PDA

View Full Version : Early pick for MIP?

JasonJohnHorn
10-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Are there any players you guys are expecting to make a big jump this season? Obviously Harden has some potential here since he will likely go from being the thrid option to the first, and his scoring average may jump as high as six or seven points.

For me personally I'm going with another Rocket; Asik. He's put up some impressive per-36 minute stats in the past in limited minutes, and rebounded VERY well in the pre-season with only 20 minutes per game. Considering the Rockets are paying him close to 10 million this year, I expect McHale to give him a lot of minutes despite his offensive ineptitude, and I expect his rebounding numbers to skyrocket. And with Pekovic improving and Howard finally having a front court partner that can rebound the ball, we may see a new rebounding champ this season.

So I'll go with Asik for my early pick. Who do you expect to make a big jump this year?

Swashcuff
10-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Well when it's before the season even starts everyone tends to go homer so I'll say Evan Turner. Though its a homer pick he's a solid pick nonetheless.

akia83
10-30-2012, 09:39 AM
The best Orlando's player not named Jameer Nelson.
Probably Davis, Vucevic or Afflalo.

theheatles
10-30-2012, 09:49 AM
JaVale McGee, he's going to go from laughing stock to elite center

JasonJohnHorn
10-30-2012, 09:50 AM
The best Orlando's player not named Jameer Nelson.
Probably Davis, Vucevic or Afflalo.

I'mnot a "big" Davis fan (pun intended!), but there will be a lot asked of him this year. It is very possible that Orlando will once again be the home of the MIP award since they have so many players who have played small roles in the past and will be asked to step up and contribute more this season, now that they've lost Howard and Anderson. It's just a question of whether or not everybody is going to throw in a little, or if one person will put in a lot.

Interesting pick.

alexander_37
10-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Patrick Patterson.

ManRam
10-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Baby will put up big numbers. Wouldn't be shocked if he put up 17 plus shots a game, and that's a HUGE increase from last year.

Last year Anderson won it without actually being any "better". He just got more minutes. Baby could do the same. Except, Baby was pretty awful last year, so there is room to improve more than just PPG/RPG. I don't think 17/8 is out of the realm of possibility for him. He's going to be a black hole down there.

But yeah, there's a good shot someone on Orlando could win it. A lot of players, besides Jameer and Hedo, will be getting more minutes and will have more expected of them than ever before.

mightybosstone
10-30-2012, 10:12 AM
I love the Omer Asik pick and think he's got a damn good shot to win this thing if he can stay out of foul trouble. He's my pick to lead the league in rebounding, and with pick and roll monsters like Harden and Lin on the floor, he's going to get his fair share of offensive action. I also liked the mention of Turner, and I think Klay Thompson is going to have a very good shot.

dee279
10-30-2012, 10:45 AM
If Selby gets the OJ Mayo role, i could see him improving his non existent stats of last year.

Paul George should have a big step up in his game.

I like the other guys named to besides Asik. I dont see him staying out of foul trouble long enough.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-30-2012, 10:49 AM
wow Asik has a very very solid chance.

didnt even think about that. good choice.

Baller1
10-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Maynor.

Sixerlover
10-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Homer pick: Evan Turner. With Iguodala and Lou Will gone, Turner will receive the ballhandling opportunities when Jrue isn't on the court. He will also see big minutes because someone needs to play that role. I think (hope more than think) he'll step up his play and jump onto the national radar.

mightybosstone
10-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Maynor.

I'm assuming that's a homer pick, but I honestly don't see a chance in hell of this happening. He's playing on a depth chart behind one of the 10 best players in the NBA and will be lucky to get 15 minutes per game. You can't win MIP with 15 minutes a night.

Nick O
10-30-2012, 12:25 PM
maybe Kemba walker... Not hard to improve that FG % O.o .. yikes,, and im sure he'l get the playing time to improve on that crap team

GunFactor187
10-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Brandon Knight. :D

StarvingKnick22
10-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Rasheed Wallace. He is playing, and he didnt last season. Moral Improvement Player i guess :shrug:

PleaseBeNice
10-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Look at my sig

Hawkeye15
10-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Asik has a great shot imo, because I think he ends up top 5 in RPG, and BPG.

FOBolous
10-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Asik if he averages over 10 rebounds and close to 10 points a game. or James Harden if he goes from average 16 ppg to around 25 ppg.

Mr. LA
10-30-2012, 03:08 PM
someone in the Rockets starting lineup ... they seem to be the popular choice

Lin
Harden
Parsons
Patterson
Asik

FOBolous
10-30-2012, 03:14 PM
someone in the Rockets starting lineup ... they seem to be the popular choice

Lin
Harden
Parsons
Patterson
Asik

yea cause the Rockets gambled a lot on potential this season. if any of these gambles work out, they all have a chance to become the MIP.

Hawkeye15
10-30-2012, 03:29 PM
truth is, we have no idea. I think Orlando may have a player who has the chance, seeing as they are all players that were not top players on their teams, and SOMEBODY needs to assume that 18-19 ppg role for instance.

