PDA

View Full Version : Mike Brown's offense and Steve Nash's role

dnewguy
10-31-2012, 01:06 AM
With a dominant big man (Howard), is the Princeton offense right for the Lakers? Should Brown be playing Nash like Derrick Fisher? this are my observations of the game so far.

Your thoughts?

John Walls Era
10-31-2012, 01:08 AM
Nah don't play the pick and roll. I mean it would be too obvious having Nash and Dwight.

Deception
10-31-2012, 01:09 AM
Mike Brown is one of the worst coaches in the NBA, I don't think he's going to last long.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-31-2012, 01:10 AM
Who's Derrick Fisher?

KnickaBocka.44
10-31-2012, 01:10 AM
The system is right for the rest of the players they have though, making Nash an afterthought. Nash would have a bigger effect playing in a different system, but I think he will still put up solid numbers by the end of the year.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-31-2012, 01:12 AM
Mike Brown is idiotic. We saw that in his days with the Cavs.

0nekhmer
10-31-2012, 01:14 AM
Why is gasol taking most of the shots?! Kobe actually ha s good fg percentage? Not a recipe of winning lakers.. IS THIS A FAKE VIDEO?!

NYSpirit1
10-31-2012, 01:16 AM
Add Content

HuRRiCaNeS324
I'm not gonna act like i know exactly what the Princeton offense is, other than it consists of a lot of cutting, but i do know when a team has Kobe, Howard, Pau, and Nash it should be a more potent offense.

If i'm a Laker fan i wouldn't be worried if they were running what they've always ran, but since Brown is trying to revamp the offense like an idiot i would be. js

PurpleJesus
Who's Derrick Fisher?

pretty sure you know who he's talking about.

Andrew32
10-31-2012, 01:20 AM
Nash is so talented.
It is a shame for him to be wasted by a coach who doesn't understand how to utilize his many strengths.

I hope Brown either figures it out (doubtful) or gets replaced.

LAKobeBryant
10-31-2012, 01:21 AM
Lakers played fine today offensively except for missing 19 fts. thats what lost us the game.

dh144498
Why is gasol taking most of the shots?! Kobe actually ha s good fg percentage? Not a recipe of winning lakers.. IS THIS A FAKE VIDEO?!

this.

C-Style
A coach job is to maximize the players talent.

KnickaBocka.44
10-31-2012, 01:22 AM
Lakers played fine today offensively except for missing 19 fts. thats what lost us the game.

Get used to the Dwight Howard experience.

Duncan = Donkey
10-31-2012, 01:23 AM
All they have do is put the ball in Nash's hands and let him create. But that wont happen cause Kobe wont to get take contested fade aways like the sick **** he is.

justinnum1
10-31-2012, 01:23 AM
nash is so talented.
It is a shame for him to be wasted by a coach who doesn't understand how to utilize his many strengths.

i hope brown either figures it out (doubtful) or gets replaced.

+1

NYSpirit1
10-31-2012, 01:25 AM
Nash is a system player. People forget he wasn't that amazing with the Mavs. He was an All-Star, but not a MVP type.

He's out of Phoenix, out of the run n gun and away from D'Antoni and he'll probably settle into a 10-11 point, 7 assist role here in LA.

This is one of the worst possible systems for him and Kobe as his backcourt mate is terrible. Not to mention I don't think he would've been good in NY with Melo and Woodson either.

Phoenix was good for him, that offense was good for him, but despite the talent he didn't have last year and has now, he won't put up huge statistics because he's not that talented outside of a fast paced offense.

Andrew32
10-31-2012, 01:27 AM

You can't act like the offense wasn't pretty ugly for most of the game.
They haven't figured things out yet.

They have much work to do.

Duncan = Donkey
10-31-2012, 01:27 AM
Nash is a system player. People forget he wasn't that amazing with the Mavs. He was an All-Star, but not a MVP type.

He's out of Phoenix, out of the run n gun and away from D'Antoni and he'll probably settle into a 10-11 point, 7 assist role here in LA.

This is one of the worst possible systems for him and Kobe as his backcourt mate is terrible. Not to mention I don't think he would've been good in NY with Melo and Woodson either.

Phoenix was good for him, that offense was good for him, but despite the talent he had last year and doesn't have now, he won't put up huge statistics because he's not that talented outside of a fast paced offense.

:facepalm: absolute ridiclious post.

He wont put up big statistics because the offense wont be run through him, not because he isnt that talented. ****en dumb ******

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-31-2012, 01:28 AM
Time to bring in Jerry Sloan.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-31-2012, 01:29 AM

No they didn't.

davids22
10-31-2012, 01:31 AM

Phoenix was good for him, that offense was good for him, but despite the talent he didn't have last year and has now, he won't put up huge statistics becasuse he's not that talented outside of a fast paced offense.

