PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan Cursed Out Charles Barkley For Calling Him a Bad Owner

spreadeagle
10-29-2012, 03:23 AM
If it’s one thing you’re guaranteed from Charles Barkley, its honesty. And if you want to know how Jordan feels about something expect no filter. Barkley let it be known his friend and former Dream Team teammate Michael Jordan wasn’t getting the job done as the owner of the Charlotte Bobcats. Of course Jordan didn’t like that and according to Barkley he let out a barrage of expletives. Barkley sat with ESPN Chicago’s Waddle and Silvy to discuss Jordan and more. Read more after the jump.

Shay Marie x Sabrina B.

In regards to Michael Jordan being a bad general manager, honest is honest right Charles?

“Honest is honest.”

Well how did Michael Jordan defend himself in that call?

“I thought my name was S.O.B and M.F., like damn, I couldn’t even say anything. I said, ‘Dude I can’t get on the radio and tell people you been doin’ a good job.’”

Did Michael Jordan try and defend himself on some of the moves? Or was he just relying on your friendship?

“He’s relying on our friendship and I said, ‘Dude, I love you, you one of my best friends, period. You been there for me, I been there for you but.’ I think he got mad; he surrounded himself with people. One of the really difficult things about being famous, all your friends, you’re paying all the bills, they’re flying around on your private jet, very few of your friends are ever gonna disagree with you. And I think that’s the thing he got most mad about, ’cause I mean his record speaks for itself and I wanna see Michael do well, but I think that was actually an example when he thinks you’re supposed to be with him no matter what. But dude, you gotta get better people to wear on you if you’re gonna be successful. … You gotta have friends around you who [are] not afraid to say, ‘Oh that guy can’t play.’ And we’re cool now.”

What if he said to you “Charles can you come be part of my management group and help me try to get things back on the right path?”

“I said, ‘Michael you can’t afford me.’”

Oh he could, he could afford anything?

“First of all, let me tell you something, Michael is as cheap as they come, trust me.”

Did you guys go through a rough patch after that or are you still as close as you’ve ever been?

“I think Michael’s one of those people, he has to calm down … because in the long run, I was right. He’s got to hire people around him to help him make better basketball decisions. Ya know, ’cause I wanna see Michael do well. Nobody wants to see Michael — I hate when I’m watching T.V. and guys are killing him, I hate that to be honest with you — but I wanna see him do well. Nobody wants to see Michael do well more than me.”

Everybody needs a friend like Charles Barkley, one that tells you the TRUTH cause everybody knows Jordan has way too many yes men around him.

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2012/10/25/charles-barkley-tiger-woods-michael-jordan-nba/

Ebbs
10-29-2012, 03:27 AM
Agreed. Les be hones; cats suck, have always sucked and need to start making better decisions in both the draft and FA

bootleg42
10-29-2012, 03:33 AM
Charles Barkley is the kind of friend Michael Jordan should be happy to have.

Barkley isn't going to let Jordan hear what he only wants to hear. He'll tell him his real opinion, and although I don't think Barkley would do any better in basketball decisions, he's right when he says that Michael has to keep himself away from "yes men".

jam
10-29-2012, 03:50 AM
MJ is just too far gone to listen to anyone. It doesn't matter really, he has so much corporate sponsorship he'll be fine until the end of the world. Which is just a couple of months away.

Aust
10-29-2012, 04:27 AM
He's been terrible, and until he proves otherwise, he'll continue to be terrible.

rocketfuel
10-29-2012, 04:51 AM
Barkely can be honest privately. I don't know how anyone can be friends with Barkely. the guy has no filter. Also, would you want your "best friend" to be revealing private conversations about you?

Everything he said about Jordan is true. Having the physical talent and ability is completely different than the business side/chess piece side of the business. While I agree with what Barkely said and even agree that Jordan needs to surround himself with better advisers.... I don't think he's really that great of a friend. You can do all of that "honset" talk privately and not reveal confidences.

Chavacano
10-29-2012, 06:04 AM
Truth hurts.

