PDA

View Full Version : Lakers have to get rid of princeton offense

Losoway
10-31-2012, 01:41 AM
THIS OFFENSE IS TERRIBLE. IT TAKES THE BALL OUT OF STEVE NASH HANDS IT SLOWS DOWN THE OFFENSE. WHEN U HAVE A 2 FAST BREAK BIG MAN YOU DO NOT WANT TO SLOW DOWN OFFENSE. THE LAKERS LOOK TERRIBLE TONIGHT:facepalm::facepalm:

PLEASE DISCUSS

asandhu23
10-31-2012, 01:44 AM
Calm the **** down. Its only one game

Andrew32
10-31-2012, 01:44 AM
I agree the Lakers should push the ball with Nash, Kobe and Dwight.
Even Pau is pretty mobile for a PF.

Utd7
10-31-2012, 01:45 AM
Speed up the tempo thats why you brought Nash

gatkins11
10-31-2012, 01:45 AM
Let the knee-jerk reactions begin.

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-31-2012, 01:47 AM
Yes they just don't have the players for this offense to work not enough players and our pg makes plays with the ball in his hands not without it, tey haven't improved at all since the pre season!

Losoway
10-31-2012, 01:48 AM

im tired of all the excuse for the lakers if it was any other team they would be getting killed. The lakers are havent won a game since MAY 18th.

this princeton offense looked terrible all preseason and now it looks terrible in the season

they should speed the tempo up seriously wtf is mike brown doing

The_Logo44
10-31-2012, 01:48 AM
100% correct. Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley said the same thing on TNT. This offense makes no sense with the Lakers' personnel. The ball needs to be in Nash's hand and let Howard run the floor with his athleticism before they pound him with fouls. Lakers are playing to their weaknesses instead of their strengths.

justinnum1
10-31-2012, 01:49 AM

That doesnt change what the offense is and how it handcuffs nash.

You have the best creator in the game who thrives in an uptempo system, and you want him to play slow tempo and off the ball more than he ever has?

seikou8
10-31-2012, 01:49 AM
this offense was bad tonight but lets wait at least 10 games damn psd where overreaction happens

Losoway
10-31-2012, 01:50 AM
this offense was bad tonight but lets wait at least 10 games damn psd where overreaction happens

its not overreaction. THEY HAVENT WON A GAME ALL SUMMER . its time to discuss .

Teeboy1487
10-31-2012, 01:51 AM
Too soon to switch after one game. I will give this offense a chance. However, if we don't see improvement after 20 games, then it has to go. Like I've said before, I was never a fan of the Mike Brown hire, so my patience is very small.

topdog
10-31-2012, 01:53 AM
Why did they hire Mike Brown? With that sort of starting lineup, your system should come second. Also, what is up with missed free throws and letting MWP shoot 8 times?

LAKERMANIA
10-31-2012, 01:54 AM

Shouldn't you be happy?

ragee
10-31-2012, 01:57 AM
Mike Brown is the Lakers only problem. Why the hell did they get him in the first place? Any decent coach can figure out how to run a team as talented as them.

asandhu23
10-31-2012, 01:58 AM
You guys wouldn't survive 10 games as a Warriors' fan. :pity:

Losoway
10-31-2012, 02:00 AM
Dwight howard is one of my fav players to watch . He looked terrible tonight with the lakers smh . Mike brown might be the worst coach i ever seen

DreamShaker
10-31-2012, 02:03 AM
I'm sure they will be regularly adjusting. It is hard to fit those pieces together...especially since Howard is still getting healthy. My only concern is that Lebron thrived in spite of Mikr Brown on offense. He was infamous for sticking to the same crap.

GiantsSwaGG
10-31-2012, 02:09 AM

Nash doesn't fit the system. What don't you get?

asandhu23
10-31-2012, 02:16 AM
Nash doesn't fit the system. What don't you get?

The overreaction over one game. If they end up dominating next game, these same people will be chanting "LAKERS ARE GODS".

yonkerschampX4
I'm sure they will be regularly adjusting. It is hard to fit those pieces together...especially since Howard is still getting healthy. My only concern is that Lebron thrived in spite of Mikr Brown on offense. He was infamous for sticking to the same crap.

KLBJ#6 COULD make a playground system work at the nba level the lakers however are not so lucky

KB-Pau-DH2012
KLBJ#6 COULD make a playground system work at the nba level the lakers however are not so lucky

oh noez!

LAcowBOMBER
10-31-2012, 02:19 AM
The offensive set has nothing to do with the fast break. If they have numbers they will run.

If they don't, their half court set is best for getting the ball to all their talent. They just need to start by throwing the ball to the inside and working out. This will work, they just need to gel. I mean, Dwight has been practicing for like 2 or 3 weeks. calm down

yonkerschampX4
10-31-2012, 02:19 AM
oh noez!

man your a bad itch

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-31-2012, 02:20 AM
man your a bad itch

no please don't hurt me. :ohno:

yonkerschampX4
10-31-2012, 02:21 AM
dallas hurt you enough tonight

yonkerschampX4
10-31-2012, 02:24 AM
no please don't hurt me. :ohno:

dallas hurt you enough tonight:D

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-31-2012, 02:24 AM
dallas hurt you enough tonight:D

oh noez! :cry:

yonkerschampX4
10-31-2012, 02:26 AM
oh noez! :cry:

this guy

DerekRE_3
10-31-2012, 02:29 AM
Absolutely. It's never worked in the history of basketball. The Lakers are on not only pace for, but on the verge of going 0-82 this year. Unreal it's this bad already.

yonkerschampX4
10-31-2012, 02:38 AM
next they be trade talks LA is great at one sided trades

JayW_1023
10-31-2012, 03:58 AM
The problem is defendinq quick PGs, not the offense.

