PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Tim Lincecum will be traded this off season???

Ty Fast
10-29-2012, 01:34 PM
And if you say yes what do you think it will take to get him? I would love to see the Braves go after him. Giants already have Cain, Vogelsong, Zito, and Bumgarner so they are stacked at SP and could use Lincecum to get some help else where.

rcs15
10-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Almost no chance.

And the Giants aren't stacked at starters. At least not depth wise, which is why Lincecum won't be moved. There's nothing behind him ready to take over.

natsbats
10-29-2012, 01:40 PM
No, one bad year doesn't mean you give up on him. He will figure it out and get back to his usual self, IMO.

GottaBelieve
10-29-2012, 01:47 PM
This team will be able to compete for the World Series every year for at least another 3-4 with the pitching staff as presently constituted.

It's tempting to think about what you can get for the guy now, but I'd rather see a team go for it each year they have a chance.

Pitching staffs like this one don't come along all that often.

miller74
10-29-2012, 01:48 PM
They won the world series with him in the bullpen, sure he was important but hes making 22mil next year to be a back end starter or long reliever???
If they can get a decent bat they definitely consider it

Jeffy25
10-29-2012, 01:49 PM
No. I don't think he will be traded

Vintage
10-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Bochy already said the Giants plan to use Lincecum in their rotation next year.

He carried their bullpen and he will bounce back to form, just had an off year.

miller74
10-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Bochy already said the Giants plan to use Lincecum in their rotation next year.

He carried their bullpen and he will bounce back to form, just had an off year.

Willing to bet 22mil on that??

Im not saying he will be traded, but its definitely a possibility

2-0-Niner
10-29-2012, 02:02 PM
I would keep Him, you don't want another Pedro Martinez scenario here
Lincecum will figure it out or seems to have figured it out. I see Him signing for 5 years-100 IF he can get back to form next year. Zito will be off the books next year. I also wouldn't mind signing Zero for cheap to be our Fifth starter. We are saying the poorman's version of Maddox, smoltz and glavine and they keep improving every year.

I would say no on trading Lincecum.

2-0-Niner
10-29-2012, 02:03 PM
I mean Zito phone autocorrect

Vintage
10-29-2012, 02:18 PM
You win with pitching and in a playoff series having Cain, Vogelsong, Lincecum, Bumgarner, and Zito going you can defeat anyone regardless of whose on offense. Lincecum stays.

SenorGato
10-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Entirely possible. That Red Sox trade from the summer made possibilities like this very real...That said, it doesn't really make sense for the Giants. They're unlikely to get someone back who makes trading him worthwhile, and does anyone actually believe he's a 5 ERA pitchers? All his DIPs ERAs are better...

I think he's a good idea for a team with the flexibility to take on his salary. I think there's still a high quality starter in there, even if his dominant CY runs are over.

Giants27
10-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Zero chance he gets traded,why would they trade him when his value is at its worst?
As for him returning in 14 when hes a free agent who knows...

raidersrock99
10-29-2012, 03:01 PM
No

lol, please
10-29-2012, 03:32 PM
And if you say yes what do you think it will take to get him? I would love to see the Braves go after him. Giants already have Cain, Vogelsong, Zito, and Bumgarner so they are stacked at SP and could use Lincecum to get some help else where.

For Stanton.

Rush
10-29-2012, 03:36 PM
They won the world series with him in the bullpen, sure he was important but hes making 22mil next year to be a back end starter or long reliever???
If they can get a decent bat they definitely consider it

Willing to bet 22mil on that??

Im not saying he will be traded, but its definitely a possibility

There's next to none chance he'll be traded unless someone comes up with an offer Sabean can't pass up. He's going to be back in the rotation once again. One bad year doesn't mean we should look for a replacement. And if they got a decent bat in return that'd be a ridiculous trade for the Giants.

ciaban
10-29-2012, 04:24 PM
This team will be able to compete for the World Series every year for at least another 3-4 with the pitching staff as presently constituted.

It's tempting to think about what you can get for the guy now, but I'd rather see a team go for it each year they have a chance.

Pitching staffs like this one don't come along all that often.