BALLER R
10-29-2012, 06:33 AM
But at the end of the day friends like these are the ones you appreciate the most.

YungDaSensai
10-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Imagine a conversation that consisted of Charles Barkley, Ozzie Guillen and Rex Ryan...... Lullz

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-29-2012, 10:06 AM
lol hes just mad cos barkley said lebron has the potential to be > mj

KnicksorBust
10-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Barkely can be honest privately. I don't know how anyone can be friends with Barkely. the guy has no filter. Also, would you want your "best friend" to be revealing private conversations about you?

Everything he said about Jordan is true. Having the physical talent and ability is completely different than the business side/chess piece side of the business. While I agree with what Barkely said and even agree that Jordan needs to surround himself with better advisers.... I don't think he's really that great of a friend. You can do all of that "honset" talk privately and not reveal confidences.

Barkley's job is to talk basketball. :laugh: How's he supposed to avoid knocking the worst franchise in the NBA?

KnicksorBust
10-29-2012, 11:18 AM
(2005) Sean May over Danny Granger
(2006) Adam Morrison over Brandon Roy/Rudy Gay
(2006) DJ Augustin over Brook Lopez
(2008) Alexis Ajinca over Serge Ibaka/Ryan Anderson
(2007) Brandon Wright over Joakim Noah

That's a rough patch. Kemba Walker isn't exactly looking like the next big thing either. Henderson is respectable but ouch. That's a swing and miss every year.

The goods
10-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Charles Barkley is the kind of friend Michael Jordan should be happy to have.

Barkley isn't going to let Jordan hear what he only wants to hear. He'll tell him his real opinion, and although I don't think Barkley would do any better in basketball decisions, he's right when he says that Michael has to keep himself away from "yes men".

Exactly Barkley may be crazy at times, but the guy is honest, that's the problem with Jordan if you criticize him he's going to kick, scream, and fire you so you agree with him in order to keep your job.

rocketfuel
10-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Barkley's job is to talk basketball. :laugh: How's he supposed to avoid knocking the worst franchise in the NBA?

Oh I don't disagree with what he said. Just wondering how Jordan can stay friends with him. Barkely blabs about everything they talk about privately and doesn't have that filter that friends usually have with each other. Friends tell each other the truth, but they usually figure out a way to soften the blow. Barkely just elbows him in the mouth with the "truth." The thing is Barkely is pretty sensitive when people criticize him, so it's not so great when he's on the receiving end of it.

Guppyfighter
10-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Micheal Jordan is a ****ing *******.

TyrionLannister
10-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Not surprised at all. Jordan's still as hypercompetitive as ever. That being said, his GM and ownership skills leave a lot to be desired (and I'm being generous).

rocketfuel
10-29-2012, 11:53 AM
I would like a transcript of what Jordan said to Barkely. A video would be even better.

KnicksorBust
10-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Micheal Jordan is a ****ing *******.

Thanks for bringing a lot to the table.

rockbottom2010
10-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Imagine a conversation that consisted of Charles Barkley, Ozzie Guillen and Rex Ryan...... Lullz

don't forget rex's twin brother rob ryan...put jim mora into the mix....playoffs? lol

Nick O
10-29-2012, 12:11 PM
ya well Barkley is a ****ing moron... hes needs to shut up/// like forever.. get the **** off TV

tnewkirk
10-29-2012, 12:12 PM
michael jordan has always been like this, he always took stuff personally thats why he practiced and trained so hard to be the best he always felt like he had something to prove. and now to go from the best player of all time to a horrible owner is a big hit to the ego, barkley is always honest thats what i like about him.

faze38
10-29-2012, 12:34 PM
lol hes just mad cos barkley said lebron has the potential to be > mj

I doubt that that was the stupidest thing that Barkley ever said!

