PM
:laugh2: I saw it live I was LMAO.

mightybosstone
10-31-2012, 04:48 PM

To be fair, my previous statement was not meant as a generalization for all Lakers fans, but just for that guy who has no concept of punctuation or general grammar. But I'm totally fine with not getting Howard since the Rockets just locked up James Harden for five years. I'll take that over a one-year Dwight rental any day.

LakersSaintsLSU
10-31-2012, 04:49 PM

Why does laker haters ALWAYS jump off topic? just because a guy dosen't spell check his post,dosent mean he's dumb :facepalm: There's this little thing called common sense? yes it will allow you to know what one is saying even if its misspelled maybe you laker haters need some...yourwelcome

LakersSaintsLSU
10-31-2012, 04:51 PM
To be fair, my previous statement was not meant as a generalization for all Lakers fans, but just for that guy who has no concept of punctuation or general grammar. But I'm totally fine with not getting Howard since the Rockets just locked up James Harden for five years. I'll take that over a one-year Dwight rental any day.

uhhh is this a college forum or a sports forum? stay on topic stop moving around the fact that you cant piss us off behind one loss....so you go for the knees now? haha we love it!

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 04:53 PM

Oh ****! You guys locked up a franchise changer! Let's see how he does.

Cracka2HI!
10-31-2012, 04:53 PM
And? Hasn't the Clippers franchise been doing that for decades to Clipper fans? The Lakers will never be bad for a long period and they always try and do right by the fans. Clip Show! Win a title.I really don't care about the past. If the Clippers ever do win a title they will have won more titles than the Lakers that year. I'm not a frontrunner so banners and history don't matter to me.

asandhu23
10-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Yes he did.

He did? didn't watch the game and all i heard was Eddy was out indefinitely.

Gibby23
I really don't care about the past. If the Clippers ever do win a title they will have won more titles than the Lakers that year. I'm not a frontrunner so banners and history don't matter to me.

Why should they, if your team has neither. A bunch of Laker banners hang at Staples.

mightybosstone
Oh ****! You guys locked up a franchise changer! Let's see how he does.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but Harden is the third best SG in the NBA and a top 20 player who is well deserving of a max contract.

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 04:56 PM
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but Harden is the third best SG in the NBA and a top 20 player who is well deserving of a max contract.

Good stuff, let's see what the Rockets can do with him as the leader. Playoffs? Finals? Champions? It must feel great to lock up the 3rd best SG in the NBA.

LakersSaintsLSU
10-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Why should they, if your team has neither. A bunch of Laker banners hang at Staples.

:facepalm: clippers fans, have enuff nerve to diss laker fans for gloating yet you guys were no where to be found before the CP3 trade,join those heat and celtic fans who appeared from a cloud of smoke when those trades went down too...smh loyalty at its best!!! smh bandwagon

mightybosstone
10-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Good stuff, let's see what the Rockets can do with him as the leader. Playoffs? Finals? Champions? It must feel great to lock up the 3rd best SG in the NBA.

It does feel great. And it feels great knowing that the Rockets have one of the best cap situations in the entire NBA and a young core of players younger than 26 with a bright future ahead of them. So, yes, I do think this team is on the road to becoming a championship contender in a few years.

3RDASYSTEM
10-31-2012, 05:00 PM
At least we'll put to rest 2 of the dumbest phrases in all of sports when the season is over and they decide to stick with this weakass princeton offense ...

a backupguard turned league 2x MVP never has and never will make his teammates better(jus imagine all the dumbass psd talk about how NASH did what he did with that PHX roster last yr)...like i said it was the system he was in..run n gun(IVERSON style)

being a pass first/happy type player means that his teammate will get more passes thrown to him than not and will have more opportunity to score/make a play, it doesnt make them a 'better' player because if he cant shoot/finish then whats the use of passing him the ball... for the sake of it? same with RONDO he's a pass first/happy guard and NASH can outshoot him from basically anywhere with basically his eyes closed...

i pull hard for both RONDO/NASH, but i always call a spade a spade

i'll post the 2nd part later on

Sincerely,
bball players who also watch the game but get a different feel from actually playing .

somebody on here should do a post titled 'who actually plays ball' and how often because its obvious that nobody on here physically does, wat a bunch of EINSTEINS....and to think those EINSTEINS say dont listen to SHAQ/BARKLEY/DALY, they have an agenda, like EINSTEINs dont?

P Harvy
10-31-2012, 05:00 PM

LOL this gif sums up Mike Brown as a coach

Chronz
10-31-2012, 05:04 PM
I really wish you would have made this after a 10-10 start with middling efficiency levels or something unheard of for a team this talented but after 1 game? This has the potential to blow up in your face hard. Like you'll never want to show your face around here again hard.

Seriously tho, this is VERY premature. History is laced with great teams that do what the Lakers did last night, odds of you being right here are still very small.

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 05:04 PM
It does feel great. And it feels great knowing that the Rockets have one of the best cap situations in the entire NBA and a young core of players younger than 26 with a bright future ahead of them. So, yes, I do think this team is on the road to becoming a championship contender in a few years.

Who on the rockets besides Harden is in the "best core group under 26 in the NBA"? They are not that good outside of Harden. Asik is ok, Lin is ok, Parsons is ok, White is scared of everything, and a bunch of average big men. The Cap thing is a year to year thing. In 2 year, the Lakers will have a great cap number. Guess what? The Lakers will have an easy time to get big time players to come fill that cap number compared to a team like Houston.

mightybosstone
10-31-2012, 05:05 PM
somebody on here should do a post titled 'who actually plays ball' and how often because its obvious that nobody on here physically does, wat a bunch of EINSTEINS....and to think those EINSTEINS say dont listen to SHAQ/BARKLEY/DALY, they have an agenda, like EINSTEINs dont?

I have no clue whatsoever what you're trying to say here...

Rivera
10-31-2012, 05:07 PM

:facepalm: eddy curry STARTED and was bodying dwight!

justinnum1
10-31-2012, 05:07 PM

lmao!