1)they can compete next year for sure, but after that it's up in the air, Timmy is going to be a free agent, if he bounces back he is gone, the giants are so paranoid about him getting hurt or loosing effectiveness that they wont offer anything more than 3 years, and probably 20 per, so if he bounces back you can expect him to be gone, because i doubt he takes half of what his market value would be, if he sucks, then it really doesn't matter he is a non-factor.

plus that's money that needs to be used to lock up Pence, Pagan, Pablo and Posey and i think the latter 2 will take at least 20 mill each unless they are willing to take under market value. Which isn't fair to be assumed.

also, voggelsong is going to be 36 next year, even if he pitches well, you have to wonder just how much he has left from age 37 on, and if he does pitch well you can expect that he will want more money from the giants than he is currently getting.

2) it's really not that tempting, his value is rock bottom.

3)it just did in Philly and it looks like Arizona will have something better in like 2 years.

SenorGato
10-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Good thing for the Giants:

Their bats are showing up as the pitching staff goes from awesome to solidly above average. Posey and Sandoval are two very good building blocks.

rcs15
10-29-2012, 04:46 PM
1)they can compete next year for sure, but after that it's up in the air, Timmy is going to be a free agent, if he bounces back he is gone, the giants are so paranoid about him getting hurt or loosing effectiveness that they wont offer anything more than 3 years, and probably 20 per, so if he bounces back you can expect him to be gone, because i doubt he takes half of what his market value would be, if he sucks, then it really doesn't matter he is a non-factor.

I think you are greatly overvaluing his market value. I can't envision many teams rushing to give him 5 or 6 years even if he bounces back.

If you claim the Giants are paranoid about that stuff, then why wouldn't other teams be?

After his August in 2010, and his entire 2012, I think he can now be labeled as too much of a risk to sink a long, long term contract into.

WOwolfOL
10-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Makes too much money to really get a good haul back pitching the way he has (although, aren't his problems pretty much the 1st inning?) but if he goes back to the CY Timmy, they should absolutely look at a deadline deal.

They could get a couple arms that will suffice to replace him and Vogelsong who can't have too many quality seasons left, 2-3 at most.

JesusWears24
10-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Timmy and Blanco for Ellsbury and Bucholz

Halladay
10-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Zero chance he gets traded,why would they trade him when his value is at its worst?
As for him returning in 14 when hes a free agent who knows...

There's a chance it may never get any better either. You have a good example of a guy on your team...Barry Zito.

ciaban
10-29-2012, 06:18 PM
I think you are greatly overvaluing his market value. I can't envision many teams rushing to give him 5 or 6 years even if he bounces back.

If you claim the Giants are paranoid about that stuff, then why wouldn't other teams be?

After his August in 2010, and his entire 2012, I think he can now be labeled as too much of a risk to sink a long, long term contract into.
i never said 6 years, but i think 5 years is realistic.

this year was really bad, but if he bounces back and puts up 2011 numbers, then i don't see why he couldn't get a 5 year deal, people are looking at Kyle Loosh to get CJ Wilson money, part of it is his value compared to the market. If he is the best pitcher available i don't see why he couldn't get 100 to 120 mill over 5 years. There is always a team willing to do something stupid. but that's assuming he bounces back.

Farsight
10-29-2012, 08:50 PM
As a jays fan, i would like to have Lincecum, but he is a potential rental player as he has a year left on his contract. Moreover, 20 million a year is pretty hefty, especially for a player who's peripherals have been trending downward recently. I Honestly have no idea how the market perceives him, so i cant really say "id offer play A for Lincecum"

UPRock
10-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Nope, he's going to stay and be in the rotation again next year. He's going to be better next year IMO.

Public Enemy #1
10-29-2012, 09:08 PM
He isn't going anywhere. Sabean already said... Granted you can't always trust management but there is no reason not to see how he performs in 2013. He has one bad year... Will not be traded.

Illa215
10-30-2012, 01:07 AM
They don't have much behind Cain and Bumgarner, so they really shouldn't. They wouldn't get anything for him anyway.

They need to sign a few cheap guys for the back end of the rotation. I wouldn't be worried about them taking care of those holes. If I were them I'd sign a #3 and a #5, and keep Vogelsong as their 4. Get rid of Zito somehow and move Lincecum to the pen. He's perfect coming out of the bullpen with his stuff, he's just a really bad starter now a days.