Where was this analogy before the game? You're basing this on ONE game. Of course we know what we saw but you should be asking is this what we're going to continue to see.

Lakers will be fine.

But Laker fans, get ready for everyone to jump on the hate-train. This is Miami's big-3 situation all over again with the way the media is going to jump on this loss. Ridiculous.

justinnum1
10-31-2012, 01:32 AM
they have a legit issue with the players they have and that is spacing.

Andrew32
10-31-2012, 01:33 AM
No they didn't.

Thank you...
The Lakers offense was the exact opposite of a well oiled machine tonight.

Not saying they won't figure it out but they haven't yet.

Bravo95
10-31-2012, 01:35 AM
Missed 19 FTs, but Nash and Metta were a combined 4-17 (1-7 on threes). Eh.

John Walls Era
10-31-2012, 01:36 AM
Sad thing about Mike Brown is that everyone and their families [who don't even watch basketball] knows how to utalize Nash better that him. Maybe its his ego and he actually thinks hes great enough to make it work. Time will tell, but I doubt he'll do anything.

bholly
10-31-2012, 01:40 AM
It isn't really Mike Brown's offense - isn't Eddie Jordan running it? The Princeton is definitely his calling card. There isn't a single Sixers fan who is surprised at how bad it looked tonight.

Daunter
10-31-2012, 01:44 AM
The Lakers made a mistake picking up Nash.Blake can do what he's doing right now.

NYSpirit1
10-31-2012, 01:44 AM
People are quick to call the Knicks old, but the one caveat they fail to see here is Nash is almost 40. He's not going to be great forever and this change of scenery could be his downfall.

As in a different system, different team.

Kidd and Nash have had comparable careers, Kidd just went downhill quicker. They are both top 7-8 PGs of all-time.

yonkerschampX4
10-31-2012, 01:48 AM
Who's Derrick Fisher?

derek fisher only has 5 rings to. but I see you only bashing the guy over spelling

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-31-2012, 01:51 AM
All they have do is put the ball in Nash's hands and let him create. But that wont happen cause Kobe wont to get take contested fade aways like the sick **** he is.

Wtf? Lol Kobe was like 9-13 or something like that and he was playing within the offense but yet it's his fault? Gtfo out of here dude get your **** straight then talk

KobeBeatJesus
10-31-2012, 01:56 AM
He's not going to be great forever

The greats usually are.

yonkerschampX4
10-31-2012, 02:10 AM
only the greats

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-31-2012, 02:21 AM
derek fisher only has 5 rings to. but I see you only bashing the guy over spelling

oh noez! :ohno:

yonkerschampX4
10-31-2012, 02:34 AM
oh noez! :ohno:

:)

King P
10-31-2012, 02:39 AM
I'm not gonna act like i know exactly what the Princeton offense is, other than it consists of a lot of cutting, but i do know when a team has Kobe, Howard, Pau, and Nash it should be a more potent offense.

If i'm a Laker fan i wouldn't be worried if they were running what they've always ran, but since Brown is trying to revamp the offense like an idiot i would be. js
The Princeton offense is very slow paced and consists of alot of motion, passing, screens, and backdoor cuts.

It was basically created at Princeton as a way to keep up with the more superior college basketball teams so they wouldn't get run off the court. Problem is it doesn't work in the NBA. It's the equivalent of an NFL team running the spread option.

The Lakers team is too talented to be running such a simplistic offense.

kbtwofour
10-31-2012, 02:48 AM
MB makes so pretty dumb decisions.

It seems like no matter who plays PG for the Lakers he wants his PG to play like Steve Blake. He turned Sessions into Blake 2.0 last season. Just go back and watch game film of the Lakers when Sessions was able to run and penetrate on offense. He played well as the starting PG when he was able to run and speed up the game. Sessions struggled the moment Brown made him slow down the game and made him into a spot up shooter.

Brown is doing the same with Nash this season. Instead of letting Nash run on the fast break, run pick and roll with Howard and Pau, he is turning Nash into Blake 2.0.

kobe4thewinbang
10-31-2012, 05:11 AM
MB makes so pretty dumb decisions.

It seems like no matter who plays PG for the Lakers he wants his PG to play like Steve Blake. He turned Sessions into Blake 2.0 last season. Just go back and watch game film of the Lakers when Sessions was able to run and penetrate on offense. He played well as the starting PG when he was able to run and speed up the game. Sessions struggled the moment Brown made him slow down the game and made him into a spot up shooter.

Brown is doing the same with Nash this season. Instead of letting Nash run on the fast break, run pick and roll with Howard and Pau, he is turning Nash into Blake 2.0. Yeah, MB needs to go. Fast. This slow offense will be devoured by Boston and San Antonio due to their defense, and by OKC and Miami due to their speed. Even the Warriors and Clippers would run laps around this boring, ineffective crap.