Amazing how one man can nullify a squad of stars

Chronz
10-31-2012, 05:08 PM
At least we'll put to rest 2 of the dumbest phrases in all of sports when the season is over and they decide to stick with this weakass princeton offense ...

a backupguard turned league 2x MVP never has and never will make his teammates better(jus imagine all the dumbass psd talk about how NASH did what he did with that PHX roster last yr)...like i said it was the system he was in..run n gun(IVERSON style)
You've already contradicted yourself on this before. When people say Nash makes his teammates better they talk about the influence he has on their efficiency. The same argument you use for AI not being efficient because he has no one around him to help him is precisely the influence players have on one another. By saying its a dumb phrase your only admitting that AI wouldn't have changed even if he had more help.

lol agenda is right

Aust
10-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Dear other Laker fans,

Stop being so cocky

Chronz
10-31-2012, 05:10 PM
I have no clue whatsoever what you're trying to say here...

Hes mad that people prefer Nash to Iverson and wants to ridicule Nash when his inevitable decline hits and hes at his lowest point. Hes trying to say players dont make each other better but in another argument say AI would have been more efficient if he had better players around him. Paradoxical isnt it?

Oh and the geniuses he refers to are those who apply stats along with what they see. He wants us to take quotes from players and coaches at face value, above and beyond statistical certainties. So when Shaq says Bynum is better than Dwight or that Brooke Lopez is more of a true center, Im suppose to ignore all the evidence and bow down. LMFAO

Chronz
10-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Who on the rockets besides Harden is in the "best core group under 26 in the NBA"? They are not that good outside of Harden. Asik is ok, Lin is ok, Parsons is ok, White is scared of everything, and a bunch of average big men. The Cap thing is a year to year thing. In 2 year, the Lakers will have a great cap number. Guess what? The Lakers will have an easy time to get big time players to come fill that cap number compared to a team like Houston.
They arent that good yet but they have decent assets and cap space. Too much uncertainty with the Lakers future and which FA will become available to them. Got any specific ideas?

mightybosstone
10-31-2012, 05:12 PM
I really wish you would have made this after a 10-10 start with middling efficiency levels or something unheard of for a team this talented but after 1 game? This has the potential to blow up in your face hard. Like you'll never want to show your face around here again hard.

Seriously tho, this is VERY premature. History is laced with great teams that do what the Lakers did last night, odds of you being right here are still very small.

I don't think you get my point. I'm not trying to rip the Lakers, I'm trying to point out that this season isn't a cakewalk and fans shouldn't treat it as such. I could have done this before they ever played a game of basketball and still said the exact same things.

And I'm man enough to admit when I've made mistakes, so I couldn't care less if the Lakers go on to do great things this season. I will be the first person to admit that I was wrong. As a poster, I don't constantly rip on guys who make predictions that turn out to be wrong, I rip on guys who don't have the balls to make predictions and have opinions in the first place.

Ill21
10-31-2012, 05:13 PM
It's one game

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 05:13 PM
They arent that good yet but they have decent assets and cap space. Too much uncertainty with the Lakers future and which FA will become available to them. Got any specific ideas?

Nope, Just Mitch and the Laker name. Seems to work. You?

mightybosstone
10-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Hes mad that people prefer Nash to Iverson and wants to ridicule Nash when his inevitable decline hits and hes at his lowest point. Hes trying to say players dont make each other better but in another argument say AI would have been more efficient if he had better players around him. Paradoxical isnt it?

No, I got the point he was making about Iverson and Nash for the most part. It was the "Einstein" part at the end that made no sense to me.

sep11ie
10-31-2012, 05:15 PM

Where did he say "best core group under 26"? He said we have one of the best cap situations and good core of young players.

Chronz
10-31-2012, 05:17 PM

Need more games before we start comparing any teams

Chronz
10-31-2012, 05:17 PM
No, I got the point he was making about Iverson and Nash for the most part. It was the "Einstein" part at the end that made no sense to me.

Edited for your satisfaction

mightybosstone
10-31-2012, 05:18 PM

Why are you quoting "best core group under 26 in the NBA" when I never said anything remotely close to that? I think Harden is a great player who could someday reach elite status, I think Asik has the potential to be one of the best defensive centers in the NBA and I think Parsons could potentially be Luol Deng but with better passing skills. Lin is the biggest wild card in the group, but I do think he'll at least be an average NBA PG.

And with all the cap and young talent the Rockets have, they could easily attract another star to Houston next summer or at the trade deadline.

Jesse2272
10-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Mike Brown is the wrong coach for this team as simple as that IMO

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Where did he say "best core group under 26"? He said we have one of the best cap situations and good core of young players.

WHo is good outside of Harden? Lin isn't an upgrade at the PG spot, White was a bad draft pick. Did he get his party bus yet? Parsons is average. The bigs are ok. What is so good about it? Sure they looked good last year, but Dragic was the best of that bunch.

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Why are you quoting "best core group under 26 in the NBA" when I never said anything remotely close to that? I think Harden is a great player who could someday reach elite status, I think Asik has the potential to be one of the best defensive centers in the NBA and I think Parsons could potentially be Luol Deng but with better passing skills. Lin is the biggest wild card in the group, but I do think he'll at least be an average NBA PG.

And with all the cap and young talent the Rockets have, they could easily attract another star to Houston next summer or at the trade deadline.

ok, I guess we will see what happens.

Chronz
10-31-2012, 05:22 PM
Nope, Just Mitch and the Laker name. Seems to work. You?
What are you asking me? My team has no cap space.

And what you speak of only works if things align properly, Im asking you if you have any idea who the Lakers could target in FA.

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 05:37 PM
What are you asking me? My team has no cap space.

And what you speak of only works if things align properly, Im asking you if you have any idea who the Lakers could target in FA.

I don't know, I don't run the team, but Mitch did make it a point to have capspace in 2 years, but they might wait another year until Nash expires. Mitch has a plan, I don't need one. I wouldn't mind a rebuild and going young, but the Lakers haven't done that since I been a fan, they were forced to for a few years when Magic had to retire but scrapped that idea and got Shaq and made a trade for Kobe. I don't know who they will have or who will be out there.There will be players like Melo and James. I think James is in Miami for life and I wouldn't want Melo. They Lakers might have to wait a year or 2 to spend the money on the right players.

lakersfan01
10-31-2012, 05:37 PM

Dear Lakers Fans,

But all is not lost.

Sincerely,

We all know Mike Brown is a moron, what is the point of this thread?