Illa215
10-30-2012, 01:13 AM
Both his Fip and BB/9 have increased substantially over the last 4 seasons. If he improves even a little bit in '13, the Giants should be shocked and grateful.

Rush
10-30-2012, 01:13 AM
They don't have much behind Cain and Bumgarner, so they really shouldn't. They wouldn't get anything for him anyway.

They need to sign a few cheap guys for the back end of the rotation. I wouldn't be worried about them taking care of those holes. If I were them I'd sign a #3 and a #5, and keep Vogelsong as their 4. Get rid of Zito somehow and move Lincecum to the pen. He's perfect coming out of the bullpen with his stuff, he's just a really bad starter now a days.

He's had one bad year and now they should move him to the bullpen? A guy can't have a bad year? If it continues next year then that'd be the right move for the team, but not yet.

Illa215
10-30-2012, 01:20 AM
He's had one bad year and now they should move him to the bullpen? A guy can't have a bad year? If it continues next year then that'd be the right move for the team, but not yet.

Read my above post. This isn't just one bad year. He's been going down hill rapidly the past 4 seasons.

Rush
10-30-2012, 01:24 AM
Read my above post. This isn't just one bad year. He's been going down hill rapidly the past 4 seasons.

I agree it's concerning, but you still gotta give him another year.

bfrap
10-30-2012, 01:40 AM
I highly doubt that he will be going anywhere... but I always say, NEVER say never.

If someone approaches them with a deal that makes sense, the Giants may move him. I don't see that happening though.

Illa215
10-30-2012, 01:48 AM
I agree it's concerning, but you still gotta give him another year.

I'd give him a month and see how he does. That's not bad at all. Keep him on a short leash.

If he starts out wild again, throw him in the bullpen. He was such a weapon last week, and if he can throw 6-10 good innings out of the pen a week, then he's more valuable then he would have been pitching in the rotation.

Orange&Black55
10-30-2012, 02:01 AM

Believe me, i've hated Zito pretty much since he got here, but he was 15-8 last year and won 2 huge games for us in the post season. Why would we get rid of him? not that we could even if we wanted too! lol.

ELGUAPO408
10-30-2012, 02:26 AM
Gotta get something for him while we still can idk my heart says no but my head says yeah

Greedy22
10-30-2012, 02:32 PM

plus that's money that needs to be used to lock up Pence, Pagan, Pablo and Posey and i think the latter 2 will take at least 20 mill each unless they are willing to take under market value. Which isn't fair to be assumed.

also, voggelsong is going to be 36 next year, even if he pitches well, you have to wonder just how much he has left from age 37 on, and if he does pitch well you can expect that he will want more money from the giants than he is currently getting.

2) it's really not that tempting, his value is rock bottom.

3)it just did in Philly and it looks like Arizona will have something better in like 2 years.

you know those short-term deals are what he wants and requests, right?

sf-fanatic
10-30-2012, 04:42 PM

Rapidly? You know the only reason why he's been going down is because he was so good in 2008 and 2009 that it would be difficult to replicate. He's had more than one bad year? Give me 2011 Lincecum and he's still an above average borderline all star pitcher.

Jeffy25
10-30-2012, 04:47 PM
1)they can compete next year for sure, but after that it's up in the air, Timmy is going to be a free agent, if he bounces back he is gone, the giants are so paranoid about him getting hurt or loosing effectiveness that they wont offer anything more than 3 years

He won't accept anything over 2 years.

The Giants have made him 5 and 6 year offers, but he is only accepting 2 year deals at a time.

Jeffy25
10-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Rapidly? You know the only reason why he's been going down is because he was so good in 2008 and 2009 that it would be difficult to replicate. He's had more than one bad year? Give me 2011 Lincecum and he's still an above average borderline all star pitcher.

2011 Lincecum is a near hall of fame caliber pitcher. Too many walks, but other than that...

It would be senseless for the Giants to give up on him. He has lost command, but it doesn't mean he can't find it again.

He has declined, but he was a 'freak' (get it?) his first two full seasons, that's going to be hard to replicate no matter what he does from this point forward.

He is still a solid middle of the rotation pitcher. I have been saying it literally for 3 years that his Cy Young days are probably over, but he will be a more than serviceable, solid, middle rotation pitcher for years to come....why? Because he knows how to pitch. Not just throw. He is a smart pitcher. Even when he loses command or velocity, he can still get through 6 innings. He is a good pitcher.