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-29-2012, 12:35 PM
lol

faze38
10-29-2012, 12:41 PM
michael jordan has always been like this, he always took stuff personally thats why he practiced and trained so hard to be the best he always felt like he had something to prove. and now to go from the best player of all time to a horrible owner is a big hit to the ego, barkley is always honest thats what i like about him.

ding ding ding we got a winner!

mightybosstone
10-29-2012, 12:44 PM
ya well Barkley is a ****ing moron... hes needs to shut up/// like forever.. get the **** off TV

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. He and Kenny make the best television duo covering the NBA and there isn't a close second. Does he sound educated all the time? No. But he's brutally honest, he knows the sport and he doesn't pull punches.

And he certainly isn't wrong to call out Jordan for the horrible job he's done managing that atrocious franchise. MJ has swung and missed on dozens of decisions, and he should be held accountable for that.

Sadds The Gr8
10-29-2012, 01:00 PM
MJ expects everyone to bow to his feet for his playing and branding career, and can't take it when someone has the balls to say that he's sucked at being an owner. In his defense, it kinda sucks hearing that stuff from a friend, but it's the man's job to analyze basketball...

JasonJohnHorn
10-29-2012, 01:03 PM
There are two ways to measure a team's success. One; Is it winning? Two; Is it making money?

Jordan's team is losing money, and it finished with the worst record in the history of the league. What other possible assement could one come up with?

Guppyfighter
10-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks for bringing a lot to the table.

I said something relevent to the article. Thanks for being a pretentious douchebag.

DoMeFavors
10-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Cant believe people are focusing on his bobcats, Michael doesnt have to say anything his name speaks for itself. The great bball player of all time.

Gritz
10-29-2012, 01:58 PM
That's what's wrong with society today, people get mad when you tell the truth about them if they see it as offensive

jam
10-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Cant believe people are focusing on his bobcats, Michael doesnt have to say anything his name speaks for itself. The great bball player of all time.

Does this make him a good owner?

THE MTL
10-29-2012, 02:04 PM
MJ 6 rings, Barkeley 0 rings! And MJ was the sole reason why he never won. I would be mad too.

LAKERMANIA
10-29-2012, 02:05 PM
I feel like this is life getting back at Jordan for all the winning in the 90s..

torocan
10-29-2012, 02:09 PM
There's an old saying in business... stay within your circle of competence.

In other words, realize what you're good/great at, and realize what you're NOT good/great at.

If you MUST do something you are NOT good/great at, be smart enough to HIRE people who are good/great at it and STAY OUT OF THEIR WAY.

MJ is the greatest basketball player of all time. That's his circle of competence.

So far, his time as the owner of the Bobcats does not appear to argue that running a team is within his circle of competence.

Perhaps he needs to learn that there are alot of things that he does not know, but people he can pay that DO know those things...

MrfadeawayJB
10-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Does the truth hurt Michael???

Dont get me wrong, Michael Jordan is one of my fav players of all time but he has been a awful owner

Hawkeye15
10-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Barkley is spot on, and he is right, everyone with fame or ego needs a friend who is straight up with them.

Jordan leads the list on why taking ex-players opinions as gospel will get you nowhere.

Hawkeye15
10-29-2012, 02:55 PM
There's an old saying in business... stay within your circle of competence.

In other words, realize what you're good/great at, and realize what you're NOT good/great at.

If you MUST do something you are NOT good/great at, be smart enough to HIRE people who are good/great at it and STAY OUT OF THEIR WAY.

MJ is the greatest basketball player of all time. That's his circle of competence.

So far, his time as the owner of the Bobcats does not appear to argue that running a team is within his circle of competence.

Perhaps he needs to learn that there are alot of things that he does not know, but people he can pay that DO know those things...

And here is why owners many times fail as managers/owners. They are SO competitive, they would rather roll the dice and make the decisions then let someone more capable do it for them.

"I can't manage a team or evaluate talent? Eff that, watch this!"

With the 1st pick in the draft, the Wizards select Kwame Brown.....

mightybosstone
10-29-2012, 03:29 PM
MJ 6 rings, Barkeley 0 rings! And MJ was the sole reason why he never won. I would be mad too.

What does this have to do with anything? Barkley certainly wasn't ripping MJ as a player.