Mr_Jones
10-31-2012, 05:43 PM
I was super disappointed with how they played last night, and almost want that to continue for a few games in order to get Mike Brown out. He's not a good coach.. Simple as that. This team has the talent to be the best team in the league, but as long as Brown is there, they won't be. That simple, really.

HowFit
10-31-2012, 05:47 PM

:speechless: :speechless: :speechless: :speechless:

Hawkeye15
10-31-2012, 05:59 PM
lol I know, it was a bad loss. But I'm just saying that we should give them a bit of time.

oh for sure dude. Dwight had no training camp, Nash is new to the offense, Kobe is limping, and their backups are not good. They will start to mesh a little later in the season. But its exactly why many experts said the Lakers are not getting the #1, and maybe even the #2 seed out west. Too much to come together, when there are some teams ready to roll right now like San Antonio, OKC, and even Denver.

Hardaway Here
10-31-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm just ready to laugh at all the cocky Laker fans IF the Lakers have an 0-8 start to match their preseason record. If not I can still laugh at 1-9 start

RLundi
10-31-2012, 06:16 PM
I don't disagree with any of the points made but it seems to be an overreaction and exaggeration at this point in the season.

shep33
10-31-2012, 06:22 PM
-Howard isn't 100% yet. His explosiveness and timing is going to come back eventually
-Nash is trying to hard to implement the offense instead of just playing... he mentioned this yesterday
-Kobe looked great yesterday offensively. Defensively he's gambling way too much
-Pau was okay, his stats were a bit inflated towards the end, had some really great stretches, had some really bad ones
-Jordan Hill looked solid, bench wasn't that bad.
-Howard and Nash actually played very poorly in my opinion.
-12-31 from the free throw line... that's ridiculous. Howard has a new motion at the line, so that's going to take some time (3-14).
-Bottom line... these guy have played half a preseason game, and 1 regular season game together. They haven't even practiced together that much due to Kobe and Dwight's injuries

mightybosstone
10-31-2012, 06:25 PM
I don't disagree with any of the points made but it seems to be an overreaction and exaggeration at this point in the season.

I don't understand why everyone seems to think this is an exaggeration. At no point do I say that I think the Lakers are a terrible basketball team or that they aren't capable of winning the title. All I'm saying is that they clearly aren't without flaws, that it's going to take quite a bit of work to get there and that the odds aren't in their favor to win the championship this season.

I also think Lakers fans should be worried. Because given the age of their players, I think they have an incredibly small window this core group of players. Assuming Dwight re-signs to a new contract, they'll have probably two full seasons to make this thing work before Kobe, Nash and Gasol fall off so much that they're no longer contenders.

LA_Raiders
10-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the letter man. Its only one game, we will be alright...

Chronz
10-31-2012, 06:37 PM
I don't know, I don't run the team, but Mitch did make it a point to have capspace in 2 years, but they might wait another year until Nash expires. Mitch has a plan, I don't need one. I wouldn't mind a rebuild and going young, but the Lakers haven't done that since I been a fan, they were forced to for a few years when Magic had to retire but scrapped that idea and got Shaq and made a trade for Kobe. I don't know who they will have or who will be out there.There will be players like Melo and James. I think James is in Miami for life and I wouldn't want Melo. They Lakers might have to wait a year or 2 to spend the money on the right players.
They didnt scrap the idea, the circumstances came about that Shaq was a free agent that year and West swayed him. Its not like the Lakers woke up one day and said, lets add the best bigman in the game. They had to wait for the perfect storm. I understand you dont want to think like a GM but they arent all powerful. With respect to free agency there are only a limited set of players you can add, that you dont care to know who they are is certainly your choice but it discredits you as a poster IMO.

Jenceman
10-31-2012, 06:44 PM
The Lakers lost because they shot like 25% from the line.

RLundi
10-31-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't understand why everyone seems to think this is an exaggeration. At no point do I say that I think the Lakers are a terrible basketball team or that they aren't capable of winning the title. All I'm saying is that they clearly aren't without flaws, that it's going to take quite a bit of work to get there and that the odds aren't in their favor to win the championship this season.

I also think Lakers fans should be worried. Because given the age of their players, I think they have an incredibly small window this core group of players. Assuming Dwight re-signs to a new contract, they'll have probably two full seasons to make this thing work before Kobe, Nash and Gasol fall off so much that they're no longer contenders.

It seems like an exaggeration becomes it appears as if you're basing this on a single game, even if you aren't. If you felt this way, a more suitable and less-reactive time to post this thread would have been at the very beginning of the season before any games were played, not after a bad loss. This reeks of the 'hindsight being 20-20' adage.

Like I said, I agree with your points, but the timing chose to relay those points look as if you're reacting singularly to last night's game. Reading through this thread, I don't think anyone disputes what you've said; it's when you said that has different people viewing it as way too reactionary.

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 06:49 PM
They didnt scrap the idea, the circumstances came about that Shaq was a free agent that year and West swayed him. Its not like the Lakers woke up one day and said, lets add the best bigman in the game. They had to wait for the perfect storm. I understand you dont want to think like a GM but they arent all powerful. With respect to free agency there are only a limited set of players you can add, that you dont care to know who they are is certainly your choice but it discredits you as a poster IMO.

I know who the players are and the only one I would want is James, but I don't think he leaves. If they keep Howard, they might work a trade for a player a year away from leaving, they can go after a guy like Rondo in 2015, but if this thing isn't working by the trade deadline, they can ship Gasol for a draft pick and some youth. A lot can happen in 3 years with the trade market.

mightybosstone
10-31-2012, 06:49 PM
It seems like an exaggeration becomes it appears as if you're basing this on a single game, even if you aren't. If you felt this way, a more suitable and less-reactive time to post this thread would have been at the very beginning of the season before any games were played, not after a bad loss. This reeks of the 'hindsight being 20-20' adage.

Like I said, I agree with your points, but the timing chose to relay those points look as if you're reacting singularly to last night's game. Reading through this thread, I don't think anyone disputes what you've said; it's when you said that has different people viewing it as way too reactionary.

Because if I had said this at the beginning of the season (and I did, in multiple threads and to multiple people), Lakers fans wouldn't pay attention and would claim that I have no basis for my argument. After a loss seems like a perfect time to relay my points. Could I have waited until after 15-20 games? Probably, but I rarely have a day off where I can just sit and write out what I'm thinking like this. Sometimes you just want to write about sports and today was one of those days.