N3TS
10-31-2012, 04:25 AM
the overreaction over one game. If they end up dominating next game, these same people will be chanting "lakers are gods".

+1

kobe4thewinbang
10-31-2012, 05:05 AM
WE - NEED - PHIL

*clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap*

WE - NEED - PHIL

Fire Mike Brown, or change the style of offense. Why did they trade for Nash if they want to neutralize his talent? That's like trading for Kobe Bryant and not letting him have the ball.

kbtwofour
10-31-2012, 05:13 AM
The overreaction over one game. If they end up dominating next game, these same people will be chanting "LAKERS ARE GODS".

It's obvious if you have been watching the Lakers play since pre-season. Nash has never play this much off the ball like he has been doing since the start of training camp. There is a reason why the Lakers did not win one pre-season game this year.

The Lakers should look to run more and increase the pace of the game when they have the opportunity. Nash should be running more pick and roll with Howard and Pau.

Chronz
10-31-2012, 05:23 AM
The offense was a mess but their defense was a joke

shep33
10-31-2012, 05:30 AM
Let's remember that these guys have played about 20 minutes together. They played 1 preseason game, they looked great offensively oddly enough, but then haven't played together in a over a week.

Losoway
10-31-2012, 05:34 AM
lol the lakers will continue losing . Portland is gonna run thru them tomorrow

book mark this

Aust
10-31-2012, 05:34 AM
I saw the thread title and thought, "It's only been one game..." then saw that Losoway made the thread. I'm tempted to whip out my 'Losoway guaranteeing the Lakers won't get Dwight sig'

vandoc
10-31-2012, 05:42 AM
Yes, it is just one game, but just watching it as a basketball fan left me scratching my head. On my screen were 4 very capable basketball players struggling to get baskets. Honestly, this team should beat inferior teams like Dallas (minus Dirk) on sheer talent alone. However, they all looked lost in the new offense and it seemed like a waste of all their talents.
Mike Brown should implement a system suited to his stars and not hinder them with an offense that barely works in college, let alone the NBA.

SteBO
10-31-2012, 05:47 AM
Lol at people claiming its an overreaction. The loss itself isn't the issue here for its just 1 of 82, but the offense is and probably will continue to be one. I don't know why Mike Brown deserves any benefit of the doubt here. Offense simply isn't his forte, and I believe Nash needs to be the one take the reigns and maximize his strengths.

c.c.
10-31-2012, 06:00 AM
If they would of won their first game with it, nobody would have a problem with it right now!

5ass
10-31-2012, 06:00 AM
Lakers need to bring in jerry sloan IMO.

Sssmush
10-31-2012, 06:18 AM
THIS OFFENSE IS TERRIBLE. IT TAKES THE BALL OUT OF STEVE NASH HANDS IT SLOWS DOWN THE OFFENSE. WHEN U HAVE A 2 FAST BREAK BIG MAN YOU DO NOT WANT TO SLOW DOWN OFFENSE. THE LAKERS LOOK TERRIBLE TONIGHT:facepalm::facepalm:

PLEASE DISCUSS

Yes I agree.

Nash started out at his best on the Lakers and has gotten progressively worse on the team as the Princeton offense has been learned and taken hold.

shep33
10-31-2012, 06:23 AM
lol the lakers will continue losing . Portland is gonna run thru them tomorrow

book mark this

Meh not too worried if we do. Didn't Miami lose their first game when they formed? Didn't their offense look like **** in there first game (they scored 80 points). Heck Miami was even healthy for the most part and had time to actually play together in the preseason.

I could've sworn Miami started 9-8 in there first year together before making the Finals. It takes time. New offense (stupid offense, but the players will eventually override it), Dwight will get healthier, because he's not where he needs to be. Dude's first game in 6 months. Kobe looked great tonight, but he had an injury.

Gotta give it time.

shep33
10-31-2012, 06:25 AM
Nash after the game admitted that he was trying to run the Princeton, and probably wasn't aggressive enough with P&R. Mike Brown has given him the green light to go P&R, but Nash is trying to integrate the system first. Once he defers lol, everything will be fine

BALLER R
10-31-2012, 06:32 AM
If the Lakers start the season 0-5 Mike brown will be fired.

thenaj17
10-31-2012, 06:52 AM
I agree the Lakers should push the ball with Nash, Kobe and Dwight.
Even Pau is pretty mobile for a PF.

Disagree, Kobe and Pau are not mobile at all. Not exactly Wade and Griffin at those positions are they.

The team is possibly the slowest in the league especially the starters.

No idea why we didn't pick up Barbosa to run in the second unit with Nash and Meeks.

Wish Ariza was still here instead of 'Metta'

Yunqn
10-31-2012, 07:22 AM
Dantoni anyone ? Lol

2-ONE-5
10-31-2012, 07:59 AM
lol its ONE game. if they won by 20 you would be making s thread saying how they're the best team

--23--
10-31-2012, 08:11 AM
Lakers need to bring in jerry sloan IMO.

:clap: yes they do

PraiseJesus
10-31-2012, 08:22 AM
D'Antoni time

SteBO
10-31-2012, 08:25 AM
I just think Mike Brown needs to step aside when it comes to the offense and needs to allow Steve Nash to do what he feels necessary to generate good shots. He's a very intelligent PG and there's really no need to restrict his game. I like that Nash tried to integrate the systems into place though.....it shows that he's more than willing to give the offense a shot which is plus in terms of respect for the coach.

AlexTmz2
10-31-2012, 08:36 AM
Chill! its only one game lol. Its just a matter of time before they mesh well. Give it a chance. Jesus!

