PDA

View Full Version : With OKC stacked at PG do you see Westbrook moving to SG?

waveycrockett
10-29-2012, 02:18 PM
So currently the Thunder have a top-5 GUARD in Russell Westbrook problem is that often times he looks more like the shooting type than the point they need. With Harden's departure it opens up a spot that maybe fits Westbrooks skillset the best. Behind him they have 2nd year man Reggie Jackson, who was too raw to contribute on a contender last year and dealt with some injuries but he is chalk full of talent. There is also Eric Maynor who is returning and was one of the best young Backup PG's in the NBA before he went down.

Do you think this is the right time d to slide Wesbrook over to SG?

dnewguy
10-29-2012, 02:21 PM
I think Westbrook should be shooting guard...I was surprised their coach did not make that adjustment during the finals. With Westbrook at SG and someone else at PG, it will increase Durant's usage and the team will be a whole lot better.

Swashcuff
10-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Well they are also stacked at the SG with even better players off the bench so no. He is capable of doing so however so I wont rule it out in the future. We also shouldn't forget that Westbrook can pass. He had a down year in terms of assists last season but I don't expect that to remain the same next.

Hawkeye15
10-29-2012, 02:25 PM
nope. Sefalosha to start, Martin/Lamb off the bench.

dnewguy
10-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Well they are also stacked at the SG with even better players off the bench so no. He is capable of doing so however so I wont rule it out in the future. We also shouldn't forget that Westbrook can pass. He had a down year in terms of assists last season but I don't expect that to remain the same next.

YES, Westbrook can pass but does he? They need a pg not because Westbrook sucks at it but because Durant suffers as a consequence.

waveycrockett
10-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Reggie Jackson can be a monster. I think if they take the leash off him this season the sky is the limit. He might just be every bit the athlete that Westbrook is

knicks=love
10-29-2012, 02:31 PM
so then what happens to thabo, lamb and martin? :facepalm:

Baller1
10-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Won't happen.

KnicksorBust
10-29-2012, 02:32 PM
nope. Sefalosha to start, Martin/Lamb off the bench.

End of thread. I can't seriously imagine cutting into the minutes of these 3 players for Reggie Jackson.

Baller1
10-29-2012, 02:34 PM
End of thread. I can't seriously imagine cutting into the minutes of these 3 players for Reggie Jackson.

Reggie is actually looking like he can become quite a player.

But you're definitely right, no sense even considering moving Westbrook.

Byronicle
10-29-2012, 02:34 PM
if durant and westbrook improve their playmaking skills, it will definitely compensate for harden's departure

waveycrockett
10-29-2012, 02:37 PM
The other 3 guys are solid/decent NBA players. Reggie Jackson can be a STUD

knicks=love
10-29-2012, 02:39 PM

key words. "can be" isn't a good enough argument as to why they should move westbrook, like you said, a top 5 guard in the league just so someone else can step up.

KnicksorBust
10-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Reggie is actually looking like he can become quite a player.

But you're definitely right, no sense even considering moving Westbrook.

You're my resident Thunder expert. Humor me. How would you split minutes with that 1-2-3 rotation?

Well apparently Jeremy Lamb is the GOAT and Martin is a wash with Harden. Unless you feel like you want to bench one of the best perimeter defenders in the league, I don't see where these minutes come from. I suppose Maynor is pushed out of the rotation?

waveycrockett
10-29-2012, 02:42 PM
key words. "can be" isn't a good enough argument as to why they should move westbrook, like you said, a top 5 guard in the league just so someone else can step up.

I said Guard and not POINT guard purposely. Wesbrook is a square peg in a round hole at PG. And at this point having someone else step up is exactly what the thunder need to replace an allstar like Harden.

Baller1
10-29-2012, 02:44 PM
You're my resident Thunder expert. Humor me. How would you split minutes with that 1-2-3 rotation?

Well apparently Jeremy Lamb is the GOAT and Martin is a wash with Harden. Unless you feel like you want to bench one of the best perimeter defenders in the league, I don't see where these minutes come from. I suppose Maynor is pushed out of the rotation?