RLundi
10-31-2012, 06:53 PM
I know who the players are and the only one I would want is James, but I don't think he leaves. If they keep Howard, they might work a trade for a player a year away from leaving, they can go after a guy like Rondo in 2015, but if this thing isn't working by the trade deadline, they can ship Gasol for a draft pick and some youth. A lot can happen in 3 years with the trade market.

With $40 left on the deal between the next 2 seasons and being 33 this year, I doubt anyone trades anything substantial (especially not a high draft pick) for Gasol.

RLundi
10-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Because if I had said this at the beginning of the season (and I did, in multiple threads and to multiple people), Lakers fans wouldn't pay attention and would claim that I have no basis for my argument. After a loss seems like a perfect time to relay my points. Could I have waited until after 15-20 games? Probably, but I rarely have a day off where I can just sit and write out what I'm thinking like this. Sometimes you just want to write about sports and today was one of those days.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Either way, you weren't gonna convince Lakers fans of anything because, you know, they're Lakers fans. This just seems like something an opportunist would do. What if they rattle off 15 straight wins? Conversely, would you have created this thread had the Lakers won their first game? Maybe they lose the next 15 after that. A further reiteration, I'm not bashing the thread, its points, or even the timing. It just seems more credible and bold to make a proclamation before the season- despite if attention is paid or not.

But anyway, I guess we'll find out.

lakeshow2012
10-31-2012, 07:20 PM
They went 12-31 from the line. That won't continue to happen. They shot better, outrebounded, had more assists and less fouls than the Mavs.

^^^This

And just like most others are saying, it's one game. Come on man. I think the first quarter of the season will be a little bit rocky for the Lakers but chemistry takes time to develop. Look at the Heat their first year with the big 3. Took them quite a few games to really get on the same page.

waveycrockett
10-31-2012, 07:22 PM
I think they are going to have a lot of problems with this team. So many egos to manage and Mike Brown is the supposed to be the one doing it? They are going to be this years version of the LA Angels lol

Blitzbolt
10-31-2012, 08:00 PM
The ONE issue i saw was Defense Especially Steven Nash Wesbrick and parker are destroy him.

That to me is the one and only issue for the LAL.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-31-2012, 08:22 PM

being a pass first/happy type player means that his teammate will get more passes thrown to him than not and will have more opportunity to score/make a play, it doesnt make them a 'better' player because if he cant shoot/finish then whats the use of passing him the ball... for the sake of it? same with RONDO he's a pass first/happy guard and NASH can outshoot him from basically anywhere with basically his eyes closed...

i pull hard for both RONDO/NASH, but i always call a spade a spade

i'll post the 2nd part later on

Sincerely,
bball players who also watch the game but get a different feel from actually playing .

what

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-31-2012, 08:22 PM
I think they are going to have a lot of problems with this team. So many egos to manage and Mike Brown is the supposed to be the one doing it? They are going to be this years version of the LA Angels lol

Dwight didn't go to BKN. oh noez! :ohno:

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-31-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm just ready to laugh at all the cocky Laker fans IF the Lakers have an 0-8 start to match their preseason record. If not I can still laugh at 1-9 start

oh my...

waveycrockett
10-31-2012, 08:28 PM

We are still in July?

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-31-2012, 08:34 PM
We are still in July?

You and jmoney85 were so damn sure Dwight was going to be a Net. :laugh2:

#fail

waveycrockett
10-31-2012, 08:40 PM
You and jmoney85 were so damn sure Dwight was going to be a Net. :laugh2:

#fail

And You were so sure the Lakers would go 82-0 :speechless: #fail

justinnum1
10-31-2012, 08:42 PM

:laugh:

ThunderousDemon
10-31-2012, 08:56 PM

Small minds are easily amused ^

Cracka2HI!
10-31-2012, 09:04 PM
He did? didn't watch the game and all i heard was Eddy was out indefinitely.Yea he played pretty well.

Why should they, if your team has neither. A bunch of Laker banners hang at Staples.I think you helped prove my point since it looks like you are using the past as some kind of slight to me or my team.

:facepalm: clippers fans, have enuff nerve to diss laker fans for gloating yet you guys were no where to be found before the CP3 trade,join those heat and celtic fans who appeared from a cloud of smoke when those trades went down too...smh loyalty at its best!!! smh bandwagonBeen here 6+ years. Probably 10,000 posts in the Clipper forum. I'm the only Clipper fan posting in this thread#fail

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-31-2012, 09:11 PM

llullz when did I say that kid?

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-31-2012, 09:13 PM

Don't play with fire now little Justin.

Sssmush
10-31-2012, 09:51 PM

Dear Lakers Fans,

But all is not lost.

Sincerely,

cool... story... bro...

but seriously, the Princeton offense does suck, and I don't think that Mike Brown has the authority to impose a "system" on either Kobe or Nash, much less both. Nor should he.

I mean it's not like he's Phil Jackson and he's been running the Triangle for 20 years and has a Tex Winter. No, Mike Brown just discovered this offense as well, and if anything, Kobe and Nash should be player coaching this team. MB has no titles or threepeats to stand on.

But this is just the beginning of the season, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the Lakers work this all out

gauth25
10-31-2012, 10:01 PM
Haha what a stupid thread. Obviously there will be people who run their mouths. The Lakers will be very good as the season progresses. I knew they would lose last night even if Dirk wasn't playing. They have had much time together. Dwight only played in 2 preseason games and is still quite rusty and Kobe has missed alot of time due to his injury. The Heat started the same way when they made their big signings. I'm not worried regardless of how old they are. Great players will eventually do what is needed to win and trust me, this team will.

Marlin234
10-31-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm glad the lakers lost. Not because I dislike em. But for the mere fact how everyone bashed the Heat when the big 3 formed and lost the first year in the finals. Which I believe we made based on just pure Athelectism and skill because they did not play like a team. Chemistry doesn't happen in 8 preseason games. It takes time. They will have their ups and downs. But I'm sure come playoff time they will be dangerous.

AIRMAR72
10-31-2012, 10:42 PM
I dont think its going to work with howard the is not serious about basketball furthermore living in LA will be a distraction with his type of personality

Gram
11-01-2012, 12:24 AM
I thought this meant Mehmet Okur to the Lakers lol.