KnickaBocka.44
10-29-2012, 03:34 PM
MJ needs to get better advice on pretty much everything...including his wardrobe choices.

http://wtfismikewearing.tumblr.com/

You're welcome. :D

TyrionLannister
10-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Random idea:

Any NBA franchise that willingly allows an ex-player, coach, former scout, or anyone without legit business training to play GM should be fined heavily by the commissioner's office each season. The fact that most of those people have no negotiating experience in that sense is half the reason hilariously overpaid contract happens.

TheNumber37
10-29-2012, 04:02 PM
They just need to force a trade with a proven player, throw an absurd amount of money towards them and go from there.
Assets: Kemba, MKG, Biyombo, Tyrus (desperately needs a new situation). High draft picks. Cap Space absorption.
Go After someone basic like Bargnani.
OR And as a Knick fan I wouldn't mind if they made a deal for Amare.

MassoDio
10-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Barkley is absolutely right.

And he should be making these statements as a basketball analyst.

However, there was absolutely no reason for him to talk about his private conversation with Jordan. That is where he becomes a douchebag of a friend. Talk about how bad Jordan is as an owner. Criticize his every move. Talk about how inept he has been at running the franchise, making draft picks and trades, and hiring yes men to surround him. Shut your mouth about what you and Jordan talked about in private.

Again though, he is absolutely correct in his assessment of how Jordan has been as an owner, and where his down falls are.

THE MTL
10-29-2012, 05:16 PM
What does this have to do with anything? Barkley certainly wasn't ripping MJ as a player.

It has nothing to do with anything but u have to understand human nature. You cant talk to a guy and criticize him when you're not even on the same level.

MJ has 6 rings and GM/owner position. Barkely has 0 rings, is on weight watchers, and calls games via TNT. If someone like that criticized me about my work i'd tell him to STFU too.

PS- MJ is a horrible owner and Barkely is correct, but still he is not in position to say ***** lol.

Nick O
10-29-2012, 05:47 PM
I couldn't disagree more with this statement. He and Kenny make the best television duo covering the NBA and there isn't a close second. Does he sound educated all the time? No. But he's brutally honest, he knows the sport and he doesn't pull punches.

And he certainly isn't wrong to call out Jordan for the horrible job he's done managing that atrocious franchise. MJ has swung and missed on dozens of decisions, and he should be held accountable for that.

i got to dissagre... barkley got his job because hes charles barkley... have you watched him? he was an amazing player but he doesnt know what hes talking about... He reads everything off a teleprompter. doesnt have an original thought. he doesnt know what teams players are on. he sounds so stupid. I loved shaq but hes the same.. Chuck tries to stir up contraversy for the hell of it... not a fan of his

Nick O
10-29-2012, 05:48 PM
MJ is a bad owner... Barkley is a bad Analyst... and that about sums everything up .. they both need to quit while they are behind..

Hawkeye15
10-29-2012, 06:03 PM
It has nothing to do with anything but u have to understand human nature. You cant talk to a guy and criticize him when you're not even on the same level.

MJ has 6 rings and GM/owner position. Barkely has 0 rings, is on weight watchers, and calls games via TNT. If someone like that criticized me about my work i'd tell him to STFU too.

PS- MJ is a horrible owner and Barkely is correct, but still he is not in position to say ***** lol.

Barkley is paid to be an NBA analyst. Its his job to say things like that. MJ's ego obviously was hurt, he retaliated, end of story. Is Barkley supposed to say "no comment" when asked any question involving the business ventures and results of a player was considered better?

MassoDio
10-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Barkley is paid to be an NBA analyst. Its his job to say things like that. MJ's ego obviously was hurt, he retaliated, end of story. Is Barkley supposed to say "no comment" when asked any question involving the business ventures and results of a player was considered better?

Barkley is paid to say the things he said about Jordan as an owner. He is not paid to talk about the private conversation between him and Jordan after the fact. That is the only issue I have with Barkley in this instance.

He is absolutely right about everything he has said about Jordan as an owner though. And he should stick to talking about that, and not what has transpired between him and Jordan about his comments.