Chavacano
10-31-2012, 08:44 AM
I'll give this princeton offense 10-15 games. If no substantial improvement happens then either dump it for a simpler one(s), like #UnleashNash, or sack Coach Brown.

Hardaway Here
10-31-2012, 09:00 AM
I would agree with the whole "IT'S ONLY ONE GAME" notion if they actually showed anything in preseason which on the whole doesn't matter but it showed that their system is horrible season opener proved what the preseason showed you if you count them all so far its 0-9 Laker run that is horrible something has to change for them to be "Contenders"

Daunter
10-31-2012, 09:06 AM
Nash will not help them at all like this,they would have been better off picking up a guy who can play defense.

All Nash is doing is playing like Fisher with worse defense

JordansBulls
10-31-2012, 09:15 AM
What offense did Mike Brown run in Cleveland?

Daunter
10-31-2012, 09:19 AM
Go to LeBron offense

Jahari Kavi
10-31-2012, 09:23 AM
I don't think they have the wing players to play fast...Nash can operate in the halfcourt with the pick and roll with Dwight and Pau....this may bring down Kobe's game but someone will have to sacrifice their game with this team

Hawkize31
10-31-2012, 09:24 AM
If the Lakers even shoot 65% from the FT line, they score 8 more points, which would have tied the game at 99.

Add in the fact that they went 3 for 13 from 3, and yeah, of course they lost. They won't be this cold every night from the 3 point line and the FT line.

Also, in Miami's first game with the big 3, they scored 9 points in the first quarter and 80 inthe game. I think LA will be fine.

Hardaway Here
10-31-2012, 09:30 AM
If the Lakers even shoot 65% from the FT line, they score 8 more points, which would have tied the game at 99.

Add in the fact that they went 3 for 13 from 3, and yeah, of course they lost. They won't be this cold every night from the 3 point line and the FT line.

Also, in Miami's first game with the big 3, they scored 9 points in the first quarter and 80 inthe game. I think LA will be fine.

Well since you are adding in those IF's don't forget about the IF the mavs had Dirk and Kaman LA might of lost by more then 8 points just saying.

Jahari Kavi
10-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Disagree, Kobe and Pau are not mobile at all. Not exactly Wade and Griffin at those positions are they.

The team is possibly the slowest in the league especially the starters.

No idea why we didn't pick up Barbosa to run in the second unit with Nash and Meeks.

Wish Ariza was still here instead of 'Metta'

I don't know why they didn't pursue Barbosa harder...Nash ran in Phoenix but he also had fast spot up shooters to run with him...Kobe and most certainly Artest aren't that

JiffyMix88
10-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Shouldn't you be happy?

I'm happy :D

are you not happy?

theheatles
10-31-2012, 09:38 AM
So it was the end of the world when the Heat lost on the road to the Celtics coming off a championship appearance in 2010 but when the Lakers lose to basically a lottery team it's no big deal? it doesn't work like that

ChitownBears22
10-31-2012, 09:41 AM
First off, in the Princeton offense do they force you to miss 19 FT's? Second, maybe we should wait longer than 48 minutes to determine if an offense is a bust. Especailly when the team has practiced together healthy 0 times. Let them gel, get to 55-60 wins and go into the playoffs comfortable. Winning the West doesn't mean **** in the regular season, ask the Spurs.

ackar
10-31-2012, 09:57 AM
It's one game calm down!

eman
10-31-2012, 09:59 AM
First off you guys have got to stop saying it is only one game.

It was a home game with all the glitterati that comes with the Staples Center after they pulled of two of the most improbable trades of the off season, against a team of retreads missing their star player due to injury. Just look who they lost to Elton Brand (amnestied), OJ Mayo (free agent after no qualifying offer), Darren Collisen (moved out of starting lineup in Indiana) and was that an Eddy Curry sighting.

MIke Brown has been handed the keys to a Lambourghini and filled it with regular fuel. He is trying not to lose games rather then win them, which was what ultimately led to his downfall in Cleveland.

The list of excuses is getting a little long; it is only pre-season; it is only one game; they have to learn to play together; Kobe has to be healthy. What's next?

Jahari Kavi
10-31-2012, 09:59 AM
And you have to be able to get stops to run....Nash will always be a liability defensively but Lakers have to rotate better

theheatles
10-31-2012, 10:00 AM

It was a home game with all the glitterati that comes with the Staples Center after they pulled of two of the most improbable trades of the off season, against a team of retreads missing their star player due to injury. Just look who they lost to Elton Brand (amnestied), OJ Mayo (free agent after no qualifying offer), Darren Collisen (moved out of starting lineup in Indiana) and was that an Eddy Curry sighting.

MIke Brown has been handed the keys to a Lambourghini and filled it with regular fuel. He is trying not to lose games rather then win them, which was what ultimately led to his downfall in Cleveland.

The list of excuses is getting a little long; it is only pre-season; it is only one game; they have to learn to play together; Kobe has to be healthy. What's next?

lol thats a great analogy

ChitownBears22
10-31-2012, 10:01 AM

It has been 1 game. How many fully healthy practices have they had as a team? Is it part of the Princeton offense to miss 19 FTs? Howard is a failure at the line and kobe was a failure attacking the rim. It will change over time. Calm down ladies.

ChitownBears22
10-31-2012, 10:03 AM
lol thats a great analogy

Except the Lambo he was given has 250,000 miles on it and has been driven by a crazed Arab (I'm in the UAE right now, this isn't racist, they seriously drive Lambo's around like they are go-karts)

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-31-2012, 10:03 AM
smh overreaction to the max.

Corey
10-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Just let Steve Nash run the show. Simple as that.

ChitownBears22
10-31-2012, 10:08 AM

Yes the NBA is a pickup game..........smh. It is too early into the season to use the facepalm, but this post almost had me unleash it.