PG:
Westbrook - 30
Maynor - 15
Jackson - 3

SG:
Sefalosha - 18
Martin - 25
Westbrook - 5

SF:
Durant - 36
Sefalosha/Martin/PJ3 - 12

That's completely off the top of my head, and probably not a very good one... But whatever, I'd have it something like that.

knicks=love
10-29-2012, 02:45 PM
I said Guard and not POINT guard purposely. Wesbrook is a square peg in a round hole at PG. And at this point having someone else step up is exactly what the thunder need to replace an allstar like Harden.

i didn't say that you said he was a point guard. but you never answered anyone questions when asked what are they going to do with thabo (top 5 perimeter defender in the league), lamb who played well in the preseason, and martin?

ManRam
10-29-2012, 02:50 PM
No.

We need to start learning to get over traditional positional standards. Yes, he's not a "true point guard" like a John Stockton, but we need to stop acting like teams need that. They were the second best offensive team in the NBA last year (#2 in ORtg and eFG%). Why mess with that?

Today, for most offenses, a point guard just needs to be able to bring the ball up the court without turning it over before doing so. Westbrook is fine playing the 1 for the Oklahoma City Thunder...case closed.

The notion that good offenses need this stereotypical pass-first PG is the most archaic thought process in sports.

203 Uconn LaL
10-29-2012, 02:53 PM
He should but I doubt it, I think that's the reason they passed on Rubio and picked Harden in the first place

KnicksorBust
10-29-2012, 03:00 PM
PG:
Westbrook - 30
Maynor - 15
Jackson - 3

SG:
Sefalosha - 18
Martin - 25
Westbrook - 5

SF:
Durant - 36
Sefalosha/Martin/PJ3 - 12

That's completely off the top of my head, and probably not a very good one... But whatever, I'd have it something like that.

You think he's "quite a player." WC thinks he can be a future stud. Isn't 3 minutes a game an insult? :)

KnickaBocka.44
10-29-2012, 03:00 PM
If it ain't broke, dont fix it.

I'm sure they will experiment with different lineups throughout the course of games but starting lineup should remain the same. That was another good part about the trade for OKC, no need to alter the chemistry of the starting lineup to accomodate a new player.

shep33
10-29-2012, 03:01 PM
No. You need to start Thabo then bring Martin off the bench. How are they stacked at pg? Westbrook and Maynor (coming off a serious knee injury).

Anyways, having Russy guard bigger SG's isn't fair to him.

KnickaBocka.44
10-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Its also important to remember that Martin is pretty injury prone. If he goes down then I would expect Lamb to get a small bump up in minutes, but they would probably mostly be absorbed by Westbrook moving over to the 2 which allows more time for Jackson/Maynor.

Dade County
10-29-2012, 03:15 PM
22 games in, OKC will change to this line-up

Manor
Wild Wild West
Sefalosha
KD
Ibaka or Perkins

When OKC has to play a team, that has to much Size & Skill at the 4 & 5 spot, then Sefalosha heads to the bench and Both Ibaka & Perkins start again... But if the opposing team only has size but really not athletic, then OKC stays with the starting lineup I posted and KD rapes.

HEAT are going to play small ball, and I think their average margin of victory (on the year), will be over 9pts per game.

I have a feeling OKC will do this, the positives out ways the negatives (since they have the talent to pull this off)... They just have to preach team defense and team rebounding.

Dade County
10-29-2012, 03:19 PM
No. You need to start Thabo then bring Martin off the bench. How are they stacked at pg? Westbrook and Maynor (coming off a serious knee injury).

Anyways, having Russy guard bigger SG's isn't fair to him.

You don't look at sports like that or should I say, you don't game plan like that.

Your opponent adapts to YOU! You impose your will on them! Thats what the HEAT are going to try to do this year, and I feel that OKC can pull this off too.

Ebbs
10-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Yea OP is confused

Westbrook/Maynor
Thabo/Martin/Lamb

Baller1
10-29-2012, 03:26 PM
You think he's "quite a player." WC thinks he can be a future stud. Isn't 3 minutes a game an insult? :)

That's why I said you were right in the above post... There's no room for Jackson, that doesn't make him a bad player though.

I think OKC is looking good at PG for a long time with Westbrook and either Maynor or Jackson backing him up. I'll be happy with either of them, but I prefer Maynor.