Hawkeye15
10-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Barkley is paid to say the things he said about Jordan as an owner. He is not paid to talk about the private conversation between him and Jordan after the fact. That is the only issue I have with Barkley in this instance.

He is absolutely right about everything he has said about Jordan as an owner though. And he should stick to talking about that, and not what has transpired between him and Jordan about his comments.

I have no problem with your first paragraph. Some things should remain private.

AsfanSince99
10-29-2012, 08:19 PM
http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2012/10/25/charles-barkley-tiger-woods-michael-jordan-nba/
I wouldn't say Jordan is cheap, he's just a smart business man in the make-up of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad".

UPRock
10-29-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm waiting for his call but nothing yet.

AIRMAR72
10-29-2012, 08:58 PM
charles barkley is simply mad and hating because MJ dosent hang with his big mouth butt they only speak when they run into each other MJ dont even talk to charles over the phone AT ALL and chuck sound so dumb calling MJ his best friend mike cant stand charles that motor mouth clown

mightybosstone
10-29-2012, 09:43 PM

This is one of the the dumbest arguments I've ever heard, because NO ONE is on MJ's level as a player. Does that mean no one can criticize MJ when he makes mistakes in his life? If anyone should be qualified to criticize Michael, shouldn't it be Barkley, who is a top 25 all-time player, knows MJ and is a professional analyst paid to do it for a living? MJ's playing days and his career now as an owner are completely different things. And he is not above being criticized for doing a ****** job just because he was the GOAT. It's sad if you're incapable of separating the two.

i got to dissagre... barkley got his job because hes charles barkley... have you watched him? he was an amazing player but he doesnt know what hes talking about... He reads everything off a teleprompter. doesnt have an original thought. he doesnt know what teams players are on. he sounds so stupid. I loved shaq but hes the same.. Chuck tries to stir up contraversy for the hell of it... not a fan of his
And yet Barkley and Smith are easily the highest rated NBA show and regularly considered by most NBA people as the best duo on television. Simmons, himself, constantly praises Barkley for his job as an analyst. And if you think the guy doesn't have an original thought or reads off a teleprompter, I generally question how much of the show you've ever seen.

PHX2daDEATH
10-30-2012, 08:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLzBMGXfK4c.. lol zZzz so what Jordan is a dousche ...greatest player of all time.. total dousche..maybe rightfully so.. he's got every right to be..

theheatles
10-30-2012, 09:19 AM
"Michael is as cheap as they come, trust me."

Damn right!

About 6 years ago, MJ played a round of golf at Grand Oaks Country Club aka Bushwood Country Club with Lawrence Taylor. LT beat Jordan down, ftw. My brother-in-law was working as a bag boy, to clean clubs and transport bags from car to cart, cart to car. He cleaned up Jordans and brought his bags to his car. MJ then puts his hands in his pocket, he starts reaching around trying to grab something specific in his pockets, and MJ pulls out 2 quarters, 2 ****ing quarters. $.50, what a scumbag. When I play on a public course I usually tip $2-5 depending on how quick, friendly and informative about the course the bag guy is.

torocan
10-30-2012, 10:25 AM
"Michael is as cheap as they come, trust me."

Damn right!

About 6 years ago, MJ played a round of golf at Grand Oaks Country Club aka Bushwood Country Club with Lawrence Taylor. LT beat Jordan down, ftw. My brother-in-law was working as a bag boy, to clean clubs and transport bags from car to cart, cart to car. He cleaned up Jordans and brought his bags to his car. MJ then puts his hands in his pocket, he starts reaching around trying to grab something specific in his pockets, and MJ pulls out 2 quarters, 2 ****ing quarters. $.50, what a scumbag. When I play on a public course I usually tip $2-5 depending on quick, friendly and informative about the course the bag guy is.

I heard a similar story in the early 90's.

Friend of mine was a dealer at a poker room in Vegas. Said that Jordan was playing Texas Hold'Em (low limit if you can believe it), won a decent sized pot... and tipped $1. His tip was less than 1%. Normal tips for the pot he won would have been $3-$5.

So yah, the cheap thing is true as far as I know.