JiffyMix88
10-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Byron Mullins

Twins Fanatic
10-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Brandon Roy

LaLa_Land
10-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Byron mullens is a sneaky pick. He shoots three's now and the guy is 7'1'', had a very good preseason...might turn the corner.

WhiteSoxGod
10-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Donatas Motiejunas

monster_mash
10-30-2012, 04:39 PM
paul george, mullens, turner from whats already been mentioned. tristan thompson is mine. 10p 7r starting at center last season..if he gets 30 min a game watch out

Lucky.
10-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Jeff Green

douglas
10-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Jeff Green

Jeff Green is a good choice because last season he was so insignificant it was as if he didn't even play. He didn't even register anything in any statistical category. Getting any sort of statistic this season would be a 100% improvement in comparison to last season.

KKell2507
10-30-2012, 05:18 PM
I like Evan Turner as a good pick for MIP, but I like one of his teammates even more.

Jrue Holiday.

Jrue was the PG for Philly last year, but surrounded by a bunch of other ballhandlers and playmakers. This year, hes the only PG on the roster whose played a minute in the NBA, literally. The Sixers have two players even close to PG status, Jrue and Maalik Wayns(an undrafted, albeit impressive looking, rookie). Because of this Jrue may be Top 5 in the NBA in minutes played.

Jrue will be the primary and almost only playmaker on a team suddenly surrounded by lots of shooters(Nick Young, Dorrell Wright, Jason Richardson). Not to mention a low post presence hes never had before in Bynum(whenever he finally decides to suit up).

Jrue's 2011-2012 stats: 33.8min, 13.5pts, 3.3reb, 4.5asts, 1.6stls
What he could do this season?
Jrue's 2012-2013 stats: 37.9min, 17.1pts, 3.1reb, 7.8asts, 1.9stls

Those numbers to me make him a borderline All Star on a Top 6 team in the East. And remember hes still only 22 years old.

monster_mash
10-30-2012, 05:22 PM
most improved player...not most improved heart

JasonJohnHorn
10-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Jeff Green is a good choice because last season he was so insignificant it was as if he didn't even play. He didn't even register anything in any statistical category. Getting any sort of statistic this season would be a 100% improvement in comparison to last season.

The first part of this post was very insightful. The second, while correct in spirit has a flaw. As you noted, he registered nothing in any statistical catagoery last season, so anything might be an improvement. However, it won't be a 100% improvement. Since he posted, for example, zero points last season, and 100% of zero is zero. His improvement could potentially be far greater.

On the flip side, the inverse could be said. While he never missed a single shot last season, this season, he will miss a great deal many more than he missed last season. That could be seen as a regression. He also didn't commit any fouls last season, nor did he commit any turnovers, and I expect him to regress in both catagories this upcoming season.

JasonJohnHorn
10-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Byron Mullins

Great pic! He's got the potential to jsut go off this season, and he's on a bad enough team that he might get a lot of shots and minutes.

But then Jordan will just reward him with a rediculous contract.

Minimal
10-30-2012, 05:31 PM
If I had to put my money on someone, I would put it on James Harden. His production numbers will explode on the Rockets.
Other guys who can surprise: Jrue Holiday, Michael Beasley, Evan Turner, Goran Dragic and Omer Asik.

douglas
10-30-2012, 05:48 PM
The first part of this post was very insightful. The second, while correct in spirit has a flaw. As you noted, he registered nothing in any statistical catagoery last season, so anything might be an improvement. However, it won't be a 100% improvement. Since he posted, for example, zero points last season, and 100% of zero is zero. His improvement could potentially be far greater.

On the flip side, the inverse could be said. While he never missed a single shot last season, this season, he will miss a great deal many more than he missed last season. That could be seen as a regression. He also didn't commit any fouls last season, nor did he commit any turnovers, and I expect him to regress in both catagories this upcoming season.

This is true. I apologize. Any sort of registration in statistical categories such as points, rebounds, etc. will actually be an infinite amount of improvement. Which is arguably better than a 100% improvement.

As for the negative statistical categories such as fouls committed, turnovers, etc., if Jeff Green were to register a statistic in these categores, it would actually be an infinite amount of regression in those categories. So now it is up to Jeff Green to register more positive statistics than negative statistics. If Jeff Green does this, he will have a net positive improvement from last season. If this occurs, I believe he has an opportunity to win the award of Most Improved Player of the NBA 2012.

69centers
10-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Nikola Pekovic

Corey
10-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Jeff Green!

futureman
10-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Enes Kanter

Phenomenonsense
10-31-2012, 03:11 PM
I don't understand this award. Going from a small number of minutes per game to a large number while seeing production increase shouldn't be rewarded. It should be expected. If you are getting many more minutes you should be doing more on the court. Going from, 9 or so points to 15 or so points per game on a similar number of minutes is far more indicative of improvement in the player.