Baller1
10-29-2012, 03:28 PM
22 games in, OKC will change to this line-up

Manor
Wild Wild West
Sefalosha
KD
Ibaka or Perkins

When OKC has to play a team, that has to much Size & Skill at the 4 & 5 spot, then Sefalosha heads to the bench and Both Ibaka & Perkins start again... But if the opposing team only has size but really not athletic, then OKC stays with the starting lineup I posted and KD rapes.

HEAT are going to play small ball, and I think their average margin of victory (on the year), will be over 9pts per game.

I have a feeling OKC will do this, the positives out ways the negatives (since they have the talent to pull this off)... They just have to preach team defense and team rebounding.

That will not happen. Westbrook is a PG, Sef is a SG, Durant is a SF, and Ibaka is a PF... Why on earth would they put every single starter at a position they shouldn't be at?

Dade County
10-29-2012, 03:38 PM
That will not happen. Westbrook is a PG, Sef is a SG, Durant is a SF, and Ibaka is a PF... Why on earth would they put every single starter at a position they shouldn't be at?

Position-Less Basketball... Get with the New School Pimp'in.

Two players starting that can run your offense, the other two can guard 2,3, and 4ers.

KD like Lbj makes this work for them, and make them un-guardable on offense. (I am not trying o say the KD can do everything that Lbj can)

I am calling it right now... 22games in, they will switch to this philosophy, book IT!

KnickaBocka.44
10-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Heat fans love bringing up this "positionless basketball" like they are the ones who thought of it.

Truth be told, they have to play this way because they can't find a decent center to sign for the league min.

mightybosstone
10-29-2012, 03:52 PM
No.

We need to start learning to get over traditional positional standards. Yes, he's not a "true point guard" like a John Stockton, but we need to stop acting like teams need that. They were the second best offensive team in the NBA last year (#2 in ORtg and eFG%). Why mess with that?

Today, for most offenses, a point guard just needs to be able to bring the ball up the court without turning it over before doing so. Westbrook is fine playing the 1 for the Oklahoma City Thunder...case closed.

The notion that good offenses need this stereotypical pass-first PG is the most archaic thought process in sports.

This. The two best teams in the NBA last season were two teams without traditional players at traditional positions. If there is a player on your team capable of running the offense, it doesn't matter really matter what his position is. I don't care where you put Westy on offense and neither should the Thunder. They just need to make sure they're maximizing their offensive and defensive potential to get the five best guys on the floor for each situation.

Since OKC has Thabo and Martin at SG, Westy should continue to play point. It's not as if they struggled with him playing the position last season, and it's not as if they have some young stud PG sitting behind him on the depth chart.

Alayla
10-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Westbrook is getting disrespected Hardcore on this forum its embarrassing we are talking about the 3rd best PG in the NBA here.
just because hes scoring alot of points doesn't make him a SG if anything his scoring is what makes him so dangerous as a point. is much easyer to set up someone else if you can get your own Just because he plays with durant doesn't mean he should have 11 assist and only like 12 points a night if anything with Harden gone its even more critical he scores because if he isn't a threat Marten will have a much harder time getting shots

Alayla
10-29-2012, 03:59 PM

No... just no

Gritz
10-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Stacked? Lol

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-29-2012, 04:07 PM
no.
he will continue playing point, however, dont be surprised if u see him at the 2 through a few rotation mixes.

tapajafri
10-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Haha.... everyone's acting like OKC traded their way in the lottery.

Attention people: Kevin Martin is a really good player. He averaged 17 points last year while missing half of the season. He averaged 23 points and missed only 2 games the year before. I'm not saying he will score that much with Durant/Westbrook there, but the dude can ball. And I'm not saying he's better than Harden or OKC is better with Martin or anything like that, but people are acting like OKC got nothing in return... They got a pretty damn good play in Martin. Westbrook should stay at PG and let Kevin Martin, a solid player, play SG.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Haha.... everyone's acting like OKC traded their way in the lottery.