Chronz
10-31-2012, 05:18 AM
The difference is smaller than you imagine, statistically he had a better year in Dallas than he did in some of his PHX years.

Sssmush
10-31-2012, 06:21 AM
Nash is so talented.

I hope Brown either figures it out (doubtful) or gets replaced.

yah.

I was believing in Mike Brown last year but now I'm getting tired of it. This really looks like too much team for him to handle.

The good news is there is plenty of time for a meltdown + reboot cycle this season.

Chavacano
10-31-2012, 08:45 AM
The princeton offense should be ran when Nash isn't on the floor. It obviously restricts him.

thenaj17
10-31-2012, 11:48 AM
The princeton offense should be ran when Nash isn't on the floor. It obviously restricts him.

Especially as the offense is designed for inferior players playing against better teams. This would be ideal for the 2nd unit to run it.

Blink
10-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Yeah that offense is horrible

dnewguy
10-31-2012, 12:08 PM
It seems to me that Lakers fans think Brown should run offense through Nash but they are forgetting that Nash is 39 years old and not as good as he once was. I think Nash is a great shooter that will still flourish if the offense go through Howard. The problem I saw with the Lakers is not their offense btw, it's their chemistry on defense. They will have to figure out a way to cover for Nash's shortcomings. Maybe have Nash defend the slower guard and either Kobe or Artest defend the other one(s)

LAKERMANIA
10-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Man the NBA forum is looking like the Lakers forum... Look at all the Mike Brown related threads! :laugh2:

JasonJohnHorn
10-31-2012, 12:42 PM

Firrstly, Gasol shot over .500 from the floor last night. He's a legit first option. Bryant being 11-14 is an anomoly! And if his FG% continues to be this high in the new system, they should stick it with it. It would be an improvement!

and what video are you talking about?!?!!?!?

Anyways... Brown is inept on offense. they never should have hired him. Nash can run the pcika nd roll with Gasol and Howard all night and get Kobe lots of open looks...

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Hope Mike Clown gets run over by a car on the 405 on the way to work.

king4day
10-31-2012, 01:13 PM
They should fire Mike Brown and bring in D'Antoni. They have the players to make that system run.
I hope this season is a train wreck and Howard reconsiders resigning. Then, more than likely, he goes to a smaller market team.

LA_Raiders
10-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Brown doesnt know what to do and how to play the Big 4....

Becks2307
10-31-2012, 01:23 PM

chris smoove reference FTW

Heediot
10-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Nah don't play the pick and roll. I mean it would be too obvious having Nash and Dwight.

Why not when u have a good pick n pop guy in Gasol as well? A lot of things are predictable but if you cannot stop it doesn't matter.

Lakerfan In NY
10-31-2012, 01:29 PM
There's such a rush to judge this team its crazy w/ just one game in. I agree with Barkley when he said that Nash needs to push the ball more. That will open up the floor & allow DH to beat his man down the floor for some easier hoops but a Nash dominated offense isn't gonna work in LA. You have to give him the freedom to run the break & if its not there bring it out & set-up the offense. There are too many weapons to watch Nash dribble around like he was in PHX. Different team, different players, different system.

Defensive: they looked horrible! Giving up damn near 100 pts the a Dirk-less team is unacceptable. That is a major concern IMO more than any offense lacking... There rotation was horrible. Inconsitent P&R defense.

Bench rotations or lack there of. You have 4 stubs yet you sub 3 & leave one in why? You can't have gasol or howard & four bums & think thats a winning formula.

Lakerfan In NY
10-31-2012, 01:32 PM
They should fire Mike Brown and bring in D'Antoni. They have the players to make that system run.
I hope this season is a train wreck and Howard reconsiders resigning. Then, more than likely, he goes to a smaller market team.

Wow!!! Now that's alot of lakers haterade. You mad son?

DanG
10-31-2012, 01:36 PM
I still give Brown some time to get this team going. If they are not battling for the 1-3 seed, fire him!

TyrionLannister
10-31-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm loving this. It's allowing Gasol to rack up assists for my fantasy team and Dwight Howard to miss a ton of free throws. Double victory for me!

Oh, and yeah if they want to win they should free Steve Nash. But still, what they're doing is working for me, so keep doing what you're doing!

Chavacano
10-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Man the NBA forum is looking like the Lakers forum... Look at all the Mike Brown related threads! :laugh2:

^^ They're more worried than we are. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/images/smilies/hahano.gif

^^ ...and live. :speechless:

BIG worm
10-31-2012, 03:22 PM

Mike Brown runs to work on the 405??? oh he gon get hit!