DoMeFavors
11-01-2012, 12:26 AM

Well he really didnt go to the Lakers either, he was traded there.

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 01:09 AM
I'm not gonna kick a team while they're down, but watching this game tonight validates some of the things I said this afternoon. This is sloppy basketball, and you cannot win games if you're turning the ball over 23 times and giving up so many fast break points. I still think this team has all the talent in the world to turn this around and 0-2 is certainly not a deep hole to climb out of. But they can't wait weeks to figure it out in a conference this deep or they'll end up with a 4 or a 5 seed in the playoffs and have to play someone like OKC or San Antonio on the road in the second round.

jam
11-01-2012, 01:12 AM
This is an old, injured team. I can't help but suspect they'll be worn down at the end of the season.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-01-2012, 01:45 AM
oh noez!

Raph12
11-01-2012, 02:10 AM
It's funny how you guys believe the sky is falling, when there are so many positives to take from this game... Dwight was moving well, looked active and shot his FTs extremely well and looked to be shooting differently (higher release; which is a huge plus); the Lakers pounded their opponents on the glass on both ends (45-to-30 total; 15-to-10 offensive and 30-to-20 defensive); they turned the ball over nearly 20 times and stayed in the game at 76-79 (until the Blazers made a 13-0 run to close the third); and they showed signs of good offense and defense.

All in all, considering this is only game two, the sky is not falling.

whitemamba33
11-01-2012, 02:31 AM
I had to listen to you try and tell me why I should be worried. I even listened to you pretend that you aren't here to bash Laker's fans, which we both know is a bold faced lie. Now sit here and listen to the reasons why I'm not only not worried, but i'm encouraged.

First of all, anybody who thought this team would dominate from the start doesn't know a thing about basketball. That includes Laker's fans. You can't have this many player changes and be playing an offense this different than the one they've been playing in for years and instantly create the chemstry needed to be a top level team. Look no further than Miami's start 2 years ago as a prime example.

The Laker's haven't won the championship yet, but they also haven't lost it. Your entire reason for this thread was to critisize Laker fans for celebrating prematurely, but in doing so you are little premature yourself. 80 games left in the season. That's all I need to say.

Don't look at the results, watch the games. Kobe is getting some of the easiest buckets of his career. With Dwight demanding defensive attention, Kobe has been getting easy lay ups and wide open three pointers.

They are test running an offense, but that doesn't mean they are married to it. Most likely they are going to settle in on a hybrid that will combine the ball movement from the current offense with occasional Nash-inspired fast breaks. When they figure that out, they are going to play better basketball.

Dwight is playing fantastic. He wasn't hitting his free throws against Dallas, so they played him differently. But against Portland he was. If they can establish him down low on a consistant basis, he' going to earn fouls or demand double teams. With Nash and Kobe waiting for the kick, you can trust me - I'm not worried.

Leadership. There was zero time for practice between Dallas and Portland. With minds like Kobe and Nash on this team, do you really think that this offense has reached anywhere near it's potential? I certainly don't. Give these guys some time in front of some game film and these wrinkles will get ironed out real quick.

I'm not worried...at all. This isn't a small market team that is treating every game like a game 7 so they can keep their team from being sold and relocated. They've said early on that it's going to take a few months for the offense to get going. I never had a reason to doubt them, or believe otherwise.

Regardless, keep hating. If everyone in the world believed that the Laker's already had it in the bag, it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

ink
11-01-2012, 03:25 AM
I had to listen to you try and tell me why I should be worried. I even listened to you pretend that you aren't here to bash Laker's fans, which we both know is a bold faced lie. Now sit here and listen to the reasons why I'm not only not worried, but i'm encouraged.

First of all, anybody who thought this team would dominate from the start doesn't know a thing about basketball. That includes Laker's fans. You can't have this many player changes and be playing an offense this different than the one they've been playing in for years and instantly create the chemstry needed to be a top level team. Look no further than Miami's start 2 years ago as a prime example.

The Laker's haven't won the championship yet, but they also haven't lost it. Your entire reason for this thread was to critisize Laker fans for celebrating prematurely, but in doing so you are little premature yourself. 80 games left in the season. That's all I need to say.

Don't look at the results, watch the games. Kobe is getting some of the easiest buckets of his career. With Dwight demanding defensive attention, Kobe has been getting easy lay ups and wide open three pointers.

They are test running an offense, but that doesn't mean they are married to it. Most likely they are going to settle in on a hybrid that will combine the ball movement from the current offense with occasional Nash-inspired fast breaks. When they figure that out, they are going to play better basketball.

Dwight is playing fantastic. He wasn't hitting his free throws against Dallas, so they played him differently. But against Portland he was. If they can establish him down low on a consistant basis, he' going to earn fouls or demand double teams. With Nash and Kobe waiting for the kick, you can trust me - I'm not worried.

Leadership. There was zero time for practice between Dallas and Portland. With minds like Kobe and Nash on this team, do you really think that this offense has reached anywhere near it's potential? I certainly don't. Give these guys some time in front of some game film and these wrinkles will get ironed out real quick.

I'm not worried...at all. This isn't a small market team that is treating every game like a game 7 so they can keep their team from being sold and relocated. They've said early on that it's going to take a few months for the offense to get going. I never had a reason to doubt them, or believe otherwise.

Regardless, keep hating. If everyone in the world believed that the Laker's already had it in the bag, it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

Good post. Seems to me the Lakers have a few more games left this season. We haven't really seen the team yet.

Sssmush
11-01-2012, 04:57 AM

^^ great post

One of the factors I think is that everyone was a bit worried about how Nash would be utilized and integrated.

Then in the preseason we started hearing about this Princeton offense, and not that many people are huge Eddie Jordan fans. But, I think everyone was like "ok, it doesn't make sense to put Nash in the Princeton offense, but let's see what is up."

Now that they are out of the gate 0-2 and have only played the two worst teams in the West so far, I don't really think it's too early to start freaking out a bit. That being said, of course you are right that Kobe looks great, Pau looks great, Dwight is soooooo much better than Bynum (you didn't actually say that) and so that is all good. And 20 games, 30 games into the season, everything starts to change big time.

But still... this is a fine time for an October freak out

TheIlladelph16
11-01-2012, 11:19 AM

Dear Lakers Fans,

But all is not lost.