He isn't worth 22 million a year, but after this season, if I could have him on a 3/30 deal to be my number 4 pitcher, he would probably be worth it.

odiz
10-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Both his Fip and BB/9 have increased substantially over the last 4 seasons. If he improves even a little bit in '13, the Giants should be shocked and grateful.

His FIP was near identical in 2010 and 2011 and his BB/9 in 2011 wasnt far off his 2008 rate. Hes always been a pitcher that walks a lot of batters. He was still an elite pitcher in 2010 and 2011.

How many times have you seen a pitcher post a 5+ ERA and still strikeout more then a batter an inning? I really think this year was an anomaly.

EDIT: The answer to that is one other time since 1975. Ricky Nolasco in 2009 and look at his FIP that year, he was just really unlucky. Starting pitchers dont consistently miss bats with bad stuff.

He was dominant in the playoffs, his velocity was back up. I would be really surprised if he doesnt have a vast improvement next year.

Pinstripe pride
10-31-2012, 11:30 AM
no chance

todu82
10-31-2012, 11:56 AM
No. I think he'll have a bounce back season next year.

flea
10-31-2012, 12:01 PM
2011 Lincecum is a near hall of fame caliber pitcher. Too many walks, but other than that...

It would be senseless for the Giants to give up on him. He has lost command, but it doesn't mean he can't find it again.

He has declined, but he was a 'freak' (get it?) his first two full seasons, that's going to be hard to replicate no matter what he does from this point forward.

He is still a solid middle of the rotation pitcher. I have been saying it literally for 3 years that his Cy Young days are probably over, but he will be a more than serviceable, solid, middle rotation pitcher for years to come....why? Because he knows how to pitch. Not just throw. He is a smart pitcher. Even when he loses command or velocity, he can still get through 6 innings. He is a good pitcher.

He isn't worth 22 million a year, but after this season, if I could have him on a 3/30 deal to be my number 4 pitcher, he would probably be worth it.

I might agree with you if it weren't the case that he's still one of the best strikeout pitchers in the league and has had no real regression there. The only problems this season were an extra BB/9, almost doubled HR rate, and low LOB%. That screams mechanics when it's not paired with a reduction in stuff or strikeouts.

I think he's still got a few Cy Young caliber seasons in him - simply because only about 7 or 8 people other than him on this planet have the ability to strike guys out like he does over the course of a game.

RTL
10-31-2012, 12:14 PM

Never going to happen when the de la Rosa's of the world make $11 million/year. I expect Lincecum to pack on some pounds and have a good free agent year.

HowFit
10-31-2012, 12:42 PM
No, he will bounce back...

Jeffy25
10-31-2012, 01:41 PM
I might agree with you if it weren't the case that he's still one of the best strikeout pitchers in the league and has had no real regression there. The only problems this season were an extra BB/9, almost doubled HR rate, and low LOB%. That screams mechanics when it's not paired with a reduction in stuff or strikeouts.

I think he's still got a few Cy Young caliber seasons in him - simply because only about 7 or 8 people other than him on this planet have the ability to strike guys out like he does over the course of a game.

It isn't mechanics, is the first line that I said in that statement.

Command.

He isn't hitting his spots, it's been well illustrated and documented that he is missing the catchers spots like he never used to.

His mechanics didn't change, his release points, and velocity didn't change. Him hitting his spots did change.

The good news, is that a pitcher that loses this can also regain it.

flea
10-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Mechanics is what causes command problems more often than not.

gaughan333
10-31-2012, 04:15 PM
For Stanton.

ha?

ThunderRoad75
10-31-2012, 04:35 PM
trade him to the Royals for Alex Gordon

Jeffy25
10-31-2012, 05:11 PM
Mechanics is what causes command problems more often than not.

True, but his release points and velocity have been consistent.

odiz
10-31-2012, 05:19 PM
True, but his release points and velocity have been consistent.

His velocity has not been consistent. He lost 2 MPH on his average fastball this year and 3 MPH on his average slider. He seemed to have his velocity back in the playoffs though so who knows.