Attention people: Kevin Martin is a really good player. He averaged 17 points last year while missing half of the season. He averaged 23 points and missed only 2 games the year before. I'm not saying he will score that much with Durant/Westbrook there, but the dude can ball. And I'm not saying he's better than Harden or OKC is better with Martin or anything like that, but people are acting like OKC got nothing in return... They got a pretty damn good play in Martin. Westbrook should stay at PG and let Kevin Martin, a solid player, play SG.

i agree to a certain extent.

k-mart is lights out from 3, and hes not shy to shoot beyond the arc. last year almost half of his total fg attemps were from 3, and the year before 1/3.

lol with okc dude will be chuckin away, and hes a good 3 point shooter, so i expect good production, not 6th man of the year production, but still good enough for the thunder to still be 1st in the WC, imo.

waveycrockett
10-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Stacked? Lol

Westbrook-Elite Combo Guard
Maynor-Borderline Starter/excellent backup
Reggie Jackson-Young Stud talent

If thats not stacked to you then you must not watch basketball much.

dtmagnet
10-29-2012, 04:12 PM
No, Westbrook is a perfectly capable point guard.

Dade County
10-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Heat fans love bringing up this "positionless basketball" like they are the ones who thought of it.

Of course the HEAT didn't invent this style of play or term.

Truth be told, they have to play this way because they can't find a decent center to sign for the league min.

So true... But this can also be a blessing in disguise.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-29-2012, 04:16 PM

i think its safe to say pj3 and lamb have better potential than jackson, so i dont see westbrook moving to the 2 because they would want to give playing time to pj3, lamb while also keepin durant in the game..

it would be interesting to see their rotation mixes.

god cant wait for this season to start tomorrow!!!

waveycrockett
10-29-2012, 04:19 PM
i think its safe to say pj3 and lamb have better potential than jackson, so i dont see westbrook moving to the 2 because they would want to give playing time to pj3, lamb while also keepin durant in the game..

it would be interesting to see their rotation mixes.

god cant wait for this season to start tomorrow!!!

What does Perry Jones have to do with their guard situation and Lamb's potential is not greater than Jackson. Reggie is a physical specimen for PG.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-29-2012, 04:21 PM
What does Perry Jones have to do with their guard situation and Lamb's potential is not greater than Jackson. Reggie is a physical specimen for PG.

well i expect pj3 to play the 2 for a few mins while westbrook/maynor, durant, ibaka, collison/perkins share the floor.

who knows, and idk from what ive read about lamb, it seems that he has very good potential...

KnickaBocka.44
10-29-2012, 04:22 PM
well i expect pj3 to play the 2 for a few mins while westbrook/maynor, durant, ibaka, collison/perkins share the floor.

who knows, and idk from what ive read about lamb, it seems that he has very good potential...

PJ3 is not a 2 guard by any stretch. It's debatable whether he can really play the 3 or not.

pebloemer
10-29-2012, 04:22 PM

Better fit for Russell?

PG: Eric Maynor, Reggie Jackson

SG: Kevin Martin, Thabo Seflolosha, Jeremy Lamb

Much more minutes to be had at PG than at SG. I do not understand your argument at all. Especially considering how potent OKC's offense has been with Westbrook at the point.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-29-2012, 04:34 PM
PJ3 is not a 2 guard by any stretch. It's debatable whether he can really play the 3 or not.

wow this is the first time i heard this.

he has the versatility and athleticism to play the 2.

for more info read this: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1387225-perry-jones-iii-thunder-sf-made-parting-with-james-harden-possible

obv hes not a sg, but he will get playing time at the 2, as well as the 3 when the thunder go small ball.

KnickaBocka.44
10-29-2012, 04:40 PM
wow this is the first time i heard this.

he has the versatility and athleticism to play the 2.

for more info read this: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1387225-perry-jones-iii-thunder-sf-made-parting-with-james-harden-possible

obv hes not a sg, but he will get playing time at the 2, as well as the 3 when the thunder go small ball.

bleacher report? Really? It doesn't say anything in that article about him playing the 2 anyway. It says that he could help replace Harden's production off the bench.

Dude is 6'10''-6'11'' he is more of a power forward than a small forward, and definitely not a 2 guard.

KnickaBocka.44
10-29-2012, 04:43 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/player/hollinger/_/id/6598/perry-jones-iii

His college stats said he was a second-rounder, but Oklahoma City took a gamble on his potential late in the first. At his size, his NBA future is almost certainly at the 4, and he may become an extremely effective stretch 4 in time. If it works out he fits a glaring need for the Thunder, but he needs to play with much more intensity than he showed in college.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-29-2012, 04:52 PM
yes bleacher report lol why are people so tied down to traditional positions?
his nba future will def see him at the 4, but for now, he has the versatility and athletic ability to play the 2 for a few solid mins.

id def give him mins over reggie jackson if push came to shove..