Captain Moroni
10-31-2012, 10:12 AM
I wonder if Laker fans were counting that loss as one of the nine losses they will have enroute to breaking the bulls best ever season.

macc
10-31-2012, 10:13 AM
Lol @peoples over reaction after one game. PSD kills me man.

After ONE game. PSD wants the Lakers to 1) fire the coach 2) drop their offense they have been training on all offseason/pre season.

I wonder what's going to happen if the Lakers lose the 2nd game of the season. Trade Kobe Bryant.....ect

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-31-2012, 10:15 AM
i think its safe to say that we can blame Eddy Curry for this.

ManRam
10-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Lol at people claiming its an overreaction. The loss itself isn't the issue here for its just 1 of 82, but the offense is and probably will continue to be one. I don't know why Mike Brown deserves any benefit of the doubt here. Offense simply isn't his forte, and I believe Nash needs to be the one take the reigns and maximize his strengths.

No, it is an overreaction. It might ultimately be true, but at this point it is an overreaction. You can't conclude anything significant from one regular season game and a bunch of preseason games, most of which Kobe (missed 3 games), Howard (missed 6), and others missed.

I don't know if Brown deserves the benefit of the doubt, but he's still an NBA head coach who probably, despite what we all think, knows what he's doing better than we do. A new offense, with new star players, is going to take time.

As for Nash, yes, he needs the ball in his hands a little more, but in this offense, regardless of what offense is ran, he's going to be working off the ball a lot, and he can be effective doing so. Kobe needs the ball in his hands a lot. Dwight will need it in his hands a lot. Pau is a great passer and you can work through him too.

The WORST thing this offense could do is demand Steve Nash to do all the play-making. He's tremendous at it, but it makes the offense even more one-dimensional than it is right now. There are too many weapons on this team to be running the same sets every single trip down the court.

The offense sputtered a bit last night, and they had barely any fast break points, but their biggest problem was their bench and just poor shooting. Gasol, Howard and Kobe were GREAT. There were plenty of positives. Sure, there will be some tweaks, but it is absolutely an overreaction to freak out about the offense now. Again, ultimately it might not work, but they haven't practiced it enough, played with it enough or familiarized themselves with it enough to worry right now.

Captain Moroni
10-31-2012, 10:18 AM

Your basketball IQ amazes us.
You do know this is professional basketball right? Not pee wee hoops, "give it to Johnny...and get out of the way"

Corey
10-31-2012, 10:19 AM

Yes the NBA is a pickup game..........smh. It is too early into the season to use the facepalm, but this post almost had me unleash it.
Actually, yes..most offenses break down to a pickup game.

Every team has basic motions and plays for specific scenarios, but often times offenses just simply break down to individual talent and isolations.

Also, I said they should let Nash run the show, implying that Nash should run his offense. I didn't say they should abolish every offensive set in their book.

Good effort on the callout though.

ChitownBears22
10-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Your basketball IQ amazes us.
You do know this is professional basketball right? Not pee wee hoops, "give it to Johnny...and get out of the way"

Have you read what some of these morons on here write?

"Jordan could have done it with Jamison and 40 year old Shaq, Lebron's a chump for bailing on that all-star cast"

People on here really believe that basketball is about 1 person. When the Mavs beat the Heat in the Finals two seasons ago it should have showed that it is a team sport. Or hell look at the Spurs and Pistons championships, or bostons, or Lakers. Hmmm common theme it is a team sport and teams succeed over time if they can develop together.

3RDASYSTEM
Its funny how all these non bball'ers on here spit out how unimportant 'preseason' is

from a players point of view

the offseason is just as important to work on condition/weaknesses/keep strengths in tact

the preseason is to tune up for regular season and getting that chemistry down ,work out the kinks and getting ready for game1-82

the regular season is vital for building strong chemistry(as so is pre/offseason) and jockeying for seeding position

the playoffs are a hyped up version of the reg. season, get it..more 'hyped'

the FINALS are a 'superhypedup' version of the first 3rds combined

so a note to all psd non bball'ers, its vital from offseason to the FINALS to get/make sure ya right, its that simple if you have actually competed at any sport on any level,but lets just stick to nba level

Captain Moroni
No, it is an overreaction. It might ultimately be true, but at this point it is an overreaction. You can't conclude anything significant from one regular season game and a bunch of preseason games, most of which Kobe (missed 3 games), Howard (missed 6), and others missed.

I don't know if Brown deserves the benefit of the doubt, but he's still an NBA head coach who probably, despite what we all think, knows what he's doing better than we do. A new offense, with new star players, is going to take time.

As for Nash, yes, he needs the ball in his hands a little more, but in this offense, regardless of what offense is ran, he's going to be working off the ball a lot, and he can be effective doing so. Kobe needs the ball in his hands a lot. Dwight will need it in his hands a lot. Pau is a great passer and you can work through him too.

The WORST thing this offense could do is demand Steve Nash to do all the play-making. He's tremendous at it, but it makes the offense even more one-dimensional than it is right now. There are too many weapons on this team to be running the same sets every single trip down the court.

The offense sputtered a bit last night, and they had barely any fast break points, but their biggest problem was their bench and just poor shooting. Gasol, Howard and Kobe were GREAT. There were plenty of positives. Sure, there will be some tweaks, but it is absolutely an overreaction to freak out about the offense now. Again, ultimately it might not work, but they haven't practiced it enough, played with it enough or familiarized themselves with it enough to worry right now.

Real issue for the offense is that Nash looked his age last night. And young mr collision took his lunch all night. Nash is still a good PG, and I'm sure he will have fantastic nights, but Stockton did the same thing, age catches up with you in a starting roll.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-31-2012, 10:22 AM
lol this is getting good.