Sincerely,

Great letter. You make some valid points about the Laker's team, but mostly about the Lakers fan base. Some fans were acting like this was going to be a cakewalk out in the West and they were just going to steam roll everyone. Now I'm all for confidence in your team, but when you take it to a DMF level it becomes arrogance.

That being said... It's only been two games and its obviously going to take time for them to gel. They are still a very scary team at this point.

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 11:21 AM

I never once said that I thought the Lakers couldn't turn this around. Read through every one of my posts. I'm just saying that there SHOULD be cause for concern, giving the lack of chemistry they've shown through 10 games, the age of three of their stars and the depth and strength of the Western Conference. Unlike a team like the Heat, this team wasn't built for a long, sustained run. It was built for only a 1-2 year window and that's all they've got before they inevitably add the next batch of superstars who are unhappy and want to play in LA.

I think a lot of Lakers fans took this post personal. It was just one opinion from one NBA fan who thought a lot of people were giving that team way too much credit for having not accomplished anything. Call me a hater. Call me whatever you like. But my goal was not to piss off the Lakers fanbase, but just to show the reality of the situation which not many people seem to be talking about.

JiffyMix88
11-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Actually thought this was a memo from somebody who is known to the lakers....

JasonJohnHorn
11-01-2012, 11:36 AM
tl; dr

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 11:38 AM
tl; dr

This is just a useless post. If you don't want to read it, don't read it. But don't go around telling people "tl dr" just because you're too lazy to show them respect and take their opinion seriously.

SINCESTARBURY25
11-01-2012, 11:43 AM
One game.

No 10 games pre-season matters in my book. Who wants to start off losing??

Raph12
11-01-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm just saying that there SHOULD be cause for concern, giving the lack of chemistry they've shown through 10 games, the age of three of their stars and the depth and strength of the Western Conference.

Lack of chemistry? They scored 106 points despite turning the ball over 24 times, as they get more familiar with the new offense, those turnovers go down, the offensive efficiency goes further up and the defense can setup more often... The chemistry is great, both Dwight and Pau are passing the ball very well, Nash and Kobe are willing to feed the post and play off of their bigs and the leadership styles mesh very well. The starters haven't even played 4 games together, or even 3 games if you exclude preseason, this isn't that big a deal.

The age is only a factor when it comes to injuries, and that is always a factor with regards to every team (hell the Heat had Wade and Bosh injured most of last season). The age is what is going to help this team most, because there is a sense of urgency and the guys running the show know how to get it done.

Unlike a team like the Heat, this team wasn't built for a long, sustained run. It was built for only a 1-2 year window and that's all they've got before they inevitably add the next batch of superstars who are unhappy and want to play in LA.

True but 1-2 years is all they'll need, this team has shown flashes of greatness. They're learning a new offense and defense, Dwight's playing only his second real game back from his surgery, Kobe sustained a freak foot-injury in the preseason that he's nursing, Nash is adjusting to life without the ball in his hands and the bench doesn't even know the schemes yet on either side of the ball... All considered, they had a great oppurtunity to win both games they lost.

Dwight looked great and will only get better; Kobe's foot should heal and he's getting better looks than ever; Nash will adjust to the new offense and the team as a whole will learn the offense and defensive rotations that will most likely make them a top 3 team in the West.

As for the new batch; with Dwight Howard entering his prime in the next two years, if they could lock him up, stars will love to come to LA to play with the best big in basketball. They have only Nash on the roster for 2014 and no one on for 2015 (two seasons with a lot of great stars becoming FAs)... I doubt their worried about their future.

I think a lot of Lakers fans took this post personal. It was just one opinion from one NBA fan who thought a lot of people were giving that team way too much credit for having not accomplished anything. Call me a hater. Call me whatever you like. But my goal was not to piss off the Lakers fanbase, but just to show the reality of the situation which not many people seem to be talking about.

I'm not a Lakers fan (although I'm a fan of Dwight, Kobe, Nash and Pau as individual players) and I didn't take any of this to heart, but I'm just saying; you may be overreacting to a bad start. They could easily win 20 of their next 28 and have a 20-10 record which would put them on pace to win about 55 games... Remember that you got a lot of great leaders on this team, with one no bs guy in Kobe who's going to demand better from his squad, it's just premature is all.

thenaj17
11-01-2012, 12:10 PM
:speechless: :speechless: :speechless: :speechless:

He was probably frustrated that the team went away from the offense. Maybe he was annoyed Metta chucking 1-8, or all the ridiculous turnovers and missed FT's.

This doesn't make him incompetent because he looks confused, he just doesn't have positive confidence-exuding body language.

Chronz
11-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Look no further than Miami's start 2 years ago as a prime example.

Your post was spot on but can people stop saying this, you need more games to start comparing teams. Miami's start was hilariously underrated, even when they had a .500 record after like 20 games, their efficiency scores were still elite. If the Lakers stumble to 10-10 with those efficiency scores then I will understand the comparison, if they get to 10-10 with the efficiency of a .500 team, then its a poor comparison. Even if its not Miami, Im sure there are several other comparisons you could make, like maybe that Suns team that was under .500 for a long time before doing a complete 180 but we need more games before anyone starts making any sort of comparison. Miami was underrated during its start.

I agree but if your comparing LA to MIA then I would say the same to you. Miami was playing at an elite level from the get go even if their record didn't show it. LA however is showing more signs for concern.

If they figure it out, its kind of hard to run a hybrid of an offense that requires constant motion. I remember when Adelman went to Houston to install the same offense but admitting it would be a hybrid version until year 2 (which he said is how long it takes to pick up the system). Tmac looked good at first, getting easy shots and what not, but eventually the mismatch of running a low post offense for Yao, PnR offense for Tmac AND Princeton sets hurt their consistency.

You said earlier that they are testing the offense but you end your post by saying they knew it would take months. Sounds kind of contradictory to me, the system takes alil while to pick up so your going to take some lumps, but if your only testing it does that mean you will drop it if it doesnt succeed even though the players are saying it wont succeed right away. So how do you test it without giving it a year?

The Lakers will either revert to running basic sets and slowly integrate the system while taking less lumps in the interim or they commit and take the lumps that come with it with the hopes that come playoff time they built a steady gameplan to win with.