Jeffy25
10-31-2012, 05:20 PM
His velocity has not been consistent. He lost 2 MPH on his average fastball this year and 3 MPH on his average slider. He seemed to have his velocity back in the playoffs though so who knows.

And later on in the year too.

It was at it's low point in May IIRC (looked it up awhile back, didn't look it up again just now)

ciaban
10-31-2012, 06:26 PM

The Giants have made him 5 and 6 year offers, but he is only accepting 2 year deals at a time. could you provide some links please

maybe at this exact moment, and he probably doesn't want to get locked up because he knows how low his value is.

last off season the giants were negotiating with Timmy, he had 2 years of arbitration left, the giants wanted 5 years, aka his last 2 years of arbitration plus 3, which would take him to age 33, he wanted 7 years aka the last 2 years of arbitration plus 5, which would take him to age 35, neither would budge.

The giants might be willing to lock him up now because they could get him at a discount compared to what he was making,

further more, they are going to have to lock up pagan this offseason, posey and pablo in the future both will require 20 mill a year each, and maybe pence too, maybe also wilson, this is an ownership group that didn't want to trade for pence because it would raise payroll by 10 million, are they going to 5 players making 20 plus mill? They aren't the dodgers.

Jeffy25
10-31-2012, 06:30 PM
maybe at this exact moment, probably because he knows how low his value is,

No, over the last several off-seasons.

http://jon-heyman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/33714192/34519023

the team seems to be focusing on deals of two years or one with Lincecum after he rebuffed an offer of at least $100 million for five years.

That's last off-season

And this isn't the only time.

Lincecum has clearly stated he wants 2 year deals at a time.

ciaban
10-31-2012, 07:36 PM
jeffy your quoting john heymen? why not just go to bleacher report. lol

lol, please
10-31-2012, 07:38 PM

:laugh2: wow. I laughed out loud at this.

Every now and then a BR article makes it on PSD. That never gets old.

ciaban
10-31-2012, 07:46 PM
No, over the last several off-seasons.

http://jon-heyman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/33714192/34519023

That's last off-season

And this isn't the only time.

Lincecum has clearly stated he wants 2 year deals at a time.
i know last off season the giants tried to do a 5 year deal that is what i was saying,
i think timmy is set on hitting free agency, assuming he pitches well he would have made the most money he possibly could have,
allowing the giants to buy out his years of free agency would have cut into his total earnings later. It would have been safer but he is going for the gold, do you guys really think that (provided he bounces back) he will refuses anything over 2 years? That would be the most surprising thing i have ever seen and would be unprecedented,
I think up to this point he just didn't want to give sign away any of his free agent years.

Jeffy25
11-01-2012, 12:47 AM

Obviously Heyman isn't the best, but he is right more than he is wrong.

But yeah, if possible, I avoid Heyman

RTL
11-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Lincecum either wants a LOOOOOONG term deal like 8 years or wants very short term deals. There is no in between but after the season he just had, I think he will adjust his desires. All this is pretty much moot for right now.

miller74
11-01-2012, 10:22 AM
It isn't mechanics, is the first line that I said in that statement.

Command.

He isn't hitting his spots, it's been well illustrated and documented that he is missing the catchers spots like he never used to.

His mechanics didn't change, his release points, and velocity didn't change. Him hitting his spots did change.

The good news, is that a pitcher that loses this can also regain it.

Loss in command and velocity absolutely have to do with mechanics

Russollini
11-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Interesting Trade Idea......Yanks pickup a ton of ARod and send him there for Timmy. SF will not have the funds to hold the entire staff together. ARod could play third with Panda to First and Belt to the Outfield. ARod is still a top end 3B even if he is no longer a stud number one, however he will have problems in NY next year as he is heady. The Yanks would probably throw in a prospect pitcher as well, maybe DB or something. I thought of this when I saw TL coming out of the pen. It actually would work out for everyone. Good thing for the Yanks is if TL does not bounce back, he is a free agent the next year so their is no obligation for the infamous 2014.

RTL
11-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Interesting...and terrible trade idea.

GSRaider
11-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Never say never... There are always trade possibilities...

I absolutely love how Bochy used Timmy in the playoffs... And I expect Timmy to either have bounce back year or dominate in the rotation... Either way is good for SF...