*eats popcorn loudly..

ChitownBears22
10-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Actually, yes..most offenses break down to a pickup game.

Every team has basic motions and plays for specific scenarios, but often times offenses just simply break down to individual talent and isolations.

Also, I said they should let Nash run the show, implying that Nash should run his offense. I didn't say they should abolish every offensive set in their book.

Good effort on the callout though.

What NBA games do you watch where teams run simple motions. Each offense is setup to play scenarios. Most offenses are more than just a couple motions.

Captain Moroni
10-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Have you read what some of these morons on here write?

"Jordan could have done it with Jamison and 40 year old Shaq, Lebron's a chump for bailing on that all-star cast"

People on here really believe that basketball is about 1 person. When the Mavs beat the Heat in the Finals two seasons ago it should have showed that it is a team sport. Or hell look at the Spurs and Pistons championships, or bostons, or Lakers. Hmmm common theme it is a team sport and teams succeed over time if they can develop together.

Absolutely

Xplicit
10-31-2012, 10:25 AM
Princeton is great suit as their main offense, if they want to get fresh till playoffs. They're getting old and their knees should not run alot.. They just need to run if theres a steal.. :D Their defense will dictate their games

Romo2Bryant
10-31-2012, 10:31 AM

relax, Dan Gilbert...

netsgiantsyanks
10-31-2012, 10:33 AM
i have a solution: fire mike brown.

xxplayerxx23
10-31-2012, 10:35 AM
I can't stand the Lakers more then even the Heat, well I might not go that far yet lol, but stfu. It's one game and going to take them some time to mesh, they will come out slow but finish strong something like the heat did there 1st year together. Relax Lakers will be fine.

3RDASYSTEM
10-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Also another overused term on here is 'having the ball in his hands'

duh, every great player needs that..from MLB(bat on the ball) to NLF(QB to every skill player)

you think MAGIC/STOCKTON/JACKSON/KIDD could have racked up so many dimes without the pill in they palm?

you think JORDAN/IVERSON/WEST/GERVIN took a bunch of shots off they back or with the pill in they hands?

UNSELD/RODMAN/WALLACE/MOSES all needed the ball in they hands when they got a rebound right?

i dont know whats worse overhyped term,help me out psd.... 'needing to have the ball in your hands' or 'making your teammates better''...just a bunch of poppycock when you actually play and see for yourself

ChicagoJ
10-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Things will get heated if they don't have a winning record early on. Not the first few games, but after 10-15 or so if they have a loosing record then the lakers will be the talk of the nba.

gcoll
10-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Almost all of the highest scoring teams of the last decade have demanded that Steve Nash run the offense.

And those offenses relied primarily on the pick and roll -- the two man game.

That's what Steve Nash does best.

I'm sure he can do well in the Princeton offense. But, by doing that, you're taking a phenomenal jazz musician, and trying to put him in an orchestra. Why do that?

blystr2002
10-31-2012, 10:45 AM
1. It was only one game. The preseason doesn't matter. They were resting starters and limiting minutes.

2. The Lakers are old. You can not push the ball for 82 games and a playoff run at their age.

3. Finally, how hard do you want to push the ball? Do you want to bring in the Phoenix offense for Nash? That brought him a lot of rings.

Just relax a few games. The Playoffs are where half court offenses dominant and that is what the Lakers are training for.

49erGiantLaker
10-31-2012, 10:51 AM
This thread should have been titled: Lakers have to get rid of Mike Brown

Greedy22
10-31-2012, 10:52 AM
What offense did Mike Brown run in Cleveland?

Let Lebron work his magic.

blystr2002
10-31-2012, 10:53 AM
This thread should have been titled: Lakers have to get rid of Mike Brown

It is a given that if Brown doesn't win this year he is gone.

49erGiantLaker
10-31-2012, 10:54 AM
It is a given that if Brown doesn't win this year he is gone.

I just never liked the Brown signing from the beginning.

Munkeysuit
10-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Well it's pretty damn obvious they just didn't know how to balance this offense.I been saying all along, have Pau come off the bench so Nash can run pick n roll with Dwight.

ManRam
10-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Almost all of the highest scoring teams of the last decade have demanded that Steve Nash run the offense.

And those offenses relied primarily on the pick and roll -- the two man game.

That's what Steve Nash does best.

I'm sure he can do well in the Princeton offense. But, by doing that, you're taking a phenomenal jazz musician, and trying to put him in an orchestra. Why do that?

Nash running a 10 seconds-or-less offense with Kobe, Dwight and Pau Gasol would be terrible. First off, he's almost 39, secondly, those guys aren't the best transition players in the world. Yeah, they need to look to run a little more than they did last night, and I'm sure with some more time and practice they will, but this is going to be a half court offense, and running it through Nash every play isn't the best way to approach it. This team is relatively old, and relatively thin. It's not conducive to running the old Steve Nash/Nellie Ball offenses back in his prime.

We continue to overrate the role of point guards in this league. Teams can be wildly successful with extreme pass-first PGs who are relied upon to create the bulk of the offense (it's not too common), but give me a balanced team that moves the ball as a unit and breaks down a defense over a team with a 39 year-old PG relied to do everything.

Nash needs to create more than he did last night, but he's not going to be getting 10 assists a game on this team, nor should he be expected to. This team has too many diverse weapons offensively to just rely on the P&R every play.

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 10:57 AM
That doesnt change what the offense is and how it handcuffs nash.

You have the best creator in the game who thrives in an uptempo system, and you want him to play slow tempo and off the ball more than he ever has?