All that said the Lakers offense isn't why they are losing, its that last place defense that needs more work or time to gel.

thenaj17
11-01-2012, 12:18 PM
^^ great post

One of the factors I think is that everyone was a bit worried about how Nash would be utilized and integrated.

Then in the preseason we started hearing about this Princeton offense, and not that many people are huge Eddie Jordan fans. But, I think everyone was like "ok, it doesn't make sense to put Nash in the Princeton offense, but let's see what is up."

Now that they are out of the gate 0-2 and have only played the two worst teams in the West so far, I don't really think it's too early to start freaking out a bit. That being said, of course you are right that Kobe looks great, Pau looks great, Dwight is soooooo much better than Bynum (you didn't actually say that) and so that is all good. And 20 games, 30 games into the season, everything starts to change big time.

But still... this is a fine time for an October freak out

I believe both these teams will be challenging for the playoffs at the end of the year.

But yeh, there are quite a few positives for sure. I'm more worried about defense to be honest.

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 12:24 PM
As others have already mentioned, the thing that should be most concerning is the defense. Watching that game last night, I thought Dwight did a pretty solid job on Aldridge, but everyone else was pretty atrocious. The perimeter defense left a ton of wide open shooters on the outside and struggled all night to keep up with Matthews, Lillard and Batum driving to the basket. Artest was just embarrassed by Batum.

With competitive guys like Kobe, Artest and Dwight, there's no reason the defense should be that bad. It's one thing for the offense to not be crisp without a lot of time playing together, but no excuse for a defense with that much talent to look that horrible.

Chronz
11-01-2012, 12:28 PM
I thought this meant Mehmet Okur to the Lakers lol.

LOL yea me too

KNICKS R BACK
11-01-2012, 12:28 PM
but did you really have to write an essay about it though?

dh144498
11-01-2012, 12:29 PM
80-2 lol.

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 12:35 PM

It was more of a blog or a column. I'm a sports editor and reporter for some local papers and I occasionally write columns, so I'm used to writing in this type of format. I also used to run a Rockets blog with some guys in college, so I enjoy writing stuff like this about the NBA.

The_Jamal
11-01-2012, 12:44 PM

I agree.

MBT, no more of this "Well articulated article that hits on several great points" crap. This is PSD where we encourage " LOL LAKERS HAVENT WON A GAME. TRADE KOBE!!!!!!!!" sorts of analysis

Baller1
11-01-2012, 12:49 PM
I agree.

MBT, no more of this "Well articulated article that hits on several great points" crap. This is PSD where we encourage " LOL LAKERS HAVENT WON A GAME. TRADE KOBE!!!!!!!!" sorts of analysis

Haha, I almost thought you were serious at first.

Well said MBT.

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 01:08 PM
I agree.

Haha, I almost thought you were serious at first.

Well said MBT.

Thanks guys.

And one more point I'd like to make. Everyone keeps responding to this thread with "You're overreacting. They're going to be fine." But when you're the Lakers, "fine" isn't good enough. This franchise doesn't have the luxury of being "fine". There are a lot of teams out there that would consider a run to the conference finals a successful season. But the Lakers aren't one of them.

If the Lakers don't win the title with this core group, then this experiment will be deemed a failure for the most part. Keeping Dwight should really be the top priority in the long term, but you don't also add Steve Nash and keep Kobe and Pau if your goal is just to build around Dwight Howard. They're trying to win a title, and they have an incredibly short window to do it in.

But another huge concern is whether or not Dwight will want to stay if this team doesn't win a ring or if they can't develop chemistry together. The whole thing with Orlando proved how fickle he can be, and it's possible he could change his mind another thousand times before he signs his next big contract.

sixer04fan
11-01-2012, 01:11 PM
I first I thought the thread title said "Melo to the Lakers" I was like god damn are you kidding me?

naps
11-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Feels great to see Lakers lose specially when you think of those cocky immature posters here. But they will eventually figure it out as soon as they realize how to utilize Nash properly.

whitemamba33
11-01-2012, 03:38 PM
I never once said that I thought the Lakers couldn't turn this around. Read through every one of my posts. I'm just saying that there SHOULD be cause for concern, giving the lack of chemistry they've shown through 10 games, the age of three of their stars and the depth and strength of the Western Conference. Unlike a team like the Heat, this team wasn't built for a long, sustained run. It was built for only a 1-2 year window and that's all they've got before they inevitably add the next batch of superstars who are unhappy and want to play in LA.

I understand you are saying that there SHOULD be cause for concern - so I wrote a reply explaining exactly why I'm not and don't feel I should be. Preseason games mean nothing, especially considering many of the starters either didn't play in those games or sat out entire halves. You mentioned the age of these players, do you really think preseason was anywhere near being a priority? So you'll have to excuse me if your "OMG THEY ARE 0-10" point doesn't really stick with me. They outplayed Dallas in almost every meaningful category, but were terrible from the line. As they showed last night, they can be MUCH better from the free throw line. Yes there were a lot of holes exposed in the offense and defense, but considering they had ZERO time to practice in between Dallas and Portland I don't know why anybody would have expected a big improvement in game 2.

I agree that the window for this EXACT team is only a couple years. But with some tinkering I think it can be stretched out considerably. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the next couple years, thank you very much.

In general, if you don't want a post to come off as a personal attack you should try not telling people why they should be worried just for your own personal satisfaction. When has anyone ever said "I told you so" and you didn't feel like punching that person in the face? If you are sitting on an airplane next to stranger, do you make it a point to tell them about all the things that could potentially go wrong? If you genuinely care, try writing from the perspective of somebody who has noticed things the Lakers need to improve on and discussing how they could fix it. There isn't one person in the world that benefited at all from reading your post. Now i fully understand that this is a free country and you can do as you please, but if you really are confused as to why people are reacting negatively towards your post, you now have your answer.

Sssmush
11-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks guys.

And one more point I'd like to make. Everyone keeps responding to this thread with "You're overreacting. They're going to be fine." But when you're the Lakers, "fine" isn't good enough. This franchise doesn't have the luxury of being "fine". There are a lot of teams out there that would consider a run to the conference finals a successful season. But the Lakers aren't one of them.