YoungOne
10-29-2012, 04:53 PM
I wouldnt call that "stacked" they are much better at SG: martin/lamb/sefolosha

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-29-2012, 04:53 PM
I would be seriously surprised if he plays the 4 with Ibaka, and Durant playing valuable mins at the 4.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-29-2012, 04:54 PM
bleacher report? Really? It doesn't say anything in that article about him playing the 2 anyway. It says that he could help replace Harden's production off the bench.

Dude is 6'10''-6'11'' he is more of a power forward than a small forward, and definitely not a 2 guard.

...Paul George is rumored to be 6 10, and the dude plays the 2 just fine...

97NYer
10-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Westy/Maynor/Jackson
Sef/Martin/Lamb

That's most likely what it will look like, but for spacing purposes I think Martin should start, and I also think Lamb and Jackson need to play for their development.

KnickaBocka.44
10-29-2012, 05:03 PM
I would be seriously surprised if he plays the 4 with Ibaka, and Durant playing valuable mins at the 4.

...Paul George is rumored to be 6 10, and the dude plays the 2 just fine...

Just stop. PJ3 isn't playing the 2. They have Sefolosha, Martin, Lamb and Westbrook who can all play the 2. Jones may get some run at the 3 but that's the extent of it. He is primarily a 4.

Ibaka can slide to the 5 if they want to play pj3 with him and Durant at the 3.

THE MTL
10-29-2012, 05:06 PM
I hate how ppl criticize Westbrook for not being a true PG. Look at the Thunder's record. Were they NOT tied for the 2nd best record in the league? Did they not beat the Spurs 4 games in a row to advance to the Finals?

OBVIOUSLY, Westbrook at PG has been working for them. So if it aint broke, dont try to fix it.

NoahH
10-29-2012, 05:11 PM
No. It creates a logjam at SG and that would be a super small backcourt

LaLa_Land
10-29-2012, 05:20 PM
This isn't as far fetched as some of you guys are making it seem.

People forget that they are getting eric maynor back, who IMO can start and be very productive for the majority of the teams in the league. If they went with this rotation, i think they'd have a more natural flow, rather than watching westbrook jack up shots:

maynor
westbrook
durant
ibaka
perkins

bench mob:

jackson/lamb
martin/sefolosha/lamb
sefolosha/PJ
Collison/PJ
ibaka/perkins/collison

LaLa_Land
10-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Just stop. PJ3 isn't playing the 2. They have Sefolosha, Martin, Lamb and Westbrook who can all play the 2. Jones may get some run at the 3 but that's the extent of it. He is primarily a 4.

Ibaka can slide to the 5 if they want to play pj3 with him and Durant at the 3.

I agree. They aren't going to be relying heavily on PJ3 anyways.

JasonJohnHorn
10-29-2012, 07:34 PM
We saw Wade do this after a couple seasons. Like Wade, Westbrook would be a little smaller than many SG, but Wade has played at an elite level at that position, and Westbrook has the talent to do so as well. For me, as a coach, I would want to put my best players on the floor and frankly, I think Westbrook and Martin (and perhaps Lamb, though we've yet to see him play) would be great playing on the floor together.

It's an idea though.

LAcowBOMBER
10-29-2012, 07:45 PM
No.

This post should have stopped the thread

Corey
10-29-2012, 07:49 PM

PJ3 as a SG is laughable. 3/4 like Jeff Green.

Baller1
10-29-2012, 07:53 PM
If it were up to me, an ideal situation would be trading Kevin Martin for a top Center. Then I'd slide Westbrook to SG and have Maynor start.

Hypothetical dream scenario:
Maynor/Jackson
Westbrook/Thabo
Durant/PJ3
Ibaka/Collison
Horford/Thabeet

I think Martin could net someone of Horford's value in this league, but not straight up of course. Just some random thoughts.

JordansBulls
10-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Hell no they already have a guy who leads the league in scoring, they don't need another guy who focuses on scoring on worse efficiency on the team.