That is spot on. I thought we traded Fisher away because he wasn't a good offensive player and we needed a pick and roll PG who could make things happen. Brown has Nash out there like he is Fisher, limited offense and can't guard his man on D. Then we trade a back to the basket C for the most athletic C in the game who likes to run up and down the floor and made him a back to the basket C. We got theses guys for the things they are good at, not to make them do what they guys before them were doing. I thought this team would be fun to watch, but the flow of the game seemed the same as last year.

Let the team run after rebounds and see if they can get an easy bucket, Gasol and Howard are 2 of the best bigs in the NBA at running the floor and Kobe would thrive in that. Nash can do his thing and pull it back if we don't get a shot at an easy bucket. It was hard to watch last night, the preseason carried over. We have an old team and if we want to rest guys later in the year, we need to beat a Dallas team at home without their best player and their best C. That sucked, even the defense sucked.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Let Lebron work his magic.

so maybe he wants kobe to work his magic as well, because i mean ask any lakers fan kobe > everyone.

thenaj17
Well it's pretty damn obvious they just didn't know how to balance this offense.I been saying all along, have Pau come off the bench so Nash can run pick n roll with Dwight.

Although most might disagree, i'd rather have Kobe on the Bench than Pau. At least the bench would have a go to guy who can create his own shots.

1 of Nash/Kobe has to be in at all times and same goes for Pau/Dwight

Guppyfighter
John Hollinger ‏@johnhollinger

Just finished Mavs-Lakers. Thought Mike Brown had a great game plan yo neutralize Steve Nash.
Ignarus ‏@thegreatIgnarus

@johnhollinger It takes a strong leader to draw up that many isos for Metta World Peace.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-31-2012, 11:01 AM
the MAIN PROBLEM, and biggest hurdle between those players is learning to play OFF THE BALL.

lebron, wade, and bosh both had to learn how to do it.

nash is old, and so is kobe, i doubt they will play effectively off the ball, HOWEVER, i expect howard to improve, and i expect the lakers offense to improve with improved chemistry..

but everythin for miami clicked once they figured how to move off the ball and improve in the offseason towards that part of the game.

Munkeysuit
10-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Nash / Blake
Kobe / Meeks
Ebanks / Jamison
Metta / Gasol
Dwight / Hill

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Also another overused term on here is 'having the ball in his hands'

duh, every great player needs that..from MLB(bat on the ball) to NLF(QB to every skill player)

you think MAGIC/STOCKTON/JACKSON/KIDD could have racked up so many dimes without the pill in they palm?

you think JORDAN/IVERSON/WEST/GERVIN took a bunch of shots off they back or with the pill in they hands?

UNSELD/RODMAN/WALLACE/MOSES all needed the ball in they hands when they got a rebound right?

i dont know whats worse overhyped term,help me out psd.... 'needing to have the ball in your hands' or 'making your teammates better''...just a bunch of poppycock when you actually play and see for yourself

your logic is wayy off. pls think before u type.
grabbing a rebound has nothing to do with what the term "having the ball in their hands" means.

kobe, especially last year, was used to being the playmaker and the person with the ball in hands and shot within motion. not saying the results were good, but thats how he always has been, he is a shoot-first player.

NASH IS A PASS FIRST PLAYER. HOW THE **** IS HE GONNA PASS IF HE DOESNT HAVE THE BALL?

howard is used to getting the ball in the post whenever he calls for it with the pf getting out of the way, they were clogged up there..
these are all fixable things, but to disregard the balls in hands and use that junk of an excuse is just stupid on your part.

IndyRealist
10-31-2012, 11:07 AM
With a few exceptions (Popovich, Carlisle, etc) when you hire a coach you're committing to his system. You then go get personnel to fit that system. Very few coaches will change their systems to suit the players they have. I think it's obvious to everyone that Nash does not fit into Brown's system. That should have been obvious before they traded for him.

I remember people on PSD saying that Nash would be fine without the ball in his hands, because he's such a great shooter....

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Nash running a 10 seconds-or-less offense with Kobe, Dwight and Pau Gasol would be terrible. First off, he's almost 39, secondly, those guys aren't the best transition players in the world. Yeah, they need to look to run a little more than they did last night, and I'm sure with some more time and practice they will, but this is going to be a half court offense, and running it through Nash every play isn't the best way to approach it. This team is relatively old, and relatively thin. It's not conducive to running the old Steve Nash/Nellie Ball offenses back in his prime.

We continue to overrate the role of point guards in this league. Teams can be wildly successful with extreme pass-first PGs who are relied upon to create the bulk of the offense (it's not too common), but give me a balanced team that moves the ball as a unit and breaks down a defense over a team with a 39 year-old PG relied to do everything.

Nash needs to create more than he did last night, but he's not going to be getting 10 assists a game on this team, nor should he be expected to. This team has too many diverse weapons offensively to just rely on the P&R every play.

Nobody is saying run the 10 seconds or less, but run when you can. Howard can run, he wasn't traded for Bynum to be turned into Bynum. Also, Nash needs to do alot more pick and roll. Don't say he can't because he is old, John Stockton was old and ran it great in his later years. Nash can play pick and roll with 3 guys in Howard, Gasol, and Kobe. Gasol can also make secondary passes out of that to get an easy bucket for Howard like he did in the 1st qyr a few times. You don't make 2 all star players change what they are good at.

Losoway
10-31-2012, 11:09 AM
i love the laker fans thats saying its only one game but let it be any other team that goes 0-8 and then loses to a team that didnt even have its 2 best players

this site is so bias. the lakers looked bad...What happens tonight when they lose ??? what excuse are u guys going to say next? its only 2 games? lmao

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-31-2012, 11:10 AM
With a few exceptions (Popovich, Carlisle, etc) when you hire a coach you're committing to his system. You then go get personnel to fit that system. Very few coaches will change their systems to suit the players they have. I think it's obvious to everyone that Nash does not fit into Brown's system. That should have been obvious before they traded for him.