If the Lakers don't win the title with this core group, then this experiment will be deemed a failure for the most part. Keeping Dwight should really be the top priority in the long term, but you don't also add Steve Nash and keep Kobe and Pau if your goal is just to build around Dwight Howard. They're trying to win a title, and they have an incredibly short window to do it in.

But another huge concern is whether or not Dwight will want to stay if this team doesn't win a ring or if they can't develop chemistry together. The whole thing with Orlando proved how fickle he can be, and it's possible he could change his mind another thousand times before he signs his next big contract.

Ok, I enjoy trashing the coach and the weird Princeton offense during a 10 game losing streak as much as the next guy, but I gotta draw the line at trying to drum up controversy that Dwight will somehow leave now.

Dwight is totally good with the Lakers, and, you know what? If Dwight wants to leave, the door is always open. This isn't freakin' Orlando, and it's not even freakin' Dallas either. This is the Los Angeles Lakers.

I really think the tone of that last paragraph kind of reveals a certain element of trollish-ness. And hey, don't get me wrong, I don't think that is any cause for alarm or hysterical banishment. Trolls welcome, is my motto.

But just as a matter of objective fact, if now, two games into the season, you are also wanting to say that "hey, Dwight is fickle, remember the Orlando situation? Dwight might want out." Then that is clearly bull****. Obviously it is fine to point out that the Laker offense and the Laker defense is underperforming right now, but when you throw something like that in, pretty clearly you are kind of looking to yank some chains.

I mean, overall, compared to San Antonio, we are in great shape. San Antonio will have a fine season playing small ball, but when it comes to the playoffs, LA still has a Ferrari and San Antonio still has a Corvette.

LakersSaintsLSU
11-01-2012, 09:31 PM
:facepalm: eddy curry STARTED and was bodying dwight!

Maybe you dont remember what happened to the last guy who sigged us for 1 game:facepalm:....we will be looking for you next time around TRUST me...typical mav fans gloating over 1 win

Demon11
11-01-2012, 09:45 PM
You guys are honestly suprised at LA fans over stuff like this? Remember when the Dodgers made all those trades and they were suddenly a world series lock?

And then Giants put them back into place and whooped their *****. I predict the same thing will happen to the Lakers

mightybosstone
11-01-2012, 09:56 PM
In general, if you don't want a post to come off as a personal attack you should try not telling people why they should be worried just for your own personal satisfaction. When has anyone ever said "I told you so" and you didn't feel like punching that person in the face? If you are sitting on an airplane next to stranger, do you make it a point to tell them about all the things that could potentially go wrong? If you genuinely care, try writing from the perspective of somebody who has noticed things the Lakers need to improve on and discussing how they could fix it. There isn't one person in the world that benefited at all from reading your post. Now i fully understand that this is a free country and you can do as you please, but if you really are confused as to why people are reacting negatively towards your post, you now have your answer.
How many sports columns or blogs have you ever read that weren't necessarily positive about a certain team, player or coach? I just took the same approach I would take if I was writing a column about the Lakers. I don't think I said anything that a competent, unbiased fan couldn't determine for themselves. But I don't think these are things that the average PSD Lakers fan tends to think about. And I think it's ridiculous for Lakers fans to read this and then assume that I'm trolling just because I don't embrace how unbelievable their franchise is.

And the point of my thread wasn't to tell them how to fix it. They're the Lakers. They have all the resources in the world and the ability to attract almost any NBA player if given the opportunity to. That's there job. All I'm doing is saying that I don't think this experiment is a guarantee, and if I had to put money on it, I think it's going to fail. That's the point of these forums. To express our opinions on sports. If you don't agree with me, tell me why. If you agree with me, then back me up. But don't tell me I'm trolling just because I express an opinion that's different from yours (not speaking to you personally, but more as a generalization to the responses).

But just as a matter of objective fact, if now, two games into the season, you are also wanting to say that "hey, Dwight is fickle, remember the Orlando situation? Dwight might want out." Then that is clearly bull****. Obviously it is fine to point out that the Laker offense and the Laker defense is underperforming right now, but when you throw something like that in, pretty clearly you are kind of looking to yank some chains.
Dude, I'm not trolling. Everyone thinks about these things, and until Dwight signs on the dotted line, everyone is going to wonder about it. We just got done watching one of the most fickle athletes in the world pressure his small market franchise's pathetic front office to back into a horrible deal so that he could go where he thinks he might be happy. Who says that if this thing goes sour that he won't want to go elsewhere or that the prospect of joining Josh Smith in Atlanta or one of his other buddies elsewhere? What if Kobe's game falls off or injuries derail this team?

I'm not trying to say that it will happen. I'm trying to say that there's no guarantee Dwight will re-sign with LA until Dwight re-signs with LA. It's the same reason I was terrified at the prospect of the Rockets trading for him.

RLundi
11-01-2012, 10:18 PM
It's thrilling cinema to see how offended and upset people get from one individual's opinion.

nickdymez
11-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Noted

mightybosstone
11-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Soooo.... Was I still overreacting?

Chill_Will_24
11-03-2012, 01:51 PM

:laugh2:

KnicksorBust
11-03-2012, 02:04 PM

Dear Lakers Fans,

But all is not lost.

Sincerely,

A clearly well-thought out and detailed post.

trolling

Rivera
11-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Maybe you dont remember what happened to the last guy who sigged us for 1 game:facepalm:....we will be looking for you next time around TRUST me...typical mav fans gloating over 1 win

im a mavs fan? :laugh: thats news to me!

FormerCoach
11-11-2012, 03:49 AM
Everything will be alright . Phil is coming!

RLundi
11-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Everything will be alright . Phil is coming!

D12 Fan?

Good lord I'm glad he continually gets the ban hammer.

xxplayerxx23
11-11-2012, 12:11 PM

Dear Lakers Fans,

But all is not lost.

Sincerely,

:clap:

Diesel44
01-07-2013, 01:30 AM
This thread needs to be bumped back up.

mightybosstone
01-07-2013, 01:36 AM
Man.... Whoever wrote this is a genius. I bet he's also incredibly handsome and extremely well endowed.

Money_23
01-07-2013, 01:38 AM
lakers forum <----------------

Avenged
01-07-2013, 01:43 AM
This thread needs to be bumped back up.

No it does not since it's not allowed. There are more than enough recent Laker threads to post in and a current GT as well.