And what could SF get for Timmy? Nothing groundbreaking after Timmy had a down year, that's for sure... And because of that, I tend to think he'll be wearing the Black and OJ

TheLoneWanderer
11-01-2012, 12:49 PM
I read somewhere that a Lincecum for Elllsbury trade seems possible.

leftymo
11-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Lincecum won't be traded. I won't say "never" but he just had one bad season. The post season proved his stuff is still electric. He also put up big K numbers in the reg season.

He lost weight and didn't prepare for season and it showed. Next year is a contract year for him, and he'll be back to form or close to it.

He'll also come prepared for the season.

Rush
11-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Interesting Trade Idea......Yanks pickup a ton of ARod and send him there for Timmy. SF will not have the funds to hold the entire staff together. ARod could play third with Panda to First and Belt to the Outfield. ARod is still a top end 3B even if he is no longer a stud number one, however he will have problems in NY next year as he is heady. The Yanks would probably throw in a prospect pitcher as well, maybe DB or something. I thought of this when I saw TL coming out of the pen. It actually would work out for everyone. Good thing for the Yanks is if TL does not bounce back, he is a free agent the next year so their is no obligation for the infamous 2014.

Why would the Giants do that? They have no one to replace Lincecum at the moment and aren't going to give up on Lincecum after one bad year. Pablo is a good defensive third baseman and Belt could be a Gold Glove defensive first basemen in the future. They shift two of their young core players for an aging and declining player by adding a lot of money, regardless of the money coming from NY and then will have to sign a starting pitcher. Wouldn't it be easier for the Giants just to sign a LF than do all of this? This makes absolutely no sense on the Giants end.

And I wouldn't consider A-Rod a "top end 3B" anymore. I'd rather have Beltre, Wright, Freese, Headley, Zimmerman, Aramis, Sandoval, Cabrera, Longoria, and I'm sure a few more over him.

lol, please
11-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Interesting...and terrible trade idea.
lol.

Why would the Giants do that? They have no one to replace Lincecum at the moment and aren't going to give up on Lincecum after one bad year. Pablo is a good defensive third baseman and Belt could be a Gold Glove defensive first basemen in the future. They shift two of their young core players for an aging and declining player by adding a lot of money, regardless of the money coming from NY and then will have to sign a starting pitcher. Wouldn't it be easier for the Giants just to sign a LF than do all of this? This makes absolutely no sense on the Giants end.

And I wouldn't consider A-Rod a "top end 3B" anymore. I'd rather have Beltre, Wright, Freese, Headley, Zimmerman, Aramis, Sandoval, Cabrera, Longoria, and I'm sure a few more over him.This.

Jeffy25
11-02-2012, 01:08 AM
I read somewhere that a Lincecum for Elllsbury trade seems possible.

I swear, sometimes people just throw darts at players names and say 'hey, that's a possibility'

shizzle09
11-02-2012, 01:42 AM
none chance

ciaban
11-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Lincecum either wants a LOOOOOONG term deal like 8 years or wants very short term deals. There is no in between but after the season he just had, I think he will adjust his desires. All this is pretty much moot for right now.
i don't think any pitcher hitting free agency would expect an 8 year contract, i think assuming he pitches well, he could get a 5 year deal maybe with an option for the 6 year.

Obviously Heyman isn't the best, but he is right more than he is wrong.

But yeah, if possible, I avoid Heyman

it's fine to look at him, some bleacher report articles are fun to look at, but i would never use them as the crux of my argument

Jeffy25
11-02-2012, 02:22 AM
i don't think any pitcher hitting free agency would expect an 8 year contract, i think assuming he pitches well, he could get a 5 year deal maybe with an option for the 6 year.

it's fine to look at him, some bleacher report articles are fun to look at, but i would never use them as the crux of my argument

He is far from the only person that reported that Lincecum turned down a 5 year offer.

He was just the first link I came across when I was going back through. And plenty of Giants fans have supported the argument in this thread since it was brought up.

He def turned down a 5 year, 100+ million offer from the Giants last off-season.

Rush
11-02-2012, 02:35 AM
That he did. It was either sign him for eight years or give him his two-year deal.

ciaban
11-02-2012, 04:22 AM
He is far from the only person that reported that Lincecum turned down a 5 year offer.

He was just the first link I came across when I was going back through. And plenty of Giants fans have supported the argument in this thread since it was brought up.