I remember people on PSD saying that Nash would be fine without the ball in his hands, because he's such a great shooter....

add coach spo to ur list. he really had to go search for new offensive plays and defensive plays.

Munkeysuit
10-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Lakers play the Blazers tonight so maybe they get a chance at redemption.

Losoway
10-31-2012, 11:11 AM
John Hollinger ‏@johnhollinger

Just finished Mavs-Lakers. Thought Mike Brown had a great game plan yo neutralize Steve Nash.
Ignarus ‏@thegreatIgnarus

@johnhollinger It takes a strong leader to draw up that many isos for Metta World Peace.

lmaooooooooooooooooooo by far the best post

Gibby23

That is the thing, Brown changed his system this year. In his old system Nash would do great because him and Kobe would be they guys with the ball in their hands to make plays and run pick and roll, that is what he ran with the Cavs. He changed his own system this year, to a system he has never ran.

Losoway
The blazers are a far better team then the mavericks. Damien is gonna have a field day with nash defense

Losoway
Question - why did metta world peace have so many iso plays ?

Gibby23
Lakers play the Blazers tonight so maybe they get a chance at redemption.

Lakers suck playing in Portland.

t_money25
10-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Wow PSD once again shows why pro teams don't come here for advice. Lakers play one game with an almost entirely new roster and its time to change the offense? SMH

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-31-2012, 11:12 AM
LA better represent my fantasy tonight.

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 11:13 AM

He held the ball too long sometimes and then he really didn't have a choice but to shoot. That is the thing, that wasn't even the offense, that wasn't ball movement.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-31-2012, 11:13 AM

he didnt lol mostly he had a few shots time expired, 3 point second chance shots, and a few steals with him leadin the transition..

i didnt see anythin out of the ordinary

Xplicit
10-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Kobe 11-14 FG
Howard 8-12 FG (except 3-14 FT)

why you all dont like their offense?
Its just their defense looks awful.. they gave away too much points inside/layups.. they need to improve their defense rotation, improve their freethrows and outrebound their opponents much (bigger) since they have Dwight and Gasol...

Losoway
10-31-2012, 11:14 AM
he didnt lol mostly he had a few shots time expired, 3 point second chance shots, and a few steals with him leadin the transition..

i didnt see anythin out of the ordinary

lol idk what game u was watching but the game the world was watching . metta had the ball more then nash

my god nash played like vintage derek fisher last night . the blazers are gonna have a field day tonight

Losoway
10-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Kobe 11-14 FG
Howard 8-12 FG (except 3-14 FT)

why you all dont like their offense?
Its just their defense looks awful.. they gave away to much points inside layups.. they need to improve their defense rotation, improve their freethrows and outrebound their opponents much bigger since they have Dwight and Gasol...

its there offense. whats the point of bringing in a fast break styled point guard if your just gonna slow him down and make a 39 year old play off the ball when he never did that in his career .

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 11:17 AM
its there offense. whats the point of bringing in a fast break styled point guard if your just gonna slow him down and make a 39 year old play off the ball when he never did that in his career .

That is the same thing he did with Sessions last year, but that was because Bynum couldn't run. If he is going to do this with Nash, we could have kept Sessions for 4 million less. Mike Brown is dumb.

IndyRealist
10-31-2012, 11:26 AM
That is the thing, Brown changed his system this year. In his old system Nash would do great because him and Kobe would be they guys with the ball in their hands to make plays and run pick and roll, that is what he ran with the Cavs. He changed his own system this year, to a system he has never ran.

Guess he took those comments about running a 5th grade offense seriously, huh?

JasonJohnHorn
10-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Mike Brown is the Lakers only problem. Why the hell did they get him in the first place? Any decent coach can figure out how to run a team as talented as them.

This. The Lakers should have gotten rid of this guy after they lost to OKC in the playoffs as badly as they did.

the Lakers had the best SG in the league, the center in the series and the best power forward in the series, and still managed to be utterly destroyed by the the Thunder (I exagerate a little). As talented as the Lakers were LAST year, they should have been in the finals. As talented as they are this year, they should be 82-0.

Brown, no offense to the guy, he's a great defensive coach, but he cannot run an offense.

MintBerryCrunch
10-31-2012, 11:39 AM
One game

Guppyfighter
10-31-2012, 11:41 AM
This. The Lakers should have gotten rid of this guy after they lost to OKC in the playoffs as badly as they did.

the Lakers had the best SG in the league, the center in the series and the best power forward in the series, and still managed to be utterly destroyed by the the Thunder (I exagerate a little). As talented as the Lakers were LAST year, they should have been in the finals. As talented as they are this year, they should be 82-0.

Brown, no offense to the guy, he's a great defensive coach, but he cannot run an offense.
Now they will have to settle for 81-1, not too shabby.

MintBerryCrunch
10-31-2012, 11:47 AM
I agree we shouldn't run this offense, but there's no worries after one
Game

tennisoscar1
10-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Did Mike Brown implement this offense or was it Eddie Jordan? That offense never works. Eddie Jordan ruined the Sixers in his time here.. he sucks.

LAKERMANIA
10-31-2012, 12:20 PM
One game
Ditto.

Don't let the 4-1 fool you, games 3 and 4 were lost when we had the lead in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes left.

I agree his defense is much better than his offense, call me crazy, but I think we need to give him more than one game..

justinnum1
10-31-2012, 12:24 PM

The massive disparity in athleticism was the main factor the lakers lost.

Even now the lakers are lacking athletic players.

Lakers4life08
10-31-2012, 01:11 PM
so this princeton offense is really good??how many teams use this offense and how many trophies team wonn with this system??which team was the best with princeton offense?
and why laker got Nash??becouse in this princeton offense he is useless

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-31-2012, 01:14 PM
The problem is defendinq quick PGs, not the offense.

It's not even about that at all, we've won the last 2 championships with fisher we have been successful athletic pg's can't be stopped they can he held to bad nights but can't be stopped... It's mike brown and the Princeton offense

futureman
10-31-2012, 01:19 PM
I like their offense just the way it is. I hope it keeps them from winning games.

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-31-2012, 01:27 PM
the MAIN PROBLEM, and biggest hurdle between those players is learning to play OFF THE BALL.

lebron, wade, and bosh both had to learn how to do it.

nash is old, and so is kobe, i doubt they will play effectively off the ball, HOWEVER, i expect howard to improve, and i expect the lakers offense to improve with improved chemistry..

but everythin for miami clicked once they figured how to move off the ball and improve in the offseason towards that part of the game.

Have you seen Kobe off the ball dude? You doubt he'll play effectively? Last time I checked he shot 50% in the preseason and in his first game of the regular season he shot 78.6% I say he's doing just fine

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-31-2012, 01:30 PM
The blazers are a far better team then the mavericks. Damien is gonna have a field day with nash defense

Nash defense is so underrated sure he got torched yesterday but that doesn't mean his defense sucks he's not good either just not as bad as you people make him out to be. He had a hand on the players face every time they scored on him what more can u ask for?

alexander_37
10-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Lakers forum???

zB_#85
10-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Let the knee-jerk reactions begin.

it is knee jerk since it's only been one game, but it's also correct. Princeton offense isn't optimal for the personnel of this team. Brown is a moron, even when they get the kinks worked out and gel I still think Nash running P&R with Gasol and Howard then you get the ball to Kobe in sweet spots and to close quarters/games. Push the tempo when you can but not too often so you wear out all the old men. That's the obvious way to run the offense with the talent and personnel on this team. All the Princeton offense does is negate Nash and makes everyone think too much. They're over complicating something that should be pretty simple...go dominate with the personnel you have.

Hardaway Here
10-31-2012, 02:38 PM
0-8 Preseason (doesn't matter right its preseason)
0-1 Season so far (it's only one game)
if they go 0-8 (Insert homer Laker excuse here)

lol, please
10-31-2012, 03:00 PM

PLEASE DISCUSS

:laugh2:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachments/everything-else/25747d1332357546-caps-lock-feature-posts-stop-using-gets-annoying-caps.jpg

http://cdn.funnycorner.net/funny-pictures/4902/caps-lock-2.jpg

Losoway
10-31-2012, 04:05 PM
:laugh2:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachments/everything-else/25747d1332357546-caps-lock-feature-posts-stop-using-gets-annoying-caps.jpg

http://cdn.funnycorner.net/funny-pictures/4902/caps-lock-2.jpg

was this suppose to be funny? can you feel me in on the real joke i need a laugh

Pluvious
10-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Well, its definitely interesting that the last time they tried to implement it was with Eddie Jordan in Philly and it failed there.

heyman321
10-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Ditto.

Don't let the 4-1 fool you, games 3 and 4 were lost when we had the lead in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes left.

I agree his defense is much better than his offense, call me crazy, but I think we need to give him more than one game..

Dude you're a crazy mofo. Kobe and Dwight and Nash need to be traded ASAP!!! TURMOIL IN DA LOCKERROOOOM!!!!

Corey
10-31-2012, 04:56 PM
For sure...But at the same time, Brown's offense was middle of the pack last year as well.

I just think it would be smart to explore handing the offensive reigns over to someone else.

Doc had no problem letting Thibs run the defense in Boston when they got him on board in 2008, and that worked out really well. Why not let an offensive minded assistant take care of the offensive gameplan?

Obviously 1 game is nothing, but the Princeton offense was designed to be successful against ivy league teams, there's a reason it's not commonly implemented in the NBA.

Gibby23
10-31-2012, 04:59 PM
For sure...But at the same time, Brown's offense was middle of the pack last year as well.

I just think it would be smart to explore handing the offensive reigns over to someone else.
Doc had no problem letting Thibs run the defense in Boston when they got him on board in 2008, and that worked out really well. Why not let an offensive minded assistant take care of the offensive gameplan?

Obviously 1 game is nothing, but the Princeton offense was designed to be successful against ivy league teams, there's a reason it's not commonly implemented in the NBA.

He did, to the wrong guy though. We brought in Eddie Jordan. Should have just kept it the same and let Nash run pick and roll and throw it down to Howard and Gasol at times. Too much talent, no need to handcuff what these guys do best.

PraiseJesus
10-31-2012, 08:32 PM
what the heck is princeton offense???

theheatles
10-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Stan Van was co hosting the Le Batard show today and he was saying how the lakers weren't even running the princeton offense all that much. He was saying how they were using a hybrid with pick n roll, zone and flex with the princeton offense and that it's 1 of the most complex offenses he sees in the league and it'll be awhile before they are running on all cylinders

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-31-2012, 09:18 PM
0-8 Preseason (doesn't matter right its preseason)
0-1 Season so far (it's only one game)
if they go 0-8 (Insert homer Laker excuse here)

I can tell already, you will be a handful to handle in these forums.

Hardaway Here
10-31-2012, 09:55 PM

You guys were a paper team to begin with and a nice majority of Laker fans guaranteeing the title with no work put in yet. It is too soon to judge them completely but if they do start out that way I just want to see if any humble laker fans appear

sunsfan88
10-31-2012, 09:55 PM
I wonder if Nash is wondering why he left...

sunsfan88
10-31-2012, 09:57 PM

These are the same people you will never find when its midseason and all the good teams start showing their good and all the bad teams (like the one's he probably rooting for) all have bad records.