He def turned down a 5 year, 100+ million offer from the Giants last off-season.
if giants fans all said that Matt Cain is a pedophile would you believe them? They can be wrong too. While i am a dodgers fan, i live in and grew up here in the bay, most of my friends are either Giants or A's fans and i listen to knbr, so i know a lot about what goes on with this team.

yes because that would only pay him 20 a year, an at that point was below the market value he could have got in free agency, and as i have said time and time again, signing a 5 year extension with 2 years of arbitration remaining is the equivalent of signing a 3 year deal in free agency. That's why he turned it down, anyone who thinks he is only interested in short deals and wont accept any contract over 2 years if he pitches well in 2013 is delusional,

why wouldn't he? like why would he only accept 2 years $45M if someone was offering 5 years $110M? he isn't only interested in short deals.

That he did. It was either sign him for eight years or give him his two-year deal.
from what i remembered he wanted a 7 year deal, which would have bought out the last 2 years of his arbitration, and would have been the equivalent of getting a 5 year deal after hitting free agency, what the giants offered was bellow market value (only worth $20 mill a year.)and would have only taken him to age 32, the equivalent of a signing a 3 year deal after hitting free agency. that's why he turned it down,

if he pitches well in 2013, i don't see why he couldn't get a 5 year deal, netting 22-23 a year.

and regardless of if he wanted 7 or 8 years, during last off season, that is evidence that he is interested in contracts that are longer than 2 years, boom that is the perfect evidence that he doesn't want only short term deals!

StayOnBoard
11-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Will be completely dependent on the offer.... if someone comes up with a big package around some good minor leaguers, you have to think about it if your the Giants, especially with his down year and contract soon expiring. You can't extend him until you know he's ok - so it might be worth exploring a trade.

All that said, I don't think anyone is going to offer up anything for a guy who was pretty horrible last season. Its possible, but I think he stays.

Jeffy25
11-02-2012, 09:17 AM
if giants fans all said that Matt Cain is a pedophile would you believe them?

I stopped reading your response here because of the wildly ridiculous question that you started it off with.

That's not even on the same planet as what I said.

I did however, catch the bottom part of your post

and regardless of if he wanted 7 or 8 years, during last off season, that is evidence that he is interested in contracts that are longer than 2 years, boom that is the perfect evidence that he doesn't want only short term deals!

That isn't what was argued, and that isn't what anybody was discussing.

This all started when you said

the giants are so paranoid about him getting hurt or loosing effectiveness that they wont offer anything more than 3 years,

Which was disproved, and why this whole discussion was brought up. You said the Giants wouldn't offer him more than 3 years, and that's false.

RTL
11-02-2012, 09:22 AM
He's not exactly the brightest bulb on the tree

C-ross12
11-02-2012, 09:27 AM
I dont see any upside to trading Lincecum from the Gaints standpoint. Unless they feel confident that hes done for and want to save the money, which i seriously doubt is the case.

ciaban
11-03-2012, 02:50 AM
I stopped reading your response here because of the wildly ridiculous question that you started it off with.

That's not even on the same planet as what I said.

I did however, catch the bottom part of your post

That isn't what was argued, and that isn't what anybody was discussing.

The Giants have made him 5 and 6 year offers, but he is only accepting 2 year deals at a time.

This all started when you said

Which was disproved, and why this whole discussion was brought up. You said the Giants wouldn't offer him more than 3 years, and that's false.
if you stopped reading how would you catch the bottom part of the post, wouldn't you just move on to someone else's post, because you stopped reading?

NOW, after he imploded, untill he bounces back i don't see them offering him anything over 3 years, unless it was at a substantial pay reduction, like 5Y/15M no they will not, I was trying to point out that he wont take anything that short once he hits free agency, it was stated by two different people that he is only interested in short term deals, that's what i was arguing against, he isn't interested in only short term deals, during last off season Timmy and the Giants were trying to hammer out the 2 remaining years of his arbitration, they wouldn't go above 5 years aka a 3 years past arbitration, so he just decided to take 2 and hit free agency.

ciaban
11-03-2012, 02:59 AM
i don't think that even if Timmy pitches well the giants will offer a contract that goes beyond 2016, and i believe that because they haven't offered one yet.